we-can-code-it-logo

We Can Code IT

Akron, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh

We Can Code IT

We Can Code IT is a full-stack software development bootcamp with campuses in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, offering a 14-week in-person program, and a 16-week online and in-person program called FlexCode. The Cleveland in-person program has a focus on C# / .NET, while the Columbus in-person and FlexCode programs focus on Java. All programs cover Javascript, HTML5, CSS3, MVC, Structured Query Language (SQL) and more.

We Can Code IT prepares students for software development careers with their Career Difference program, which helps students with career development from day one.

Founded by 20-year software engineering veteran Mel McGee, We Can Code IT's mission is to promote diversity and inclusion in technology. They offer grants that are applied towards tuition if you are a member of an underrepresented group in tech.

Recent We Can Code IT Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (78) reviews for We Can Code IT →

Recent We Can Code IT News

Read all (21) articles about We Can Code IT →
  • C# In-Person Bootcamp

C#, CSS, Front End, Git, HTML, JavaScript, .NET, Scrum, SQL, Agile, GitHub, Quality Assurance Testing, React.js, REST
    LocationCleveland
    C# In-Person Bootcamp
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee and$50 background check fee.
    Financing Available through SkillsFund/Affirm, ISA options, VA, and so many more.
    Tuition PlansMultiple financing options including grants and scholarships! See https://wecancodeit.org/pricing/ for more information.
    Refund / GuaranteeIf it's not right, we'll make it right!
    ScholarshipUp to $2000 for EVERY student who is underrepresented in tech, low-income, or has been affected by COVID-19. See https://wecancodeit.org/pricing/ for more information.
    Minimum Skill LevelMust know computer basics like typing, using the internet, etc. Must pass entrance assessments and interviews.
    Prep WorkInterested in seeing if coding is right for you? We offer free preparatory sessions via email and online training. See https://wecancodeit.org/prebootcamp/ to get started!
    January 10, 2022 - Cleveland Apply by January 03, 2022
  • Full-time Nationwide Remote Coding Bootcamp

Agile, CSS, Git, GitHub, HTML, Java, JavaScript, MVC, Quality Assurance Testing, React.js, REST, Scrum
    LocationColumbus, Cleveland, Akron, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh
    Full-time Nationwide Remote Online Java Full Stack Coding Bootcamp By working in a simulated remote work environment as a full-stack Java software developer, you will emerge from the We Can Code IT Coding Bootcamp with skills to start a remote (or in-person) career in web development, software development, software test-engineer, QA, and related highly-stable, and high-paying fields! The benefit of our unique collaborative approach, the Korda Method of training, is that you have a natural head start over other graduates as you’ll be completing projects as if you were working in the field! Build Your Future With We Can Code IT Throughout your software development education, you’ll learn job skills that will last a lifetime. Your student success coach will work with you to discover your strengths, learn your passion, and communicate these to employers through resume-building, Linked In networking, interviewing skills, personal branding, and more! SOFTWARE & WEB DEVELOPMENT LANGUAGES Learn modern implementations of Java, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Object-Oriented programming, APIs, REST along with supporting languages and tools! REMOTE SOFTWARE TEAM SKILLS Our expert GitHub trained educators will guide you through Git and GitHub to share your code and project status with teams. You’ll learn to use tools like Slack to communicate with your team and share ideas. Online conferencing with recorded workshops will allow you to see your teammates and instructors easily. Google Jam Board will help you ideate together. Other pair-programming tools, and remote sharing tools will be utilized so that you have a full understanding of how best to collaborate with teams online. . AGILE PRACTICES Test-driven development, pair-programming, and Scrum are at the heart of our working paradigm. Clean coding practices start in week one. Unlike other colleges or coding bootcamps, we teach you the best techniques so that you develop solid software development practices that will put you ahead of the pack, and last a lifetime! PORTFOLIO BUILDING Develop your software and web skills while working on problems and projects, ultimately giving you a portfolio of work! CAREER SERVICES We help over 90% of our career-seeking graduates start new careers within 6 months of graduation!
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee and$50 background check fee.

January 10, 2022 - Detroit Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Pittsburgh Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Columbus Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Cleveland Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Akron Apply by January 03, 2022
    January 10, 2022 - Cincinnati Apply by January 03, 2022
  • Java In-Person Coding Bootcamp

CSS, HTML, Java, JavaScript, SQL, Git, Front End, Scrum, Agile, GitHub, MVC, React.js, REST
    LocationColumbus
    Java In-Person Coding Bootcamp
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee + $50 background check

January 10, 2022 - Columbus Apply by January 03, 2022
  • Part-time Nationwide Remote Coding Bootcamp

CSS, Git, HTML, Java, JavaScript, Front End, Scrum, SQL, Agile, GitHub, MVC, React.js, REST, Product Management
    Start Date October 08, 2021
    LocationCleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Akron, Cincinnati
    Part-time Nationwide Remote Online Java Full Stack Coding Bootcamp We've perfected the part-time program since 2015 to meet the needs of non-traditional students who have jobs, families, and obligations outside of school but still want to change careers quickly! Part asynchronous through our award-winning curriculum's learning modules, and part synchronous via real-time online "code jams" where you build projects with your teams every other weekend, you'll learn to build full-stack software and web applications over the course of 22-weeks! By working in a simulated remote work environment as a full-stack Java software developer, you will emerge from the We Can Code IT Coding Bootcamp with skills to start a remote (or in-person) career in web development, software development, software test-engineer, QA, and related highly-stable, and high-paying fields! The benefit of our unique collaborative approach, the Korda Method of training, is that you have a natural head start over other graduates as you’ll be completing projects as if you were working in the field! Build Your Future With We Can Code IT Throughout your software development education, you’ll learn job skills that will last a lifetime. Your student success coach will work with you to discover your strengths, learn your passion, and communicate these to employers through resume-building, Linked In networking, interviewing skills, personal branding, and more! SOFTWARE & WEB DEVELOPMENT LANGUAGES Learn modern implementations of Java, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Object-Oriented programming, APIs, REST along with supporting languages and tools! REMOTE SOFTWARE TEAM SKILLS Our expert GitHub trained educators will guide you through Git and GitHub to share your code and project status with teams. You’ll learn to use tools like Slack to communicate with your team and share ideas. Online conferencing with recorded workshops will allow you to see your teammates and instructors easily. Google Jam Board will help you ideate together. Other pair-programming tools, and remote sharing tools will be utilized so that you have a full understanding of how best to collaborate with teams online. . AGILE PRACTICES Test-driven development, pair-programming, and Scrum are at the heart of our working paradigm. Clean coding practices start in week one. Unlike other colleges or coding bootcamps, we teach you the best techniques so that you develop solid software development practices that will put you ahead of the pack, and last a lifetime! PORTFOLIO BUILDING Develop your software and web skills while working on problems and projects, ultimately giving you a portfolio of work! CAREER SERVICES We help over 90% of our career-seeking graduates start new careers within 6 months of graduation!
    Deposit$125 Registration Fee + $50

October 08, 2021 - Cincinnati Apply by September 30, 2021
    October 08, 2021 - Cleveland Apply by September 24, 2021
  • James Sayers   User Photo
    James Sayers • Software QA I • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I was very happy with program. By going all in on everything I was taught at We Can {Code} It I was able to get a great job just over one week after graduation. The program provides a great foundation for the understanding of full-stack software development and provides the skills to locate needed information for a given situation. That being said, and this will be true for the rest of your career in tech, it's up to you to be enthusiastic about technology and dive as deep as you possibly can into the material because you will never stop learning in this field. This program is the beginning of your career in tech. I utilized the skills and techniques learned from career services to land my first job in software, and I do not have a a 4 year degree.
  • Glad I did it.
    - 3/18/2017
    Stephen  User Photo
    Stephen • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

We Can {Code} IT has a very solid program that provides both the skills and knowledge to start working as a developer along with the assistance in searching for a position.

They don’t just teach how to program but also how to find answers and solve problems. The weekly projects reinforced what was taught. Often when the project was assigned it would seem very difficult but it would always prove that I was learning. The final three week project taught time management and team work skills.

The career search assistance was just as valuable. This went beyond assistance with resumes, LinkedIn and interview skills but confidence building and self awareness.

The instructors and staff want you to succeed and are available for assistance to even outside of normal hours and after graduation.

• Zachary Tabler • Graduate
    I recently graduated from We Can Code it in September of this year (2021) and had a great experience. Before We Can Code It, I had relatively zero coding experience. I tried learning myself on Free Code Camp before thinking there had to be an accelerated way. That's when I discovered boot camps.  The magic of WCCI, and what set WCCI apart for me, was the diversity within the program. The diversity of cultures and work experiences and the diversity of thought here is just so rich. I really wish I could replicate it in all areas of my life.

I also can't say enough about the instructors. Our cohort had individuals working day shifts, night shifts, weekend shifts, you name it. And still, it felt like our instructors were always available. In addition to our classroom sessions that ran four days out of the week, instructors made time during the days and evenings each week for study sessions, and they had daily office hours for 1 on 1 meetings. It really was above and beyond.

In terms of career readiness, We Can Code It had us create things you would expect, like a resume, a cover letter, a LinkedIn profile, but other things go much beyond that. We also created a list of our non-negotiables, in terms of things that we want in our next job, a list of questions important to us individually to ask in a job interview, and we even did some mock interviews to practice our skills and interviews with people in the tech industry already.

Overall, I really couldn't have asked for more out of a boot camp. My experience was great.
  • Aaron Barclay • Graduate
    I had only basic html experience going in. I found the weekly projects too easy. I was not prepared for the coding tests I encountered in job interviews. The school also vastly oversold our salary expectations for the central Ohio job market. At the end of the boot camp the only classmates I knew of who got job offers also had college degrees, so a pricy certificate alone is hardly a job guarantee. I ended up going back to my previous career. I’m now making double in another industry what the recruiters were talking about on graduation day at boot camp.
    Response From: Colleen of We Can Code IT
    Title: Marketing Assistant
    Friday, Nov 19 2021
    Hello Aaron, our team has taken your concerns into consideration and implemented measures to improve our bootcamp since your cohort took place. While we apologize that your experience was not what you had hoped for, our placement statistics were not incorrect. The placement rate for 2017 (Spring, Fall, and Summer) cohorts were 92% and the average salary back in 2017 for that cohort was around $60k. This is not misaligned with what we've promoted.

If you would like to express any further concerns to one of our staff members, feel free to contact us at hello@wecancodeit.org. Thank you!

• Boot camp
    - 7/27/2021
    Mark palmer • Software developer associate • Graduate
    It was an amazing experience. The instructors are fantastic and it was fun. I met really great people too.
  • Ed Carroll • Graduate
    Was a great experience in learning software development on a practical level. Will utilize what I learned to chart a new career course.
  • Alex G • Full-stack Web Developer • Graduate
    WCCI greatly exceeded my expectations. The instructors' actions show that they are clearly passionate about clean code and helping us learn. They are very, very good at what they do, always nudging us towards a clearer understanding of concepts rather than just giving us the answers.

Ben taught test-driven design (TDD), which is not only a valuable body of skills but a rare one. Since graduation I’ve observed that TDD is often little more than a buzzword at many companies. But I came out of the program knowing unit testing and integration testing like the back of my hand, and it makes the code all the more maintainable and easier to read. (TDD just happened to tip the scales in my favor when I got my first job out of boot camp. The onsite technical evaluation was literally two hours of Jest testing as I solved a kata for the proctor. Two hours!) The career guidance is priceless—you just can’t find that kind of local information on the internet, and working with Lacey to polish my resume and prepare for interviews was an absolute joy.

One thing I should add is that the program is very much oriented towards learning by doing, and the emphasis was on building high-quality, clean apps as quickly as possible. This came at the expense of say formal knowledge testing or theory, which are by no means trivial; I say this because of the 100+ positions I applied for, quite a few employers grilled me on Java theory and object-oriented theory. This is something to be aware if you plan to apply to companies known for quizzing applicants on theory, and there certainly are plenty of those around town. JP Morgan Chase is one of them. I wouldn't say this is a shortcoming of the program, but a recruiter from one consultancy downtown said that in his experience, WCCI grads are strong on practice, weak on theory. I personally would have liked the daily morning quizzes that they reportedly had at Tech Elevator.

Anyway, the environment at WCCI is supportive, and the expert curation and guidance make this place worth every penny. I also made friends with my classmates, which was especially important since I had moved to Ohio two months before taking the course and didn't have any friends in town before then.
  • janvigupta • Digital marketer

BISDM  is providing  the best education for students to achieve their goal in Digital Marketing and we are used to  all the latest techniques of Digital Marketing with live projects, 25 advance Modules and 100% job assistance.

Digital Marketing Course, Digital Marketing Courses, Best Digital Marketing Course, Digital Marketing Institute, Best Digital Marketing Institute, Online Marketing Courses, Online Marketing Course, Digital Marketing Course in Delhi, Digital Marketing Institute in Delhi, Marketing Courses, Marketing Course, Digital Marketing Course near me,

• Grace N • Graduate

I attended We Can Code Flexcode program in 2019. I had been trying to get into an IT program for a while but with a family to support, I could not afford to quit employment. This program allowed me to remain employed and take care of my family while going to school. This made it even more intense and I basically had no life outside or school and work for 16 weeks. I have to say however that this was the best decision i could have ever made for the sake of my career growth and while the coursework was intense, I was very fortunate to have been a part of an amazing cohort with brilliant and hardworking team members, dedicated instructors and career coach. I love that even after graduation, I remain a member of WCCI and they are always willing to provide extra coaching and mentorship. I got a great job right after graduation and have nothing but great recommendations for this program.

- 1/26/2019
    Shane • IT Apps Developer Assoc. • Graduate

We Can Code IT is a fantastic program to help get a career in software started. You will learn many things about how to be a successful developer. The flexcode program also teaches you skills on how to manage your own work without someone looking over your shoulder all the time. You are responsible to make sure your work is done during each section of the course. The instructors are very knowledgable and friendly. The administrative staff is also involved and will help you in any way they can.

Post bootcamp is where to real work starts. Learning how to code is one thing, finding a job and applying yourself to the industry is another. The bootcamp will set you up with many opportunities to do well, but ultimately it is up to you to take the correct steps and go on the interviews and speak to that recruiter for the company you want to work for.

If you are a self motivated person and want to really learn a new skill and break into a new industry I strongly recommend this bootcamp. They will give you all the tools you need to succeed.

• Joshua Echt • Graduate

As a former journalist and editor, I've always wondered how company names are created.

When I first heard of this school, I was confused by the title: We Can Code IT, and I kept wondering why IT was all-caps. Did they forget a copyeditor? Did their caps lock get stuck in the down position? But then I realized it was a reference to the Information Techology industry.

And it's an industry that I'm now proud to be a part of, thanks to the learning tools and skills I gained in my 14-week cohort at the school. I left journalism and editing because I wasn't being challenged enough, so my accountant told me about coding schools in February 2018. One of his clients went to WCCI and successfully transitioned from a botany major to tech developer.

That spring, I looked at rival bootcamps and while they were just as qualified as WCCI I felt like I was just a number. So I ultimately signed on with WCCI and went through the admissions process in August. I started the Fall Full-Time Cohort on Sept. 4. The school has locations in CLE and Columbus and I chose the Columbus campus, nestled in a lovely brick upstairs office in Old North Columbus.

Note: There are two options--the full-time cohort, which meets M-F from 930-330--or FlexCode, which meets on weekends twice a month, as well as in-person sessions with instructors during one weekday. Columbus classes use the Java language, while Cleveland classes use the .NET language.

The classwork was very challenging. The first few weeks were spent in a console app, Eclipse, and then we transitioned into building projects through Springboot MVC and the Gitbash command line system. Eight weeks were spent on core Java, and the remainder of the class was spent on React/Javascript, some HTML/CSS5 and a day on SQL. We focused on test-driven development and pair programming throughout as well.

The last three weeks of the class were spent on the final project. Our 14-person class was split into three teams and we worked on building practical, functional apps with cross-functionality. The app my team built was a cooking timer application, and we presented it to employers at Demonstration Day on 12/14.

Throughout the class, we also met with Lacey N., who was our Career Services manager. She was extremely helpful in our weekly sessions regarding job interview preparation, and I credit her with helping me land a job three days after graduation, making about 16% more in salary than my previous job. She taught us job skills that progressively built on each other--not unlike how we learned coding skills--such as basic interviewing, behavioral responses and body language, resume creation and cover letters. That culminated in mock interviews, and then actual interviews with real employers.

I can tell you that the cohort got along well, the instructors were excellent and took time to help us, and the program itself was cohesive (both tech and career services).

As a former journalist NOW TURNED tech developer and coder, it doesn't matter how the name was created. The only thing that matters now is getting the word out about how good WCCI is, and how it can change your life as well! YOU can code IT!

• Maggie • Web Developer • Graduate

I completed the boot camp in the Fall of 2018 and started a Web Developer job January of 2019. You can definitely find success through this boot camp! You learn A TON of information. You get what you put into the program. All the resources are there, but it's up to you to use them to learn and understand the material.

My advice is for anyone considering a software coding bootcamp:
    1. SHOW UP. Don't be late to class and pay attention! Try writing down notes in class.
    2. Ask questions! Teachers and classmates are willing to help you. (also Google!)
    3. Do extra practice/research at home/out of class hours.. Take advantage of any tutoring, even if you feel you understand the material!
    4. Lastly.. NETWORK! Do what the career coach tells you to do and you won't regret it.

My experience with We Can Code IT had some speed bumps with teacher changes, but at the end it taught me how to deal with unexpected changes which I'm sure I will face in ' the real world '. It's a fast pace course and you'll have to make adjustments. The teaching staff was always willing to help out and answer your questions or clarify any of your confusions. They really want you to succeed but it's up to you and your desire for your own success!