university-of-toronto-school-of-continuing-studies-boot-camps-logo

University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Boot Camps

Toronto, Toronto, Toronto, Toronto

University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Boot Camps

The University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Boot Camps offer a 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development program, and 24-week, part-time programs in data analytics and cybersecurity in Toronto and Mississauga, Canada. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, MongoDB, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. The data analytics curriculum covers a broad array of technologies like Programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript (D3.js, Leaflet.js), HTML5/CSS, API Interactions, SQL, Tableau, Fundamental Statistics, Machine Learning, R, Git/GitHub, and more. The cybersecurity curriculum takes a multidisciplinary approach in attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. Learners will enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all learners will complete a pre-course tutorial. UofT SCS Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and individuals who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skillset.

Learners will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. On successful completion, learners will receive a non-credit Certificate of Completion from the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies (the boot camp is not a School of Continuing Studies certificate program) and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data analytics, or cybersecurity.

University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Boot Camps are offered in collaboration with Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.0

all (32) reviews for University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Boot Camps →

Recent University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

Toronto
      At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp, learners get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
    • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

Toronto
      This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Learners will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all learners will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, learners will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
      Interview
    • Full-Stack Flex - Full-Time (Toronto)

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
      Toronto
      UofT SCS Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
      Interview
    • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time (Mississauga)

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
      Toronto
      The University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Learners have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Learners receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position learners for success in the field.
      Interview
    • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time (Toronto)

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Java
    • Full-Stack Web Development (Online) Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
      Toronto
      Learn to code wherever you are. The full-stack, online boot camp curriculum includes HTML/CSS, Advanced JavaScript, Ruby, Code IDEs, Git/GitHub, Database Modelling, Complex Database Relationships, and more. Through hands-on projects and lessons, learners will complete the coding program in 24 weeks over the course of a self-paced learning path. Students receive support from a variety of channels, ensuring they are never alone throughout their boot camp journey, whether online or in-person. University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies online coding boot camp gives you the opportunity to “think like a developer.” In addition to learning many of the most in-demand languages and creating your own personal portfolio, you will also partake in an 8-week Agile Team Project that mimics a real-world environment. Learners are assigned a piece of the full project (division of tasks into short phases of work and frequent reassessment of adaptation of plans) and then finalize the project together with the assistance of an industry leader who has on average 5-7 years of experience as a software engineer. At the end of this online coding program, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies, helping you stand out to employers.

• Paul  User Photo
      Paul • Java Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I joined Coding Boot Camp after finishing my undergraduate studies in Mathematics (statistics). By the time I graduated from this full-stack program, I have learned a lot regards for the full scope of web dev. I really like the instructor(Ed) that bring knowledge patient and passionate all the time. Also, the Ed 1-to-1 discussion make me feel that he actually caring his students. In the middle of the program, I started my full-time job (software deveopment related) and feel that under so much pressure. Great thanks to my instructor and Admin for helping me release the stress. Also, I am easily to get comfused while doing in-class exercise but finishing weekly assignments and group projects push me understanding the material better.

If I have to be picky, I would suggest there will be more assignmnet supports for group project to assure I am able to deliver the best. Another future suggestions is that I hope there will be more time for introducing tech/tools (popular in the trend nowadays). We did some angular, react, java (basic syntax but not spring MVC as backend) but I look forward to seeing those materials a bit more since I am really interested in using spring framwork. But that is just a minor critque.

At the very last I would like to thanks again for this program not only for what I have learned but also I had some precious friendship. The learning environment is positive and supportive. I would also recommend my friends for the coding boot camp if they want to learn web development from scratch.

Response From: Boot Camp Team of University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Boot Camps
      Wednesday, Jul 17 2019
      Thank you for your review, Paul! We're happy you found your experience to be so valuable. We're truly passionate about helping learners every step of the way, so we're thrilled that you felt supported by our team. We are continually striving to provide a learning environment and curriculum that resonates with our learners' goals, so we appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on completing the course! We wish you continued success in all you do.
    • James Jean-Jacques  User Photo
      James Jean-Jacques • Sr Consultant - Solution Architect • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am a senior IT professional with over 20 years of experience in enterprise environments.   One of the challenges that I faced was the trend of IT digital transformation, emerging and disruptive technologies.  As open source tools became more popular and innovative it provided the flexible platform on creating applications and services.  As a result, I needed to learn these various software tools.  My challenge is that I didn't want to take single courses for each software tool which would be incredibly time intensive.  I was really looking for the training that a boot camp environment would provide to allow me to simultaneously learn all these tools.  As I was doing my research I came across this program and once I reviewed the syllabus I realized that this is what I needed to give me what I wanted in order to excel my career in this new digital age.  I evaluated how the scheduling would impact my current lifestyle and found that the hours and commitment was manageable.  This is why I chose this boot camp.

I started this program in January 2019 and I was full of excitement! As I knew that once I acquired these skill sets, it would elevate my career. I quickly found that the program was quite intense.  In addition, the instructors were extremely knowledgeable.  My favourite part of this program is that everything we do is hands-on!  We don't learn just from theory but work on things as we go.  We did a lot of group projects that mimic real-life business cases, which made the program very relevant.  I really enjoyed the facilities and environment of the learning space that we were situated in as students.  It was very conducive to group learning--everyone was from diverse employment backgrounds, which made our skills really unique.

I truly recommend this program for any senior IT person like myself that are looking for a refresher, skill updates and those who are looking at data analytics.  This program provides you that one stop shop and the price is very fair!  My advice is to commit the time, attend every class, review the assignments as much as possible, and look for YouTube videos for additional learning on each topic, as this will help a lot!  If you put the time, your success would be unparalleled.

Friday, May 10 2019
      Thank you, James! We're glad the program is helping you advance your current skill set. It's great to hear you've found our instructional team to be knowledgeable and that you're enjoying the real-world group projects. We appreciate the advice you provided for prospective learners—you definitely have to commit extensive time and review each assignment. Continue studying hard, we look forward to you successfully completing the course!
    • Elizabeth Santonato  User Photo
      Elizabeth Santonato • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Six months ago I started a ‘Boot Camp’ program in data analytics. The past six months have presented me with some of the greatest challenges I have faced in my academic career. My brain often hurt as I struggled to process complex coding algorithms completely unfamiliar to me. On many occasions I asked myself, “What am I doing here?” and “Why am I doing this?” but I only had to turn to the incredible support network provided by the course administrator, the instructor, the team of assistant instructors and my fellow course mates, and in every instance I was given all of the support and encouragement I needed to continue on.

It’s truly incredible how much information was packed into six months. Every week there was a new program or language or library or module to tackle. The course began with work in Excel and moved to VBA. From there we delved straight into the python programming language and its various libraries, including primarily pandas and matplotlib. We developed APIs and went on to SQL. Our second term brought us to HTML and CSS. With front-end development completing our program’s journey we learned to code in javascript, d3 and visualize data using plotly. The entire process wrapped up with additional lectures, covering topics in big data, intelligent algorithms and machine learning, working with programs like PowerBI, Hadoop, and NLP.

The course moved at an incredibly fast pace, and our regular meetings three times a week eventually began to merge into one seemingly long dataframe as we worked through our projects to reach our final day of presentations. At times I had to put my life on hold, and it will take me another six months to process everything more fully, but the tools are with me now, the foundation is laid, and I am prepared to take these skills with me on my journey going forward. I am now well-equipped to enter to the field with a complete set of analytics skills in my arsenal, armed with a Certificate in Data Analytics from the University of Toronto. It was a hard-earned effort, and I have no doubt in my mind that it will be well-worth the time and money I have invested into it. Thank you!

Tuesday, Apr 16 2019
      Thank you for sharing your experience, Elizabeth! We're happy you felt fully supported by our entire boot camp team and enjoyed the curriculum. We commend all your hard work and are glad to hear you feel well-equipped to enter the field. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we are rooting you on as you move forward!
    • Minna Wu  User Photo
      Minna Wu • Digital Marketing Analyst • Student Verified via LinkedIn
      I'm currently a month away from completing the first Data Analytics Boot camp cohort in Canada. It's been a wonderful experience, meeting and getting to know so many people in our closely knit class. Our instructor (Piro) goes above and beyond, delivering extra hour long sessions that demo the hottest tools on the market. It's also helped me land a job at my dream company and given me the environment to build lasting connections with fellow BootCampers. The curriculum is very well designed to make the learning experience positive and fun. A+
      Friday, Mar 22 2019
      Way to go, Minna! We're thrilled you're enjoying your boot camp experience and have made lasting connections with other classmates. We also have to agree that our instructor, Piro, is pretty amazing. Thank you for your review and congratulations on landing an exciting new role! We're looking forward to you successfully completing the course and seeing your final project in a few weeks.
    • Sara Hovakeemian  User Photo
      Sara Hovakeemian • Student Verified via GitHub

Like many people, I felt stuck in my job. I was understimulated, felt underutilized, and not challenged. I knew I wanted to switch my career before I got further type casted. And I knew that I wanted to find a career that was in-demand and challenging. I enrolled in the Data Analytics Bootcamp at SCS because the curriculum was appealing and the class schedule worked with my work schedule.

I should preffice by saying that I had no idea how to code prior to entering this bootcamp; I had no idea what a for loop was, or how computing logic worked. I am currently 1 month from graduating and it is crazy how much I have learned from this bootcamp. So much so, that I can confidently apply for data positions because of how much this bootcamp has taught me and exposed me to. It not only taught me different syntaxes and how to use various libraries, but more importantly, it taught me how to learn (i.e. look up documentation and stack overflow). Between the super helpful TAs, the amazing classrooms, great instructor (shout out to Piro!), and approachable admin, this bottcamp was definitely one of the best decisions I have made in terms of my career.

Wednesday, Mar 06 2019
      Amazing, Sara! Thank you for choosing our program to make a significant career change. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the curriculum and benefited from our entire boot camp team - we also think Piro is pretty great. We're looking forward to you successfully completing the course in a few weeks and can't wait to see your final project!
    • Saryn  User Photo
      Saryn • Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This bootcamp was very challenging but due to that I feel that I am that much stronger for it. My coding confidence is much higher than I expected it to be after working so hard I now know so many things and more importantly how to solve problems. The course doesn't hold your hand, or wait for you but if you can work hard and keep up you will be much stronger for it. Only issue I had at any time was a few times there was unclear instructions on written assignments, but the teachers and support staff more than made up for this by always being available to jump in and correct issues in a very timely manner and those issues for me have now been resolved.

Wednesday, Feb 20 2019
      We appreciate you sharing your review, Saryn! We're thrilled you're benefiting from the support of our entire boot camp team. Like you said, if you're ready to work hard this course can help you get there. We're looking forward to you successfully completing the program and wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
    • WORTH IT
      - 2/19/2019
      Pavani Vithala  User Photo
      Pavani Vithala • QA Manager • Student Verified via GitHub
      I have joined the course with a change of role in my career.The curriculum as well as the course starting from Pre-work are very well thought of. I thoroughly enjoy each topic.Though we know buys and pieces of the technical jargon being in the industry, understanding the connection to get the big picture how various tools and technologies work is very very important.This course provided me a new found confidence if web technologies and helped me see internet in a new perceptive.Instructors and TAs are awesome helping students but to feel low because of the pace and complexity of topics.I would definitely recommend this bootcamp for anyone who wants to understand where the future is(APPS is everything and APPS for everything) as I see.😊
      Wednesday, Feb 20 2019
      Thank you so much, Pavani! We appreciate you choosing our program to make a career change. It's great to hear you're enjoying the curriculum and gaining confidence in using new web technologies. We applaud all your hard work thus far and are cheering you on as you continue towards completing the course!
    • Juan I Diaz  User Photo
      Juan I Diaz • Student Verified via GitHub

So you think it’s an expensive course?.. it is! But you will get the knowledge, experience, resources and -most of all- guidance worth! I have been looking for a way to finally jump into developing, this course is the best tool.

Long hours, late nights, challenging new concepts, huge economic commitment... if you like a challenge and want to start learning web developing DO IT. But beware it’s on YOU what you take out :-)

I’m taking the live on-line course and the pace is a little fast so you better take it serious. The teacher is amazing, the TA team is knowledgeable and the supporting staff is great. You can tell they really care for the students success, not only for the payment. Career services have been good, I still need to complete this part tho’.

Wednesday, Feb 20 2019
      Way to go, Juan! We're thrilled you're enjoying our online coding program and feel supported by our entire instructional team. Great advice for prospective learners — this course does require extensive hours outside of class, but if you're truly committed to learning web development, you will be successful. Thank you for your review, we're rooting you on as you continue working hard towards completing the boot camp!
    • Christopher Donner  User Photo
      Christopher Donner • Principal Technical Analyst • Student Verified via GitHub

If you are in the industry and have the means, I couldn't recommend this course enough. I am a highschool graduate and have been working in enterprise software support for about 15 years. I've had a piece meal knowledge of the topics at hand but was missing a lot of fundamental knowledge.

The pace of the course is agressive but not overwhelming and the instructor and TAs are phenomenal. I am just over 50% through the program and am already very confident in the professional level web applications I am now capable of creating.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
      Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, Christopher! We're thrilled you were able to further develop your existing skills and feel confident in what you have learned thus far. Congratulations on reaching the midway point, we are cheering you on as you continue working hard toward completing the program!
    • Amrit Singh  User Photo
      Amrit Singh • Researcher • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I would recommend this bootcamp for beginners looking to gain skills in web development as the cirriculum covers a lot of material. Coming from strictly an analytics background, I had a fear of web technologies mostly because I have never explored them before. I had started the web dev course on udemy by colt steele which gave me alot of prior knowledge and made the course easier for me. Six months is ample time to become familar with writting javascript at a comfortable level. More time should be allocated to teaching React (and maybe other frameworks) as these skills are what employers are looking for.

Monday, Jan 07 2019
      Thank you for your review, Amrit! We're happy you enjoyed your boot camp experience and were able to explore various technologies. Our team is continually updating our course material, so we truly appreciate your input. Congratulations on completing the program! We wish you all the best moving forward.
    • Kaliesha Pickering  User Photo
      Kaliesha Pickering • Sales and Account Manager • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Yes! This program is tough, if you are not willing to put the effort into studying like any other university program you will not succeed, it is not called a boot camp for no reason. But, with saying that, if you are willing to put in the effort for this course the instructional staff and everyone involved with this program is completely hands-on and willing to help you succeed! Not only are the instructors knowledgeable (about way more then just what is taught in this course), the TA's and the tutors genuinely want you to succeed! If you are looking to transition into this field they also have a career services team that helps you get into tip-top shape for the job market! I am currently only half way through this program and I have already received multiple job offers! I would recommend this program to anyone who is serious about making a change in their life, it is truly life changing!

Monday, Oct 15 2018
      We appreciate your review, Kaliesha! We completely agree that this program is tough and will require extensive effort to succeed. It's great to hear our entire team has been so supportive and helpful during your current boot camp experience. We commend all your hard work for reaching the halfway point and are cheering you on as you continue towards completing the program!
      - 9/11/2018
      Lisa Freedman  User Photo
      Lisa Freedman • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am part of the first group of students to attend this bootcamp. Our cohort got off to a rough start with an instructor who was less than ideal. I found that Trilogy listened to our concerns and dealt with them professionally. We ended up with an amazing instructor, four TA’s instead of two, weekly review sessions and access to private tutors.  I feel that they are absolutely committed to see us succeed.  The career services part of the course is kicking into high gear and I find the staff tremendous. They offer detailed comments on our resumes, portfolios and github and are putting on career seminars weekly. This bootcamp is composed of working professionals and the students are from a wide variety of diverse backgrounds.  We are already planning to continue working together once we graduate in October.

Wednesday, Sep 12 2018
      Thank you, Lisa! We are thrilled to hear that you've had such a positive experience. Like you mentioned, we are absolutely committed to the success of our learners and work to take corrective action when needed, so we're glad that the additional cohort changes and assistance we implemented were of great help. We're so happy you developed a real sense of community with your classmates and are enjoying our career services. We applaud all of the hard work and practice you have dedicated thus far and are looking forward to seeing your final project in a few weeks!
    • Life-changing!
      - 9/11/2018
      Arvin  User Photo
      Arvin • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Investing in this program is indeed high-risk, but incredibly high reward. I have learned and applied so many different skills in such a short time that I look back on my own progress in disbelief. This program is NOT for everyone though - it’s called a bootcamp for a reason. Specifically, computer science is a unique area of study where you must rely on self-teaching in order to succeed. If you can’t find the drive to solve advanced problems and understand the way complex machines think on your own, do not waste your money or time. This is a decision about making a commitment to complete concentration. But if you do choose to commit to becoming a software developer, this program becomes a remarkable journey. As you rapidly pickup tougher and tougher skills every week, your understanding of software becomes stronger, and you can carry out larger tasks both inside and outside of school. When I write code and project plans for the employers I have met so far, they are baffled at how I’ve picked up such a clear and broad understanding of project development in only three months. In addition to the academic support, the career support is so motivating and helpful in guiding this change in lifestyle from non-developer to Full Stack developer.

I want to thank everyone at Trilogy and UofT SCS for enabling me to enter the richest and most exciting job market and granting me difficult but rewarding challenges to refine my skills.

Wednesday, Sep 12 2018
      Way to go, Arvin! You are completely right that this fast-paced course requires a significant amount of commitment and concentration. As such, we commend all the hard work you have dedicated thus far and are thrilled to hear you are benefiting from the support our entire team provides. We are looking forward to your graduation in a few weeks and wish you continued success in all your upcoming projects and career goals!
    • Andy  User Photo
      Andy • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Hello Course Seeker!

I am currently enrolled in the UofT program.  Unlike some of the anonymous posters on this board, my overall experiences-to-date have been rather positive.  Sure, there are little hiccups here and there.  However, one has to keep in mind that there is absolutely no program (that is delivered in real-time) in the marketplace that is without flaws.  It is not 100% scripted and edited like the online courses.  You are receiving live instruction from multiple instructors -- in other words, you have the opportunity to gain multiple perspectives on course topics/real-life scenarios from people who are living, breathing, and working in the same biodome.

I love online courses myself, and have used them to supplement my learning... ...BUT! online courses (including those that may offer real-time chat instruction) cannot replicate the in-person classroom atmosphere that is key to learning.  After all, isn't this the reason why you are reading this?

If you are looking for the PERFECT program, you will be looking and procrastinating for a long, long time.... ....because there is no perfect program.  Programming itself is an ever-evolving discipine that demands a flexible and solutions-driven mindset.  The old adage applies here: "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem".

The problems/issues that have been noted by previous posters are relatively minor in nature.  I say "minor in nature" because problems/challenges are what drive the real learning experience and growth.  The positive experiences far outweigh the negative ones.  I would much rather learn from my mistakes (and the mistakes of others) in a safe learning environment, as opposed to making the same mistakes in a live job setting.

Here are a few of my takeways for your consideration:

• Mistakes can and will occur with any learning institution.  As for myself, my concerns have always been addressed in a timely manner.  The most important thing from my point of view is that the individuals who deliver this learning program own up to the issues identified, and make good on them.  In other words, they do their best to rectify the issue at hand and improve the program for those who follow.  They have a structured quality assurance program in place to address/prevent issues, AND the resources to fix problem areas.  Does the program you are considering have a QA program in place? -- What if one or more of the key instructors in your program are no longer able to teach?  Can alternates be set up quickly? ....
      • Do your homework before signing up for the program.  If you are undisciplined with your time, a procrastinator, or someone who wants everything served up on a silver platter, then this is not the program for you.  You will need to make some sacrifices if you want your dream to come true.
      • Many folks in this program have demanding careers and mouths to feed -- time is money.  This program delivers a good balance of formal lecture material, group exercises, and self-driven learning.  Team/pair programming is nice -- however, unless you have a lot of extra time on your hands, your time is probably better invested in reviewing the course material taught and supplementing your knowledge with perspectives from other sources (e.g. online courses).
      • The curriculum is comprehensive, market relevant, and the exercises are well-documented (e.g. there is a GitLab repository that you can pull from and review prior to the next lecture, videos, etc.).  This is a battle-tested program with more material and support than you can shake a fist at -- Trilogy is not a small organization -- in fact, I am glad that they are the ones managing the program instead of UofT.  The instructors will not and cannot possibly cover every aspect of the course material provided -- there simply are not enough hours in the day to do this.  One can only learn so fast, even with full-time immersion learning.  I view the program as a curated guided tour.  How much you learn, how far you go, and the quality of the experiences is up to you.  These factors are entirely within your control.
      • You get out of the program what you put into it.  If self-paced learning is your cup of tea, then online course programming may be better for you.  However, if your learning style is more structured with deadlines to keep you honest, then a program like this is a no-brainer.  If you don't feel at least a wee bit uncomfortable with the pace or overwhelmed with the material, then you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.
      • Do your due diligence and read the fine print.  Contracts are not always bad, as they confirm each party's obligations/responsibilities.  If you are considering signing up for a program that does not have a contract in place, how do you know what you are getting into?  If you didn't actually read the contract before signing up for the program, and now have "buyer's remorse", you will be in for a big surprise when your computer program doesn't work because you missed a "semi-colon" or forgot to use brackets.
      • This is a premium product with moderate pricing.  In fact, I think this program is worth more than $10k.  You are not paying for couches, coffee stations, and unnecessary frills.
      • This program will not get you a computer science degree.  If this is what you are expecting, then enroll in one or take the MIT open lecture series to learn more.  Future employers may ask you where you got your training from, but I highly doubt if even a small percentage of them will ask you to yank out a certificate or proof of completion.  Your personal portfolio and your ability to articulate solutions to real-world problems will tell all.
      • If you have concerns about this program not being "tax deductible", here is a simple solution:  (1) Think like an entrepreneur and set-up your own company during the course; (2) Challenge yourself to build a revenue-generating commercial product before the end of the program.  You will soon discover that $10k is really not that big a deal.  Worst-case scenario, you deduct the tuition and tax expenditures against your company, and carry them foward to use in a future year.
      • The program I am currently in has three co-horts.  To me, this means that I have access to three times the instructors (the Saturday classes are taught on a rotating-basis), three times the number of colleagues to learn from, and three times the number of TAs that I can learn from.  Given the diversity of students and teaching talent, it would be my own fault if I do not engage others to maximize my learning experience during my time here.
      • Not all instructors are created alike, and learning is a two-way street.  If you have concerns/issues with your instructor (or substitute with "boss" in a workplace settting), it is your responsibility to help them grow.  Give people a chance to learn/improve, and you will be forever grateful when you yourself become an instructor or boss one day (i.e. when you are at the other end of the stick).
      • With regards to job assistance, the program has many resources to prepare you for future prospecting.  However, no teaching institution or individual will deliver a job with a six-figure salary to you just because you think it.  Putting too much emphasis on an institution's ability to hunt down job leads for you can be crippling on the mind.
      • Bottom line:  This is a very respectable program and I would not hesitate to enroll in it again.  If you are highly motivated, self-disciplined, and driven to learn and apply the material, you will go far with this experience.  I am getting great value for my money.  You really can't go wrong with this program -- action is better than no action.  Just do it!

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, Jul 25 2018
      Thank you so much for your review, Andy! We are happy to hear your current overall experience has been so positive and that you have truly enjoyed the in-person, real-time environment with your classmates and our instructional staff. Thank you for providing such an in-depth look into our program and outlining helpful takeaways for potential students. Like you mentioned, this course requires a lot of self-discipline and motivation, so we commend all the hard work you've dedicated thus far. We look forward to helping you through the completion of the boot camp and seeing what you will achieve as you continue mastering your skills and tapping into new opportunities!

• Gordon Li • Student

They do a great job of preparing you for the course starting with the pre-work which gives you a good start to understanding how to code. They make sure that you know that it is a very difficult course, but you end up having a lot of support from the TAs and staff.

The homework is very difficult, but if you put in the time, it should not be a problem. If you need extra help, you can request to have a tutor to help you.

Not only do you work on solo projects like homework, but it also requires you to complete group projects. The course not only prepares you to understand how to perform in the industry, but also how it is like from going through interviews to working with other developers in a group.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
      Thank you for your review, Gordon! We're glad to hear you felt supported by our instructional team and utilized all the boot camp's resources. Congratulations on your hard work, we wish you all the success in your future endeavors!
    • Great Value
      - 1/7/2019
      Kyle Robinson • Student

Learning the various languages (Javascript, React, Node, MongoDB and many more) in this curriculum will set you aside from competition in your future endeavors, whatever those may be. I was extremely young going into this program, still in the middle of my undergraduate degree, but with hard work and the great support of the instructors as well as the academic support worker, I had no doubts that I could complete this program to the best of my ability. I highly recommend this program to anyone looking to set themselves apart in not only the coding and computer sciences but in any path, you decide to go down!

Monday, Jan 07 2019
      Amazing, Kyle! We're thrilled you found our entire team to be so supportive and encouraging. Congratulations on completing the program — we applaud all your hard work and dedication! We wish you all the success in your future goals.
    • Calvin • Graduate

Instructor and TAs were friendly and knowledgeable. The instructor we had was an expert with many years of experience in the software industry and it really showed with his depth of knowledge in many aspects of computer science/programming/web technologies. The TAs were enthusiastic and always managed to point me in the right direction even if they were sometimes unable to answer my questions.

I found the curriculum on the easy side but I may be biased because I have some prior experience in coding. I noticed some of my cohorts struggling so YMMV. The good thing with many of the activities/projects were that they included bonus challenges, which was great for people who found the base curriculum easy.

In any case, the activities and projects give you a good starting point but to be really proficient and get the most out of this course you need to be creative and go beyond the basic requirements for the projects. This means fulfilling the bonus requirements as well as adding in as many features as possible to your apps. This will force you to learn to use new packages, APIs, and language features. It will also help you to learn how to use Google, StackOverflow.

Job assistance:

From the material I have seen and the one career meeting I have had, I think the careers service is pretty good. They also have many seminars with interview tips. Unfortunately, I was not able to fully utilize the career services due to a personal crisis, so I feel it is not appropriate for me to judge this aspect of the program. My former classmates tell me that they had a good experience.

Overall:

Pros:

instructor, curriculum, flexibility due to the online/remote nature

Cons:

cost, people with prior programming exposure may find it too easy

Monday, Jan 07 2019
      Way to go, Calvin! We're glad to hear our instructional team was so helpful and that you were able to go above and beyond to maximize your skills and get the most out of the program. Congratulations on completing this course! We truly appreciate your feedback and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
    • Ilham Hafizovic • QA Management Associate • Student

This course will push you to your limits  and then some every week for 6 months. You will experience doubt every step of the way but each week you’ll build something new that will increase your confidence. Before you know it, 6 months are up and you’ve just built a full single page application and backend yourself. You’ve also tried applying some in-browser machine learning to your application in your final team project.

You’ll still doubt yourself. But you will have gained something important, an understanding of your unique ability to work through that doubt and fear and complete the problem before you.

The instructors and TAs in this bootcamp are phenomenal  the TAs might be precious students; so they’ll know exactly what you’re going through and can give you excellent tips and advice for the future.

If you’re wondering whether you need to look elsewhere to learn the currently popular full-stack web development technologies, don’t because the team at trilogy really knows what they’re doing.

And a big thank you to Andy Watson, who is a phenomenal instructor.

Friday, Jan 04 2019
      Amazing, Ilham! We are thrilled you had such an amazing boot camp experience and were continuously encouraged by our instructional team — we also think Andy is pretty fantastic. Congratulations on successfully completing the program! We are rooting you on as you continue forward.
    • David Campbell • Student

I just finished 6 months of Full Stack web design through the University of Toronto School of continuing education. The idea of taking on Full stack web development at full speed may sound imposing, but it wasn't.

First, it is amazing what you will retain, and how you will improve your ability to learn ideas and concepts ou never thought possible. I have left bootcamp willing to embrace and challenge new technologies.

In order to be successful at this course, you must attend class, ask questions during office hours, watch a lot of YouTube videos, and try, try, try. Coding is the most frustrating things going as nothing works until you are 100% successful. The tools and support are available for you to be a success.

Tuesday, Dec 04 2018
      Way to go, David! We are thrilled you had such a great boot camp experience, successfully learning the fundamentals of full-stack web development. You're completely right that taking full advantage of the program's tools and resources will greatly benefit you — this is great advice for future participants. Congratulations on completing such a rigorous course, and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
    • Nahrin • Graduate

So here is the deal,

You have to be mentally ready to take this program and make this change in your life. The first three months were very challenging for me personally, because i kept asking myself if this program was the right decision i made, but when i created my own web-app back-to-front i realized that my biggest regret was not taking this program earlier.

If you never coded in your life you need to put in the hours to learn and build your skills, because you will not learn by putting the minimum 20hrs/week requested. This program is not an easy one. It’s very challenging and physically demanding.

The weekly homeworks might take you more than 20hrs for each to complete. Why is that? because the material covered in this program is equivalent to three years program.

The classrooms are located in a new beautiful building in UofT downtown core, and our instructor Mr Uzair Faisal, is simply the best.

Tuesday, Oct 16 2018
      Thank you so much, Nahrin! You're completely right that this is a challenging course, one that will require individuals to truly ask themselves if they're prepared to put in the necessary hours to make a change in their lives. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your instructor and classroom space — we also think Uzair is fantastic. Congratulations on completing the program, we wish you all the success in your future goals!
    • Allan Hartigan • Full Stack Developer • Student

Basically, you get what you put into it.

From reading some of the negative reviews, I get the feeling these individuals do not understand the industry. There is no specific bootcamp that will make you a master of any language in 6 months. By taking this course you will develop the skills do develop web applications using today's technology. You will learn how to teach yourself which is a required skill of any developer. You will also learn how to work with other people of varying skill levels. It gets you ready to enter the industry.

I'm taking the remote course and it is fantastic. My instructor has been coding for 20 years. The career services aspect of the course is very good. Again, you get what you put into it. If you want a computer course with little practical experience I suggest take that course, spend way more money and see how it goes in 4 years.

I recommend this course for anyone with a passion for developing web applications. If you have taken any time learning on your own and found it a little overwhelming, I highly recommend signing up for this course as it will make everything clear and less cloudy for you and you will find your progress accelerating at a rate that will provide you much satisfaction.

Tuesday, Sep 11 2018
      Thank you for your review, Allan! We are so happy to hear you are enjoying our live online coding program. You are absolutely right that as we cover a full-stack, topics are introduced at a higher level in-class and participants need to dedicate extra hours outside of class to not only gain a deeper understanding of the concepts but practice their skills. Like you mentioned, this helps individuals learn how to problem-solve and self-teach: two abilities needed in a developer role. We commend all the hard work you have dedicated thus far and are looking forward to seeing your final project in a few weeks!
    • Dom • Student

First of all I think UOFT should be ASHAMED of affiliating with Trilogy and offering this disgraceful program. There are several negative reviews online and not a single positive review so I'm not the only one that feels like I've been ripped off. All of the reviews are accurate the curriculum is terrible and rushed. There hasn't been a single class where we have actually completed all of the planned lessons. The instructors shouldn't even be refered to as instructors none of them have prior teaching experience or are qualified to teach. The staff at Trilogy pretend they care and want to help you but they don't. The worst part about the program is we were lied to about receiving a certficate, 10 weeks into the program they broke the news to us that we actually won't be receiving a certificate! I feel like this program should be shutdown and everyone should be reimbursed, what they are doing does not feel right at all they have deceived several students and pocketed over a million dollars in tuition and have not delivered what they promised. Please do not fall for this scam.

Thursday, Jul 05 2018
      Hi Anonymous. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. As you noted, the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies has partnered with Trilogy Education Services (TES) to offer the UofT SCS Coding Boot Camp. TES is a leading continuing education program manager that has partnered with more than 25 top universities across North America to support their skills-based program efforts. UofT SCS Coding Boot Camp and our partners at TES are absolutely committed to the experience of our participants.

Our program prides itself on teaching individuals how to learn, providing a strong foundational skill set used to master additional programming languages following the course completion. We strive to communicate to participants that our full-stack program introduces course material at a macro-level, with additional time required outside of class to properly understand and master the topics; this helps individuals learn how to problem-solve and self-teach, key abilities needed in a developer’s career.

We work hard to select instructional staff who are passionate about helping learners succeed. Our program has an intensive vetting process, requiring a minimum of three years experience in the tech industry. We measure instructor success based on participant feedback, video audits, and classroom assessments. We understand the boot camp's pace can be difficult and strenuous, as such, in order to assist individuals who are struggling with the coursework, our instructors and TAs are always available for extra support, staying after class to provide assistance in any way they can, in addition to our free tutoring network. We hope you found these resources to be beneficial, but we are constantly looking to improve our services and appreciate your feedback.

As you noted, at the onset of our program, we determined learners who successfully completed the course would receive an Acknowledgment of Completion. After receiving input from several participants, we underwent a name change and ascertained we would instead be issuing a Certificate of Completion - also a formal signed and dated document which includes the learner's name, program, date, seal, and signature from the Dean of the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies. We are actively looking to promote and commend our learner's accomplishments following the completion of such a rigorous course as this one and believe this Certificate of Completion, along with an official UofT SCS transcript, reinforces to employers that an individual has successfully finished the UofT SCS Coding Boot Camp. We do take participant feedback like yours most seriously and are continuously working to provide individuals with the service they need to be successful.

We would welcome the opportunity to provide you with any additional support you may need at this time and would love to hear from you directly. If you would like, please reach out to us at (647) 245-1020.
    • RUN AWAY
      - 5/8/2018

First of all, 90% of the students in the class are computer illiterate, they can't even figure out how to use GitHub, install an operating system or do anything beyond browse the web. The school should do a better job at determining a student’s skill level before admitting them to the program, the students that have no computer knowledge just slow the class down and waste the instructors time with the stupidest questions. Second of all we have had 3 different instructors within 6 weeks, first instructor was fired and replaced with someone very young that tutors high school kids and has no real teaching experience. Third the curriculum itself is very basic and disappointing, JavaScript and html is not real programming in my books I feel like I was swindled by the school we were promised a full stack dev program not a html/js class. If you are thinking of going here rethink your options, the course may be hosted at UOFT but don't be fooled you will not get the same quality you would get through other UOFT programs.

Response From: Christina Pearsall of University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies Boot Camps
      Title: Student Success Manager
      Thursday, May 10 2018
      Hi Anonymous, thank you for your feedback. Our program is designed to help individuals with varying proficiency levels, as our mission is to assist as many hard-working, aspiring developers as possible. We never want to set up learners for failure, and that is why our admissions process begins with an initial phone interview, followed by a timed, academic test that learners must pass with a score of 70 or above in order to move forward in the admissions process, as well as a final critical thinking interview with a member of our academic team. Only once prospective learners have passed the phone interview, the test, and the academic interview are they accepted into the program. After gaining acceptance into the program, learners complete 30 hours of pre-work to further prepare before classes begin.

We regret that your instructional experience has not lived up to your expectations so far. Our program has an intensive vetting process for instructors and requires a minimum of three years' experience as an active practitioner in the tech industry. Instructors may come from a variety of backgrounds within the web development field and will often have different teaching styles. As such, we measure our instructor success based on participant feedback, video audits of their teaching, and classroom assessments. Based on feedback and assessments, your cohort did experience an instructional change and we have been working hard to ensure that our learners have the best tools and instruction to be successful. Your new Lead Instructor was introduced on May 8. We believe this individual will be a great fit to guide your cohort going forward with his nine years of professional experience as a Developer and Software Engineer, as well as past experience working on Instructional Teams for the University of Toronto.

We understand that the first month of the program’s curriculum may not have been as intensive as you expected. Our program serves a mix of participants ranging from those with zero coding experience to computer science majors as well as graduates of other boot camps. For this reason, we begin by covering the basics, giving learners a solid foundation upon which they will build throughout the program. We start slow, but the intensity of our program ramps up to advanced, full-stack topics very quickly. Each lesson iteratively builds on the last, and there are no shortcuts to focusing on the basics at first.

We deeply care about the quality and integrity of your program, as well as each and every single one of our learners. Thank you for your patience and trust. We would like the opportunity to speak with you and determine what additional assistance we can provide you with at this time. Please reach out to me directly at (647) 245-1020 so we can further address your concerns and any questions you may have.

This course is quite challenging and needs to be taken seriously - definitely not low maintenance and more difficult to balance if you're already working full-time. However, it's 100% worth taking because of the quality of the work and the teachings you will be exposed to. I learned so much to help further project my self-learning and ideas. Even though it was difficult to keep up, I was adequately challenged which in my opinion is more valuable. There is a lot of support available along the way as well and lively discussons on tech, it's not all about the code, you also learn the reason why behind the technologies you are being exposed to. Keep your instructors and teaching assistants engaged with the areas you are having most difficulty in so that they can adequately assist you. As long as there is incentive to learn, you will enjoy it! The career option is very useful but you may find that you barely have the time to focus on it. The career coaches will work with you as well to ensure that they bring you up to speed and there is time after the course to polish your career material and portfolios.

Thursday, Aug 01 2019
      Amazing! Like you noted, this is a challenging course that will require learners to dedicate extensive time to their studies, so we commend all your hard work. We're glad to hear you benefited from the curriculum and our entire boot camp team. Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review! Best of luck moving forward.
    • Would recommend!
      - 2/7/2019

Took the full stack development course at UTM. Like a lot of you reading I wasn't sure based on the reviews if this course would be worth it but after graduating i can definitely say i dont regret it.

If you are someone who needs a structured learning environment this program is perfect. The instructor and TAs are a great support as well as the fellow students. Although the program is challenging it is definitely doable. You get out of this program what you put into it.

The curriculum is great and gave me a lot more knowledge about web development and its practices. Working in groups helped me to understand how it works in real life. Some minor problems I did have with it was introducing more modern practices (ES6) towards the end of the program. I also felt along with other classmates that we didn't spend enough time on React.

Overrall, I had a great experience with this program. I would 100% recommend it.

Friday, Feb 08 2019
      Amazing! We're happy you enjoyed the curriculum and felt not only supported by our instructional team but by your classmates as well. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.