savvy-coders-logo

Savvy Coders

Chattanooga, Nashville, Nashville, St. Louis

Savvy Coders

Savvy Coders is a 12-week full stack web development coding boot camp in Chattanooga, Kansas City, St. Louis, and online. Savvy Coders provides its students with a firm foundation to become a Junior Full Stack Developer. Savvy Coders is a great option for beginners who want to learn or for those with coding skills that might need a refresher. Classes are held Monday through Thursday evenings, so students won’t have to give up their day job to attend the bootcamp. The bootcamp is taught by industry software developers, and the class size is kept small to ensure students receive one-on-one interaction with instructors.

Students will learn the basics of full stack development through a comprehensive curriculum that includes the creation of a capstone project that will be presented at the end of the course to companies that are currently hiring coding talent. By the end of the course, students are proficient in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Basic Markdown, interacting with the DOM, Git, Github, Agile, Firebase, UX/UI, Node/Express, MongoDB, and Heroku. Savvy Coders knows that soft skills and branding are just as important as learning how to code, so from day one, communication skills are fostered and enhanced. Students learn how to put together a comprehensive resume and LinkedIn profile. Elevator pitches and introduction stories are created and practiced, and students become comfortable discussing themselves and their projects.

Savvy Coders bootcamp is designed for complete novices. Applicants must submit an online application and then are interviewed by the admissions team. Scholarships are available. Interested students can attend a free crash course to get hands-on practice coding and to see if Savvy Coders would be a good fit. All students who do not know how to code complete a prerequisite class before the start of the bootcamp. For those incoming students with some coding experience, there is a refresher course.

Savvy Coders supports the goal of becoming a coder and provides information and introductions to partner companies both during the bootcamp and after. Graduates of the bootcamp receive a certificate of completion.

Recent Savvy Coders Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (38) reviews for Savvy Coders →

Recent Savvy Coders News

• Front End Web Development

HTML, CSS
      In Person
      Start Date January 25, 2021
      LocationChattanooga, Nashville, St. Louis
      Savvy Coders' month long web development course is broken down into 4 week segments. Week 1 covers the Fundamentals of Computing, HTML, CSS, JS and building your first website. Skills students learn in Week 1 include using the terminal, basic markdown, interacting with the DOM, HTML tags and stucture, CSS styling, version control with git and GitHub and basic JavaScript fundamentals. Week 2 is all about Functional JavaScript and learning about the key principles of programming with the language of the Web. Lesson modules include library usage with underscore.js, advanced variable and function use, JavaScript/browser, interactions through the DOM, adding web interactivity with JQuery, implementing video and audio through HTML5, introductory design principles for the web and software design and testing. Week 3 goes into Object-Oriented JavaScript and using JavaScript to delve-deeper into the industry standard of code design through Objects while building your portfolio. Look for lessons on object creation and manipulation, extending Objects through inheritance, using Objects in software, mastering Chrome Developer Tools and building a fully-functional website for your portfolio. In the final week, Week 4, students will explore Advanced Implementations and Web APIs. Students will build applications for larger-scale deployment and connect to other parts of the Web through APIs. The final lessons in this module include adding geo-location functionality with Google Maps API, implementing secure payment processing with Stripe, building your own APIs, deploying applications on a large scale and using backend-as-a-service.
      Tuition Plans3 months, $600 per month
      January 25, 2021 - St. Louis Apply by January 18, 2021
      January 25, 2021 - Chattanooga Apply by January 18, 2021
      January 25, 2021 - Nashville Apply by January 18, 2021

• Gamer Changer
      - 1/25/2019
      Damian Clay-Downing  User Photo
      Damian Clay-Downing • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

While learning about web coding in highschool, I became interested and wanted to learn more. I sought out online web classes like Code Academy and Alison, I learned a lump sum of information on my own because couldn't ask anyone any questions to get a better understanding but there was no one. After years of trying to find a job on my own, I couldn't find any entry level or internships in Web Development.. I am now 26 and after a long search of web development training classes, I found Savvy Coders through a reference from Slate. I took the 10 week course and it was everything I was looking for. Savvy Coders gave me a better understanding of HTML and CSS along with tips and tricks on how to write code more efficiently. I also learned JavaScript which was next on my coding list, this experience changed my perspective about. This class not only will teach you how to code but it will teach how to structure your code so that it is readable not only your viewers but to you as well. By the end of the course I was able to design, build and present my Capstone project that I was proud of and that I can add my project to my portfolio. Savvy Coders helped me to become a more efficient junior web developer, I now have other ideas of future projects that I want to work on. If you're looking for a Web Development school or training, Savvy Coders is where you should be. Its great experience and great place to learn about Web Development. You will work with a team of recruiters that will help you with job placements at the end of the course.

• Full Stack Student
      - 11/21/2020
      Brian Kimbrow  User Photo
      Brian Kimbrow Verified via GitHub
       This is a great bootcamp for someone who is wanting to learn how to code. This bootcamp was challenging but provided you with the assistance to make sure that you are successful. We learned HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to create our capstone project. In addition to that we learned how to navigate through GitHub, and Git Bash. Overall this cohort was very challenging but was well worth it in the end when you get to see things actually come together.
    • Full Stack Student
      - 11/19/2020
      Anthony Tuzzo  User Photo
      Anthony Tuzzo Verified via GitHub
      This course is a great introduction to the developer world.  In 12 weeks we were introduced to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.  In addition we were taught how to navigate through GitHub, and Git Bash.  Node.js, Heroku, Netlify, MongoDB and Firebase are all used to help bring together a capstone project that is then used to help get you hired in the dev world.  The material isn't all you learn.  You are also introduced to many people in the dev world through meetup groups, and through mock interview days.   Several days are dedicated to showing yourself off to prospective employers who give real world feedback on your capstone project and on how you interview.  This is NOT an easy course, but 12 weeks of coding information delivered to you in (currently) an online format.  The staff work with you and provide you with everything that you need to successfully complete the course.  You will get out of this everything that you put into it.  If you want a challenge, and are interested in a career in dev, give Savvy Coders a try.  Our cohort had a change in instructor that did impact our lessons and curriculum hence the lower stars, but I have great confidence that will improve as that is readjusted to fit the needs of employers.
    • Lauren  User Photo
      Lauren • Aspiring Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I just graduated from the Savvy Coders Full Stack Web Development Boot Camp. It was a 12-week immersive boot camp, during which we learned JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Node JS, and Express. We learned how to make a Single Page Application using vanilla JavaScript, a Firebase or Node/Express Database, APIs, Axios, and Navigo. During the program, we each built our own web application (mostly outside of class) using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, then we each converted our projects to a Single Page Application.  This was a great way to showcase how much we learned both inside and outside of class during this short but intense 12 weeks!

At the end of the course, we had the opportunity to present our project to a group of potential hiring managers, HR Recruiters, and Developers. It has been less than a week since I've presented my project, and I've already landed multiple interviews!

Each time we have an interview set up, we are encouraged to call our career coach, who is great at prepping us for the interview. She has been helping us since the beginning of the boot camp - from revamping our resumes and LinkedIn profiles, to helping us search for jobs, to prepping for interviews, and more.

As a total beginner to coding, I had to dedicate a lot of time outside of class to really comprehend the material learned in class, plus all of the additional material I had to teach myself to make my project come to life... but in the end, it was SO worth it. I was learning a whole new career in only 12 weeks! It had to be intense to be successful in such a short period of time.

I absolutely recommend this program to anyone interested in Web Development. Be prepared to put in the time and work really hard for 3 months! If you can commit to that, you will have the support system you need behind you to ensure you are successful.
    • Johan Bester  User Photo
      Johan Bester • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Elaine and Dezerae from Savvy Coders believed in me and helped me get into the program. That already impressed me.

My name is Johan and I just recently graduated from the Savvy Coders Full-stack web developers bootcamp

I lost my job last year, but when I started looking around for a new position, I realized that my skill set does not match what the market is looking for. I learned a lot through self-studying, but needed more structure and guidance to get where I wanted to be. Savvy Coders offers this and more!

The Savvy curriculum is up to date and ever evolving to teach the latest technologies. The staff is knowledgeable and very helpful in teaching coding and career skills. The emphasis is on helping students become well rounded developers that know how to problem solve and find the answers to difficult issues. While the course material is extensive students are constantly reminded that there is always way more to learn, that they should keep digging deeper, and never stop learning new technologies and tools.

Bootcamp is not a walk in the park. Student should come well prepared and ready to work very hard. Daily commitment and perseverance are essential for succeed. At a minimum student need to know how to use a computer, have a solid understanding of computing in general, and have a good command of their OS. Preparing in advance on subjects like HTML, CSS and basic JavaScript is strongly advised.

The commitment of the Savvy Coder staff does not end in the class room. They are dedicated to coach and prepare students to enter the job market. Through sessions on resume writing, project planning and presentation, students are prepped to present their capstone projects to potential employers on Demo Day. And while every cohort is closed out with a career planning session on job hunting, the advice and council of the Savvy staff will always be available to alumni. I absolutely love that! Once you join Savvy Coders, you are part of the community for life if you choose!

Personally, joining Savvy Coders was a smart career choice and great life decision! I can highly recommend the Savvy Coders web developers bootcamp to anybody who wants to improve themselves and learn new coding skills.

• Nyilah Johnson  User Photo
      Nyilah Johnson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Going through SavvyCoders has transformed me from a union laborer with no IT knowledge into a Junior Web Developer with marketable skills and experience. I have a complete knowledge of JavaScript, HTML5 and CSS3. Not only did they give me the knowledge needed to excel in my first IT position they also prepared me with a solid resume, a great LinkedIn and the interview skills needed to land that first position.  An all around amazing bootcamp!

• Rusty Hoppins  User Photo
      Rusty Hoppins • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Savvy Coders gave me the tools I need to succeed and the resources to continue to do so. I now have a firm grasp on building modular single-page applications using functional components. I fully recommend anyone interested in pursuing a job in Web Development to give Savvy Coders a try.
    • Nathaniel Hudson  User Photo
      Nathaniel Hudson • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Savvy Coders is a ten week boot camp with an emphasis on HTML, CSS, and especially JavaScript. Before this class I possessed almost no skills related to coding and programing, Savvy Coders not only introduced me to these new skills but they assisted in building my own application every step of the way. I originally started my journey at a local university here in Saint Louis but I didn’t want to be forced into taking non related courses to meet state requirement such as history and art courses when all I really wanted was to learn programing and development, Savvy Coders gave me that ability. Very satisfied with the end result and now I have enough knowledge to continue learning on my own!

- 4/16/2019
      Amanda Engelman  User Photo
      Amanda Engelman • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I thought I would just learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript in the course due to the time restraints of the course (10 weeks). Thanks to the teachers and curriculum, we went so much further than that. This helped connect the dots on how everything really works behind the scenes. Even after the course, they are dedicated to assisting you in finding a new role; including helping you with resumes, interview preparation, as well as scheduling demo days to show off your newly-learned skills for potential future employers.

This was an overall great experience and I look forward to expanding the knowledge I have obtained from the course and using it to take my career to a level I wouldn't have been able to achieve without my experience with Savvy Coders.

• Kayla Forsythe  User Photo
      Kayla Forsythe • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Savvy Coders was the first stepping stones I needed to jumpstart the rest of my life.

My background is mainly resturant management and the customer service industry, but this course opened the doors for me into the world of software developement and much more. I learned how to utilize HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to build web pages from the ground up. I experienced working as a team with other developers, as well as working independently on my own project(s). The environment is fast-paced, advantageous, and the material is current.

Along with learning those programming languages, I was matched with a local IT recruiter who helped me reconstruct my resume, pin-point and utilize my soft skills, and give preparation for IT styled job interviews. But the recruiter didn't leave when I graduated. She stays in contact with me, offering job placement opportunites and career advice.

I was fortunate enough to attend a cohert where the other students were just as driven and 'new' to development as I was. We all had various backgrounds, but we were able to build each other up and bounce ideas and solutions off of one another. There were always TA's and instructors available to help answer questions, but we loved to problem solve! We worked together so well during this course, some of us get together every so often for a game night.

I started this course to 'dip my toes' into IT. I ended this course as a software delevoper. Savvy Coders offered me more than a classroom to learn in, and a teacher to listen to. They helped me build upon myself, and plant my feet into the career field I wanted to grow in.

• Career Change
      - 1/28/2019
      Chaquita Johnson-Moore  User Photo
      Chaquita Johnson-Moore • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

SavvyCoders is an excellent introduction to front end web development. I started classes in October 2018 looking for training that would enable me to transition to a new career. The instruction is fast-paced and thorough, helping you to build the foundation that will prepare you to enter the industry. Established mentors in the field made themselves available to us while we worked on our capstone projects. On top of the classes, we also were received resume help and invaluable interview coaching with consultants that work closely with the program and will work with us until we are placed in a job in the industry.

The boot camp currently runs for ten weeks, Monday through Thursday 6:15 pm - 9:15 pm.

• Phillip Temple  User Photo
      Phillip Temple • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
      No hyperbolly here.

This class was life-changing. I have been working jobs my whole life that just paid the bills. After this class, I have the confidence to start a career that is exciting and creative.

I have taken a lot of online classes that jump into Html, CSS, or Javascript without showing how to set up a coding environment. This class starts for the beginning. The staff started with Terminal and GitHub so that you are set up to succeed. Then it builds on those basics with Html, CSS, and Javascript.

One of the best things I learned in this class is the single page app by leveraging Javascript to render your page. So that the browser does not have to keep sending requests to the server.

This class also teaches object-oriented programming (OOP). This lays down the foundation for understanding many other languages as well as your continued education in Javascript.

The teacher and staff are second to none. They are always available on slack to help you with any problems that you might have during and even after the class is over.

The one thing that surprised me most about the class is the army of recruiters that are there to help you and guide you into finding not just a new job bought a new career in coding.

I recommend this class to anyone no matter what your skill level is. I started this class with little to no understanding of JavaScript. I am now able to talk to potential employers and other coders with confidence and I can't thank them enough for this.

Thanks for reading
      Phillip Temple
    • Andrew Roby  User Photo
      Andrew Roby • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Savvy Coders is knowledgeable, personal, and flexible -- exactly what I was looking for in a boot camp.  Even though they didn't have many reviews, I decided to join after going to their intro class. These are scheduled every so often and it's a great way to see how Alex (the lead instructor) teaches.  He's great at communicating some very difficult concepts, and strikes a great balance between explanation and hands-on coding.  Before the boot camp I was worried about course content, since Savvy Coders' marketing materials are a little bit scant.  However, the course is very well designed to get you "over the hump:" you will become comfortable with not only HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but also things like version control (using git), the command line interface, the architecture of the web, AJAX, and APIs.  Alex is also full of good advice about coding and freelancing, and will drill good habits into you.  You'll walk away with everything you need to set out on your own, start building, or further your education.

I came into the course with some familiarity with programming concepts like like loops and flow control, but there was never a time that I felt like the pace was too slow.  Like every boot camp, it requires a desire to dig in and actively research some of the material. However, the instructors are very helpful and responsive if you get stuck.  The schedule (6-9 pm) is perfect for working people, and I was always jazzed to go to class.  It's (currently) held at a great location (the CIC building, 4240 Duncan Ave) that has lots of networking events, which you're strongly encouraged to attend.

Even after graduation, instructors remained available for questions, and the cohort stayed in contact while we worked towards our demo day.  There was certainly an effort to get employers in the door at the event, but Savvy Coders is still a relatively unknown program and turnout was so-so. There is no job guarantee upon graduation, but that's not to say there was a shortage of opportunity for the competent and motivated.  Elaine (the founder) does a good job of passing along opportunities as they come to her.  For my own part, I was happy in my current job and was satisfied with the number of connections I made at the demo day event.

The upshot: I'm super glad I took this boot camp, would do it again if I had to start all over, and would consider taking an advanced class if they offered one.  That's the highest praise I can give.