savvy-coders-logo

Savvy Coders

Chattanooga, Nashville, Nashville, St. Louis

Savvy Coders

Savvy Coders is a 12-week full stack web development coding boot camp in Chattanooga, Kansas City, St. Louis, and online. Savvy Coders provides its students with a firm foundation to become a Junior Full Stack Developer. Savvy Coders is a great option for beginners who want to learn or for those with coding skills that might need a refresher. Classes are held Monday through Thursday evenings, so students won’t have to give up their day job to attend the bootcamp. The bootcamp is taught by industry software developers, and the class size is kept small to ensure students receive one-on-one interaction with instructors.

Students will learn the basics of full stack development through a comprehensive curriculum that includes the creation of a capstone project that will be presented at the end of the course to companies that are currently hiring coding talent. By the end of the course, students are proficient in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Basic Markdown, interacting with the DOM, Git, Github, Agile, Firebase, UX/UI, Node/Express, MongoDB, and Heroku. Savvy Coders knows that soft skills and branding are just as important as learning how to code, so from day one, communication skills are fostered and enhanced. Students learn how to put together a comprehensive resume and LinkedIn profile. Elevator pitches and introduction stories are created and practiced, and students become comfortable discussing themselves and their projects.

Savvy Coders bootcamp is designed for complete novices. Applicants must submit an online application and then are interviewed by the admissions team. Scholarships are available. Interested students can attend a free crash course to get hands-on practice coding and to see if Savvy Coders would be a good fit. All students who do not know how to code complete a prerequisite class before the start of the bootcamp. For those incoming students with some coding experience, there is a refresher course.

Savvy Coders supports the goal of becoming a coder and provides information and introductions to partner companies both during the bootcamp and after. Graduates of the bootcamp receive a certificate of completion.

Recent Savvy Coders Reviews: Rating 4.83

all (36) reviews for Savvy Coders →

Recent Savvy Coders News

• Front End Web Development

HTML, CSS
      In Person
      LocationChattanooga, Nashville, St. Louis
      Savvy Coders' month long web development course is broken down into 4 week segments. Week 1 covers the Fundamentals of Computing, HTML, CSS, JS and building your first website. Skills students learn in Week 1 include using the terminal, basic markdown, interacting with the DOM, HTML tags and stucture, CSS styling, version control with git and GitHub and basic JavaScript fundamentals. Week 2 is all about Functional JavaScript and learning about the key principles of programming with the language of the Web. Lesson modules include library usage with underscore.js, advanced variable and function use, JavaScript/browser, interactions through the DOM, adding web interactivity with JQuery, implementing video and audio through HTML5, introductory design principles for the web and software design and testing. Week 3 goes into Object-Oriented JavaScript and using JavaScript to delve-deeper into the industry standard of code design through Objects while building your portfolio. Look for lessons on object creation and manipulation, extending Objects through inheritance, using Objects in software, mastering Chrome Developer Tools and building a fully-functional website for your portfolio. In the final week, Week 4, students will explore Advanced Implementations and Web APIs. Students will build applications for larger-scale deployment and connect to other parts of the Web through APIs. The final lessons in this module include adding geo-location functionality with Google Maps API, implementing secure payment processing with Stripe, building your own APIs, deploying applications on a large scale and using backend-as-a-service.
      Tuition Plans3 months, $600 per month
    • Tyler Krszjzaniek • Student

I had an excellent experience during my time with Savvy Coders. I found myself always looking forward to attending the classes, even after a full day of work at my day job. I definitely recommend enrolling in the course.

The instructor Alex was very energetic and passionate about the course material. He was able to teach a huge amount of material in a short amount of time. His sense of humor and knowledge of the languages taught always helped class engagement too.

I also thought the pacing of the course mostly great. We learned at a brisk pace, which admittedly got to be a bit overwhelming towards the end, but overall made every day a positive learning experience. Some days were definitely a brain-burner, but I enjoyed the challenge.

After finishing the course, I feel like I have a great foundation for starting my career in coding. I learned a great amout of detail and I am excited to learn even more about coding.

• Great course!
      - 5/24/2018
      JAKE P • Graduate

I just finished the 60 hour course, was very informative and the instructors are amazing.  Well worth the time and money with not only the information you learn but also all the connections. A great launching pad into the world of coding.

• Thorough
      - 1/4/2018
      Jonai • Graduate

Thanks to SavvyCoders I've learned to be confident and comfortable with coding. I was just an HTML and CSS girl. Now I can do some pretty great animations with Javascript. If your looking for a class that's immersive, and a Instructor that actually cares. I suggest Savvy Coders!

• Savvy Coder Review
      - 10/24/2017
      Keondra D. • Consultant • Graduate

Savvy Coders provided a well thought out curriculum for working individuals. The course is designed to go as fast or as slow as need. My instructor made sure everyone was up to speed before we started a new lesson and we also did weekly recaps. This course provided me the hands on experience that I did not feel I was capturing in my undergraduate program.

• Kenny • Art Director • Graduate

Awesome Presentation at a great price. Most impressed with continuing concern and tech support after this course has ended. Savvy Coders offers both knowledge and networking.

I am not a natural born coder. Was always better at geometry (HTML, CSS) than algebra (JavaScript). In fact, I had bounced out of another program already. So, I came into Savvy Coders Group with JavaScript being sort of a thing. I had since tried tons of click classes and video tutorials. Alas.

Right in the very first class, a nice small one where I could pester this friendly guy with an avalanche of questions all of which were answered, our instructor asked what we were seeking. I said “I want to learn code, but more importantly I need to learn the coding environment.” Boyo, did Savvy deliver.

What I received in this course was, ten minutes into the first class, a completely different approach to development. Following up with just tons of other useful resources, websites, tricks, insights, paradigms, and approaches (none of which any previous instructor had mentioned), these guys completely blew my mind. When I got lost they found me. Can’t say enough good things.

Teaching was robust, lean, intense, personal  and fully accessible.

I came away with, let’s call it a library of pertinent notes, screen captures and browser bookmarks. Totally set to continue study and get hired!

JavaScript is a life long journey, not something which could ever be transmitted in six weeks of after work classes. It’s application is just massive and I was tardy to the party. Savvy Coders Group has totally given me the base to build on … and I am.

• Amy P. • Graduate

I took the Savvy Coder's Intro into Web Development class in Chattanooga, TN through a local program.  This course kick start my understanding of basic web development and coding. I would recommend this class and have provided some more details about my experience below.

# What role were you performing at work when you realized you had an interest in coding?
         I had a business administration and marketing background but was unemployed and wanted to explore new avenues. I was inspired by friends who were programmers and thought I would give it a try!
      # What steps were you taking to learn more?  Online courses?
         Once I fell in love with coding, I took advantage of every possible learning resource I could find. I took online courses, followed and read programming blogs and articles, and attended developer meetups.
      # Why did you decide to take the Savvy Coders class?
         After taking my first online course on Javascript, I knew I wanted to learn more but it was difficult to know what the next step in my learning process should be. I asked myself, "How do I create something outside of the online course environment? Do I have to master HTML before I can play around with Javascript?" I had more questions than I had prior to my first online course and believed it would be beneficial to continue learning in a class environment.
      # In what ways did the Savvy Coders class meet or exceed your expectations?
         I was surprised at how much content we learned in such a short time frame. I felt confident writing and editing basic HTML and Javascript, learned how to implement this new knowledge, and was always excited for the next class.
      # What are you doing now and how did the Savvy Coders class help?
         I am the Customer Care Specialist for the software team at an intellectual property management company. The Savvy Coder's class was instrumental in bringing about this opportunity for me. The skills I learned and the dedication required to complete the course allowed me to stand out as a candidate for my new position.
      # Would you recommend the class to others?  If yes, what type of person do you think the class can help?
         I would absolutely recommend this class to others who are interested in learning coding. I know it would help anyone who wants to improve or change their career, build their own website, or just learn a new hobby!

• Warren Rawlings • Interactive designer • Graduate

Evening classes formed around work and family requirements. It starts with environment set up and goes toward setting up GIT and a firebase website. We covered Markdown, CSS, HTML, and Javascript with a big emphasis on using the command line every chance we had. Other aspects included work on Bootstrap and other frameworks to accelerate how to be a designer and programmer in a team environment. There were 20 people in the class, 15 finished, and I know about 4 people that had jobs as a result of the class including my own (maybe three).

• Thelma

I enrolled in the December cohort in 2015 and immediately regretted spending my $1800. While the introduction did include the disclaimer that "it would be like drinking from a firehose," I did not expect the firehose to be set to full blast at the fastest setting possible.

I went into the course with basic HTML knowledge, but as each lesson progressed without any clear goals and learning reinforcements to see if students were actually understanding the concepts, I got increasingly frustrated.

While the instructors were more than willing to help, the curriculum and its pace itself is flawed, unless you're already at an intermediate level in your HTML and CSS skills.

Lessons that should have taken three hours were squeezed into one without any reviews to see if students were grasping the concepts and then it was on to the next cramming of three hours into one hour.

If you already know HTML and CSS and understand Javascript and jQuery, then this course is a great place to go deeper considering that other schools charge at least five figures.

If you're like me who had little knowledge of HTML, I would look into other schools that are less aggressive in cramming advanced lessons without any learning checks.

• Concise yet Robust
      - 11/6/2015
      JuliB

This course is a great introduction to what one can expect when learning front-end web development. I have been learning to code for a little under a year and this course really helped me connect the dots and refresh on skills that I had not touched on in several months. It is an excellent investment if you are thinking of applying for a bootcamp or a great supplement if you are planning to teach your self with online courses. The small class size is welcoming, unintimidating, and there is plenty of 1 on 1 help.

• Erin O. • Graduate

This course was a great "getting your feet wet" into the world of coding, programming, and web development. I had done some online learning and dabbling on my own in HTML, CSS, and Javascript prior to enrolling in this course, but the instructors and hands-on examples really helped solidify the concepts I was learning.

It was a lot to take on in addition to working a full-time job, but they exposure to different resources was great and having instructors experienced in the field in which to ask questions and clarify concepts was a huge benefit. And it's only 4 weeks long, so well worth the sacrifices.

Also, the instructors and administrators remain available for help, questions, resources, and other support after you finish the course, which is super helpful when you start branching off on your own in the field.

• Great Course!!!
      - 11/3/2015
      Jessica Harris • Student

SavvyCoders was a great course that allowed me gain a solid foundation of the skills I needed to advance my career in the development field. The condensed curriculum and convenient hours allowed me to take this bootcamp while still working a full-time job. Not to mention the instructors are SO helpful and really care about your goals. A week after I finished I was already meeting with development team leads at work talking about new positions. I feel so much more confident with this skill set.

Savvy Coders is a great place to start if you are a beginner in web development. The instructors were awesome and really took the time to help each of us understand concepts. They were always available for questions and one-on-one instruction. The class taught a wide range of skills and all the ground work that is needed to begin a career in web development. I was also impressed with the information they shared on the next steps in pursuing a career and building a portfolio.  If you put in the effort to learn, Savvy Coders will be a very rewarding experience.