savvy-coders-logo

Savvy Coders

Chattanooga, Nashville, St. Louis

Savvy Coders

Savvy Coders is a 12-week full stack web development coding boot camp in Chattanooga, Kansas City, St. Louis, and online. Savvy Coders provides its students with a firm foundation to become a Junior Full Stack Developer. Savvy Coders is a great option for beginners who want to learn or for those with coding skills that might need a refresher. Classes are held Monday through Thursday evenings, so students won’t have to give up their day job to attend the bootcamp. The bootcamp is taught by industry software developers, and the class size is kept small to ensure students receive one-on-one interaction with instructors.

Students will learn the basics of full stack development through a comprehensive curriculum that includes the creation of a capstone project that will be presented at the end of the course to companies that are currently hiring coding talent. By the end of the course, students are proficient in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Basic Markdown, interacting with the DOM, Git, Github, Agile, Firebase, UX/UI, Node/Express, MongoDB, and Heroku. Savvy Coders knows that soft skills and branding are just as important as learning how to code, so from day one, communication skills are fostered and enhanced. Students learn how to put together a comprehensive resume and LinkedIn profile. Elevator pitches and introduction stories are created and practiced, and students become comfortable discussing themselves and their projects.

Savvy Coders bootcamp is designed for complete novices. Applicants must submit an online application and then are interviewed by the admissions team. Scholarships are available. Interested students can attend a free crash course to get hands-on practice coding and to see if Savvy Coders would be a good fit. All students who do not know how to code complete a prerequisite class before the start of the bootcamp. For those incoming students with some coding experience, there is a refresher course.

Savvy Coders supports the goal of becoming a coder and provides information and introductions to partner companies both during the bootcamp and after. Graduates of the bootcamp receive a certificate of completion.

Recent Savvy Coders Reviews: Rating 4.85

all (39) reviews for Savvy Coders →

Recent Savvy Coders News

• Front End Web Development

HTML, CSS
      In Person
      Start Date January 25, 2021
      LocationChattanooga, Nashville, St. Louis
      Savvy Coders' month long web development course is broken down into 4 week segments. Week 1 covers the Fundamentals of Computing, HTML, CSS, JS and building your first website. Skills students learn in Week 1 include using the terminal, basic markdown, interacting with the DOM, HTML tags and stucture, CSS styling, version control with git and GitHub and basic JavaScript fundamentals. Week 2 is all about Functional JavaScript and learning about the key principles of programming with the language of the Web. Lesson modules include library usage with underscore.js, advanced variable and function use, JavaScript/browser, interactions through the DOM, adding web interactivity with JQuery, implementing video and audio through HTML5, introductory design principles for the web and software design and testing. Week 3 goes into Object-Oriented JavaScript and using JavaScript to delve-deeper into the industry standard of code design through Objects while building your portfolio. Look for lessons on object creation and manipulation, extending Objects through inheritance, using Objects in software, mastering Chrome Developer Tools and building a fully-functional website for your portfolio. In the final week, Week 4, students will explore Advanced Implementations and Web APIs. Students will build applications for larger-scale deployment and connect to other parts of the Web through APIs. The final lessons in this module include adding geo-location functionality with Google Maps API, implementing secure payment processing with Stripe, building your own APIs, deploying applications on a large scale and using backend-as-a-service.
      Tuition Plans3 months, $600 per month
      January 25, 2021 - St. Louis Apply by January 18, 2021
      January 25, 2021 - Chattanooga Apply by January 18, 2021
      January 25, 2021 - Nashville Apply by January 18, 2021
    • Phillip Temple  User Photo
      Phillip Temple • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
      No hyperbolly here.

This class was life-changing. I have been working jobs my whole life that just paid the bills. After this class, I have the confidence to start a career that is exciting and creative.

I have taken a lot of online classes that jump into Html, CSS, or Javascript without showing how to set up a coding environment. This class starts for the beginning. The staff started with Terminal and GitHub so that you are set up to succeed. Then it builds on those basics with Html, CSS, and Javascript.

One of the best things I learned in this class is the single page app by leveraging Javascript to render your page. So that the browser does not have to keep sending requests to the server.

This class also teaches object-oriented programming (OOP). This lays down the foundation for understanding many other languages as well as your continued education in Javascript.

The teacher and staff are second to none. They are always available on slack to help you with any problems that you might have during and even after the class is over.

The one thing that surprised me most about the class is the army of recruiters that are there to help you and guide you into finding not just a new job bought a new career in coding.

I recommend this class to anyone no matter what your skill level is. I started this class with little to no understanding of JavaScript. I am now able to talk to potential employers and other coders with confidence and I can't thank them enough for this.

Thanks for reading
      Phillip Temple
    • Andrew Roby  User Photo
      Andrew Roby • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Savvy Coders is knowledgeable, personal, and flexible -- exactly what I was looking for in a boot camp.  Even though they didn't have many reviews, I decided to join after going to their intro class. These are scheduled every so often and it's a great way to see how Alex (the lead instructor) teaches.  He's great at communicating some very difficult concepts, and strikes a great balance between explanation and hands-on coding.  Before the boot camp I was worried about course content, since Savvy Coders' marketing materials are a little bit scant.  However, the course is very well designed to get you "over the hump:" you will become comfortable with not only HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but also things like version control (using git), the command line interface, the architecture of the web, AJAX, and APIs.  Alex is also full of good advice about coding and freelancing, and will drill good habits into you.  You'll walk away with everything you need to set out on your own, start building, or further your education.

I came into the course with some familiarity with programming concepts like like loops and flow control, but there was never a time that I felt like the pace was too slow.  Like every boot camp, it requires a desire to dig in and actively research some of the material. However, the instructors are very helpful and responsive if you get stuck.  The schedule (6-9 pm) is perfect for working people, and I was always jazzed to go to class.  It's (currently) held at a great location (the CIC building, 4240 Duncan Ave) that has lots of networking events, which you're strongly encouraged to attend.

Even after graduation, instructors remained available for questions, and the cohort stayed in contact while we worked towards our demo day.  There was certainly an effort to get employers in the door at the event, but Savvy Coders is still a relatively unknown program and turnout was so-so. There is no job guarantee upon graduation, but that's not to say there was a shortage of opportunity for the competent and motivated.  Elaine (the founder) does a good job of passing along opportunities as they come to her.  For my own part, I was happy in my current job and was satisfied with the number of connections I made at the demo day event.

The upshot: I'm super glad I took this boot camp, would do it again if I had to start all over, and would consider taking an advanced class if they offered one.  That's the highest praise I can give.

• Asma • Student
      I have been trying to start to code again and learn new languages for almost 1 year. However, I was not consistent with my effort, I am so happy I took the decision to contact Savvy Coders. Learning in a group kept me motivated and helped me to not fall off track on my coding goal, Savvy Coders helped me to step outside my comfort zone and get my hands dirty building actual application, now I found my capabilities and confidence as a developer.
    • Trevon Allen • Technical Support • Graduate
      This Boot Camp was exactly the push I needed to becoming a full stack developer from the owner to the recruitment and preparation for finding a job after boot camp, they really prepare you for the career your pursuing in web development, enjoyed the process and time they invested in helping me get to where I am today.
    • Nicholas LaChance • Graduate

SavvyCoders is a great program to learn new and ever changing skills. This program is perfect for those who are new to programming, those who have never programmed, and those that would like to sharpen their skills.

I started SavvyCoders with a background in software as a hobby. After SavvyCoders I am 100% confident to apply for a job, continue research on my own (without getting lost), as well as having a group of individuals to go to for collaboration of ideas.

• Nowell Gata • Student

Savvy Coders was a great introduction into the tech world. I had zero experience going into this program and feel confident that I can put together a single page application using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I believe that the network that Savvy Coders provided will help me through my journey into the tech world, and considering the competition out there, this is probably the most cost-effective boot camp out there.

Attendance is mandatory. If you are new to software development, you must keep up and ask as precise of questions as possible OUTSIDE of class. Instructors use a LOT of industry slang. Learn from this.

If you are considering this boot camp, please note that doing the pre-coursework is highly recommended.

After going through this boot camp, I feel empowered and grateful for the knowledge and the network of the budding tech professionals from my cohort.

• John Ogunyelere • Graduate

Savvy Coders is a fantastic junior web developer camp here in St. Louis, with full hands-on technical skill training and professional conduct. It is unique for its small class size, rich course content, experienced instructors and awesome management who walk the tides with you and ensure that you come out as a fine product, ready made to hit the job market, change your career or advance your studies.

If I have the chance again, I will go back to Savvy Coders!!!

• Justin Lautz • Graduate

Savvy Coders is a fantastic way to get your foot in the door with coding, or build upon your existing knowledge. I went into this 11 week program with zero programing knowledge, and left with a strong foundation in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript with a focus on object oriented programming. The JavaScript portion of the course got pretty heavy into the single page web design idea which was the most challenging part of the course, but from what I understand, is a more progressive approach to building a web application / web site. I really enjoyed all my instructors and TA’s, and was pleasantly surprised on how much they focused on career and professional development towards the end of the course. It was more useful for some students than others, but a great addition to the curriculum none the less. Everything you will learn in the course will come together full circle in a Capstone Project and will be presented in a Demo Day which is the last “day” of class. Demo day was stressful but actually fun!

All I wanted out of this course was to get an idea of, not only if programming was for me, but if the tech culture as a whole fit my personality, and this course fit the bill perfectly – all the while not breaking the bank. My only criticism or suggested improvement would be to make sure all the instructors are aligned on how the content will be presented and taught to the students. The disconnect between the instructors made learning a bit more challenging then probably needed. Other than that, highly recommended!

• JOE • Graduate

As a part of my Savvy Coders course work. I have learned front end development tools like CSS and HTML as well as the more backend tools like JavaScript. I have worked independently on projects and have collaborated on group projects with the use of slack and GitHub for version control. I have had experience with HTML and CSS in college but we used Adobe Dreamweaver. Savvy coders is different! You are taught how to use the most up to date dev tools that will improve your workflow, thus making you savvy!

• Wonderful!
      - 1/31/2019
      Fabi Clubb

I am a recent Savvy Coders graduate and I can only say that taking this course was a great decision! I not only learned to code, but I met wonderful people. The teacher and the TAs did a great job. I am looking for a job at the moment, and even though I have already graduated, I am still getting great support from Savvy!

• A Great Choice!
      - 1/24/2019
      Jason Brown • IT Support Analyst • Graduate

I loved this class. I found taking the class through Savvy Coders to be extremely useful. I decided to make a career change and enter the world of Front End Web Development. Taking the Savvy Coders class taught me HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Before I took the class I had no knowledge of these, and after the class I was able to use them and build my own site! I would recommend this class to anyone who has ever thought about entering the world of Web Development.