savvy-coders-logo

Savvy Coders

Chattanooga, Kansas City, Online, St. Louis

Savvy Coders

Savvy Coders is an online coding boot camp offering the following classes: Full Stack Development, Data Analytics + Python, and Cyber Security. Classes are held Monday through Thursday evenings (for Full Stack and Data Analytics) so students won’t have to give up their day job to attend the boot camp. The boot camp is taught by industry software developers, and the class size is kept small to ensure students receive one-on-one interaction with instructors.

In the Full Stack Development bootcamp, students will learn the basics of full-stack development through a comprehensive curriculum that includes the creation of a capstone project that will be presented at the end of the course to companies that are currently hiring coding talent. By the end of the course, students are proficient in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Basic Markdown, interacting with the DOM, Git, Github, Agile, Firebase, UX/UI, Node/Express, MongoDB, and Heroku. Savvy Coders knows that soft skills and branding are just as important as learning how to code, so from day one, communication skills are fostered and enhanced. Students learn how to put together a comprehensive resume and LinkedIn profile. Elevator pitches and introduction stories are created and practiced, and students become comfortable discussing themselves and their projects.

Students will learn the basics of full stack development through a comprehensive curriculum that includes the creation of a capstone project that will be presented at the end of the course to companies that are currently hiring coding talent. By the end of the course, students are proficient in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Basic Markdown, interacting with the DOM, Git, Github, Agile, Firebase, UX/UI, Node/Express, MongoDB, and Heroku. Savvy Coders knows that soft skills and branding are just as important as learning how to code, so from day one, communication skills are fostered and enhanced. Students learn how to put together a comprehensive resume and LinkedIn profile. Elevator pitches and introduction stories are created and practiced, and students become comfortable discussing themselves and their projects.

In the Data Analytics + Python bootcamp, students will begin by knowing just the basics of coding and/or data analysis techniques to become fully qualified for a Data Analyst position. Unit 1 of the program focuses on Python and SQL. It includes a deep dive into Python data types, debugging, turtles, modules, recursion, functions, algorithms, tables and strings among others. Unit 2 takes the Python and SQL knowledge gained in Unit 1 and applies it to large data sets to extract information and explain it in a clear and concise manner. Using Pandas, Numpy, and other data visualization techniques, students will prepare and present a Capstone Project to demonstrate the knowledge gained during the course. In addition, throughout the cohort, students will meet with our placement team to work on a resume and LinkedIn creation and interview techniques, as well as develop other job-seeking skills. Students will be given a voucher to take the Desktop Specialist Tableau Certification Exam and will complete a Python Certification through the University of Michigan.

The Cyber Security bootcamp is taught at an accelerated pace, so that after 24 weeks, students can tackle many of the basics needed to start them on a path towards a career in Cybersecurity. Every class will focus on what one needs to know (and nothing they don’t). Classes are instructor-led in either a small, in-person classroom or virtual classroom.

Applicants must submit an online application and then be interviewed by the admissions team. Scholarships are available. Interested students can attend a free crash course to get hands-on practice coding and to see if Savvy Coders would be a good fit. All students complete prerequisites before the start of the boot camp.

Savvy Coders supports the goal of becoming a coder and provides information and introductions to partner companies both during the boot camp and after. Graduates of the boot camp receive a certificate of completion.

Recent Savvy Coders Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (51) reviews for Savvy Coders →

Recent Savvy Coders News

• Cybersecurity

Network Security, Mobile Security, Machine Learning
      LocationKansas City, Chattanooga, St. Louis, Online
      At Savvy Coders, we see the massive hiring demand in the field of Cybersecurity. Wanting to offer the best Boot Camp on the market, we partnered with Code Fellows to bring training in this growing field to the St. Louis area. Our program offers an in-depth look at Cybersecurity and Operations from the ground up. The course is taught by professionals in the Cyber community and is broken down into 4 units. Our classes are instructor-led in either a small, in-person classroom or virtual classroom. This program is taught at an accelerated pace so that after just 24 weeks, students can tackle many of the basics needed to start them on a path towards a career in Cybersecurity. Every class will focus on what one needs to know (and nothing they don’t). We want to help answer that increasing demand for Cybersecurity and Operations through helping our students out by any means necessary so that they are able to meet that demand after they graduate from Savvy Coders. We strive to help our students take control of their future, one month at a time. If you are looking for a place to start…then this course is for you!
      DepositContact Savvy Coders Amin for more information.
      Tuition PlansContact Savvy Coders Amin for more information.
      ScholarshipContact Savvy Coders Amin for more information.
      Minimum Skill LevelThere is no prior knowledge needed to take this course.
    • Data Analytics + Python

LocationKansas City, Chattanooga, St. Louis, Online
      The theory of data analytics has become increasingly popular and important with the ever-increasing amount of information that is being accumulated on a daily basis. Savvy Coders, in response to this need for more knowledge about how to use data effectively, offers an intensive 12-week course focused primarily on learning everything there is to know about analyzing big datasets efficiently. Students will begin by knowing just the basics of coding and/or data analysis techniques to become fully qualified for a Data Analyst position. Unit 1 of our program focuses on Python and SQL. It includes a deep dive into Python data types, debugging, turtles, modules, recursion, functions, algorithms, tables and strings among others. Unit 2 takes the Python and SQL knowledge gained in Unit 1 and applies it to large data sets to extract information and explains it in a clear and concise manner. Using Pandas, Numpy, and other data visualization techniques, students will prepare and present a Capstone Project to demonstrate the knowledge gained during the course. In addition, throughout the cohort, students will meet with our placement team to work on resume and LinkedIn creation and interview techniques, as well as develop other job seeking skills. Students will be given a voucher to take the Desktop Specialist Tableau Certification Exam.
      Deposit20% if applicable.
      Tuition Plans-Pay in full:5% discount if paid in full by start date via check or 2% discount if paid by credit card. -Financing through Savvy: This is a 0% interest loan, 20% upfront $1,000 per month. - Ascent: Limited to 3-year repayment maximum, Credit Required.
      ScholarshipScholarships Available to those who qualify, please contact Savvy Coders Admin for more information.
      Minimum Skill LevelFamiliarity with Excel or Google Sheets Basic Understanding of Descriptive statistics, Deviation, Good presentation and communication skills, Strong sense of curiosity. No prior coding experience required.
    • Front End Web Development

LocationSt. Louis, Chattanooga
      Savvy Coders' month long web development course is broken down into 4 week segments. Week 1 covers the Fundamentals of Computing, HTML, CSS, JS and building your first website. Skills students learn in Week 1 include using the terminal, basic markdown, interacting with the DOM, HTML tags and stucture, CSS styling, version control with git and GitHub and basic JavaScript fundamentals. Week 2 is all about Functional JavaScript and learning about the key principles of programming with the language of the Web. Lesson modules include library usage with underscore.js, advanced variable and function use, JavaScript/browser, interactions through the DOM, adding web interactivity with JQuery, implementing video and audio through HTML5, introductory design principles for the web and software design and testing. Week 3 goes into Object-Oriented JavaScript and using JavaScript to delve-deeper into the industry standard of code design through Objects while building your portfolio. Look for lessons on object creation and manipulation, extending Objects through inheritance, using Objects in software, mastering Chrome Developer Tools and building a fully-functional website for your portfolio. In the final week, Week 4, students will explore Advanced Implementations and Web APIs. Students will build applications for larger-scale deployment and connect to other parts of the Web through APIs. The final lessons in this module include adding geo-location functionality with Google Maps API, implementing secure payment processing with Stripe, building your own APIs, deploying applications on a large scale and using backend-as-a-service.
      Deposit20% if applicable.
    • Nathaniel Hudson  User Photo
      Nathaniel Hudson • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Savvy Coders is a ten week boot camp with an emphasis on HTML, CSS, and especially JavaScript. Before this class I possessed almost no skills related to coding and programing, Savvy Coders not only introduced me to these new skills but they assisted in building my own application every step of the way. I originally started my journey at a local university here in Saint Louis but I didn’t want to be forced into taking non related courses to meet state requirement such as history and art courses when all I really wanted was to learn programing and development, Savvy Coders gave me that ability. Very satisfied with the end result and now I have enough knowledge to continue learning on my own!

- 4/16/2019
      Amanda Engelman  User Photo
      Amanda Engelman • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I thought I would just learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript in the course due to the time restraints of the course (10 weeks). Thanks to the teachers and curriculum, we went so much further than that. This helped connect the dots on how everything really works behind the scenes. Even after the course, they are dedicated to assisting you in finding a new role; including helping you with resumes, interview preparation, as well as scheduling demo days to show off your newly-learned skills for potential future employers.

This was an overall great experience and I look forward to expanding the knowledge I have obtained from the course and using it to take my career to a level I wouldn't have been able to achieve without my experience with Savvy Coders.

• Kayla Forsythe  User Photo
      Kayla Forsythe • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Savvy Coders was the first stepping stones I needed to jumpstart the rest of my life.

My background is mainly resturant management and the customer service industry, but this course opened the doors for me into the world of software developement and much more. I learned how to utilize HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to build web pages from the ground up. I experienced working as a team with other developers, as well as working independently on my own project(s). The environment is fast-paced, advantageous, and the material is current.

Along with learning those programming languages, I was matched with a local IT recruiter who helped me reconstruct my resume, pin-point and utilize my soft skills, and give preparation for IT styled job interviews. But the recruiter didn't leave when I graduated. She stays in contact with me, offering job placement opportunites and career advice.

I was fortunate enough to attend a cohert where the other students were just as driven and 'new' to development as I was. We all had various backgrounds, but we were able to build each other up and bounce ideas and solutions off of one another. There were always TA's and instructors available to help answer questions, but we loved to problem solve! We worked together so well during this course, some of us get together every so often for a game night.

I started this course to 'dip my toes' into IT. I ended this course as a software delevoper. Savvy Coders offered me more than a classroom to learn in, and a teacher to listen to. They helped me build upon myself, and plant my feet into the career field I wanted to grow in.

• Career Change
      - 1/27/2019
      Chaquita Johnson-Moore  User Photo
      Chaquita Johnson-Moore • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

SavvyCoders is an excellent introduction to front end web development. I started classes in October 2018 looking for training that would enable me to transition to a new career. The instruction is fast-paced and thorough, helping you to build the foundation that will prepare you to enter the industry. Established mentors in the field made themselves available to us while we worked on our capstone projects. On top of the classes, we also were received resume help and invaluable interview coaching with consultants that work closely with the program and will work with us until we are placed in a job in the industry.

The boot camp currently runs for ten weeks, Monday through Thursday 6:15 pm - 9:15 pm.

• Gamer Changer
      - 1/24/2019
      Damian Clay-Downing  User Photo
      Damian Clay-Downing • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

While learning about web coding in highschool, I became interested and wanted to learn more. I sought out online web classes like Code Academy and Alison, I learned a lump sum of information on my own because couldn't ask anyone any questions to get a better understanding but there was no one. After years of trying to find a job on my own, I couldn't find any entry level or internships in Web Development.. I am now 26 and after a long search of web development training classes, I found Savvy Coders through a reference from Slate. I took the 10 week course and it was everything I was looking for. Savvy Coders gave me a better understanding of HTML and CSS along with tips and tricks on how to write code more efficiently. I also learned JavaScript which was next on my coding list, this experience changed my perspective about. This class not only will teach you how to code but it will teach how to structure your code so that it is readable not only your viewers but to you as well. By the end of the course I was able to design, build and present my Capstone project that I was proud of and that I can add my project to my portfolio. Savvy Coders helped me to become a more efficient junior web developer, I now have other ideas of future projects that I want to work on. If you're looking for a Web Development school or training, Savvy Coders is where you should be. Its great experience and great place to learn about Web Development. You will work with a team of recruiters that will help you with job placements at the end of the course.

• Phillip Temple  User Photo
      Phillip Temple • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
      No hyperbolly here.

This class was life-changing. I have been working jobs my whole life that just paid the bills. After this class, I have the confidence to start a career that is exciting and creative.

I have taken a lot of online classes that jump into Html, CSS, or Javascript without showing how to set up a coding environment. This class starts for the beginning. The staff started with Terminal and GitHub so that you are set up to succeed. Then it builds on those basics with Html, CSS, and Javascript.

One of the best things I learned in this class is the single page app by leveraging Javascript to render your page. So that the browser does not have to keep sending requests to the server.

This class also teaches object-oriented programming (OOP). This lays down the foundation for understanding many other languages as well as your continued education in Javascript.

The teacher and staff are second to none. They are always available on slack to help you with any problems that you might have during and even after the class is over.

The one thing that surprised me most about the class is the army of recruiters that are there to help you and guide you into finding not just a new job bought a new career in coding.

I recommend this class to anyone no matter what your skill level is. I started this class with little to no understanding of JavaScript. I am now able to talk to potential employers and other coders with confidence and I can't thank them enough for this.

Thanks for reading
      Phillip Temple
    • Andrew Roby  User Photo
      Andrew Roby • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Savvy Coders is knowledgeable, personal, and flexible -- exactly what I was looking for in a boot camp.  Even though they didn't have many reviews, I decided to join after going to their intro class. These are scheduled every so often and it's a great way to see how Alex (the lead instructor) teaches.  He's great at communicating some very difficult concepts, and strikes a great balance between explanation and hands-on coding.  Before the boot camp I was worried about course content, since Savvy Coders' marketing materials are a little bit scant.  However, the course is very well designed to get you "over the hump:" you will become comfortable with not only HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but also things like version control (using git), the command line interface, the architecture of the web, AJAX, and APIs.  Alex is also full of good advice about coding and freelancing, and will drill good habits into you.  You'll walk away with everything you need to set out on your own, start building, or further your education.

I came into the course with some familiarity with programming concepts like like loops and flow control, but there was never a time that I felt like the pace was too slow.  Like every boot camp, it requires a desire to dig in and actively research some of the material. However, the instructors are very helpful and responsive if you get stuck.  The schedule (6-9 pm) is perfect for working people, and I was always jazzed to go to class.  It's (currently) held at a great location (the CIC building, 4240 Duncan Ave) that has lots of networking events, which you're strongly encouraged to attend.

Even after graduation, instructors remained available for questions, and the cohort stayed in contact while we worked towards our demo day.  There was certainly an effort to get employers in the door at the event, but Savvy Coders is still a relatively unknown program and turnout was so-so. There is no job guarantee upon graduation, but that's not to say there was a shortage of opportunity for the competent and motivated.  Elaine (the founder) does a good job of passing along opportunities as they come to her.  For my own part, I was happy in my current job and was satisfied with the number of connections I made at the demo day event.

The upshot: I'm super glad I took this boot camp, would do it again if I had to start all over, and would consider taking an advanced class if they offered one.  That's the highest praise I can give.

• Yuneik • Graduate
      I've recently graduated from Savvy Coders' Full Stack Development Boot Camp and overall it was a very informative experience! We're taught a lot in every class and the staff members are always striving to be as available and helpful as they can. They also listen to your interests to try and help you reach connections and job placements based on them. Everyone here is very supportive and try their best to ensure that all of their students are as capable of success as one another. On top of that, they give you access to LOADS of resources in case you want to keep practicing/learning outside of class. In conclusion, this class will be a very welcoming experience to anyone who wants to learn how to code and pursue a development field!
    • Joe • Graduate
      I would highly recommend Savvy Coders. I graduated earlier this year and have since been finding opportunities around every corner it seems. You must be ready to commit to the schedule and do your part outside of the course if you want to be successful, but if you do commit the time and energy, study, and do the necessary work on your part afterwards I believe that anyone can have success. I am 35 years old and my background through the large majority of my adult life has been working in the construction field so if they can teach me to be a developer they can teach anyone. Another thing that I took away from Savvy Coders was a bond with my fellow class mates and team that has carried on after graduation. It is exciting to keep up with the others and see where the course has taken them and what jobs they land afterwards. I can honestly say without the interview preps and the help building my "brand" and resume I do not think I would have gotten the attention that I have been from employers. In case anyone is curious I have only been out of class a little over 1 month and have had a handful of interviews most of which I am still waiting to hear back from. I also landed a great freelance opportunity that I have been working on a few weeks now and pays a little over triple what my previous pay was. I am also working on a part time internship with a company based out of Miami, FL building a new JavaScript library. I was doing none of these things prior to Savvy Coders so I owe them a lot.
    • Very helpful
      - 10/1/2021
      Savion Amerson
      This bootcamp has worked wonders for me! It's thanks to them I picked up so much useful knowledge and have now obtained a job as a software engineer! Would heavily recommend!
    • Hayden Matz • Graduate
      Savvy Coders is a great bootcamp to take you from zero to hero, they require you to complete some precourse material to be accepted into the program which took me about a week to complete. Over the course of 12 weeks you will learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, how to build a Single Page Application, MongoDB, and how to host your front end / backend so they communicate with each other and so that they can be visited on the web. All of your learnings will be applied to your capstone project on a weekly basis through homework assigned on the weekends. At the end of the 12 weeks you will get the opportunity to display your capstone project to a group of hiring entities and people with tech backgrounds. The career coaching and networking are awesome.

You will need to apply yourself throughout your time here, just showing up and doing the assigned work will not be fully sufficient to land a job at the end of the bootcamp. Plan on spending at least an equal amount of time researching things that interest you and things you can apply to your capstone project if you want to separate yourself from the crowd.

Also, make sure you communicate with your classmates and help them / learn from them, the connections you make are important.

I can say I was able to land interviews before the end of the course and I am currently in the final stages of interviewing with a very promising opportunity and just graduated two days ago.

Overall I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone with the drive and desire to become a full stack web developer.