savvy-coders-logo

Savvy Coders

Chattanooga, Nashville, Nashville, St. Louis

Savvy Coders

Savvy Coders is a 6-week intro to web development coding bootcamp in Nashville and Chattanooga, Tennessee, and St. Louis, Missouri. Savvy Coders is a great option for beginners who want to learn how to code. Savvy Coders believes coding is a 21st-century skill that everyone can learn without giving up their day job. Students enrolled at Savvy Coders attend coding bootcamp 3-4 days per week, 3 hours each evening from 6-9pm.

Throughout the course, students will learn the basics of web design and front-end development through building a portfolio of projects. Graduates of Savvy Coders will be proficient in HTML, CSS and JavaScript and also know how to use Github and APIs to enhance their projects.

Interested students can attend the free, 1.5-hour Crash Course for the Curious to get hands-on practice coding. The Crash Course covers HTML, CSS and JavaScript and students will build a website throughout the class.

The Savvy Coders 6-week front-end web development classes are held at co-working spaces in St. Louis, Nashville, and Chatanooga. These co-working spaces represent a community of innovators and entrepreneurs that come together to network and learn.

Recent Savvy Coders Reviews: Rating 4.81

all (32) reviews for Savvy Coders →

Recent Savvy Coders News

• Front End Web Development

HTML, CSS
      In Person
      LocationChattanooga, Nashville, St. Louis
      Savvy Coders' month long web development course is broken down into 4 week segments. Week 1 covers the Fundamentals of Computing, HTML, CSS, JS and building your first website. Skills students learn in Week 1 include using the terminal, basic markdown, interacting with the DOM, HTML tags and stucture, CSS styling, version control with git and GitHub and basic JavaScript fundamentals. Week 2 is all about Functional JavaScript and learning about the key principles of programming with the language of the Web. Lesson modules include library usage with underscore.js, advanced variable and function use, JavaScript/browser, interactions through the DOM, adding web interactivity with JQuery, implementing video and audio through HTML5, introductory design principles for the web and software design and testing. Week 3 goes into Object-Oriented JavaScript and using JavaScript to delve-deeper into the industry standard of code design through Objects while building your portfolio. Look for lessons on object creation and manipulation, extending Objects through inheritance, using Objects in software, mastering Chrome Developer Tools and building a fully-functional website for your portfolio. In the final week, Week 4, students will explore Advanced Implementations and Web APIs. Students will build applications for larger-scale deployment and connect to other parts of the Web through APIs. The final lessons in this module include adding geo-location functionality with Google Maps API, implementing secure payment processing with Stripe, building your own APIs, deploying applications on a large scale and using backend-as-a-service.
      Tuition Plans3 months, $600 per month
    • Nyilah Johnson  User Photo
      Nyilah Johnson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Going through SavvyCoders has transformed me from a union laborer with no IT knowledge into a Junior Web Developer with marketable skills and experience. I have a complete knowledge of JavaScript, HTML5 and CSS3. Not only did they give me the knowledge needed to excel in my first IT position they also prepared me with a solid resume, a great LinkedIn and the interview skills needed to land that first position.  An all around amazing bootcamp!

• Rusty Hoppins  User Photo
      Rusty Hoppins • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Savvy Coders gave me the tools I need to succeed and the resources to continue to do so. I now have a firm grasp on building modular single-page applications using functional components. I fully recommend anyone interested in pursuing a job in Web Development to give Savvy Coders a try.
    • Nathaniel Hudson  User Photo
      Nathaniel Hudson • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Savvy Coders is a ten week boot camp with an emphasis on HTML, CSS, and especially JavaScript. Before this class I possessed almost no skills related to coding and programing, Savvy Coders not only introduced me to these new skills but they assisted in building my own application every step of the way. I originally started my journey at a local university here in Saint Louis but I didn’t want to be forced into taking non related courses to meet state requirement such as history and art courses when all I really wanted was to learn programing and development, Savvy Coders gave me that ability. Very satisfied with the end result and now I have enough knowledge to continue learning on my own!

- 4/16/2019
      Amanda Engelman  User Photo
      Amanda Engelman • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I thought I would just learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript in the course due to the time restraints of the course (10 weeks). Thanks to the teachers and curriculum, we went so much further than that. This helped connect the dots on how everything really works behind the scenes. Even after the course, they are dedicated to assisting you in finding a new role; including helping you with resumes, interview preparation, as well as scheduling demo days to show off your newly-learned skills for potential future employers.

This was an overall great experience and I look forward to expanding the knowledge I have obtained from the course and using it to take my career to a level I wouldn't have been able to achieve without my experience with Savvy Coders.

• Kayla Forsythe  User Photo
      Kayla Forsythe • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Savvy Coders was the first stepping stones I needed to jumpstart the rest of my life.

My background is mainly resturant management and the customer service industry, but this course opened the doors for me into the world of software developement and much more. I learned how to utilize HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to build web pages from the ground up. I experienced working as a team with other developers, as well as working independently on my own project(s). The environment is fast-paced, advantageous, and the material is current.

Along with learning those programming languages, I was matched with a local IT recruiter who helped me reconstruct my resume, pin-point and utilize my soft skills, and give preparation for IT styled job interviews. But the recruiter didn't leave when I graduated. She stays in contact with me, offering job placement opportunites and career advice.

I was fortunate enough to attend a cohert where the other students were just as driven and 'new' to development as I was. We all had various backgrounds, but we were able to build each other up and bounce ideas and solutions off of one another. There were always TA's and instructors available to help answer questions, but we loved to problem solve! We worked together so well during this course, some of us get together every so often for a game night.

I started this course to 'dip my toes' into IT. I ended this course as a software delevoper. Savvy Coders offered me more than a classroom to learn in, and a teacher to listen to. They helped me build upon myself, and plant my feet into the career field I wanted to grow in.

• Career Change
      - 1/28/2019
      Chaquita Johnson-Moore  User Photo
      Chaquita Johnson-Moore • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

SavvyCoders is an excellent introduction to front end web development. I started classes in October 2018 looking for training that would enable me to transition to a new career. The instruction is fast-paced and thorough, helping you to build the foundation that will prepare you to enter the industry. Established mentors in the field made themselves available to us while we worked on our capstone projects. On top of the classes, we also were received resume help and invaluable interview coaching with consultants that work closely with the program and will work with us until we are placed in a job in the industry.

The boot camp currently runs for ten weeks, Monday through Thursday 6:15 pm - 9:15 pm.

• Gamer Changer
      - 1/25/2019
      Damian Clay-Downing  User Photo
      Damian Clay-Downing • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

While learning about web coding in highschool, I became interested and wanted to learn more. I sought out online web classes like Code Academy and Alison, I learned a lump sum of information on my own because couldn't ask anyone any questions to get a better understanding but there was no one. After years of trying to find a job on my own, I couldn't find any entry level or internships in Web Development.. I am now 26 and after a long search of web development training classes, I found Savvy Coders through a reference from Slate. I took the 10 week course and it was everything I was looking for. Savvy Coders gave me a better understanding of HTML and CSS along with tips and tricks on how to write code more efficiently. I also learned JavaScript which was next on my coding list, this experience changed my perspective about. This class not only will teach you how to code but it will teach how to structure your code so that it is readable not only your viewers but to you as well. By the end of the course I was able to design, build and present my Capstone project that I was proud of and that I can add my project to my portfolio. Savvy Coders helped me to become a more efficient junior web developer, I now have other ideas of future projects that I want to work on. If you're looking for a Web Development school or training, Savvy Coders is where you should be. Its great experience and great place to learn about Web Development. You will work with a team of recruiters that will help you with job placements at the end of the course.

• Phillip Temple  User Photo
      Phillip Temple • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
      No hyperbolly here.

This class was life-changing. I have been working jobs my whole life that just paid the bills. After this class, I have the confidence to start a career that is exciting and creative.

I have taken a lot of online classes that jump into Html, CSS, or Javascript without showing how to set up a coding environment. This class starts for the beginning. The staff started with Terminal and GitHub so that you are set up to succeed. Then it builds on those basics with Html, CSS, and Javascript.

One of the best things I learned in this class is the single page app by leveraging Javascript to render your page. So that the browser does not have to keep sending requests to the server.

This class also teaches object-oriented programming (OOP). This lays down the foundation for understanding many other languages as well as your continued education in Javascript.

The teacher and staff are second to none. They are always available on slack to help you with any problems that you might have during and even after the class is over.

The one thing that surprised me most about the class is the army of recruiters that are there to help you and guide you into finding not just a new job bought a new career in coding.

I recommend this class to anyone no matter what your skill level is. I started this class with little to no understanding of JavaScript. I am now able to talk to potential employers and other coders with confidence and I can't thank them enough for this.

Thanks for reading
      Phillip Temple
    • Andrew Roby  User Photo
      Andrew Roby • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Savvy Coders is knowledgeable, personal, and flexible -- exactly what I was looking for in a boot camp.  Even though they didn't have many reviews, I decided to join after going to their intro class. These are scheduled every so often and it's a great way to see how Alex (the lead instructor) teaches.  He's great at communicating some very difficult concepts, and strikes a great balance between explanation and hands-on coding.  Before the boot camp I was worried about course content, since Savvy Coders' marketing materials are a little bit scant.  However, the course is very well designed to get you "over the hump:" you will become comfortable with not only HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but also things like version control (using git), the command line interface, the architecture of the web, AJAX, and APIs.  Alex is also full of good advice about coding and freelancing, and will drill good habits into you.  You'll walk away with everything you need to set out on your own, start building, or further your education.

I came into the course with some familiarity with programming concepts like like loops and flow control, but there was never a time that I felt like the pace was too slow.  Like every boot camp, it requires a desire to dig in and actively research some of the material. However, the instructors are very helpful and responsive if you get stuck.  The schedule (6-9 pm) is perfect for working people, and I was always jazzed to go to class.  It's (currently) held at a great location (the CIC building, 4240 Duncan Ave) that has lots of networking events, which you're strongly encouraged to attend.

Even after graduation, instructors remained available for questions, and the cohort stayed in contact while we worked towards our demo day.  There was certainly an effort to get employers in the door at the event, but Savvy Coders is still a relatively unknown program and turnout was so-so. There is no job guarantee upon graduation, but that's not to say there was a shortage of opportunity for the competent and motivated.  Elaine (the founder) does a good job of passing along opportunities as they come to her.  For my own part, I was happy in my current job and was satisfied with the number of connections I made at the demo day event.

The upshot: I'm super glad I took this boot camp, would do it again if I had to start all over, and would consider taking an advanced class if they offered one.  That's the highest praise I can give.

• Nicholas LaChance • Graduate

SavvyCoders is a great program to learn new and ever changing skills. This program is perfect for those who are new to programming, those who have never programmed, and those that would like to sharpen their skills.

I started SavvyCoders with a background in software as a hobby. After SavvyCoders I am 100% confident to apply for a job, continue research on my own (without getting lost), as well as having a group of individuals to go to for collaboration of ideas.

• Nowell Gata • Student

Savvy Coders was a great introduction into the tech world. I had zero experience going into this program and feel confident that I can put together a single page application using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I believe that the network that Savvy Coders provided will help me through my journey into the tech world, and considering the competition out there, this is probably the most cost-effective boot camp out there.

Attendance is mandatory. If you are new to software development, you must keep up and ask as precise of questions as possible OUTSIDE of class. Instructors use a LOT of industry slang. Learn from this.

If you are considering this boot camp, please note that doing the pre-coursework is highly recommended.

After going through this boot camp, I feel empowered and grateful for the knowledge and the network of the budding tech professionals from my cohort.