savvy-coders-logo

Savvy Coders

Chattanooga, Nashville, Nashville, St. Louis

Savvy Coders

Savvy Coders is a 6-week intro to web development coding bootcamp in Nashville and Chattanooga, Tennessee, and St. Louis, Missouri. Savvy Coders is a great option for beginners who want to learn how to code. Savvy Coders believes coding is a 21st-century skill that everyone can learn without giving up their day job. Students enrolled at Savvy Coders attend coding bootcamp 3-4 days per week, 3 hours each evening from 6-9pm.

Throughout the course, students will learn the basics of web design and front-end development through building a portfolio of projects. Graduates of Savvy Coders will be proficient in HTML, CSS and JavaScript and also know how to use Github and APIs to enhance their projects.

Interested students can attend the free, 1.5-hour Crash Course for the Curious to get hands-on practice coding. The Crash Course covers HTML, CSS and JavaScript and students will build a website throughout the class.

The Savvy Coders 6-week front-end web development classes are held at co-working spaces in St. Louis, Nashville, and Chatanooga. These co-working spaces represent a community of innovators and entrepreneurs that come together to network and learn.

Recent Savvy Coders Reviews: Rating 4.8

all (30) reviews for Savvy Coders →

Recent Savvy Coders News

• Front End Web Development

HTML, CSS
      In Person
      Chattanooga, Nashville, St. Louis
      Savvy Coders' month long web development course is broken down into 4 week segments. Week 1 covers the Fundamentals of Computing, HTML, CSS, JS and building your first website. Skills students learn in Week 1 include using the terminal, basic markdown, interacting with the DOM, HTML tags and stucture, CSS styling, version control with git and GitHub and basic JavaScript fundamentals. Week 2 is all about Functional JavaScript and learning about the key principles of programming with the language of the Web. Lesson modules include library usage with underscore.js, advanced variable and function use, JavaScript/browser, interactions through the DOM, adding web interactivity with JQuery, implementing video and audio through HTML5, introductory design principles for the web and software design and testing. Week 3 goes into Object-Oriented JavaScript and using JavaScript to delve-deeper into the industry standard of code design through Objects while building your portfolio. Look for lessons on object creation and manipulation, extending Objects through inheritance, using Objects in software, mastering Chrome Developer Tools and building a fully-functional website for your portfolio. In the final week, Week 4, students will explore Advanced Implementations and Web APIs. Students will build applications for larger-scale deployment and connect to other parts of the Web through APIs. The final lessons in this module include adding geo-location functionality with Google Maps API, implementing secure payment processing with Stripe, building your own APIs, deploying applications on a large scale and using backend-as-a-service.
      $600
      3 months, $600 per month
      Beginner
      Interview

• Rusty Hoppins  User Photo
      Rusty Hoppins • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Savvy Coders gave me the tools I need to succeed and the resources to continue to do so. I now have a firm grasp on building modular single-page applications using functional components. I fully recommend anyone interested in pursuing a job in Web Development to give Savvy Coders a try.
    • Nathaniel Hudson  User Photo
      Nathaniel Hudson • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Savvy Coders is a ten week boot camp with an emphasis on HTML, CSS, and especially JavaScript. Before this class I possessed almost no skills related to coding and programing, Savvy Coders not only introduced me to these new skills but they assisted in building my own application every step of the way. I originally started my journey at a local university here in Saint Louis but I didn’t want to be forced into taking non related courses to meet state requirement such as history and art courses when all I really wanted was to learn programing and development, Savvy Coders gave me that ability. Very satisfied with the end result and now I have enough knowledge to continue learning on my own!

- 4/16/2019
      Amanda Engelman  User Photo
      Amanda Engelman • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I thought I would just learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript in the course due to the time restraints of the course (10 weeks). Thanks to the teachers and curriculum, we went so much further than that. This helped connect the dots on how everything really works behind the scenes. Even after the course, they are dedicated to assisting you in finding a new role; including helping you with resumes, interview preparation, as well as scheduling demo days to show off your newly-learned skills for potential future employers.

This was an overall great experience and I look forward to expanding the knowledge I have obtained from the course and using it to take my career to a level I wouldn't have been able to achieve without my experience with Savvy Coders.

• Kayla Forsythe  User Photo
      Kayla Forsythe • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Savvy Coders was the first stepping stones I needed to jumpstart the rest of my life.

My background is mainly resturant management and the customer service industry, but this course opened the doors for me into the world of software developement and much more. I learned how to utilize HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to build web pages from the ground up. I experienced working as a team with other developers, as well as working independently on my own project(s). The environment is fast-paced, advantageous, and the material is current.

Along with learning those programming languages, I was matched with a local IT recruiter who helped me reconstruct my resume, pin-point and utilize my soft skills, and give preparation for IT styled job interviews. But the recruiter didn't leave when I graduated. She stays in contact with me, offering job placement opportunites and career advice.

I was fortunate enough to attend a cohert where the other students were just as driven and 'new' to development as I was. We all had various backgrounds, but we were able to build each other up and bounce ideas and solutions off of one another. There were always TA's and instructors available to help answer questions, but we loved to problem solve! We worked together so well during this course, some of us get together every so often for a game night.

I started this course to 'dip my toes' into IT. I ended this course as a software delevoper. Savvy Coders offered me more than a classroom to learn in, and a teacher to listen to. They helped me build upon myself, and plant my feet into the career field I wanted to grow in.

• Career Change
      - 1/28/2019
      Chaquita Johnson-Moore  User Photo
      Chaquita Johnson-Moore • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

SavvyCoders is an excellent introduction to front end web development. I started classes in October 2018 looking for training that would enable me to transition to a new career. The instruction is fast-paced and thorough, helping you to build the foundation that will prepare you to enter the industry. Established mentors in the field made themselves available to us while we worked on our capstone projects. On top of the classes, we also were received resume help and invaluable interview coaching with consultants that work closely with the program and will work with us until we are placed in a job in the industry.

The boot camp currently runs for ten weeks, Monday through Thursday 6:15 pm - 9:15 pm.

• Gamer Changer
      - 1/25/2019
      Damian Clay-Downing  User Photo
      Damian Clay-Downing • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

While learning about web coding in highschool, I became interested and wanted to learn more. I sought out online web classes like Code Academy and Alison, I learned a lump sum of information on my own because couldn't ask anyone any questions to get a better understanding but there was no one. After years of trying to find a job on my own, I couldn't find any entry level or internships in Web Development.. I am now 26 and after a long search of web development training classes, I found Savvy Coders through a reference from Slate. I took the 10 week course and it was everything I was looking for. Savvy Coders gave me a better understanding of HTML and CSS along with tips and tricks on how to write code more efficiently. I also learned JavaScript which was next on my coding list, this experience changed my perspective about. This class not only will teach you how to code but it will teach how to structure your code so that it is readable not only your viewers but to you as well. By the end of the course I was able to design, build and present my Capstone project that I was proud of and that I can add my project to my portfolio. Savvy Coders helped me to become a more efficient junior web developer, I now have other ideas of future projects that I want to work on. If you're looking for a Web Development school or training, Savvy Coders is where you should be. Its great experience and great place to learn about Web Development. You will work with a team of recruiters that will help you with job placements at the end of the course.

• Phillip Temple  User Photo
      Phillip Temple • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
      No hyperbolly here.

This class was life-changing. I have been working jobs my whole life that just paid the bills. After this class, I have the confidence to start a career that is exciting and creative.

I have taken a lot of online classes that jump into Html, CSS, or Javascript without showing how to set up a coding environment. This class starts for the beginning. The staff started with Terminal and GitHub so that you are set up to succeed. Then it builds on those basics with Html, CSS, and Javascript.

One of the best things I learned in this class is the single page app by leveraging Javascript to render your page. So that the browser does not have to keep sending requests to the server.

This class also teaches object-oriented programming (OOP). This lays down the foundation for understanding many other languages as well as your continued education in Javascript.

The teacher and staff are second to none. They are always available on slack to help you with any problems that you might have during and even after the class is over.

The one thing that surprised me most about the class is the army of recruiters that are there to help you and guide you into finding not just a new job bought a new career in coding.

I recommend this class to anyone no matter what your skill level is. I started this class with little to no understanding of JavaScript. I am now able to talk to potential employers and other coders with confidence and I can't thank them enough for this.

Thanks for reading
      Phillip Temple
    • Andrew Roby  User Photo
      Andrew Roby • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Savvy Coders is knowledgeable, personal, and flexible -- exactly what I was looking for in a boot camp.  Even though they didn't have many reviews, I decided to join after going to their intro class. These are scheduled every so often and it's a great way to see how Alex (the lead instructor) teaches.  He's great at communicating some very difficult concepts, and strikes a great balance between explanation and hands-on coding.  Before the boot camp I was worried about course content, since Savvy Coders' marketing materials are a little bit scant.  However, the course is very well designed to get you "over the hump:" you will become comfortable with not only HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but also things like version control (using git), the command line interface, the architecture of the web, AJAX, and APIs.  Alex is also full of good advice about coding and freelancing, and will drill good habits into you.  You'll walk away with everything you need to set out on your own, start building, or further your education.

I came into the course with some familiarity with programming concepts like like loops and flow control, but there was never a time that I felt like the pace was too slow.  Like every boot camp, it requires a desire to dig in and actively research some of the material. However, the instructors are very helpful and responsive if you get stuck.  The schedule (6-9 pm) is perfect for working people, and I was always jazzed to go to class.  It's (currently) held at a great location (the CIC building, 4240 Duncan Ave) that has lots of networking events, which you're strongly encouraged to attend.

Even after graduation, instructors remained available for questions, and the cohort stayed in contact while we worked towards our demo day.  There was certainly an effort to get employers in the door at the event, but Savvy Coders is still a relatively unknown program and turnout was so-so. There is no job guarantee upon graduation, but that's not to say there was a shortage of opportunity for the competent and motivated.  Elaine (the founder) does a good job of passing along opportunities as they come to her.  For my own part, I was happy in my current job and was satisfied with the number of connections I made at the demo day event.

The upshot: I'm super glad I took this boot camp, would do it again if I had to start all over, and would consider taking an advanced class if they offered one.  That's the highest praise I can give.

• Nowell Gata • Student

Savvy Coders was a great introduction into the tech world. I had zero experience going into this program and feel confident that I can put together a single page application using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I believe that the network that Savvy Coders provided will help me through my journey into the tech world, and considering the competition out there, this is probably the most cost-effective boot camp out there.

Attendance is mandatory. If you are new to software development, you must keep up and ask as precise of questions as possible OUTSIDE of class. Instructors use a LOT of industry slang. Learn from this.

If you are considering this boot camp, please note that doing the pre-coursework is highly recommended.

After going through this boot camp, I feel empowered and grateful for the knowledge and the network of the budding tech professionals from my cohort.

• John Ogunyelere • Graduate

Savvy Coders is a fantastic junior web developer camp here in St. Louis, with full hands-on technical skill training and professional conduct. It is unique for its small class size, rich course content, experienced instructors and awesome management who walk the tides with you and ensure that you come out as a fine product, ready made to hit the job market, change your career or advance your studies.

If I have the chance again, I will go back to Savvy Coders!!!

• Justin Lautz • Graduate

Savvy Coders is a fantastic way to get your foot in the door with coding, or build upon your existing knowledge. I went into this 11 week program with zero programing knowledge, and left with a strong foundation in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript with a focus on object oriented programming. The JavaScript portion of the course got pretty heavy into the single page web design idea which was the most challenging part of the course, but from what I understand, is a more progressive approach to building a web application / web site. I really enjoyed all my instructors and TA’s, and was pleasantly surprised on how much they focused on career and professional development towards the end of the course. It was more useful for some students than others, but a great addition to the curriculum none the less. Everything you will learn in the course will come together full circle in a Capstone Project and will be presented in a Demo Day which is the last “day” of class. Demo day was stressful but actually fun!

All I wanted out of this course was to get an idea of, not only if programming was for me, but if the tech culture as a whole fit my personality, and this course fit the bill perfectly – all the while not breaking the bank. My only criticism or suggested improvement would be to make sure all the instructors are aligned on how the content will be presented and taught to the students. The disconnect between the instructors made learning a bit more challenging then probably needed. Other than that, highly recommended!

• JOE • Graduate

As a part of my Savvy Coders course work. I have learned front end development tools like CSS and HTML as well as the more backend tools like JavaScript. I have worked independently on projects and have collaborated on group projects with the use of slack and GitHub for version control. I have had experience with HTML and CSS in college but we used Adobe Dreamweaver. Savvy coders is different! You are taught how to use the most up to date dev tools that will improve your workflow, thus making you savvy!

• Wonderful!
      - 1/31/2019
      Fabi Clubb

I am a recent Savvy Coders graduate and I can only say that taking this course was a great decision! I not only learned to code, but I met wonderful people. The teacher and the TAs did a great job. I am looking for a job at the moment, and even though I have already graduated, I am still getting great support from Savvy!

• A Great Choice!
      - 1/24/2019
      Jason Brown • IT Support Analyst • Graduate

I loved this class. I found taking the class through Savvy Coders to be extremely useful. I decided to make a career change and enter the world of Front End Web Development. Taking the Savvy Coders class taught me HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Before I took the class I had no knowledge of these, and after the class I was able to use them and build my own site! I would recommend this class to anyone who has ever thought about entering the world of Web Development.

• Feeling Savvy
      - 10/29/2018
      Daniel Catanzaro • Graduate

Before Savvy Coders, I had basically zero coding experience. The course starts with the basics of HTML and CSS, and then revs up the intensity with JavaScript. The teacher is incredibly knowledgeable and accommodates everyone from different learning backgrounds. The teaching assistants are always helpful and available to provide extra help, whether in person or online in the class Slack channel. The class goes beyond coding, too. They do a great job preparing you for a job, including resume and LinkedIn review, mock interviews, and preparation for  presenting your final project to potential employers. Even after the final class, they will still provide you with assistance. The class continues to grow in popularity, so the networking and job opportunities will also keep growing. In 10 weeks, I went from a complete web-development beginner to having a solid foundation on which to build.

• Allan C. • Student

I recommend this course for anyone interested in learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript. It is a little challenging but worth the effort in the end. The course teacher is very patient with beginners. After each class I left very satisfied and yearning for more.

Thank you Savvy Coders!!

• Megan Bond • Student

John's a patient instructor who takes the time to even attend local meet-ups in Chattanooga and help students outside of class.  The course was laid out well to provide a strong introduction, and it's a great introduction to coding-- economical and cost-effective.  Yay on all accounts.

• Tyler Krszjzaniek • Student

I had an excellent experience during my time with Savvy Coders. I found myself always looking forward to attending the classes, even after a full day of work at my day job. I definitely recommend enrolling in the course.

The instructor Alex was very energetic and passionate about the course material. He was able to teach a huge amount of material in a short amount of time. His sense of humor and knowledge of the languages taught always helped class engagement too.

I also thought the pacing of the course mostly great. We learned at a brisk pace, which admittedly got to be a bit overwhelming towards the end, but overall made every day a positive learning experience. Some days were definitely a brain-burner, but I enjoyed the challenge.

After finishing the course, I feel like I have a great foundation for starting my career in coding. I learned a great amout of detail and I am excited to learn even more about coding.

• Great course!
      - 5/24/2018
      JAKE P • Graduate

I just finished the 60 hour course, was very informative and the instructors are amazing.  Well worth the time and money with not only the information you learn but also all the connections. A great launching pad into the world of coding.

• Thorough
      - 1/4/2018
      Jonai • Graduate

Thanks to SavvyCoders I've learned to be confident and comfortable with coding. I was just an HTML and CSS girl. Now I can do some pretty great animations with Javascript. If your looking for a class that's immersive, and a Instructor that actually cares. I suggest Savvy Coders!

• Savvy Coder Review
      - 10/24/2017
      Keondra D. • Consultant • Graduate

Savvy Coders provided a well thought out curriculum for working individuals. The course is designed to go as fast or as slow as need. My instructor made sure everyone was up to speed before we started a new lesson and we also did weekly recaps. This course provided me the hands on experience that I did not feel I was capturing in my undergraduate program.

• Kenny • Art Director • Graduate

Awesome Presentation at a great price. Most impressed with continuing concern and tech support after this course has ended. Savvy Coders offers both knowledge and networking.

I am not a natural born coder. Was always better at geometry (HTML, CSS) than algebra (JavaScript). In fact, I had bounced out of another program already. So, I came into Savvy Coders Group with JavaScript being sort of a thing. I had since tried tons of click classes and video tutorials. Alas.

Right in the very first class, a nice small one where I could pester this friendly guy with an avalanche of questions all of which were answered, our instructor asked what we were seeking. I said “I want to learn code, but more importantly I need to learn the coding environment.” Boyo, did Savvy deliver.

What I received in this course was, ten minutes into the first class, a completely different approach to development. Following up with just tons of other useful resources, websites, tricks, insights, paradigms, and approaches (none of which any previous instructor had mentioned), these guys completely blew my mind. When I got lost they found me. Can’t say enough good things.

Teaching was robust, lean, intense, personal  and fully accessible.

I came away with, let’s call it a library of pertinent notes, screen captures and browser bookmarks. Totally set to continue study and get hired!

JavaScript is a life long journey, not something which could ever be transmitted in six weeks of after work classes. It’s application is just massive and I was tardy to the party. Savvy Coders Group has totally given me the base to build on … and I am.

• Amy P. • Graduate

I took the Savvy Coder's Intro into Web Development class in Chattanooga, TN through a local program.  This course kick start my understanding of basic web development and coding. I would recommend this class and have provided some more details about my experience below.

# What role were you performing at work when you realized you had an interest in coding?
         I had a business administration and marketing background but was unemployed and wanted to explore new avenues. I was inspired by friends who were programmers and thought I would give it a try!
      # What steps were you taking to learn more?  Online courses?
         Once I fell in love with coding, I took advantage of every possible learning resource I could find. I took online courses, followed and read programming blogs and articles, and attended developer meetups.
      # Why did you decide to take the Savvy Coders class?
         After taking my first online course on Javascript, I knew I wanted to learn more but it was difficult to know what the next step in my learning process should be. I asked myself, "How do I create something outside of the online course environment? Do I have to master HTML before I can play around with Javascript?" I had more questions than I had prior to my first online course and believed it would be beneficial to continue learning in a class environment.
      # In what ways did the Savvy Coders class meet or exceed your expectations?
         I was surprised at how much content we learned in such a short time frame. I felt confident writing and editing basic HTML and Javascript, learned how to implement this new knowledge, and was always excited for the next class.
      # What are you doing now and how did the Savvy Coders class help?
         I am the Customer Care Specialist for the software team at an intellectual property management company. The Savvy Coder's class was instrumental in bringing about this opportunity for me. The skills I learned and the dedication required to complete the course allowed me to stand out as a candidate for my new position.
      # Would you recommend the class to others?  If yes, what type of person do you think the class can help?
         I would absolutely recommend this class to others who are interested in learning coding. I know it would help anyone who wants to improve or change their career, build their own website, or just learn a new hobby!

• Warren Rawlings • Interactive designer • Graduate

Evening classes formed around work and family requirements. It starts with environment set up and goes toward setting up GIT and a firebase website. We covered Markdown, CSS, HTML, and Javascript with a big emphasis on using the command line every chance we had. Other aspects included work on Bootstrap and other frameworks to accelerate how to be a designer and programmer in a team environment. There were 20 people in the class, 15 finished, and I know about 4 people that had jobs as a result of the class including my own (maybe three).