rice-university-boot-camps-logo

Rice University Boot Camps

Houston

Rice University Boot Camps

Rice University Boot Camps offer a 12-week, full-time web development course, and 24-week, part-time, data analytics, cybersecurity, and financial technology (FinTech) programs in Houston, Texas. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5/CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, PHP, Bootstrap, React.js, Express.js, Node.js, MongoDB, MySQL, Heroku, and Git.

The data analytics curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript (D3.js, Leaflet.js), HTML/CSS, API Interactions, SQL, Tableau, Fundamental Statistics, Machine Learning, R, Git/GitHub, and more.

The cybersecurity curriculum provides hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The FinTech curriculum offers a project-based curriculum and experience with popular tools and methods such as Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Rice University Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skillset.

Students will have access to a range of career services including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion from Rice University’s Susanne M. Glasscock School of Continuing Studies. Those who complete the program will have first-hand experience in cyber and network security in our cybersecurity program or a strong portfolio of applications and projects in our coding, data analytics and fintech programs to display their proficiency.

Rice University Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent Rice University Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.75

all (4) reviews for Rice University Boot Camps →

Recent Rice University Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationHouston
      At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp, students get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
    • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationHouston
      This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
    • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Python, Excel, Machine Learning, Algorithms, Blockchain
      LocationHouston
      Get hands-on training and instruction in Financial Technology and Analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your work or college schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, only two days a week, with convenient evening and weekend hours. Students have access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
    • Full-Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
      LocationHouston
      Rice University Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.

• $500 Rice University Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Rice University Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Houston)

• Data Analytics
      - 8/6/2019
      Olutomiwa Oloyede  User Photo
      Olutomiwa Oloyede • Financial Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I came in to the course just seeking knowledge that can propel me to the next level in my career; However, I earned a whole lot more. I learned how to code, I learned how to learn and how to teach. I developed empathy and team work skills while working on projects with people from the most diverse of Backgrounds.

Two months into the course, I landed a job in a fortune 500 company and I have been able to put what I have learnt to good use. Although the pace of the course is very fast, Students need to understand that you get what you put in. The amount of sleepless nights will definitely be worth it eventually. Might I add that when I started this course I had zero coding experience apart from using Excel, but now I develop apps and systems from scratch and I have this burning desire to help people.

The instructor had a very obvious passion for teaching and imparting knowledge and a very impressive knowledge about all subject matters taught during the class.

I can confidently say that I came out of the program an all round better person I went in.

Thank you Rice Data Analytics Bootcamp

Tuesday, Aug 06 2019
      Way to go, Olutomiwa! We're happy to hear you successfully learned the fundamentals of data analytics and visualization. Like you noted, this program will require prospective learners to commit extensive hours both inside and outside of the classroom to master the material, so we commend all your hard work. Our boot camp team is passionate about enabling student success, so we're thrilled you benefited from their support and knowledge. Congratulations on graduating and landing an exciting new role! We appreciate your feedback and wish you all the best.
    • Phenomenal!
      - 7/22/2019
      Doug F Newsom  User Photo
      Doug F Newsom • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Through reading an excellent review article on the front page of the "Houston Chronicle" business section, I first learned about the Rice University Data Analytics and Visualization Boot Camp.  The number of technical skills which could be acquired in the course was very impressive.  Having this course offered at Rice University played a major factor in my final decision to enroll.

From my first day of class, the high caliber of the instructional and support staff was quite evident.  Cam Kirkland served as the lead instructor and had a real passion for teaching.  He truly wanted each student to succeed in their professional pursuits.  I will always remember his motivating words to our class,  “We’re not here to be mediocre, we are here for excellence.”

One of my favorite aspects of the course was working on real-world group projects in a collaborative environment (integrating Git/GitHub along with Slack).  Each project was extremely challenging, especially with the tight deadlines.  Without a doubt, Rice opened many doors for me while researching my group projects.  This included meetings with a professor, lawyer, city council member, movie director, and the county flood control district.

The final project presentation on the last day of class proved to be incredibly rewarding for me. The boot camp gave me the confidence to use data science terminology and methods known by professionals which has greatly enhanced my marketability.  I also developed a great comradery with my new network of fellow classmates.  If you are interested in attending Rice University for a boot camp, please give it your fullest consideration – you will not be disappointed!

Monday, Jul 22 2019
      Amazing, Doug! We're thrilled you found our instructional team to be supportive and knowledgeable—we also think Cam is pretty fantastic. We strive to provide students with as many collaborative learning opportunities as possible, so it's great to hear you enjoyed working on group projects. Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review! We are rooting you on as you move forward.
    • Chandni Alexander  User Photo
      Chandni Alexander • Application Analyst • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

One word for my experience- “Amazing”. Amazing teaching staff and amazing curriculum!

Initially I was a little skeptical about joining a bootcamp because of the intense nature of the curriculum that comes along with it. Would I be able to do it? With 2 young kids and 5-day job, will I be able to give my focus on it? I was wrong, it turned out to be just the opposite. You actually get used to the pace and the flow. I come from a healthcare industry and work with a lot of applications ranging from clinical to business and facilities. Information security is a very crucial part while implementing these systems, so I gained a lot of curiosity doing them. Being PCI, HIPAA or PHI compliant made so much more sense while at Rice University cybersecurity bootcamp. I have been applying what I learn from the sessions at my work on a daily basis. Be it creating simple Python programs to automate tasks or making sure only certain ports are opened in a firewall or checking if my web applications are vulnerable or just as simple as access management have helped me tremendously at my current workplace. You learn a lot from this bootcamp. The instructors and teaching assistants have been helping with curriculum as well as giving away general tips on perfecting yourself for the real-world scenario. My biggest suggestion for everyone doing this bootcamp is to collaborate with your co-students, it helps you brainstorm ideas, give a different perspective or outlook and can really extend your knowledge on a topic. Ask questions and don’t be afraid to do so. I am only halfway through this camp but already feel excited to get into the security side. The only thing I wish this bootcamp had was a real hacker come in to do a session to actually see how a criminal mind works and share their personal experience or the list of vulnerabilities they see that auditors don’t. Saying that, I won’t deny the fact that you learn a lot from this bootcamp from Linux administration, Burpsuite, Python programming, Metasploit, SIEM, Wireshark to much more and overall it was the best decision I made in my recent years.

Friday, Jun 28 2019
      Thank you for sharing your program experience, Chandni! We know it takes real commitment to balance life and the intensive pace of the boot camp, so we commend all the hard work you put in!
      It's great to hear you've been applying your newfound skills in your current role and found our instructional team to be supportive. Great advice for prospective students—collaborating with other classmates and asking questions can help you better understand the complex course material. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success in all your future endeavors!
    • John Hawkins

After a 20 year career in Oil and Gas, I wanted to supplement my knowledge with some Data Analytics experience.  I explored various masters programs and online learning.  I felt the master's programs were too much of a time and financial commitment for what I wanted at this time.  I discovered the Rice Analytics Boot Camp program and decided the 6 months fast-paced format would work well to achieve my goals.

The program is advertised as fast-paced and a real boot camp format.  This is very true.  At times it seems the pace is very quick and hard to keep up with.  But having said that, I think that is one of the benefits, you will be exposed to a lot of various programming, database, data visualization techniques, and platforms so this allows you to dive in where you find an interest or move on without getting bogged down in an area that is not of value to you.

My advice to anybody considering the program, make sure you can dedicate time out of class to studying and completing assignments.  The class sessions will give you enough to get started but to understand what you are doing you need to spend the time outside of the classroom to understand it.

Wednesday, Aug 28 2019
      We appreciate your review, John! We're thrilled you chose our program to make a successful career transition. Like you mentioned, this is a fast-paced course, one that will require prospective students to dedicate extensive time both during and outside of class to master the curriculum—this is great advice and we appreciate your insight. Congratulations on graduating, we're rooting you on moving forward!