mayden-academy-logo

Mayden Academy

Bath

Mayden Academy

Mayden Academy is a 16-week, full-time full-stack coding bootcamp in Bath, England. Mayden Academy is offered by Mayden, a fast-growing software development company creating cutting-edge web applications, bespoke systems, and cloud-based solutions for healthcare. The bootcamp curriculum is designed to prepare students for a junior developer role with the option of allowing students to also take individual modules at their own pace. Students will be able to learn directly from experienced professional software developers and trainers, as coursework is created in-house at Mayden. There is no coding experience required to attend Mayden Academy, and classes sizes offer an intimate learning experience with an average of 8 students. Mayden Academy is focused on attracting students with a strong work ethic and enthusiasm.

Recent Mayden Academy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (47) reviews for Mayden Academy →

Recent Mayden Academy News

• The Full Stack Track

Start Date June 15, 2020
      Cost£8,000
      LocationBath
      Students will learn the fundamentals of coding, software design and project management.
      DepositOptional £150 refundable deposit for the use of a MacBook Pro
      Interest free finance is available via EdAid. Borrow up to 100% of the course fee and pay it back only once you start earning in your new software developer role.
      ScholarshipA scholarship for financial assistance for those underrepresented in the tech industry is available.
      Prep Work5-10 hour basic introduction to programming prep course provided to all successful applicants before joining the programme.
      June 15, 2020 - Bath Apply by June 3, 2020
      July 6, 2020 - Bath Apply by June 24, 2020

• Harry Coulton  User Photo
      Harry Coulton • Full-Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      So when I read all of these reviews, I honestly thought that this place sounded like some weird cult, that people were being overly effusive, and I was interested but pretty sceptical. I was definitely wrong.

This course was one of the best experiences of my life. The teaching quality is high, the course is incredibly well thought out, and the pacing is perfect.

Before I go into more detail, I'll give you a brief outline of who I am and where I am now:

• Previously worked 'management' roles in the charity sector (read: glorified admin)
      • Terrible at maths, dyslexic, with no background in STEM subjects. My A levels were in Russian, English Lit, and Politics
      • Did modern languages at uni and was planning to be a lawyer

I decided to go into coding as I was looking for a profession which would offer the flexibility that I wanted, the modern working practices that I'd hear so much about, and (most importantly) intellectually stimulating work with continuous learning.

Now I'm a full-stack developer working at a robotics start-up, doing mostly web dev stuff but with a sprinkling of robotics programming. I earn 27k and the whole thing of doing the course was generally a great success.

Don't be put off by lacking a background in STEM, code, or anything. If you're switched on, enjoy solving problems, and like to learn, then apply. You will not regret it.

The Course:

• Fast-paced: The pace is tough. You can get away without doing homework, but my recommendation is to get your head down and work a bit in your evenings - you will get out what you put in.
      • You start with the basics, HTML and CSS. The people who turned up not knowing the basics of these struggled more than those who did. Go on freecodecamp and get to grips with the fundamentals to get a nice head start. You'll thank yourself.
      • You'll move onto some more complex principles, as you start with your first programming language: PHP. This part of the course will make you think that you're an idiot and have no place trying to be a user of computers, and that you should crawl into a little hovel and weep. That's normal, you'll get over it, and you'll be laughing about how hard you found it within a week or two.
      • You'll then move onto Javascript. You'll find this a lot easier than PHP, as you will understand the fundamentals of programming. It all gets better from here on out... as you won't do any new languages, and rather develop what knowledge you've gained.

The course is structured with 1 week's learning, and 1 week's project, on an on/off basis. It works really well and helps you to consolidate your knowledge.

By the end of the course, you won't recognise yourself. You'll be a pro coder, ready to enter the world of work!

The teachers:

• Mike: Great teacher, great guy, questionable sense of humour. If you're lucky enough to be taught by Mike then you'll be a happy bunny. Basically half man, half computer, half smiles. 1.5 of a person.
      • Charlie: Fantastic teacher, his class is good fun. You'll get on with him if you like: jokes, nintendo, jokes.
      • Ash: Probably my fave, he was in training on my course and I had the pleasure of being taught by him. Great teacher, man is an encyclopaedia of code.

My experience:

Overall, my experience was amazing. I had a great time, made some good friends, and for the first time in a long time, wanted to work hard. I actually felt a bit sad on Fridays, which is a first. I would also feel knackered. No word of a lie - you will be tired. You will work so hard, melt your brain a few times, and probably have the odd cry. That's fine and normal.

The teachers are so supportive, and they only let people in who are nice. You'll be in good hands, and I feel like it was worth more than my entire degree.

Bells and whistles:

• Professional photos for your linkedin/portfolio, etc. etc. Generally pretty useful and a great touch.
      • Scrum Master training: You'll learn to work in an agile fashion, and this experience is priceless.
      • Free toast! But don't take the piss.

My verdict: worth the money

DO IT

• Georgie  User Photo
      Georgie • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Where do I start? One of the best experiences I've ever had and in the space of 6 months I left behind an unfulfilling career in admin that I fell into accidentally and started a new career I'm genuinely excited about! On the course I looked forward to Mondays and was a bit sad on Fridays for the first time in my life.

I first heard about Mayden Academy on a Quora post Mike answered and ended up coming here to look at reviews. With so many glowing reviews I knew I was either applying to an amazing, genuinely life-changing course or a cult. I won't be able to convince you it isn't a cult so won't try but happy to add my voice to the chants of 'do this, it's the best' and 'Mike, Charlie, Ash (trainers), Margaret and Emily (operations team) are my leaders and I will do anything they say and would die for them, er...where was I?'. Anyway...

If you're asking 'is it for me'? My experience:

I applied to the academy late one night when I was off sick from my previous job with flu. My job at the time was so stressful that even with the flu I was working from home to keep on top of it. After years of being unfulfilled, simultaneously stressed, bored and underpaid for the level of work and effort I was putting in, I'd had enough. The highlight of my job at that time was when I got to use Excel. I loved continuously learning (mainly self-taught through Google) and problem-solving using it as a tool and even felt guilty for enjoying it too much, like it wasn't really work because I was having too much fun.

If any of that sounds familiar (maybe note the Excel bit, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea) - being totally fed up and bored in your work because there isn't enough problem-solving and loving to continuously learn/teach yourself new ways to use tools then becoming a developer could be a really great fit for you.

General info

The academy course is very holistic, it's not just teaching you to code but how to become a developer who is able to work well in a team in the real world. It takes you from not knowing what http stands for or what Scrum project methodology means to being ready to start an actual, real life, paid developer role in an Agile team in 16 weeks. You'll learn the technical and the non-technical skills (project management, guest lectures) both in theory (during theory weeks) and in practice (in the project weeks).

One of my favourite things about the course was the spiral learning approach where we would learn about a topic at an introductory or less complex level and then revisit it throughout the course diving deeper each time and furthering our understanding. We also learned how to do things the hard way first rather than using tools which would do everything for us which sounds like a pain but I'm really grateful for this because I think it armed me with way more understanding of what I'm doing. For example, starting writing code in textmate manually to later using a PHPStorm which can complete typing syntax for you and tell you when you're getting it wrong!

People

The trainers were excellent (I had Mike with Ash supporting) and incredibly dedicated to the students' experience and job prospects. I loved being in a small team, 8 students to 1 teacher was a perfect size for the class. Margaret (Business Development and Marketing Manager) and Emily (Office Coordinator) made everything run so smoothly - from onboarding to keeping us stocked up with toast and hot chocolate, to running events like the hiring partner evening and everything in-between. The whole team work very hard to make this this the once-in-a-lifetime experience it is.

Preparing

Before the course you'll be sent information on prep work you can do ahead of the course. I'd done a small amount (3-4 evening classes) of html and css a few years ago and did a big chunk of the suggested JavaScript prep ahead of the course which really helped. I strongly recommend doing as much of the prep as you can - it's not a pre-requisite but it really helped me not feel overwhelmed by all the information and pace of learning.

Money... :(

I didn't have savings before the course so wouldn't have been able to do it without the option of EdAid so it was fantastic to have this option. It's a no-interest loan where you pay a small % admin fee and pay back at the cost of inflation but only begin paying it back when you're working again. I was also lucky enough to be part-funded through WIDJET. The Academy has itself started a scholarship fund which aims to help people who might not otherwise be able to afford doing the course so please don't be discouraged from applying due to the cost if that's what's standing in your way, get in touch with the team to see what your options are.

During

The course is intense. I didn't have much energy outside it to do anything much more than sleep and more learning! I exaggerate a bit but it really did take 100% of me for the duration. I also found it incredibly rewarding; many days I wanted to stay later and would happily get my laptop out on the bus on my commute to cram in more practice.

16 weeks is a good length, more than that would have been too long, less than that and I wouldn't have been ready to get out there and feel confident in my skills. You don't have to learn outside of the course hours but I wanted to and it really helped me to consolidate my learning. I should add that I was commuting from across Bristol so my commute was longer than if you were to live in Bath or near to a station heading into Bath and that took its toll.

During class time ask questions. Lots and lots of questions. The trainers are really friendly and approachable and love getting questions. If you think you're the only one in the class who isn't getting something because no one is asking the question you want to ask, I guarantee you there are others thinking the exact same thing and will be grateful when you ask it so they don't have to! An interesting thing about the academy (and I would think this is universal, not just at Mayden Academy) is that many of us felt underconfident and worried we weren't good enough because we were finding the material hard. I would like to reassure people in advance: the application process is geared to ensure that if you're on the course, the trainers are confident you can do it. It's quite an unusual situation to be an adult learner on an intensive full-time course in an area where everything is so new day-in day-out. As adults we're not used to not knowing/understanding things straight away and this course puts you in that position for 16 weeks - it's ok to not be good at something straight away but it can feel very uncomfortable and make you question your abilities and bring up fears of failure but ride it out because it's a normal reaction and likely not at all reflective of your actual abilities.

After the academy

The academy don't guarantee you a job at the end of the course, however, their training is so comprehensive and of such a high standard, the network of hiring partners so big and the support given to help you with job-hunting so good, that graduates receive job offers in developer roles within three months of graduating. I won't lie - the job-hunting bit is a stressful process, I experienced a lot of imposter syndrome and worried about when I would have money coming in again - but they do try hard to support you during that. I was fortunate enough to be offered a position in my last week in the course and began my new job a couple of weeks later. I'm two weeks in now and loving it, despite the imposter syndrome rearing its head!

• Take the leap!
      - 1/10/2020
      Daniel Gardiner  User Photo
      Daniel Gardiner • Student Verified via GitHub
      I couldn’t have asked for anything more from the Mayden Academy bootcamp, I feel like the skills I’ve learnt over the past 4 months have set me up for a career as a developer

There are so many positives things to say about the course but here are just some of my highlights:

- Commitment of the trainers
      I was in Mike’s class throughout, I found Mike to be extremely knowledgeable with a real ability to explain concepts in a way which was easy to understand. He is also very patient and happy to explain things several times if needed, and was also happy to stay late to cover content 1 to 1.

Ash was also in our class providing support and delivering content, it was great having a second teacher to ask questions and he is very helpful, friendly and approachable.

I wasn’t in any of Charlie’s classes so can’t talk to his teaching skills (which I’ve heard from others is very good) but he is a very funny, energetic and positive person.

- Access to trainers and small class size
      Each class consists of 8 students which I think is the perfect ratio of students to trainers. This small size allows you to ask as many questions as you like and form a close bond with others in the class.

Class size is something which I think is really important and Mayden Academy were offering the best student to trainer ratio.

- Ways of working
      One of the most important skills I learnt on the bootcamp was how to work as a team in order to build an application. Mayden Academy arranged for us to have two days of Scrum training from an external Scrum trainer, supported us to gain scrum master certification and applied scrum principles throughout project weeks. I think this gives you a big head-start going into your first position as a developer and is something which you can’t teach yourself.

- Getting you hired
      The point of a bootcamp is to learn relevant skills so that ultimately you can secure your first position, Mayden did everything they could to support people getting a job at the end of the course including:
      o Giving us the skills to build a portfolio website
      o Spending a day discussing CVs, covering letters and what to expect from interviews
      o Reviewing CVs before sending to employers
      o Arranging for a photographer to take professional headshots
      o Introducing us to companies actively looking to recruit at a hiring partners evening

I had been thinking about changing career to become a developer for a number of years, having completed the course I just wish I had done it sooner!
    • Anton Webb  User Photo
      Anton Webb • Graduate Verified via GitHub

A great way to get into the industry. All the teachers were very patient and helpful, the entire course was really well thought out, and teaches you everything you need to know to become a full-stack developer. The various hiring partners they work with around Bath and Bristol, as well as the help they give towards re-writing your CV also facilitates the job-hunting experience. Would recommend to anyone wanting a career start / change as a software developer.

• Calum  User Photo
      Calum • Systems Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I joined Mayden Academy after extensively researching bootcamps and assessed that they provided the best emphasis on professional skills and being able to do the job from day one. Needless to say they provided that and more. Working in both the LAMP and MEAN stacks, we gained an exceptional level of knowledge in just 4 months and left with a technical capability far beyond our expectations.

Charlie and Mike foster a wonderful atmosphere at the Academy full of support and banter in equal measure while keeping everyone focused on the goal in mind. The pace is blistering but you never feel it's beyond you. The support staff were also on hand whenever you needed help, and the meet & greet with the hiring partners they organised yielded a ton of interview offers. I found my job a mere two weeks after graduating.

If you're serious about this change of career and want the best possible springboard into it, you really need to apply here.

• Josh  User Photo
      Josh • Junior Consultant Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Finishing Sixth Form and going onto the course was extremly daunting for me. Within a few days of starting I realised my worries where null and void. I was taught by Charlie, who I knew was a great guy from the second he laughed at the ASCII cows I had put into my code. All the trainers and staff are freindly and helpful, going out of their way to make sure you get the most out of the course. From hunting for jobs, reviewing and giving advice on your CV to shoving you in a pub with potential employers and booze, or letting you work on you strange coding side projects. You learn great tech and all the stuff you need to come out as a great developer, all while having a great time. If you want to learn to code like a pro and enjoy yourself all the way, you should be here.

• Best choice ever!
      - 6/10/2019
      Alessandro Corrá  User Photo
      Alessandro Corrá • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I joined Mayden Academy after 10 years spent in a non-tech industry and 1 year just only to convinced myself that was time for a career change. Now, after the course, if I could go back it won't need 1 year to decide but probably only 1 hour!

It was the best choice of my life, a necessary step to realize dreams and change my lifestyle. It wasn't easy, but thanks to the excellent competence and preparation of the instructors now I have a solid knowledge that allows me to be able to look for a highly qualified job.

And you.... what are you waiting for?!

• Highly recommended
      - 6/10/2019
      Kate Starks  User Photo
      Kate Starks • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I started Mayden Academy having never written a line of code and I now have a portfolio of projects to show off my skills. At Mayden Academy they start at the beginning and they build on what you learn week-by-week so don't let no experience of coding put you off. The learning is extremely intensive but the trainers; Mike, Charlie and Sam, alter the pace of the course to meet the needs of students - and to make sure that no-one gets left behind.

Setting the teams up as close to workplace development teams as they can gives you really good practical experience, not only in developer tools like git, but also in working together to complete the projects. You'll become a certified scrum master and get the chance to practice those skills in project week. Working in teams is great since we all brought something different to the team and could learn from each other.

Even if you have only just started considering a coding bootcamp and you aren't sure yet, sign up for one of their taster sessions to give you a sense of whether coding is for you. If you aren't sure because you don't know whether you can do it take their assessment - if you can pass that and you are deternined you will complete the course and be on your way to becoming a Full Stack Developer in 16 weeks, which is pretty incredible!

• Aldo Fiore  User Photo
      Aldo Fiore • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was a little bit skeptical with boot camps at the start. I thought that they will be just a way to make money for a company, teaching just a little bit of what you need and throwing you out to find a job. But after I attended Mayden Academy, I have to say, I am convinced!

Coming from a completely different work environment, I decided to change my life and have a more stable situation where I could build a future. After looking at what I wanted to do, I came across Mayden Academy, and I wanted to give it a try. I attended the taster session where they show you what it is that they do with a mini-game. Just after this, I was convinced to participate, as I remembered why I liked coding in high school.

The 16 weeks were one of the best time of my life. Bouncing between theory week, where our trainers were guiding us through new content, and project week, a reproduction of a real project, the time went incredibly fast and I enjoyed every moment of it. From the struggle during projects to get things done, the concepts that had to be repeated a thousand times to the morning where the trainers cooked pancakes for us. We learned a lot of industry standard, best practices and ways to solve problems that are common in companies nowadays.

Another plus point that the academy has is the fact that you around other people that want to do the same thing that you want, trying to achieve the same goal. You create awesome friendships and build a group environment that just makes it so much easier to wake up in the morning to go to "school"!

But this is just an introduction, the best part comes at the end. When we were at the end of our course, the Academy gave us full support in the job hunting process, build of our CVs and preparation of interviews. They are incredibly supportive, giving us a lot of advice on what to do when the school has finished, how to prepare for the real world and setting an example for others. Just to give an example, as part of the last few weeks of the course, they prepare a night with the hiring partners of the Academy (yes, they have hiring partners and a lot of them) and they will introduce you to each one of them, to give you practice for interviews and so on. You might end up with an interview or a job after this! A big thank you to Charlie, Mike, and Sam for everything you have done for us!

I can't stop recommending the Academy! If you want to get into coding, this is probably the best place to go. You don't need any experience, book or tool because they will provide everything for you! They will guide you during the course and then they will introduce you to the real world, ready to become a developer.

• Liliya Voevodina  User Photo
      Liliya Voevodina • Junior web application engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

It's exactly how i felt until my bot camp started - i was scared. I think, everyone from the academy have heard this story, but i repeat myself. I was seriously thinking of cancelling everything and just go back to my "comfort" zone. The idea of borrowing money for a coding course which is 4 months only looked just insane. And this website was the first i came to when i wanted to get some confidence in making my decision. I even told mysel - Liliya, this reviews can't be real, people sound just too happy, someone payed them for reviews. And i still did it. And i am now just too happy...but real :)

The course is designed perfect for those who never wrote or read a single line of code. You start with something superdifficult ad then in couple of weeks you look back and think - oh that was so easy. And in couple of months you remember your first week and simply can't believe how far you've moved. Each module contains a heavy theory which is been immediately put in a parctice. Lot's of excersises, challenges and a project weeks make you use what you've learned and learn even more. So much more. Practicing part during the entire course is what actually makes you see how you're becoming a developer. And it makes your portfolio, so when you finish the course, your CV will have plenty of beautiful projects.

You will be learning best practices and a high industry standarts. You will learn what is needed to get a job. And you will have a lot of help. A LOT! Be prepared to get some moments of frustration because coding is difficult. Make sure you ask hundreds of questions. And trust Mike,  Charlie and Sam. They just know what they do. They will make you laugh all the time but they will teach you very seriously and very confident. I was Mikes student and there's nothing he can't explain or help you with.

And there is a significant help with getting a new job. No promises, but Mayden Academy helps a lot by introducing students to nearly 30 hiring partners which know exactly what  their level is and which are ready to invest in a junior developer. I signed a contract with my new employer a week before the end of the course. And no, no one payed to me for this review, it's all real

• Matt Tapley  User Photo
      Matt Tapley • Junior Developer and 2nd Line Support • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I applied for the full-stack track at Mayden Academy after a family member had taken the course and raved about it.

Now I'd spent the last 18 odd years working in restaurants and bars, which is a very untechnical industry, and was understandably nervous about stepping into a new career so vastly different from anything I had previously known, with little to no experience of the tech world and being well beyond the age of the regular student.

But immediately after starting the course I realised I had made an excellent choice. The guys running the course are exemplary teachers with expert knowledge on a very broad curriculum.

The course in itself is geared towards training you to be an employable, productive member of a development team from the moment you start your first job.

Over the course of a very intensive, and incredibly fun 4 months, myself and the other students learnt everything from the basics, like html and css for building a simple web page, to really cool concepts with regards to programming like oop (object oriented programming) and the principles key to writing code that employers (and other developers) look for in a developer, with focus on php, javascript, their frameworks, using different types of databases, and I could go on. And on!

Another big factor in standing out is the way in which you learn during the time there. The course is split into modules consisting of theory and projects where your team works in a way that reflects how a real development team works, thus preparing you for the real world and making sure you're ready and confident once you leave the relative safety of the course and go out to write code in the wild.

On top of that Mayden is associated with a wealth of really cool hiring partners, all totally engaged in the process, and many regularly come along to project / sprint reviews to see what's been happening, which gives you a great chance of walking into a role after you graduate, from having built relationships with many of them with little or no pressure to sell yourself to a potential employer.

I loved the course most of all for the experience though. In the space of 4 months I learnt loads of incredible stuff, met some amazing people who will be friends for life, had a laugh while I was at it and was employed as a junior developer in a great company the month after graduating.

If you're thinking about getting into software or improving on already existing interest or knowledge then you won't go wrong speaking to Mayden about how they could help.

• Patrick Kenyon  User Photo
      Patrick Kenyon • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

To put it simply - I cannot recommend Mayden Academy highly enough.

Having researched various coding courses in London I was always put off by the expense of living in London, not working and paying for a course on top of this! I stumbled across Mayden Academy and of course, came here to find out more about the course. The reviews all seemed incredibly positive, almost too positive and I admit I found myself slightly skeptical. It gives me great pleasure to write a similarly positive review now - I am completely convinced!

I won't spend too much time on the course itself as that is covered on the Mayden Academy website. But what really made my 16-week experience so valuable was the: staff, building and job support.

Let's start with the most important thing (in my opinion), the staff. Whilst I was there Mayden Academy had two trainers, Mike and Charlie. My trainer was Mike and he has the knowledge, patience, and ability to make complex concepts understandably that sets apart good teachers. He fostered a relaxed yet focused working environment. Quite apart from this Mike, Charlie and Margaret (the Marketing Manager) were good, friendly people that are a pleasure to be around. An important quality for a 16-week intensive course...

The course takes place in the most incredible Bath townhouse (it must be five floors). It's the nicest place I have worked and will work in future in all probability. The training rooms are in the basement, but it's a very nice environment and opens straight out onto the beautiful garden and you are spoiled by sweeping views of Bath. For all you cyclists out there, there is a secure place to put your bike, a very decent shower, lots of storage for gear and a place to dry wet clothes in the basement. What a bonus!

Mike has been working in tech in the South West for many years and has established excellent connections with tech companies in Bath and Bristol. The Academy itself has a number of hiring partners who come and watch your progress during the two weekly sprint reviews. This is an excellent opportunity to get to know potential employers and for them to get to know you, take it seriously. Mayden Academy also organizes an evening to meet the hiring partners which was another useful opportunity to network. The last few weeks of the course are interspersed with job applications and interviews. Mike is continually posting relevant job opportunities so that by the end of the course 6/7 of the 15 students had confirmed job offers.

Take the Full Stack Track! If you apply yourself and take it seriously you will come out a very employable junior developer.

• Kyam Harris  User Photo
      Kyam Harris • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Mayden Academy teach you (among many other things) how to use HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and MySQL to a high standard. But much more importantly than that, they will teach you how to use these skills in a professional environment, preparing you to work in a real development team.

You will undertake a three-day course on Scrum methodology, which may be a bit alien to anyone from a non-dev background, but it gives you a great insight into some key aspects of programming and developing products in a team. Also, every block of 'theory' has a corresponding week of 'project', which will ensure that you cement in the skills you have learned by utilising them in a real world project - you'll end up making a game, an e-commerce store and a personal portfolio page to show off all of your projects.

The course does go at a brisk pace, and it may well need some hard work reading your notes or working on solo projects to really bed-in the ideas and concepts that get taught. However, the pace that both Mike and Charlie take throughout the whole course is realistic and it is truly possible to start this course without any programming knowledge at all. I would stress that in order to get the most out of the course to follow the pre-joining instructions and complete the online courses that they recommend - knowing the basics will ensure that you can reserve energy for the really hard-to-grasp concepts.

I joined the course after leaving a job in Retail, and accepted a job offer on the last day of the course. I had always written off my chances of being a developer because I lack both a degree and a technical background, but my experience is that taking a course like Mayden Academy can ensure that neither of these is an issue.

Other than preparing you for a role as a developer, Mayden Academy also help you with actually getting a job - this is done with a CV and interview prep session, professional advice on how to improve the design of your portfolio site, as well as a meet & greet evening with their ever-growing list of hiring-partners (18 at time of writing).

Going from beginner to professional-level as a programmer on your own is entirely possible, but without the expertise, knowledge and tutoring of Mike and Charlie this would have taken me many years, as opposed to the four months of the course. Taking the time to do an intensive course like this is, for me, the most time-efficient way of getting yourself those skills and that job

• Robbie  User Photo
      Robbie • Software developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This is an intensive course that will definitely require work in your own time. It's tiring but worth it. Make the most of each weekend to get plenty of rest...

It focuses on what businesses look for - practical hands on experience that's relevant to employment. The skills learned build on each other so projects get gradually more advanced during the course. It's great to be able to look back over what we built and see the dramatic advancement.

I couldn't have asked for more supportive and patient trainers. Very encouraging of questions and taking the time to make sure everyone has a good understanding of each topic.

I particularly liked the alternating approach of a week of theory followed by a week of putting it into practice working on a project. The projects really helped me identify things I didn't yet understand fully from the previous week, and embedded the theory more firmly.

I am very impressed with such a well chosen group of students - varied skills and interests but all very capable and all worked really well together. I thoroughly enjoyed collaborating with them, and we're likely to meet up and collaborate on one off Saturday projects in future. The excellent judgement in choosing students stands out as one of the most important aspects to me.

The knowledge and experience gained (particularly working as part of a team) gave me much increased confidence which really helped in applying for a job.

If you're wondering whether this is for you, this is what I would say based on my personal experience: Given enough time, it's perfectly possible to learn software development by teaching yourself at home, but learning with feedback from someone who knows what is important is so much faster and will avoid years studying things you just don't need. Also, half the knowledge is how to develop software effectively with a team in person, which you don't get from learning at home. I also learned just how much more can be done with a deadline to work to...

• Vasile Cojusco  User Photo
      Vasile Cojusco • FrontEnd developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

About teachers:

Mike and Charlie are really great and supportive, every time anyone stuck or can't understand something Mike or Charlie explain in a very simple way so you can understand not just repeat.
      The material is great and the course is quite balanced, so you never feel missed somewhere behind. This course can help you to become a full stack, but for me, I think we spent more time on Backend part, anyway, a month before I found a job as a Frontend developer.

Originally I am from Ukraine and moved to Bath for this course. And it was very important not just get new skills, but be supported by people when I am settling, and I got the best support that I haven't expected. All people from Mayden are team players and very supportive, and I really appreciate it.

Recommendations:

If you want to take advantage of this course(actually it is true for any course) you should be prepared. Learn HTML, CSS, JS, and some PHP depends on who you want to be.  Take Freecodecamp, Codecadamy etc. try to build some simple projects(freecodecamp can help you with it) so when you will be in academy all your knowledge become structured and expands drastically. As I mentioned above,  I found the job a month before the course was ended, but it just because I have started my job hunting in the middle of the course(in the end of the second month). Don't be scared of it as it cost you nothing, but it helps you to be hired immediately.

I definitely recommend this school to everyone.

• A Zend Affair
      - 2/6/2017
      Fred  User Photo
      Fred • Placement Student • Student Verified via LinkedIn

To be short and snappy: I gained my ZCE qualification!

In just 5 days, Mike was able to deliver a huge amount of content covering most parts of the PHP knowledge required for the ZCE exam which I had taken in the following week, which was considered rather daunting as the PHP codebase is rather large. I was also able to tackle a practice exam as part of this module in preparation for the main exam to get a feel for what sort of questions could come up and how to answer them. Having completed this, I now feel much more confident in my ability to work with PHP as part of my placement year here at Mayden as a software developer. The ZCE qualification is an invaluable addition to my CV and should help me on as I begin a career after completing my degree at University following this year.

• Jen  User Photo
      Jen • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Long story short:

Despite being a recent graduate with a degree in Computing and IT, I didn’t feel at all prepared for my new career as a web developer.  After just a few short weeks in Mayden Academy, my PHP knowledge went from negligible to good enough to pass the Zend Certified PHP Engineer (ZCE) exam; by all accounts not an easy exam to pass.

After graduating from the Academy I was able to join my new team with a lot more confidence and the knowledge to contribute right from the start.

The less short story:

I joined Mayden Academy for the PHP, MVC & Frameworks and ZCE prep modules. I had a fantastic time and wish I had been able to do the whole course!

Each module was structured in two parts. First you’d learn theory and syntax, interspersed with practical exercises and talks from real developers. What struck me most was how relevant the course is; the materials evolve as technologies and the industry do. After a degree full of outdated materials, this was really refreshing! The insight from real developers was great too, you’d hear lots of anecdotal stories about how you can do X, Y, Z but in reality, most people just do A!

In the second week you’d work on a small team project, applying what you’d learnt over the previous week and prior modules. The great thing about this is that you would get to use tools such as Git, and would use an Agile methodology, so you weren’t just learning to code but all these other practical skills that go hand in hand with the reality of being a developer.

The whole culture of the Academy really suited me. Mike, the instructor, is really approachable and there was time each morning to reflect on what we’d learnt the previous day and to ask questions once we’d had the time to digest everything we’d heard. The other students were really enthusiastic and supportive.  Despite quite a diverse group of ages and backgrounds, you could just tell everyone wanted to be there and was passionate about their learning.

• Lucia V  User Photo
      Lucia V • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Why I chose this course: I dropped out of school without A-levels because I didn't think it could provide any more value to my future. I wanted to learn relevant job skills, fast, so that I could crack on with life and get a job I love. I wanted to be challenged, taught a lot to a high standard, with support for the "I don't get this at all" moments.
      The company that set up the Academy have very high internal standards and started Mayden Academy because they and the UK more developers, with the hope that the graduates would be as good as, or better than, the computer science university graduates that they employ as entry-level developers.
      Having met the instructors (real, current developers, not someone with theoretical or outdated knowledge) and discussed the pace of learning and the reasoning behind the course content I knew I would be set in good stead for a career from this course. After all, it was as important to Mayden Academy that I be a good developer as it is to me.

What the experience was like:
      - Conten and Delivery: As well as how to build and structure things, the content included knowledge on current best practices, why things work the way they do, a history of the internet and each of the languages as we covered them, brief introductions to old practices we might come across in the future and why we no longer use them, specialist guest lectures and discussions on modern tools we weren't using in the course (for lack of time or need). Mike gave balanced overviews of each topic and taught us how to figure things out on our own, too.
      - Tools: A special mention goes to the fact that all the tools provided were very good, we learnt to use them very effectively for a fast, personalised workflow.
      - Pace and Support: At one point Mike rewrote an entire lesson for us overnight when we didn't get it the first time. He always offered extra support on an individual or team level and continually responded to any feedback we gave him. He also helped me revise for our ZCE exam, gave us all advice when we acted as scrum masters, gave us career advice and at one point helped me solve with some interpersonal issues. Additionally the other developers in the building were always willing to help, they even helped us discover what we loved by teaching us more about their jobs. The nature of the scrum team also meant that we supported each other, we all wanted to help each other move towards our goal of becoming an excellent developer.
      - Atmosphere: We had been working in our team in the same way the developer teams around us worked, producing real work that was being submitted to the real world. I grew really close to my team and made great friends with the developers in the building. We came out feeling like software developers.

What I got out of it: In writing? I'm a certified scrum master and a zend certified engineer, which helps demonstrate the standard of my education. The experience I've gained in not just writing code but being a software developer shows through in the technical decisions I make and how I approach new problems, this has been invaluable in interviews.
      I'm now a scrum-master-slash-developer, I currently work in Typescript using the OOP structures I learnt on PHP. I keep learning every day and I'm a valuable resource to my company, providing robust applications and informed opinions.

TL;DR: I'm now a successful developer and scrum master, working effectively in a different language to the one I trained in, using the knowledge from the course daily. I loved the course, every minute of it, it was incredibly valuable to me. But I did get turned down from my first interview for being overqualified...

• Aimée  User Photo
      Aimée • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had an excellent experience at Mayden Academy and would heartily recommend it to anyone wanting to jump start a career in software development.

The course is equally divided between theoretical learning and practical projects, so that you get a good mix of real development experience, working as a scrum team to write entire applications to requirements and deadlines, along with a strong theoretical background to programming which can be transferred to other languages.

The curriculum is really relevant and engaging, and the academy instructor and guest lecturers tailor their teaching to your learning style, so it's also a very dynamic program. After trying to self-teach various programming languages over the last few years and struggling to get further than the very basics, I found that being taught in person by instructors with a wealth of experience is the best way to learn, and it definitely helps that everyone is really friendly!

You'll learn more in 16 weeks than you'll imagine is possible, and meet some amazing people along the way!

• Do this course!
      - 1/9/2020
      Charlotte • Graduate

Last year I wanted to change career to become a software developer.  I needed to make that change quickly to minimise my time not earning. My friend recommended this course, so I read the reviews (all absolutely justified) and booked my place on a taster session. I loved the atmosphere that evening: positive, enabling and inclusive.  I started going to tech meet ups in Bath and Bristol, applied for the course and had a wonderful 4 months in Autumn 2019 learning (and playing) at Mayden Academy.  There is tons of support for finding a job and I've been working as a software dev for 4 whole days now: ridiculously exciting! The way the course project weeks are organised is incredibly helpful for the real world and the content is up to date and relevant. Most importantly, the trainers and support staff at Mayden Academy are open-hearted compassionate people who understand what it's like to start from scratch: the support is amazing from them and from the other students. It's life-changing, do it!

• Georgia Connell-Bass • Junior Consultant and Engineer • Graduate

My Coding Experience Prior to the course:

Knew I liked coding for several years but didn't have much experience prior to the course apart from a few bits and pieces with Fortran at uni, Swift and very basic HTML and CSS.

Content:

There is a great balance between keeping up with the latest technologies and developments in the industry and teaching content that incorporates the fundamental aspects of programming that can be universally applied across different languages and frameworks. We were taught coding best practices: code reviews, unit testing, properly documenting our code and backing it up regularly on github. We got to work as a team and individually, on brand new and legacy projects.

Class Size:

There were 2 different classes in my cohort that ran in parallel. Max size 8 people per class up until the point where you can choose your track in week 14 after which my class was 9 so it still stayed pretty balanced numbers wise. The small class size definitely contributed hugely to my learning, you get a lot of 1-1 time with the trainers which was brilliant for clarifying things we'd just learnt or getting some help with a difficult exercise. I think I would have begun to struggle in a larger group of 12 or more.

The Teachers:

I was lucky to get the chance to learn from all the trainers at Mayden who did their best to make us feel welcome and included, accommodating their classroom and teaching style for students different learning needs.

Mike was my trainer for the majority of the course. He taught me not just how to code but how to write code that is good quality, concise and secure. He consistently went above and beyond for his students, sometimes staying late so we could work on our portfolios, giving people help with CV writing, always being approachable for advice or if we had any problems.

It was great to have Ashley around while he completed his teacher training, he brought a different perspective to problems and was a patient teacher, I think he will fly with his first cohort! :)

I took Charlie’s track for the final two weeks: Charlie is very fun and full of energy, he has a very practical approach to teaching which suited my learning style, the track was very exercise based and felt a lot closer to project weeks but with a bit more structure and guidance.

Classmates:

These people really made the experience amazing! Mayden Academy are very good at putting together a team of people that work well together and get on. I made some great friends from the course and I think we all learnt a lot from each other, everyone has a unique approach to solving a problem or a quicker, neater, more interesting way to write code. We did a lot of pair-programming on the course and I found it invaluable it helped to improve my standards and got me to think problems through and be able to explain my process to another person.

Skills aside from coding:

I felt like the course at Mayden Academy simulated what working in the industry is actually like. We pair-programmed, code reviewed each other’s work, learnt the ins and outs of Git and Github for backing up work, we planned projects from start to finish holding each other accountable for our mistakes and for our achievements, we rallied together and supported each other, it was awesome being a part of such a great team! We learnt Scrum, an organisational framework which is used throughout the industry (not everywhere but a lot of places use it or a variation of it) to estimate the speed at which a team can work through projects and breaking down projects into smaller more manageable chunks of tasks. The had daily quizzes and bi-weekly tests (just for your own reference) that helped us gauge how much of the content we had grasped and what we needed to go over. We had a daily meeting as part of Scrum which meant we were always checking in with each other about how everyone’s learning was going and how each project was progressing. These skills have put me in great stead for a job in the industry.

Career Support:

A full day dedicated to interview skills, CV and cover letter writing as well as ongoing support with job applications for the duration and even following the course. I even got some advice with writing introduction emails as it’s a huge blocker for me and I generally put it off so much the vacancy has been filled by the time I actually apply!

The hiring event they put on was initially nerve wracking but ultimately exactly what I needed, it was great to just be able to chat face to face with representatives from really great local companies without the communication barrier of phone calls and email conversations and without the intense pressure of an interview situation. I think we all benefited from this stepping stone into the world of technical interviews and I think personally I owe this networking evening to the job I have now.

Attending with a Partner:

My partner and I took the course together, although we were in separate classes on the prior request of the teachers (this is for several reasons but the one that resonated with me most was that you then get to bond with your teammates better and have your own individual experience of the course). So in my cohort there were 2 classes of 8 and we attended in parallel. It was a great getting to share the experience with one another, we learn it quite different ways so we could help when the other one was struggling and we could talk though a problem together. Both of us have come to coding from different industries so it is nice to be able to share that understanding with each other now as we start our new careers. It was difficult financially choosing to attend together and we had to rely on savings as well as loans from family and friends to see us though so I would definitely consider that aspect as well before jumping in. But it was very worth it in the end :)

• Marc GR • Graduate

For anyone with an interest in software design and programming, this is the course for you. I started the course with little experience, a keen interest in technology and the motivation to jump into something new.

From day 1, all the students were welcomed and fully supported in the journey to become software developers, from learning the basics of website creation through HTML & CSS, to writing complex Full-Stack applications using PHP & JavaScript frameworks and libraries. The course structure is fantastic, with one week of learning followed by one week of project work. It's a great way to learn the processes involved in software development and build a great portfolio to display your work. Towards the end of the course, we were given a crash course in the job application process, including CV writing help and interview prep, with support being given at every stage when applying for jobs.

I spent the majority of the course being taught by Charlie, who was engaging, knowledgable and would also go that extra mile to make sure the content was interesting and well understood. While the pace of learning is fast, the content is constantly reinforced so that by everything you learnt a week or two before becomes second nature. Over the duration of the course, I found great support in my fellow students and the fantastic team spirit we developed along the way enabled us to end up learning a lot from each other.

If you want to wake up every morning and be excited to learn something new, be surrounded by amazing people and create fantastic opportunities for yourself, Mayden Academy is for you!

• Excellent
      - 12/16/2019
      James T • Graduate

I have finished the full stack course 2 days ago and it was excellent. I have never leant so much in such so quickly. Considering how technical and sometimes complicated the concepts involved are this is testament to how good the trainers are. They all know their stuff and have relevant professional experience and know how to explain it to anybody who will listen.

It felt like a big step and a big risk commiting to the course but now that it is over I do not regret it for a second. I am looking forward to moving into a job that would have been completely out of reach before I attended Mayden and with the help that they give you preparing and looking for work I am sure that it won't be long seeing as many of my classmates had a job offer before they had even finnished. I am looking for jobs in Cardiff which is outside of their usual sphere but the trainers are very knowledgable and able to help.

I cannot recomend this course enough. You will learn things every day that you would not even think to teach yourself and meet some great people along the way.

Mayden Academy has an acceptance rate of 32%, of which 82% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Mayden Academy, 100% graduate. 100% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $24,000.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Salaries in British Pounds, not USD