lambda-school-logo

Lambda School

Lambda School

Lambda School is an online coding bootcamp that teaches both a full-time, 9-month program and a part-time, 18-month program. This immersive online school is dedicated to teaching the most cutting-edge and in-demand technologies focused around JavaScript. Students will learn front end, back end, mobile, and neural network technologies. Their online classroom experience is the same as any physical classroom, live students, live instructors, full interaction, pair programming, and frequent code reviews. Their online, immersive format allows you to be connected to instructors at all times, chat with other students, or have someone instantly jump in to see your code.

Before starting a full-time course, applicants must complete a 2-week free intro course to learn the basics. After passing some test assignments, applicants are invited for an interview with a school representative.

Lambda School is committed to helping students find employment by providing interview preparation, portfolio review, effective resume writing tips, and salary negotiation practice. Lambda School offers an Income Sharing Agreement where students start paying for the program after they find a job.

Recent Lambda School Reviews: Rating 4.35

all (89) reviews for Lambda School →

Recent Lambda School News

Read all (44) articles about Lambda School →
  • Data Science

With 26% annual growth, Data Science continues to top emerging job lists year after year. Building on centuries of statistics and mathematics, Data Science uses computational techniques to help the most innovative companies in the world scale. From self-driving cars to dynamic business insights for Fortune 500 Companies, Data Science is changing the world. If you enjoy mathematics and love using data to make decisions, a career in data science could be for you. Lambda School's Data Science program is an intensive online training for a career in applied statistics and machine learning. Our curriculum covers the following topics and more: - Python - SQL - Data Visualization - Machine Learning - Linear Algebra - Databases - Statistics & Modeling - Natural Language Processing
    Deposit$0 down (No deposit, no down payment)
    Tuition PlansNo upfront payment required. Pay 17% of your income for 24 months (up to $30K) after getting a job making at least $50,000.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Python and algebra
    Prep WorkPre-course work will be sent after acceptance to the program
  • Full Stack Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python
    As a developer, you get to be the person that translates your passion into a functional website or web application to share with the world. A rapidly changing technological landscape means the industry continues to grow quickly, and is expected to grow by at least 13% in the next decade, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While many of those jobs are located in major tech hubs like San Francisco and New York City, the widespread need for developers across all industries means there’s likely a job waiting for you wherever you want to live. And if you’ve got persistence, grit, curiosity, and a brain that likes to solve puzzles, full stack web development could be the career for you. Lambda School's Full Stack Web Development is an immersive, online program to prepare you for a successful career in web development that teaches: - JavaScript - HTML - CSS - Node - React - Python - Redux - SQL
    Deposit$0 down (no deposit, no down payment).
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic JavaScript
    Prep WorkPre-course work is sent after acceptance to the program
  • Look elsewhere
    - 2/26/2019
    Anonymous • Applicant

I couldn't even get through the admissions process. I suppose no reply within 4 business days means I didn't make the cut. It's been 2 weeks and no word from Karen. I sent her a screenshot of my Web Dev application which lists my email address, but I guess she still couldn't find it. She didn't know the email address that I listed on my application was a short domain email address despite the fact that she was still able to email me and I was replying. I also hadn't entered my full name thinking I could just fill it in later, but to my surprise, there isn't an edit button for the application. I guess they want to re-submit your application should you need to edit something. You can only view your application. Easy fix for a bootcamp, no?

Anyway, that's really all I can say about it. It's fine though since I was getting cold feet from the bad reviews in the midst of all the good reviews. Many of the glowing reviews are from people who have experience in the field already. That isn't to say there aren't any newbie reviews, just not as many.

Lastly and more importantly are the numbers - 17% capped at $30k is steep. No thanks, but thanks for not getting back to me. Dodged a hole in my pocket.

• Anonymous • Web Developer • Graduate
    I would highly recommend Lambda School to anyone who is looking to further their education and personal skills while also getting a job in the field of software development. I graduated in mid-2018 and the curriculum was still in flux. Some bits were a little rough but overall it was a fantastic experience. They are very keen to adapt to student needs and trends in the industry. I even saw a few critical pivots happen within a week after my cohort voiced their concerns. Most of the instructors are very knowledgeable about their subject matter and are available if need be. If you ever have any questions, I would highly suggest reaching out to some of their students on Linkedin.
  • Perfect Experience!
    - 12/22/2018

I started Lambda School in April of 2018 after much deliberation about whether an online school provided the same quality education as one in person. On the surface, it seemed like Lambda School was too good to be true: free until you get a job, world class instructors, ability to get in touch with your instructors at any time. I just graduated a few days ago, and Lambda has delivered on every part of what I signed up with. The instructors were amazing; if I ever had a question about something they were very eager to help (I once had a problem and an instructor spent 2 hours with me to troubleshoot), everyone is extremely nice here and everything is very transparent. I’m so thankful that I chose Lambda when I started. One of the things that I didn’t think about was how important a career coach is after you’re done with instructions. My career coach was able to help me every step of the way and was easily one of the biggest highlights of my Lambda experience.

• Drink the kool-aid
    - 10/5/2018
    Anonymous • acertainherbalist@gmail.com • Student

I joined Lambda School with Project Manager Experience and a professional background of working with developers for a number of years. I am a millenial with a college degree who was looking to bridge over to programming and development.

I find that lambda school's Full stack web program started off very cheery and promising but quickly fell short as soon as the first month was over. It immediately became apparent that they only cared about getting you job ready for maybe a very rigid corporate environment and focused much more on things like doing a code challenge everyday, reviewing your peers code even if everyone has identical code and asking your pm for help- even if they often dont provide any help. They focused less on making sure that you actually understood course material by providing adequate resources to help you understand whats wrong with your code and more on job prep fluff. TLDR: It became a teach yourself, while they put time constraints and focused on fluff to get their ROI.

In the end you are paying Lambda 20-30k for these 6 months. While I dont think they are total cons, im glad my github repo has expanded as much as it had. I do think there are some fundamental issues in their structure of hiring students as section leaders and PMs (glorified term for a T.A.) when they themselves barely know the content to teach students who will then be hired to do the same. a lack of knowledge or curriculum changes perpetuates this knowledge gap through generations of cohorts. like their React program for example.

They also dont seem to take feedback very well and have shut me down many times just for the sake of winning an argument so it seems, perhaps because they cant withstand any negative press atm. I complained about having been switched around group to group 6 times in 4 months, they agreed it was a mistake they overlooked but it continued even when I approached the SL to rectify the issue. Despite being exposed to so many PMs i can say there have only been three or four at the most who i can say know what they are talking about. Basically any student who comes to lambda with previous programming knowledge is better off than those who have none. and those students who have programming knowledge from the start end up being better PMs. Lambda rides on the success and knowledge of the students prior to any value added by them. it is quite the circus.

So do be advised that in time there will be better options in ISA's and education than Lambda provides

• Love Lambda!
    - 9/9/2018

I went to Lambda School something like 7 months after they launched (They were only live for 7 months!!!).

Of course, I experienced a lot of the growing pains that come with being an early user of a brand new startup (hence the 4 stars I gave for the curriculum, I had to keep it honest). Some parts weren't very organized, some material wasn't well explained, etc... etc...

But the transformation from month 1 to month 7 was m-i-n-d-b-l-o-w-i-n-g. Night and day.

And here's the thing, they're not done evolving!
    I was on the 7th cohort. Right now they're working with the 15th cohort.

Each one gets better, and better, and better. I'm sure by now they have a 5-star curriculum. (If I were you, I'd jump in quickly before they become harder to get into than Harvard 😜)

And their job support is AMAZING. My friends and I each got EXACTLY what we wanted.

- One friend of mine wanted a job where he made exactly $80k a year, and he got it.
    - Another friend of mine wanted a remote job so he could keep traveling, and he got it.
    - I wanted to work for a real Silicon Valley startup, and I got it.

There are hundreds of stories like these at Lambda. They really are that amazing.