lambda-school-logo

Lambda School

Lambda School

Lambda School is an online coding bootcamp that teaches both a full-time, 9-month program and a part-time, 18-month program. This immersive online school is dedicated to teaching the most cutting-edge and in-demand technologies focused around JavaScript. Students will learn front end, back end, mobile, and neural network technologies. Their online classroom experience is the same as any physical classroom, live students, live instructors, full interaction, pair programming, and frequent code reviews. Their online, immersive format allows you to be connected to instructors at all times, chat with other students, or have someone instantly jump in to see your code.

Before starting a full-time course, applicants must complete a 2-week free intro course to learn the basics. After passing some test assignments, applicants are invited for an interview with a school representative.

Lambda School is committed to helping students find employment by providing interview preparation, portfolio review, effective resume writing tips, and salary negotiation practice. Lambda School offers an Income Sharing Agreement where students start paying for the program after they find a job.

Recent Lambda School Reviews: Rating 4.43

all (87) reviews for Lambda School →

Recent Lambda School News

Read all (43) articles about Lambda School →
  • Data Science

With 26% annual growth, Data Science continues to top emerging job lists year after year. Building on centuries of statistics and mathematics, Data Science uses computational techniques to help the most innovative companies in the world scale. From self-driving cars to dynamic business insights for Fortune 500 Companies, Data Science is changing the world. If you enjoy mathematics and love using data to make decisions, a career in data science could be for you. Lambda School's Data Science program is an intensive online training for a career in applied statistics and machine learning. Our curriculum covers the following topics and more: - Python - SQL - Data Visualization - Machine Learning - Linear Algebra - Databases - Statistics & Modeling - Natural Language Processing
    Deposit$0 down (No deposit, no down payment)
    Tuition PlansNo upfront payment required. Pay 17% of your income for 24 months (up to $30K) after getting a job making at least $50,000.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Python and algebra
    Prep WorkPre-course work will be sent after acceptance to the program
  • Full Stack Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python
    As a developer, you get to be the person that translates your passion into a functional website or web application to share with the world. A rapidly changing technological landscape means the industry continues to grow quickly, and is expected to grow by at least 13% in the next decade, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While many of those jobs are located in major tech hubs like San Francisco and New York City, the widespread need for developers across all industries means there’s likely a job waiting for you wherever you want to live. And if you’ve got persistence, grit, curiosity, and a brain that likes to solve puzzles, full stack web development could be the career for you. Lambda School's Full Stack Web Development is an immersive, online program to prepare you for a successful career in web development that teaches: - JavaScript - HTML - CSS - Node - React - Python - Redux - SQL
    Deposit$0 down (no deposit, no down payment).
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic JavaScript
    Prep WorkPre-course work is sent after acceptance to the program
  • Michael Dennis • Software Engineer • Graduate

Often in the software development and engineering field, I have found it important to find resources that allow me to become a better developer. I have often looked for the right education platform that worked at the pace I do. High volume is important to retention, the more you do it the more you learn, at least that is what I believe. Lambda School goes through an intense course of learning that even an experienced developer can appreciate. It take many years to get great, Lambda School can help you push your limits and teach you the skills you will need to know to be able to develop efficient well thought out applications using some of today's more popular languages and frameworks.

• great school
    - 5/3/2018
    Mark Oliver • Graduate

Greate teachers and students, as students we all help each other.

• Jiovan Melendez • Graduate

Lambda has its perks:

• $0 to start
    • Take classes from anywhere
    • Learn from elite instructors

For me, the last point was most important. I wanted to learn the equivalent of the four semesters in a quality computer science undergrad program in just two semesters. Lambda provided that for me and has opened many doors for me in my career.

5 stars!

• RonaldG • Full Stack Developer • Student

The fact that Lambda presents an opportunity to people who other wise would not have this type of option says a lot for what type of company it is. There is no hidden rules, hidden fees, "whats the catches" or anything of that sort. It is pure opportunity. If you want to be a better programmer they will make that happen. With anything else in life it is still about how much you put in. There is no magic wand to automatically make you amazing at development. but there is a school with instructors who spend an insane amount of hours to make it as easy as possible for you. I have gotten quite a few job offers and they started coming well before I graduated as I have not even graduated yet. The full stack side is amazing and throws you in the deep end but also throws you a float to make sure you don't drown. The instructors are amazing and it is literally the best thing I have done. I am able to talk to anyone with questions or etc about the school.

• Teri Wilkins • Senior Software Engineer • Graduate

OK, so I don't want this to just be a rant and rave about the other bootcamp I attended (and paid $10,000 for), but Lambda School was seriously 1,000,000 times better.

The instructors were experts and very approachable. In the other program I couldn't even talk to instructors.

Luis was awesome, Ryan was helpful, Sean was great if not a little standoffish, and Beej and Aaron are clearly incredibly smart.

I had help instantly whenever I needed it.

The curriculum was hard, but much more in depth.

When I talk to students form other bootcamps I'm blown away by how little they know compared to how much Lambda School students do. Maybe it's that other bootcamps are all that bad, maybe it's that Lambda School's extra time and curriculum makes a huge difference, but I see Lambda School students graduating and getting jobs within days.

It's not perfect, of course, there were some communication issues around scheduling, but all in all it was a phenomenal experience, and one that I can't recommend enough.

As for my job search, I got a couple of offers quickly, but I'm still on the lookout, because I didn't love either of those comapnies.

• Review
    - 8/11/2017
    Angelia • Freelance Developer • Graduate

I took the web development mini-bootcamp and the part time full stack web development course. It was tough in the beginning but I was highly motivated by the end of the course. It was the first time I worked so hard and invested time and money. But, it was all worth in the end. The teachers were always available to me, and really supportive throughout the process. I had a great time going through the course.

• Decent Experience
    - 8/11/2017
    Ethan Robinson • Web Developer

I didn’t have any experience in programming or advanced computing whatsoever. And, my sole intention in joining lambdaschool was to become a programmer and get a job. I did not research anything about the bootcamps, and joined lambdaschool because it was online and cost effective.

Now, I am glad that I joined lambdaschool but I immediately regretted after the first class. It was way too fast for me. And, I think almost all of the coding bootcamps are paced like that to cover everything in three months. Anyone who has no background in programming is going to have hard time going into these courses, and lambdaschool is no different. Don’t be afraid to ask, instructors are amazing. They will answer anything and repeat any time you want.

I eventually caught up, but I had to work a lot to barely catch up. But, I am glad that I was able to catch up and thankful for wonderful instructors who helped me, and Austen for the support.

• Boomer • Graduate

I have been an anti-bootcamp person for a while.  (I have a fair share of friends that have taken them and came out not much better than they went in).  I was doing the normal FCC/Udemy courses and just not making it anywhere.  Have a problem?  Go google it and have a sparatic understanding of the question or get little to no answer at all and just randomly copy and past stackoverflow posts until your tests pass or code does what you want.  This is the overwhelming issue with self learning or these "pre recorded" video courses wether they are on Udemy, MOOC's, Udacity and even some of the expensive online bootcamps are just recordings being played back for you.

Then comes Lambda School, I took their free mini javascript bootcamp and was pretty impressed with the content.  Then they let us know about the upcoming Bootcamp and I was kind of interested and kind of not cuz it's still a relatively expensive bootcamp (I took the PT bootcamp as I have a full time job) but figured i'd fill out the form and see what they said/emailed/talked about.  Got a phone call from Austen and it wasn't just "Hey, do you have X amount of money??.  You do?  Awesome you are in the bootcamp".  We talked and he asked why I was interested, what my previous experience was, how the mini camp series was.  They actually made sure I was a good fit for the bootcamp they aren't just cashing checks and spitting students through the course.  I signed up and they gave me pre course work to be ready for the course 3 weeks later.

I took the PT bootcamp so it was mon - thur 6pm - 9pm and sat 9am - 6pm   I only bring this in because when i'm talking about what was being taught at the different stages it will vary if you do the FT or PT stuff.

Now I have no personal experience with any other bootcamp but from what my friends have told me/complained about with other bootcamps I knew I made a good choice right out of the gates.  We started with Data Structures, Hash Tables, Linked Lists, Graphs, Binary Trees and lookups.  Now this was tough and really challenged my brain but these were things that my friends were being asked about in their interviews and had no knowledge of from their $15k bootcamps.  Immediately i'm thinking awesome this is a great start.  Then we start ramping up and going over how to use these data structures, manipulate and do various other things that we will need through out the course.  The other amazing thing was there were coding challanges at the beginning of every class.  Really helped to drive home the ideas from the first week (as you can't learn all of that stuff and remember it from just a week or 2).  Then we go over React and the basics, followed with Routing and then we dive into Redux and Redux-thunk.  Now this in my opinion was almost worth the whole admission amount in and of itself.  I could not wrap my head around Redux or Redux-thunk.  I have had this same problem before and no course, article or anything else really cleared it up for me.  Since these are live classes not pre recorded I DM'd Ben and we got on a google hangout and we took 15 mins, LITERALLY 15 mins and I was able to ask direct questions and get direct answer and I was able to wrap my head around how to layout the actions, reducers and store which was HUGE.  Not waisting a day or 2 trying to tie multiple articles together to try and usually only gain an entry level understanding if that, was SOOOOOO amazing and SOOOOO worth it to just ask and be taught.  Along the way we were building a front end project with React to connect all of the pieces together.

Then we jumped over to node and the backend.  This again was a super huge benefit to have Ben the instructor right there and he even had some guest instructors teaching stuff which was awesome too (usually people in the field).  A decent amount of those guest speakers are not instructors with Ben so you will get that benefit along the way.  There isn't a whole lot for me to go in here but it was awesome to build backend servers with node, express, mongoDB and mySQL.  Along the way we continued to build a backend server and keep on building through out the weeks we were learning this.  After we had a lot of GET/POST requests working and doing various things for us we went over how authentication works.  Encrypting passwords and the right way to store the encryptions (not the passwords) and how to check if someone was authenticated and provide limited access depending on that, which we used web tokens to keep track.

The last month for us was putting all of the previous stuff together to see how you put the front end and back end together (which this again was another HUGE mind blown situation).  All of the other courses I have seen or taken were either FE (react/angular/vue) or the BE (node, express, templating language) and I never understood how the pieces fit together and that opened my eyes SOOO much.  After that you will never look at site the same again!  This time was really really cool cuz we were doing out own thing with minimal instruction (compared to the rest of the courses) or Ben would do a video, let us know what it was gonna be about then let us choose to watch or not.  This was awesome because the instructor was available for more one on one time and helping along the way.

Also for what it's worth I interviewed and received an offer 2 days after the course end while I was back home.  I was able to negioate an above average salary for both that area and the area I actually live in.  The fact that I could speak to CS style questions (hash tables, binary searches, linked lists and things like that) put me according to the interviewer "above the other people interviewing" and allowed me to negotiate a higher salary.

Here is the big thing, can you learn the same things and end up with the same salary as I was offered for free??  Yes you can but I have been trying for a 1.5 with FCC and various other courses and NEVER got close, let alone the CS stuff that is really hard to wrap your head around.  The money spent was the best investment in myself I have ever made.  I got direct access to the instructor during the lectures, a direct path to learning, a great bunch of class mates and an environment mean to help you learn.  Lambda School has free options know which make this an even BETTER option if you are willing to apply yourself and work with the team at Lambda School.

I hope this was helpful and if you are serious about becoming a "developer" I think this is a great option as the knowledge taught will put you more on the software developer side of things which in most areas equates to better pay/options.

Lambda has made massive changes to its curriculum halfway through my experience.

While some of the changes might be for the better,  many of them change fundamental facts about Lambda that would have made me reconsider signing away part of my soul to the tune of 17% of my income for five years.

Also, some of the changes have necessary bad side effects that Lambda is unwilling to acknowledge. They no longer have "team leads" individuals with coding experience who would look at your code after you completed it and help you with minor problems. Your, the student, are now the only person who looks at your code. If you have a pervasive problem, you might never know.

Team leads have been somewhat replaced by a peer mentorship program. A peer mentorship program, by itself, is not necessarily a bad thing. But replacing paid, trained help, with unpaid untrained unwilling help is not.

Lambda also shortened the curriculum by six entire months for part-time students (3 for full time). They've pasted on some voluntary busy work at the end, so that we can't say this is a violation of contract.

These changes might make for a better program, but its not the program I signed up for. Lambda does not seem to think this is in any way dishonest. They respond to legitimate concerns by telling the students they are wrong. Which is, by itself, a further concern. All large changes, good or bad, are going to have some difficulties and unforeseen side effects. By refusing to acknowledge any of these, Lambda makes it difficult for me to believe they will actually ensure these changes are for the better.

And even if these changes (shortening the program, removing 1:1 help from paid instructors, removing half of the computer science curriculum, adding mandatory group/leadership meetings that take up a large fraction of total time) do make Lambda better in some theoretical way, it does not change the fact that I did not sign up for this.

So, Lambda is not trustworthy. Even if you like whatever current version of Lambda you see, keep in mind that Lambda has no qualms about yanking the rug out from underneath your feet.

You may be happy to commit 17% of your income to the program you see, but that might not be the program you end up getting.

(I'm leaving this review anonymously, unfortunately, because Lambda has broken the trust I would need to post it publicly. I am at this point deep enough into the program that I need to finish.)
  • Look elsewhere
    - 2/26/2019
    Anonymous • Applicant

I couldn't even get through the admissions process. I suppose no reply within 4 business days means I didn't make the cut. It's been 2 weeks and no word from Karen. I sent her a screenshot of my Web Dev application which lists my email address, but I guess she still couldn't find it. She didn't know the email address that I listed on my application was a short domain email address despite the fact that she was still able to email me and I was replying. I also hadn't entered my full name thinking I could just fill it in later, but to my surprise, there isn't an edit button for the application. I guess they want to re-submit your application should you need to edit something. You can only view your application. Easy fix for a bootcamp, no?

Anyway, that's really all I can say about it. It's fine though since I was getting cold feet from the bad reviews in the midst of all the good reviews. Many of the glowing reviews are from people who have experience in the field already. That isn't to say there aren't any newbie reviews, just not as many.

Lastly and more importantly are the numbers - 17% capped at $30k is steep. No thanks, but thanks for not getting back to me. Dodged a hole in my pocket.

• Anonymous • Web Developer • Graduate
    I would highly recommend Lambda School to anyone who is looking to further their education and personal skills while also getting a job in the field of software development. I graduated in mid-2018 and the curriculum was still in flux. Some bits were a little rough but overall it was a fantastic experience. They are very keen to adapt to student needs and trends in the industry. I even saw a few critical pivots happen within a week after my cohort voiced their concerns. Most of the instructors are very knowledgeable about their subject matter and are available if need be. If you ever have any questions, I would highly suggest reaching out to some of their students on Linkedin.