lambda-school-logo

Lambda School

Lambda School

Lambda School is an online coding bootcamp that teaches both a full-time, 9-month program and a part-time, 18-month program. This immersive online school is dedicated to teaching the most cutting-edge and in-demand technologies focused around JavaScript. Students will learn front end, back end, mobile, and neural network technologies. Their online classroom experience is the same as any physical classroom, live students, live instructors, full interaction, pair programming, and frequent code reviews. Their online, immersive format allows you to be connected to instructors at all times, chat with other students, or have someone instantly jump in to see your code.

Before starting a full-time course, applicants must complete a 2-week free intro course to learn the basics. After passing some test assignments, applicants are invited for an interview with a school representative.

Lambda School is committed to helping students find employment by providing interview preparation, portfolio review, effective resume writing tips, and salary negotiation practice. Lambda School offers an Income Sharing Agreement where students start paying for the program after they find a job.

Recent Lambda School Reviews: Rating 4.43

all (87) reviews for Lambda School →

Recent Lambda School News

Read all (43) articles about Lambda School →
  • Data Science

With 26% annual growth, Data Science continues to top emerging job lists year after year. Building on centuries of statistics and mathematics, Data Science uses computational techniques to help the most innovative companies in the world scale. From self-driving cars to dynamic business insights for Fortune 500 Companies, Data Science is changing the world. If you enjoy mathematics and love using data to make decisions, a career in data science could be for you. Lambda School's Data Science program is an intensive online training for a career in applied statistics and machine learning. Our curriculum covers the following topics and more: - Python - SQL - Data Visualization - Machine Learning - Linear Algebra - Databases - Statistics & Modeling - Natural Language Processing
    Deposit$0 down (No deposit, no down payment)
    Tuition PlansNo upfront payment required. Pay 17% of your income for 24 months (up to $30K) after getting a job making at least $50,000.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Python and algebra
    Prep WorkPre-course work will be sent after acceptance to the program
  • Full Stack Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python
    As a developer, you get to be the person that translates your passion into a functional website or web application to share with the world. A rapidly changing technological landscape means the industry continues to grow quickly, and is expected to grow by at least 13% in the next decade, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While many of those jobs are located in major tech hubs like San Francisco and New York City, the widespread need for developers across all industries means there’s likely a job waiting for you wherever you want to live. And if you’ve got persistence, grit, curiosity, and a brain that likes to solve puzzles, full stack web development could be the career for you. Lambda School's Full Stack Web Development is an immersive, online program to prepare you for a successful career in web development that teaches: - JavaScript - HTML - CSS - Node - React - Python - Redux - SQL
    Deposit$0 down (no deposit, no down payment).
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic JavaScript
    Prep WorkPre-course work is sent after acceptance to the program
  • Chan  User Photo
    Chan Verified via GitHub

I just started the mini bootcamp and am barely scraping the surface of web development. I'm currently half way through the HTML/CSS module on Code Academy. I found your course through the FCC Tempe/Phx Facebook group. To come in at Javascript before finishing the code academy basics made me feel a bit overwhelmed (especially after looking at a Javascript cheatsheet! Lol) But the homework and the support is top notch and what you are doing for the newbie community is valiant to say the least! Anyway the the info your team delivers is straightforward and to the point which I appreciate as I'm a single dad and work full time. I will definitely be considering signing up for the additional minicamps once I feel I bit more solid in my understanding of the basics. So I give it a 5 for sure!

• Bait n Switch
    - 11/21/2020
    Eric Capiz • Student
    I've been a student since May 2020 and in the beginning everything was great and what I was hoping for. The TLs were great, lectures we awesome and the students were very helpful when anyone needed help.

Fast forward 4-5 months and things are not the same. Lambda switched up alot of things. They've done away with TLs l, which alot of students valued when it came to 1:1s for code review. The positive and constructive feedback would only better ourselves to become better developers. The forces us to become mentors and to be mentored as well. Not every student can lead nor teach. Fortunately, my mentee dropped out of lambda and I was able to get back that time to work on the assignments.  I told my mentor I will not participate in the meetings. How can I trust the mentor to provide the guidance I need when they're forced into this role in which they probably didn't want to participate in.

The track team is an awesome idea but execution was extremely poor. This is another idea that lambda should have let their students opt in to. Most students do not attend these meetings, probably because it runs into our allotted project time or they simply don't find the value in having these meets. Nobody takes the meets seriously. We didn't need them in the beginning and we don't need them now.

Implementing canvas was, in my opinion, a decent improvement from the TK we were used to, but we just didn't get any help to figure out how to navigate through it at first. The quizzes were a great idea too.. the downside to this all is none of our assignments/sprints are graded. How do we know if we did it correctly, dry and effectively? Sure we can test but to make sure it works but like everything else, there's more than one way to solve a problem. Technically, we can clone and fork the assignments/sprints and submit submit the git repo and nobody cares to check to make sure it's been completed. Lambda doesn't care if you do the assignments, which is ironic since they are relying on us to learn and graduate and get a job in order for us to pay them back. Which leads me to believe that they will change the ISAs and we'll have to pay back regardless if we get a job or not.

There are tons of options, cheaper options out there that will give you the same skill sets that lambda is attempting to teach us..

codewithmosh.com
    Codingphase.com
    Udemy.com
    Freecodecamp.com

Do your research.

Most of us are in to deep to back out and will need to finish the program. Students make lambda, without us there is no lambda. Students who feel even the slightest way against these changes need to stand up and speak and together, and only together, can we be heard and hopefull  lambda will care enough to hear.
  • Forced Labor
    - 9/29/2020
    julliann • Student
    Lambda was a 9month FullTime Fullstack Bootcamp.
    it started out great
    you have a careers session every monday
    you have 3weeks of lecture and 1 week of build per unit
    you are assigned into a TL team where in you have a teamlead that you can go for when you need help or to help you debug

each lecture week would be
    4days(mon-thurs) of 2hours lecture, a daily project, and an afternoon standup
    1 day(fridays) have a thing called sprint wherein you have 3hours to finish a project and hit mvp. after that there are afternoon meetings

every unit there is a thing called a build week
    where in you work on a project for a whole week, and work on what your specific unit is taught its like a culmination thing and have it submitted by friday end of week.

the first months lambda was great, my study habits had structure the instructors were great, there were some hiccups here and there but overall id say it was worth the 30k ISA

they had a hirings team, where they help you get interviews with companies that lambda is partnered with.

this was all great until lambda decided to roll out with some changes

they cut the course from 9mos to 6mos.
    they said they have a better curriculum, but they didnt. they just removed stuff from the curriculum without really giving any concrete reason why aside from `trust me ive talked with the hiring partners`. when you ask them why they do it this way they just dodge the question and say , trust me this is a proven way.
    now there are no more TL's to guide you, and you are forced to "Mentor" students from earlier class and you get a "Mentee" from 2 classes ahead of you to build your leadership skills. the concept is great but then not everyone wants to be a leader some people just want to learn how to code. but for this thing you dont really have a choice on the matter and are just forced to roll with it.

a lot of people are complaining that this is a breach of contract from the ISA we signed and they still did not acknowledge that.
    they continued to roll with the changes even if majority of students complained about it. questions are left unanswered and everyone is wondering if this is forced labor because it does seem like it

lambda was great this i dunno
  • Horrible
    - 9/28/2020
    Billy Gene • Student
    Joke of a school. Stay away. Admissions is a joke. The curriculum and teaching is even worse.
  • Brittney Thomas
    This program was great until it wasn't. I had been withdrawn after only inquiring about withdrawing, I was only seeking information, but they have decided to move forward with the process. So after snapping out of a depressive state from me losing my job from Covid-19, losing a parent, and while all being pregnant,  I sent a letter of appeal, for them to still not work with me and have not have the best open communication, whereas I wouldn't hear anything for a week so it prolonged everything. I've been with the program for a year before all this has happened, I put in hours, stressed and cried over it while working a job that had ridiculous overtime where I had to pull all nighters just to try and keep up and they still denied to help after just one stressful week.

I believed in this program and all they said to me was I can reapply after 6 months...I have written back more questions and how I felt and haven't gotten a response in almost 3 weeks. I honestly feel like I would've been better off purchasing classes from online courses, at least I wouldn't have to now owe $30,000. I would not recommend.
  • The Bottom Line
    - 2/8/2020
    Chris Schroeder • Data Scientist • Graduate
    Opinions about Lambda vary but I'll outline the bottom line.  Is Lambda perfect?  No.  In any organization?  No.  Will Lambda get you where you need to be if you put in the time?  Yes.

For me a program like Lambda needed to do one thing: give me enough experience to get my foot in the door with jobs that were previously inaccessible. There are rough spots in the curriculum and organization but at the end of the day I have gained the skills needed to find work in my desired field.  What's more, I have developed a network of peers that will serve me well into the future.  This is all the more true because Lambda is driven to improve by using feedback and data to fine tune the process.

If you want to gain the skills to change careers while joining and ever improving network you will be hard pressed to find someone doing it better than Lambda.

• Lambda Works!
    - 2/8/2020
    Iraj • Student
    I was job hunting ,had a CS background but employment gap killed me then I joined lambda and it gave me my confidence back and the the practical learning boost me to start applying again and I landed a job . So stoked to continue both my job and lambda .
  • The best decision!
    - 8/13/2019
    Jameson Brown • Front End Engineer • Graduate

I had been working in hotel management for about 6 years when I decided to pursue my passion for technology and problem solving and become a software engineer. I looked at many options from University, State College, Online University, and bootcamps.  There are so many options to choose from but after research I knew the bootcamp route was the one for me. I researched and found the best bootcamps for me, put together pros and cons and ended up choosing the Full time Full Stack Software Engineering course at Lambda School. Let me start off by saying I have absolutely no regrets about my decision. Now that I am graduate and working in the industry, I will share a list of some of the pros and cons of my experience with Lambda. Notice some items are on the pro and con lists.

Pros:
    Class/group structure - Its very similar to a lot of real world work environments. Students are split into smaller groups/teams that are led by a Product Manager(which is typically a senior student at Lambda). These small groups were vital to my success at Lambda. They become your support system, friends, family, etc. We learn together, fix bugs together, tell stories, laugh, vent, etc. Having a great group makes all the difference at Lambda.

Agile environment - Lambda is very agile and adapts quickly. From operations flow/procedure to last minute curriculum changes to based off whats needed/used in the industry and what hiring partners are looking for. This is incredibly nice cause you are not stuck learning tech thats not used anymore and your skills are more relevant during the job search. Lambda believes in finding the need for a change and making it quick, not waisting time or making excuses why not to change.

Instructors and staff - When I attended Lamba(5/18 - 12/18) the instructors and staff were amazing! They were all very involved and personally invested in each students struggles, concerns, and ultimately their success.  Lambda will not hold your hand the whole way but for someone that is dedicated they will find the level of support very helpful and way above what other bootcamps and universities offer. I even unofficial was mentored by one of my instructors who helped me grow, network, and prepare for where I am today. The school has grown so much and many of the instructors are now directors over different programs and have hired more instructors. Hopefully they maintain the culture that was there when I attended.

Income Shared Agreement - The way Lambda uses ISA to pay is beneficial in so many ways. To name a few, it gives those without the opportunity to down pay for the program or cant get a loan or whatever the case may be an equal opportunity. Talent can come from anywhere and Lambda is giving everyone the chance. Its also beneficial because it aligns the goals of the student and the school. If the student isn't successful, nobody will benefit. Lambda is just as interested in your success and job hunt as anyone else.

Job Search Support - I received so much support when I graduated and began my job search. Besides the instructor that became a mentor to me, I was assigned an amazing career coach named Gigi, I received many follow ups from instructors, staff, and even the founder of the school Austen. Through their help and networking like crazy in my area I was able to land my dream job at an amazing company. Lambda Mission Accomplished!!

Cons:
    Class/group structure - This is also included as a pro from above. The reason I included this on my cons list is the very reason it was on the pros list. If you dont have a great PM group with great vibes this can make your experience really challenging. Since this becomes your little family and support group you learn to really lean on each other and without that I dont know what my outcome would have been like.

Agile environment - This is also included as a pro from above. The reason I included this on my cons list is because as great as agile methodology, if not done correctly it can cause its own set of problems. On some of the changes while I was a student it was so sudden and without any preparation that nobody including staff were completely ready for it and it created issues, confusion, and frustration. I think remaining agile is definitely best but Lambda should understand the issues it can cause and try to be more prepared for the change with the appropriate tools and resources in place.

Saturated Market - The market in a lot of places is incredibly saturated. Yes the growth of the industry is huge and more and more jobs are becoming available, however, there are also a ton of juniors looking for their first job as well which really saturates it. This is not Lambda's problem directly, however, I feel that staff, instructors, and career coaches need to do a better job at making this issue clear and expectations are set correctly. From talking too many other students, it is a common feeling that Lambda painted the industry as growing and that there is a deficit of engineers and finding a job should be easy. Upon graduation you learn that about the saturation and confusion starts to kick in. It is what it is, but would be nice to have been aware the whole time so expectations are realistic.

Overall I love Lambda. No bootcamp or university is perfect but of the options I truly feel this is the route to take. If you are thinking about the bootcamp route, do your research, make a decision, and jump in full speed. Lambda will help support you along the way and will be there even after you graduate and find your first job. Above everything else, Lambda values feedback and takes it very serious. Every single piece of feedback is listened too and will be followed up on. This feedback is what fuels the rapid growth/success of the program and the agile practice. Once you are a part of Lambda School you will always have that network and support system that you belong to and again, I could not be more excited and without regrets about my decision.

• Jacob Lyerla • Software Engineer

I am going to just say this may not be for everyone.

That being said if you don't put in the work you will not succeed, there is ever opportunity to get you where you need to go, and even if you are new and not sure you can do it there are people that will help you every step for every level no one who is willing to get put in the work gets left behind, Lambda does a lot to make sure the students are getting the support they need to succeed, this only works if you do.

The course is incredible value for money.

I went from working construction in the Arizona heat to making a very good Salary working in Boston, It took a grind and a lot of hard work and effort to get there, I won't say it came easy, but I got it and Lambda showed me the way to get there.

Passion for programming is really a must, that is not a Lambda thing that is a developer thing, if you don't want to be doing this than it's probably not for you, if you can find the joy in solving difficult problems with amazing developers and friends than you will do fine, for me solving hard problems with unique thinking, finding out fun ways to solve hard problems, it's really amazing.

I will say if you are not a team player this may not be the course for you, there is a lot of pairs work and working with teams, and really if you are not a team player it will be hard to find a place inside of the industry, to get the most out of your time at lambda be sure to make a lot of connections and you will grow as a developer and as a person, meeting so many people from different background and learning to approach code in different ways.

The instructors are Lambda are just amazing, really I don't have anything bad to say about them, some of the most inspiring and great teachers I have had, the are some of the best and they impress me with how well they do, I am really glad I got to meet and learn from each of them.

Job assistance was amazing Kelsey my career coach is one of the main reasons I never gave up on my job search, and they are improving they the way the connect the students with the hiring partners all the time, so I can only see it getting better from here.

Curriculum had a few hiccup but overall it was very good, in my class we learned MongoDB and I know they teach the students SQL now, I don't regret learning MongoDB though it's really awesome I enjoy it, however I use SQL at work so MongoDB has not come in use beyond personal projects.

• Jeremy A. Jones • Software Engineer • Graduate

After accepting a job offer today that has completely changed the direction of my life for the better, I have an immense feeling of gratitude toward Lambda School. My base salary has gone up almost 3.5x from my former career as a teacher in San Francisco!

I decided to join Lambda School on a whim and honestly, it was something I stumbled into by chance from a series of events that happened over a couple of weeks that led me to meet a Lambda student who referred me directly to Austen Allred, CEO of Lambda. After getting special permission to complete the coursework in under a week due to my life circumstances, I joined the CS8 cohort that began in early February 2018.

The curriculum is rigorous to say the least, and my having no previous programming experience, apart from maybe some very basic HTML & CSS, every day and week was admittedly quite overwhelming. With that being said, the instructors at Lambda are A++ and the support system is like nothing I'd ever seen before in my 11-12 years as an educator. The system, though continually evolving , is designed where no student is left behind, and each individual student gets all of the support they need (granted they put in 100% effort) to succeed.

In just a matter of a few weeks, I had gone from basically knowing nothing to building responsive websites. In just a matter of a few months, I was building full stack web applications from end to end. By the time I got to Lambda Labs (apprenticeship program), I was working on a small team to build a first-of-its-kind app to market in only 5 weeks under the direction of an experience engineer/mentor. The progress students make at Lambda in just a short amount of time is truly incredible, and I would attribute this to two things: 1. Lambda's curriculum, instructors and staff. 2. The amount of work you put into the program.

On top of all this, Lambda's career services program is truly revolutionary. I've never seen or heard anything like it. Each student is assigned to an individual career coach and also has access to all of the other career coaches and other student success staff at pretty much anytime. One of the coolest things at Lambda is that graduation isn't celebrated, job offers are. To help you get job, the sales & outcomes teams work tirelessly to bring in new partners. In short, they set you up with all of the opportunities you need to be successful; you just have to step up to the plate and hit a home run when you're up to bat.

After I finished the curriculum in late July 2018, I signed on as a Teaching Assistant (internally known as a Project Manager) for 4 months (in my case). This program, open to most students upon reaching a certain point in the course, is pivotal in growing your skills for the tech industry. Having the opportunity to work more closely with an instructional team and mentoring and teaching others, launched me to a new level. It also helped me understand how much work goes on behind the scenes to run a school at the top notch level Lambda does. The amount of work and energy put into this school to make it an industry leader is phenomenal.

If anyone is looking to join one of the programs that Lambda offers and launch yourself into the technology industry, this is undoubtedly the best there is. The difference between Lambda & other schools is that Lambda isn't a bootcamp. It's a full fledged CS program merged with your track of choice (web for me) and designed to make you successful on day one of your job as an engineer. Even if you do have a CS degree or have worked in engineering for a while, Lambda would still be beneficial to you. In fact, I've talked to several folks with CS degrees who were in my cohort, and they said the education at Lambda was much better and much more relevant than anything they learned in their respective 4-year university programs.

I cannot thank Lambda School enough for changing my life and the lives of so many others for the better. They are a one of a kind in this industry, led by visionaries, and I truly believe they will come to lead the industry across the world with this model.