lambda-school-logo

Lambda School

Lambda School

Lambda School is an online coding bootcamp that teaches both a full-time, 9-month program and a part-time, 18-month program. This immersive online school is dedicated to teaching the most cutting-edge and in-demand technologies focused around JavaScript. Students will learn front end, back end, mobile, and neural network technologies. Their online classroom experience is the same as any physical classroom, live students, live instructors, full interaction, pair programming, and frequent code reviews. Their online, immersive format allows you to be connected to instructors at all times, chat with other students, or have someone instantly jump in to see your code.

Before starting a full-time course, applicants must complete a 2-week free intro course to learn the basics. After passing some test assignments, applicants are invited for an interview with a school representative.

Lambda School is committed to helping students find employment by providing interview preparation, portfolio review, effective resume writing tips, and salary negotiation practice. Lambda School offers an Income Sharing Agreement where students start paying for the program after they find a job.

Recent Lambda School Reviews: Rating 4.43

all (87) reviews for Lambda School →

Recent Lambda School News

Read all (43) articles about Lambda School →
  • Data Science

With 26% annual growth, Data Science continues to top emerging job lists year after year. Building on centuries of statistics and mathematics, Data Science uses computational techniques to help the most innovative companies in the world scale. From self-driving cars to dynamic business insights for Fortune 500 Companies, Data Science is changing the world. If you enjoy mathematics and love using data to make decisions, a career in data science could be for you. Lambda School's Data Science program is an intensive online training for a career in applied statistics and machine learning. Our curriculum covers the following topics and more: - Python - SQL - Data Visualization - Machine Learning - Linear Algebra - Databases - Statistics & Modeling - Natural Language Processing
    Deposit$0 down (No deposit, no down payment)
    Tuition PlansNo upfront payment required. Pay 17% of your income for 24 months (up to $30K) after getting a job making at least $50,000.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic Python and algebra
    Prep WorkPre-course work will be sent after acceptance to the program
  • Full Stack Web Development

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, SQL, Python
    As a developer, you get to be the person that translates your passion into a functional website or web application to share with the world. A rapidly changing technological landscape means the industry continues to grow quickly, and is expected to grow by at least 13% in the next decade, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. While many of those jobs are located in major tech hubs like San Francisco and New York City, the widespread need for developers across all industries means there’s likely a job waiting for you wherever you want to live. And if you’ve got persistence, grit, curiosity, and a brain that likes to solve puzzles, full stack web development could be the career for you. Lambda School's Full Stack Web Development is an immersive, online program to prepare you for a successful career in web development that teaches: - JavaScript - HTML - CSS - Node - React - Python - Redux - SQL
    Deposit$0 down (no deposit, no down payment).
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic JavaScript
    Prep WorkPre-course work is sent after acceptance to the program
  • Changed my life
    - 5/4/2018
    Antonio Melendez  User Photo
    Antonio Melendez • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I took a gamble on Lambda. I was going to school for CS. Had 2 children and working for full time making $18 a hour wasn’t cutting it. I need to accelerate my track to becoming a Software Engineer. I went to Lambda learned skills the industry wanted and landed a job as a Software Engineer making a great salary. Thank you Lambda.

• Rashmi Baheti  User Photo
    Rashmi Baheti • Student Verified via GitHub

I completed 6-month full-time computer Science course at Lambda School in April 2018. It has been my best decision so far! Lambda School is not easy, that is for sure! Before joining this school, I had some programing experience which made my life little easy. Joining Lambda School didn't just teach me web development and other computer science courses but also made me confident and most importantly independent! Instructors here are very knowledgeable. Some have industry experience of more than a decade while some have even published their own books on computer science! They all are very kind and generous. No question is a silly question according to them and they all were so helpful all the time! (I know its too much of positive feedback but that's what I felt for them)!

6-months I was there were very busy. Other than the official class hours (8am - 5pm PST) I had to find couple of hours everyday to have more grasp on the topic we learned. I stopped all my outings for those 6-months and focused only on my studies. After graduating I feel so confident about my knowledge on full stack web development. I keep improving my knowledge day by day by continuous learning.  I am looking for job opportunities right now, hoping to get one very soon! Lambda School is the best! No one can go wrong with this school!

PS: Lambda School sounds fishy.. or too good to be true. I know! That's what even I thought before joining this school. But you'll know the truth only after joining this school :)

• Adam Lower  User Photo
    Adam Lower • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

It feels wrong to even call Lambda School a "bootcamp." It is so much more than that. It was a huge leap of faith for me to drop everything and dedicate 6 months full time to nothing but learning, but it was absolutely worth it. Lambda School's curriculum covers everything you need to know to get started as a software developer. The instructors are world class and are able to teach and guide students through challenging subjects with ease. My only regret is not finding out about Lambda School sooner. It sounds too good to be true, but it's not!

• Great.
    - 3/16/2018
    Sara  User Photo
    Sara • Project Manager • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I was initially nervous about Lambda School. It seemed kind of too good to be true, in terms of the income share agreement. However, as soon as the course started it was apparent that everyone was focused on helping us develop.

Being able to still experience live lectures and interact with other students and instructors, while still being able to stay in my home, and not necessarily having to have childcare for my kids was a huge bonus and one of the main reasons I was able to enroll. Despite not being in a classroom setting, students are able to access project managers and instructors for video or text chat every day. Overall, there is a supportive and cooperative atmosphere.

The instructors are all professional and obviously passionate about the success of the students. They are open and supportive. The school responds quickly to critique and frequently seeks feedback from students. This feedback is put into place quickly.

• Chris A  User Photo
    Chris A • Section Lead • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I found out about Lambda School from an ad on Facebook. What caught my eye was the no money down AND you didn't have to pay until you have a job paying at least 50k. I thought it was too good to be true because you see bootcamps or other institutions charging 20k-30k minimum to teach you CS and Web Dev. I also thought that there was some super specific criteria that you had to qualify for that would apply to me. Even still I filled out the application just because...who knows?

Two days later I get an email from the CEO Austen saying that I've been accepted and sent me a link to the pre-course work. I am beyond happy at this point because not only do I have a chance to learn specifically what I need to get in the field that I want to, but also I wont have to add to the debt that I already had from college.

I attended Lambda School while working full time which probably wasn't ideal, but I still did it because there were really no other options for me. I worked 10 hours a day so I didn't have time for college and if I didn't work, I couldn't support myself, so online was the way to go.

All of the instructors are amazing, but I think Ryan was my favorite. He teaches like his students are his children, and he is very passionate about what he teaches.

Lambda School is different because its not just the teach you how to use a framework or a library, they teach you so that not only do you know how to use it, but also you know what is going on under the hood and teach you how to do it yourself. They also tell you why they are teaching you by giving real world scenarios and examples backing what we would see in the field.

One of the biggest things to me is that before your capstones, LS gives you the option of becoming a Project Manager for the cohorts behind you as an in house internship. This gives you experience managing other students and it reinforces what you learned when you went through the curriculum. Just seeing students go through what you did and then seeing them figure it out and get that same joy that you did after trying to figure something out after sometimes many hours of struggling with it, is one of the best feelings especially when they can count on you to help them out. It also shows me how far I’ve come. I went from not even knowing anything about Javascript, to knowing how to create pretty much anything I wanted and how to show someone else to do it as well.

10/10 would recommend

• Tyler Long  User Photo
    Tyler Long • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from college with a non-STEM degree and realized that I did not want to pursue a career in my field. I searched for awhile to find a coding bootcamp to attend, and didn't feel confident that the education I would receive would justify the cost. I finally found Lambda School and realized that their model did not match that of coding bootcamps.

I applied for their full time Computer Science Academy, and got accepted with no upfront cost, only an ISA promising to share my income for two years once I get a job paying more than $50k/year.

The curriculum is very modern and teaches you the fundamentals of CS, and software development. You have the opportunity to work on personal projects and and they are constantly updating the course so that they are teaching you the most effective way possible. I will say that the work is not easy, though. You are taught to troubleshoot difficult problems and become self-sufficient. The instructors are very accessible, though, and will make sure that nobody is falling behind.

Also, there is a full career development team whose job it is to find the students job after graduation. There are many resources to do so, and the job listings are constantly being updated.

After graduating from Lambda School, I realized that I have learned an incredible amount that I could never have learned on my own. I was offered an internship position as a TA, and that gives me the opportunity to review the curriculum and solidify my understanding, while, at the same time, assisting students who are learning it for the first time. It is a huge commitment to make, but the experience is one that I would do all over again.

• Travis Jones  User Photo
    Travis Jones • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Lambda School, for me, was one of those “being at right place at the right time” opportunities. I was in limbo between jobs and going back to school after obtaining a few associate degrees and doing nothing with them. I had decided to resume my pursuit for a computer science degree and began taking courses at a local college. After realizing it would take 2 years to finish and an insane commute to the main campus without relocation, it almost seemed unrealistic with my financial position.

Then I ran into a talk on HackerNews with Austen talking about a thing called Lambda School. The Income Agreement Plan was exactly what I needed in my situation. It all seemed too perfect.

Not having a tremendous amount of coding experience, I decided to try out the one week bootcamp on JavaScript as well as a Web Development bootcamp they had on their website for free. Keep in mind these boot camps offer more information and knowledge than you would receive at most 1-2 month boot camps. It was an amazing introduction.

So now I’m 4 months into the Full-Time Web Development course, and gotta say it’s the most intense 4 months of anything I’ve ever done. Every topic builds off each other being able to add to a personal project applications as you learn to implement and cement the knowledge gained. All the way to deployment! The live lesson are fully interactive with amazingly smart instructors who know their stuff and fully and willing to help you until you feel comfortable with the content. The curriculum is fast paced but on point. As they tell you in the beginning, be where you’re supposed to be when you’re supposed to be there, missing a day is like missing a half a week in college. You better invest in yourself as much as they invest in you. But if you do fall behind they will fully work with you to make sure neither of your time is wasted.

One of the coolest parts of the program in comparison to another higher education establishment is the flexibility they proved in their syllabus. For instance enough people wanted have python be apart of the course and bam! Lambda provides. They are always up to date with the latest technologies, and ensures that we are right with the industry. Which you probably won’t find at a university considering their curriculums are set in stone in many ways, and takes forever for a change to happen.

I’ve also made a ton of friends in this program and there are more than enough interesting people with all types of backgrounds.

They also provide a cool thing called brownbags, which is a section of time after lunch where a highly qualified person in a field of study or a software engineer that’s in the industry to present a cool topic that’s pertains to the interest of all students. It helps to get an understanding of what the industry is like or you can get your feet wet into an interesting subject like Machine Learning or Music Softeare, etc. it opens doors for connections and gives you a glimpse of all the possibilities you might not have noticed before.

All in all, Lambda School has been an amazing experience, I’ve learned more than I know my money will be worth, and I can’t wait to see the opportunities they provide upon graduation.

Lambda School is onto something incredible, and I feel very fortunate to be apart of it.

It’s not just a web development academy, it’s a building block for the next wave in the forefront of technology.

• Patrick Kennedy  User Photo
    Patrick Kennedy • Software engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The income share agreement - instead of paying up front - was a huge part of why I chose Lambda School. Our interests are really aligned and they are super motivated to get me hired. If you can devote the six months to their program, you will become a much better programmer. The teachers are passionate, happy to share their expertise, approachable and, they are happy to help you out. The emphasis on live lectures really helped a lot to (I'd tried a lot of other courses and pre-recorded content just isn't as engaging). I've met a lot of great people and made a lot of friends. I took a couple of their free courses and that's what really sold me on the program. I really liked their teaching style. The program is very well put together so that week by week what you learn builds upon the previous material and pretty soon you are deploying projects you've made and engaging with cutting edge technology. Just as important, their grounding with Computer Science fundamentals has put me in a position to stay on top of current technologies and learn how to use new tools. If you have the time to devote to the program and want to become a full-stack software developer, I can not recommend Lambda School enough!

• Ely Alamillo  User Photo
    Ely Alamillo • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I recently finished the first ever fulltime cohort of Lambda School CS1.

I will keep this review short and to the point. I personally think Lambda School is a great investment in yourself. LS has helped me take my skills to the next leve. Before starting LS i had genaral knowledge of web technologies and could possibly create very basic static application, now i can confortably whip out a fullstack application by myself. I am sure many of the other students can attest to this.

All in all if you have time, you shold definitely join LS and take your skills to the next level.

• Harris  User Photo
    Harris • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was always fascinated by technology and naturally chose computer science in University. But, the curriculum of my university was not updated enough to actually get a job or interesting enough to get along with current technology. So, I thought of going to coding boot camp to improve upon my skills in programming and design.

I chose Lambda School from a recommendation of a good friend of mine whom I had met on Medium. I went blindfolded to Lambda School without any expectation or opinion. And, they did not disappoint me.

Prior to Lambda School, I did have a knowledge of programming and had a fair bit of experience in developing websites. They helped me hone that knowledge and improve my skills as a software developer.

ReactNative, a completely new technology is the best part of course at school. You can absolutely do anything with this tool. And, I loved it.

Teachers were also very supportive of me. Even when I asked a question about Python and Django, course not included in the package; they were happy to help me.

Mentors did ask me if I wanted help on finding jobs, but I have always been fascinated with innovation and entrepreneurship. So, I chose to start my own startup and I have few small projects on my hand. All this would not have been possible without Lambda School.

So, if you are thinking of switching career to the software developer or any other community related to programming, you should do it. But, you need to attend coding boot camp to develop the habit of hard work and productivity; it does not matter which one you attend but you need to do it.

If you happen to be interesting in lambda school or want to do something awesome after you graduate, you are welcome into my startup. You can contact me through LinkedIn and we can go on to make a better world together as a team.

• Caz  User Photo
    Caz Verified via GitHub

I completed the free Python and Javascript mini bootcamps and they were both great learning experiences. These consisted of online video lectures (streamed live but available afterwards) and homework exercises with interaction via slack. The python mini bootcamp was about 8 lessons (2 lectures each week over 4 weeks) and the javascript mini bootcamp was a 4 day intense series of lectures and homework. The instructors were knowledgeable and responsive.

I learnt quite a fair bit in both mini bootcamps which covered the basics and touched on some more advanced material. Great taster of the full bootcamps. What set this apart from other courses I've done is the use of slack. There was a good group of really helpful fellow students from all around the world and having this chat feature helped with instant communication and problem solving.

• Robert  User Photo
    Robert Verified via GitHub

I took a free JavaScript bootcamp for one week and they offered 4 video lectures, homework that was challenging and made you learn, and also they were very active on the Slack forum which we communicated on. For a free program this was above and beyond. I would recomend this school to others.