io-academy-logo

iO Academy

Bath, Online, Sheffield

iO Academy

iO Academy (previously Mayden Academy) is a 16-week, full-time, full-stack coding bootcamp with small class sizes in the UK and online. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for their first developer role, with a focus on practical experience working on projects throughout the course. There is an option to specialize at the end of the course, either in advanced front end or complex problem-solving. Students will learn from experienced software developers in class sizes of 8, chosen to reflect the size of an average software scrum team. This makes project work as close to a professional tech experience as possible.

The course was developed by healthtech company Mayden to be up-to-date with a focus on best practice and to reflect what is most needed in the tech industry. Students will receive scrum training and attain their Scrum Master Certification. No coding experience is required to apply. iO Academy has a goal of supporting diversity in tech and is positive about mental health.

Recent iO Academy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (80) reviews for iO Academy →

Recent iO Academy News

• The Full Stack Track

Cost£11,000
    LocationSheffield, Online, Bath
    Students will learn the fundamentals of coding, software design and project management.
    DepositOptional £150 refundable deposit for the use of a MacBook Pro
    Deferred payment is available with EdAid or Knoma. Borrow up to the full course fee and pay back later.
    ScholarshipA scholarship (the Diversitech Fund) for financial assistance for those underrepresented in the tech industry is available.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience required
    Prep WorkA basic introduction to programming prep course is provided to all successful applicants before joining the programme.
  • Ruth • Graduate

Such a great course, I really enjoyed my time learning at the academy with great trainers and lovely students. I developed valuable skills both technical and for working in a team. It has given me a really strong base of skills to launch from and an idea of how I could learn and develop more in the future.

It is a very well supported intensive course that will give you all the skills you need to go straight into a junior developer role. The trainers are encouraging, friendly and always willing to help you learn.

Really great trainers, appreciative of how to cater to different learning styles. Great at teaching structured content and practical exercises.

I really enjoyed the Node and Framework’s module because it contained so much content that was completely new to me and was exciting even if it was difficult.

• Ben Long • Developer • Graduate

Having left school at 18 and wanting to persue a career in software development, I knew university was not the best option. Mayden Academy has fast tracked my career and helped me get a job that I wouldn't have been able to get without a degree, 3 years faster and far cheaper than University could.

The most valuable things I learnt were, project estimations / planning, teamwork, many new technologies and above all the industry standard way of doing things.

• ZCE Training
    - 2/1/2017
    Matt Storey • Software developer

Summary: I got a certification in PHP recognised globally.

Having little experience with PHP since I joined Mayden this has been extremely helpful in furthering my own knowledge in the language. The Zend Certified Engineer exam requires a lot of studying the nuances of PHP and is extremely daunting as it covers the entire language.

Thankfully the training made me more confident in developing PHP professionally as well as being prepared for the exam. Not only did I learn a lot, I also got a cerification that is recognised by industries globally.

• Ben Morris • Software Developer • Graduate

I joined Mayden as a software developer in september last year. It was a career change for me as I had just graduated with an MEng in structural engineering. I had good problem solving and analytical skills from, but little knowledge of PHP.

I joined the academy for one month while they were taking the PHP modules. I was very impressed with the course.

There was a really good blend of theory and practice. We would spend one week being taught course content from the front, followed by one week with a group project. We would alternate like this the whole time. To drive, you need theory but also practice on the road. This brings the same approach to programming.

The main instructor spoke clearly, and at a very good pace. He was patient and would put care answering questions thoroughly, often typing code snippets, which were projected onto the board.

I marked the curriculum as 5 stars because I found that when I started programming there are so many technologies which interact to put together a web application. HTTP, Apache, HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, Virtual Machines. When I was working here to start with I was learning PHP but I didn't know how it interacted with all the other techniologies. But the fact that the course is full stack really helped me to join the pieces together.

I also wanted to mention a couple of intangibles. The first is the quality of the other applicants. It seems they recruit on ability but also passion. This made the time spent relationally rewarding as well as technically helpful. I met some really interesting people from a variety of backgrounds who really enjoyed what they were doing.

A final thing that really stood out to me, was the support given to the academy by the company as a whole. Often we would have a guest speaker, which would be a current Mayden developer. But people would even stop by to help from other departments without being asked.

• Charlie • Software Engineer • Graduate

If you want the quick review here it is: By attending the academy I now have a job as a software engineer.

I cannot recommend the academy enough- all learning styles are accomodated, the content is well thought out and the teaching was clear and efficient. I attempted to learn this stuff on my own before the academy and I felt like I was banging my head against a wall, not knowing where to start, what to learn and constantly getting stuck and having no one to ask. Attending the academy 9-5 Monday to Friday and treating my learning as a job really helped focus my mind, immerse myself in the topic and be part of a positive learning environment with others that had the same goal. It also stopped me being lured in by my Xbox at home when trying to teach myself!

• Rhymes Toasterface • Graduate

Before joining Mayden, I had been an office administrator for around 20 years.

It wasn't fun. It wasn't well paid. Most of all, it was depressing.

I wanted a job career that I enjoyed - I wanted to be happy about getting out of bed and going to work in the morning.

Mayden offered the opportunity to achieve this - I didn't have the time left in my working life to study at OU. I didn't have the financial stability to drop out and go to Uni for 3 years. I needed a quicker solution. Enter Mike and the Mayden team...

The course was great. Tough, but great - the content is current and constantly evolving to be relevant and most of all, backed up by practical work - as Scrum teams on big, full stack projects for real World experience. Invaluable for a new portfolio of work!

It will be a long, tiring and mentally challenging four months, and you'll have to be prepared to put in the hours outside of the classroom, but it will be worth it.

Mike and the Mayden team have been as helpful as they can be in finding a job after graduating and in the other alumni from the course, I have a support network of people in the same situation, with the same experience.

Give it a try. You won't be disappointed...

• Ralph Rutter • Graduate

As somebody with an academic background, but negligible experience with software, Mayden Academy was just what I needed.

The course provided me with the ability to write code in HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, and SQL in order to create interactive web applications. As well as these core technologies, we were taught many peripheral components of the development process, such as Git, making us far more than code-writing machines. This was done in an environment where questions were absolutely always welcomed, and answered thoughtfully; and if the answer wasn't known, then other's would be consulted until it was!

The learning took place in an active development environment, with the academy students forming an additional Scrum team. Doing it this way enabled us to prepare for what is ahead of us in our careers and to take examples from people who are doing it already.

• Alison • Student

I had a very basic knowledge of HTML and was keen to learn more.  Mike, our trainer, was very patient and explained things clearly and when needed, was very patient.

There was a good mix of practical work and theory and I am keen to keep expanding my knowledge.

Thank you.

iO Academy Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at iO Academy, 100% graduated. 97% of graduates were job-seeking and 82% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $25,300. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 38 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

More information about our reporting and a detailed report can be found here:
Salary recorded in UK GBP, not US dollars