io-academy-logo

iO Academy

Bath

iO Academy

iO Academy (previously Mayden Academy) is a 16-week, full-time full-stack coding bootcamp in Bath, England. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for their first developer role, with a focus on practical experience working on projects throughout the course. There is an option to specialise at the end of the course, either in advanced front end or complex problem-solving. Students will learn from experienced software developers in class sizes of 8, chosen to reflect the size of an average software scrum team. This makes project work as close to a professional tech experience as possible.

The course was developed by healthtech company Mayden to be up-to-date with a focus on best practice and to reflect what is most needed in the tech industry. Students will receive scrum training and attain their Scrum Master Certification. No coding experience is required to apply. iO Academy has a goal of supporting diversity in tech and is positive about mental health.

Recent iO Academy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (58) reviews for iO Academy →

Recent iO Academy News

• The Full Stack Track

Cost£11,000
    LocationBath
    Students will learn the fundamentals of coding, software design and project management.
    DepositOptional £150 refundable deposit for the use of a MacBook Pro
    Deferred payment is available. Borrow up to the full course fee and pay back once you start your new role.
    ScholarshipA scholarship (the Diversitech Fund) for financial assistance for those underrepresented in the tech industry is available.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience required
    Prep Work5-10 hour basic introduction to programming prep course provided to all successful applicants before joining the programme.
  • Excellent
    - 12/16/2019
    James T • Graduate

I have finished the full stack course 2 days ago and it was excellent. I have never leant so much in such so quickly. Considering how technical and sometimes complicated the concepts involved are this is testament to how good the trainers are. They all know their stuff and have relevant professional experience and know how to explain it to anybody who will listen.

It felt like a big step and a big risk commiting to the course but now that it is over I do not regret it for a second. I am looking forward to moving into a job that would have been completely out of reach before I attended Mayden and with the help that they give you preparing and looking for work I am sure that it won't be long seeing as many of my classmates had a job offer before they had even finnished. I am looking for jobs in Cardiff which is outside of their usual sphere but the trainers are very knowledgable and able to help.

I cannot recomend this course enough. You will learn things every day that you would not even think to teach yourself and meet some great people along the way.

• Alex • Software Developer • Graduate

Being on the Mayden Academy bootcamp is like being welcomed into a new family. The trainers go out of their way to make themselves available for anything you might need, from technical questions about the work to any personal struggles along the way. They hunt job sites for you, give advice on CVs, put you in a room with potential employers, and all this while teaching you the skills you need to make it as an entry-level software developer with a solid foundation to build a career.

The course was life-changing and some of the best fun I've had in my life. I'd highly recommend it to anyone unreservedly who might be considering a change in their lives; there's no chance you'll regret it.

• James
    - 10/2/2019
    James • Web Developer • Student

I applied to Mayden Academy because I was making a career change from Communications to development. I'd done some learning in my spare time but decided to kickstart my career change by taking a Bootcamp, specifically because even with the hardest work on my own, I couldn't get good first-hand experience of teamwork, or the benefit of teachers who have the knowledge to push me down the right paths and to build the confidence to make the leap into a new role.

The tutors are great - not only knowledgeable and skilled, but also good people who are good teachers with great ability to get across complex ideas.

The students in my cohort had a wide variety of skills - some people had a small amount of professional experience, some (like me) had done some amateur work and learning - and some had little to no prior experience. Everyone was able to contribute. The academy had obviously worked hard to build a good mix of people - we had a good gender mix, a variety of ethnic and nationality backgrounds which all enriched my experience there. This kind of atmosphere takes dedication and work to build and it's something the academy team have really done well.

The curriculum is really well honed to give you a set of skills that will get you a job - I was able to secure offers from 4 different companies after finishing the course - I put this down to the strength of the curriculum, combined with the CV help and tips on finding the right company from the course

• Exceptional
    - 9/16/2019
    Fred • Software Engineer • Graduate

Everything was absolutely brilliant. The quality of the teaching was fantastic, I felt completely supported and the environment was lovely with the academy situated in a beautiful building with a beautiful garden. The curriculum was really well designed to give us a sense of progress while building a solid foundation with which we could go in pretty much any direction, which they help you to do with all manner of help and advice in preparing CVs and playing the job market. Combining tuition with hands-on project work is one of the factors that made me decide on attending Mayden, and it proved really useful - not just for me, but each company I interviewed with were really pleased to see the things we'd created and to hear we'd been working with Scrum and getting experience of coding both individually and in teams.
    Furthermore, I feel the Academy fostered a warm, welcoming, community spirit. I really enjoyed every single day of my course and I miss it enormously!

• Ross Anderson • Student

I really enjoyed attending the Mayden Academy, the small class sizes allow for plenty of trainer support, so nobody gets left behind.

The trainers Mike, Sam and Charlie even offer optional out of hours sessions to revisit any topics students may be struggling with.

Theory is backed up with plenty of hands on coding and mini projects.

During project weeks your group work collaboratively as a development team. This was my first experience of coding as part of a team and cannot be replicated learning to code on your own as I had done previously.

The Academy prepared me to achieve my goal of becoming a full stack software engineer.

• Audrey • Fullstack developer • Graduate

I joined Mayden Academy after ~9 months of self-teaching. The full-time and condensed workload was so much more efficient in terms of learning fullstack development. I would highly recommend Mayden for it's knowledgable and patient instructors, post-course job-hunting resources and for the wonderful friends you make along the way!!

If you're serious about moving into development, no matter where you're currently at in your programming skills, it will save you so much time and money to do a condensed bootcamp like Mayden and get into a job quicker!

I was hired at a local Bath software company before I even graduated as Mayden has many contacts in industry and Mike and the team are great at putting you in front of the right people.

If you're considering joining Mayden, just do it!

• Awesome place
    - 6/5/2019
    Pete • Graduate

I had an awesome experience at Mayden Academy. The trainers are technically very good and have so much patience. They are brilliant at adapting their teaching methods to your needs - I've been to school, 6th form and univeristy and only worked-out my true "learning style" at the Academy.

Every student was a good egg and made it a lovely place to go every day. They continue to be very supportive after graduating.

If you are on the fence, go to Mayden Academy.

• Ariel Walker-Cochrane • Graduate

Deciding to do the full-stack track programme at Mayden Academy was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

This course was intensive, incredibly challenging and very comprehensive, everything I was looking for in a developer training course.

The teachers are really passionate and really patient which I appreciated, they had no problem going over things and explaining things multiple times.

The course was structured really well, with a good mix of theory and practical application. We worked in a scrum team and follow an agile methodology which mirrored the way software development teams work in industry as closely as possible.

Mayden Academy also engages with local industry to make sure that the curriculum they are teaching stays relevant and in keeping with what employers are looking for. This was really important to me as it meant that I knew what I was learning was valuable and useful.

I would recommend Mayden Academy and the full-stack track to anyone who is passionate about learning to code.

• Max Taylor • Graduate

I came to Mayden having worked in sales in marketing jobs for several years, and therefore was a complete beginner when it came to coding.

I really only have good things to say about my experience at Mayden, and would fully recommend it to anyone who is dedicated to becoming a developer.

The work is hard, and I probably found it harder than most others in the class. However, your teachers will fully support you and genuinely create an atmosphere where you feel no embarrassment in asking lots and lots of questions.

What you learn is of real value within the industry, which is great for getting work, and importantly with the right work ethic, you will start to really enjoy what you do.

The culture is an added bonus too. The class sizes are small, so you get to know everyone well and there is a friendly atmosphere from day 1 (with Mario Kart in the lounge if things get too stressful).

I would recommend going along and having a chat with Mike or Charlie on an open day to get a feel for the place yourself.

• Life changing
    - 1/10/2019
    Daniel Hopton • Junior Developer • Graduate

Mayden Academy was what I wanted my university experience to be.

Before I joined the course, I was stuck in job hunting limbo. I'd learned some programming in my spare time, but the self taught nature meant that I didn't have everything employers wanted in a junior developer. It was there that I learned about Mayden and the Full Stack Track.

The course is suitable for anyone an inclination to learn. In our cohort, we had a wide range of prior experience, from those who had done some programming previously to those who hadn't done any. No matter what your previous ability was Mike and Charlie will teach you everything you need to know, and fill in any gaps in your knowledge. The small class sizes ensure that if you are having trouble with a concept, your trainer can give you the support you need to understand it.

The main two programming languages taught on the course are PHP and JavaScript, but you'll be taught other technologies and frameworks such as Node and React. You'll also learn progamming concepts that are used throughout the industry, as well as developer practices such as Agile and Git. These will help you no matter what languages or technologies you go on to work with after you graduate.

The employment support is fantastic as well. Towards the end of the course, you'll take part in a CV and interview workshop, to help you nail down what employers and recruiters are looking for. You'll also be invited to an event where you'll meet with the Academy's many hiring partners. Further support and guidance is offered after the course ends, so you aren't left hanging in the cold in the event you're initially unsuccessful.

If you're thinking of going to University as your first step into a career, seriously consider this course instead. The overall cost is much cheaper (there is interest-free finance available, which you needn't pay back until you start work), you'll learn much more industry relevant content and you'll meet and make friends with lovely people along the way.

• Imogen Hallett • Student

I live in London and chose to temporarily relocate to Bath to enrol with Mayden Academy.  I relocated because I felt that the Mayden curriculum was much more relevant than any other training provider I had researched.

Specifically, the Mayden curriculum covers PHP, Node and Javascript frameworks (such as React and Vue).  As far as I am aware, no other intensive training provider covers this range of technologies (which are in high demand within industry).

The course itself was brilliant.  Everything we covered was introduced from basic principals before more advanced concepts were introduced.

Further, the support offered whilst looking for work has been amazing.

Finally, I was delighted to meet and work with such a great group of people.  Over the 16 weeks of the course we socialised and I made new friends.

It has been a great, well rounded experience. I highly recommend it.

• Rob Reeves • Graduate

A brilliant coding boot camp that gives you all the skills you need to become a software developer. Crucially, it focusses on replicating the professional environment as much as possible, this means 9-5 working days, sprint reviews and collaboration. Once you finish the course it's up to you what you want to do. Back end, front end or full-stack; It's your choice.

I could finish by saying that the course content has absolutely zero fat on it and is bang-on relevant but the real highlight for me has been the tuteledge from Mike and Charlie and just how much they care and the effort put into just about every aspect of the course. It is this that, for me, takes the course from being simply very good to absolutely great.

If you're looking for become a developer, I can't recommend this course enough.

iO Academy Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at iO Academy, 100% graduated. 100% of graduates were job-seeking and 100% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $24,000. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 23 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

Salaries in British Pounds, not USD