io-academy-logo

iO Academy

Bath, Online, Sheffield

iO Academy

iO Academy (previously Mayden Academy) is a 16-week, full-time, full-stack coding bootcamp with small class sizes in the UK and online. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for their first developer role, with a focus on practical experience working on projects throughout the course. There is an option to specialize at the end of the course, either in advanced front end or complex problem-solving. Students will learn from experienced software developers in class sizes of 8, chosen to reflect the size of an average software scrum team. This makes project work as close to a professional tech experience as possible.

The course was developed by healthtech company Mayden to be up-to-date with a focus on best practice and to reflect what is most needed in the tech industry. Students will receive scrum training and attain their Scrum Master Certification. No coding experience is required to apply. iO Academy has a goal of supporting diversity in tech and is positive about mental health.

Recent iO Academy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (80) reviews for iO Academy →

Recent iO Academy News

• The Full Stack Track

Cost£11,000
    LocationSheffield, Online, Bath
    Students will learn the fundamentals of coding, software design and project management.
    DepositOptional £150 refundable deposit for the use of a MacBook Pro
    Deferred payment is available with EdAid or Knoma. Borrow up to the full course fee and pay back later.
    ScholarshipA scholarship (the Diversitech Fund) for financial assistance for those underrepresented in the tech industry is available.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience required
    Prep WorkA basic introduction to programming prep course is provided to all successful applicants before joining the programme.
  • Jen  User Photo
    Jen • Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Long story short:

Despite being a recent graduate with a degree in Computing and IT, I didn’t feel at all prepared for my new career as a web developer.  After just a few short weeks in Mayden Academy, my PHP knowledge went from negligible to good enough to pass the Zend Certified PHP Engineer (ZCE) exam; by all accounts not an easy exam to pass.

After graduating from the Academy I was able to join my new team with a lot more confidence and the knowledge to contribute right from the start.

The less short story:

I joined Mayden Academy for the PHP, MVC & Frameworks and ZCE prep modules. I had a fantastic time and wish I had been able to do the whole course!

Each module was structured in two parts. First you’d learn theory and syntax, interspersed with practical exercises and talks from real developers. What struck me most was how relevant the course is; the materials evolve as technologies and the industry do. After a degree full of outdated materials, this was really refreshing! The insight from real developers was great too, you’d hear lots of anecdotal stories about how you can do X, Y, Z but in reality, most people just do A!

In the second week you’d work on a small team project, applying what you’d learnt over the previous week and prior modules. The great thing about this is that you would get to use tools such as Git, and would use an Agile methodology, so you weren’t just learning to code but all these other practical skills that go hand in hand with the reality of being a developer.

The whole culture of the Academy really suited me. Mike, the instructor, is really approachable and there was time each morning to reflect on what we’d learnt the previous day and to ask questions once we’d had the time to digest everything we’d heard. The other students were really enthusiastic and supportive.  Despite quite a diverse group of ages and backgrounds, you could just tell everyone wanted to be there and was passionate about their learning.

• Lucia V  User Photo
    Lucia V • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Why I chose this course: I dropped out of school without A-levels because I didn't think it could provide any more value to my future. I wanted to learn relevant job skills, fast, so that I could crack on with life and get a job I love. I wanted to be challenged, taught a lot to a high standard, with support for the "I don't get this at all" moments.
    The company that set up the Academy have very high internal standards and started Mayden Academy because they and the UK more developers, with the hope that the graduates would be as good as, or better than, the computer science university graduates that they employ as entry-level developers.
    Having met the instructors (real, current developers, not someone with theoretical or outdated knowledge) and discussed the pace of learning and the reasoning behind the course content I knew I would be set in good stead for a career from this course. After all, it was as important to Mayden Academy that I be a good developer as it is to me.

What the experience was like:
    - Conten and Delivery: As well as how to build and structure things, the content included knowledge on current best practices, why things work the way they do, a history of the internet and each of the languages as we covered them, brief introductions to old practices we might come across in the future and why we no longer use them, specialist guest lectures and discussions on modern tools we weren't using in the course (for lack of time or need). Mike gave balanced overviews of each topic and taught us how to figure things out on our own, too.
    - Tools: A special mention goes to the fact that all the tools provided were very good, we learnt to use them very effectively for a fast, personalised workflow.
    - Pace and Support: At one point Mike rewrote an entire lesson for us overnight when we didn't get it the first time. He always offered extra support on an individual or team level and continually responded to any feedback we gave him. He also helped me revise for our ZCE exam, gave us all advice when we acted as scrum masters, gave us career advice and at one point helped me solve with some interpersonal issues. Additionally the other developers in the building were always willing to help, they even helped us discover what we loved by teaching us more about their jobs. The nature of the scrum team also meant that we supported each other, we all wanted to help each other move towards our goal of becoming an excellent developer.
    - Atmosphere: We had been working in our team in the same way the developer teams around us worked, producing real work that was being submitted to the real world. I grew really close to my team and made great friends with the developers in the building. We came out feeling like software developers.

What I got out of it: In writing? I'm a certified scrum master and a zend certified engineer, which helps demonstrate the standard of my education. The experience I've gained in not just writing code but being a software developer shows through in the technical decisions I make and how I approach new problems, this has been invaluable in interviews.
    I'm now a scrum-master-slash-developer, I currently work in Typescript using the OOP structures I learnt on PHP. I keep learning every day and I'm a valuable resource to my company, providing robust applications and informed opinions.

TL;DR: I'm now a successful developer and scrum master, working effectively in a different language to the one I trained in, using the knowledge from the course daily. I loved the course, every minute of it, it was incredibly valuable to me. But I did get turned down from my first interview for being overqualified...

• Aimée  User Photo
    Aimée • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had an excellent experience at Mayden Academy and would heartily recommend it to anyone wanting to jump start a career in software development.

The course is equally divided between theoretical learning and practical projects, so that you get a good mix of real development experience, working as a scrum team to write entire applications to requirements and deadlines, along with a strong theoretical background to programming which can be transferred to other languages.

The curriculum is really relevant and engaging, and the academy instructor and guest lecturers tailor their teaching to your learning style, so it's also a very dynamic program. After trying to self-teach various programming languages over the last few years and struggling to get further than the very basics, I found that being taught in person by instructors with a wealth of experience is the best way to learn, and it definitely helps that everyone is really friendly!

You'll learn more in 16 weeks than you'll imagine is possible, and meet some amazing people along the way!

• Tom H • Junior Software Developer • Graduate
    TL, DR - Course good, got job. Believe the hype.

Prior to joining iO Academy (then Mayden Academy), I had no previous development experience other than a few HTML/CSS courses on freeCodeCamp. I'd been working in tech support/retail for longer than I would have liked and needed a change. I'd spent weeks trawling through forums, watching countless YouTube videos espousing (and demonising) bootcamps vs self taught vs university and reading reviews on websites like this one, and after weighing up my options, a bootcamp seemed like the best choice for me.

So, why iO?

• Small cohort sizes. The benefits of this in hindsight have been: more personal teaching, comradery/community and preparation for post-iO life.
    • Non-code stuff. Being familiar with Scrum and following the rituals of daily standups, sprint reviews, merge requests (etc) made the transition into my first developer role that much less daunting, and is a huge benefit over going the self-taught/university course route. You don't know to learn what you don't know!
    • Easy payment options. Not really having a nest egg to fall back on, the option to pay once employed was a huge plus. Being shorter than a transitional degre
    • Support finding a job. The academy Slack job's channel was incredibly hlpful during the search for my first role, and trainers really went above and beyond, helping with my CV, portfolio, tech interviews and just generaly being there for a chat if things were stressful.

Despite the difficulties incurred by Covid, the iO Academy team were nothing but outstanding and professional. The trainers are knowledgable, personable and managed to simultaneously make the single most intense course of my life into the most enjoyable one.

The term "life changing" is thrown around a lot, but this course truly is. Thanks again iO team!

Misc tips:

• Do as much of the pre-course work as possible. Familiarising yourself with some of the vocabulary used will make things easier later.
    • Ask for help when you need it (you will need it).
  • Helen • Graduate
    I have been ummming and arring for many years whether I should step into software development.  I was apprehensive about bootcamps in general but I do not regret joining and completing the iO Academy full stack development course.   Our coach Charlie is a great and has the patience for stupid questions!  We completed a number of team projects in an agile environment to get you prepared for the real world. We also had many talks from ex-students and also from engineers from Mayden which they are attached to.

My other advice is to make sure you cover all the pre-course requirements so that concepts are not so foreign when you join the cohort and keep adding projects to your portfolio along the way.
  • Marcus • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I honestly cannot recommend this course enough for people who want a career change like I did. It will give you the necessary skills and more to attain that first role and you will have a blast doing it!
  • Estera • Graduate
    Enrolling iO Academy was the best decision I have ever made. The curriculum and the teaching is very solid and the support received from Mike, head of the school, is surreal. Nothing was too much trouble for him and would help you with the questions at any time even after hours. The most important thing is that we all got job offers from various companies towards the end of the bootcamp. Many thanks iO Academy for helping me to achieve my dream!
  • Life changing
    - 8/11/2021
    Sam Steele • Graduate
    The course at iO Academy has enabled me to transition from a completely unrelated career into tech. Before the course I was an estate agent and had very little coding experience - 5 months later and I have received multiple job offers from really exciting companies. Something I never thought possible beforehand. If you are worried that you may not have any relevant experience, or your technical skills aren't up to scratch, then don't be. This is what you are paying for - and iO will bring you up to speed. Companies you interview for after the course care about your passion, enthusiasm and current skills far more than previous employment.

The curriculum is curated to give you a solid foundation from which to specialise further. It also caters to different skill levels and the trainers manage to keep those more advanced busy by supplying them with 'stretch goals'. You are exposed to a multitude of different technologies encompassing the full web-development life cycle. This means that you discover more about what you enjoy and the type of position you might choose after the course. In one interview I had, the interviewer mentioned that he was impressed by how much the course covered. The certified Scrum Master certification is a huge competitive advantage as many companies adopt agile methodologies.

The best part about the course though is the people, both trainers and fellow students. Firstly, your fellow students will go through the same meticulous process as you and this ensures that everybody has similar aspirations, despite coming from wildly different backgrounds. This creates a really fun, tight-knit group of people who are wishing for each other to succeed and will continue to be friends long after the course.

Secondly, the trainers are all fantastic and are desperate for you to succeed. I was lucky enough to have Charlie for my course who completely made the experience for all of us. He was so welcoming, knowledgeable and encouraging and immediately put us all at ease. The type of bloke who is hard not to like and you want to go for a few pints with. Since the course has finished, he's helped me with job applications etc and really gone above and beyond. We were also lucky enough to be taught by Ash and Rayna and different stages of the course who were amazing and managed to fill Charlie's big shoes. Shout out also to Margaret and Sophie who helped with everything from the onboarding process to editing my CV.

Overall, an incredible opportunity which will genuinely change your career trajectory in a matter of months. The 4 months is intense, but you will make friendships and massively improve your technical skills. Afterwards, the world's your oyster.

• Full-stack course
    - 7/23/2021
    Maria • Junior Software Developer
    I found IO Academy's curriculum and teaching to be very solid, helping me gain a good conceptual and working understanding of the development process from start to finish. Our trainer, Ash, was extremely patient and clear at every step - no question felt to silly to ask - and he created a very comfortable atmosphere in which to learn and flourish.
  • Katy • Graduate
    This was the biggest thing I have committed to in my life so far, and I would do it all again. Coming from a career unrelated to the software developer industry I thought I would be unteachable, but I was wrong. Applying to iO Academy was the best decision I've made, not only did I learn amazing languages & skills, I met fantastic people. The trainers all have insane knowledge and they give so much of their time & commitment to us. The reviews I read before & after applying confirmed for me this was 100% the right decision, so I hope my review also helps others in my position. This was so much fun, if you are considering iO Academy you will not regret your choice. Thank you to all the trainers & staff at iO Academy.
  • Excellent Support
    - 5/17/2021
    Harry
    Overall iO boto camp course was excellent,  they offered an incredibly well-structured curriculum that always kept an eye on employability and real-world skills.  Weekly guest lectures gave a sense of the breadth of employment possibilities and project weeks gave a real sense of working on existing codebases and delivering the product within the scrum framework.
    A slight overfocus on front end web development stuff and we didn't get onto the exciting React stuff until right at the end but other wise perfect.
    during the course I had an accident that required emergency spinal surgery that meant I took a couple of weeks off to recover. After this, Mike the head of the school, gave me one on one tuition to get me back up to speed. I felt this went above and beyond in terms of student support and made finishing the course despite my accident possible. Incredible levels of care and attention paid to students.
  • Waseem • Software Developer • Graduate
    The curriculum at iO academy is extremely well curated and constantly tweaked to provide students with the most demanded practical skills in industry. It is structured in such a way that enables even a complete novice like myself, to build fundamental skills quickly. Despite covering A LOT of ground in 16 weeks, it also dives deep enough into concepts to allow a necessary understanding - a balance well struck.

The course is a blend of theory and project weeks where you will predominantly complete group projects in a Scrum team. These sprints conclude with sprint reviews, allowing the whole team to present their work to sometimes over 30 people. This aspect of the course helps to supplement the scrum master certification - CSM training (included in the course) with the practical experience of implementing Agile methodologies.

One of the defining features of the iO experience is that one instructor will lead your tuition throughout the course. I found that this really helped me to build good rapport with not only the tutor, but with classmates too, as it creates familiarity, trust and continuity within the group interactions throughout. The strong relationships built allowed me to feel comfortable asking what I thought could seem like ‘stupid questions’ (never the case - always important to ask). In fact we were constantly encouraged and challenged with daily recaps to ensure that all students really did understand concepts before we moved on. The patient and thorough answers to my ‘stupid questions’ were definitely moments of key learning when the ‘penny dropped’ and concepts clicked into place.

There are also guest lectures throughout to mix up the learning experience, definitely another well thought out feature of the course.

Job assistance
    There is a dedicated day towards the latter part of the course to help ready students to apply for jobs. It covers everything from cv/covering letter workshop, getting your portfolio up to scratch and hosted on their servers, to what to expect during the different stages of application processes. There is ongoing assistance to help you make the strongest applications and to put you in the best position to find a job.

iO host hiring evenings where they invite hiring partners to meet you, creating a semi-formal opportunity for you to get in front of employers and ask them questions about the company and positions.

There is also a constant feed of filtered jobs aggregated from various job boards as well as pre-advertised job opportunities passed on through the vast network of alumni and tutors. The positions are always screened for relevance to iO grad experience levels and offer a reliable source of opportunity without the overload of hundreds of non-relevant postings, often found on job boards.

I managed to secure a job with a competitive salary within the 1st week of graduating from iO! Testament to the world class bootcamp experience you can expect from iO.

Overall experience
    I cannot fault iO. The value for money/return on investment outstrips any other educational experience by a long shot. The genuine culture of support and encouragement, as well as inclusivity is the perfect environment for anyone who wants to kick start a successful career in tech.

I would and HAVE recommended the course to my nearest and dearest!

iO Academy Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at iO Academy, 100% graduated. 97% of graduates were job-seeking and 82% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $25,300. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 38 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

More information about our reporting and a detailed report can be found here:
Salary recorded in UK GBP, not US dollars