io-academy-logo

iO Academy

Bath, Online, Sheffield

iO Academy

iO Academy (previously Mayden Academy) is a 16-week, full-time, full-stack coding bootcamp with small class sizes in the UK and online. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for their first developer role, with a focus on practical experience working on projects throughout the course. There is an option to specialize at the end of the course, either in advanced front end or complex problem-solving. Students will learn from experienced software developers in class sizes of 8, chosen to reflect the size of an average software scrum team. This makes project work as close to a professional tech experience as possible.

The course was developed by healthtech company Mayden to be up-to-date with a focus on best practice and to reflect what is most needed in the tech industry. Students will receive scrum training and attain their Scrum Master Certification. No coding experience is required to apply. iO Academy has a goal of supporting diversity in tech and is positive about mental health.

Recent iO Academy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (69) reviews for iO Academy →

Recent iO Academy News

• The Full Stack Track

Cost£11,000
    LocationSheffield, Online, Bath
    Students will learn the fundamentals of coding, software design and project management.
    DepositOptional £150 refundable deposit for the use of a MacBook Pro
    Deferred payment is available with EdAid or Knoma. Borrow up to the full course fee and pay back later.
    ScholarshipA scholarship (the Diversitech Fund) for financial assistance for those underrepresented in the tech industry is available.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience required
    Prep WorkA basic introduction to programming prep course is provided to all successful applicants before joining the programme.
  • Fantastic Course
    - 6/22/2021
    Matt W-R  User Photo
    Matt W-R • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The Full Stack Track really gives you a an applied & focussed learning experience, providing you with all the tools needed to become a software developer. They teach you important principles to guide you to writing professional code, introduce you to important & modern frameworks & importantly help you learn the necessary soft skills for being a great dev team member. Everyone picks up the content/skills very fast due to the well designed course & the patient, knowledgable & friendly trainers. If the cost looks like a lot to you, please know that you will get your money's worth through the 9-5 attention of your team's trainer, the extra assistance in preparing yourself for job-seeking & the numerous guest lectures you will receive on a myriad of related topics.
  • Full Stack Track
    - 6/21/2021
    Nathaniel  User Photo
    Nathaniel • Student Verified via GitHub
    Enrolling in the iO Academy Full Stack Track is one of the best decisions I've made. I couldn't have felt more supported over the past 16 weeks by the team at iO and highly recommend to anyone looking to start a career as a developer.
  • Full Stack Track
    - 6/21/2021
    Kashif  User Photo
    Kashif • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Enrolling at iO academy was the best thing I have ever done. The teaching is great with ample support for all students. No question was too stupid, personally, I was struggling in a particular area and my teacher Ash made me exercises privately that I could work on in my own time which helped me a lot. We also had a lot of help with CV's and how to prepare for an interview.
    All in all, I highly recommend this course.
  • Isabella  User Photo
    Isabella • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The teaching at iO Academy is truly superb. The content builds very clearly and the instructors are fantastic at adapting to the skill level and competency of each student. The instructors really take the time to explain concepts to you so you at no point feel left behind. As part of the bootcamp there is support with CV writing and interview preparation and the post-graduation support was also incredible. I am so grateful for everything iO Academy has done for me.
  • Best Decision!
    - 1/13/2021
    Ellie  User Photo
    Ellie • Verified via LinkedIn
    If you're debating joining iO Academy, do it! it's the best decision I've ever made. The training and support is great and they really help prepare you for your first role as a developer. And the support continues even after finishing the course, helping with any coding problems and searching for jobs.
    I started the course in person and after a few weeks got moved to being remote which I was dreading but it was actually even easier than in person.
    Can't recommend the academy enough! I got a job a week after graduating and am excited to begin my career as a developer.
  • Josh  User Photo
    Josh • Junior Developer • Verified via LinkedIn
    I can't thank iO Academy enough, the training is first class and the support is incredible. We had to switch from in person too remote during the course and even this was handled so professionally. In many ways it actually helped prepare us for the current workplace environment. If you're looking for a coding course that prepares you for the workplace, then this is really the one to do.
  • Jess T  User Photo
    Jess T • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     Having been a stay at home mum for 5 years with absolutely no coding experience at all, I strangely decided that software development was for me and applied for iO academy.

I am incredibly glad that I made that odd choice, because it turns out that not only is coding great fun, but I couldn’t have chosen a better place to be trained up. The content was great and has set me in good-stead to be taking on my first technical role with technologies that are relevant. The trainers were absolutely brilliant - patient, helpful and all round good eggs, and didn’t mind answering all my very basic questions. I generally felt incredibly supported and like being part of a really close-knit team.

The on-going support after the course has been wonderful as well, with help offered searching for jobs, getting in touch with recruiters and keeping up practicing skills.

Overall, I could not recommend iO Academy enough. It was a great experience and I now have a whole new career ahead of me with skills that I had never even heard of 4 months ago! Can’t be bad.
  • Jenny A-T  User Photo
    Jenny A-T • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I left my job in Sept 2020 (in the middle of Covid... perhaps not the soundest decision but it turned out very well!) to attend iO (or Mayden Academy, as it was named at that point. The name changed, nothing else!).

Before iO: I did some research on coding generally, some short courses on Codecademy, some of the free tester sessions you can find online. I wanted to be as sure as I could be that I actually would *like* coding - nothing I saw put me off, so I started researching bootcamps in my area. I was optimistic that I would be able to find one I could attend in person (at this point we were in between lockdowns, it was summer and it sort of felt like that would be feasible... yeah, I know). Anyway I did a lot of reading reviews, lots of digging into old blogs and so on, and I interviewed at two bootcamps. I already had iO pegged as my favourite and the interview confirmed it. There was also an entrance "test" - I got really hung up on this beforehand but would reassure anyone reading not to get too worried. It's not the kind of test you can revise for, and if you're the kind of nerd who's considering a coding bootcamp, you're probably going to find it fun. I took it online, in my own time, and had my face-to-face informal interview later.

During iO: We did actually start in person, which was really nice. We were masked and behind plexiglass, but still. We moved to remote working in week 4, I think. I was worried about it but honestly it was actually really easy, and working in pairs over zoom is actually much more intuitive than working in pairs through plexiglass..! So if your cohort look like they're going to be fully remote, don't worry.
    The course is intense. It is fast, and if you've been out of education for a while, like I had been, it might take some getting used to! I would advise you to do any and all of the prep work you get sent beforehand (I did it for about half an hour an evening for a month or so beforehand, just to get to grips with things). You do a week or two of theory, followed by a project week. The first couple of projects are solo (you can obviously ask for help and so on, but what you make is personal to you), and then the rest are group based. Programming in a group was probably the biggest learning curve for me; it was so not what  I was used to, but by the end our final project was something none of us could have achieved by ourselves, and we were all really proud. There are well-timed talks throughout the course from people in industry; these range from broad overviews of how certain companies work to fairly in-depth looks at how certain software works. Lots of the speakers are ex-students and it's really nice to see them and how happy they are in their work.

After iO: Well, I'm only just after iO now, and I start my new job in two days! I had a few interviews during the final couple of weeks and the role I have accepted is a Masters degree apprenticeship - I do not have a computer science degree, I have a very doddery Film & Media degree from the dark ages, but in a couple of years I will be a software engineer with a masters degree! It would have been unthinkable to me this time last year, I'm thrilled. iO have lots of hiring partners within Bath / Bristol, and they will introduce you to whoever is hiring at the time you graduate. We graduated at Christmas, during covid lockdown, during a time when it is really hard to get work, and still had a handful of partners keen to interview us.

Other notes? There were eight people in my class. We were all totally different in terms of learning styles; and all of us were accomodated. The size of the team means you get to know each other well and you get to learn how to work effectively with people who have different styles to you. It also means your tutor can take the time to give you each the individual support you need.
  • So sad to leave
    - 6/23/2020
    Max Granger  User Photo
    Max Granger • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Excellent course with dedicated and helpful trainers. Even the switch to remote learning due to COVID-19 was seamless and the course retained its high standards. The whole team really goes above and beyond to help the students in any way necessary from learning to job hunting.
  • Changed my life!
    - 6/22/2020
    Sam Crudge  User Photo
    Sam Crudge • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This course gives you all the support and guidance to help shape you into a developer that will stand out. You're paying to be taught how to think like a developer not just the fundamentals of the languages.

We had to move Remote shortly after starting due to the epidemic but they showered us in support and made sure all our educational needs were met.

I would and have given recommendations to friends and family.
  • Robin  User Photo
    Robin • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I had a great time at Mayden Academy. The content is excellent, the staff and students are friendly, and the course is set up in such a way as to give you a good idea of what it is really like in a dev job.  The general principles of software writing are covered so that you don't have to fear learning other programming languages.
  • Harry Coulton  User Photo
    Harry Coulton • Full-Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    So when I read all of these reviews, I honestly thought that this place sounded like some weird cult, that people were being overly effusive, and I was interested but pretty sceptical. I was definitely wrong.

This course was one of the best experiences of my life. The teaching quality is high, the course is incredibly well thought out, and the pacing is perfect.

Before I go into more detail, I'll give you a brief outline of who I am and where I am now:

• Previously worked 'management' roles in the charity sector (read: glorified admin)
    • Terrible at maths, dyslexic, with no background in STEM subjects. My A levels were in Russian, English Lit, and Politics
    • Did modern languages at uni and was planning to be a lawyer

I decided to go into coding as I was looking for a profession which would offer the flexibility that I wanted, the modern working practices that I'd hear so much about, and (most importantly) intellectually stimulating work with continuous learning.

Now I'm a full-stack developer working at a robotics start-up, doing mostly web dev stuff but with a sprinkling of robotics programming. I earn 27k and the whole thing of doing the course was generally a great success.

Don't be put off by lacking a background in STEM, code, or anything. If you're switched on, enjoy solving problems, and like to learn, then apply. You will not regret it.

The Course:

• Fast-paced: The pace is tough. You can get away without doing homework, but my recommendation is to get your head down and work a bit in your evenings - you will get out what you put in.
    • You start with the basics, HTML and CSS. The people who turned up not knowing the basics of these struggled more than those who did. Go on freecodecamp and get to grips with the fundamentals to get a nice head start. You'll thank yourself.
    • You'll move onto some more complex principles, as you start with your first programming language: PHP. This part of the course will make you think that you're an idiot and have no place trying to be a user of computers, and that you should crawl into a little hovel and weep. That's normal, you'll get over it, and you'll be laughing about how hard you found it within a week or two.
    • You'll then move onto Javascript. You'll find this a lot easier than PHP, as you will understand the fundamentals of programming. It all gets better from here on out... as you won't do any new languages, and rather develop what knowledge you've gained.

The course is structured with 1 week's learning, and 1 week's project, on an on/off basis. It works really well and helps you to consolidate your knowledge.

By the end of the course, you won't recognise yourself. You'll be a pro coder, ready to enter the world of work!

The teachers:

• Mike: Great teacher, great guy, questionable sense of humour. If you're lucky enough to be taught by Mike then you'll be a happy bunny. Basically half man, half computer, half smiles. 1.5 of a person.
    • Charlie: Fantastic teacher, his class is good fun. You'll get on with him if you like: jokes, nintendo, jokes.
    • Ash: Probably my fave, he was in training on my course and I had the pleasure of being taught by him. Great teacher, man is an encyclopaedia of code.

My experience:

Overall, my experience was amazing. I had a great time, made some good friends, and for the first time in a long time, wanted to work hard. I actually felt a bit sad on Fridays, which is a first. I would also feel knackered. No word of a lie - you will be tired. You will work so hard, melt your brain a few times, and probably have the odd cry. That's fine and normal.

The teachers are so supportive, and they only let people in who are nice. You'll be in good hands, and I feel like it was worth more than my entire degree.

Bells and whistles:

• Professional photos for your linkedin/portfolio, etc. etc. Generally pretty useful and a great touch.
    • Scrum Master training: You'll learn to work in an agile fashion, and this experience is priceless.
    • Free toast! But don't take the piss.

My verdict: worth the money

DO IT

iO Academy Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at iO Academy, 100% graduated. 97% of graduates were job-seeking and 82% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $25,300. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 38 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

More information about our reporting and a detailed report can be found here:
Salary recorded in UK GBP, not US dollars