io-academy-logo

iO Academy

Bath, Bristol, Online, Sheffield

iO Academy

iO Academy is a coding bootcamp based in the UK that offers a 16-week, full-time, full stack coding bootcamp and a 12-week, part-time data science & machine learning bootcamp. These bootcamps are available online or in-person at campuses in Bath, Bristol, and Sheffield. Class sizes at iO Academy are kept small in order to better support students. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for their first developer or data science role, with a focus on practical experience working on projects throughout the course. There is an option to specialize at the end of the full stack course, either in advanced front end or complex problem-solving. Students will learn from experienced tech professionals, chosen to reflect the size of an average software scrum team. This makes project work as close to a professional tech experience as possible.

The course was developed by healthtech company Mayden to be up-to-date with a focus on best practice and to reflect what is most needed in the tech industry. Students will receive scrum training and attain their Scrum Master Certification. No coding experience is required to apply. iO Academy has a goal of supporting diversity in tech and is positive about mental health.

iO Academy was formerly known as Mayden Academy.

Recent iO Academy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (86) reviews for iO Academy →

Recent iO Academy News

• Data Science and Machine Learning

Cost£4,000
    After covering an initial intro to Python, the course focus for the first six weeks is statistics and data science, followed by the second six weeks which focuses on machine learning and more advanced topics.
    Deferred payment is available with Knoma. Borrow up to the full course fee and pay back later.
    ScholarshipA scholarship (the Diversitech Fund) for financial assistance for those underrepresented in the tech industry is available.
    Minimum Skill LevelJunior software developers through to experienced, senior developers.
  • The Full Stack Track

Cost£11,000
    LocationBath, Online, Sheffield
    Students will learn the fundamentals of coding, software design and project management.
    DepositOptional £150 refundable deposit for the use of a MacBook Pro
    Deferred payment is available with EdAid or Knoma. Borrow up to the full course fee and pay back later.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience required
    Prep WorkA basic introduction to programming prep course is provided to all successful applicants before joining the programme.
  • Amazing experience
    - 5/22/2022
    Luke G  User Photo
    Luke G • Graduate Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    When I quit my job to attend iO Academy, it felt like a huge, scary gamble. On reflection, I had nothing to worry about! By the end of the first week, not only had I learned a lot, I was confident that I was completing a well thought out and comprehensive syllabus.

Before starting the Full Stack Track, I presumed that if I wanted to graduate and get a job, I would have to learn everything there was to know about coding. The reality is that software development is an ever-expanding field, and no single developer knows everything there is to know. The important thing is that you leave iO Academy with strong fundamental knowledge in the areas that matter, and have the confidence to tackle new languages/frameworks/methodologies.

Further than just a great syllabus, I made some wonderful friends along the way, and enjoyed commuting to Bath to such a relaxed, positive, and supportive environment every day.

On my final day at iO Academy, I accepted a job offer as a Graduate Software Developer at a local Healthcare tech company. I will be writing in C# and using the .NET framework, neither of which I know anything about yet (at the time of writing, I start my role in 2 weeks' time). Thanks to the trainers at iO Academy, I feel confident that I will pick up these technologies; many coding skills are transferable between languages, not to mention the ongoing support of the academy alumni group chat.

I can't recommend iO Academy enough. If you're thinking of taking that leap of faith... do it!
  • Grace Palacz  User Photo
    Grace Palacz • Junior Frontend Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Don't hesitate to apply for the Full Stack Track course at iO Academy! It really was a life changing 16 weeks for me.

I was a successful graphic designer for mainly food and drink packaging for 6 years prior to starting the course. I loved design and I always will have an appreciation for it but I was starting to think that something I decided on doing at age 17 (more than 10 years ago without giving away my age ;) ) wasn't necessarily what I wanted to do for the rest of my career. After talking to a couple of iO Academy alumni (one of whom also used to be a designer) I was convinced that this course was the right thing to do. I honestly didn't research any other bootcamps other than iO Academy because I thought the curriculum looked fantastic and I really enjoyed the online taster session. Another big plus for me was the fact that I could study in person at the beautiful Bath campus as I knew I would get more out of in-person teaching.

I was in a cohort of 7 people including myself which was perfect. A small class size meant that we could work as if we were a real-life dev team, collaborating and learning from each other. It also meant that we each had a lot of attention from our trainer (Charlie) and could ask as many questions as we could! Charlie was a brilliant trainer. He made sure that everyone felt comfortable and gave us as much help as we needed. I was really struggling to understand a concept in week 3 and he was really patient with me, using physical objects, pictures and relatable metaphors to explain it to me in a way that suited my learning style.

The content of the course was really well thought out, with normally a week of theory and then a project week where we initially worked solo and then worked together as a team using the scrum agile methodology. This meant that we could get to grips with new concepts and then put them into practice making projects that we could then show off on our portfolio sites (which we built in week 2). I can't believe that in January I had no idea was the command line was and now I'm using it every day in my job!

The course is constantly evolving with feedback from the students and industry experts to keep it up to date and relevant to the industry, ensuring that we were all as prepared as we could be to get jobs at the end. We got loads of help with developer-specific CV writing, cover letters and creating our portfolio sites which was better than any career advice or help I've ever had before! Another big plus for iO Academy is the hiring partner event. The Academy has relationships with many tech companies in the South West, and we had about 10 that came to an in-person evening networking event. This actually resulted in me landing my first job as a developer 2 weeks before the end of the course! I am now 2 weeks into my job and really loving it.

The full stack track course at iO Academy was worth every penny for me and in many ways surpasses my (much more expensive) 3 year degree. It was challenging in a good way, very fun and I will look back on it as a huge positive turning point in my life.

- 5/19/2022
    Maxwell Newton  User Photo
    Maxwell Newton • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I've broken my review down into four parts below which represent my journey through the academy. Before I dive into that please allow me to provide some background. I left a successful 10 year career to attend the 'Full Stack Track' which commenced in Jan 2022. My trainer was Rayna.

Why I chose iO Academy
    I relocated to attend the course and therefore bootcamp options across the country were open to me. My finalists were:
    • Makers Academy in London
    • Nology in Bristol
    • iO Academy in Bath
    The selection was partly skewed southwest given I ultimately wanted to work in Bristol. Here are the reasons iO was my first choice:

1. Small classes and fully taught in person. Small classes are a big plus. There were only 6 people (including me) in my class meaning that every student had a substantial amount of one-on-one attention. People learn at different rates, there will be topics and principles that come easy to some but required a different perspective for others. All bootcamps move at a tremendous pace and you cannot afford to get behind as future principles build on what you've already been taught. The extra time from trainers in a small class mean that everyone keeps up. The other benefit is that it's less daunting to put your hand up and say you don't understand in front of a smaller group. There's more time for questions, less pressure to understand first time and it's easier to get to know your class.
      I'm sure as the pandemic passes other courses will return to being in person, but at the time iO was the only course in the country offering 100% in person attendance. Unfortunately one of our class caught covid and we worked from home for a week which reassured the decision to attend an in-person course. You miss the buzz, discussions and corridor chats that lead to moments of brilliance.

2. The curriculum and teaching. I've made it my responsibility over the years to constantly learn and attend training in the various roles I've had throughout my career. I attended a good university with world class experts in their fields. I say this to provide context when I say that the structure of the curriculum and the teaching is some of the best (if not the best I've received). The course directors take frequent structured feedback from students, teachers and industry. The modules are constantly evolving to improve the student experience and final employability. It's very evident how advanced the teaching and structure has become and the course has a beautiful flow to it. iO's course is slightly longer (and more expensive!) than other courses but this extra time gives you a chance to shake off some of your imposter syndrome and let the theory sink in a littler deeper.

3. Putting the theory into practice. In general you have a week of theory and then a project week to put it into practice. Projects follow scrum principles and by the end of the course you have a very good feel of what working in a real dev team will be like. You will write on average 5-7k words in the theory weeks and they will feel like a bit of a whirlwind but the project weeks give you a chance to put them to good use. In doing so you will consolidate the knowledge and start to feel confidence in brandishing your new skills. These were such an important part of learning and when a lot of the gains in knowledge are made. They are also good fun! The academy have designed the projects well, they bring the team together and teach you more than just the theory. A good part of being a developer is learning how to communicate effectively both in the written form (eg code reviews) and in person (eg pair programming).

4. Getting a job. The reason we're all here! The academy have a good name among organisations in the south west. They have a list of companies they have vetted which forms their 'hiring partners'. Towards the end of your course the academy plan a hiring partner event where your details are passed to the partners and all are gathered for drinks and an evening to get to know each other. The event I attended may have been unusual but there were more jobs on offer than grads attending. The course fully support you in creating a portfolio of impressive projects (for a grad level dev) and in creating a tech CV. The percentage of students who get hired from iO was the highest out of any bootcamp at the time I reviewed them.

It's a huge leap of faith to take on the financial and social responsibility of attending a boot camp. iO Academy will hold your hand and if you're serious about becoming a dev they will help you achieve that goal. Every member of the team has genuine care and attention for the students and my experience far exceeded my expectations. I can happily report that I was able to secure an excellent role before finishing the course.
  • Charlotte  User Photo
    Charlotte • Junior Frontend Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I’ve recently completed the full stack track course at iO Academy and it has genuinely been an amazing academic experience. Having quite my job in the events industry and spending a lot of time researching bootcamps, I made the decision to apply to iO and began the course in January 2022.

The course content is so well thought out and the balance of theory to projects helped solidify learning throughout the process. There was so many occasions where myself and my classmates would joke about how the order of the course content almost seemed to be intentional - which of course it was.

The support from the trainers overall was excellent, especially Rayna who was my trainer.  She ensured we had amazingly detailed notes that I’m sure I’ll continue to use as I start my dev career and was super supportive and reassuring throughout the entire process.

Before even finishing the academy, I had already had multiple interviews and a job offer. Followed by a further 2 job offers the week following - and I’ll be starting my new job next week (2 weeks after finishing the course).

I honestly can’t recommend iO Academy enough!
  • Xandice  User Photo
    Xandice • Junior Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Like many people, over the last year I decided I wanted to re-train and do something that felt more stimulating and challenging. I've spent most of my working life being the unofficial resident tech support person, so it seemed a natural progression to formalise things and actually learn what makes the internet work.

I quit my job in February and was accepted into iO Academy with a scholarship to complete their four month Full Stack Track course. I had an incredible time learning the ropes with my remote scrum team (the Mountain Goats) and am so grateful to all of the trainers and staff who made 8 hours of Zoom a day feel like a breeze!

The academy teaches the fundamentals of programming which means that I have the confidence and knowledge to apply this learning to any languages that weren't covered on the course. The curriculum is comprehensive, there were plenty of challenges and stretch goals, and the balance between theory and project work kept things interesting.

Overall, I would encourage anyone considering applying to a coding bootcamp to give iO a go!
    - 9/22/2021
    Alicja Zubel  User Photo
    Alicja Zubel • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Absolutely fantastic. From amazing teachers and supporters to outstanding and indepth content. I couldn't believe how much I have learnt within 16 weeks and how far I have come. My tutor was incredible and very knowledable and he is still available to answer any questions I might have, help out or just give me a boost of confidence when needed. The course provided me with a knowledge that gave me a strong foundation to build my career upon.
    The course was very intense and coding focused, so I would recommend it to anyone who is sure that being a software engineer is what they want to do (even with no previous experience).
  • Great bootcamp!
    - 9/17/2021
    Sobia  User Photo
    Sobia • Junior Full Stack Engineer Verified via GitHub
    Ash was the best teacher I could ask for! The bootcamp was great. The curriculum was the best I could find personally, and I was pleased to get in and learn so much. I really appreciate the time and effort put into their online classes to make the experience great. The format of 8 per class is ideal too. I found the duration of the bootcamp great too, as 16 weeks didn't feel too long or too short to prepare us for our next stages in our careers. Many thanks iO Academy and Mike too!
  • Alex Ferreira  User Photo
    Alex Ferreira • PHP web developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    After 14yo in the music industry I decided to take a massif step in my life by continuing an old dream of mine, Which was to become a software engineer.
    iO Academy Helped me archiving that goal with an incredible support and kindness.
    I got offer 4 jobs before the end of the school and got the chance to pick and choose ! So technically the school help me to get a job in 15 weeks out of the 16 weeks of school !
    If you are like me and want to change your life around and start a career in web development do not think twice !
    At first glance the school seems very expensive but if you start to do some research you will quickly realise that iO offer on of the best Curriculum concerning full stack development.
    Regarding the fees there is funding available, the size of the class is perfect 8 peoples maximum, which for me this was one of the main point.
    8 peoples in a class allow you to get to know everyone and the more important the teacher is not overwhelm by 20 student and can then focus on each of the student.
    The curriculum is fantastic, the school make you aware of old way of doing thing but for the big part your are learning the industry standard of nowadays.

Do not be afraid to make the big jump with them you will not regret it  !
  • Best Decision!
    - 9/8/2021
    Alina Neculai  User Photo
    Alina Neculai • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I’ve always dreamed of having technical skills and becoming a developer. I wasn’t sure how and where to start until I found out about iO Academy and decided to join the bootcamp. It was the best decision I’ve ever made!

You cannot believe how many things you can learn in such a short period of time (especially when you have amazing trainers but more on that later).The curriculum Is really well structured and it helps you build a solid foundation. The focus isn’t placed on learning a particular programming language (even though you pick up quite a few during the bootcamp) but more on logical thinking and understanding how to write best practice code regardless of the language used. Having a good understanding of the fundamentals puts you in a great position pick up other languages in the future.The course combines theory with project weeks where we worked as a group, following agile methodologies to complete awesome projects. Working as part of a team you also get a chance to develop your soft skills and learn how to collaborate with different people.The best part of the course is the people and building a bond with others going through the same journey. The trainers, students and everybody involved with iO Academy is really nice.Our trainer was Mike and he was the best trainer that I could have ever asked for. He was very supportive, always explaining things in a way that would make sense to you. Even after hours he was replying to any questions I had and was always there for us whenever we had down moments or doubting ourselves, offering reassurance and building our confidence.We also met Charlie, Ash and Neal who are some of the other trainers at iO and all of them were really nice and incredibly helpful.The support we received was not limited to the technical side. We had a lot of help with our job applications including writing CVs, cover letters, how to prepare for an interview and what are some of the challenges that come up during an interview.In the final week of the bootcamp I had numerous interviews and in the week after finishing the bootcamp I had already received a job offer.For me the iO Academy bootcamp was the best experience of my life and I’ll always be grateful because it helped me get my dream job. The only bad thing about the bootcamp is that it comes to an end!
  • Lucy  User Photo
    Lucy • Junior Full Stack Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I looked at quite a few bootcamps before deciding on iO Academy; the two main reasons were the size of the classes (8 people) and a shining recommendation from someone who went there and whose opinion I trusted. It was a slight risk because I live in London and imagined that any connections made in the industry afterwards might all be based in Bath and be less useful for me, however I now know it was a risk worth taking.

The support at iO is amazing; Mike is a fountain of knowledge and there's a real community spirit to everything that's done (which is no mean feat considering our cohort were fully remote!). The only thing I would have liked to have done differently is to have done it in person, so if you get the opportunity to do this go for it.

In terms of job prospects, I had around 5 interviews before the course was even complete, which culminated in two job offers and I'm now starting my first job as a junior developer 2 weeks after graduating.

If you like small family vibes with genuinely good quality, conscious teaching then this is the place for you.

• Fantastic Course
    - 6/22/2021
    Matt W-R  User Photo
    Matt W-R • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The Full Stack Track really gives you a an applied & focussed learning experience, providing you with all the tools needed to become a software developer. They teach you important principles to guide you to writing professional code, introduce you to important & modern frameworks & importantly help you learn the necessary soft skills for being a great dev team member. Everyone picks up the content/skills very fast due to the well designed course & the patient, knowledgable & friendly trainers. If the cost looks like a lot to you, please know that you will get your money's worth through the 9-5 attention of your team's trainer, the extra assistance in preparing yourself for job-seeking & the numerous guest lectures you will receive on a myriad of related topics.
    - 6/21/2021
    Nathaniel  User Photo
    Nathaniel • Student Verified via GitHub
    Enrolling in the iO Academy Full Stack Track is one of the best decisions I've made. I couldn't have felt more supported over the past 16 weeks by the team at iO and highly recommend to anyone looking to start a career as a developer.

iO Academy Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at iO Academy, 100% graduated. 97% of graduates were job-seeking and 82% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $25,300. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 38 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

More information about our reporting and a detailed report can be found here:
Salary recorded in UK GBP, not US dollars