io-academy-logo

iO Academy

Bath, Online, Sheffield

iO Academy

iO Academy (previously Mayden Academy) is a 16-week, full-time, full-stack coding bootcamp with small class sizes in the UK and online. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for their first developer role, with a focus on practical experience working on projects throughout the course. There is an option to specialize at the end of the course, either in advanced front end or complex problem-solving. Students will learn from experienced software developers in class sizes of 8, chosen to reflect the size of an average software scrum team. This makes project work as close to a professional tech experience as possible.

The course was developed by healthtech company Mayden to be up-to-date with a focus on best practice and to reflect what is most needed in the tech industry. Students will receive scrum training and attain their Scrum Master Certification. No coding experience is required to apply. iO Academy has a goal of supporting diversity in tech and is positive about mental health.

Recent iO Academy Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (79) reviews for iO Academy →

Recent iO Academy News

• The Full Stack Track

Cost£11,000
    LocationSheffield, Online, Bath
    Students will learn the fundamentals of coding, software design and project management.
    DepositOptional £150 refundable deposit for the use of a MacBook Pro
    Deferred payment is available with EdAid or Knoma. Borrow up to the full course fee and pay back later.
    ScholarshipA scholarship (the Diversitech Fund) for financial assistance for those underrepresented in the tech industry is available.
    Minimum Skill LevelNo previous coding experience required
    Prep WorkA basic introduction to programming prep course is provided to all successful applicants before joining the programme.
  • Xandice  User Photo
    Xandice • Junior Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Like many people, over the last year I decided I wanted to re-train and do something that felt more stimulating and challenging. I've spent most of my working life being the unofficial resident tech support person, so it seemed a natural progression to formalise things and actually learn what makes the internet work.

I quit my job in February and was accepted into iO Academy with a scholarship to complete their four month Full Stack Track course. I had an incredible time learning the ropes with my remote scrum team (the Mountain Goats) and am so grateful to all of the trainers and staff who made 8 hours of Zoom a day feel like a breeze!

The academy teaches the fundamentals of programming which means that I have the confidence and knowledge to apply this learning to any languages that weren't covered on the course. The curriculum is comprehensive, there were plenty of challenges and stretch goals, and the balance between theory and project work kept things interesting.

Overall, I would encourage anyone considering applying to a coding bootcamp to give iO a go!
    - 9/22/2021
    Alicja Zubel  User Photo
    Alicja Zubel • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Absolutely fantastic. From amazing teachers and supporters to outstanding and indepth content. I couldn't believe how much I have learnt within 16 weeks and how far I have come. My tutor was incredible and very knowledable and he is still available to answer any questions I might have, help out or just give me a boost of confidence when needed. The course provided me with a knowledge that gave me a strong foundation to build my career upon.
    The course was very intense and coding focused, so I would recommend it to anyone who is sure that being a software engineer is what they want to do (even with no previous experience).
  • Great bootcamp!
    - 9/17/2021
    Sobia  User Photo
    Sobia • Junior Full Stack Engineer Verified via GitHub
    Ash was the best teacher I could ask for! The bootcamp was great. The curriculum was the best I could find personally, and I was pleased to get in and learn so much. I really appreciate the time and effort put into their online classes to make the experience great. The format of 8 per class is ideal too. I found the duration of the bootcamp great too, as 16 weeks didn't feel too long or too short to prepare us for our next stages in our careers. Many thanks iO Academy and Mike too!
  • Alex Ferreira  User Photo
    Alex Ferreira • PHP web developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    After 14yo in the music industry I decided to take a massif step in my life by continuing an old dream of mine, Which was to become a software engineer.
    iO Academy Helped me archiving that goal with an incredible support and kindness.
    I got offer 4 jobs before the end of the school and got the chance to pick and choose ! So technically the school help me to get a job in 15 weeks out of the 16 weeks of school !
    If you are like me and want to change your life around and start a career in web development do not think twice !
    At first glance the school seems very expensive but if you start to do some research you will quickly realise that iO offer on of the best Curriculum concerning full stack development.
    Regarding the fees there is funding available, the size of the class is perfect 8 peoples maximum, which for me this was one of the main point.
    8 peoples in a class allow you to get to know everyone and the more important the teacher is not overwhelm by 20 student and can then focus on each of the student.
    The curriculum is fantastic, the school make you aware of old way of doing thing but for the big part your are learning the industry standard of nowadays.

Do not be afraid to make the big jump with them you will not regret it  !
  • Best Decision!
    - 9/8/2021
    Alina Neculai  User Photo
    Alina Neculai • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I’ve always dreamed of having technical skills and becoming a developer. I wasn’t sure how and where to start until I found out about iO Academy and decided to join the bootcamp. It was the best decision I’ve ever made!

You cannot believe how many things you can learn in such a short period of time (especially when you have amazing trainers but more on that later).The curriculum Is really well structured and it helps you build a solid foundation. The focus isn’t placed on learning a particular programming language (even though you pick up quite a few during the bootcamp) but more on logical thinking and understanding how to write best practice code regardless of the language used. Having a good understanding of the fundamentals puts you in a great position pick up other languages in the future.The course combines theory with project weeks where we worked as a group, following agile methodologies to complete awesome projects. Working as part of a team you also get a chance to develop your soft skills and learn how to collaborate with different people.The best part of the course is the people and building a bond with others going through the same journey. The trainers, students and everybody involved with iO Academy is really nice.Our trainer was Mike and he was the best trainer that I could have ever asked for. He was very supportive, always explaining things in a way that would make sense to you. Even after hours he was replying to any questions I had and was always there for us whenever we had down moments or doubting ourselves, offering reassurance and building our confidence.We also met Charlie, Ash and Neal who are some of the other trainers at iO and all of them were really nice and incredibly helpful.The support we received was not limited to the technical side. We had a lot of help with our job applications including writing CVs, cover letters, how to prepare for an interview and what are some of the challenges that come up during an interview.In the final week of the bootcamp I had numerous interviews and in the week after finishing the bootcamp I had already received a job offer.For me the iO Academy bootcamp was the best experience of my life and I’ll always be grateful because it helped me get my dream job. The only bad thing about the bootcamp is that it comes to an end!
  • Lucy  User Photo
    Lucy • Junior Full Stack Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I looked at quite a few bootcamps before deciding on iO Academy; the two main reasons were the size of the classes (8 people) and a shining recommendation from someone who went there and whose opinion I trusted. It was a slight risk because I live in London and imagined that any connections made in the industry afterwards might all be based in Bath and be less useful for me, however I now know it was a risk worth taking.

The support at iO is amazing; Mike is a fountain of knowledge and there's a real community spirit to everything that's done (which is no mean feat considering our cohort were fully remote!). The only thing I would have liked to have done differently is to have done it in person, so if you get the opportunity to do this go for it.

In terms of job prospects, I had around 5 interviews before the course was even complete, which culminated in two job offers and I'm now starting my first job as a junior developer 2 weeks after graduating.

If you like small family vibes with genuinely good quality, conscious teaching then this is the place for you.

• Fantastic Course
    - 6/22/2021
    Matt W-R  User Photo
    Matt W-R • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The Full Stack Track really gives you a an applied & focussed learning experience, providing you with all the tools needed to become a software developer. They teach you important principles to guide you to writing professional code, introduce you to important & modern frameworks & importantly help you learn the necessary soft skills for being a great dev team member. Everyone picks up the content/skills very fast due to the well designed course & the patient, knowledgable & friendly trainers. If the cost looks like a lot to you, please know that you will get your money's worth through the 9-5 attention of your team's trainer, the extra assistance in preparing yourself for job-seeking & the numerous guest lectures you will receive on a myriad of related topics.
    - 6/21/2021
    Nathaniel  User Photo
    Nathaniel • Student Verified via GitHub
    Enrolling in the iO Academy Full Stack Track is one of the best decisions I've made. I couldn't have felt more supported over the past 16 weeks by the team at iO and highly recommend to anyone looking to start a career as a developer.
    - 6/21/2021
    Kashif  User Photo
    Kashif • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Enrolling at iO academy was the best thing I have ever done. The teaching is great with ample support for all students. No question was too stupid, personally, I was struggling in a particular area and my teacher Ash made me exercises privately that I could work on in my own time which helped me a lot. We also had a lot of help with CV's and how to prepare for an interview.
    All in all, I highly recommend this course.
  • Isabella  User Photo
    Isabella • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The teaching at iO Academy is truly superb. The content builds very clearly and the instructors are fantastic at adapting to the skill level and competency of each student. The instructors really take the time to explain concepts to you so you at no point feel left behind. As part of the bootcamp there is support with CV writing and interview preparation and the post-graduation support was also incredible. I am so grateful for everything iO Academy has done for me.
  • Best Decision!
    - 1/13/2021
    Ellie  User Photo
    Ellie • Verified via LinkedIn
    If you're debating joining iO Academy, do it! it's the best decision I've ever made. The training and support is great and they really help prepare you for your first role as a developer. And the support continues even after finishing the course, helping with any coding problems and searching for jobs.
    I started the course in person and after a few weeks got moved to being remote which I was dreading but it was actually even easier than in person.
    Can't recommend the academy enough! I got a job a week after graduating and am excited to begin my career as a developer.
  • Josh  User Photo
    Josh • Junior Developer • Verified via LinkedIn
    I can't thank iO Academy enough, the training is first class and the support is incredible. We had to switch from in person too remote during the course and even this was handled so professionally. In many ways it actually helped prepare us for the current workplace environment. If you're looking for a coding course that prepares you for the workplace, then this is really the one to do.

iO Academy Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at iO Academy, 100% graduated. 97% of graduates were job-seeking and 82% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $25,300. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 38 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

More information about our reporting and a detailed report can be found here:
Salary recorded in UK GBP, not US dollars