codesmith-logo

Codesmith

Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online

Codesmith

Codesmith offers a full-time, 12-week full stack software engineering bootcamp in Los Angeles and New York City. Codesmith is a selective, need-blind program focusing largely on computer science and full-stack JavaScript, with an emphasis on technologies like React, Redux, Node, build tools, Dev Ops and machine learning. This program enables Codesmith students (known as Residents) to build open-source projects, with the aim of moving into positions as skilled software engineers. Codesmith Residents become engineers, not technicians, through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms and data structures), and object-oriented and functional programming. Codesmith helps residents develop strong problem-solving abilities and technical communication skills – valued capacities in a software engineer.

The Codesmith admissions process involves a written application with optional coding questions, a nontechnical interview, and a technical interview. Codesmith offers a number of free resources for preparing for the admissions process including in-person and online coding workshops, a 2-week online prep course (CS Prep), and an online JavaScript learning platform (CSX).

Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides Residents through whiteboarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues upon graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer roles.

Recent Codesmith Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (286) reviews for Codesmith →

Recent Codesmith News

Read all (19) articles about Codesmith →
  • CS Prep

JavaScript, jQuery, Algorithms, Front End
    $750
    CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.
    No deposit
    We offer tuition payment plans and many scholarships for the course. The tuition you pay for CS Prep will roll over to the Software Engineering Immersive tuition.
    We offer case by case payment plans, please reach out to csprep@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / Guarantee
    If you pass the CS Prep assessment you are guaranteed a technical interview with our full time Codesmith Program. Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case by case basis.
    We offer multiple scholarships to CS Prep, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Suitable for beginners who are ready to level up to intermediate and advanced material.
    We recommend some familiarity with the content in the Precourse Unit on CSX - our free online learning platform - https://csx.codesmith.io/.
  • JavaScript for Beginners

JavaScript
    October 5, 2019
    $300
    JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour, remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals and how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.
    No Deposit
    This course has scholarships available, and the tuition you pay for JavaScript for Beginners rolls over and can be applied towards the tuition of our more advanced programs.
    We offer case-by-case payment plans, please reach out to jsforbeginners@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / Guarantee
    Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case-by-case basis.
    We offer multiple scholarships to JavaScript for Beginners, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    This course is designed for those with no coding experience!
    We recommend completing Part 1 of the Precourse on CSX, our free online learning platform, before you start the course: https://csx.codesmith.io/units/precourse
    October 5, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 25, 2019
    November 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
    November 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
  • Software Engineering Immersive Program

October 28, 2019
    New York City, Los Angeles
    The Codesmith program teaches computer science, full-stack JavaScript (notably React and Node), software architecture, Dev Ops, and machine learning, preparing graduates for mid to senior engineering positions. The course also features preparatory material, extensive hiring preparation, and ongoing support with students’ job searches.
    We have financing partnerships available as well as case by case payment plans! Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Refunds are distributed on a case by case basis but are available.
    Codesmith offers 4 types of scholarships -those to students underrepresented in the technology community, women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarships, as well as scholarships to prior bootcamp grads.
    Prior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    4 weeks
    October 28, 2019 - New York CityApply by October 28, 2019
    December 16, 2019 - New York CityApply by December 16, 2019
    November 25, 2019 - Los AngelesApply by November 25, 2019

• Dhani Mayfield  User Photo
    Dhani Mayfield • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Let's talk about transforming yourself. You very well may be at the initial steps I was only a few short months ago. What's in consideration is an arena of challenge, unfamiliarity, and creativity.

I wince from the urge to say the word 'given' when referring to Codesmith. It isn't a word that is necessarily bad. Yet it draws unnecessary focus and doesn't reflect what you ultimately gain from such an experience. Nonetheless I will start with what Codesmith does in fact "provide".

1) An intensive multidimensional curriculum

2) Exceptional professional advice

3) Career support and networking

The underlying brilliance of Codesmith however is missed in this simple list. Codesmith more so than any other verb cultivates marvelous things in the individuals who attend the program. This is of course because the Codesmith environment and community is ingrained with an altruistic spirit to propel others.

If you were in search of a big reveal in to why Codesmith is a superb choice - this is it. In the field of accelerated learning Codesmith reaches the greatest of heights by living the words "We are all excellent, and we will grow to be more excellent." It is a beautiful thing.

Codesmith brings its residents in as family. This is an enormous backbone of support you may never see outside of your very own family. As it must, the program unleashes the gamut of web and software development obstacles. This is never an exciting part when I am talking about Codesmith. I am of the believe that the spoken material can be learned quite isolated with only the right handful of books. Torturous yet possible. What develops as you grind unit by unit is ability of course. As you take in your surroundings you realize the community is at your finger tips. When you stumble then stumble and your ready to not take another thrust up you are brought up by your cohort mates. Finally, when you have seen so much of the process that looking back you see the pattern of challenge, resilience, and accomplishment you realize a tremendous confidence.

Codesmith is a great whirlwind. I have probably not given justice to what I truly believe it is. Though what I know it is not is a magic door to success. Be prepared to join something that deserves your all if you attend Codesmith. It is a place that you should make the most of and that will be so many levels past the industry curriculum.

• A wise choice!
    - 1/24/2019
    Darryl Amour • Software Engineer • Graduate

Bravo!! More value delivered than thought was possible. I came to Codesmith with a BSc. Computer Information Systems under my belt with past industry experience.  Codesmith is abosolutely phonomenal in what they provide. Most schools I investigated seemed concerned with just the core curriculum and was very dodgy when it came to discussing how they supported the student with job search once complete.  With Codesmith they provide many free ways for you to prepare before being admitted to a cohort.  They are not concerned with just having you complete, but really are committed to you becoming an exprienced Engineer that have been challenged, instructured and nurtured. An Engineer that not only can accomplish senior level challenges but can effectively communicate and function as part of a high performing team.

The Codesmith Team is amazing, their culture is exactly what you need when being pushed outside your comfort zone, giving you the necessary support to believe in yourself while stretching for excellence. Your last week is filled with hiring focused lectures, no false promises but lots of tools get out and become a productive and effective Mid to Senior Engineer.

If you are still in doubt, attend one of their JavaScript - The Hard Parts - Prep Session.  You will get a taste and will want more.

Cheers to making a wise choice and joining the Software Engineering revolution!

Humbly & Sincerely,

Darryl

• Software Engineer
    - 1/23/2019
    JB • Graduate
    • Think of the programme as an engineering startup and a very challenging environment.
    • Every single day you will be working on some latest software engineering concepts, pushing yourself forward everytime you hit a block.
    • The projects you can build here are amazing and definitely will make you stand out as a credible engineer, not like an average boot camp grad.
  • I liked it
    - 1/23/2019
    Adrian Sun • Software Engineer • Graduate

If you are still unsure about which school to attend, I would seriously recommend going to the meetup and seeing the level of engineering excellence that they can provide. The program itself is difficult and rigorous, but the level of knowledge and skill that you walk away with is amazing. They really encourage a good community among each cohort, and it was a real treat being able to meet like minded people who were also as passionate about learning as I was. The job support is awesome and very helpful. I would 100% recommend this program as it has really helped me achieve my goals.

• Edward Kim • Student

Codesmith allowed me to expedite my path to becoming a software engineer far more than I could have on my own. The day-to-day agenda kept me busy at all times, but I enjoyed every bit of it. I feel that their curriculum not only targets the most relevant technologies desired on the job market, but also ensures that students learn from the bottom-up. Aside from the program, the culture that's fostered at Codesmith is both welcoming and engaging. They heavily emphasis pair-programming, and I feel that that's allowed me to better articulate myself and my approach in code. I would easily recommend this program to anyone interested in software engineering.

• Amazing
    - 1/18/2019
    Z • Graduate

I personally had an amazing experience at Codesmith. I would recommend it to every aspiring engineer.

Acceptance:
    Their acceptance process was more rigorous than other places which at first was extremely intimidating, but once I got in, I realized I already felt comfortable with fundamental things which weren't even required by other places.

Learning:
    The learning experience was definitely intense at times. We were spending 6 days a week, sometimes more than 10 hours a day. Each unit was only two days long and I felt like I was being rushed until we started building projects. Then it made sense. The reason why these units are so quick are because you will solidify the fundamentals during the projects phase when you are forced to implement all the technologies learned. The senior portion was definitely my favorite part as it was refreshing having to dive deep into a technology like GraphQL or another advanced portion of a modern tech stack.

Environment:
    Ultimately, this is what makes Codesmith. They have done such a well job recruiting students and staff that care about the program and foster a family culture. Every person there is purposeful and kind and is looking out for one another. I have found a second family here and it is so amazing knowing that every individual is pursuing the same goal.

• Kevin Mui • Software Engineer • Graduate

I've never been surrounded by a group of more supportive and compassionate people in my entire life. This is what makes Codesmith such an amazing place. From the academic team to the felllows to your cohort mates, everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand to ensure your success in the program.

The curriculum is rigorous and gets more challenging as the program goes on, but it never feels overwhelming because of this supportive structure. You'll learn the basics in popular web technologies like React / Redux and Node / Express in a very short amount of time but you'll master these concepts in group projects.

The hiring support is extensive with Will Sentance and Erik Kirsten leading lectures about the interviewing process and salary negotiation towards the end of the program. Every bit of advice given in these lectures is invaluable to your job search.

Attending Codesmith has been one of the best decisions in my life. You'll not only gain a deep understanding of popular web technologies and engineering best practices but you'll learn how to overcome any obstacle as a software engineer. If you're looking for a program that will push you to your limits but supports you every step of the way, look no further than Codesmith.

• Alex R. • Software Engineer • Graduate

I would like to start by saying as recent graduate who received a very decent job I am extremely grateful for what I gained at Codesmith.  Is the program flawless? Not really, but I’m sure it would be hard to find one that is.

In my experience good reviews give background and tend to layout the pros and cons, so I will do so accordingly here.

My background: I consider myself a career changer who came from a liberal arts background but have always been interested in tech and the idea of creating my own apps. Prior to entering Codesmith I did go back to school for an undergrad CS Degree. I felt like there were certain gaps in my knowledge I wanted to fill and so I decided to go through the program.  Despite all that I will say that almost everything I learned at Codesmith was new and I didn’t feel like I had any particular advantage over the cohort mates who did not have a CS background.  The more you can think like an engineer and problem solve, the more successful you will be.

Now that we got that out of the way let me lay down the pros and cons for you.

PROS:

Codesmith helps you get a good job.  I know there are some mixed opinions on the data offered up but from what I’ve seen almost everyone gets a good job within 4 months.  While I was skeptical at first, the salary numbers offered up by Codesmith are not a lie. Frankly speaking if I got nothing else from Codesmith, I learned what I was worth and what I could achieve. Could I have done this without Codesmith? Maybe, but it would have been extremely hard without the guidance and advice offered.

Codesmith teaches you the essentials of the latest ”hot” technologies.  I can’t tell you how many doors were open because I focused on studying the technologies in Codesmith’s curriculum. Even with the CS degree, without having gone through Codesmith, I don’t believe I would have been able to get the job I have now, nor most of my interviews where knowledge of the latest frameworks and tech is key.

The struggle at Codesmith really does prepare you for the job and the job search.  Point is, in this field you need to be able to learn on your own and solve problems without being hand held.  Codesmith helped prepare me for this.

You make lifelong friends. I know I know..  this may not be limited to Codesmith only, but I had to list it anyway as it’s true. You will make good friends as long as you are willing to.

CONS:

Not the best curriculum. Many lessons do leave you wanting more or still confused. Codesmith claims this is because they want to give you the bare minimum (skeleton ) so you can put the rest together on your own.  While this may have it’s advantages, I do honestly believe there is room for improvement.  The topics are right, but the content and instruction is lacking.  Don’t expect a step by step how to anywhere here, but as I said before this prepares you for the real world.

Not for everyone.   I think Codesmith does a pretty good job of accepting people who have the potential to succeed, but don’t expect Codesmith to make you a software engineer. You have to struggle to do that on your own and it could take longer for some than others.

IN ESSENCE:    I am grateful for what I gained from Codesmith and do not regret attending.  Its not the flawless program many people may sell it to be, but I still believe it offers something unique and continue to recommend it to those I think can succeed there.  Take advantage of the guidance offered by the program but don’t ever think that the struggle ends when you graduate.  Getting that job is hard and will require continued work and study after.

• CS Prep
    - 11/12/2018
    Adrian • Applicant

The instruction was very good and I became close with some of my cohort-mates. Ryan is a supremely knowledgeable teacher and an incredibly nice guy. The course helped me to fill gaps in my knowledge as well as build up more confidence before doing a technical interview for Codesmith.

Since the lectures move quickly and the concepts require time to digest, I would HIGHLY suggest becoming familiar with ALL of CSX--the online pre-course material--before attending. If not, you may feel behind in the pair programming sessions and not get the most benefit from the course.

• Code and Family
    - 11/3/2018
    Akouvi kouedjin • Software Engineer • Graduate

Codesmith is an amazing opportunity to strengthen your skills if you have a background in programming or learn the right way of doing things if you have no experience.The curricullum is challenging and compact and every topic we touched is at the cutting edge of technology as we know it, but it is design this way so you can challenge yourself.

Codesmith is not meant to spoon feed you the what,how,when and where of programming, Codesmith teaches you how to learn things on your own so that even if you are no longer at codesmith, you have the confidence that you can tackle any bug any block and any new technology.

These three months at codesmith really grows you as a person. The staff are the hardest working people I have ever met and they set a great example of not only what it takes to be a great developer, but also what it means to take control of your own destiny and make something out of yourself. It has been an absolute honor learning and having the opportunity to grow by pushing myself everyday and having people around me that  are also doing the same.

• Selcuk

Codesmith is no joke. It was such a challenging exprience for me. You will spend every single day, night and day for the next 12 weeks learning new material, doing challenges and debugging, all the while drinking endless cups of coffee. You probably spend 10-12 hours in Codesmith make sure you are ready for this hard work before you enroll. About the curriculum you will learn Full-Stack (Data Structure and Algorithm,React,Redux,Express,Node,SQL,NoSQL) in your first 4 weeks then rest is all about the project No more lectures, You work on your full stack project all day, helping each other out. Everone in codesmith is so smart and I'm thankful they are all trying and willing to help each others. If you do not have technical background make sure you study before you get into. Because curriculum so fast you wont have enought time to learn all in that short period of time.

• Erik • Senior Front-End Develoepr • Graduate

I am a self-taught web developer who recently graduated with a BS in Computer Science. I didn't do any internships during my time at university and had trouble passing interviews for junior developer jobs. I needed something to fill in the gap between being a fresh graduate and having some industry experience and Codesmith was it.

I attended the JavaScript the Hard Parts meetup a number of times before considering the program. I was impressed with the level of depth of the content and noticed my own skills and technical vocabulary improving quickly after just a few meetups. I truly felt that this was a next level program and not just something to get you from zero to "Hello world!".

The program itself is very intensive and one of the hardest things I've ever done and I would do it all over again. My skills as an engineer and my technical communication improved by leaps and bounds over the course of the program and I now feel confident in tackling any complex or new engineering problem. It taught me how to teach myself, effectively communicate, and reason about difficult problems.

I never thought I'd be the type of person giving tech talks in front of large groups of people or being relaxed and confident when whiteboarding difficult algorithms on a whiteboard, but Codesmith gave me the tools, practice, and confidence to do so.

One of the most valuable parts of the program is the hiring prep and support. I have since taken a job as a Senior Front-End Developer and couldn't have done it without Codesmith.

• Andy • Student

You can find any coding school or bootcamp that teaches JavaScript, React, or whatever trending technologies. However, it is really difficult to find a community where every student and team member is positive, energetic, and respecting one another.

Students at Codesmith spend over 12 hours a day; from 9am, most students stay until 10 or 11pm at night. Even though they are mentally exhausted and physically tired, students still help other students who are having difficult time understanding the technology they learned that day.

Some students decide to stay at Codesmith as "fellows" after graduating. Fellows stay untill late night to help junior students and support students to become successful software engineers.

Many alumni often come back to Codesmith. On Alumni Night, alumni give a talk about their current work and their story after Codesmith like how they struggled until getting a job. They also give mock interviews to senior students so that students can have more confidence when they face real interviews.

Engineers at Codesmith provide great lectures. They don't teach how to create React application from bottom to top, but rather they make students learn the hard way so that students can store the knowledge in long-term memory. Students will be exposed to new technologies and learn how to utilize them by finding answers by themselves or working with other students. By pair programming with other students, they not only learn how to work with other programmers, but also how to technically communicate.

What is great about Codesmith is students will learn how to become a better person as well. Students take a short survey prior to a lecture about implicit bias; they learn how not to discriminate other students or future coworkers by their race, national origin, gender, or age. Eric, who is an advisor for students, teaches interpersonal skills that are important for interviews. Last but not least, lectures from Will, CEO of Codesmith, are crucial and really helpful for those who do not know how to get a job in tech industry.

• Colin • Graduate

The amount of knowledge that I have gained through this experience is unreal.  I can confidently say no other place will push you the way Codesmith does.  They don't just teach you material, they introduce you to topics and guide you in a way that forces you to learn the right way.  The only piece more enjoyable than how much I have learned is the community of people that I have met - insanely kind, welcoming, hard-working and unique.  I never knew a place like this existed but I am beyond fortunate that does.

• nts • Software Engineer • Student

So thankful for this place. It not only gave me the tools to be a successful engineer, but also provided me with a community where people care about each other's success, and are more than willing to help.

• Stephen G. • Software Engineer • Graduate

After Codesmith, I increased my starting salary by 25% and I landed my dream job; Here's how I did it.

First, I think Codesmith is a unique opportunity that, if you can get in, will give you the leverage and skills that you can use to dramatically increase your starting salary and land your dream job. With that being said, there is no hand holding, although you can ask engineering fellows to assist you if you hit a block. To get the most out of the experience, you have to put in the time to work on your coding skills and focus on translating their lessons into real-world, working web applications. It's a challenge but hey, if it was easy, then it probably wouldn't be worth your while.

Before Codesmith, I had a grasp of some web technologies but lacked the computer science backbone and interviewing skills necessary to land a mid to senior level role. Codesmith helped me round out my skills and taught me all of the major modern technologies that companies ask for on their job listings. I learned through building challenging yet interesting projects and technologies that employers would *actually* be impressed by. To do this, the Codesmith staff pushes you to do more than you thought was possible and by the end of the course, you are in awe of how much you accomplished.

As you approach graduation, you really start to experience the true value of the Codesmith program by seeing the culmination of everything you have learned combined with the invaluable knowledge that the Codesmith team provides you in preparation for your job search. Resume reviews and practice phone screens prepare you for the real world and by the time you receive your final offer, you will feel like a professional interviewer. At least that’s how I felt. I trusted their process and, a few months after graduating, I received an offer from my top choice company.

I was extremely excited when I received my official offer because it was in my range around the average for mid level engineers in NYC (currently $117,195 on Glassdoor) and it was with a company that I felt was a fantastic fit for me.

I certainly wouldn't have been able to accomplish this without Codesmith. I highly recommend it if you are looking to level up as a software engineer and dominate the job search to find the perfect job for you.

• Javier O. • software engineer • Graduate
    I was accepted to join the selective residency program last year and work with other smart people that helped me enhance my engineering experience.
    This residency program is focused on a philosophy of solving problems. Although, I did know about software engineering before, here at Codesmith I had the opportunity to work on the projects that I wanted in a team and they helped me grow as an engineer. Thankfully, during my process, I got corrected of the bad engineering practices/habits I had.
    The disadvantage that I felt they had and where I think they could have improved while I was in the program, is guiding the residents to solve problems with different operating systems. However, the advantages are the guidance you will receive( I really enjoyed whiteboarding ). The whole time you are there, you are constantly being challenged to get better. You stretch yourself by questioning, informing and applying concepts until you polish your skills. The other advantage is the accountability. I found them to be accountable. I did feel I could go to them for any request and they would help me within a reasonable amount of time. Also, they are updated with what the technology and principles you should have and inform you of what the actual employers are looking for in engineers. The job seeking process was helpful as well.
  • Unemployed
    - 7/19/2018
    Very Disappointed Grad • Unemployed • Graduate

I am posting this to let people know how I got tricked into thinking I can be job ready for the tech industry with only 3 months of classes, which is EXACTLY what Codesmith advertised...

Let me just start by saying that you will learn a good amount of knowledge from this program, I don't want to take away how rigorous this 12 week bootcamp actually is, and I actually learned a lot about programming and made a lot of friends at Codesmith.

That said, I am extremely disappointed in Codesmith, and felt like they scammed me out of 17k in tuition.  I'll just go right ahead and say it:

Codesmith tells you to LIE when looking for jobs!  They want you to put your so called "production project" in your resume as WORK EXPERIENCE!!!!  They ask you to NOT put Codesmith in your resume, create a website and make it look really really nice so employers can be fooled that your project is a company, and reach out to random developers to "star" your repository to get a lot of stars in an attempt to pass as a legitamte professional project!  They NEVER told us this in the beginning, and I felt duped and unsatisfied after close to a year of trying to follow their "Marketing" and "need-to-know-info" strategy to find jobs!

I knew it was too good to be true, when I first attended their Javascript Hard Parts meetup, the founder, Will, who by the way, was really really "Markety", claimed that Codesmith had the best hiriing rates than other bootcamps(by the way, they have NO outcomes reports whatsoever, to this day).  Someone else that worked at Codesmith told us that, upon graduation, it takes less than a month to find a job...boy how I took the bait.  I saw the culture there and lucrative promises that I eventually joined their July '17 cohort.

I graduated in October, and to this day, I am still struggling to even get phone interviews, I did have several interviews, but I had several recruiters and HR managers tell me that I'm trying to dupe them in my resume...I don't blame them, I mean, it LITERALLY is lying, we WERE trying to trick them into thinking we had PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, what Codesmith told us to do, it is so shady and wrong!!!  I didn't have the guts to come out and say it earlier, partly because I didn't want to believe that I paid 17k to get scammed, I wanted to believe that I chose the right program, so do some other students in my cohort as well as the cohort before us, but we're in so deep in commitment and money that we were in denial of the obvious.

For those of you wanting to change career, stick to a 4 year college!  For those that are considering bootcamps, stick to the well known, proven bootcamps, like App Academy, Hack Reactor, or Full Stack Acad, those that acutally publish job outcomes and will not asking you to sell your soul and trick your interviewers, even if you do consider ANY bootcamp, ask them outcomes questions, the job search process, ASK them for outcomes numbers, ASK them a lot of questions, if they're being standoffish, it's usually a big telltale sign.  If it's too good to be true, it often is!

I will still try to find a software engineer job, but I am going back to the drawing board and learn more on my own, for free, there are many resources online for anyone to teach themselves how to code. the program did teach me a lot, but not enough to be job ready, I mean, its so laughable that Codesmith will tell you to market yourself as a react engineer witthout even teach you REDUX.

I felt scammed, I felt duped, and I felt that I HAD to say something so other people looking for bootcamps or potential attendees won't fall into the same predictament that I did.

Response From: Will Sentance of Codesmith
    Title: CEO
    Monday, Sep 10 2018
    I’m really sorry you had such a struggle in the job search. In your cohort (start date July 2017) every graduate received an offer (with the exception of one great grad who was not eligible to work in the US)

People put so much of themselves into their time at codesmith and the hundreds of reviews are so important for people who are taking this big step in their careers. It’s a real shame to present things that are evidently untrue - particularly the outcomes of your cohort which are fully captured in the doc: http://bit.ly/codesmith-outcomes

Around 2/3rds of Codesmith students come from a non-technical background and hundreds have received offers for $100k+ - it would be really unfortunate for folk who are from less experienced background to feel discouraged to aspire to codesmith because of your notes in the review

The program is designed to get you to a position to be able to get a mid level software engineering role or above and for 90% of graduates is does. We put together a more detailed outcomes report than any other program (http://bit.ly/codesmith-outcomes) - every single graduate’s outcome is listed (anonymized) with their salary and whether they found a role within 6 months - the average in LA is $105k (it’s worth working that out from the individual raw data in the report too if you’re interested)

We’d never encourage grads to lie about their experience - both as a matter of integrity and because it would be ineffective (as you would not succeed in the job). Instead grads often go in as mid level engineers and within a year are promoted to senior or even lead engineer (have a look at alumni at VideoAmp, Amazon and Stem) - because the point of Codesmith is to learn how to learn - and that allows grads to grow remarkably quickly after graduation

I love doing the free Javascript workshops I teach each week and seeing so many people who aren’t even applying to codesmith come through to learn. I hope enthusiasm for that never comes across as hype - but it is a genuine pleasure for me seeing people come together every week for hours on end to learn to code - calling on them, seeing them pair program and seeing their excitement.

As you say, investing 3 months in immersing yourself in software engineering, stepping away from a prior career and going through the job search is a huge commitment and so it’s vital to understand the culture, community and outcomes. That’s what makes the Codesmith community so special - I’d recommend talking to as many alumni, reading reviews and going to the workshops to get a true understanding.

We will continue to support you in your job search - so let us know when you’re available to talk more about strategy

• Justin • Graduate

Everything you've probably read about Codesmith is true. Its a tough worthwhile grind where you'll be thinking about code every waking/sleeping moment, (albeit maybe not while you're playing ping pong)

This program is definitely not for the faint of heart, but those that are looking to be stretched in what they know technically and then more. It's very much get out what you put in. There will be lows, where you'll be challenged to problem solve and debug with your pair programming partner, exuberant highs where you'll feel the happiness that comes with understand a complicated topic, and everything in-between. Its in my firm belief that there is no other program that competes with Codesmith and I would make the same decision again in a heartbeat.

• Worth it
    - 5/10/2018
    Kevin • Software Engineer • Graduate

Before joining Codesmith, I have been coding for a few years on and off.  I was building projects, but was always left with a feeling that I was hacking pieces together that I did not truly understand.

I started attending the Codesmith run meetups, JS The Hard Parts, and was surprised by how thorough the topics were explained.  Going under the hood and really understanding what is going on. Plus, the community was very helpful and I found myself surrounded by people who were also eager to learn and share their knowledge.

The program itself is very challenging, be prepared to put in the time and effort to learn and practice all the covered topics and build (exciting and challenging) projects to solidify your knowledge.  Staff and cohort-mates were there every step of the journey.

Easily the most exhausting, but rewarding, 3-months of my life.  All the hard work does not end after the program as job searching is a full-time commitment in itself.  It was all worth it and I have since found a job as a Software Engineer at a great company.

• Annie • Software Engineer • Graduate

Without being hyperbolic, Codesmith genuinely changed my life. I came into the program with a background in teaching math, already knowing that I loved problem-solving and buildling things. I wasn't sure, however, whether the hype about Codesmith was real, or whether I'd really be able to learn enough in 3 months to position myself for a real career in software engineering.

If you are relatively prepared with Javascript fundamentals and have a genuine passion for programming and engineering, Codesmith is a phenomenal program. The curriculum is almost entirely problem and project-based, meaning that you'll learn by doing, rather than by watching others. This means many many hours spent on your own or with a partner poring over documentation, writing things from scratch, and debugging code. It's important to note that the program is very self-driven. You definitely have access to mentors and instructors, and they've designed a great curriculum that ensures that you hit all of the important points/skills you need if you stay on track, but ultimately it is up to the student to figure almost everything out, with the help of his or her peers. I loved this environment and found that it really let me thrive and push myself to the best of my abilities. I built a production project here that I am genuinely proud of, and that has gotten recognition by engineers at companies like Netflix and Amazon.

The hiring support at Codesmith is really invaluable. It doesn't come until the last couple of weeks of the program, so I found myself worrying quite a bit during the first couple of months. They really give you targeted and specific guidance and feedback on resume writing, presenting yourself online, reaching out to companies, interviewing, and closing an offer. Obviously, you will have to be the one to follow through on all of their advice, but if you are persistent and have done your preparation, you'll be positioned to land a pretty great job. I received two awesome offers from companies this week, and the staff at Codesmith gave me advice for negotiating and signing on with the company I was most excited about.

The community at Codesmith is incredibly supportive. People are fun, positive, driven, and unafraid of failing. If you are driven by problem-solving and self-motivated to succeed, I think it's an ideal environment in which to level up and make a huge impact on your life.

• Graduate
    - 4/23/2018
    Frank • Graduate

Graduated from Cohort 2 in NYC this week. The last 13 weeks have been an amazing ride.

My background was in finance with some programming work. I quit a fairly well paying position in December to pursue further developing my programming skills, being able to make applications and tools in your freetime is an amazing skill.

All of the accepted residents have varying degrees of prior programming experience, in my cohort this ranged from a few months to over 10 years. One day before the program started, I messaged the Codesmith team and asked them if I should defer entrance, I did not feel ready. They told me many accepted residents often feel that way from the pre-course work and that I should stick it out for the first week to feel out my readiness. I'm glad I did, three days from graduation I accepted an offer from my dream job that I've wanted for the last 4 years.

Programming background depending, the curriculum is likely going to be challenging. The first 6 weeks (junior phase), you go through 2 day units that cover differently topics across the stack. Ideation week for your senior production project lasts 1 week, you then spend another 4 weeks (senior phase) working on a open source production project before spending the final 2 weeks preparing for post program. All together, I spent around 10-14 hours each day at the program from Monday-Saturday and also put in a few hours on Sunday.

Our production project was focused on improving the local development experience of a Kubernetes cluster. I had two amazing partners working on the project with me and we launched the project (see Watchpod on Github) to very positive feedback from members of the Kubernetes developer community.

Lastly, I want to dedicate a paragraph to the Codesmith team. One of the main reasons why I joined Codesmith over competing programs is because of the community. From Thursday night drinks to nerf wars, Codesmith does an amazing job fostering a caring and colloquial community. The staff puts in 110% to ensure the resident experience is as positive as possible. For the long hours they put into both emotional and intellectual support across the entire program, they deserve a tremendous applause. Kudos to the entire team, with special shoutouts to Victoria for always caring about the resident experience, Eric for the wonderful job search support, Brandon for convincing me to take part in this wonderful program, and lastly Will for building something amazing over the last 2 years. You guys have built something special, keep up the wonderful work. I'm excited to see the future of Codesmith with each cohort improving upon the last!

Response From: Olivia of Codesmith
    Title: New York Director
    Wednesday, Sep 12 2018
    Frank - it was so great to get to know you during your time at Codesmith, and to continue to stay in touch through your alumni involvement. We are thrilled that have stayed such a present member of the NY Codesmith community and can't wait to see how you grow in your role HOF Capital.
  • The Right Move
    - 2/21/2018
    Ryan • Graduate

I was working as a home automation systems programmer for 10 years and I could see that the market was changing, customers were leaning more and more on internet connected devices and I realized my career needed a course correction. I started to teach myself web development, I was going down the typical self-learning path and it was very frustrating. I'd get to spend maybe an hour or two per day going through tutorials and I would often end up stuck down a rabbit hole researching something tangentially related to what I was trying to learn. I had been spending some evenings attending the meetups that were put on by local bootcamps just to try to steer my self study. One evening I attended Codesmith's weekly JavaScript the Hard Parts meetup and I was very impressed both by the fact that Will the CEO was actually giving the lesson and that the atmosphere around the meetup was so friendly and invigorating. After a few months of careful research and deliberation I decided to attend Codesmith. I can say that my decision has paid off so far, I learned so much during the 12 weeks, most importantly I learned how to pick up a new technology quickly and how to work through blocks in development. Additionally I am now part of an awesome community of Codemith staff, students and alumni who are most intelligent, positive group I've ever met. All in all Codesmith was the right move for me.

• February 2018 grad
    - 2/21/2018
    Erik Larsen • Graduate

I'm fresh out of the November-February program. I've never before learned so much in so little time. I came in with only a smidgen of JavaScript knowledge, having completed the Codecademy JS course and gone to Codesmith's weekly LA meetup (JS: the Hard Parts) a few times. My background is completely non-technical, and I had no prior coding experience. Codesmith took me from there to creating a developer library that uses a Webpack loader to bundle files as Web Workers that can be used in a pool structure in 12 weeks! I don't think I would've even understood that sentence before starting.

Here are some of the things that set Codesmith apart:

• It's really demanding. At a minimum you'll be onsite 62 hours/week, and you should expect to be there a lot more.
    • Learning is accomplished by doing. There are lectures, but they are not the focus. The first four weeks are spent on JS units, and thereafter you work in teams on projects.
    • Technical communication skills are paramount. There is only one solo project, which lasts 2 days, in the whole curriculum. Everything else is pair programming or group projects.
    • The production project, which lasts 4 weeks, is the main focus. For a project to be approved, it has to require deep knowledge of an area of JS that will impress seasoned developers.
    • The staff is very supportive, and they do a lot of work from the admission process through the project phase to ensure that every cohort maintains a positive culture.

Codesmith is a big investment of time and money, but it's worth it. Having completed the program, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a passion for JS and a desire to take their skills to a whole new level. If you're in LA or NYC and thinking about doing a fast-track coding school, check out Codesmith's weekly JavaScript: the Hard Parts meetup.

• Justino • Graduate
    Codesmith's immersive full-stack JavaScript program helped expand and sharpen my software engineering skills. The collaborative culture and focus on improving one's communication and problem-solving skills made a huge difference in my growth and learning experience. I enjoyed the fun yet challenging environment created not only by the Codesmith team but also the program residents. I spent over 70+ hours every week coding, learning new concepts, reviewing people's code, solving challenging problems, and exchanging knowledge with others.

I particularly enjoyed the second half of the program when I worked with team of 2 other amazing software engineers. We built a collaborative, real-time text-editor that implements full end-to-end encryption and gives users privacy and the peace of mind that no third party is collecting or selling their data. This portion of the program taught me so much about team work, the value of pair-programming and testing, and the importance of having good communication skills. I had a rewarding and joyful experience during my time at Codesmith.
  • Jonathan • Applicant

I’ve made multiple attempts into getting into Software Engineering in my life, and credit my weekly attendance of Codesmith’s JavaScript – The Hard Parts workshops as the reason this attempt is succeeding. Will spares no effort to hammer in the importance of technical communication, step-by-step interpretation of the code, and understanding what's going on "under the hood” in Javascript. It helped me develop the fundamentals that were invaluable in passing the interviews for the programs I was looking into, including Hack Reactor and Codesmith itself.

No less importantly, Hard Parts brought me into contact with others taking their first steps toward becoming software engineers. I learned a lot working with them, but more than that, I was inspired by them. Seeing so many of my peers working so passionately towards the same goal as me helped me remained focused on my aspiration. Learning about their backgrounds and listening to their experiences provided perspective and reassurance. And when I was waiting in the reception area for my final chance at getting into the Codesmith program, their encouragement kept me from running for the door and rescheduling my interview another six months down the line.

I look forward to entering this program in two weeks and continuing my journey with this incredible team.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

98% of job obtainers reported salaries.

We are proud that a large percentage of our grads accept offers of over $110,000, making Codesmith Los Angeles the program with the highest CIRR certified starting salary in LA for this time period.

For transparency, here are the starting salary breakdowns of our graduates from 1/01/2018 - 6/30/2018:
  • $110,000 - 119,999: 17.5%