codesmith-logo

Codesmith

Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online

Codesmith

Codesmith offers a full-time, 12-week full stack software engineering bootcamp in Los Angeles and New York City. Codesmith is a selective, need-blind program focusing largely on computer science and full-stack JavaScript, with an emphasis on technologies like React, Redux, Node, build tools, Dev Ops and machine learning. This program enables Codesmith students (known as Residents) to build open-source projects, with the aim of moving into positions as skilled software engineers. Codesmith Residents become engineers, not technicians, through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms and data structures), and object-oriented and functional programming. Codesmith helps residents develop strong problem-solving abilities and technical communication skills – valued capacities in a software engineer.

The Codesmith admissions process involves a written application with optional coding questions, a nontechnical interview, and a technical interview. Codesmith offers a number of free resources for preparing for the admissions process including in-person and online coding workshops, a 2-week online prep course (CS Prep), and an online JavaScript learning platform (CSX).

Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides Residents through whiteboarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues upon graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer roles.

Recent Codesmith Reviews: Rating 4.87

all (285) reviews for Codesmith →

Recent Codesmith News

Read all (19) articles about Codesmith →
  • CS Prep

JavaScript, jQuery, Algorithms, Front End
    $750
    CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.
    No deposit
    We offer tuition payment plans and many scholarships for the course. The tuition you pay for CS Prep will roll over to the Software Engineering Immersive tuition.
    We offer case by case payment plans, please reach out to csprep@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / Guarantee
    If you pass the CS Prep assessment you are guaranteed a technical interview with our full time Codesmith Program. Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case by case basis.
    We offer multiple scholarships to CS Prep, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Suitable for beginners who are ready to level up to intermediate and advanced material.
    We recommend some familiarity with the content in the Precourse Unit on CSX - our free online learning platform - https://csx.codesmith.io/.
  • JavaScript for Beginners

JavaScript
    October 5, 2019
    $300
    JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour, remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals and how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.
    No Deposit
    This course has scholarships available, and the tuition you pay for JavaScript for Beginners rolls over and can be applied towards the tuition of our more advanced programs.
    We offer case-by-case payment plans, please reach out to jsforbeginners@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / Guarantee
    Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case-by-case basis.
    We offer multiple scholarships to JavaScript for Beginners, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    This course is designed for those with no coding experience!
    We recommend completing Part 1 of the Precourse on CSX, our free online learning platform, before you start the course: https://csx.codesmith.io/units/precourse
    October 5, 2019 - OnlineApply by September 25, 2019
    November 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
    November 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
  • Software Engineering Immersive Program

October 28, 2019
    New York City, Los Angeles
    The Codesmith program teaches computer science, full-stack JavaScript (notably React and Node), software architecture, Dev Ops, and machine learning, preparing graduates for mid to senior engineering positions. The course also features preparatory material, extensive hiring preparation, and ongoing support with students’ job searches.
    We have financing partnerships available as well as case by case payment plans! Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Refunds are distributed on a case by case basis but are available.
    Codesmith offers 4 types of scholarships -those to students underrepresented in the technology community, women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarships, as well as scholarships to prior bootcamp grads.
    Prior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    4 weeks
    October 28, 2019 - New York CityApply by October 28, 2019
    December 16, 2019 - New York CityApply by December 16, 2019
    November 25, 2019 - Los AngelesApply by November 25, 2019

• Dhani Mayfield  User Photo
    Dhani Mayfield • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Let's talk about transforming yourself. You very well may be at the initial steps I was only a few short months ago. What's in consideration is an arena of challenge, unfamiliarity, and creativity.

I wince from the urge to say the word 'given' when referring to Codesmith. It isn't a word that is necessarily bad. Yet it draws unnecessary focus and doesn't reflect what you ultimately gain from such an experience. Nonetheless I will start with what Codesmith does in fact "provide".

1) An intensive multidimensional curriculum

2) Exceptional professional advice

3) Career support and networking

The underlying brilliance of Codesmith however is missed in this simple list. Codesmith more so than any other verb cultivates marvelous things in the individuals who attend the program. This is of course because the Codesmith environment and community is ingrained with an altruistic spirit to propel others.

If you were in search of a big reveal in to why Codesmith is a superb choice - this is it. In the field of accelerated learning Codesmith reaches the greatest of heights by living the words "We are all excellent, and we will grow to be more excellent." It is a beautiful thing.

Codesmith brings its residents in as family. This is an enormous backbone of support you may never see outside of your very own family. As it must, the program unleashes the gamut of web and software development obstacles. This is never an exciting part when I am talking about Codesmith. I am of the believe that the spoken material can be learned quite isolated with only the right handful of books. Torturous yet possible. What develops as you grind unit by unit is ability of course. As you take in your surroundings you realize the community is at your finger tips. When you stumble then stumble and your ready to not take another thrust up you are brought up by your cohort mates. Finally, when you have seen so much of the process that looking back you see the pattern of challenge, resilience, and accomplishment you realize a tremendous confidence.

Codesmith is a great whirlwind. I have probably not given justice to what I truly believe it is. Though what I know it is not is a magic door to success. Be prepared to join something that deserves your all if you attend Codesmith. It is a place that you should make the most of and that will be so many levels past the industry curriculum.

• Joel • Software Engineer • Graduate

I just want to mention how phenomenal Codesmith was during my time there.

Codesmith was my second bootcamp and it was an absolutely different experience compared to my first. The reason I'm writing this review is because I feel that Codesmith is a bootcamp that doesn't get the exposure it deserves in terms of their absolute dedication to software engineering excellence.

During my time as a resident, I had the pleasure of working on a major production project with three other engineers, one who graduated from Harvard in Data Science, specializing in Python and SQL databases, another who was the lead marketing manager for a technology startup, and the third had 10 years professional work experience as a DevOps engineer. Needless to say it was a different feeling here in terms of the type of residents/students coming to study here.

I was "partly" surprised about how patient all of my other cohort-mates/colleagues were, especially coming from their prestigious backgrounds. But the reason I say "partly" is because this is what makes the Codesmith community amazing. The community at Codesmith is as much about the culture as it is about the level of engineering. And that was something that made this bootcamp experience much more memorable and worth every penny and minute!!

The production project for me was the most rewarding piece because we built a developer tool to test the interoperability between a developer's different microservices. If someone was to tell me that I would have been technically able to build this before the program, I would have said they're crazy. But not only did I feel technically able to take on bigger challenges like this, I felt emotionally empowered too.

Lastly, I just want to say everything, from top to bottom was amazing. Who would of thought someone like me, who started to learn how to code less than a year ago would be able to say I am a Codesmith graduate and a newly hired Software Engineer within the same week of graduating the program.

• Yuri Brizuela

I recently participated in the JavaScript for Beginners course offered by Codesmith.  I had no prior experience in coding and was looking for a productive way to gently introduce myself into the field of software engineering.  The instructors (Will, Phillip, and Kyle) were all very helpful and patient, allowing students to ask questions and providing one-on-one help when necessary.  As students we were encouraged to develop healthy engineering habits and professional, technical communication skills to help maximize productivity in team environments.  Codesmith’s JavaScript for Beginners was an excellent course that provided me with some of the fundamental building blocks of JavaScript as well as introduced me to a supportive, safe learning environment and a wealth of resources.

• CS Pre Course
    - 6/7/2019
    Samantha • Student

I really enjoyed the CS Prep course and found it incredibly valuable. As someone who is a relative newcomer to JavaScript, I can feel overwhelmend as I'm learning. However, Shane, Ryan, and Samantha all created a welcoming learning environment where I did not feel ashamed to ask questions that may seem "easy" for my fellow classmates. The course is a little over two weeks, but I was amazed at how much I felt I had accomplished during those two weeks. The pair programming sessions are really valuable and I felt I learned just as much from those sessions as I did from the lectures. I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to see if Codesmith may be the right immersive program for them.

• CS PREP Review
    - 6/6/2019
    Kevin Nam • Student

This review is only for CS PREP.

CS Prep is a great way to get your feet wet with the fundamentals of advanced topics such as High-Order Functions/Callbacks, Recursion, Closure, Big O Notation, and etc.. Before CS Prep, I was stuck on the HOF section of CSX and did not know a single thing about the advanced topics I mentioned. After completing CSX, I was able to finish CSX and pass technical interviews for multiple top tier coding bootcamps on the first try!

Disclaimer: I have not taken the Codesmith technical interview yet (scheduled to take soon). I took tech interviews for other bootcamps in order to gain practice for the immersive program that I plan on joining: Codesmith. However, I would not have been able to have the confidence or the skills required to pass the technical interviews without taking CS Prep.

Overall, I loved my experience with CS Prep. I enjoyed learning from the instructors Ryan & Shane. Ryan & Shane are both so passionate about teaching and coding that their enthusiasm permeates throughout the whole course. I learned so much not only from the instructors but also from highly motivated students.

• Daniel • Software Engineer • Graduate

Prior to Codesmith, I knew I wanted to further my skills as a software engineer, but didn't know which bootcamp to go with. These are a few of the reasons I chose to go with Codesmith.

1. Better outcomes

The fact that most of their grads get jobs as mid to senior level developers after graduating and their superior salary results definitely appealed to me. The website says the average for NY Codesmith grads is 112K but the current average is something like 130-135 now. Codesmith really sets you up for success and gives you the confidence that these salaries are achievable. To give some context, I graduated about 6 weeks ago and received my first 2 offers 2 weeks ago for mid-level software engineering positions and have another on-site interview with a FAANG company.

2. Rigorous interviewing process

I actually first interviewed with Hack Reactor and I got in through an extremely easy interviewing process. However, I didn't think much of it since I didn't find any part of their program particularly unique or attractive. Additionally, the Hack Reactor interviewer told me that I solved the problems he asked me faster than any of the candidates that he's ever interviewed, and I was surprised by this. I was looking for an environment in which I'd be surrounded by smart and knowledgeable individuals so I could learn more and I was definitely not looking to be the best problem solver in the room.

When I went through Codesmith's interview process, I could tell right away that they were looking for more than someone who know the basics of Javascript and can solve a simple algorithm problem. They asked questions about programming concepts that most other bootcamps wouldn’t ask and they wanted to see if you are a good technical and cultural fit for their program. Moreover, their final production projects were a lot more impressive than the ones I saw at other bootcamps/residencies. I figured that this was the best residency if I wanted to push myself.

3. Hiring support/staff/community

I got a good sense of what the community was like during the couple of times I attended their Hard Parts meetups so I highly recommend checking that out if you are thinking of choosing Codesmith. Furthermore, the hiring support after graduating was amazing. You get mock interview support to practice for the real interviews and bi-weekly check ins to see how you’re doing and potentially give you feedback on how to improve. Shout out to Will and Phil, who were actually my references for one of the companies I was interviewing for, and as a result I received an offer from the company! Also, shout out to Eric, who is there to help you get an offer and after you receive an offer, he literally holds your hand every step of the way of the negotiating process so that you get a much better offer than what you were already satisfied with.

Overall, the entire community is great and Codesmith really provides you with the technical skills, communication skills, talented people and confidence to excel in this industry. Highly recommend!

• Best decision
    - 5/14/2019
    Carson • Graduate

CodeSmith taught me data structures, algorithms, React, Node, SQL and NoSQL. In addition, it taught me how to think and communication as an engineer.

The course structure is fast-paced and challenging. It is designed to constantly pushing for your limits. I also formed tight bonds with the cohort mates due to everyone being very supportive of each other.

The hiring program is also another major piece of the puzzle of getting your first software engineering job.

This is not a program for you to come to class and leave like a college course. To make the most out of the experience, you should put your best effort into it. And you will be rewarded for your effort

• Franklin • Graduate

If you're looking for a purely objective criteria for figuring out whether to attend to Codesmith, then you can easily find the average salary of its graduates on the website. It's a little over 110k. I just recently graduated and about half of my cohort has signed or is in the process of signing offers with cool companies with great salaries (in line with or above the average) within 1 month of graduation and I am highly confident the rest will have signed offers within 3-6 months.

Now that we have gotten that out of the way, I am going to highlight some of the other aspects of Codesmith that are also important in making Codesmith an invaluable experience and setting it apart from other programs.

1. The curriculum

Over the course of the program you will dive into technologies including but not limited to React, Redux, Node, Express, Mongo, Postgres. Also, Codesmith is devoted to continually updating the curriculum and adding value based on alumni feedback. They added an AWS module to the curriculum (my cohort was the first to receive it), after hearing that most of their graduates are interfacing with AWS in some way.

Pair-programming is one of the main pillars of learning and growing as a resident at Codesmith and you will be engaging in it for the majority of your first six-weeks at Codesmith. So if you don't work well with others then Codesmith might not be the program for you.

2. The staff

The instructors at Codesmith are all super knowledgable, super passionate, and can break down complex topics into manageable chunks really well, but don't take my word for it. Every Thursday night Codesmith hosts a free meetup called Javascript The Hard Parts, where they deep dive into advanced javascript concept such as closures, or higher-order functions. I was blown away by the level of detail, how much I learned, and the amount of clarity I left with by just attending their free workshop. Phill (The lead of NY) and Will (CEO) who usually teach the meetup are also instructors during the residency so you know you will be getting that same great experience throughout the program as well.

The fellows are also very hardworking and help round out the experience by providing help sometimes even long after the day has "officially ended". Examples range from helping you to understand that concept/algorithm/technology to providing guidance on whipping your resume into shape. The fellows are all instances of empathy in engineering and a big part of the reason that the community is so great.

Can’t forget the non-technical staff as well. Software engineering is mostly technical but there is a value in soft skills as well. And it’s very helpful in having people there to help in those areas as well.

3. Amazing Cohorts

The class sizes are small. My cohort had a total of 16 residents - all with varying technical backgrounds, from less technical (on paper) to computer science degrees. Going through a program like Codesmith with a small class size allows you to really connect with your fellow cohort-mates. It's really easy to bond with your fellow residents after struggling and challenging one another to push and continually break through each other's limits to get to the next level over the course of three months. I have made connections and bonds with my cohort that I will foster for the rest of my career as a software engineer.

4. Projects / Production Project

Codesmith is fast paced. Most of the lectures take place within the first four weeks and after that you will working mostly on projects moving forward. You will work on solo, scratch, iteration, production, and reinforcement projects.  Each of these projects allow you to gain greater experience and depth with technologies learned in the earlier part of the program as well as those technologies that are not covered but you might have an interest it.

The most important project out of these is the production project. For the production project you will have about 4-5 weeks to dive deep into certain technologies with a group of residents. It really is amazing what the cohort can accomplish in this time. Again, don't take my word for it, you can check out some of them at https://www.codesmith.io/software-engineering-immersive-projects. I don't think other programs are producing these types of projects.

4. The community

A new cohort starts every six weeks. Your first six weeks is your junior phase, and the next six weeks after that is the senior phase. Juniors and seniors utilize the same space. When you just start the program it helps to have a group of people who just went through the same process that you are about to through as well. Not only do you have your own cohort mates to network and connect with you have the one before you, when you are in the junior phase as well, as the one after you, when you enter the senior phase as well. Of course, you also have access to all of the other Codesmith alumni working at great companies as well.

5.  Hiring Support

The hiring program at Codesmith might be worth about half of the cost of the program alone. As you progress through the latter half of the program you will start the hiring phase. This includes countless resume iterations that will get your resume in the best shape it probably has ever been, how to negotiate your salary, and how to approach the job search, and more.

Even after you graduate there are check-ins every two weeks to see how things are going in your job search and they will help you iterate on your approach based on your feedback. You can even schedule mock interviews with Codesmith as well.

All that being said, it feels weird calling Codesmith a bootcamp. Codesmith, is a software engineering residency that will undoubtly change the course of your life.

Shout outs to Will, Phil, Ryan, Dave, Olivia, Kyle, Victoria, Joel, Christine, Raphael, and Altai and cohorts 8,9 and 10.

• My 2 cents
    - 5/10/2019
    Victor • Graduate

There are already a lot of reviews that focus on what the program is like and why they personally enjoyed it. So instead I will just make two points that I believe are important:

​1. Who Should Go To Codesmith

There is a reason why Will (the founder) markets CS as a residency for experienced engineers — it is because the value that the program provides grows exponentially with the more experience you have.

I wanna stress this because I feel that a lot of people might fall for this narrative: "I feel like I already know too much to join a bootcamp". And this could not be more false when it comes to CS. If you do not have a job that pays 120k+, then this program is for you (assuming you want one of course). And the reason is that the core value of CS is NOT the technical knowledge it provides: we all have access to the Internet, you can learn everything here. The value lies on the engineering narrative you will build while being exposed 14hrs+/day in a structured way to modern technologies that companies value nowadays.

2. How Codesmith Gets You A Job

I will reason about this from my personal narrative. So I finished the program and I start following the very specific and detailed instructions on how to apply for jobs. I started getting phone screens, then a few take homes, but it wasn't after a few onsite interviews that I realized how CS had actually prepared me for this process.

Looking back to the interviews, I started noticing that a lot of the questions I was asked were in the shape of "have you ever heard of this technology?" or "do you have any experience working with X". And that is where the CS experience comes into play: having spent over 14hrs/day being exposed to modern technologies and "living" with people that share your same interest, I could instantly relate those questions to my experience in CS. Whether it was during a morning coffee chat or during one of the exercise units, I had indeed heard of it.

So tldr: I highly recommend Codesmith to anyone that is really passionate about software engineering. It will be tough, but — as they say — trust the process and the rewards are very real.

• CSPrep
    - 4/25/2019
    Dean • Graduate

For anyone looking for a prep course to get into any bootcamp, CSPrep is the ideal preparatory course.  Our instructor, Ryan, is the most passionate educator I have ever come across and his energy permeates through each student.  CSPrep students come from different backgrounds and varying levels of experience, and Ryan does a phenomenal job at creating an all inclusive, judgement free environment to ensure the most optimal learning experience for every student.  The course moves at an relatively high pace, exploring major Javascript and general coding concepts such as higher order functions & callbacks, closures, recursion, and algorithmic problem solving.  Each session consists of a problem solving/live coding session, diagramming of that day's programming topic, and pair programming.  In my opinion, pair programming is the most crucial component of CSPrep as it provides students with an environment to master their technical communication and to learn how to effectively collaborate with others, both of which are vital to an engineer's career.  Lastly, as far as I am aware, CSPrep's course is never stagnant.  Ryan is very open to feedback and is constantly looking for ways to improve the curriculum to best fit his students' needs.  Whether you come from experience or not, CSPrep is a great way to get your feet wet and experience Codesmith's brilliant curriculum first hand.

• Gilbert R. • Student

CS Prep is a great program to be a part of. It’s filled with a diverse class of people trying to get better at being a problem solver and fluent at the tool-set which Javascript provides.

Throughout the course, Ryan delves into the fundamentals that will pave the way to being a more autonomous problem solver. You are actively participating and engaging with ever challenging questions and problems. Sometimes you know the answer and more than often you don’t, but it’s that intellectual vulnerability that allows you to learn and further cement that knowledge at those moments.

Ryan cares about each of the students’ success in the course. He is fully transparent about his role and what he expects from each of us. This makes the course become more than a mere transaction, and more of a mutual learning space of respect and support. The students in CS Prep are really rooting for each others’ success. Ryan follows up with you and makes sure you felt you got what you expected out of the two weeks. Weeks after my CS Prep cohort ended, we’re still actively sharing resources and asking questions to one another, and in my case, still meeting up with fellow colleagues to study and practice peer programming.

Like any learning endeavor, you really do get what you put in. I spent a good amount of time revisiting problem after peer programming to make sure I would be able to solve them on my own. I’ve heard other students echo this experience themselves. You are investing in yourself when taking on a program like CS Prep and I do think it’s a worthwhile program.

This program is a prep course for the Immersive program. I recommend it to people who have done their due diligence of research and are committed to their career pivot, further education, or need that extra clarity on hard Javascript concepts.

• Patrick Slagle • Software Engineer • Graduate

It’s real, it works, and it can work for you.

The purpose of this review is to give a little inside to the program, but mostly explain how it’s possible that you can enter this program without a previous software related job and leave with job offers on average of $105,000. For me looking into the program it was something I truly believed in, but now on the other side it makes a lot of sense.

A little inside to myself so you can put this in perspective. Before I started my pursuit for Codesmith, I worked in Construction Management and had no previous coding experience, but after two months of applying (post graduation) and over 100 applications I got the offer I wanted at Capital One. And I wouldn’t say I’m the exception, but more so, the norm of a Codesmith student. One that hasn’t really coded before. One of the cooler things of this program is seeing people from all different walks of life. But regardless of their previous coding experience, they’ve all had success.

I’m sure you have the same thought I did, this is too good to be true… But let me explain. First off, you’re not becoming a software developer in three months, the journey is a bit longer than that. To get into Codesmith you need to already have solid Javascript skills, but nothing you can’t teach yourself. I spent a few hours after work a couple times a week until I was strong enough to get into the program. For some, this could be a few weeks (if you studied heavily), for others it could take months (if you studied more intermittently like I did), it really depends how much time you put into it. If you have any questions for what to study, visit Codesmith or one of their easy/hard part sessions. They’ll point you in the right direction and you can get a better feel for the program. To be honest, if you have any interest in this program, you probably should stop reading these reviews and just GO to one of those sessions. You’ll learn a lot more about the experience, why I loved this place, and how this is all true.

But... if you’re still reading, I’ll continue explaining.

Once you get into this program you already have a solid understanding of Javascript, which is more than a lot of the people in the industry know about Javascript. And I’m serious about this. The rise of Javascript is pretty recent, especially front end frameworks like React, and there’s a BIG demand for developers who know this. Most people in the industry just haven’t had the time to pick this up these skills and keep up with them. At my work I’m lucky if I get to spend an hour a day trying to pick up new tech, and even luckier if I get to work on a new language. Meanwhile by the time you’ve got into Codesmith you’ll have no problem writing Javascript algorithms. And THEN the next three months at Codesmith you REALLY dive into the language. Like twelve hours a day of coding and learning at the fastest rate of your life. Once you’ve considered this, it doesn’t seem to crazy that someone would hire you as a front-end developer building in React or full-stack with Node. In my case, I got a company to hire me to build in Angular and Java (even though I had NO experience in either, they were confident I could learn both).

That brings me to my last point.. Codesmith teaches you how to get hired and be hirable. After the program ends they organize meet ups, mock interviews, and follow ups with you. There’s also great interactive lectures, and lessons on how to get hired and succeed in interviews. This may seem weird or you could question the necessity of this, but trust me it makes the jump from being a good coder to getting hired. Unfortunately, knowing how to code and being a successful interviewer are almost two different skills. Honestly, the challenge of getting hired out of this program isn’t the lack of knowledge, it's the perception that there’s no way you could have that knowledge after “three months,” or going to a “boot camp.” With Codesmith’s emphasis on being hirable, you’re able to past this perception, and get back to whats important, your software knowledge and being able to work with a team. One of the things I haven’t mentioned yet but is important to note, Codesmith has a strong culture on being a team player and focusing on technical communication. This not only makes you a good candidate, but again will help you shine a bit more in your interviews.

Overall though, this program was one of the best things I’ve ever done. I was able to switch from an industry I didn’t want to be in, to an amazing one I wanted to be a part of. It was three of the hardest months, but honestly, three of the best months as well. I had a lot of hesitation joining a program that was so intense, thinking.. how the hell could I code for over 12 hours a day? But the community and culture there is so strong its easy to love it there.

If you’re thinking about this program, please go to their easy / hard parts lessons. Also feel free to ask me any questions, I’m more than happy to help.

• Bruce • Graduate

CS Prep is a fantastic resource to get started as a software engineer. Ryan, the instructor, truly has a gift for teaching in a way that breaks down complex concepts into digestable fundamentals. He's also superbly interesting and clearly passionate about what he's teaching. The curriculum itself is pretty standard, covering the must-know concepts before you're admitted to an elite coding bootcamp like Codesmith ... functions, higher order functions, closures, recursion ... but the magic comes during paired programming and Ryan's live coding of each day's problems. Many times during CS Prep I had an "eureka!" moment as Ryan broke down coding challenges and explained each step carefully.

Another great aspect of CS Prep is the community. You'll be coding along other very motivated students, some of whom are working together in the CS Prep Slack after each class. We share resources and even help each other on code review. Learning coding solo is tough, but you'll have a community to help your coding journey with CS Prep.

If you're set on doing Codesmith in the future, then doing CS Prep is a no-brainer. If you're considering other bootcamps or want to apply to junior dev positions, CS Prep will still give you a valuable boost towards your goals. The learning I got not only helped me get into Codesmith's Software Engineering Immersive, but also gave me the valuable tools and mindsets to tackle any technical challenge.

• DB • Software Engineer • Graduate

Let me start my review by saying if you are considering switching your career to tech, or debating which program to take, just trust all the amazing reviews here and choose Codesmith. I think the result speakers for itself. I finished the program in late Jan 2019. Within  6 weeks, I received 2 offers and more leads in the pipeline.

I started going to Codesmith’s Hard Parts for about 4 months learning JS fundamentals before enrolling into the program. I studied and worked in finance for many years with no prior computer science or coding experience whatsoever. One thing that makes Codesmith different from all the other programs is the high technical requirement. I was actually accepted by another reputable program when I didn’t even think I was ready. Setting the enrollment bar high showed me that they truly cared about students’ success, not about making money! Everyone from my cohort mates, to the fellows, to the leaders at Codesmith was so involved and caring about each other.

Another thing I’d like to point out is that yes, you can learn everything by yourself or go to take some courses elsewhere, but what really set Codesmith apart from any other programs is the EXCEPTIONAL hiring support - this is priceless in my opinion. You learn how to interview - technically and culturally, you get 3 one-on-one help/feedback sessions on your resume and online profiles, you learn how to negotiate offers and so much more! After graduation, you still have ongoing support for job hunting. I have some friends who have gone to other programs at the same time. They were amazed by the level of support and commitment that Codesmith offered to its graduates.

This whole experience was so rewarding and humbling. I could have never dreamt of switching my career this smoothly. There is no way I could have done it without everyone's support at Codesmith.

• CS Prep works!
    - 4/2/2019
    Amy • Applicant

I took CS Prep to help bridge the gap between self preparation and the software immersion program and it was definitely worth it. I've taught in postsecondary education for years and can say that Ryan is the best online instructor that I've ever seen. He's very knowledgeable and will push you to do your best. The pace of the course moves fairly quickly but that ensures that all the necessary topis are covered. I took another prep course at a competitor school -- that is also highly rated in NY -- and CS Prep was a much better experience. Topics were delved into at a much deeper level and more thoroughly. If you're going to spend money on a prep course, CS Prep is the way to go.

• James S. • Graduate

I had a really good experience at Codesmith.  I came from an electrical engineering background with some programming experience.  Going through Codesmith's program accelerated my learning rate and improved my technical communication.

Getting into the program is similar to interviewing for a job where they select you based on culture fit and technical knowledge.  The curriculum is great as it touches on a lot of different technology and concepts.  You'll be going through 2 day challenges through pair programming developing your knowledge in different tech stacks and working in group projects to reinforce what was taught.

What makes Codesmith such an enoyable experience is the environment they create.  They created an environment for you to work alongside others who have the same passion and drive as you, allowing you to grow and thrive.  I can personally say that I would not be able to put in that many hours on a daily basis if I had done that kind of work just by myself.  I looked forward to working with my classmates/cohort every day.  Everyone there, including the staff, are so positive and encouraging that you tend to lose track of time because you're having a good time there.

The job outreach program is there for you during and after the program.  They provide mock interviews, phone screens, and check your progress as you're applying and provide support if/when needed.

• CSPrep Review
    - 3/18/2019
    Jason Wei • Student

As someone with very limited experience with coding and even knowing where to start with learning how to code, I was very happy to find Codesmith. Codesmith has three main sections - CSX (online prep tool), CSPrep (two week online class) and Software Immersive (full time bootcamp). I started by signing up for their free CSX program, which allowed me to work through each part of the curriculum at my own pace. The problems are designed to have you figure them out and work through them without a lot of hand holding, which was tough at first but really helped you learn. From there I applied for CSPrep, which was an incredible experience. Our class of about 15-20 students all logged in each night with webcams. For being online, the class was designed to be very interactive - you definitely had to be alert and ready to answer questions. We also pair programmed each night with a partner, which is one of the foundational tenets of Codesmith's teaching philosophy. I would highly recommend applying for CSPrep if you have any interest in starting your coding career.

• CSPrep
    - 3/4/2019
    Aidan • Student

CS Prep filled in several big gaps I had in my understanding of Javascript. Ryan is an excellent teacher who is committed to helping his students embrace the process of hard learning while also providing clear and helpful instruction. CS Prep will prepare you to tackle coding challenges and progress your own learning once the class is over. It's also a great way to connect with other people who are on a similar path of learning. I definitely recommend taking this course!

• CS PREP
    - 2/28/2019
    Mike

After attending CS PREP online,  it definitely gets you ready for Codesmith or any other bootcamps.  The course is well organized and curriculum is well laid out. I do advise to take their CSX prep online before attending because in some scenarios will jump from zero to sixty pretty fast.   I’m not sure will this be the same for all CS PREP course, but the one I attended created a network of great programming peers who are eager to learn as much as I do. A shout-out to our instructor Ryan as well for creating and embracing that peer to peer support environment.

• Resident
    - 2/15/2019
    Eric • Graduate

I had close to no experience when I came to Codesmith. From that perspective, it was really hard to differentiate all the different schools. It was very hard to compare mainly because I did not have the knowledge to evaluate curricula. In the end, I ended up choosing Codesmith because of the communal environment that i experienced during their free lectures environment and the emphasis placed on the project building phase of the program. I just graduated the program and am very happy with my choice. I was able to build some great full stack applications and am particularly proud of React-Quantum, a devtool that visualizes the component hierarchy of a React app and highlights components that perform poorly in terms of render time.

I recently graduated so have not had the ability to fully take advantage of job assistance program but feel that the lectures and aid I have received so far will be invaluable through my job search. They helped me frame myself in a way that fully represents my knowledge and skills without making myself feel like I am overembellishing

I had a great experience at Codesmith and would recommend it to anyone that wants to push their limits and build some great things.

• Resident
    - 2/14/2019
    Brian • Graduate

13-week immersive full-stack web development residency that focuses heavily on pair programming, technical communication and community. Cohort-sizes range from 12-16 and you really build a strong connection with everyone as you do a deep dive into Node.js, Express, React, Redux, Build tools, etc. After the first half, we built really high level projects involving server side rendering, kubernetes, graphQL, and  react component efficiency. Everyone gets at least one chance to do a deep dive into a high level topic by giving a 15 minute tech talk in front of your cohort-mates. The new space in NYC is beautiful and it is minutes from delicious chinatown food. In the final week, we are done coding and the job preparation lectures and workshops are solid in terms of perfecting your resume, online profiles and application strategies. I'm going to miss this place but I definitely plan to drop by once in a while in the future!

• Graduate
    - 2/5/2019
    Meka • Graduate

My Journey with Codesmith started wiht "JavaScript, The Hard Parts" (as i presume with most). At the time i searched on Switchup and Codesmith was rated Numero Uno and flooded with loads of positive views. Naturally I was skeptical, any rational thinking human would be--- i mean life will teach you that when anything sounds too good to be true, thread lightly. But Codesmith was different the moment i walked into JSHP, the care and positivity moved from the very top, through the staff and to the random joe who just walked into the building. Im telling you, its an energy thing!

Now the curriculum is no joke!!!! DUH --- its an IMMERSIVE program... you have 12weeks to test your brain/mind capacity and speaking from my own personal experience... if you trust your mind, it won't dissapoint you. The common saying is "Trust the Process" . This is true, the only person in your way, is really you, and i know how cheesy that sounds but it is so true, the moment i learned to get out of my own way, the moment it started to click. And the faculty have classes designed to help you deal with each stage of the "Process" (there goes that word again). So they cover  all the bases from: tackling algorithms, pair programming, how to deal with imposter syndrome, how to tackle interviews (this i never thought of as a skill to master but it sooo is), they have fellows and technical mentors who are always Willing to help... think about that for a hot sec ... when was the last time you went to an entity/office/organization and the staff is invested in you learning. Like, they get genuine satisfaction from you improving... that is their reward.

I loved the curriculum, it was a challenge for me, but how do you grow if not through adversities and the tougher the road, the stronger you become and I am glad i went through it. My knowledge of programming after codesmith compared to before codesmith .... I honestly do not know what units to use to quantify.

You are always family and they checkin on your interview process after the programme to see where you may need help. Amazing!

Meka

• Andrew Wong • Full Stack Developer • Graduate

I was extremely skeptical of most coding bootcamps: especially ones that provide seemingly lofty promises with regards to your career success. After some lengthy research and consideration, I decided to show up to a JavaScript hard parts lecture at Codesmith to see what they were all about. That single lecture changed my mind about what bootcamps can offer, and it cemented my idea to finally commit three months of my life to the Software Engineering Immersive program. I ended up going with Codesmith not only because of the excellent teachings of Will Sentance, but because they seemed to aim higher than other bootcamps. Most schools are satisfied with their graduates getting entry-level jobs, but Codesmith promises to go above and beyond to help students bolster their career with well-paying, mid or senior level positions. At this point, the real question is: have they pulled through? My answer is a resounding "yes".

First of all, I have to compliment Codesmith's ability to choose the right people. All of the people that worked alongside me in my cohort were very friendly, eager to learn, and great to work with. Codesmith works hard to ensure that all of their students work together to help each other succeed.

The rigor of the curriculum is definitely no joke. Even though the program lasts for only three months, Codesmith does a good job at concentrating your time on the things that matter. The subjects they teach evolve as quickly as the market does and you can be confident that everything you learn at Codesmith will be relevant and up to date.

Now, as a full-time developer, I can confidently say that attending Codesmith was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would highly recommend anyone looking to change careers or bolster existing knowledge to consider Codesmith as their school of choice.

• Like no other
    - 1/28/2019
    Aaron • Software Engineer • Graduate

Before Codesmith, I attended another well known bootcamp in the city. I was fortunate enough to graduate and was hired as an assistant instructor a couple months later. Although I felt confident landing a junior dev job after my experience, I also felt like I was missing some very core JS and CS knowledge. I stumbled upon Codesmith randomly when one of my students posted a meetup in slack on closures. I figured that this would not only benefit my knowledge but my ability to teach the language well enough to my students. A few minutes in, I realized I was sitting in on what seemed like another bootcamp but something about Will's rhetoric made me see otherwise.

Learning core JS topics such as the Event Loop, the prototype chain, and closures were things I didn't get a chance to deep deep into at my last bootcamp. Technical communication was something we did not prioritize in our curriculum but Codesmith looked at this as one of the most important aspects of a good engineer. The fact that Codesmith grads were landing mid-level positions after graduating also made me realize how different this in-fact was. I knew I could benefit two-fold from this experience, gaining valuable training in becoming an autonomous engineer, as well as preparing myself for a mid-level engineering role or better. All in all, everything about the curriculum was solid, far above the average bootcamp, but the real selling point was the Codesmith community. Having a chance to talk to the engineers in the residency and the staff, I got a sense of being in a place where people were truly invested in my success. The office was very warm and welcoming even as a guest. The commitment to peer programming and encouragement to mingle after JSHP got me excited for what could be, and I am here to say that it did not disappoint.

During my time at Codesmith, I had the pleasure of meeting and working with some of the most diverse individuals in the world. From a professor of Philosophy, to a junior architect, Codesmith's program goes to show that technical chops is not the most important aspect of a solid engineer (although you will definitely be challenged, even if you have a technical background). The long nights of talking code and breaking through blocks was something I hadn't experienced before, even as a college student. We built everyday, pushed ourselves at every moment, and I am grateful for the process. I was able to land a mid-level position a couple months after graduating due to the intense curriculum and amazing hiring program that will change the way you outreach for positions.I more than quadrupled my income, now earning a 6-figure salary with an outstanding startup company in Soho. And although this outcome has been life-changing, the real reward will be the skills I gained in becoming a framework agnostic engineer and the family I gained during my time. Codesmith truly is like no other.

• Jim • Student

Codesmith has to be one of the best decisions I have made for my career.

I have attended another bootcamp before and the depth they go into a stack does not come close to Codesmith. In other bootcamps, they will teach you how to build an app, but Codesmith will go beyond that. They will go in depth on how JavaScript is working under the hood, best practices, design patterns, advanced algorithms, etc.

Not only is the course rigorous, yet rewarding, it is the culture here that really stands out. Everyone, from the staff to the TA's to the students, all put in long hours, support each other and go deep into the technologies we use. Everyone stays late to explore new technologies and build amazing projects, most of which are tools for other developers! Many students and grads are contributing to the open source community and sharing knowledge to the public through speaking events.

What convinced me and made me pull the trigger to attend was going to their weekly JavaScript the Hard Parts. If you are on the fence or skeptical, attend one of Codesmith's weekly workshops and you will see why this place is different from all the other schools.

• A wise choice!
    - 1/24/2019
    Darryl Amour • Software Engineer • Graduate

Bravo!! More value delivered than thought was possible. I came to Codesmith with a BSc. Computer Information Systems under my belt with past industry experience.  Codesmith is abosolutely phonomenal in what they provide. Most schools I investigated seemed concerned with just the core curriculum and was very dodgy when it came to discussing how they supported the student with job search once complete.  With Codesmith they provide many free ways for you to prepare before being admitted to a cohort.  They are not concerned with just having you complete, but really are committed to you becoming an exprienced Engineer that have been challenged, instructured and nurtured. An Engineer that not only can accomplish senior level challenges but can effectively communicate and function as part of a high performing team.

The Codesmith Team is amazing, their culture is exactly what you need when being pushed outside your comfort zone, giving you the necessary support to believe in yourself while stretching for excellence. Your last week is filled with hiring focused lectures, no false promises but lots of tools get out and become a productive and effective Mid to Senior Engineer.

If you are still in doubt, attend one of their JavaScript - The Hard Parts - Prep Session.  You will get a taste and will want more.

Cheers to making a wise choice and joining the Software Engineering revolution!

Humbly & Sincerely,

Darryl

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

98% of job obtainers reported salaries.

We are proud that a large percentage of our grads accept offers of over $110,000, making Codesmith Los Angeles the program with the highest CIRR certified starting salary in LA for this time period.

For transparency, here are the starting salary breakdowns of our graduates from 1/01/2018 - 6/30/2018:
  • $110,000 - 119,999: 17.5%