codesmith-logo

Codesmith

Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online

Codesmith

Codesmith offers a full-time, 12-week full stack software engineering bootcamp in Los Angeles and New York City. Codesmith is a selective, need-blind program focusing largely on computer science and full-stack JavaScript, with an emphasis on technologies like React, Redux, Node, build tools, Dev Ops and machine learning. This program enables Codesmith students (known as Residents) to build open-source projects, with the aim of moving into positions as skilled software engineers. Codesmith Residents become engineers, not technicians, through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms and data structures), and object-oriented and functional programming. Codesmith helps residents develop strong problem-solving abilities and technical communication skills – valued capacities in a software engineer.

The Codesmith admissions process involves a written application with optional coding questions, a nontechnical interview, and a technical interview. Codesmith offers a number of free resources for preparing for the admissions process including in-person and online coding workshops, a 2-week online prep course (CS Prep), and an online JavaScript learning platform (CSX).

Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides Residents through whiteboarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues upon graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer roles.

Recent Codesmith Reviews: Rating 4.88

all (301) reviews for Codesmith →

Recent Codesmith News

Read all (20) articles about Codesmith →
  • CS Prep

JavaScript, jQuery, Algorithms, Front End
    $750
    CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.
    No deposit
    We offer tuition payment plans and many scholarships for the course. The tuition you pay for CS Prep will roll over to the Software Engineering Immersive tuition.
    We offer case by case payment plans, please reach out to csprep@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / Guarantee
    If you pass the CS Prep assessment you are guaranteed a technical interview with our full time Codesmith Program. Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case by case basis.
    We offer multiple scholarships to CS Prep, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Suitable for beginners who are ready to level up to intermediate and advanced material.
    We recommend some familiarity with the content in the Precourse Unit on CSX - our free online learning platform - https://csx.codesmith.io/.
  • JavaScript for Beginners

JavaScript
    November 2, 2019
    $300
    JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour, remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals and how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.
    No Deposit
    This course has scholarships available, and the tuition you pay for JavaScript for Beginners rolls over and can be applied towards the tuition of our more advanced programs.
    We offer case-by-case payment plans, please reach out to jsforbeginners@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / Guarantee
    Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case-by-case basis.
    We offer multiple scholarships to JavaScript for Beginners, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    This course is designed for those with no coding experience!
    We recommend completing Part 1 of the Precourse on CSX, our free online learning platform, before you start the course: https://csx.codesmith.io/units/precourse
    November 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
    November 2, 2019 - OnlineApply by October 23, 2019
  • Software Engineering Immersive Program

October 28, 2019
    New York City, Los Angeles
    The Codesmith program teaches computer science, full-stack JavaScript (notably React and Node), software architecture, Dev Ops, and machine learning, preparing graduates for mid to senior engineering positions. The course also features preparatory material, extensive hiring preparation, and ongoing support with students’ job searches.
    We have financing partnerships available as well as case by case payment plans! Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Refunds are distributed on a case by case basis but are available.
    Codesmith offers 4 types of scholarships -those to students underrepresented in the technology community, women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarships, as well as scholarships to prior bootcamp grads.
    Prior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    4 weeks
    October 28, 2019 - New York CityApply by October 28, 2019
    December 16, 2019 - New York CityApply by December 16, 2019
    November 25, 2019 - Los AngelesApply by November 25, 2019

• Hubert  User Photo
    Hubert • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I'm writing this review as I finally cleared my background check for my mid-level offer after 1 month of graduating from Codesmith in order to shine light for those who are in my position 4 months ago.

In that sense, I'll speak to what I wish I would have read before making the leap to Codesmith. If you're reading this, you've probably narrowed down your choices to the top bootcamps - Fullstack, HR, App Academy - but maybe you've heard of Codesmith or went to JS the Hard Parts. That was me and I was ready to go to Fullstack until I went to one workshop and immediately changed my mind.

To me the big 3 differentiators of Codesmith are:

1. Results.

In the end, that's what we care about right? Codesmith has been consistently getting its graduates 6 figure salaries and now they have the audited data to prove it. If you go to CIRR, you can see their average salary way over any bootcamp in NY, and I believe the US. Some bootcamps even started leaving off their results because of how bad it's gotten. As I recently interviewed, I can speak to why - the industry is getting fierce as bootcamps and colleges are churning out more and more grads. While other bootcamps stayed complacent, Codesmith innovated - as the hiring program is phenomenal and is not comparable to anything else offered. Other bootcamps just tell you to make your resume look pretty and give you mock interviews but Codesmith's hiring program seriously prepares you to not only pass the interviews, but to get the interviews - which is the most important part. Coming out of a bootcamp, especially with no experience, you're already going to have a hard time getting interviews but not Codesmith grads. Some people in my cohort had to disable their notifications because they were getting spammed with interview requests by recruiters.

2. Community

Well, now you're probably wondering if Codesmith has such great results, why aren't they as well known as all the others? Well, its because Codesmith doesn't go for guerilla marketing like others. When I was googling coding terms, and even now, I couldn't go 5 minutes without seeing a Fullstack Academy ad. When I finished Hack Reactor Prep, I couldn't go 5 days without seeing an email reminder telling me to sign up for the next cohort. Why? Because those bootcamps were acquired and are incentivized work to increase their bottom line and churn out grads. I didn't want to feel like I was just another face in a sea of students. Codesmith doesn't do guerilla marketing and keeps its cohorts small, having only 2 in person running at each time. One in their senior phase, to mentor the juniors, who are in the beginning phase. That way education quality is upheld, more individual attention can be given, and everyone forms lasting relationships.

3. Project

If you check out the Codesmith projects, you'll realize why grads get only mid level offers or higher. Instead of building some slack/airbnb clone or some random thing no one will ever use, grads are building developer tools that people actually use. Trust me - when your interviewer hears that your project was starred by core team members of the framework you're USING - I promise you they'll be impressed.

In the end, if you work hard enough, you can join the Codesmith family of software engineers, all whose lives have been changed by this experience. I encourage anyone out there learning to code to keep working hard, and come to a Thursday night workshop at Codesmith and see what it really is all about!

• Michele Moody • Engineering Fellow • Graduate

Coming to Codesmith has been one of the best decisions I've made. The program makes a concerted effort to bring up students that are underrepresented in the STEM community. As a female and a member of the LGBTQ community, I felt absolutely at home at Codesmith. Not only do they make an active effort to include women in their cohorts and staff, but they tackle issues that women frequently face in engineering programs by including lectures on imposter syndrome and implicit bias in their curriculum. The effort that the program puts into inclusion shows - women and engineers from underrepresented backgrounds thrive here. I have made friends and allies at Codesmith that I plan on keeping in touch with for years to come.

Through the 13 week program, I built applications that provide real utility to developers onboarding new technologies. I come from a non-technical marketing background, but I’ve always loved problem-solving and wanted to move into programming. After completion of the program, I have grown in ways that I never predicted and I feel prepared to enter the workforce as a technically strong, highly communicative, passionate software engineer.

• Resident
    - 9/27/2019
    Devon Vaccarino • Student

Codesmith has been a life changing since I've been here.  Not only have I grown extremely close to all of my cohort mates but I've had the chance to build some incredible technology.

The curriculum has an enormous focus on learning through pair-programming and solidifying that understanding through building apps/dev tools.  Without Codesmith's mentoring, guidance, and structure I don't think I would have had either the motivation or the engineering prowess to build a cli tool, npm module, and web app to convert React class components to functional components with hooks syntax.

• Taylor • Software Engineer • Student

I attended the Codesmith coding school, and I was appreciative that event the intial entrance process required me to grow as an engineer, but gave me the resources to do so. Throughout the program, I not only grew exponentially as an engineer, as a systems architect, as a problem solver, but also as a person. I'm thankful for the entire codesmith community I have around me, and the network this program has given me to move into my dream job. The hiring portion is so well-informed and so intentional, and I look forward to using these tools well into my career.

• Miguelin Suarez • Student

I’m a total newbie and I want to be a software engineer.  I want to be prepared as much as I can before I dive deep into coding bootcamp.  After intensive research (ranking more than 15 schools), I concluded that Codesmith was the one for me.  I enrolled in their JavaScript for Beginners and was excited to take that first step in my coding journey.

I know that there’s a lot of free materials out there, but here are the reasons why I paid for the course (and why it’s worth it for me):

1. the tuition fees from Javascript Beginners get deducted when you take Codesmith’s next course (CSPrep or the 12 week immersive).  Since I’m going all the way to immersive, than I’m basically getting a free Basics course.

2. The experience of doing pair programming which you can’t get by studying alone.  Pair programming brings a lot of benefits:

A) it helps you get unstuck if you encounter a problem that you can’t seem to solve.  As they say, 2 heads are better than one.

B) it helps you develop those soft skills (communication) that are in high demand in software engineering jobs.  In fact, on day 1 our instructor (Jinsung, she’s awesome) insisted on these soft skills and helped us develop them.  Now, I automatically think not only on how to create code, but how to communicate it effectively to others.

1. The camaraderie you develop with your cohort.  Codesmith’s values are about helping each other and forming a community.  And all my cohorts were very supportive and helpful. One group built a fantastic project using codes that were new to me.  So I asked if I could study what they did and they immediately sent me the code for my reference. We all have our group in slack and everyone is willing to help quickly.

2. Time.  Yes, I got to study the basics and build an adventure game in just 2 Saturdays.  If I studied on my own, then I wouldn’t have been able to achieve so much in such a short span of time.

3. Bonus: our instructor (Jinsung) and the intangibles she taught us in class.  She’s a great teacher. She taught us how to create code (not just learn how to code), to think like an engineer, and communicate our codes well.  I learned diagramming and technical communication. Things that are hard to learn from self study.

So, there you have it.  My 5 reasons as to why Codesmith’s JavaScript for Beginners is a great way to start your coding journey.

• David • Graduate

Before committing to Codesmith, I’ve researched and considered a lot of different programs.  I had realized that there were some reputable programs, while there were some questionable programs.  I was accepted to two reputable programs, but I knew that I wanted the most challenging experience and knew Codesmith was the right program for me.

First, the outcome speaks for itself.  If you need objective evidence, review the CIRR report.

Second, the production projects really stand apart from other programs.  The residents tackle and solve real problems faced by software engineers.  You develop a deep knowledge in one area of the technology (not working on projects like Facebook, Yelp or Airbnb clones which seems pretty popular at other programs).  This part really made a big difference in my decision.

Third, the admission process was rigorous so I knew that the standards of the cohort would be high.  I wanted to be around smart, high potential people.

Fourth, I didn’t know much at the time, but the hiring support has been amazing.  I can’t speak about other programs, but Codesmith been great so far in this aspect. In fact, I think that the outcome of this program is the result of its hiring program.  Every program teaches open source technologies like React, so what differentiates Codesmith from the rest is its hiring program.

If you want to take you skills from zero to 60, consider other programs.  But if you want to take your skills from 20 to 120, this is the program for you.

• Tayvon • Backend Engineer • Student

I can't say enough good things about my experience with Codesmith. After graduating with my Bachelors in Computer Science, Codesmith was the next best step for me to go from a junior level to mid-level engineer. The atmosphere and learning environment that they've been able to create through the curriculum and JSHP shows their deep dedication to building and supporting the best engineers in the market. As a Codesmith Resident, I went from not being able to build out a full-stack application, to building out 4 of my own as well as a developer tool — working with bleeding-edge technology. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would. After graduating, they helped me secure and negotiate a six-figure job with an amazing company in the heart of New York.

• amazing people
    - 7/29/2019
    Hao Phan • Applicant

I’m not sure I can do justice to the amazing people at CodeSmith but I’ll try my best.  I remember reading the awesome reviews about the CodeSmith program while I was in living abroad several years ago and I wished that I had the opportunity to be a part of all the awesomeness that was described. Fast forward to today and I can say that the I had a chance to get a small taste of the real thing and it is richer and more impactful than I could ever imagine.  I cannot say enough about the quality of the people - the teachers are caring, smart, and go above and beyond to help students.  The students, prospective students, and staff that I met at JS the hard parts were intelligent, kind, and really nice to be around.  The people at CodeSmith have done an excellent job of attracting the kind of people who you could imagine having life-long friendships with.  What you’ll find are people from all sorts of backgrounds and experiences.  One of the instructor at JS the hard parts was once homeless, another was a DJ, and another was a college dropout (and I’ve learned since that he was accepted at Google).  To me, this is a place of second chances.  In my technical interview, I wasn't asked about my previous work experience or my college degree or my age.  It seemed like the tests and questions were only to gauge  my motivation and  merit and I appreciated not having to talk about the bad decisions that I have made in my past.

So I didn’t pass my first technical interview because I didn’t prepare well enough for the communication component. I was given resources to help me prepare for a retest (you’re given 3 opportunities to pass) but because retaking the test meant missing the cohort that I was applying to, I had to give up a small dream I had of joining the immersive program altogether(I have a wife and child so I couldn’t wait). I’ve since found work at a small startup doing some application development and machine learning.  Yet, I do feel a sense of missing out on what I could have been and how much better I would be as a software engineer in the long term.

I have read so many books and watched so many tutorials over the years to be able to hazily understand Javascript but it took only a few hours at CodeSmith to finally truly understand callbacks,  classes, prototypes, functional programming, and other javascript concepts.  I can easily see how someone who has finished CodeSmith’s program can qualify for mid and senior level positions because they really do teach on a deep level in a way that helps you extend what you know and apply it to solve different kinds of problems.  If you are lucky enough to ever have the opportunity to study at CodeSmith, I would encourage you to do so. I wish I could.
  • CS Prep 2019
    - 7/27/2019
    Dominic • Student

My first experience with Codesmith was with CSX and the weekly L.A. workshops, Intro to Javascript and Hard Parts. At the time, I was brand new to coding, my only experience being Code Academy's "Intro to Javascript" course which I had completed in the previous weeks.

It didn't take me long to decide that I wanted to apply for the three month immersive program. But as much as I had learned attending Hard Parts and working through CSX, I knew I wasn't at the level I needed to be to pass the technical interview.

So I signed up for CS Prep. The experience was great, and it definitely prepared me for the technical exam. Our instructor Shane was brand new, and there were a couple times when his inexperience was apparent. But overall, he was an excellent instructor - very familiar with the material, attentive and helpful, encouraging, etc.

I definitely recommend CS Prep if you plan on applying for the immersive program.

• Mohtasim • Graduate

I took CS Prep from June 22nd - July 9th with the hope of getting into the Codesmith Software Engineering Immersive Program; with its money-back guarantee + tuition rollover, applying seemed like a no-brainer. After getting in, I very quickly realized the curriculum was a lot more difficult than any curriculum (mostly Codecademy and FreeCodeCamp) that I had encountered before. CS Prep did a great job of providing information on a lot of difficult concepts that these courses often skip entirely/gloss over, while still managing to make it accessible for a JS beginner such as myself. Also, the curriculum focused heavily on developing skills such as technical communication, pair programming, and problem-solving, all of which are super important for the immersive technical interview.

For me, the best part of CS Prep had to be the course instructor, Shane. Shane’s energy, enthusiasm for both teaching and JavaScript, and his dedication to the success of his students were what made the course such an amazing experience for me. Shane always had a great attitude in class that helped keep us all engaged, and was super easy to talk to when it came to asking questions, both relating to the coursework and outside stuff.

I ended up interviewing and getting into the immersive program soon after CS Prep ended, mostly because of how prepared the program made me feel for the interview. CS Prep's emphasis on developing better technical communication, problem solving skills, and pair programming ended up being a major help during the technical interview. While the actual coursework for the program is difficult, it’s possible to grow into a much stronger developer if you keep up with the work. Overall, I would completely recommend CS Prep to anyone who is hoping to further developed their JS skills and/or is considering applying to the immersive program.

• Chris Flannery • Student

I recently completed a cohort of CS Prep with Shane Taylor. It was an excellent experience for me - I had just come off the back of having failed the Immersive technical interview twice and needed to brush up on Javascript fundamentals, get more pair programming experience, and fill in the gaps in my technical communication vocabulary. Shane and CS Prep provided all this and more. Shane is a more-than-capable teacher and a very kind and empathetic person. Part of the course included recording videos of ourselves coding - and his feedback on our videos was thoughtful, rigorous and detailed. I would highly recommend CS Prep to anyone who has not yet passed their immersive technical interview!

• Drew T • Graduate

I just finished CS Prep, a two-week online program offered by Codemith. I recommend CS Prep to those searching for a pre-cursor to a full-time bootcamp.

CS Prep cohorts consist of 10 three-hour classes. Each class follows an efficient structure - first 30 mins are for individual coding practice; following 2 hours are for a lecture led by the main instructor; the final 30 mins are for pair programming.

The lectures are engaging and allow for active student participation. Most core topics are covered.

The pair programming sessions are invaluable. Students pair up and practice coding challenges together. Students alternate roles between challenges - one student verbalizes their thought process for solving a given problem, while the other student writes code to match the instructions. The routine reinforces comprehension and improves student's ability to logic through directives from others.

Zero complaints. Two thumbs up. Drew

• Jay • Software Engineer • Graduate

I went through Codesmith immersive program from December -> March 2019.  It was a very stressful decision for me, I left my pregnant wife and 2 year old in Montana and moved to Venice for the 3 months I was in codesmith.  I needed to make sure that it was worth my time and money.  I did extensive research (just like you are doing now because you're reading this review) and narrowed it down to a few.  I was looking for THE BEST program period.  It could have been anywhere in the country and price wasn't a huge factor.  I just needed the knowledge as quickly as possible.  The curriculum, community of people and staff took my skills to where they needed to be.  6 weeks after I graduated I landed a mid-level software engineering job at a very well known company with a total comp package of ~180k.  And almost all of my cohort-mates had a very similar result at the time of writing this review.  Keep in mind...I worked my ass off.  But the hard work was contagious in the cohort and everyday I was excited to dive deeper and push myself and everyone around me.  That's what Codesmith does best.  By the end of the 3 months I was a sobbing mess, leaving people that have become lifelong friends after our time at Codesmith.  Checkout easy parts/hard parts online or in person and it will give you a good idea of the curriculum.  The x factor that codesmith has is the community that it breeds, job search prep and hiring support.  If you work hard to get into codesmith, are able to put your ego aside go through this program working your hardest everyday, follow their advice on applying for jobs => You will succeed. Period.

• Jake

Having done a TON of research on ALL the bootcamps, I feel very confident that 1) the Codesmith residency is the best 'bootcamp' availabile, and 2) I made the correct decision in choosing Codesmith (I applied and got into all the major alternatives). Here are the main reasons:

1) It's the hardest to get into. A lot of the program is pair-programming and projects. You have to struggle and build, and if you don't have smart, capable people around you, you won't get as much out of it,

2) The curriculum is geared towards projects. Not just 'build a commerce website', but projects that are impressive, applicable to developers, and look good on resumes,

3) Phil - the main instructor in New York, and Will - the founder - are both natural teachers and speakers that keep you engaged and help make complicated concepts digestable and relatable. But maybe even more importantly, they're both genuinely invested in you and your development and success.

4) The culture - it's a fun place to be, and if you're going to be spending 80 hours a week somewhere, that's pretty important.

• Joel • Software Engineer • Graduate

I just want to mention how phenomenal Codesmith was during my time there.

Codesmith was my second bootcamp and it was an absolutely different experience compared to my first. The reason I'm writing this review is because I feel that Codesmith is a bootcamp that doesn't get the exposure it deserves in terms of their absolute dedication to software engineering excellence.

During my time as a resident, I had the pleasure of working on a major production project with three other engineers, one who graduated from Harvard in Data Science, specializing in Python and SQL databases, another who was the lead marketing manager for a technology startup, and the third had 10 years professional work experience as a DevOps engineer. Needless to say it was a different feeling here in terms of the type of residents/students coming to study here.

I was "partly" surprised about how patient all of my other cohort-mates/colleagues were, especially coming from their prestigious backgrounds. But the reason I say "partly" is because this is what makes the Codesmith community amazing. The community at Codesmith is as much about the culture as it is about the level of engineering. And that was something that made this bootcamp experience much more memorable and worth every penny and minute!!

The production project for me was the most rewarding piece because we built a developer tool to test the interoperability between a developer's different microservices. If someone was to tell me that I would have been technically able to build this before the program, I would have said they're crazy. But not only did I feel technically able to take on bigger challenges like this, I felt emotionally empowered too.

Lastly, I just want to say everything, from top to bottom was amazing. Who would of thought someone like me, who started to learn how to code less than a year ago would be able to say I am a Codesmith graduate and a newly hired Software Engineer within the same week of graduating the program.

• Yuri Brizuela

I recently participated in the JavaScript for Beginners course offered by Codesmith.  I had no prior experience in coding and was looking for a productive way to gently introduce myself into the field of software engineering.  The instructors (Will, Phillip, and Kyle) were all very helpful and patient, allowing students to ask questions and providing one-on-one help when necessary.  As students we were encouraged to develop healthy engineering habits and professional, technical communication skills to help maximize productivity in team environments.  Codesmith’s JavaScript for Beginners was an excellent course that provided me with some of the fundamental building blocks of JavaScript as well as introduced me to a supportive, safe learning environment and a wealth of resources.

• Samantha • Student

I was very nervous about starting Codesmith. I enrolled in the CS Prep program and despite the fact that I enjoyed that, I was apprehensive about dedicating 12 weeks of my life, 6 days a week to this program. I would do it all again. I started the program insecure about my ability to be a software engineer, but now I have the tools to succeed in this industry.

What makes the Codesmith curriculum so powerful and different from other programs? First: the people. Seriously. The instructors, the fellows, the staff, the people they select for the cohorts. Everyone is so supportive. In your moments of deepest doubt, they are there to support you and lift you up. I never once felt ashamed about asking for more help. It's really a special place. Second: the production project. Forget the Snake game. Forget the Chrome extension. That is done in week two. Codesmith does something special and the second half of the program is focused on diving deep into a technology and creating a developer tool around this technology. My team and I dove in deep on Chaos Engineering; something I had not even heard of before Codesmith. This project gave me so much confidence going out in to the job market and has given me a plethora of topics and technologies to talk about in interviews.

If you're even questioning Codesmith versus another program STOP QUESTIONING. You won't find a better place than Codesmith. Seriously. Do it. You'll thank yourself.

• CS PREP Review
    - 6/6/2019
    Kevin Nam • Student

This review is only for CS PREP.

CS Prep is a great way to get your feet wet with the fundamentals of advanced topics such as High-Order Functions/Callbacks, Recursion, Closure, Big O Notation, and etc.. Before CS Prep, I was stuck on the HOF section of CSX and did not know a single thing about the advanced topics I mentioned. After completing CSX, I was able to finish CSX and pass technical interviews for multiple top tier coding bootcamps on the first try!

Disclaimer: I have not taken the Codesmith technical interview yet (scheduled to take soon). I took tech interviews for other bootcamps in order to gain practice for the immersive program that I plan on joining: Codesmith. However, I would not have been able to have the confidence or the skills required to pass the technical interviews without taking CS Prep.

Overall, I loved my experience with CS Prep. I enjoyed learning from the instructors Ryan & Shane. Ryan & Shane are both so passionate about teaching and coding that their enthusiasm permeates throughout the whole course. I learned so much not only from the instructors but also from highly motivated students.

• Daniel • Software Engineer • Graduate

Prior to Codesmith, I knew I wanted to further my skills as a software engineer, but didn't know which bootcamp to go with. These are a few of the reasons I chose to go with Codesmith.

1. Better outcomes

The fact that most of their grads get jobs as mid to senior level developers after graduating and their superior salary results definitely appealed to me. The website says the average for NY Codesmith grads is 112K but the current average is something like 130-135 now. Codesmith really sets you up for success and gives you the confidence that these salaries are achievable. To give some context, I graduated about 6 weeks ago and received my first 2 offers 2 weeks ago for mid-level software engineering positions and have another on-site interview with a FAANG company.

2. Rigorous interviewing process

I actually first interviewed with Hack Reactor and I got in through an extremely easy interviewing process. However, I didn't think much of it since I didn't find any part of their program particularly unique or attractive. Additionally, the Hack Reactor interviewer told me that I solved the problems he asked me faster than any of the candidates that he's ever interviewed, and I was surprised by this. I was looking for an environment in which I'd be surrounded by smart and knowledgeable individuals so I could learn more and I was definitely not looking to be the best problem solver in the room.

When I went through Codesmith's interview process, I could tell right away that they were looking for more than someone who know the basics of Javascript and can solve a simple algorithm problem. They asked questions about programming concepts that most other bootcamps wouldn’t ask and they wanted to see if you are a good technical and cultural fit for their program. Moreover, their final production projects were a lot more impressive than the ones I saw at other bootcamps/residencies. I figured that this was the best residency if I wanted to push myself.

3. Hiring support/staff/community

I got a good sense of what the community was like during the couple of times I attended their Hard Parts meetups so I highly recommend checking that out if you are thinking of choosing Codesmith. Furthermore, the hiring support after graduating was amazing. You get mock interview support to practice for the real interviews and bi-weekly check ins to see how you’re doing and potentially give you feedback on how to improve. Shout out to Will and Phil, who were actually my references for one of the companies I was interviewing for, and as a result I received an offer from the company! Also, shout out to Eric, who is there to help you get an offer and after you receive an offer, he literally holds your hand every step of the way of the negotiating process so that you get a much better offer than what you were already satisfied with.

Overall, the entire community is great and Codesmith really provides you with the technical skills, communication skills, talented people and confidence to excel in this industry. Highly recommend!

• Best decision
    - 5/14/2019
    Carson • Graduate

CodeSmith taught me data structures, algorithms, React, Node, SQL and NoSQL. In addition, it taught me how to think and communication as an engineer.

The course structure is fast-paced and challenging. It is designed to constantly pushing for your limits. I also formed tight bonds with the cohort mates due to everyone being very supportive of each other.

The hiring program is also another major piece of the puzzle of getting your first software engineering job.

This is not a program for you to come to class and leave like a college course. To make the most out of the experience, you should put your best effort into it. And you will be rewarded for your effort

• Franklin • Graduate

If you're looking for a purely objective criteria for figuring out whether to attend to Codesmith, then you can easily find the average salary of its graduates on the website. It's a little over 110k. I just recently graduated and about half of my cohort has signed or is in the process of signing offers with cool companies with great salaries (in line with or above the average) within 1 month of graduation and I am highly confident the rest will have signed offers within 3-6 months.

Now that we have gotten that out of the way, I am going to highlight some of the other aspects of Codesmith that are also important in making Codesmith an invaluable experience and setting it apart from other programs.

1. The curriculum

Over the course of the program you will dive into technologies including but not limited to React, Redux, Node, Express, Mongo, Postgres. Also, Codesmith is devoted to continually updating the curriculum and adding value based on alumni feedback. They added an AWS module to the curriculum (my cohort was the first to receive it), after hearing that most of their graduates are interfacing with AWS in some way.

Pair-programming is one of the main pillars of learning and growing as a resident at Codesmith and you will be engaging in it for the majority of your first six-weeks at Codesmith. So if you don't work well with others then Codesmith might not be the program for you.

2. The staff

The instructors at Codesmith are all super knowledgable, super passionate, and can break down complex topics into manageable chunks really well, but don't take my word for it. Every Thursday night Codesmith hosts a free meetup called Javascript The Hard Parts, where they deep dive into advanced javascript concept such as closures, or higher-order functions. I was blown away by the level of detail, how much I learned, and the amount of clarity I left with by just attending their free workshop. Phill (The lead of NY) and Will (CEO) who usually teach the meetup are also instructors during the residency so you know you will be getting that same great experience throughout the program as well.

The fellows are also very hardworking and help round out the experience by providing help sometimes even long after the day has "officially ended". Examples range from helping you to understand that concept/algorithm/technology to providing guidance on whipping your resume into shape. The fellows are all instances of empathy in engineering and a big part of the reason that the community is so great.

Can’t forget the non-technical staff as well. Software engineering is mostly technical but there is a value in soft skills as well. And it’s very helpful in having people there to help in those areas as well.

3. Amazing Cohorts

The class sizes are small. My cohort had a total of 16 residents - all with varying technical backgrounds, from less technical (on paper) to computer science degrees. Going through a program like Codesmith with a small class size allows you to really connect with your fellow cohort-mates. It's really easy to bond with your fellow residents after struggling and challenging one another to push and continually break through each other's limits to get to the next level over the course of three months. I have made connections and bonds with my cohort that I will foster for the rest of my career as a software engineer.

4. Projects / Production Project

Codesmith is fast paced. Most of the lectures take place within the first four weeks and after that you will working mostly on projects moving forward. You will work on solo, scratch, iteration, production, and reinforcement projects.  Each of these projects allow you to gain greater experience and depth with technologies learned in the earlier part of the program as well as those technologies that are not covered but you might have an interest it.

The most important project out of these is the production project. For the production project you will have about 4-5 weeks to dive deep into certain technologies with a group of residents. It really is amazing what the cohort can accomplish in this time. Again, don't take my word for it, you can check out some of them at https://www.codesmith.io/software-engineering-immersive-projects. I don't think other programs are producing these types of projects.

4. The community

A new cohort starts every six weeks. Your first six weeks is your junior phase, and the next six weeks after that is the senior phase. Juniors and seniors utilize the same space. When you just start the program it helps to have a group of people who just went through the same process that you are about to through as well. Not only do you have your own cohort mates to network and connect with you have the one before you, when you are in the junior phase as well, as the one after you, when you enter the senior phase as well. Of course, you also have access to all of the other Codesmith alumni working at great companies as well.

5.  Hiring Support

The hiring program at Codesmith might be worth about half of the cost of the program alone. As you progress through the latter half of the program you will start the hiring phase. This includes countless resume iterations that will get your resume in the best shape it probably has ever been, how to negotiate your salary, and how to approach the job search, and more.

Even after you graduate there are check-ins every two weeks to see how things are going in your job search and they will help you iterate on your approach based on your feedback. You can even schedule mock interviews with Codesmith as well.

All that being said, it feels weird calling Codesmith a bootcamp. Codesmith, is a software engineering residency that will undoubtly change the course of your life.

Shout outs to Will, Phil, Ryan, Dave, Olivia, Kyle, Victoria, Joel, Christine, Raphael, and Altai and cohorts 8,9 and 10.

• My 2 cents
    - 5/10/2019
    Victor • Graduate

There are already a lot of reviews that focus on what the program is like and why they personally enjoyed it. So instead I will just make two points that I believe are important:

​1. Who Should Go To Codesmith

There is a reason why Will (the founder) markets CS as a residency for experienced engineers — it is because the value that the program provides grows exponentially with the more experience you have.

I wanna stress this because I feel that a lot of people might fall for this narrative: "I feel like I already know too much to join a bootcamp". And this could not be more false when it comes to CS. If you do not have a job that pays 120k+, then this program is for you (assuming you want one of course). And the reason is that the core value of CS is NOT the technical knowledge it provides: we all have access to the Internet, you can learn everything here. The value lies on the engineering narrative you will build while being exposed 14hrs+/day in a structured way to modern technologies that companies value nowadays.

2. How Codesmith Gets You A Job

I will reason about this from my personal narrative. So I finished the program and I start following the very specific and detailed instructions on how to apply for jobs. I started getting phone screens, then a few take homes, but it wasn't after a few onsite interviews that I realized how CS had actually prepared me for this process.

Looking back to the interviews, I started noticing that a lot of the questions I was asked were in the shape of "have you ever heard of this technology?" or "do you have any experience working with X". And that is where the CS experience comes into play: having spent over 14hrs/day being exposed to modern technologies and "living" with people that share your same interest, I could instantly relate those questions to my experience in CS. Whether it was during a morning coffee chat or during one of the exercise units, I had indeed heard of it.

So tldr: I highly recommend Codesmith to anyone that is really passionate about software engineering. It will be tough, but — as they say — trust the process and the rewards are very real.

• CSPrep
    - 4/25/2019
    Dean • Graduate

For anyone looking for a prep course to get into any bootcamp, CSPrep is the ideal preparatory course.  Our instructor, Ryan, is the most passionate educator I have ever come across and his energy permeates through each student.  CSPrep students come from different backgrounds and varying levels of experience, and Ryan does a phenomenal job at creating an all inclusive, judgement free environment to ensure the most optimal learning experience for every student.  The course moves at an relatively high pace, exploring major Javascript and general coding concepts such as higher order functions & callbacks, closures, recursion, and algorithmic problem solving.  Each session consists of a problem solving/live coding session, diagramming of that day's programming topic, and pair programming.  In my opinion, pair programming is the most crucial component of CSPrep as it provides students with an environment to master their technical communication and to learn how to effectively collaborate with others, both of which are vital to an engineer's career.  Lastly, as far as I am aware, CSPrep's course is never stagnant.  Ryan is very open to feedback and is constantly looking for ways to improve the curriculum to best fit his students' needs.  Whether you come from experience or not, CSPrep is a great way to get your feet wet and experience Codesmith's brilliant curriculum first hand.

• Gilbert R. • Student

CS Prep is a great program to be a part of. It’s filled with a diverse class of people trying to get better at being a problem solver and fluent at the tool-set which Javascript provides.

Throughout the course, Ryan delves into the fundamentals that will pave the way to being a more autonomous problem solver. You are actively participating and engaging with ever challenging questions and problems. Sometimes you know the answer and more than often you don’t, but it’s that intellectual vulnerability that allows you to learn and further cement that knowledge at those moments.

Ryan cares about each of the students’ success in the course. He is fully transparent about his role and what he expects from each of us. This makes the course become more than a mere transaction, and more of a mutual learning space of respect and support. The students in CS Prep are really rooting for each others’ success. Ryan follows up with you and makes sure you felt you got what you expected out of the two weeks. Weeks after my CS Prep cohort ended, we’re still actively sharing resources and asking questions to one another, and in my case, still meeting up with fellow colleagues to study and practice peer programming.

Like any learning endeavor, you really do get what you put in. I spent a good amount of time revisiting problem after peer programming to make sure I would be able to solve them on my own. I’ve heard other students echo this experience themselves. You are investing in yourself when taking on a program like CS Prep and I do think it’s a worthwhile program.

This program is a prep course for the Immersive program. I recommend it to people who have done their due diligence of research and are committed to their career pivot, further education, or need that extra clarity on hard Javascript concepts.

• Patrick Slagle • Software Engineer • Graduate

It’s real, it works, and it can work for you.

The purpose of this review is to give a little inside to the program, but mostly explain how it’s possible that you can enter this program without a previous software related job and leave with job offers on average of $105,000. For me looking into the program it was something I truly believed in, but now on the other side it makes a lot of sense.

A little inside to myself so you can put this in perspective. Before I started my pursuit for Codesmith, I worked in Construction Management and had no previous coding experience, but after two months of applying (post graduation) and over 100 applications I got the offer I wanted at Capital One. And I wouldn’t say I’m the exception, but more so, the norm of a Codesmith student. One that hasn’t really coded before. One of the cooler things of this program is seeing people from all different walks of life. But regardless of their previous coding experience, they’ve all had success.

I’m sure you have the same thought I did, this is too good to be true… But let me explain. First off, you’re not becoming a software developer in three months, the journey is a bit longer than that. To get into Codesmith you need to already have solid Javascript skills, but nothing you can’t teach yourself. I spent a few hours after work a couple times a week until I was strong enough to get into the program. For some, this could be a few weeks (if you studied heavily), for others it could take months (if you studied more intermittently like I did), it really depends how much time you put into it. If you have any questions for what to study, visit Codesmith or one of their easy/hard part sessions. They’ll point you in the right direction and you can get a better feel for the program. To be honest, if you have any interest in this program, you probably should stop reading these reviews and just GO to one of those sessions. You’ll learn a lot more about the experience, why I loved this place, and how this is all true.

But... if you’re still reading, I’ll continue explaining.

Once you get into this program you already have a solid understanding of Javascript, which is more than a lot of the people in the industry know about Javascript. And I’m serious about this. The rise of Javascript is pretty recent, especially front end frameworks like React, and there’s a BIG demand for developers who know this. Most people in the industry just haven’t had the time to pick this up these skills and keep up with them. At my work I’m lucky if I get to spend an hour a day trying to pick up new tech, and even luckier if I get to work on a new language. Meanwhile by the time you’ve got into Codesmith you’ll have no problem writing Javascript algorithms. And THEN the next three months at Codesmith you REALLY dive into the language. Like twelve hours a day of coding and learning at the fastest rate of your life. Once you’ve considered this, it doesn’t seem to crazy that someone would hire you as a front-end developer building in React or full-stack with Node. In my case, I got a company to hire me to build in Angular and Java (even though I had NO experience in either, they were confident I could learn both).

That brings me to my last point.. Codesmith teaches you how to get hired and be hirable. After the program ends they organize meet ups, mock interviews, and follow ups with you. There’s also great interactive lectures, and lessons on how to get hired and succeed in interviews. This may seem weird or you could question the necessity of this, but trust me it makes the jump from being a good coder to getting hired. Unfortunately, knowing how to code and being a successful interviewer are almost two different skills. Honestly, the challenge of getting hired out of this program isn’t the lack of knowledge, it's the perception that there’s no way you could have that knowledge after “three months,” or going to a “boot camp.” With Codesmith’s emphasis on being hirable, you’re able to past this perception, and get back to whats important, your software knowledge and being able to work with a team. One of the things I haven’t mentioned yet but is important to note, Codesmith has a strong culture on being a team player and focusing on technical communication. This not only makes you a good candidate, but again will help you shine a bit more in your interviews.

Overall though, this program was one of the best things I’ve ever done. I was able to switch from an industry I didn’t want to be in, to an amazing one I wanted to be a part of. It was three of the hardest months, but honestly, three of the best months as well. I had a lot of hesitation joining a program that was so intense, thinking.. how the hell could I code for over 12 hours a day? But the community and culture there is so strong its easy to love it there.

If you’re thinking about this program, please go to their easy / hard parts lessons. Also feel free to ask me any questions, I’m more than happy to help.

• Bruce • Graduate

CS Prep is a fantastic resource to get started as a software engineer. Ryan, the instructor, truly has a gift for teaching in a way that breaks down complex concepts into digestable fundamentals. He's also superbly interesting and clearly passionate about what he's teaching. The curriculum itself is pretty standard, covering the must-know concepts before you're admitted to an elite coding bootcamp like Codesmith ... functions, higher order functions, closures, recursion ... but the magic comes during paired programming and Ryan's live coding of each day's problems. Many times during CS Prep I had an "eureka!" moment as Ryan broke down coding challenges and explained each step carefully.

Another great aspect of CS Prep is the community. You'll be coding along other very motivated students, some of whom are working together in the CS Prep Slack after each class. We share resources and even help each other on code review. Learning coding solo is tough, but you'll have a community to help your coding journey with CS Prep.

If you're set on doing Codesmith in the future, then doing CS Prep is a no-brainer. If you're considering other bootcamps or want to apply to junior dev positions, CS Prep will still give you a valuable boost towards your goals. The learning I got not only helped me get into Codesmith's Software Engineering Immersive, but also gave me the valuable tools and mindsets to tackle any technical challenge.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

98% of job obtainers reported salaries.

We are proud that a large percentage of our grads accept offers of over $110,000, making Codesmith Los Angeles the program with the highest CIRR certified starting salary in LA for this time period.

For transparency, here are the starting salary breakdowns of our graduates from 1/01/2018 - 6/30/2018:
  • $110,000 - 119,999: 17.5%