codesmith-logo

Codesmith

Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online

Codesmith

Codesmith offers a full-time, 12-week full stack software engineering bootcamp in Los Angeles and New York City. Codesmith is a selective, need-blind program focusing largely on computer science and full-stack JavaScript, with an emphasis on technologies like React, Redux, Node, build tools, Dev Ops and machine learning. This program enables Codesmith students (known as Residents) to build open-source projects, with the aim of moving into positions as skilled software engineers. Codesmith Residents become engineers, not technicians, through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms and data structures), and object-oriented and functional programming. Codesmith helps residents develop strong problem-solving abilities and technical communication skills – valued capacities in a software engineer.

The Codesmith admissions process involves a written application with optional coding questions, a nontechnical interview, and a technical interview. Codesmith offers a number of free resources for preparing for the admissions process including in-person and online coding workshops, a 2-week online prep course (CS Prep), and an online JavaScript learning platform (CSX).

Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides Residents through whiteboarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues upon graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer roles.

Recent Codesmith Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (313) reviews for Codesmith →

Recent Codesmith News

Read all (20) articles about Codesmith →
  • CS Prep

JavaScript, jQuery, Algorithms, Front End
    Start Date December 9, 2019
    CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.
    DepositNo deposit
    We offer tuition payment plans and many scholarships for the course. The tuition you pay for CS Prep will roll over to the Software Engineering Immersive tuition.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case by case payment plans, please reach out to csprep@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you pass the CS Prep assessment you are guaranteed a technical interview with our full time Codesmith Program. Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case by case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to CS Prep, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelSuitable for beginners who are ready to level up to intermediate and advanced material.
    Prep WorkWe recommend some familiarity with the content in the Precourse Unit on CSX - our free online learning platform - https://csx.codesmith.io/.
    December 9, 2019 - Online Apply by November 25, 2019
  • JavaScript for Beginners

JavaScript
    Start Date November 30, 2019
    JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour, remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals and how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.
    DepositNo Deposit
    This course has scholarships available, and the tuition you pay for JavaScript for Beginners rolls over and can be applied towards the tuition of our more advanced programs.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case-by-case payment plans, please reach out to jsforbeginners@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds for the course are available and distributed on a case-by-case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to JavaScript for Beginners, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is designed for those with no coding experience!
    Prep WorkWe recommend completing Part 1 of the Precourse on CSX, our free online learning platform, before you start the course: https://csx.codesmith.io/units/precourse
    November 30, 2019 - Online Apply by November 25, 2019
  • Software Engineering Immersive Program

Start Date November 25, 2019
    LocationNew York City, Los Angeles
    The Codesmith program teaches computer science, full-stack JavaScript (notably React and Node), software architecture, Dev Ops, and machine learning, preparing graduates for mid to senior engineering positions. The course also features preparatory material, extensive hiring preparation, and ongoing support with students’ job searches.
    We have financing partnerships available as well as case by case payment plans! Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds are distributed on a case by case basis but are available.
    ScholarshipCodesmith offers 4 types of scholarships -those to students underrepresented in the technology community, women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarships, as well as scholarships to prior bootcamp grads.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    Prep Work4 weeks
    November 25, 2019 - Los Angeles Apply by November 25, 2019
    December 16, 2019 - New York City Apply by December 16, 2019

• Andres  User Photo
    Andres • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This is gonna be short and honest-

Codesmith is a great school that I would highly recommend to anyone trying to break into the industry. Curriculum is up-to-date and taught well. I learned a ton and received all the assistance I wanted in my job search.

That being said, I don't agree with everyone who gives Codesmith a straight five stars. I think they do that because they know how competitive the coding bootcamp space is, but I doubt there is a program out there that is perfect and deserves perfect scores.

The head instuctor is the best, but I think my cohort that graduated in January was the biggest they had ever had, and because of this we had to rely on each other for help more so than instructors or fellows (probably true even for small cohorts). To be honest, beyond the first half of the program the fellows weren't really helpful.

There are a couple of other small gripes I have with Codesmith but they aren't worth mentioning. The positives outweigh the negatives and I think if you are the right type of candidate you can gain a lot from the program.

• Beyond Measurement
    - 4/13/2017
    Thai-Duong Nguyen  User Photo
    Thai-Duong Nguyen • Technical Lead • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TL;DR - There's no TL;DR version of my review. Those who have what it takes to get into Codesmith are hungry for information, and are not put off by reading to gain insight.

Before you begin with my review, you deserve to know that my review will be of a different perspective than most reviews you'll read, as upon graduation I did not follow through with my original plan of searching for a software engineering position at various companies that I originally had my eye on. I instead found that my fondness and infatuation with Codesmith's community had grown to a fully-blossomed love-affair that prompted me to apply to the fellowship. Being fortunate enough to be chosen not only as fellow but later on as Technical Lead, I am now still at Codesmith holding the latter position. I impart upon you the perspective of a former student and current staff member.

In every metric by which it can be judged, the engineering hub known as Codesmith performs with outstanding results. I hold this as a fact, after receiving feedback from various alumni--including my cohort-mates, who have embarked on career-paths that most of them did not think were possible only a few months ago. But metrics can be easily obtained from other sources, so I'll assume that the circumstances that led to your eyes absorbing my review involve a desire to gain a sense of the immeasurable. Thus, I will omit the statistics and contents of the curriculum, in favor of conveying the intangible aspects of my journey that began more than six months ago.

On a summer Thursday when the elevator doors opened up to Codesmith's JavaScript: The Hard Parts Meetup for the first time, I was not able to measure nor appreciate the importance of some of the individuals I would meet that night. One would become my first friend within the cohort I would eventually join. Another would become a fellow at Codesmith, and thus my coworker for a period of time (and friend for all the time after that). A third would become my production project partner during the second half of my time as a student.

Throughout more Meetup events at the residency, I would eventually meet even more faces that would become part of my cohort, and thus part of a group of friends that I cannot see as anything less than life-long. After a second Hard Parts attendance and applying to the program (with encouragement from a then-junior during drinks after the Meetup), I gained acceptance to the September 2016 cohort. There was still more than a month before our start date, and I planned on taking advantage of the time to prepare myself for the upcoming immersive experience.

During this month prior to the first day, I invited four others who were part of my cohort to sleep over at my place to watch an 8-hour Kyle Simpson live broadcast that began at 7am the next day. I did not anticipate the readiness with which they accepted the offer. They were as dedicated to learn as anyone I had met my entire life, and I had already been through college with people who fell asleep with their heads on keyboards and books.

As atypical as this dedication to growth is among most people, it was strikingly commonplace among the characters I would meet once school began at Codesmith. In fact, not a single person lacked this trait. Throughout the many unit modules and projects of the curriculum, it had become clear that the interview process was marked with such selectiveness that no one was accepted unless they exhibited the grit and commitment that would often persist well beyond the daily schedule, and into the late hours of the night.

Past mid-December, when the applications for the fellowship were released, the staff announced that there were two positions open. There were twenty-five members of my cohort, and many of us applied to take on the position of the individuals who had chosen to dedicate themselves to helping students instead of immediately searching for six-figure salaries. Knowing how many well-qualified applicants there were, I was humbled to be one of the two chosen fellows.

In the ensuing three months, I came to grow much more than I had anticipated, like the previous three months. Being charged with many duties relating to the growth of the engineering hub and of the pupils, I came to gain a higher understanding of my thinking process through introspection. This enabled me to describe my problem-solving strategy to the student body much more effectively. I had not experienced such a literal and real incarnation of the phrase "Learn through teaching."

After becoming part of the staff, I now see how real the dedication to every student really is. I had caught of a glimpse of it when I applied to the program and subsequently heard (during the acceptance call) my own quotes that helped the staff know how I would fit into the community. I first thought it must have taken a lot of effort to keep up with the mental, emotional, and academic well-being of every student. But now as a mentor, I believe it would take a lot of effort not to watch over every student carefully, as they are all part of a community that I help shape and foster.

Throughout all of my years on this Earth, I have never seen such a marriage of dedication and community like that which has been exemplified in all of my previous six months, having been a student and a fellow at Codesmith. Having been graced with the opportunity to become Technical Lead, ending this review seems oddly inappropriate, as my time at Codesmith has not ended. But delaying the submission of this review would be just as inappropriate, as one of the many things that my experience with the Codesmith community has taught me is that there is no reason for delay.

• Life Choices
    - 4/10/2017
    Schno Mozingo  User Photo
    Schno Mozingo • Graduate Verified via GitHub

So many life choices in the course of my forty-five years... some brilliant, others... not so brilliant.

Circumstances led to one not-so-brilliant move as I dropped out of school after the tenth grade.  I then spent a couple of years living on and off the street (and the 'off' wasn't so very removed).  From a little town in Alabama to Atlanta to New Orleans, I made my way on the kindness of strangers and by plying my questionable needle-and-thread tattooing expertise.

I remember listening to Pink Floyd a lot back then.  There's a lovely song on 'Dark Side of the Moon' called Time.  I'm sure you've heard it.  There's a few lines from that song that haunted me as a young street urchin:

You are young and life is long / And there is time to kill today

And then one day you find / Ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run / You missed the starting gun

I certainly didn't want to miss the starting gun, but it felt like I'd just been dealt a bad hand in life.  And then, a wise friend that I met during that time gave me some valuable advice.  "Schno", he said, "there's two types of people in the world: those that are controlled by their environment and those that control their environment.  It's your choice which of those you will be.  All you have to do is make that choice and take action on it."

Such a simple thing to say.  It worked.  I decided to change my environment.  This led to many adventures over many years that spanned the globe.  I joined the Navy, then worked in movies, which brought me to LA.  Then in 1996 I pivoted sharp to begin my career as a developer, first at NASDAQ, and then in the phone sex industry (of all things).  An unfortunate lay-off in 2014 had me turning to acting, (and then quickly on to) VoIP, and finally... I came to CodeSmith.

I know that's what you've come here to read about.  Before I leave my review, I just want to reiterate that profound and simple message to you, dear reader.  If it feels like you've been dealt a bad hand and you're not sure what path to take to move forward: All you have to do is make that choice and take action on it.

I'm pleased to say that CodeSmith was one of my more brilliant life choices.  I found my way to one of their free, weekly 'JavaScript: The Hard Parts' classes and I knew that this was where I was going to rediscover my love for building things with code.

I had always thought of coding as wizardry… you could take a thought, a concept, and then by applying an arcane language, you could manifest all manner of wondrous things that made people's lives better.  Over the years I'd lost a bit of that perspective.  Codesmith has re-ignited my intellectual curiosity and the passion to explore it.

The course is very challenging.  They foster a very real standard for excellence and that resonates through each student.  This isn't the kind of place to 'get by'.  It's the kind of place that changes your life.

For a detailed accounting of my time there, please check out the weekly blog I kept while I was a student.

And if you find yourself in Los Angeles with a free Thursday night, do yourself a favor.  It may just be the first step on a grand, new adventure.

• Mark M  User Photo
    Mark M • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TLDR;

• Incredibly high standards for quality of achievement, work ethic, technical and non-technical communication as practiced by both their graduates and staff
    • 3-4% acceptance rate
    • A focus on advanced developer tools, open-source, and cutting-edge technologies (JavaScript focused curriculum but projects built in C++, Python, etc.)
    • Not scaled or franchised = total dedication to each student
    • Recent grads are having the highest student outcomes for salary offers in the nation
    • Cool workspace centered in "Silicon Beach" (just call it Playa Vista)

Compared to other programs

I was looking for the best program in terms of academic quality and hiring support. I open to move, but being a father, I also had a limited amount of time so a two-year masters program was not an option.

I narrowed down my search to App Academy, Hack Reactor, and Codesmith. Codesmith stood out for having the most modern stack of technologies covered, the enthusiasm their graduates had for the program, and the student production projects were far more advanced than any program including the universities including projects that have revieved media coverage and recognized by leaders in technology.

The application and interviewing process

The interview process is less about judging what you know and more about demonstrating your ability to communicate through tough challenges and your passion to push through. I was able to learn which areas I needed to work on in case I needed to try again. They always welcome retrying.

Work, life, culture

There were real sacrifices including a pause on work and social life and very limited time with my family. On the other hand, I could see no other way to have a career transformation than this. Also, it was all temporary and the internal support from Codesmith was always there for me.

Going through this journey with a community of like-minded individuals was beyond fun. You get the opportunity to work with talented, driven people who are on your same path and equally dedicated to reaching success. Everyday was filled with team wins and high-fives that kept us pushing forward to bigger challenges.

The regular ping-pong breaks and walks to nearby restaurants and bars in the tech-savvy Playa Vista area was also pretty vital in keeping us sane, too.

Codesmith focuses on full stack development with technologies that are the most in demand today but also for the next few years. It focuses on JavaScript because of its ability be used in so many technical specialties, but also for it’s ability to help learn other software languages. It’s not uncommon for production projects to include C++, WebAssembly, Python, machine learning, etc. The curriculum focuses of advanced problem solving strategies that build students' abilities to learn in an accelerated manor throughout their careers in a constantly changing industry.

Hiring Support

In addition to a highly selective hiring day, Codesmith has an entire team of entrepreneurs and hiring support staff that are a phone call away that help alumni with networking, negotiations, and interviews. Alumni also have access to office space and interview prep after graduating.

Recent graduates are finding themselves in senior level engineering positions at Microsoft, Amazon, LinkedIn, Nike, WalmartLabs, TBWA Chiat Day, NFL, etc. with salary offers well over six figures. When adjusting to costs-of-living, Codesmith’s recent grads boast the most successful salary offers in the nation.

Conclusion

This program is not for everyone. With a 3-4% acceptance rate, Codesmith diligently picks only the most passionate, driven, and valuable team-focused individuals who are willing to work towards aspirations beyond any other program. There was a lot of lost sleep, and even sometimes tears, but ultimately I feel truly honored to be a part of a industry leading community who I always plan on always contributing to. Though only two-years old, I’m looking forward to see them progress as they produce the future leaders of software engineering.

• Matt  User Photo
    Matt • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

In retrospective, choosing to come to Codesmith was the best decision I could have made. The curriculum and hiring preparation are as rigorous as anything I've seen, which can probably be expected. The focus that they put on community and supporting each other makes for an incredibly positive experience. Everybody at Codesmith (students and staff) supports each other far more than what I have experienced at other jobs or educational institutions.

But make no mistake, this is a very productive work environment and they expect a lot from you during the 12 weeks. The quality and scope of the production projects are substantial, and in addition to the fantastic experience, I have something to show that I am very excited to talk to future employers and other people about.

• Daniel  User Photo
    Daniel • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TL;DR: Codesmith is an amazing program that will help you to make the transition into being a leading software engineer. The curriculum is excellent, the staff is top-notch, and the community and culture are second to none.

With that out of the way, let's talk specifics about the curriculum, instruction, community, and hiring support.

The Codesmith curriculum was designed with the current state of the software industry in mind. As such, modern tools such as React, Redux, Webpack, and ES2015 are emphasized throughout. That being said, the curriculum's main focus is building students' skills at engineering thinking, technical problem solving, and communication, so that graduates of the program can be flexible engineers and not tied to any particular technologies. To achieve this goal, the curriculum also contains lessons on algorithms, data structures, deep Javascript fundamentals, build tools, and testing.

Instruction

Before I made this transition into Software Engineering, I spent 6 years as a high school teacher teaching math, physics, principles of engineering, and computer science principles, and I have been consistently amazed by how much Codesmith gets right, pedagogically speaking.

One of the most important things that I learned during my time as a high school teacher is: The one who is thinking is the one who is learning. In a typical lecture, the teacher is the one who is thinking, but when students learn by doing, it is the students who are thinking. Codesmith students spend the bulk of the time during the first four weeks pair-programming on code challenges, which range from algorithm and data-structure challenges, to browser-based games, to REST-ful API development. Although a help-desk is available, they do not hold your hand at all, and a significant emphasis is placed on students being self-sufficient by seeking out advice from their peers, Google, Stack Overflow, and other resources. This can be frustrating at times, but it is important to understand that time spent struggling through confusion is not wasted. In fact, that is when you are learning the most, and you will get through it with the help of the supportive, caring community that they build. Which brings me to...

Community

One of the things that really stood out to me about Codesmith when I was first looking in to coding bootcamps is how hard they work to build an inclusive, inviting, and supportive community between current students, professional engineers, and amateur programming enthusiasts. When selecting who will be admitted into the program, they focus not just on the person's technical skill, but on their communication skills, empathy, and culture fit as well. The 12 week program is very demanding, and the level of support that I felt from the staff and my fellow students was what allowed me to grow as much as I did in the program.

Hiring Support

A lot of time is spent on hiring preparation and support during the last 6 weeks of the program. However, what really stood out to me about the hiring support was what happened after the program was over. I reached out to Will, Eric, and Hira frequently to ask them for advice specific to my situation, and they were always very responsive and willing to put the time into helping me personally. I also found that Codesmith alumni were always very excited to talk to people just coming out of the program and to share what their experience was like getting their first software engineering positions. If you take the time to reach out to the staff and alumni, they will be more than happy to give you candid, helpful advice about your particular situation.

The 12 week program was extremely challenging. However, it has helped me to make a major change in my life in just a few short months, and the amount of support that I felt from the community was incredible. It was a huge risk, and I'm extremely glad that I did it!

• Ryan  User Photo
    Ryan • Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

I graduated in January from Codesmith. It was hard, and frustrating at times but the community that Codesmith has built makes the experience worth it. I accepted a position in a different state near family within 2 months of graduating. Their curriculum is fantastic, job assitance aka Eric and Hira was there every step when I had questions or needed help. Dan is an absolutely fantastic instructor, tons of experience and a pleasure to talk to all the time and run ideas by.  Overall I met tons of great people that still talk in slack every day. Most of us i'd say are hired already or are getting interviews. I feel confident I can join an engineering team and make an impact.

• 100% Satisfied
    - 2/18/2017
    Max M  User Photo
    Max M • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I just finished up at Codesmith and don't think I could have made a better choice. Codesmith's top priority is fostering an inclusive, supportive community of dedicated problem solvers. The curriculum is as up-to-date as possible within an industry that's always changing. We had modules on React + Redux and Build Tools (Webpack), in addition to the more universal JavaScript curriculum. There's also an initial focus on data structures, CS fundamentals, and general algorithms, which I hear is lacking at a lot of other 12 week programs. While there's always assistance available from staff, fellows, mentors, and even the CEO, Codesmith is not a hand-holdy program.

Engineering best practices are taught through building and diligent problem solving, not by the typical question and answer approach. For some people, this may be perceived as a downside, but for ambitious programmers, it's an amazing environment that comes very close to simulating a real work environment.

They have top-notch hiring support and place a ton of focus on the job search over the last half of the program, and also encourage alumni to use their facilities (including a dedicated alumni room) after graduating. I feel like I could go on and on about all the positives from my time at Codesmith, but instead, I'll conclude by saying that if you love coding and are serious about advancing your career (this means willing to put in the work and perservering through struggle), then you will not regret coming to Codesmith.

• Justin F • Software Developer • Student

Cannot recommend this place enough.  Felt more like a summer camp than school.  Was super challenging and learned about 1-2 year's worth of self-taught material in 3 months.  I had a very strong background in analytics prior to coming here and had applied to over 100 jobs with no success.  After the program was over, I received 2 very, very good offers within weeks after having applied to just a handful of jobs.  I am now working at my dream job, a job I would never have landed without this experience.

The people make this place- everyone is very nice and facilitates an amazing learning community.  Job assistance is top notch.

This is not a bootcamp- it's a life-changing engineering immersive.  If you love being challenged, being surrounded by some of the most talented people in the country, while having a good time doing it, come here.

• Jun Lee • Full-stack software engineer • Graduate
    Just apply Codesmith. I’m a graduate from cohort 29. I guess many of you reading this review might have concerns. Maybe it’s not about 3 months of curriculum because anyone would’ve invested 3 months if they could become a decent software engineer within; I believe it must be the 18k tuition fee and some doubts that if it would work that way. However, results are just right at you. Almost every one of my family (cohort 29) and previous graduates are doing great in IT industry as a software engineer (can be easily found on LinkedIn). During 3 months, they taught me not only cutting-edge tech stacks (Javascript, React, and Redux), also how to think, speak, and behave like a software engineer. Everyday challenges made me develop my communicating and cooperating skills with my cohorts people. The system of Codesmith is just well-organized to help you in every single step to initiate your software engineer career such as how to write a professional resume and how to handle interviews with even negotiation skills. Now, I’m working as a full stack software engineer with full of satisfaction. Applying Codesmith was the best choice I’ve ever made in my life, and I would’ve definitely applied to Codesmith again if I go back. Don’t hesitate, be one of us.
  • Sterling • Backend Engineer • Graduate

Although I’ve never attended another bootcamp, based on my experience with talking to other friends that have attended other big name bootcamp (like App Academy), and by what I see the Codesmith staff do, I can confidently say Codesmith is likely one of the best if not the best program out there.First, I’ll talk about my thoughts on the curiculuum, life at CS, and the staff.The production project is what sets Codesmith and their graduates apart from other coding school graduates. Instead of creating a CRUD app, you spend 1 week as a group diving deep into various parts of the tech stack to learn at a deep level something that full time developers may not know much about. (Remember that the surface area of tech is very large and no one can be good at everything). As you research, your group will try to develop an application/library that helps with that particular technology. Once you start building and coding, you’ll get much more familiar about that piece of technology, which allows you to speak at a much deeper level and carry better conversations during your interview. If your team is interested in backend technology, your team might look into message brokers, such kakfa or rabbitmq, or look into new api technology, such as graphql. This is great because in your interview, you can now talk about that technology confidently because you spent a decent amount of your time learning and coding an open source project for it.In terms of landing your first dev job, the core curiculuum, which is done in the first half of the program, covers everything you need to know and more. The “and more” part is their unit on AWS, Docker, and Devops. I’m not sure if theres any other program that talks about devops.Life at CodesmithWhen your at Codesmith, you’ll be surrounded by people trying to achieve the same goal. At first, I thought that it was going to be super competitive since everyone is essentially competing for the same job. However, you quickly grow out of that mentality and everyone begins to help and teach each other what they know or learned from reading articles, etc. It’s much more effective for everyone in the cohort to help each other out because everyone will learn so much more and get there so much faster. A rising tide brings up all the boats.The staff is very helpful, is constantly working to improve their curiculuum, and just seems to do a lot of things well.In terms of improving their curiculuum, the devops/aws/docker unit is an example of how they consantly work to improve their curiculuum. Another example is that they will take feedback on the curiculuum and will act upon it and incorporate it into the lectures. No curiculuum at any bootcamp is perfect, however, if you decide to join Codesmith, I can guarantee you that your lectures and curiculuum will be better than when I went there.They were also able to coordinate community talks with very senior developers about their work at the Codesmith locations. A notable example is that they were able to get Felix Rieseberg, a senior staff software engineer and one of the founders of Electron to talk about Electron and also have a more private Q&A session with only codesmith students. Although people may overlook this bullet, since it really has nothing to do with whiteboarding, coding, etc, for my particular experience, it provided great insight for me into how an extremely senior developer thinks and talks about technology. This non-technical knowledge that you might learn just might give you an edge during an interview (remember that they are interviewing you for BOTH technical and non-technical aspects of the job)And of course the most important part is everyone that you meet during your stay at codesmith. The network and friends that you gain are invaluable to your success.

• Duane M. • Student

When I first came to Codesmith's "JavaScript the Easier Parts" I thought I had a decent foundation. I knew how to do a "for" loop. I knew that constant variables cannot be re-assigned. I felt like I was going to crush that workshop. And then...I heard the lead instructor Phil talk about 'execution context' and I had no idea what that meant. And what the heck is a call stack?

It was at this point that I knew Codesmith truly went under the hood in explaining core Javascript concepts. So I kept coming back, week after week. Easier parts. Hard parts. CS Prep (their online 2-week prep program to help get you admitted to the 13-week residency).

Before I get ahead of myself, let me say this: Codesmith is not easy to get into. I don't have a tech background. All of this was new to me. But I finally got admitted in July 2019. If you're thinking about going to Codesmith I highly recommend it. Just know, that it is not for the faint of heart. Be prepared to spend 12+ hours a day 6 days a week for 13 weeks. The true growth comes after the day technically ends at 8pm. You'd see juniors and seniors working in the conference rooms, going over data structures, algos, etc.

The main reason why I chose Codesmith was the culture and the inclusive community. Everyone in the building is here to help you. They actually walk the walk. From the fellows, instructors, and your cohortmates, the support is there for you when you struggle. (Trust me, you will struggle). But the struggle is where the growth happens.

Before this goes too long, I'll just say this. If you're looking for a school to push you past your limits, apply for Codesmith.

• Adam Keen • Graduate

JSB is a great course to learn the fundamentals of Javascript. The environment is an immersive online room where everyone is participating and learning together. There are breakout sessions where you work one on one with one or more partners. JSB is perfect for someone who needs to get the fundamentals down. If you go on to do Codesmith's CS Prep course or the immersive program, the tuition you paid for JSB rolls over to those programs. JSB is an excellent way to start to get comfortable with techincal communication ,which would otherwise be difficult to do on your own. You also get tapped into an amazing community of people who are striving for the same thing that you are. I believe right now they have a free tuition opportunity for female identifying students. If that's you or you are just getting started with Javascript, you have no reason not to take this course! You will learn a lot and it will inspire you to continue your education towards becoming a software engineer!

• Michele Moody • Engineering Fellow • Graduate

Coming to Codesmith has been one of the best decisions I've made. The program makes a concerted effort to bring up students that are underrepresented in the STEM community. As a female and a member of the LGBTQ community, I felt absolutely at home at Codesmith. Not only do they make an active effort to include women in their cohorts and staff, but they tackle issues that women frequently face in engineering programs by including lectures on imposter syndrome and implicit bias in their curriculum. The effort that the program puts into inclusion shows - women and engineers from underrepresented backgrounds thrive here. I have made friends and allies at Codesmith that I plan on keeping in touch with for years to come.

Through the 13 week program, I built applications that provide real utility to developers onboarding new technologies. I come from a non-technical marketing background, but I’ve always loved problem-solving and wanted to move into programming. After completion of the program, I have grown in ways that I never predicted and I feel prepared to enter the workforce as a technically strong, highly communicative, passionate software engineer.

• Resident
    - 9/27/2019
    Devon Vaccarino • Student

Codesmith has been a life changing since I've been here.  Not only have I grown extremely close to all of my cohort mates but I've had the chance to build some incredible technology.

The curriculum has an enormous focus on learning through pair-programming and solidifying that understanding through building apps/dev tools.  Without Codesmith's mentoring, guidance, and structure I don't think I would have had either the motivation or the engineering prowess to build a cli tool, npm module, and web app to convert React class components to functional components with hooks syntax.

• Taylor • Software Engineer • Student

I attended the Codesmith coding school, and I was appreciative that event the intial entrance process required me to grow as an engineer, but gave me the resources to do so. Throughout the program, I not only grew exponentially as an engineer, as a systems architect, as a problem solver, but also as a person. I'm thankful for the entire codesmith community I have around me, and the network this program has given me to move into my dream job. The hiring portion is so well-informed and so intentional, and I look forward to using these tools well into my career.

• Miguelin Suarez • Student

I’m a total newbie and I want to be a software engineer.  I want to be prepared as much as I can before I dive deep into coding bootcamp.  After intensive research (ranking more than 15 schools), I concluded that Codesmith was the one for me.  I enrolled in their JavaScript for Beginners and was excited to take that first step in my coding journey.

I know that there’s a lot of free materials out there, but here are the reasons why I paid for the course (and why it’s worth it for me):

1. the tuition fees from Javascript Beginners get deducted when you take Codesmith’s next course (CSPrep or the 12 week immersive).  Since I’m going all the way to immersive, than I’m basically getting a free Basics course.

2. The experience of doing pair programming which you can’t get by studying alone.  Pair programming brings a lot of benefits:

A) it helps you get unstuck if you encounter a problem that you can’t seem to solve.  As they say, 2 heads are better than one.

B) it helps you develop those soft skills (communication) that are in high demand in software engineering jobs.  In fact, on day 1 our instructor (Jinsung, she’s awesome) insisted on these soft skills and helped us develop them.  Now, I automatically think not only on how to create code, but how to communicate it effectively to others.

1. The camaraderie you develop with your cohort.  Codesmith’s values are about helping each other and forming a community.  And all my cohorts were very supportive and helpful. One group built a fantastic project using codes that were new to me.  So I asked if I could study what they did and they immediately sent me the code for my reference. We all have our group in slack and everyone is willing to help quickly.

2. Time.  Yes, I got to study the basics and build an adventure game in just 2 Saturdays.  If I studied on my own, then I wouldn’t have been able to achieve so much in such a short span of time.

3. Bonus: our instructor (Jinsung) and the intangibles she taught us in class.  She’s a great teacher. She taught us how to create code (not just learn how to code), to think like an engineer, and communicate our codes well.  I learned diagramming and technical communication. Things that are hard to learn from self study.

So, there you have it.  My 5 reasons as to why Codesmith’s JavaScript for Beginners is a great way to start your coding journey.

• David • Graduate

Before committing to Codesmith, I’ve researched and considered a lot of different programs.  I had realized that there were some reputable programs, while there were some questionable programs.  I was accepted to two reputable programs, but I knew that I wanted the most challenging experience and knew Codesmith was the right program for me.

First, the outcome speaks for itself.  If you need objective evidence, review the CIRR report.

Second, the production projects really stand apart from other programs.  The residents tackle and solve real problems faced by software engineers.  You develop a deep knowledge in one area of the technology (not working on projects like Facebook, Yelp or Airbnb clones which seems pretty popular at other programs).  This part really made a big difference in my decision.

Third, the admission process was rigorous so I knew that the standards of the cohort would be high.  I wanted to be around smart, high potential people.

Fourth, I didn’t know much at the time, but the hiring support has been amazing.  I can’t speak about other programs, but Codesmith been great so far in this aspect. In fact, I think that the outcome of this program is the result of its hiring program.  Every program teaches open source technologies like React, so what differentiates Codesmith from the rest is its hiring program.

If you want to take you skills from zero to 60, consider other programs.  But if you want to take your skills from 20 to 120, this is the program for you.

• Tayvon • Backend Engineer • Student

I can't say enough good things about my experience with Codesmith. After graduating with my Bachelors in Computer Science, Codesmith was the next best step for me to go from a junior level to mid-level engineer. The atmosphere and learning environment that they've been able to create through the curriculum and JSHP shows their deep dedication to building and supporting the best engineers in the market. As a Codesmith Resident, I went from not being able to build out a full-stack application, to building out 4 of my own as well as a developer tool — working with bleeding-edge technology. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would. After graduating, they helped me secure and negotiate a six-figure job with an amazing company in the heart of New York.

• amazing people
    - 7/29/2019
    Hao Phan • Applicant

I’m not sure I can do justice to the amazing people at CodeSmith but I’ll try my best.  I remember reading the awesome reviews about the CodeSmith program while I was in living abroad several years ago and I wished that I had the opportunity to be a part of all the awesomeness that was described. Fast forward to today and I can say that the I had a chance to get a small taste of the real thing and it is richer and more impactful than I could ever imagine.  I cannot say enough about the quality of the people - the teachers are caring, smart, and go above and beyond to help students.  The students, prospective students, and staff that I met at JS the hard parts were intelligent, kind, and really nice to be around.  The people at CodeSmith have done an excellent job of attracting the kind of people who you could imagine having life-long friendships with.  What you’ll find are people from all sorts of backgrounds and experiences.  One of the instructor at JS the hard parts was once homeless, another was a DJ, and another was a college dropout (and I’ve learned since that he was accepted at Google).  To me, this is a place of second chances.  In my technical interview, I wasn't asked about my previous work experience or my college degree or my age.  It seemed like the tests and questions were only to gauge  my motivation and  merit and I appreciated not having to talk about the bad decisions that I have made in my past.

So I didn’t pass my first technical interview because I didn’t prepare well enough for the communication component. I was given resources to help me prepare for a retest (you’re given 3 opportunities to pass) but because retaking the test meant missing the cohort that I was applying to, I had to give up a small dream I had of joining the immersive program altogether(I have a wife and child so I couldn’t wait). I’ve since found work at a small startup doing some application development and machine learning.  Yet, I do feel a sense of missing out on what I could have been and how much better I would be as a software engineer in the long term.

I have read so many books and watched so many tutorials over the years to be able to hazily understand Javascript but it took only a few hours at CodeSmith to finally truly understand callbacks,  classes, prototypes, functional programming, and other javascript concepts.  I can easily see how someone who has finished CodeSmith’s program can qualify for mid and senior level positions because they really do teach on a deep level in a way that helps you extend what you know and apply it to solve different kinds of problems.  If you are lucky enough to ever have the opportunity to study at CodeSmith, I would encourage you to do so. I wish I could.
  • CS Prep 2019
    - 7/27/2019
    Dominic • Student

My first experience with Codesmith was with CSX and the weekly L.A. workshops, Intro to Javascript and Hard Parts. At the time, I was brand new to coding, my only experience being Code Academy's "Intro to Javascript" course which I had completed in the previous weeks.

It didn't take me long to decide that I wanted to apply for the three month immersive program. But as much as I had learned attending Hard Parts and working through CSX, I knew I wasn't at the level I needed to be to pass the technical interview.

So I signed up for CS Prep. The experience was great, and it definitely prepared me for the technical exam. Our instructor Shane was brand new, and there were a couple times when his inexperience was apparent. But overall, he was an excellent instructor - very familiar with the material, attentive and helpful, encouraging, etc.

I definitely recommend CS Prep if you plan on applying for the immersive program.

• Mohtasim • Graduate

I took CS Prep from June 22nd - July 9th with the hope of getting into the Codesmith Software Engineering Immersive Program; with its money-back guarantee + tuition rollover, applying seemed like a no-brainer. After getting in, I very quickly realized the curriculum was a lot more difficult than any curriculum (mostly Codecademy and FreeCodeCamp) that I had encountered before. CS Prep did a great job of providing information on a lot of difficult concepts that these courses often skip entirely/gloss over, while still managing to make it accessible for a JS beginner such as myself. Also, the curriculum focused heavily on developing skills such as technical communication, pair programming, and problem-solving, all of which are super important for the immersive technical interview.

For me, the best part of CS Prep had to be the course instructor, Shane. Shane’s energy, enthusiasm for both teaching and JavaScript, and his dedication to the success of his students were what made the course such an amazing experience for me. Shane always had a great attitude in class that helped keep us all engaged, and was super easy to talk to when it came to asking questions, both relating to the coursework and outside stuff.

I ended up interviewing and getting into the immersive program soon after CS Prep ended, mostly because of how prepared the program made me feel for the interview. CS Prep's emphasis on developing better technical communication, problem solving skills, and pair programming ended up being a major help during the technical interview. While the actual coursework for the program is difficult, it’s possible to grow into a much stronger developer if you keep up with the work. Overall, I would completely recommend CS Prep to anyone who is hoping to further developed their JS skills and/or is considering applying to the immersive program.

• Chris Flannery • Student

I recently completed a cohort of CS Prep with Shane Taylor. It was an excellent experience for me - I had just come off the back of having failed the Immersive technical interview twice and needed to brush up on Javascript fundamentals, get more pair programming experience, and fill in the gaps in my technical communication vocabulary. Shane and CS Prep provided all this and more. Shane is a more-than-capable teacher and a very kind and empathetic person. Part of the course included recording videos of ourselves coding - and his feedback on our videos was thoughtful, rigorous and detailed. I would highly recommend CS Prep to anyone who has not yet passed their immersive technical interview!

• Drew T • Graduate

I just finished CS Prep, a two-week online program offered by Codemith. I recommend CS Prep to those searching for a pre-cursor to a full-time bootcamp.

CS Prep cohorts consist of 10 three-hour classes. Each class follows an efficient structure - first 30 mins are for individual coding practice; following 2 hours are for a lecture led by the main instructor; the final 30 mins are for pair programming.

The lectures are engaging and allow for active student participation. Most core topics are covered.

The pair programming sessions are invaluable. Students pair up and practice coding challenges together. Students alternate roles between challenges - one student verbalizes their thought process for solving a given problem, while the other student writes code to match the instructions. The routine reinforces comprehension and improves student's ability to logic through directives from others.

Zero complaints. Two thumbs up. Drew

• Jay • Software Engineer • Graduate

I went through Codesmith immersive program from December -> March 2019.  It was a very stressful decision for me, I left my pregnant wife and 2 year old in Montana and moved to Venice for the 3 months I was in codesmith.  I needed to make sure that it was worth my time and money.  I did extensive research (just like you are doing now because you're reading this review) and narrowed it down to a few.  I was looking for THE BEST program period.  It could have been anywhere in the country and price wasn't a huge factor.  I just needed the knowledge as quickly as possible.  The curriculum, community of people and staff took my skills to where they needed to be.  6 weeks after I graduated I landed a mid-level software engineering job at a very well known company with a total comp package of ~180k.  And almost all of my cohort-mates had a very similar result at the time of writing this review.  Keep in mind...I worked my ass off.  But the hard work was contagious in the cohort and everyday I was excited to dive deeper and push myself and everyone around me.  That's what Codesmith does best.  By the end of the 3 months I was a sobbing mess, leaving people that have become lifelong friends after our time at Codesmith.  Checkout easy parts/hard parts online or in person and it will give you a good idea of the curriculum.  The x factor that codesmith has is the community that it breeds, job search prep and hiring support.  If you work hard to get into codesmith, are able to put your ego aside go through this program working your hardest everyday, follow their advice on applying for jobs => You will succeed. Period.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.

We continue to be impressed by our grads as the majority (68%) accept offers of over $110k, ranking Codesmith LA the highest median starting salary for CIRR-member programs.

For transparency, here is the breakdown of our graduates earning over $110k from 7/01/2018 - 12/31/2018:
  • $110-120k: 17.9%