codesmith-logo

Codesmith

Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online

Codesmith

Codesmith offers a full-time, 12-week full stack software engineering bootcamp in Los Angeles and New York City. Codesmith is a selective, need-blind program focusing largely on computer science and full-stack JavaScript, with an emphasis on technologies like React, Redux, Node, build tools, Dev Ops and machine learning. This program enables Codesmith students (known as Residents) to build open-source projects, with the aim of moving into positions as skilled software engineers. Codesmith Residents become engineers, not technicians, through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms and data structures), and object-oriented and functional programming. Codesmith helps residents develop strong problem-solving abilities and technical communication skills – valued capacities in a software engineer.

The Codesmith admissions process involves a written application with optional coding questions, a nontechnical interview, and a technical interview. Codesmith offers a number of free resources for preparing for the admissions process including in-person and online coding workshops, a 2-week online prep course (CS Prep), and an online JavaScript learning platform (CSX).

Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides Residents through whiteboarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues upon graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer roles.

Recent Codesmith Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (402) reviews for Codesmith →

Recent Codesmith News

Read all (29) articles about Codesmith →
  • CS Prep

JavaScript, jQuery, Algorithms, Front End
    Start Date October 12, 2020
    CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.
    DepositNo deposit
    We offer tuition payment plans and many scholarships for the course. The tuition you pay for CS Prep will roll over to the Software Engineering Immersive tuition.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case by case payment plans, please reach out to csprep@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you pass the CS Prep assessment you are guaranteed a technical interview with our full time Codesmith Program. Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case by case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to CS Prep, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelSuitable for beginners who are ready to level up to intermediate and advanced material.
    Prep WorkWe recommend some familiarity with the content in the Precourse Unit on CSX - our free online learning platform - https://csx.codesmith.io/.
    October 12, 2020 - Online Apply by September 28, 2020
    November 9, 2020 - Online Apply by October 26, 2020
  • Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive - Launching 2021

Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive brings Codesmith's first-rate curriculum to a completely remote setting allowing for the driven engineers not located in Los Angeles or New York City to advance their careers in three months. The program teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare you for mid and senior-level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses you in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages you to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare you for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the 12-week program, you will be an autonomous engineer, ready to make an impact on innovative tech companies worldwide.
    Codesmith has a range of options to help you finance your education, including scholarships, payment plans, and loan partnerships. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds are distributed on a case by case basis but are available.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self-taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
  • JavaScript for Beginners

JavaScript
    Start Date October 10, 2020
    JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour, remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals and how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.
    DepositNo Deposit
    This course has scholarships available, and the tuition you pay for JavaScript for Beginners rolls over and can be applied towards the tuition of our more advanced programs.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case-by-case payment plans, please reach out to jsforbeginners@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds for the course are available and distributed on a case-by-case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to JavaScript for Beginners, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is designed for those with no coding experience!
    Prep WorkWe recommend completing Part 1 of the Precourse on CSX, our free online learning platform, before you start the course: https://csx.codesmith.io/units/precourse
    October 10, 2020 - Online Apply by October 2, 2020
    October 17, 2020 - Online Apply by October 9, 2020
    November 7, 2020 - Online Apply by October 30, 2020
    November 14, 2020 - Online Apply by November 6, 2020
  • Part-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive

Start Date November 28, 2020
    The Part-Time Remote Software Engineering Immersive Program teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare students for mid and senior level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses students in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages them to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare them for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the program, students become autonomous engineers, ready to make an impact at innovative tech companies worldwide. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Codesmith has a range of options to help you finance your education, including scholarships, payment plans, loan partnerships, and full tuition available from SkillsFund. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    ScholarshipCodesmith offers 4 types of scholarships -those to students underrepresented in the technology community, women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarships, as well as scholarships to prior bootcamp grads.
    November 28, 2020 - Online Apply by October 2, 2020
  • Software Engineering Immersive Program

Start Date September 28, 2020
    LocationNew York City, Los Angeles
    Due to COVID-19, Los Angeles cohorts (conducted in Pacific Time) starting 6/22 and 8/10 and New York cohorts (conducted in Eastern Time) starting 7/13 and 8/31 will be remote for the entirety of the program. The Codesmith program teaches computer science, full-stack JavaScript (notably React and Node), software architecture, Dev Ops, and machine learning, preparing graduates for mid to senior engineering positions. The course also features preparatory material, extensive hiring preparation, and ongoing support with students’ job searches.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    September 28, 2020 - Los Angeles Apply by August 21, 2020
    November 16, 2020 - Los Angeles Apply by October 9, 2020
    January 11, 2021 - Los Angeles Apply by November 27, 2020
    October 19, 2020 - New York City Apply by September 21, 2020
    December 7, 2020 - New York City Apply by November 9, 2020
    February 1, 2021 - New York City Apply by December 25, 2020

• Bryan F.  User Photo
    Bryan F. • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Yes way! And it is all because of the curriculum, the hiring portion and the people.

After completing Codesmith, I understand why the students are able to achieve the results Codesmith speak of. I had the chance to attend another competing coding program free of charge, but I decided to pay $18k for Codesmith and I do not regret it at all.

The process to get into Codesmith is very unique, but it is not extremely difficult if you work hard, attend the meetups, and come with the right attitude. The reason I say it's unique is because for some crazy reason, Codesmith never fails to bring in the right candidates that are smart, hard working, supportive, and fun.

During the core curriculum, we are always pair programming. This meant that we quickly learned to digest difficult technical concepts together and communicate these concepts to our peers. Being able to pair program everyday has allowed me to honed my technical communication, which is important for interviews and on-the-job. The Codesmith team is always making the curriculum better or adding new units to the curriculum because they want to do whatever they can to prepare the residents for the current market.

During our project phase, we were always working in teams (other than the solo project). We would have meetings and daily standup and the projects are always collaborative, which is great because it is very unlikely that you would be working alone in the professional setting. We also have a project where we have to iterate over another group’s codebase, which is something that you would be doing when you join an engineering team. So it is just great that Codesmith prepares us for that.

Our final project is like no other - we have to build an open source developer tool. Currently, Codesmith residents have created tools that has 10k+ stars on Github. If you’re like me a few months ago, you might actually be intimidated by this final project. The truth is Codesmith does an excellent job preparing us during the junior portion that we are all able to build a tool that we are proud of. It is definitely challenging, but it is totally rewarding at the end.

Another thing that brings Codesmith to the next level is the hiring portion. We learned to build a robust resume that really makes us stand out and we were taught interviewing techniques that would not be taught at any other programs. I can honestly say that it has made me a more confident interviewer and the things we were taught has made me grow as a person. My fear before graduating Codesmith is that I will take an offer because I want a job and not because I like the company and the role, but the things that I learned through Codesmith has given me the confident and skill that I can pick and choose.

If you’re like me, I wanted to join a program with great people that I can form lifelong bonds with and that is what drew me to Codesmith. Codesmith has a great sense of community and the culture is great - come to any of the meetups and you can see for yourself. The team and residents are super supportive and it is always a great time. Codesmith is like family and if you are ready to work hard, play hard and take yourself to the next level, this place is for you.

• Software Engineer
    - 12/21/2019
    Rachel Kim  User Photo
    Rachel Kim • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I just got an offer that I will be accepting as my first Software Engineer role outside of Codesmith and I'm still in shock at how things worked out the way it did! I was a student in the Software Engineering Immersive Program back in May-August and had the privilege of becoming a fellow from August-November.

Many people were sharing how the job search will be difficult around the time I end fellowship but I am here to say that if you put in the hard work, you can get a job regardless of the “best hiring” season. I am super thankful for the Codesmith community as I have made so many amazing life-long friends/engineers who are here to support me in my new journey, every step of the way. I can’t thank the staff enough for believing in me and giving me all the resources I need to succeed. Thank you Codesmith!

• Daniel Nagano-Gerace  User Photo
    Daniel Nagano-Gerace • Backend Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TLDR: Started researching how to improve my career in March and April 2019. Attended Codesmith from June to August. Currently writing/managing code in distributed systems handling over 20,000 concurrent requests a second, contributing server code for data worth millions. And I've made lifelong friends along the way.

Why Codesmith?: No other program puts so much emphasis on cultural fit. To attend Codesmith, you must show extreme empathy, willingness to dive deep into the unknown, and a compulsion for great technical communication with your partners, mentors, and teams. In every way, being surrounded by so many hand-picked, brilliant, empathetic, and driven engineers — many with absolutely no prior experience — will fundamentally change you for the better. And residents come from all walks of life. And every resident must not only excel in pair-programming formats and team settings, but they also must mentor others.

I will quote someone I personally mentored in the program, who handed me a note the night before graduation — “Just wanted to leave a little note of gratitude instead of word vomiting a bunch of stuff at you the night before you ‘left’ CS. I truly appreciated the energy you depicted. I felt as if you were cheering me on even before I got there. To be honest at first I was super intimidated by you but in the end that environment of challenge was exactly what I needed to push through for you showed me that no task was too daunting for me to accomplish. Thank you for your words of wisdom and for sharing your worldview. Thank you for being there for me & for telling me over and over (and over) again that the underdog can and will prevail.”

Hiring Support: Self-advocacy. We teach people how to push themselves for bigger and better things. In total, I never once applied for a single company in my entire job search — I took 56 interview requests from external and internal recruiters. The primary reason was that the projects and codebases I had worked on in CS had such bleeding edge tech stacks — gRPCs, Protobufs, Docker, Node, Webpack, RxJS, Concurrent React, Redux, Next.js, SQL, Mongo, AWS, etc., — that I fulfilled nearly every mark on req sheets for huge numbers of companies. As I took more interviews and phone screens, tech screens, take homes, and on-sites, there was always a tight knit community of alumni and staff that supported me through every rejection and hard knock. So that by the time I hit multiple offers, I had gained so much perspective and self-confidence that I was able to negotiate my salary to above $170k.

Community: I still hang out regularly with dozens of people I met through the program. It’s an amazing thing to have so many friends that all have six-figure salaries in the same field who I can lean on and who can lean on me for the rest of my life. I will forever be grateful for this place.

• Camera Walrond  User Photo
    Camera Walrond • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My time at Codesmith was an invaluable experience in my journey to becoming a software engineer. When I initially decided to switch careers, I knew I wanted to attend an immersive program in order to accelerate my progress. I did tons of research on the full time programs available to me in my area (NYC). Many seemed promising, but as I learned more about each program and attended their public events it became clear to me that Codesmith was one a different level. When I attended my first Hard Parts I was so impressed by the teaching style and the energy in the room. I felt like Codesmith was really a place where people went to hustle hard and change their lives. I applied to the immersive program and met more members of the Codesmith team and they were all supportive of me throughout the interview process. I was accepted to the immersive program and dived right into the curriculum with 23 other lovely humans as cohort mates. The curriculum is formatted such that residents are constantly learning and building with new technologies at a rapid pace and are always coding with a pair programming partner. I found pair programming to be highly beneficial to my learning process because not only did it help me refine my own technical communication but it also made me more effective at interpreting and deploying my partner’s technical ideas, which is an essential skill for any engineer in a production environment. Beyond the curriculum, Codesmith also stands out in terms of community. All of my cohort mates were people who went out of their way to help one another all the time. The warmth of the staff, teaching fellows, and my cohort mates throughout my time as a resident made working through long days for three months truly enjoyable and these relationships have persisted for me even after graduation. For anyone considering applying to a Codesmith program, my best advice is to attend an event on campus and talk to the people you meet there. The rest will speak for itself.

• Andy  User Photo
    Andy • Senior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This review is for working professionals considering the pivot into Software Engineering

My Background:

Located in NYC - Previously working in a Fortune 50 company as a tech-adjacent manager for over 4 years in the Financial Risk industry. In May I was notified that my role was being outsourced and was given a choice of relocating to another state with a pay cut or get laid off. My dream was to someday be in command of my own career and have skills that employers sought after instead being a budget item that needed to undergo annual cost-reduction.

CodeSmith Experience:

I started off by attending free meetups and found myself at CodeSmith to attend JavaScript the Hard Parts. I am the first person to go through the trifecta, (JS for Beginners, CS Prep, and the Immersive program) It wasn’t easy. CodeSmith was one of the most challenging endeavors I signed up for in my career. There are plenty of reviews online that will go into detail on the curriculum but the main take away is that there is no real secret. There are hundreds of learning material available online for free. What I’ve gotten out of CodeSmith as an experienced professional is a room full of people from multiple industries leveraging their prior work experiences to constantly push each other to consider multiple perspectives and solve problems in ways I could not have done via tutorials or coding on my own. This is why CodeSmith is able to grow residents into mature senior engineers.

CodeSmith isn’t a place to pay money to sit down and coast to a high paying career. I relate CodeSmith to giving me a map, but I still had to manually drive down the road and figure out where to turn along the way.

Afterwards/Summary:

From being laid off back in May, to learning JavaScript and going through Hard Parts, JSB, and CS Prep in June-July, to the Immersive program from July-October, I’ve put in over 80 hours of work per week to improve myself. This wasn’t easy for me nor for my loved ones whom would only see me for a few hours on a good week. (The community was caring and ensured I got enough sleep)

5 weeks after graduation and two offers later, I will be starting my first job as a Senior Software Engineer next week with an above average 6-figure salary. My most valuable asset is my software engineering knowledge which I’ve sharpened and grown throughout CodeSmith. I am confident now in my job security and the ability to find more work in the future when the time comes. The tech and skill set I’ve learned are highly sought after in the job market. A major selling point for CodeSmith - If certain frameworks or libraries are no longer in demand, CodeSmith tends to remove older content in favor of newer content that is more competitive in the job market.

I came from zero JavaScript knowledge working at an unfulfilling job to taking my first step into Software Engineering. I truly believe that it doesn’t matter how you learn or what program you take if you put in the hard work, but CodeSmith definitely expedited the process and made me never give up.

• Dan  User Photo
    Dan • Senior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I remember reading these Course Report reviews for Codesmith several months ago when I was planning for a big career change in life. Needless to say, I was convinced to start Codesmith’s Software Engineering Immersive from the reviews — and indeed, it was life-changing as some here have echoed. I personally ~4x’d my salary (well past $150K+ a year) , so it was well worth it for me, not to mention the life-long friends and confidence in technical problem solving I’ve gained along the way. I’ve had the privilege of going to an Ivy League school and I would say, without a doubt, that my Codesmith experience was on par with it for my career and personal growth — if not even better.

A little bit about me: I’ve worked in tech doing a variety of roles from marketing to operations, but I had never really touched coding directly. I took a couple of programming classes, but never went much deeper than that. After I began learning some basic web design for my job, I become more interested in it. I had a great time learning on my own, but I knew in the back of my mind that it would be an uphill battle for me to become a “real” software engineer without more structured learning. I learned about Codesmith and JavaScript the Hard Parts and I was impressed by the core fundamentals they taught — things that even senior engineers have brushed over. I quit my job and then took a few months to prepare for the technical interview.

When I got there, I knew I had made the right choice. The curriculum is well-designed, covering the fundamentals of front-end and back-end development, and the staff is adding new subjects like AWS and machine learning frequently. In my cohort, we usually spent 9AM - 8PM taking lectures and doing the coding assignments. I recall many times where I stayed past 11PM, as many others have, but that was something that I enjoyed — going deep or freshening on some topics after the normal hours didn’t feel like work at all. Some subjects like databases could use an update, but Codesmith is working on addressing those issues and keeping the curriculum as up-to-date to reflect the technology that’s actually being used in the industry. I think the best part of the program is the production project that happens at the second half of the immersive. It’s an opportunity where you and a team of other residents create and launch a developer tool into the world. It’s 6 weeks of hard work, going from 0 to 100 on an exciting area of software engineering that interests you where you will gain real maturity as an engineer, something that I reckon other programs don’t offer (I heard that the capstone projects of other programs are what we at Codesmith do at the end of our 6-week junior portion — meaning we had another 6 weeks dedicated to create something meaningful in terms of software engineering.)

Overall, the curriculum and production project definitely makes you job-ready by the end of the immersive. Although you may have to supplement on some topics that you didn’t get quite the first time, it’s only a matter of time before offers come in, especially in the relatively good job market in 2019 (so seize the chance now!) So you’re intellectually ready, but the job hunt is more than the knowledge you have. Another core skill is how to present your skills and other soft skills to signal that you are a hire-able dev, and indeed, Codesmith has a solid series of workshops just on hiring. There’s also hiring day, where companies come in to do speed-dating type interviews with Codesmith residents. It’s a good opportunity to get your feet wet with interviewing, and some people have gotten offers from hiring day. There’s usually a good number of companies attending hiring day, but most of my cohort mates found jobs through their own job applications or technical recruiters. Again, Codesmith does everything to set you up for success on the job market, but it’s up to you to hustle and double-down on the job hunt.

The best part of the immersive hands-down is the people you will meet, fellow engineers that you’ll be coding with. The instructors are great, but I would say I’ve done the most learning with my cohort mates. If I ever have a question, I’ll go up to someone and usually we’ll buckle down and Google our way into understanding a concept. Such a network of learning and support from your peers for a difficult technical subject is hard to replicate anywhere. Underrated as it may seem, this self-directed learning with others is a really great way to learn, and it’s something that you’ll have to continue doing on the job. It’s the people that make it vastly better than learning it all on your own — your cohort mates are a diverse set of people that Codesmith has vetted to create a tight-knit of students who are hungry to learn like you are. The people and the environment of support are really what sets Codesmith apart from other programs, if I’m able to compare. The community manager plans great events where you can take a break from coding and recover, from kickball on Venice Beach to the weekly Thursday night drinks. Plus, you also join a wide network of software engineers on the alumni Slack, some of whom work at places from Google to Tinder to exciting startups around the US. I’ve very grateful for the strong network of folks that I’ve gained throughout my Codesmith journey, and I still keep in touch with them today.

In terms of what I didn’t like about the program, I think Codesmith can do a bit better to refresh their curriculum as I’ve mentioned. But the industry is always changing and the most important skill is the meta skill of learning how to learn, which you can gain from the immersive.

After the program, I was able to find a senior level frontend role through the Codesmith network. I’m happy with my job and my accomplishments, and I don’t think I could have leveled up this rapidly without my experience at Codesmith. The best part is that I know that Codesmith and the Codesmith network will continue to provide support (in the form of new opportunities or technical interview prep, for example) for my next role, and the next one.

If you’re still deciding on pulling the trigger but you’re certain you want a challenging career in software development and have the grit to go through the peaks and valleys of learning the ropes of a whole new industry, then I recommend you get the ball rolling and begin the application process soon, whether that’s submitting your application, enrolling in CS Prep, or attending your very first JavaScript the Hard Parts workshop. Fast-forward 3-6 months, your life won’t be the same, not only because of a high-paying and rewarding software job, but also because of the network of equally dedicated engineers you’ll gain and the tools to continue learning and challenging yourself.

• Sam  User Photo
    Sam • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before Codesmith I couldn't land an 80k salary junior level job, after finishing I was turning down multiple job offers to work for my dream job at Google. My offers’ base salaries were all 125k-150k, not to mention generous stocks and signing bonuses.

Codesmith stands apart from other programs - it uniquely is the only program out there that trains students to become mid-senior level engineers, not junior level engineers. I have chatted with many grads from other bootcamps at coffee shops, libraries, meetups, linkedin... and they struggle to land interviews for junior level positions and get next to no messages from recruiters. Contrast that to Codesmith students who land many interviews and get flooded by recruiters - for mid-senior level positions at that with (at the time of writing) median 117k salary.

I had no software job prior to Codesmith and no Computer Science degree - the vast majority of students in the program did not either. And for the students that did in fact have software job experience - let's just say they landed some pretty amazing positions ;) I feel extremely fortunate and lucky to have found Codesmith and it completely changed my career prospects. Not only is the program content brilliant, but the community and friends I have found through working hard 12 hour days and fixing bugs late at night has been life-changing. The staff, instructors, and fellows are some of the warmest and most diverse and memorable set of people you'll meet.

It takes courage and care for a program to train students with no prior software job with the goal of becoming a mid-senior level engineer rather than a junior level engineer. And this is in the same amount of time as other programs, that is, 3 months. The program is much better crafted than what I have learned other programs do. The projects you do at Codesmith that you showcase to future employers are better - you make developer tools solving original problems in web development performance, frameworks, scalability, and tooling. The resumes you make at Codesmith are better - the guidance is more complete and more nuanced. I have checked the linkedin profiles/resumes of some students of other bootcamps, and they are far weaker. The general knowledge you gain at Codesmith is better, and the students are more passionate too. They simply know more.

The outcomes I've seen at Codesmith are of course wonderful - everyone would like to start their software engineering career with a more stimulating job with greater responsibility and greater compensation, but how is it possible to land a mid-senior position straight out of a bootcamp? After all, most bootcamp grads struggle to find junior level positions, and online you can read many articles and watch many youtube videos where people talk about their post-bootcamp job struggles. I would suggest you do your research and look them up. You might think that sure, Codesmith might have a better curriculum, a better set of projects, and stronger post-program guidance, but it seems unlikely that merely some better things here and there would catapult students to confidently landing mid-senior positions. What is the secret sauce that makes this happen?

The answer is - paradoxically, it is easier to land a mid-senior role over a junior role!

Basically, it's tough to enter the job market as a junior developer because those positions are insanely oversaturated with applicants. Not only are you competing against recent grads in the U.S., you're competing with developers overseas who'd happily take a relatively low U.S. salary because they are earning much less. Junior jobs tend to provide you with much less responsibility and challenge, and potential for upward mobility.

Because Codesmith prepares you for a mid-senior level position, you are able to skip the hell of the junior dev job market. And for me, skipping that junior dev job market was a godsend. But to actually make it past recruiters and hiring managers and convince people that you are ready for a mid-senior level position, you need a dedicated set of projects (and the right projects, not weak versions of social media or dating apps as in most coding bootcamps), resume bullet points, a good prepared and rehearsed narrative/life story, and strong domain experience (knowledge of React and Node at a deep level informed through experience making apps). Because recruiters and hiring managers will look at your numerical number of years of experience and already be biased against you, you need everything you can get to overcome them perceiving you as inexperienced. Codesmith is excellent for preparing you for overcoming this hurdle.

You may very well save around 3 years of your life in your career progression by bypassing the junior level job market and entering a mid-senior position straight away.

However, it takes a lot to succeed in this program, and not everyone in this program succeeds. When most people I talk to ask me whether they would be capable enough to succeed in the program, they often ask whether they would be “smart” enough for the program. They are concerned that they don’t have the fast-thinking clever-manipulating genius-hacking brain speed to manage what’s going on. And this is a mistake. Everyone who passes the technical interview to get into the program has the raw smarts.

More important is your willingness to work hard and not check out at any stage of the program. You can’t check out during the first month of the program learning the precise fundamentals of JavaScript, React, Node, and full-stack web development. You have to bravely dive in when the going gets tough and tackle the above with enthusiasm and develop a genuine passion for how e.g. promises work and offer expressive power over traditional callbacks, or what’s the best way to structure a React-Redux application. You can’t check out when you are making the group projects - these are what you bring to prospective employers. You can’t check out when you are crafting your resume and practicing mock interviews, and you have to learn to present yourself confidently. You can’t check out when the program is over - apply to as many jobs as possible, go on interviews and confidently shake the interviewer’s hand, and study to fill in as much of your knowledge holes and gaps as you can (provided that study is not an excuse to not apply to jobs - you can’t just study before you apply). I sometimes feel that people use the “not smart” thing as an excuse to check out - you simply cannot check out.

Equally important is your resourcefulness. This is your ability and eagerness to look up information. When you get stuck, you need to be able to find a way through. You have to be good at looking up documentation online. You have to be good at reading Stack Overflow and understanding the core idea of the question/answer without mindlessly copy-pasting or hastily dismissing the content as irrelevant. You have to have the social courage to ask your classmates for help. You can’t afford to be afraid of “bothering them” and looking stupid. Often I have saved many precious hours by asking the right person a question that I would not have been able to figure out on my own. And yet conversely, you can’t be overly dependent on asking people for help. You need to be able to figure out the core of your day-to-day work on your own through your own problem-solving and resourcefulness. A good software engineer knows when to ask for help, and when to buckle down and carefully think through and research things.

The support for students is phenomenal. The staff offers so much personalized help during the program, and has a post-program job search support program. They directly email students one-on-one to schedule meetings to practice interviews and polish resumes. Your lead instructors will directly work with teams to decide on the best and most compelling senior project. Fellows do one-on-one tutoring sessions for students struggling with assessments, and give high-level guidance on senior projects. The staff is so passionate and puts so much time in. They genuinely care and love what they do.

At Codesmith, people regularly get offers from household name companies: Google, Amazon, Netflix,Ticketmaster, IBM, Hulu, Paypal, LInkedin, Snap, and others, not to mention a wide swath of early and late stage startups. I feel confident at my job at Google and am working at a great pace, and have come so far from being unable to land even a junior level position. Codesmith has made me more than prepared for a fulfilling software engineering career, and it wouldn’t be without the brilliant design of the program, the ingenious insight that it’s better to shoot for a mid-senior level position, and the dedication of the staff to helping students reach their goals.

• Amazing program!
    - 11/10/2019
    Abby  User Photo
    Abby • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

In short, Codesmith will change your career and life. They have extraordinarily high-quality teaching, a curriculum that pushes you to truly become an engineer (and get hired as one!), and an incredibly warm and supportive culture.

Personally, I came to Codesmith NY in the summer of 2019. I’m a technology entrepreneur, but I had long since forgotten the web development I learned in college, so I decided to double-down with a bootcamp. After 3 months with Codesmith, I’m confident that I can build my first version of my next product, and that I have a strong foundation from which I can learn anything moving forward. Stepping back, here are just a few of the stellar things about Codesmith that stand out:

1) Extraordinary teachers. From the first time I stepped into Javascript: The Hard Parts, I was blown away by Codesmith’s teachers. They have an amazing ability to break down complex concepts and make them simple and easy to understand. Even more importantly, they are incredibly encouraging and teach you how to approach a problem, which empowers you with the skills to figure things out yourself.

2) Very thoughtful curriculum. Codesmith has done an amazing job of putting together lectures, exercises, projects, and hiring support (e.g., coaching, resume reviews, follow-ups) to push you at every step of the way. They certainly aren’t holding your hand, but that’s deliberate – you struggle and push through to improve your own learning, and there’s always support around the corner. I loved the challenge and variety.

3) Culture! I think Codesmith has the most positive, inclusive culture that I’ve ever experienced in my life. They really build an amazing community where everyone is insanely supportive of each other and you can really lean on and have fun with everyone. The community really makes it possible to have a blast while you’re working hard every day.

If you’re considering Codesmith, go for it! Codesmith has been a formative experience for me, and I can’t recommend it more highly.
  • Khalid Umar  User Photo
    Khalid Umar • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Statistics show that people are more likely to leave a review if the review is negative. This is not one of those cases. I recently graduated from Codesmith’s software engineering immersive program in NY. I can confidently say, it was one of the best experiences of my life. You get an unmatched curriculum and brilliant instructors.

What sets Codesmith apart from other coding schools is the community. It is uncommon to see people leave at 8:00 PM.  People stick around to work on algorithms, improve a project, pick up a new skill or just hang out and exchange jargon on new technologies.

Your job outcome is only the amount of effort you put in. My peers at Codesmith were hardworking people. They put in the hours (long hours) and helped one another in projects, interview prep and the job search. They are landing high $100k+ job offers because of their hard work and the supportive community.

If you would like to know if Codesmith is right for you, attend Javascript The Hard Parts sessions hosted by Codesmith online or in person. It’ll give you an idea of their teaching style and what the community is all about.

• Great experience
    - 11/8/2019
    Sophie N  User Photo
    Sophie N • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Codesmith is an exemplary program for a number of reasons - its curriculum is current and constantly refreshed, for instance, and its instructors are stellar. However the two things that I think really set this program apart for me are its community and its hiring program. Codesmith is one of the strongest, most supportive communities I've ever been a part of, and the staff go to every effort to make sure that those admitted to the program are going to contribute positively to that community. They are fiercely protective of it, and their efforts ensure that you don't mind that you're there 12+ hours per day working with the same people, because you're enjoying the company of those around you as much as the work itself. I would go home at the end of a long day, exhausted but excited to go back and do it again tomorrow. They always welcome alumni and provided a space for me to work when applying to jobs. That brings me to the hiring program, which is exhaustive and well thought out. I had no idea what the hiring process was going to be like, and it seemed daunting, but Codesmith broke it down and made it manageable. Their approach to applying for jobs is different than anything I'd encountered in the past, even at times it was counter-intuitive, but it works. Within a few weeks, I had two six figure offers, and there were others in my cohort with more than that. I'm very grateful to this program, its founders, instructors and staff for enabling me to change my life.

If you're looking at bootcamps, I highly recommend checking out Codesmith. You can experience the teaching style and the community by going on Thursday nights to their Javascript the Hard Parts lectures. It's free and gives you a good tase of what to expect.

If there's any room for improvement, it's only that they're growing a little too quickly. The space they're in is beautiful, but they've expanded so fast that it's a tight fit.
  • Amazing Experience
    - 11/8/2019
    Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I had an unblievable experience at this software engineering immersive. The staff, the people, and the community are what really separates codesmith from other traditional bootcamps. I would recommend being pretty solid on CS fundamentals before joining, as the curriculum is challenging and fast-paced. The first half of the program is geared towards the core technologies/curriculum while the second half is mainly project building and hiring workshop. Absolutely would recommend this to anybody looking to turn their lives around and get into SWE as a career!

• Life Changing
    - 10/24/2019
    Jacob   User Photo
    Jacob • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the Bootcamp in 2019 and I cannot speak highly enough of my experience. The training I received was high quality and approachable. If I ever struggled with a subject my mentors or peers were always there to help me out. The projects you work on successfully enforce the core tech stack taught by Codesmith. Additionally, Codesmith's blend of projects and pair programming seamlessly work together to not only teach you the technology, but also teach you how to solve problems for your self. This bootbcamp does not spoon-feed you solutions. It forces you to struggle and meet your breaking point day in and day out. Beyond the technical instruction, the support staff are top-notch professionals. They make the sacrifice you make for enrolling in a bootcamp worth it. They are always there to answer any questions regarding tuition, scheduling, etc. But they also are instrumental in organizing the networking days, which were vital in my job-search process. I cannot speak highly enough of them. Finally, the best thing about Codesmith is the community. They work hard to make sure their students fit the culture of the program, which makes working with the people wonderful. I made life-long friends during this program and always looked forward to coming in every day.  At the end of the day, the Codesmith program works. It gets results. Codesmith's unique blend of community, technical training, and hiring support make it far superior to any other boot camp.

• Chris J  User Photo
    Chris J • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Codesmith is one of the pivotal moments of my life.

Prior to attending, I was struggling to find meaningful work. I knew I wanted to get into software engineering, but I didn't have the knowledge nor background, but I had immense desire to break into the field. I heard about bootcamps when they first popped up 7 years ago and always thought about attending.

I decided to take the leap after realizing this was the most direct route to an engineering job.

I wanted the most rigorous and intense program and narrowed down the choices amongst Fullstack Academy, Hack Reactor SF, and Codesmith. These were all schools with classes Mon-Sat 9am-7pm+. I chose Codesmith after attending their Javascript the Hard Parts and speaking with multiple alumni about their experience. For many of them, it was a transformational experience that launched them into a dream career, granted they put in an enormous amount of work.  I could relate to them and felt that I too could make the transition.

The experience itself is one the best periods of my life. It was a totally immersive and I got very close with my cohort. I slept in my car, was in the classroom from 9am to 1am+, and made life-long friends. I'm very thankful that such intensity was not only encouraged but cultivated as there were a couple others that would stay up and grind well into the night. And frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.

I learned a ton from my peers and worked on projects that interviewers were intrigued and impressed with. My classmates were outstanding and many of us went on to earn offers $100,000+. The promise is real, but you have to earn it. Many of us went to top schools yet some didn't even go to college at all. One of my classmates came from an animation background with no college degree and struggled to grasp many of the concepts, yet he never gave up and hustled harder than anyone and nabbed a 6 figure offer after applying to hundreds of positions and going through nearly a hundred phone interviews. You meet hardcore committed people here, people that will inspire you to elevate yourself and get to the next level.

Job support is great. There are alumni that hang around and will help you out and the staff are committed. I called a year after graduating to negotiate an offer and a 5-minute call with Uncle Eric, who advises on neogtiations, helped me get an additional $15k in salary and $5k in bonus. I followed his instructions and everything happened exactly as he described. The people here are real Pros, they know what they're doing, and they're not messing around.

Shoutout to Will, Schno, Shanda, the fellows, and staff for making such a fun and intense atmosphere. It really is one of the best experiences of my life and I'm very grateful for having gone through the program. I too got that 6 figure offer, and I'm working at a job that not only is using the exact stack that was taught (React, Node, Mongo) but is also very fun! I continue to work hard and the future is very bright.

Codesmith Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 38 graduates included in report:

85% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.