codesmith-logo

Codesmith

Los Angeles, New York City, Online

Codesmith

Codesmith offers a full-time, 12-week full stack software engineering bootcamp in Los Angeles and New York City. Codesmith is a selective, need-blind program focusing largely on computer science and full-stack JavaScript, with an emphasis on technologies like React, Redux, Node, build tools, Dev Ops and machine learning. This program enables Codesmith students (known as Residents) to build open-source projects, with the aim of moving into positions as skilled software engineers. Codesmith Residents become engineers, not technicians, through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms and data structures), and object-oriented and functional programming. Codesmith helps residents develop strong problem-solving abilities and technical communication skills – valued capacities in a software engineer.

The Codesmith admissions process involves a written application with optional coding questions, a nontechnical interview, and a technical interview. Codesmith offers a number of free resources for preparing for the admissions process including in-person and online coding workshops, a 2-week online prep course (CS Prep), and an online JavaScript learning platform (CSX).

Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides Residents through whiteboarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues upon graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer roles.

Recent Codesmith Reviews: Rating 4.9

all (427) reviews for Codesmith →

Recent Codesmith News

Read all (29) articles about Codesmith →
  • CS Prep

JavaScript, jQuery, Algorithms, Front End
    CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.
    DepositNo deposit
    We offer tuition payment plans and many scholarships for the course. The tuition you pay for CS Prep will roll over to the Software Engineering Immersive tuition.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case by case payment plans, please reach out to csprep@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you pass the CS Prep assessment you are guaranteed a technical interview with our full time Codesmith Program. Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case by case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to CS Prep, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelSuitable for beginners who are ready to level up to intermediate and advanced material.
    Prep WorkWe recommend some familiarity with the content in the Precourse Unit on CSX - our free online learning platform - https://csx.codesmith.io/.
  • Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive - Launching 2021

Full-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive brings Codesmith's first-rate curriculum to a completely remote setting allowing for the driven engineers not located in Los Angeles or New York City to advance their careers in three months. The program teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare you for mid and senior-level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses you in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages you to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare you for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the 12-week program, you will be an autonomous engineer, ready to make an impact on innovative tech companies worldwide.
    Codesmith has a range of options to help you finance your education, including scholarships, payment plans, and loan partnerships. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds are distributed on a case by case basis but are available.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self-taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
  • JavaScript for Beginners

JavaScript
    JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour, remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals and how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.
    DepositNo Deposit
    This course has scholarships available, and the tuition you pay for JavaScript for Beginners rolls over and can be applied towards the tuition of our more advanced programs.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case-by-case payment plans, please reach out to jsforbeginners@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds for the course are available and distributed on a case-by-case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to JavaScript for Beginners, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is designed for those with no coding experience!
    Prep WorkWe recommend completing Part 1 of the Precourse on CSX, our free online learning platform, before you start the course: https://csx.codesmith.io/units/precourse
  • Part-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive

The Part-Time Remote Software Engineering Immersive Program teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare students for mid and senior level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses students in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages them to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare them for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the program, students become autonomous engineers, ready to make an impact at innovative tech companies worldwide. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Codesmith has a range of options to help you finance your education, including scholarships, payment plans, loan partnerships, and full tuition available from SkillsFund. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    ScholarshipCodesmith offers 4 types of scholarships -those to students underrepresented in the technology community, women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarships, as well as scholarships to prior bootcamp grads.
  • Software Engineering Immersive Program

Start Date December 7, 2020
    LocationNew York City, Los Angeles, Online
    Due to COVID-19, Los Angeles cohorts (conducted in Pacific Time) and New York cohorts (conducted in Eastern Time) are currently remote (online) for the entirety of the program. The Codesmith program teaches computer science, full-stack JavaScript (notably React and Node), software architecture, Dev Ops, and machine learning, preparing graduates for mid to senior engineering positions. The course also features preparatory material, extensive hiring preparation, and ongoing support with students’ job searches.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    December 7, 2020 - New York City Apply by November 9, 2020
    February 1, 2021 - New York City Apply by December 25, 2020
    January 11, 2021 - Los Angeles Apply by November 27, 2020
  • Love it!
    - 8/3/2015

It's tough for me to write this because it almost sounds contrived, but I love Codesmith most because, it's become my home.

I am currently enrolled in Codesmith's 12-week immersive program.  We have just finished week 4 and I am excited to get started on the project portion in just 2 more short weeks.  I can't say enough good things about this place.  The community is the kind where we spend Sunday together even though it's not part of the program.  The people are amazing, passionate and incredibly smart.  I haven't felt this happy, excited and welcomed in years.

So far we have learned: HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, React, Node, Angular and MongoDB.  We also learned a bunch of ancillary things like Express, Mongoose, Bootstrap, Ajax, etc., but those aren't really concepts so much as tools you learn how to use when you need them.

It's tough to recognize the progress you're making while immersed in the program because you're comparing where you are today to where you were yesterday.  Fortunately, every now and then you get a reminder of just how far you've come.  The most recent moment for me was just after presenting my first full-stack project when a student in the junior cohort asked me to help him with understanding hash functions.

Before entering codesmith I was barely understanding closures and callbacks and I didn't even know what a hash function was or what it could be used for.  Now I'm deploying a full stack application to Heroku and using a hash function in conjunction with a database to implement my own authentication!  It's an amazing feeling!

In short, I love this place. I'm learning a ton and If you're serious about becoming a full-stack engineer, apply today!

A deeper dive on the experience here:

Things I love about the program:

Community

The community here is amazing.  Everybody is super friendly, hard-working and always willing to help you understand a concept.

The instructors here are top notch.  Will Sentance, the CTO teaches a bunch of the tough concept lectures.  I don't know if it's his british accent or friendly demeanor, but I find him incredibly easy to learn from.  Even with my ADD, he keeps my attention and his explanations are really really clear.

The pace I'm learning

When you start the course there is a large disparity in the knowledge between students with a computer science background and those without.  Coming from economics and business, I was really far behind!  After the first few weeks, however, the disparity is much smaller and you start learning things like React and Angular - topics that nobody has seen yet.  Although I don't expect to understand computer science theory as well as some of my fellow students, I'm just as good as them at building apps!

Thursday night happy hours

This is an incredibly hard program.  Everybody here is really driven to succeed.  People stay late every night to finish their projects or study up on concepts they're struggling with, but on Thursday nights we party... It's awesome.

Things I get frustrated with:

Workload is very heavy

I understand why the workload is so heavy.  We're going from 20% to a full-stack engineer in twelve weeks.  There really isn't an easy way to do this.

Hours are really long

We work 12 hours a day, minimum.  My typical day starts at 8:55 AM and ends around 10 PM.  Again, I understand this is necessary, but I do miss free time.

Things I have a love-hate relationship with:

Pair Programming

If you haven't pair programmed yet, you should.  Find a friend who is about the same level of programming as you and pair!  There is more to it than this, but essentially you don't touch the keyboard ("navigator") and they take directions from you ("driver").  After twenty minutes, switch roles.  This is likely going to be an incredibly frustrating experience for both parties.  However, it is absolutely the best way to accelerate your learning.  I love learning quickly, but in the moment I get frustrated because I just want the answer!

The Socratic method of teaching

The Socratic method of teaching essentially boils down to this: the instructor does not give answers they just ask you questions to guide you to the right answer.  This is super effective because it forces you to make the connection yourself.  Pretty much all law schools teach this way as well as Harvard, Darden, and Tuck Business Schools.

• Great
    - 11/7/2020
    Anonymous • Software engineer • Graduate
    Codesmith was great. I graduated in August and accepted a job offer for well above the advertised average salary in October.
  • Software Engineer
    - 10/30/2020
    Coming from a non-technical background, I did my fair share of research of what bootcamps were out there before finally selecting Codesmith. I had heard great things about its community and how they really emphasize empathetic engineering as a culture and this couldn't have been more true. I truly felt welcomed and never once did I feel judged if I started to feel like I was falling behind. Another great thing about Codesmith is their hiring program. They don't just teach you the skills and knowledge to become a developer but how to become a developer, aka the hiring process after you graduate. It's really detailed and they even have someone that helps you negotiate your offer when it/they come in. It's definitely an all-encompassing program and I'm so grateful I got to experience it!
  • CSPrep
    - 10/27/2020
    A preparatory program for the main boot camp that Codesmith offers; mainly to help those attending to pass the technical interview portion of the application process for the main boot camp (passing the technical interview is not guaranteed).
  • Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I took a while to enroll because I was skeptical about the outcomes. Let me tell you, it’s real. When I had no choice but to change my life, I took the leap and it was the best decision yet. Everything, from the admissions process, curriculum, to the job search has been dissected at every detail to provide the best results. There’s a lot of science behind this, so it’s not magic. It would take forever to explain how, but just trust the process and you will find yourself like a new born. If you keep applying what you’ve learned here at Codesmith, you’ll surely reach high places in all areas of life, not just software engineering.
  • Good Luck!
    - 8/26/2020
     TL;DR - I am glad I went to Codesmith.

When I decided to go to a coding bootcamp, I didn’t know which one to pick from these two: Hack Reactor and Codesmith. They seemed equally good in different ways. HR has been around longer than CS, so I had a good number of engineer friends vouching for HR. (I actually almost went to Hack Reactor, and I’m so glad I did not!) At that time, I simply chose Codesmith because I had a more pleasant interaction with the CS admission team than the HR admission team. I could see why so many people mentioned Codesmith culture on their reviews.

Everybody in your cohort will have different backgrounds and skill levels. You might or might not find the immersive program to be an intense/challenging experience. Either case, I think it’s important to set clear expectations for yourself. What you put in is what you get out - Are you dedicated? And what do you hope to gain from this experience? Codesmith is great, but there is only so much Codesmith can do for you. Having clear expectations will make your Codesmith experience much more enjoyable and meaningful :) Based on my experience, here is what I can guess you will get to experience when you decide to join Codesmith:
    • Dave/Phil will put so much energy into every single lecture you get.
    • Eric and Annie will make sure you get the support you need during your job search.
    • You will have awesome cohort mates throughout your journey.
    • You will be part of the Codesmith community - full of supportive, empathetic engineers.

Lastly, what I think Codesmith can do better: More careful and transparent fellows selection process. One’s satisfaction level with Codesmith can vary widely depending on who the fellows are. (Most fellows I interacted with were awesome.)
  • Anonymous • Software Engineer • Student
    Probably like you, I did extensive research when reviewing the options for coding programs in LA, including Hack Reactor and GA. I considered a lot of things, and made endless Pros and Cons lists, so the review is separated in sections that might be of interest to you.

Community and Support
    This was my number one reason for attending Codesmith. From attending the weekly lectures open to the public and reaching out to Codesmith alumni, it's easy to see how strong Codesmith keeps its community. From how approachable the instructors are and how helpful and supportive the staff/fellows have been, Codesmith has all other coding programs beat. They make it fully apparent that they are there for you and want you to succeed, which plays a huge role in anyone's journey. The support is there throughout the program and especially during the hiring phase, which is arguably one of the best things about Codesmith. Even though I've graduated, I can honestly say that the people that I've met there will continue to be a part of my journey for years to come.

The curriculum has space for improvement, but nonetheless, it gives potential software engineers the tools they need to get started as a mid-senior level engineer. There are endless things to learn in the technical industry, but what Codesmith does an amazing job at is teaching you how to learn and how to struggle. This becomes especially helpful on the actual job since, like I mentioned, you may be faced with the task of using a new technology. The struggle and unfamiliarity won't be a stranger to you by then!

Projects
    Codesmith enforces its curriculum through the projects. Projects are an important part of landing your first software engineering gig. You'll learn things like git flow, agile methodology, working with others, and facing challenges with tech (ie React, Redux, Node). The experience working with other engineers for a similar goal really helps candidates speak about behavioral challenges in actual interviews. Personally, many of the things that I talked about in my behavioral interviews came from Codesmith which really paid off.

What could have been improved...
    To be fair, some lectures could have definitely been shortened. A lot of the learning is done through working with others and the actual units/assessments. More time spent on that would have improved the experience. Additionally, Data Structures and Algorithms in the first week is a lot of content to take in and it's quite a challenge (from an instructor's Point of View) to teach someone. These concepts are difficult and will require you to study them on your own time.
  • Worth every penny
    - 8/10/2020
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I spent nearly a year researching various bootcamps before deciding to go with Codesmith and I don't regret it at all. What first attracted my attention were the noticeably higher admissions standards and graduate salaries than all of the other options I found. My main hang-ups were the cost and the fact that I was going to have to quit my (decent IT) job to attend. Eventually I just decided I didn't want to compromise and wanted to completely go for it if this was what I wanted to do. I left my job in January making $70k/yr and just got hired as a software engineer at a major company 2 weeks ago (July) making $120k/yr, and my results aren't even exceptional (which you can see for yourself on their site). I had to take out a loan to attend, but the upgrade in salary just within the first year will easily cover the cost of the program.

This was truly a life-changing program for me and my cohort mates would say the same. We still talk daily about news in the web development community, how things are going at our new jobs for those who have been hired, and job search advice for those who are up next. The network you'll build and the support you'll receive are really incredible here. It might have been the most challenging thing I've ever done, and the end of the program as well as the job search were a real grind (especially during COVID), but I'm also so proud of myself for setting this goal last year and now accomplishing everything I set out to do. I could nitpick certain parts of the curriculum and how some things were organized, but in the end it doesn't really matter because the learning style emphasized at Codesmith forces you to get comfortable diving into the unknown and figuring things out with minimal hand-holding.

You will absolutely feel like you're not getting enough time covering, well, almost any of the material. But that's okay because you're setting a foundation for yourself by learning the things that will have the most impact, and then moving on so you can cover as much material as possible. If I tried to learn these things on my own I'd easily take over a year, maybe even two, to cover just as much ground because I know I'd waste time diving into every rabbit hole thinking it would make a difference when it really wouldn't. They give you the tools to continue to grow beyond the end of the 12-week program so you'll have the mindset of a real software engineer and not just another 'bootcamp grad.' They also now offer part time remote programs that take longer to complete but provide the same curriculum for people who aren't able to leave their current jobs to attend the in-person programs in LA or NY. All programs are currently remote due to COVID anyway.
    PROS
    - The tech stack. All of the technologies the program focuses on are the major ones you'll encounter in the job search.
    - Your cohort mates. Everyone goes through the same interview process to get in, so there's a bar that's already established when you start. Definitely different skill levels, but I was very satisfied with the skill level of my mates.
    - The learning style. At CS we didn't just watch tutorials and build small apps. You were always working on a level were things felt just slightly too hard for where you were at, and that was a perfect spot to be in.
    - Amazing hiring program. It's really hard to make someone interview ready for jobs that pay six figures after a 3 month program, but CS really takes it as far as they can. They check in with you as you're applying, helping you tweak anything that needs to change and you'll know what you need to focus on in order to get a great job.
    - The overall vibe. Very hardworking community and awesome environment. I was nervous when I started the program, thinking I wasn't sure if I'd be able to pull those crazy hours for such a long time. But it was great, and not as exhausting as I thought it would be, because the energy and the community was so great.

CONS
    - A lot of time is spent being taught by fellows (people who attended the program recently). Some of them are amazing but unfortunately some of them are not as great, and it can really affect what you get out of the program. I wish CS was a bit more upfront about this.

• Worth it
    - 7/31/2020
    I wasn't too sure what to expect when it came to attending a coding bootcamp. However after coming through the program, Codesmith was well worth it. You can talk about the constantly kept up to date curriculum or the high quality of instructors, but the main strength of Codesmith isn't captured in the numerical value of a review. They teach what it means to be a better engineer, which hinges largely on learning how to work well with others ( because at the end of the day,  no one wants to work with someone they don't like ). A majority of the time at Codesmith is spent practicing pair-programming in which you work with another engineer as you face unfamiliar challenges. It's an intense experience, but an important lesson to learn. The focus on block driven development helps you learn how to learn to solve problems. As a software engineer, it is your job to solve problems, and Codesmith makes sure that you are prepared to do so.
    Codesmith was an amazing place to learn and grow as an software engineer. Everyone was as hopeful as they could be. The real learning though happens when you search for the job. The best part of the program is the friends and connections you make within the program.
    Response From: Phillip Troutman of Codesmith
    Title: Director of Instruction and Curriculum
    Thursday, Aug 13 2020
    Hey! So glad to read this review and to hear about your positive experience transitioning into software engineering especially from a structural engineering background. As you said, the job search requires a lot of work and learning, so congrats again on landing your new role at Google a few weeks back! Feel free to Slack me back if you think there’s anything we can do to better help students successfully land software engineering roles as you did.

-Phil
  • Anonymous • Applicant
     Based on my own experience with the pair programming workshops that are offered to the public:

Issues:
    -Mis-pairing (i.e. two programmers may be looking for help with different topics, yet be assigned together, and, on top of that, be assigned to a topic that neither of them knows how to approach).

-How we are assigned to topics to practice

Background: To determine how we are paired,  we are shown a list of tech skills, and then each programmer is supposed to give himself/herself a point for each skill that he/she is comfortable with. Afterward, each programmer would add up his/her own points to get his/her total point. Our total points would then determine who we are paired with and with what topic.

From what I recalled: There are skills listed that may not have bearing on a programmer's understanding with JS. For instance, one of the skills listed was HTML and CSS, but do HTML and CSS have bearing on how skilled a programmer is with JS? Or, if a programmer is comfortable with callbacks, does that mean that the programmer is comfortable with for-loops and would not benefit from doing the Intro to JS's challenge questions?

-Lack of guidance on HOW to technically communicate (i.e. how the navigator should read the question out loud first, how to communicate line by line (i.e. not assuming that the driver knows what you want to do next), how to verbally declare a variable, etc.)

Suggestion: Ask each participant ahead of time which topic he/she wants to practice. We have to rsvp to the event, so, why not send out a survey link a day or two before the event, asking each participant which topic he/she wants to practice, so pairings could be decided BEFORE the event. You can find out how many participants want to study a certain topic and have an idea of which topic would have extra or no participants. If a particular pair programming workshop does not have enough programmers wanting to practice a particular topic, a participant looking to practice that particular topic could know ahead and decide whether to still participate in that workshop or rsvp for another workshop.

In the case of no-shows, last-minute participants, or participants changing their minds - we should be told who we are paired with when we at the workshops, just when we are about to split into pairs (i.e. so the hosts would have enough time to rearrange the pairings if needed).

Using this suggestion would allow the time that would have been spent on calculating points to instead be spent on demonstrating HOW to effectively communicate a code.

Codesmith Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 38 graduates included in report:

85% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.