codesmith-logo

Codesmith

Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online

Codesmith

Codesmith offers a full-time, 12-week full stack software engineering bootcamp in Los Angeles and New York City. Codesmith is a selective, need-blind program focusing largely on computer science and full-stack JavaScript, with an emphasis on technologies like React, Redux, Node, build tools, Dev Ops and machine learning. This program enables Codesmith students (known as Residents) to build open-source projects, with the aim of moving into positions as skilled software engineers. Codesmith Residents become engineers, not technicians, through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms and data structures), and object-oriented and functional programming. Codesmith helps residents develop strong problem-solving abilities and technical communication skills – valued capacities in a software engineer.

The Codesmith admissions process involves a written application with optional coding questions, a nontechnical interview, and a technical interview. Codesmith offers a number of free resources for preparing for the admissions process including in-person and online coding workshops, a 2-week online prep course (CS Prep), and an online JavaScript learning platform (CSX).

Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides Residents through whiteboarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues upon graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer roles.

Recent Codesmith Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (334) reviews for Codesmith →

Recent Codesmith News

Read all (21) articles about Codesmith →
  • CS Prep

JavaScript, jQuery, Algorithms, Front End
    Start Date February 3, 2020
    CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.
    DepositNo deposit
    We offer tuition payment plans and many scholarships for the course. The tuition you pay for CS Prep will roll over to the Software Engineering Immersive tuition.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case by case payment plans, please reach out to csprep@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you pass the CS Prep assessment you are guaranteed a technical interview with our full time Codesmith Program. Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case by case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to CS Prep, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelSuitable for beginners who are ready to level up to intermediate and advanced material.
    Prep WorkWe recommend some familiarity with the content in the Precourse Unit on CSX - our free online learning platform - https://csx.codesmith.io/.
    February 3, 2020 - Online Apply by January 20, 2020
    March 2, 2020 - Online Apply by February 17, 2020
    March 30, 2020 - Online Apply by March 16, 2020
    April 27, 2020 - Online Apply by April 13, 2020
  • JavaScript for Beginners

JavaScript
    Start Date February 1, 2020
    JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour, remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals and how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.
    DepositNo Deposit
    This course has scholarships available, and the tuition you pay for JavaScript for Beginners rolls over and can be applied towards the tuition of our more advanced programs.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case-by-case payment plans, please reach out to jsforbeginners@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds for the course are available and distributed on a case-by-case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to JavaScript for Beginners, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is designed for those with no coding experience!
    Prep WorkWe recommend completing Part 1 of the Precourse on CSX, our free online learning platform, before you start the course: https://csx.codesmith.io/units/precourse
    February 1, 2020 - Online Apply by January 17, 2020
    March 7, 2020 - Online Apply by February 21, 2020
    April 4, 2020 - Online Apply by March 20, 2020
  • Part-time Remote Software Engineering Immersive BETA

Start Date February 22, 2020
    The Part-Time Remote Software Engineering Immersive Program BETA teaches fullstack JavaScript and computer science to prepare students for mid and senior level software engineering roles. The expertly designed curriculum and supportive community immerses students in modern web technologies, such as React and Node.js, and encourages them to tackle unique and unfamiliar problems to prepare them for the ever-changing tech landscape. Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides students through the hiring process, including interview strategies, portfolio development, and post-graduation check-ins. By the end of the program, students become autonomous engineers, ready to make an impact at innovative tech companies worldwide. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Deposit$2000
    For our BETA program we will be offering multiple payment plan options where you can select from various monthly payment choices or deferred payment alternatives. Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds are distributed on a case by case basis but are available.
    ScholarshipCodesmith offers 4 types of scholarships -those to students underrepresented in the technology community, women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarships, as well as scholarships to prior bootcamp grads.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self-taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    Prep Work4 weeks
    February 22, 2020 - Online Apply by January 24, 2020
  • Software Engineering Immersive Program

Start Date February 10, 2020
    LocationNew York City, Los Angeles
    The Codesmith program teaches computer science, full-stack JavaScript (notably React and Node), software architecture, Dev Ops, and machine learning, preparing graduates for mid to senior engineering positions. The course also features preparatory material, extensive hiring preparation, and ongoing support with students’ job searches.
    We have financing partnerships available via SkillsFund as well as case by case payment plans! Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    Prep Work4 weeks

• Software Engineer
    - 8/15/2019
    Gaber Mowiena  User Photo
    Gaber Mowiena • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Codesmith is a very fast-paced agile environment, In order to make the most out the curriculum you better be prepared and have some experience with the technologies covered

• Sam

Codesmith provides an excellent foundation in computer science and JavaScript.  The program positioned me incredibly well to transition from a career in finance to software development.

I graduated from Codesmith in April 2016 (cohort 5). I had three job offers in two weeks and started my new career within a month. I wouldn't have been able to make this transition without the program and the support of the Codesmith staff.  More importantly, despite using almost no JavaScript at my new job, Codesmith's curriculum taught me how to quickly pick up any topic and I've been able to add value from day 1.

Highly recommended.

• Tiffany • Software Engineer • Graduate

I am a former student, former engineering fellow, and current employee (Software Engineer) at one of Codesmith's hiring partner companies.

Previous Background

I worked in tech for a few years in marketing and client success before deciding to take the leap into software development. I started learning Python about a year before joining the program and devoted three months (while working a full-time job) to learning JavaScript before applying.

Application Experience

The staff at Codesmith was quick to respond to inquiries and setting up appointments for both the cultural and technical interviews was a breeze. There was a good amount of emphasis placed on learning JS fundamentals on your own before applying, and as a hard worker, I appreciated knowing that I would be surrounded by other hard workers if I got into the program.

Something that really stood out to me during the application and interview process was how passionate the Codemsith community was about cultivating a positive engineering environment. I was deciding between Codesmith and another prominent bootcamp in LA that I was also accepted at, but the culture at Codesmith is really what solidfied my decision to go there.

Student Experience

The program seemed to be academically challenging for all students despite people's varying levels of technical experience and background. It was well-paced, and although I was constantly challenged, I never felt like I couldn't handle the amount of work, and I certainly never felt bored.

As a working software engineer now, I realize how relevant almost everything we learned in the program was. My employer seems to always be surprised by the amount I already know despite this being my first engineering job.

Also, I'd like to add that getting into the program was a competitive process, but once you're in, you really develop a strong rapport with your cohort. I still keep in touch with my cohort mates and it's inspiring to see how much we've all grown and accomplished since the program ended.

Fellowship Experience

I applied and was selected to stay on as an engineering fellow after my session ended. I stayed on for an extra six weeks (though it's typically twelve) to assist with solution and approach lectures, guide students as they learn new concepts, and help debug students' code.

I was really able to solidify the material I learned as a student in the program having to explain it to new students and answer their unexpected questions during the fellowship. Being able to explain technical concepts in great depth really set me apart from other applicants when I started interviewing.

Job Placement Experience

I met my current employer at Codesmith's Hiring Day around six weeks into my fellowship. They noted that they were impressed with my communication skills and dedication to technical excellence, which wasn't surprising since both qualities are constantly emphasized at Codesmith.

Even after getting traction in the interview process with a few different companies, the Codesmith team stayed involved and were always checking in to make sure I had the support I needed to be sucessful as I was getting close to landing my first software engineering job. I couldn't appreciate them more for having helped me get to where I am now.

TL;DR

Before I joined Codesmith, I thought it would be near impossible to become a software engineer without a major in computer science. Codesmith not only gave me the training, but also the confidence and network that allowed me to become a working software engineer today. 10/10, would do it again.

• Hamza • Graduate

Two things set Codesmith apart in my opinion.

1. The people: There are hundreds of coding bootcamps out there and it was difficult to figure out which one was the best for me. I visited as many as I could, and tried to figure out what was differnent about each one, and what schools existed to just take my money. I attended JS The Hard Parts at Codesmith's headquarters in LA, and was blown away by everyone's willingness to help me learn. That continued after I started as a student. Everyone at Codesmith, from the instructors, to the fellows, and even the students was willing to stay late and help me become a better developer. On top of that, the students at Codesmith are exceptionally gifted and talented people who previously have gone to the worlds best universities and have been very successful in other careers. You can't help but learn faster when you are surrounded by such talented people all day.

2. Focus on personal growth: Throughout the program, but especially during the project period, students are pushed to step outside their comfort zones to become better thinkers, programmers, and people. People at Codesmith are always encouraged to pursue new technologies and learn new programming paradigms. Codesmith understands that the industry is always changing and while the curriculum is in JavaScript, the purpose of Codesmith is to teach you how to think as a professional developer. At Codesmith, you are always pushed to strive for more. The culture of creating autnomous problem solvers is really what makes Codesmith different.

• Wade Armstrong • Graduate
    I'm a husband, dad, and former Product Manager, making the move into Engineering. I actually started as a full-stack ASP developer (despite my complete lack of CS knowledge!) during the dot-com days, and then moved into Product Management. Over the last few years, I've realized I missed development, and wanted to move back; but my 15-year-old skillz weren't going to do it.

My last job was as a Product Manager at a start-up, managing multiple technology systems. I found myself doing front- and back-end development about 1/3 of the time, and enjoying it much more than I enjoyed Product Management.

One of the nice things about doing all of that development work was that I knew for sure that I'd have fun at it, and that I could do it every day, all day long. It was just a matter of operationalizing that desire.

I had self-educated in ASP the first time around, and knew that I wanted to attend a bootcamp that would give me more -- and faster -- than I could just learn myself. I had a sound grasp of fundamentals such as datatypes and basic control flows, but didn't know about time complexity or combinatorics or anything like that, so I needed a program that would start me from that point, not from zero. I'd also been involved in hiring dozens of developers in my Product Management career, and I wanted to choose a program that would turn out a developer I'd have hired. Finally, I'd been frustrated coding in multiple languages across the stack during my former development career, so I wanted to learn full-stack Javascript.

Codesmith delivered on all of this. Their program is academically-challenging, but also structured in a way to help you succed. I was exposed to the techologies and techniques I need to know not just to get a job now, but to stay ahead of the industry going forward. As someone who's worked with developers, I can say that their focus on pair programming and on teamwork, as well as overall source control and testing workflow, is real-world accurate in many settings.

It's not just about code, either: Codesmith ensures that you're a good technical communicator, with presentation and whiteboarding practice throughout the program, as well as the pair programming focus. They definitely build the skills you need to succeed in any workplace, and even go above and beyond to challenge you to be conscious of, and remedy, your weaknesses.

The community they build is amazing; I expect I'll be in touch with many of my classmates for years, and we will help each others' careers throughout that time.

Speaking of careers, hiring day was amazing, with some of LA's top companies hiring for mid-level and senior jobs -- not a junior position there! I'm in negotiations now for the job of my dreams, at a salary higher than I could have reasonably expected.

Codesmith is a bootcamp, in the best sense of that word: they take you in, and build you into someone new, and better, who is part of a community. I'm proud to have graduated from Codesmith!
  • Alumni
    - 5/17/2016
    David • Software Engineer • Graduate

I am a recent graduate of the Codesmith program (cohort 5). Coming into the program I had a basic grasp of JavaScript and was able to write some code, but did not have an in-depth understanding of the language. However, I now consider myself to be very well versed in the language and am confident in my ability to write web applications, solve algorithms, and learn new languages. These are the abilities that Codesmith helped me to obtain.

Within two weeks of graduation I received my first job offer, and it was higher than I expected coming into the program. Codesmith provided me with a solid computer science and coding foundation, and I have had little to no problems with technical interviews.

While the Codesmith program is still working out some kinks, it is a startup that iterates quickly and is improving across all facets. Increasingly the program is bringing in stronger students and will soon have a network of unbelievably bright developers over the next several years.

Based on my research, there is no other program in Los Angeles that compares with Codesmith in terms of having a strong focus on both academics and culture. They place a lot of emphasis on communication and pair-programming, which means you will get to know your classmates very well. From my cohort, I have made friends with a good group of people with whom I will stay connected.

Additionally, they have a great advisor, Eric Kirsten, who was very helpful in navigating the job search and assisting students with negotiations. Personally, he helped me throughout this process, and I am happy with the results. Moving forward, I am glad that I attended Codesmith, and I would strongly recommend it.

• Jared F. • Graduate

Codesmith is providing its students the highest-quality education in cutting edge technologies.

Why should you go to this bootcamp instead of another bootcamp?

1. The community: Codesmith has a strong committment to community; they host the LA React meetup that brings in developers from all over. They host Nodeschool LA where people come to learn Node.js for free. Industry professionals from Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Netflix, Yelp and LinkedIn come by for Q&As with students.

2. They help you get jobs: Codesmith has a robust hiring program that brings in top tech companies from LA and San Francisco; they prepare students for technical interviews, and for a career in technology

3. They teach you how to learn: a great bootcamp should arm its students with more than just knowledge of the latest frameworks because new technologies always emerge. Instead Codesmith prepares its students to learn, understand, and solve challenging techical problems.

• Susan T. • UI Engineer • Student

I am a graduate of Codesmith’s 3rd cohort that ran from Oct 2015 - Jan 2016. I also worked as an engineering fellow after graduation until April 2016. As of May 2016, I’ll be employed with an e-commerce startup in Marina del Rey as a UI Engineer.

Going to a bootcamp was a huge decision for me and one that I spent a lot of time agonizing over. I knew that I wanted an advanced level program like Hack Reactor, but the catch was that I needed to stay in Los Angeles for financial and personal reasons.

When I attended my first JS The Hard Parts meetup at Codesmith, I was blown away. I had already made up my mind to attend another awesome full-time bootcamp in LA and was prepping for their interview in a couple weeks - Codesmith put a huge wrench in those plans. For one,

Will Sentance, the CTO, is an incredible teacher that makes complicated concepts accessible for people that are new to programming. Secondly, every student and person on staff that I spoke to was so down-to-earth and friendly that I immediately felt comfortable in this new environment.

Why did I choose Codesmith?

I was accepted into Codesmith and the other bootcamp in LA that I interviewed with. I received a partial scholarship to attend Codesmith, but I had already made up my mind either way.

Here were the deciding factors:

Rigorous curriculum and excellent instructors that would put me in the best possible position to get hired after graduation.  I liked their emphasis on learning computer science fundamental and algorithms that not all the other programs were offering, and I knew that Will Sentance would be teaching a lot of these fundamental classes. Andy (aka the Code Whisperer) conducted a great admission interview - he challenged me to optimize my code and when I got stuck, he nudged me in the right direction. The interview itself revealed how challenging the coursework would be (a stark contrast to the other interview that I had).

Community and support - I felt like Codesmith saw potential in me that I couldn’t even see for myself at times. The staff was incredibly supportive, which revealed what I didn’t realize that I needed in a bootcamp - I wanted to learn in a caring, supportive environment. I could not imagine another bootcamp that could do this as well.

Did Codesmith meet my expectations?

Absolutely. I wanted a program that had a rigorous curriculum and I got it - more than what I could process at times (which was a good thing - though it was frustrating in the moment). The community and support that I received was amazing. I don’t know if I could’ve pushed through all the challenging times without it. When I needed someone to talk to, I could always find someone to empathize with my situation and help me move through it.

What can they improve on?

Communication and Organization - last minute schedule changes were frustrating at times. They did let us know that it was because they were constantly iterating on the program to improve our experience. From a student perspective though, it sometimes led to confusion - i.e. anticipating a lecture, but having it moved to the afternoon.

What exceeded my expectations?

How much they were paying attention to pair programming dynamics - i.e. people steamrolling or students shutting down. Unless you’ve been doing pair programming for more than 3 hours with someone, can you fully understand how important this is. When students consistently had a bad experience with someone during pair programming, they made sure to rectify the situation and help everyone grow and learn in the process. We all came out better communicators and team players because of this.

How Codesmith taught us how to learn new topics in general and how to solve any problem, not just the ones we were given.  Yes, it’s awesome that we learn Javascript, React and Angular, but as a lot of graduates experienced, a lot of companies were looking for other languages and frameworks. Codesmith prepared us to deal with uncertainty, rapidly pick up new material and have confidence that no matter what challenge we may encounter, we’d be able to push through and solve it.

Hiring day was spectacular. I would’ve been perfectly happy with about 10 hiring partners given that our class size was on the smaller side, however, I was blown away when we had 25 companies in attendance: Whisper, Disney, Tool of NA, Black Tux… We all got in-person interviews after hiring day, which ultimately led to the full-time position that I’ll be starting soon.

Overall, it was an amazing experience. I could not have been as successful in my career transition without Codesmith. For a little taste of the culture and community, see my goodbye/thank you video to Codesmith. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy74rtmI64Q

• James B • Graduate

I am a recent graduate and current fellow at Codesmith. Deciding to attend Codesmith was one of the best, if not the best, decisions of my life! I went from knowing minimal jQuery programming to truly being able to build anything I can think of (seriously). Even though they focus on Node, React, Angular, Databases, JS Fundamentals etc., what they are really teaching you are the tools needed to go and learn any technology in an extremely efficient manner. For example, my group's final production project required Three.js and WebGL, technologies not specifically taught here. Thanks to the fundamentals, tools and ideas we gained in the first 7 weeks we were able to quickly get up to speed with those technologies and create an amazing project before our cohort ended. Also, the culture at Codesmith is second to none. Everyone is focused on helping each other and growing together, part of the reason you can learn so much here in such a short amount of time. The hours are long, the concepts aren't easy and your going to challenge yourself like you never have before. However, if you stick with it you'll be awesomely rewarded with these skills. Getting through to the project period and seeing what you can actually build is an extremely rewarding experience. If you get accepted to Codesmith, I highly recommend attending. You won’t regret it!

• Brian G. • Software Developer

Back in January 2015 I decided to move from NYC to LA. I was a consultant for the world's largest technology consulting firm and really wasn't feeling it. After struggling to learn Web Dev on my own for the longest time, I decided to quit my six-figure job, move across the country and enroll in Codesmith. I was part of Cohort 3 running from Oct '15 to Jan '16.

Needless to say Codesmith changed my life, but it wasn't easy! Anything worthwhile shouldn't be easy! We started with fundamentals, data structures, algorithms, DOM manipulation...and before I knew it, I was building full stack projects using the latest libraries and frameworks out there.

Although the curriculum is exceptional, the most important piece of Codesmith is the culture and environment. I had 0 friends when I moved to LA, and it was amazing to quickly be so welcomed into a community and surrounded by talented people that I continue to stay in touch with. Even after graduating, I feel like I am going to my second home when I visit.

Just to make sure this isn't a puff piece, Codesmith - like every program does have wrinkles that need ironing. There were parts of the program that were not perfect. We were all clocking in 80-90 hours a week, and having us do a hackathon at 8pm until late into the evening was just draining and caused a bit of grumbling. Also the schedule is 'flexible' and can change without notice, but that is just part of being in a start-up and things changing quickly due to iteration.

If you made it this far in the review, then you made it to the most important part - jobs!! I can say without doubt that if you put in the effort, embrace the struggle, and trust the program you will get a job. I received my first offer after 2 days, and after 2 weeks I accepted another offer for more than I was making in NYC as a consultant.

If you are looking for an immersive program in Southern California, Codesmith is it!
  • In Just 3 Months!
    - 2/24/2016
    Bryan T • Graduate

Codesmith has transformed my career path in the course of 3 months.  It is truly an immersive program, dedicated to teaching fullstack web development.  The program is very challenging, in terms of pace and substance, which includes teaching fundamental computer science concepts, Angular and React frameworks, using Node to implement a backend, creating and managing a database, and much more.  There is also quite a bit of support for graduates which consists of additional lectures on various topics and tons of job support.  Codesmith has since become a second home for me, which can be accounted for by the special culture it engulfs you into.

• Demian Martinez

Originally posted on Yelp : Link

I first heard about Codesmith as my big brother picked up an interest in becoming a software engineer. My brother decided that he wanted to jump straight into JavaScript and we learned about Codesmith while looking for local meetups.

Now although Codesmith is a 12 week software engineering program, they do hold weekly "Build with Code" sessions so that new developers can come in, learn some JavaScript, and  get a feel for the education that one may get when applying to Codesmith.  I've been coming to Codesmith with my big brother for their weekly "JS the Hard Parts" series and it has been amazing. Will Sentance who is CTO and one of the main instructors at Codesmith teaches the sessions and makes an effort to involve everyone in the learning process, as well as make sure everyone is understanding the material before moving on. Our first day at a session was really fun and motivating as well. It really makes you excited to learn and it's what keeps us coming back. I've talked to a lot of people that have been to other places for coding sessions and they often say that the other ones they go to are really boring and they feel more like a study group instead of a session where you actually go to learn something.

I really encourage everyone to check out Codesmith. Whether you are looking for a program to learn software engineering or you are new and want to meet people who are just starting like yourself. Check it out, it's a great environment, and it is extremely friendly and welcoming.

• Anshu Siripurapu • Student

This review was originally posted on Yelp, available here: Anshu S.'s review of Codesmith

If I had to choose a word to describe my experience at Codesmith it would be: transformative. I first heard about the program by reading the CTO, Will Sentance's answer to a question on Quora: quora.com/Are-there-any-…

A friend of mine from high school was interning with Codesmith for the summer and posted about their weekly "Build with Code" sessions which they host in Codesmith HQ Thursdays. I had no plans that day and decided to go, if nothing else but to support a fellow Falcon. I was treated to a lecture by Will on the fundamentals of web development and walked through a tutorial on incorporating video-chat to a web app using Icecomm. At the start of the lecture, Will asked us a series of questions to gauge our level of experience. The only one I got was "Do you know what a variable is?"

That was the extent of my programming knowledge when I started the 8-week academy at Codesmith in the summer of 2015. I am a political economy major at the University of Southern California and my only experience with programming had been a 2-unit Java course that I hastily withdrew from. By the end of Codesmith, however, I had developed a full-stack application that had been a dream of mine for years: an interactive tool for USC students to plan their curriculum over four years. See: class-map.herokuapp.com I also built a snake game, an integrated calendar-chat app, and an alarm-clock that posted messages to a Slack channel via web-hooks when you pressed Snooze.

The difference between a college class and Codesmith is simple: at Codesmith you are surrounded by people who are all vested in your success. The Engineers in Residence that were recruited hailed from some of the top engineering schools in the country --UC Berkeley, Duke, UCLA and the University of Pennsylvania -- and were always eager to help and incredibly supportive. Through a combination of lectures, pair-programming challenges, and projects, the program helps you realize your goals as a web developer. The lectures were clear and informative, and the challenges were difficult enough to force growth as a learner. The "Hack Hour" problems at the beginning of each day solidify your understanding of JavaScript fundamentals and teach you creative ways to tackle standard interview questions. This immersive environment is critical for learning something as difficult as web development.

In addition, Codesmith provides access to the industry through a series of guest lectures which are open to the public. I personally saw Tom Occhino, one of the lead React engineers at Facebook, speak and they recently hosted Netflix tech lead Jafar Husain. The team behind Codesmith is committed to helping every cohort achieve their career goals.

If you are still undecided, I would recommend going to one their weekly meetups and meeting the people behind Codesmith who are all extremely talented and approachable. It's a decision you won't regret, I guarantee it.

• Michael Smith • Graduate

I was part of Codesmith's 2nd cohort that went from late June to the end of September in 2015. During that time I've met, worked with, and befriended several intelligent, hardworking, awesome people. I can honestly say that, having gone here, I've changed my life for the better.

I didn't have much of a coding background at all before coming here, but after my 3+ months at Codesmith I feel confident and happy in my abilities. Before applying, be aware that this is a VERY strenuous course; you will be here 60+ hours a week for 12 weeks learning exactly what you need to learn to build a strong foundation and break into the industry.

That being said, the staff is extremely compassionate and dedicated to the success of the students. If you have the passion and work ethic to push through the challenge, Codesmith can be a very rewarding experience.

The curriculum focuses on JavaScript, Node/Express, Angular, and React, but also covers jQuery, databases, and authentication. The final 6-8 weeks are devoted to building projects.

If you aren't quite sure if Codesmith, or even becoming a software engineer is for you, then I highly recommend that you check out one of the many free Meetup events that Codesmith hosts:
    meetup.com/codesmith

Beginners and experienced coders are welcome to come learn and meet with the teachers and students.

In the Los Angeles area I really can't image that there is anywhere better to learn how to code. Codesmith is devoted to providing the best possible experience and supporting the growing community.

Codesmith has transformed my life in such a short amount of time. I knew I wanted to be a web programmer and I was going to teach myself JavaScript over this past summer. On my own I probably would have still been trying to learn the fundamentals, not creating projects to reinforce my knowledge in different frameworks and libraries. Codesmith didn’t teach me to program by giving me the syntax to a function, but they explained the process of a function and how its variable store works. Getting a deeper understanding of how a computer executes a callback function, for example, has gotten me further than solving a single problem on an online tutorial. I have learned how to be/think/act like a full stack engineer.I didn’t come from a stereotypical tech background, I graduated with a B.A in American Studies a few months ago and now I have a good understanding on how servers, databases, and multi-threading work. It is such a great feeling to be able to understand the process of what your code is doing, but there is so much more I want to learn. Technology is constantly evolving and Codesmith has equipped me with a skill set to keep learning on my own.

I had just graduated from college with a B.S. in computer science when I stumbled upon Codesmith. Looking to get some web development experience, I decided to take the course and am very happy I did so.

As many people will tell you, there is a gap between industry expectations and what you learn through computer science classes and projects. This is a gap that can be largely filled by experience, and Codesmith does just that. At Codesmith, you receive a balance of computer science fundamentals and practical skills. Among other things, you will become intimately familiar with data structures, basic algorithms (sorting and path-finding) and Big O analysis. You will use what you learn in development so that you have practical skills to accompany the theory.

The web-development curriculum provides excellent exposure to full stack web development. At Codesmith you will learn many things the hard way first, for example, learning to use Node to set up servers without any frameworks before learning to use Express or Hapi. This will give you a deeper understanding of both what’s going on underneath the hood, and in the bigger picture of your application.

One of my favorite things about Codesmith is that they value holistic growth, meaning you won’t just be taught to be a developer who can create websites with ready-made tools. You will be encouraged to become an engineer, who can architect systems beyond websites, and to modify or create your own tools as you see fit. You won’t just be an engineer with team experience. You will be encouraged to lead through empathy, and follow industry workflow with version control and testing. Additionally, Codesmith holds “tutorials” where you will have moderated discussions on tech. One of my favorite discussions was on Client side vs Server side rendering. You will be encouraged to form a strong understanding of whatever technologies you’ve been exposed to so that you can communicate your thoughts coherently to laymen, as well as anyone else in the industry.

It does take commitment and hard work on your part, but if you want to be a full-stack developer and like what you have heard so far, I recommend checking out Codesmith to find out more.

I am a recent graduate of Codesmith, and it was an incredibly rewarding experience. I came to Codesmith looking to make a career change, and the experience was way more than I expected.

Codesmith teaches you to be a full-stack developer, and you are challenged constantly throughout the process.  You build a deeper understanding of data structures, algorithms and fundamental javascript concepts with daily hack hours. There are lectures daily on key technology topics as well as application-specific concepts. Most importantly you will also learn Angular, React, Node, Express as well as database applications like MongoDB, PostrgreSQL. The days are broken up in a way that you are always going and the time really flies. As you learn new technologies, you are challenged to build both group and solo projects of your choice utilizing those technologies.  The projects are both challenging and incredibly rewarding as you solve real problems encountered while building and deploying applications.

Beyond the coding - there is an incredible community at Codesmith. Guest speakers from major companies like Facebook, Netflix, NFL.com and NPM just to name a few were great additions. Most importantly, the friends you make, and relationships you build are amazing. The engineers/instructors are genuinely invested in your development as an engineer and are always willing to go the extra mile to help you. If you want to learn something - they will help you get there!!

• Codesmith Review
    - 11/19/2015

I completed the 8-week Summer academy at Codesmith this past summer and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  At the time I had just finished my MBA at USC Marshall and was looking to continue learning and challenging myself in the available months I had before I began my new role.  I was familiar with Codesmith from their weekly Javascript - The Hard Parts sessions, meetup.com/build-with-co…, and it was immediately apparent this was a well-designed program with serious promise.

It was an intellectually challenging experience. My previous programming experience was limited, so the initial learning curve was steep.  The full 12-week program is designed around a 30% - 40% working familiarity with Javascript starting day 1, so I had some ground to make up, but I did.  Within a few weeks I was working on teams building full-stack applications, browsers games, and a hilarious web scraper that kept you alert of everything Donald Trump was tweeting.  The progress I made in a matter of a few weeks was pretty remarkable.

Learning by building is the approach at Codesmith, and it's effective.  The first weeks of the program cover computer science fundamentals like algorithms, data structures, APIs, and databases, but they are taught via coding challenges and mini projects that merge theory with real world application.  Some topics come more easily than others, and some days require an inhumane volume of coffee to finally debug an application, but the rate of concentrated learning is unlike anything I've ever experienced before.  The remainder of the program is dedicated to working in teams on group projects.  The Codesmith engineers kick off each day with hack hours as well which help you continually hone your coding chops.

The building is spacious and crackling with a palpable feeling of enthusiasm and hard work. Everyone is there to help, and you can feel it. I highly recommend the Codesmith program.

Their program is all about mentorship, and yet at the same time, they create students who become independent problem solvers. It's an intense course, but the instruction and the people at Codesmith are all truly first rate on every level.  Not just awesome at teaching Javascript, but also just incredibly nice people who I enjoy being around. Best program going if you're serious about becoming a software engineer...

• Joshua Satterfield • Student

Currently,  there are only a few bootcamps located in Los Angeles. I have attended  meetups and online questionnaires at a few of them e.g MakerSquare,  General Assembly, and Codesmith. My favorite of all is Codesmith for the following reasons...

BTW, if you don't want to read this article, you can watch a video summary below...  :)

For those of you who don’t know about Codesmith, it’s a 12 week immersive Software Engineering program teaching Computer ScienceFull Stack JavaScript Engineering and mobile development.

They   also teach you how to think like an engineer, and give you that  mindset  so that you can invent and build the projects that you want to.

There are 3 key components that adhere to Codesmith. They are CommunityCurriculum, and Passion.   Now these aren’t necessarily mantras of Codesmith themselves, rather   what I have noticed in attendance of their meetups, and this is one of   the reasons that I am fascinated by being there and around that energy.   Which in turn, leads me to the first component...

Community:
    Talking of energyIt’s   probably safe to say that it is highly unfathomable to know what it   must have been like being around in the beginning of Apple, or  Facebook,  or any other major company that started similarly, but the  feeling that  I get being around Codesmith is what I would imagine that  experience to  be.

1. The people! Everyone is so nice and welcoming. They make you really feel like you are a part of the family.
    2. The Instructors! The CTO Will Sentance and Lead Engineer Alex Zai are probably two of   the most brilliant gentlemen that I have had the pleasure to meet. Not   only are they entirely genuine and remarkable, but they are   revolutionizing the Software Education Industry along with the Tech   Industry. Aside from Codesmith, they have also developed some  extremely,  amazing things. One of those is Icecomm. Icecomm is an  WebRTC based,  Peer to Peer feature that allows you to add serverless  video chat and  data transfer to your application in, I believe under 10  lines of  JavaScript and 4 lines of Angular. How great is that? Now to  go a step  further, they are going to open source it, so that in itself  speaks to  their wonderful character. If I could pick their brains all  day I would.  haha
    3. The Environment! The building is like a spaceship. It’s really cool! When you get off  of  the elevator you are met by these multicolored, fluorescent lights  that  resemble something from the future. The whole area is one large  circle  with several nooks and cranny’s for you to explore. The views  are also  great. There are balconies with a panoramic view of water and a  large  portion of Silicon Beach.

This   is one of the things that sets Codesmith apart from everyone else in   the software education realm. Also what places them at the forefront of   technology because they are using what is now on the forefront of   technology. The core of their Front-End curriculum is with React.js. WHAT???

1. React.js ! If you don’t know what React.js is, React is an open-source JavaScript   library for creating user interfaces that aims to address challenges   encountered in developing single-page applications. (or simply put, “The Future of interwebs development” ;) “
    2. React Native! React Native enables you to build world-class application experiences   on native platforms using a consistent developer experience based on   JavaScript andReact. The focus of React Native is on developer   efficiency across all the platforms you care about — learn once, write   anywhere. Facebook uses React Native in multiple production apps and   will continue investing in React Native.
    3. Distributed Systems and Some Machine Learning! Seriously,   it couldn’t be better. These are the things that are powering the   technology around us all today, including, but not limited to Gmail,   iCloud and Google knowing what you want to search before you finish   typing. No one is teaching these things in any bootcamp or program   currently.

Here is a photo of the curriculum for a more in depth view:

Passion

One   of the most important features of Codesmith and everyone there is that   they are endlessly passionate about what they are doing. It’s highly   evident in everything that they do. They actually want to help everyone   bring their dreams to fruition, to build the projects and companies  that  they envision, and change the world for the better. This fact is   something that I cannot stress enough. I only mention this because I   have been to some of the meetups at other places like MakerSquare and I   cannot say the same things. I really can’t even say anything remotely   close, and I don’t want to go into a barrage of Makersquare or anything   like that. This was simply my experience and mine alone, but it was   quite uncomfortable. When I walked in everyone just kind of had an   attitude and they weren’t welcoming. Everything seemed fabricated. You   could tell that at the end of the day this place is just a business and   they seem to only care about one thing: money. That is not an   environment that I welcome, nor should anyone else. With Codesmith it’s   different, not just for the aforementioned reasons alone, but also I  am  beyond enamored with the devotion of everyone involved.  It’s a  really  special place and I suggest that everyone experience it for  themselves.

Build With Code

You   may ask, “how can I experience it without going to the program?” Well,   I’ll tell you! Every Thursday from 6:30 - 9:00 pm Codesmith offers a   free Meetup called Build With Code. I can’t emphasis enough how great   this place is and especially the Meetups. Who doesn’t like free drinks?   Who doesn’t like free food? Not only do they offer those things, but  you  are able to build cool things and learn about programming in   JavaScript. We’ve built a video chat app. A YouTube app and currently  we  are learning about the hard parts of Javascript, which for anyone   trying to get into a bootcamp is essential. Last week it was Callbacks   & Higher Order Functions.

The   way that it works is, in the beginning you go around and introduce   yourself, then tell everyone a little about you, what you’ve been   building (if anything) and what your interest in JavaScript is.   Subsequently the instructor Will goes into a lecture with slideshows  and  breaks down everything to first principles, which if you are a fan  of  Elon Musk (I am) means that that is how you get the job done.   Will’s  teaching methods (Socratic, I believe) are fantastic. He makes   everything so clear and concise that the light inside your mind goes  off  and you finally understand what it is that you have been making so   complicated. You see the solution simplified… Especially in dealing  with  two of the most misunderstood objects (no pun intended) in  JavaScript.
    After  the lecture, you  are split up to pair program. I know you may be  thinking... "I don’t  want to pair program! I won't go just because of  that," but It really  is great! Not only can you possibly make a new  friend, but you also get  the chance to see how other people think, and  how they arrive at a  solution. That is invaluable in itself because it  can help you approach  a problem differently one day. When you are pair  programming the EIR’s  (Engineers in Residence) come in and walk around  to offer their  assistance to anyone if they get stuck and also to answer  any other  questions you may have. These guys are really great. Super  friendly and  helpful. Will then wraps up with a summary to help solidify  all that  you have learned and then you can wander around the  facilities, grab  some drinks and food, and hang out and talk with  everyone there. If you  don’t want to do any of that, you don’t have to,  but I can’t recommend  that you should enough.

I   hope that I am able to clear a few things up for anyone, and if not  you  can message me or get in touch and I will gladly answer any  questions  about my experience. If I can’t answer those questions Joseph  at  Codesmith is also a really great guy and he will be glad to help  you.  Below are some links to where you can find information on the  topics I  covered here in the postings...

• Love it!
    - 8/3/2015

It's tough for me to write this because it almost sounds contrived, but I love Codesmith most because, it's become my home.

I am currently enrolled in Codesmith's 12-week immersive program.  We have just finished week 4 and I am excited to get started on the project portion in just 2 more short weeks.  I can't say enough good things about this place.  The community is the kind where we spend Sunday together even though it's not part of the program.  The people are amazing, passionate and incredibly smart.  I haven't felt this happy, excited and welcomed in years.

So far we have learned: HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, React, Node, Angular and MongoDB.  We also learned a bunch of ancillary things like Express, Mongoose, Bootstrap, Ajax, etc., but those aren't really concepts so much as tools you learn how to use when you need them.

It's tough to recognize the progress you're making while immersed in the program because you're comparing where you are today to where you were yesterday.  Fortunately, every now and then you get a reminder of just how far you've come.  The most recent moment for me was just after presenting my first full-stack project when a student in the junior cohort asked me to help him with understanding hash functions.

Before entering codesmith I was barely understanding closures and callbacks and I didn't even know what a hash function was or what it could be used for.  Now I'm deploying a full stack application to Heroku and using a hash function in conjunction with a database to implement my own authentication!  It's an amazing feeling!

In short, I love this place. I'm learning a ton and If you're serious about becoming a full-stack engineer, apply today!

A deeper dive on the experience here:

Things I love about the program:

Community

The community here is amazing.  Everybody is super friendly, hard-working and always willing to help you understand a concept.

The instructors here are top notch.  Will Sentance, the CTO teaches a bunch of the tough concept lectures.  I don't know if it's his british accent or friendly demeanor, but I find him incredibly easy to learn from.  Even with my ADD, he keeps my attention and his explanations are really really clear.

The pace I'm learning

When you start the course there is a large disparity in the knowledge between students with a computer science background and those without.  Coming from economics and business, I was really far behind!  After the first few weeks, however, the disparity is much smaller and you start learning things like React and Angular - topics that nobody has seen yet.  Although I don't expect to understand computer science theory as well as some of my fellow students, I'm just as good as them at building apps!

Thursday night happy hours

This is an incredibly hard program.  Everybody here is really driven to succeed.  People stay late every night to finish their projects or study up on concepts they're struggling with, but on Thursday nights we party... It's awesome.

Things I get frustrated with:

Workload is very heavy

I understand why the workload is so heavy.  We're going from 20% to a full-stack engineer in twelve weeks.  There really isn't an easy way to do this.

Hours are really long

We work 12 hours a day, minimum.  My typical day starts at 8:55 AM and ends around 10 PM.  Again, I understand this is necessary, but I do miss free time.

Things I have a love-hate relationship with:

Pair Programming

If you haven't pair programmed yet, you should.  Find a friend who is about the same level of programming as you and pair!  There is more to it than this, but essentially you don't touch the keyboard ("navigator") and they take directions from you ("driver").  After twenty minutes, switch roles.  This is likely going to be an incredibly frustrating experience for both parties.  However, it is absolutely the best way to accelerate your learning.  I love learning quickly, but in the moment I get frustrated because I just want the answer!

The Socratic method of teaching

The Socratic method of teaching essentially boils down to this: the instructor does not give answers they just ask you questions to guide you to the right answer.  This is super effective because it forces you to make the connection yourself.  Pretty much all law schools teach this way as well as Harvard, Darden, and Tuck Business Schools.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

Switching careers (or starting one) is scary. Switching into tech? Even scarier. The reality is that anyone can do it with enough determination and grit; however, most people lack the resources, fundamentals and community support to build the confidence needed to take the right step to changing their life. Codesmith is able to provide all of these things, but it does come at a cost. You will be challenged a lot and pushed to your limits, both mentally and emotionally. For three months, you'll find yourself sprinting head first into massive walls, but somehow still find yourself coming out on the other side (with bumps and bruises). This might seem a little crazy, but there's a method to this madness, and the method works. I know because I experienced it first hand and had the privilege of watching so many people struggle, grow and eventually turn their distant dreams into tangible realities, including myself.

Go to Codesmith. Endure the suck and trust the process. You won't regret it.

• Anonymous • Senior Software Engineer • Graduate

I wrote my first line of code in March 2019. I was offered a role as a Senior Software Engineer at a leading FinTech company in October 2019.
    Some may say BS but it's hard to explain this to someone that hasn't gone through Codesmith's Immersive Software Engineering Program. To sum up the how the program works in a real life example, quoted by Phillip Troutman (executive instructor at NYC), "Here's a car, go build a carburetor."
    How is that possible? That's where you become a mature engineer.
    The amazing community and culture is just the cherry on top. If you want to change your life, try to get into Codesmith...if you can!

I attended Codesmith's software engineering immersive from July to October. I began to teach myself how to code over a year ago, and decided I needed to be surrounded by like-minded individuals who are eager to plan and build applications and tools.

I had been accepted to Flatiron, Fullstack Academy and Codesmith - it was an easy decision to go with Codesmith, as I got to meet so many prospective students and staff before the program even started, and felt like I could grow as an engineer. And there was a sense of community, whereas the other two lacked such structure.

This isn't for those looking to make a quick way into software engineering - the units are intense, you'll be learning a new technology every other day. Coming from a non-technical background, I had to work harder to make sure I wasn't falling behind on units. I would spend 9am till 9pm on campus and when I'd get home at around 10pm, I'd either review the units, read documentation, build test apps until 1am. This cycle continued on for three months, and yes it's definitely challenging!

More importantly, I got to meet so many wonderful people from diverse backgrounds, which contributed to forever-learning environment at Codesmith. The staff members are also super supportive, and when I was going through difficult periods while job searching, they were always there for me, pushing me to do better.

Codesmith's program definitely works, that it has shaped my mind in a way that I can read any docs, tackle problems on my own, and collaborate to provide optimal results.

The grind doesn't stop after graduating from the three-month program. With its excellent hiring support, I was constantly receiving feedback as well as mock interview rounds to prep me for real interviews. I came from no computer science degree, nor worked in tech (I did marketing prior) and still ended up with a six-figure salary offer within a month of graduating.

Each outcome varies, but it shows that if you put all your effort into the process and make the most of it, anything is possible.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

Joining Codesmith was without a doubt the best decision I've ever made. The amount of growth I had and encountered in such a welcoming environment was absolutely unheard of. The course is by far harder than most things I've ever done but equally more rewarding than anything I've ever done as well.

The greatest pros of Codesmith are:
    1. Culture - the Codesmith culture is the most welcoming, supportive culture I've ever been a part of and I continue to keep up with current students, staff, and alum! Thursday nights alum gather to mingle and catch up at the facility and one night there was a representative from 10 of the 12 established cohorts - the community is incredibly close-knit.
    2. No Hand-Holding  => You will learn how to learn - you will without a doubt struggle at Codesmith, but in the best way possible. The difference between my previous self and me now is insane and I credit the encouragement of learning on your own/with your partner/with your team. Learning how to learn will be the most valuable asset moving forward because the tech world is constantly evolving and the learning never stops. Deciphering how to pick up new tech is paramount to being a software engineer and Codesmith trains you for your future.
    3. Job Support - Between all the instructors and staff and Eric Kirsten there is no possible way not to succeed in finding a job. The process is incredibly thorough and the support lives on well beyond what anyone would expect. There is comprehensive support (resume, online profiles, mock interviews, morale boosts) was so much more than I ever could have hoped for and I'm happy to report receiving 4 different offers by trusting in the process and working hard.
    *I've only listed 3 pros but I could go on for days

Cons:
    The space could be a few square feet larger.
    (There aren't any cons)

I came to Codesmith with many years in the tech industry in order to re-sharpen my coding skills and gain knowledge of a modern JavaScript based tech stack. From day one the experience exceeded my already high expectations. The lecture schedule/materials and delivery are a high quality product - but the people that surround you are the real differentiator - you are surrounded by amazing individuals with both a genuine ability and desire to help you succeed. Hiring support is exemplary and I feel I have been given valuable tools to help me get the kind of job I want. On the technical front - Codesmith understands that you need to take on a challenge and just build something rather than relying on a hand holding approach. Being at Codesmith mirrors what real work in the field feels like and as a result it develops real engineers as graduates. Amongst other things - I personally I built multiple React/Redux frontends, had the freedom to explore more exotic technologies such as graph databases, and built a tool to help examine the resiliency of GraphQL end points in distributed systems, while at the same time being able to be inspired by the creativity and work of other classmate's ideas and around me. Codesmith has huge personality and creates a collaborative environment for all. 100% recommend

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.

We continue to be impressed by our grads as the majority (68%) accept offers of over $110k, ranking Codesmith LA the highest median starting salary for CIRR-member programs.

For transparency, here is the breakdown of our graduates earning over $110k from 7/01/2018 - 12/31/2018:
  • $110-120k: 17.9%