codesmith-logo

Codesmith

Los Angeles, New York City, New York City, Online

Codesmith

Codesmith offers a full-time, 12-week full stack software engineering bootcamp in Los Angeles and New York City. Codesmith is a selective, need-blind program focusing largely on computer science and full-stack JavaScript, with an emphasis on technologies like React, Redux, Node, build tools, Dev Ops and machine learning. This program enables Codesmith students (known as Residents) to build open-source projects, with the aim of moving into positions as skilled software engineers. Codesmith Residents become engineers, not technicians, through a deep understanding of advanced JavaScript practices, fundamental computer science concepts (such as algorithms and data structures), and object-oriented and functional programming. Codesmith helps residents develop strong problem-solving abilities and technical communication skills – valued capacities in a software engineer.

The Codesmith admissions process involves a written application with optional coding questions, a nontechnical interview, and a technical interview. Codesmith offers a number of free resources for preparing for the admissions process including in-person and online coding workshops, a 2-week online prep course (CS Prep), and an online JavaScript learning platform (CSX).

Codesmith offers an extensive hiring support program that guides Residents through whiteboarding, advanced technical interview practice, resume and profile development, and interview and networking strategies. Support continues upon graduation with bi-weekly check-ins and, after offers, negotiation support. Overall, 25% of graduates receive offers for Senior Engineer positions and above, and about 70% receive offers for Mid-level Engineer roles.

Recent Codesmith Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (314) reviews for Codesmith →

Recent Codesmith News

Read all (20) articles about Codesmith →
  • CS Prep

JavaScript, jQuery, Algorithms, Front End
    Start Date December 9, 2019
    CS Prep is a structured program that teaches core JavaScript concepts and engineering best practices. CS Prep will help you develop a deep, yet intuitive understanding of JavaScript and prepare you for your Codesmith technical interview or for interviews for other software engineering roles. CS Prep is a 2-week remote course that includes live online instruction, daily problem-solving workshops, office hours with engineering mentors, and extensive technical interview practice.
    DepositNo deposit
    We offer tuition payment plans and many scholarships for the course. The tuition you pay for CS Prep will roll over to the Software Engineering Immersive tuition.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case by case payment plans, please reach out to csprep@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeIf you pass the CS Prep assessment you are guaranteed a technical interview with our full time Codesmith Program. Refunds for the course are available and distributed on a case by case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to CS Prep, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelSuitable for beginners who are ready to level up to intermediate and advanced material.
    Prep WorkWe recommend some familiarity with the content in the Precourse Unit on CSX - our free online learning platform - https://csx.codesmith.io/.
    December 9, 2019 - Online Apply by November 25, 2019
  • JavaScript for Beginners

JavaScript
    Start Date November 30, 2019
    JavaScript for Beginners is a 12-hour, remote program consisting of two consecutive Saturday sessions. The program is designed for those with no previous coding experience and will teach JavaScript fundamentals and how coding works. The program offers students a launching point to continue their JavaScript studies, prepare for our more advanced programs, and build a future in software engineering.
    DepositNo Deposit
    This course has scholarships available, and the tuition you pay for JavaScript for Beginners rolls over and can be applied towards the tuition of our more advanced programs.
    Tuition PlansWe offer case-by-case payment plans, please reach out to jsforbeginners@codesmith.io with questions!
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds for the course are available and distributed on a case-by-case basis.
    ScholarshipWe offer multiple scholarships to JavaScript for Beginners, with many students paying no tuition at all. You can apply for the women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarship, or minorities in tech scholarship.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is designed for those with no coding experience!
    Prep WorkWe recommend completing Part 1 of the Precourse on CSX, our free online learning platform, before you start the course: https://csx.codesmith.io/units/precourse
    November 30, 2019 - Online Apply by November 25, 2019
  • Software Engineering Immersive Program

Start Date November 25, 2019
    LocationNew York City, Los Angeles
    The Codesmith program teaches computer science, full-stack JavaScript (notably React and Node), software architecture, Dev Ops, and machine learning, preparing graduates for mid to senior engineering positions. The course also features preparatory material, extensive hiring preparation, and ongoing support with students’ job searches.
    We have financing partnerships available as well as case by case payment plans! Please email hello@codesmith.io with questions.
    Refund / GuaranteeRefunds are distributed on a case by case basis but are available.
    ScholarshipCodesmith offers 4 types of scholarships -those to students underrepresented in the technology community, women in software engineering scholarship, Dean's scholarships, as well as scholarships to prior bootcamp grads.
    Minimum Skill LevelPrior computer science and programming skills necessary - many applicants are self taught through our free weekly JS workshops/online prep course.
    Prep Work4 weeks
    November 25, 2019 - Los Angeles Apply by November 25, 2019
    December 16, 2019 - New York City Apply by December 16, 2019

• Tom • Software Engineer

This course teaches the most fundamental principles of JavaScript that any aspiring engineer or seasoned veteran should know.  It is done via three 2 hour workshops.  It also helps prepare junior developers for CodeSmith's Residency program (not a bootcamp).

There is tremendous value in the course material and pair programming excersizes - you'll learn what goes on under the hood of JavaScript and learn techniques for just-in-time learning (a necessity of our industry).

But the real impact is felt through the passion and genious of the instructor himself - his style ensures the information will stick and is well understood, and you feel as if you are going down this new road together with him.  You leave the workshops feeling like you want more.

I've attended each several times. Despite having been a software engineer for over a decade, I still learn something new on every visit.

• Curtis • Graduate

Are you stuck in a career that you aren't passionate about? Are you thinking about making a career change? Are you skeptical that a 12-week immersive coding bootcamp can transform you into a software engineer that is capable of being hired after graduation? Well, until I made the best decision of my life by attending Codesmith, so was I.

I had no prior experience in Computer Science aside from a basic computer class in high school. I even failed my first interview at Codesmith after studying my butt off for several months. But my determination went a long way. I cut nearly everything out of my life (would take time to stay physically fit by going to the gym, which I highly recommend after gruling programming sessions) to focus on my career change. I knew these sacrifices needed to happen in order for me to succeed.

If you are considering to do it, be fully ready to live and breathe Codesmith for the duration of the program. If you do not fully commit, you will not succeed. I am living proof that, as long as you give it everything you got and don't look back, anyone with no expereince in the field can come out of Codesmith with hirable professional programming skills. After graduating and accepting an offer at the current company I'm at, I doubts that I wasn't smart or knowledgeable enough to pick up new technologies and/or be able to keep up with the demands of the job. To my surprise, that was not the case. Codesmith does a great job of training students to be able to go into any environment and find solutions.

My time at Codesmith was very enjoyable. They do a good job of screening prospective students during interviews, which is why the Codesmith community is so awesome. Everyone is enthusiastic and excited to be there. Engineering fellows are extremely helpful for students. Intructors are top notch.

Codesmith provides all the tools necessary for your success. Even after your graduation, you are able to seek guidance on things such as salary negotiations and referrals for new opportunities.

Overall, this is an outstanding program and I am very happy and satisfied that I went through with it!

• Steven Meads • Software Engineer • Graduate

Prior to Codesmith, I was enrolled in an online program. While the online program was a great start towards accomplishing my goal of becoming a software engineer, the program was missing something. After several months of the online program, I discovered Codesmith through one of their meetups, Build With Code. I immediately realized what I was missing was a community of like-minded software engineers. Long story short, I dropped out of the online program, prepared myself to get into Codesmith, and got accepted.

Codesmith isn't just a program that produces graduates every 12 weeks. Codesmith is a team of the most dedicated individuals whose first and foremost responsibility is to support its students, and ensure each student is successful and becomes a leader in software engineering. I personally have benefited from their support and commitment.

Additionally, the culture Codesmith has cultivated makes it an ideal learning environment. Within minutes you become part of a family and everyone is devoted to helping each other become the best software engineers possible. Not to mention, the curriculum is extremely challenging and increases your capabilities exponentially truly preparing you to be a leader in software engineering.

• Star • Student

Wow! Did I get my butt kicked. I went into Framework not knowing absolutely anything....so green...so unbelievably green. And I have to say this was sooo challenging for me. I had one week to do the precourse work and then I dove head first into Javascript in Framework.

For 4 weeks I went through the course pretty behind compared to everyone else... The course moves fast. But I never felt so inspired at the same time in my "not knowing".  And both instructors Tiffany and Isaac were so knowledgeable and warm, they really made me feel ok that I was struggling and kept me inspired to give it my all.

What I recommend for anyone considering this course is to really get your head around the prework they assign. Focus in on Javascript....I made the mistake of only having one week and just focusing on the HTML and CSS aspect of the precourse during that week. This course challenges you on your knowledge of the Javascript precourse information and moves at a higher thinking level than your normal fill in the blanks and hold your hand Codeacademy exercises.  I believe if you have a good grasp on the Codeacademy and Codeschool Javascript precourse material, you will really step up your whole game with Framework.

What's so crazy is that before Framework - I was just flirting with the idea of coding and had no direction. Here I am 2 weeks out of my framework so a total of 7 weeks of coding overall and I have such direction and am working on a web application using the same structure I was taught in Framework. It's hard to believe what can be learned in 1 month. I really do miss the community of class. I feel like I have a new coding family. It is so much better than learning to code on your own in my opinion.

THUMBS UP!!!!!!! DO IT! AND DO THE PRECOURSE JAVASCRIPT to really get the most out of this course!!

• George Norberg • Technical Lead • Graduate

Codesmith is hands down the best software engineering immersive program around. Do some research and you'll quickly find that only a handful of these coding immersives are legit -- Codesmith is one of them. The quality of students is astounding, as seen in their projects reaching thousands of Github stars and being featured at Google I/O. It also has the best outcomes salary-wise compared to its competitors given that LA cost of living is far less expensive than SF and NY.

I came in as a product manager and walked out a software engineer. I gained all the skills and technical understanding that I was looking for, met incredible people from all walks of life, and joined a warm community of empathic and talented engineers.

Whether you are a software engineer looking to enhance your technical communication and skill set or a self-taught programmer interested in picking up the latest industry technologies, Codesmith should be the program that you aspire to.

• Jamin • Software Engineer • Graduate

Codesmith is an amazing community of passionate, like-minded, software engineers.  Kudos to Will, the visionary leader, who is orchestrating this life changing movement in the Los Angeles and now New York area.  JS the Hard Parts Prep is a another example of the Codesmith organization giving back and creating opportunity for those aspiring to grow more in this field or considering coding bootcamp.

I have been a part of the Codesmith community a little over a year and a half now.  Looking back my growth has been incredible.  As a student, with the beginners mind, I have immersed my self in the coding bootcamp world despite having education in Computer Science.  The first thing I noticed attending JS the Hard Parts was the amount of passion in the room.  It is the perfect environment to meet other like-minded engineers who are passionate about learning. Will is an superb teacher with in depth knowledge of JavaScript and Software Engineering. The combination of attending JS the Hard Parts and being around other Engineers definitely heightened my understanding of JavaScript in a short amount of time!

In addition, to completing my Masters of Science in Software Engineering last month, I decided to attend Framework also just to polish up my skills, learn more, and be job ready.  I was not disappointed.  Daniel and Issac provided stellar teaching throughout the course.  They really went in detail, under the hood, of many relevant front-end technologies.  I also met many great people in the course.  Over the length of 4 weeks, there was a real sense of community.  Through pair programming, building cool projects, presentations, and applying world class software engineering principles, Framework was a source of great value.

Everyone has a different journey.  JS the Hard Parts really took my understanding to a new level.  Framework served as a great environment to better prepare me for the workforce and sharpen my skills.  Combining the two provides you with a solid foundation to pursue coding bootcamp or even get a job as a junior software engineer.  As a passionate, driven, software engineer, my journey does not end here, but it is only a step further.  Maybe you just want to level up, bring an idea to reality, gain deeper understanding for bootcamp, meet other cool people, or be more effective on your job.  Whatever the reason, I can personally say, JS the Hard Parts is the best place to start and  will add value, skills, and useful tools to your plate.  Thank you again Will and the Codesmith community and keep making impact one engineer at a time!

• Vinnie King • Software Engineer • Graduate

Codesmith was pretty great and I now I am a Software Engineer that can build mostly anything web related that I can think of. One of the main benifits are the people, like everyone else says. They are really sharp and usually really kind. Naturally, learning from these people around you makes you sharper and makes coding for 14 hours per day alot easier.

The focus on new Javascript frameworks is really important since basically every front end role out there loves React and Angular experieince.

It was great that we had speakers come in and we became part of the community.

The production project is great becuase the team makes you pick a project that is challenging enough to impress employers.

Codesmith really makes you a strong problem solver. Many times now when an employer asks me to do something, I won't really know but I feel like I can just figure it out by reading the docs.

They place a TON of emphasis on strong JS fundamentals and making you a great programmer, so that was good.

Hiring prep is great too and has helped me get through to lots of companies. Post CS support is nice too since Eric helps you negotiate.

There are some cons too. Sometimes it felt a little too hands off, like we didnt learn best practices because we were supposed to teach ourselves. So often times, we felt like we were in the dark learning things.

Parking when you are a junior, SUCKS. Sometimes it would take me 20 minutes to find a spot.

Hiring day is way awesome since companies come to you. One person in our cohot got a job offer on hiring day.

• Anto Afarian • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate

Hello all,

My name is Anto Afarian, and I'm very happy with my Codesmith experience. I loved meeting other Software Engineers and building projects! These are some of the experiences I had throughout the course that I thought were worth mentioning:

• Algorithm challenges- We did so many algorithm challenges that solving them became more of a puzzle or activity than something that would intimidate you. Once you see enough of them, there are patterns that you will recognize and act accordingly.
    • Working with modern technologies- Our projects were built using Angular, React, Javascript, Node, Express, and many different types of databases. We made our own choices for tech stack, but were encouraged to build full stack applications.
    • Working in teams- One of the most helpful things as a growing Software Engineer is having experience working in teams. This means not only do you figure out how to sort out problems and make decisions, but also keep your code clean so your teammates can use it/read it.
    • Comaraderie- Everyone at Codesmith looks out for each other. There were times where a team was not finished with their own project and it was 1 am, but they would go and help another struggling team before even completing their own project. Thursday nights are a lot of fun (Codesmith Drinks Night after the Javascript meetup, open to everyone!), and staying there from 9 am to around midnight 6 nights a week really helps you get to know the people that you're hanging out with!

After Codesmith, I felt a lot more confident jumping back into the job search. I had some high impact interviews, did well on most coding challenges, and felt like I had high value. Confidence was one of my biggest issues after my college degree, and I'm very happy that those days are long gone. I have recently accepted a six figure offer and Codesmith was there every step of the way. They were very supportive and always asked for updates on how my interviews were going, and what I was struggling with, even after I had graduated. Definitely would recommend Codesmith to any future Software Engineers!

• Mike M • Software Engineer • Graduate

Codesmith was a life changer for me. You will be exposed to the most in-demand technologies out there but you will not be hand-held. If you want to be a high level professional in 3 months you should expect to put in some work.

What Codesmith offers is a system to help you rapidly approach your potential in this field. It’s intense but there is so much information that you need to have a grasp of. A very valuable thing you will learn here is programming fundamentals, principles that will help you succeed regardless of what frameworks or stacks you are working with.

You will also be (rigorously) prepared for the job search (mock interviews, white boarding, salary negotiation, etc). The end of the program is marked by a hiring day where you get interviews with several prospective employers and possibly get an offer right out of the program.

I would do this again in a heartbeat. It’s a true investment in yourself and well worth the short-term sacrifice. You will meet some incredible people and the instruction is top notch. 100% recommended

• Kyle • Software Engineer • Graduate

Codesmith is truly a transformative experience. Prior to Codesmith I didn't have a technical background or any prior tech experience, and was looking for a career change. I began to assess all my options available to make the switch to a new career in tech. There were the numerous for-profit trade/career colleges, most of which seem great at first, but then as you dig deeper are very gimmicky, poor quality, and most are extremely expensive. Of course there's the traditional route of going to a community college & a state school or university, but being in my mid twenties, the extended time it takes to complete a degree, plus the limited career help and lack of modern in demand technologies, was not an investment I was willing to start. I decided I would continue working and self-studying in my free time with ambitions of making the switch on my own. The amount of resource online these days is amazing but starting out it can be very daunting. Without any prior programming experience, knowing what to look for, what to learn, and the quality of what you were learning was rough and a very slow process.

After a few months of learning html, css and the fundamentals of javascript, I wanted to speed up my learning and level up. I didn't want to continue this way on my own and began to look for Meetups to attend and learn with others. Through attending multiple Meetups is how I discovered coding bootcamps! It was awesome, and I felt energized and excited at this new approach to learning. I looked into all the Los Angeles bootcamps and I recommend you do the same to find what would fit you best. I went to many Meetups but the one that stood out the most was Codesmith's free Javascript the Hard Parts meetup offered every Thursday. You get a glimpse into the Codesmith mentality and community and is a perfect opportunity to see for yourself what Codesmith is all about firsthand.

The reason I favored Codesmith over the others was that it was clear it wasn't another coding bootcamp. Codesmith is an immersive residency and has 3 core values that sets it apart. Complete dedication to every student, an autonomous and deep understanding for learning, and a devotation for the community. Community is such a huge aspect of Codesmith and one of the many things I loved most about Codesmith. Codesmith hosts and sponsors many weekly and monthly events, is always looking to give back to the tech community in LA and beyond, and is an extremely diverse and inclusive space. Plus the alumni support is great and very connected, and they even have multiple times throughout the program when alumni comeback and share their stories of life during and after Codesmith.

The team and staff are amazing. Everyone is extremely nice, thoughtful and there to help you succeed. I felt comfortable sharing and expressing any concerns or feelings throughout the program. The curriculum is top-notch and well rounded. It still amazes me the amount of content I learned in a short amount of time. Spending six days a week and more then eleven hours a day onsite, it becomes more then just a program or school, you become a tight knit family with your classmates, the staff and the other cohort. Everyone is there with the mindset to help one another, and so should be your mindset going in.

With all that said, Codesmith is intense. It is challenging, tough, inspiring, motivating, and rewarding. Codesmith is an extremely fast-paced fully immersive program and is very demanding. Best way to succeed is to fully dedicate yourself for 3 months and make the tough sacrifices necessary to give your all during the program. This is truly one of those kind of experience when "the more you put into it, is the more you will get out of it". Take full advantage of everything offered, your classmates, the instructors, the staff, the connections, the networking, the events and will be amazed at how far you've made it.

Your journey doesn't stop either after program. It is key you keep the same intensity going during the job search phase. A wonderful standout experience at Codesmith is the hiring day event. It provides such an awesome space to meet companies to network and jump start your hiring process. It is vital to stay in touch with the staff at Codesmith during your job search for endless amounts of support and guidance they provide to help you improve your interviewing and networking skills.

If your looking for an experience that offers top-tier challenges & curriculum, a thriving community, and a location that is in the heart of it all and only a few miles from the beach, you'll find it and more with Codesmith.

• Michael • Software Developer • Graduate

I went to Codesmith from August to October of 2016. Honestly, it was the best decision I ever made. Not only was I able to get the skills I needed to become a professional software developer, but I was able to meet some of the most intelligent, humble and interesting people. In addition to your fellow students being magnificent, the staff at Codesmith is always happy to help you out with whatever you need, be it emotional or intellectual support.

If your goal is to find a bootcamp that will help you learn the skills you need to be a web developer, look no further. There isn't a better option out there.

• Shahrod • Graduate

First I will mention what convinced me of Codesmith over any other bootcamp in LA -- I watched Will Sentance give a free talk called Javascript the Hard Parts and hung around afterward to chat with students in the program. You will get to see a glimpse of how Codesmith instruction works, the supportive community, and also get to tour the beautiful space. I promise you will not have to read another review after experiencing it for yourself, but here are my thoughts:

A few weeks out from completing Codesmith, I've fully realized the impact this program had on my life, and I want to share with those who may find themselves in a similar posotion. Before attending, I had a B.S. in Electrical engineering, some programming experience from undergrad/codeacademy/etc, but no projects built to demonstrate my skills. I had been struggling for over a year to land any kind of software development position. My resume was rife with the rookie mistakes many make -- too vague descriptions, not technically challenging, no underlying story marketing myself as a software engineer. My interview skills were weak, I would lack confidence in my answers and be lost for words when salary negotiations came up. Furthermore, my answers to the technical interview questions were often just wrong!

This all changed thanks to Codesmith and I'm happy to report I'm currently in negotiations for software developer positions at two companies which came to our hiring day! Codesmith will teach you the technical and career development skills you need, plus support you throughout the hiring process.

This is probably all the review you're looking for, but read on for more details :)

The most unique things about Codesmith are the tight knit, brilliant Community and the proven Pedagogy. Your cohortmates will absoutely become your family. You spend many hours solving problems and supporting eachother through demanding challenges. Of course we work hard, and we also play hard! Thursday nights are a chance to socialize and let loose -- really any time is good to challenge someone to a ping pong or Magic the Gathering match. It's a lot of fun being there, I miss it!

The pedagogy takes you through basic software engineering skills all the way up through react/redux workflows and advanced git. The steps are mostly the same throughout -- get a high-level overview of the topic from an expert lecturer, then struggle to build something with that new skill. This is highly effective!

I hope this helps you make the right decision for your future as a software engineer.

• Will Galebach • Application Developer • Graduate
    Codesmith does exactly what it promises. At the end of this course you can get a role as a mid or senior level engineer/Web developer. I came in to this program with limited coding experience, consisting solely of learning on my own. This course massively improved my understanding and coding skills.
  • Jon • Graduate

I am a recent Codesmith graduate and soon I will begin work there as a fellow. The curriculum is fast-paced, thoughtfully constructed, and relevant to the current job market. The instructors are experienced, eloquent communicators who routinely go above and beyond their duties. The same can be said of the rest of the staff as well. I remember visiting Codesmith as a recent applicant and asking for help setting up a linter for my code editor (exciting!) The lead instructor had just finished a meeting and was packing his things to go home for the evening but agreed to stay late to sit with me and figure out my issue. What sets Codesmith apart, and what has inspired me to stay, is this type of commitment within the community.

From the beginning of the application process there is a strong emphasis on the development of not only leading software engineers but leaders in general. This includes expectations that students, staff, and alumni look out for, support, and push one another, and the bonds that have formed as a result will remain strong long after my time at Codesmith has passed. It is amazing how we as a cohort went from a collection of individuals to one family in such a brief time. It may sound cliche but that is my most important takeaway from my time as a student at Codesmith -- I have a group of people I know I can always go to and who can always come to me for anything. That, and after more 16-hour days than I could keep track of, I am pretty sure I can do anything.  Oh, and I have the skills to land a mid to senior position at the leading tech companies in the world, as one cohort after another prove through their hard work and hiring results.

If you are dedicated to learning and willing to work with and support those around you I highly recommend reaching out to this community to get a taste of it for yourself. Check out JavaScript the Hard Parts, send an email with any questions you have, or just stop by the school and meet the current staff and students. Codesmith is demanding, but it is so worth it.

• Curt Toppel • Graduate

There are a lot of choices for people to learn to code, and choosing the right one can be very difficult. It was only 3 months ago that I too was looking on how to improve my coding skills and spent hours doing due diligence. I cannot speak to the level of the other schools, but what I can say is that I was very happy with my decision to join Codesmith. When I first heard that Codesmith was not just another bootcamp, I just wrote it off, as I figured that is what each bootcamp said, but as I now have finished the program, I fully understand why Codesmith is much more than a bootcamp. The program is truly a fully immersive coding residency which accepts only the best and produces maximum results from those students. Coding however is only just the beginning of what Codesmith offers its students. The first half of the program focuses on rapidly expanding your knowledge of Javascript fundamentals as well as the introduction to numerous frameworks, libraries, and tools. The second half allows students to not only solidify what they have learned, but takes them far beyond with production products that have garnered notoriety worldwide. If this weren't enough, there are numerous workshops and lectures that prepare you for the real world and the job application process. Students from Codesmith are now in some of the top companies in the country, and this list is only growing. Although I am sure any readers of this review are thinking that it is possibly fake and just hype, I can assure you I am only a thankful graduate trying to give back to the program that helped give me an amazing skillset and gave me a network that seems more like family than anything else. Codesmith might not be for everyone, but it definitely was the right place for me.

• The best.
    - 4/9/2017
    Richard • Graduate

Codesmith was everything I had expected it to be and more. I was very worried at first because there weren't as many reviews for Codesmith as there were for other schools, but I really liked the modern frameworks that Codesmith was teaching. I decided to check out one of their weekly Meetups just to get a feel about what it's like and immediately, I knew that this school was for me. The school is super super fast paced and overwhelming, but I can say without a doubt that I became a better engineer because of it. The community was great and very supportive. The people that I've met at Codesmith will continue to be life long friends even after the program. I couldn't have asked for a better school to accelerate my growth. :)

• Dave • Software Engineer • Graduate

If you're motivated and want to break into tech as an engineer, Codesmith is an excellent option. My cohort finished in January, and two weeks later I had competing job offers with salaries and job responsibilities in line with those that Codesmith advertises.

As a qualifier, I did have some prior programming experience and studied a technical subject in school (zero web development or formal computer science, though). Nevertheless, there were others in my cohort with far less technical backgrounds who saw similar otucomes. It's been about 2 and 1/2 months now, and the majority of my cohort is hired. Still, I highly recommend learning as much as you can before Codesmith. If you come in with more knowledge, you'll probably find it easier to get a ton out of the experience.

Many of the other reviews have accurately covered aspects such as the staff's support and availability, the curriculum, the community, and the challenging time commitment -- I agree with everything that's been said there. In my opinion, there are two things Codesmith does that set it apart and allow for such good outcomes:

1) The program is rigorous and places a strong emphasis on fundamentals -- especially in javascript. 3 month bootcamps have to teach you practical skills, but Codesmith is able to strike a balance between teaching enough practical stuff for you to be useful, while going deeper into some more theoretical territory so that you can come away with a foundation for understanding why things work they way they do rather than just knowing "how to make a single page app."

2) They select people who genuinely enjoy learning and are drawn to the approach I mentioned in the above point. You can make a lot more progress faster if you're immersed in a group of people who are all motivated to learn, help each other out, and go explore "under the hood" (a phrase youll hear quite often there). Codesmith excels in putting together groups of people who willl push each other to improve.

If you're interested in technology and have thought about transitioning to engineerig, I highly recommend Codesmith.

• Anthony • Software Engineer • Graduate

I graduated from Codesmith's January cohort and I have to say that they really proved me wrong and I couldn't be happier. After doing research for months and talking to many software engineers, the concept of learning Javascript in 12 weeks and getting a six figure salary shortly thereafter was looking pretty unrealistic.

I decided to set my expectations accordingly and wasn't really expecting much more than an internship or Jr. position out of the program. Ecstatic to report however that I am making exactly what Codesmith promised at a cutting-edge startup in Los Angeles. Don't get me wrong, the hiring process is rough, really rough. Not even the Codesmith staff telling you it’s rough will prepare you for how rough it is, however they do a stellar job setting you in the right frame of mind to survive. My advice is to treat every single interview like a practice run, because it's the only way you can handle that level of confrontation and rejection. It took me 8 weeks of aggressive job search and 6 final round rejections before I got my dream offer.

Why Codesmith is the best in LA

I have to say that the community at Codesmith is unlike anything I've ever experienced. The staff is amazing, but your cohort mates are really what bring the program all together. Being surrounded by a community of people eager to learn and teach as much as they can is contagious and an incredibly effective way of taking a crash course in something. Its also nice that Codesmith is fairly small, because  you get direct access to job support, the CEO, technical leads, and technical mentors 24/7. All you have to do is approach them. This is immensely important and unique to Codesmith.

Last thing I want to say is that this review is coming from someone who was on the lower half of our cohort's technical aptitude. There were some really smart people in my cohort. Throughout your experience, you will hear success stories of former graduates. I remember thinking that I would never be one of those stories, because I wasn't as quick as everyone else, It took me 3 interviews to even be accepted into the program. Very happy with my experience at Codesmith and consider it to be one of the best decisions I’ve ever made :)

• Ahmad • Software Engineer • Graduate

Full Disclosure: I have a (rather old) Electrical Engineering Degree from USC, and have been dabbling in coding for a long time.  Prior to enrolling in Codesmith, I had been teaching myself with free? on-line courses for about a year and a half, with the goal of becoming a software engineer. I used codeacademy, cousera, nodeschool, and freecodecamp, and would highly recommend completing at least the freecodecamp front-end developer certification before applying to Codesmith.

Outcome: I got competing job offers about 6-weeks after graduation and ended up with a position that exceeded my expectations.

Environment

The energy and environs do a great job of getting one in the mindset of constant collaboration and explosive growth - it's about 75% start-up, with a small side of dorm life, and just a touch of actual boot-camp via the 70+ hour weeks (if you are the type to leave early, that is).  That said, the core team does a pretty consistently amazing job of doing their best to make everyone as comfortable as possible in what is necessarily a sometimes stressful and monotonous (those hours again) environment.

Be prepared to learn as much from your cohort-mates (and learn by teaching them) as you do from the instruction - not because the instruction is lacking in material, but because there is so much to be absorbed that you will find yourself creating your own mental models and comparing them to your peers on subjects that were covered in lecture, but you couldn't grok at the time.  This accelerated lecture-and-self-study format is very well-managed, which brings us to…

Pedagogy

The cirriculum is thoughtfully-designed, very well-executed, and constantly being iterated upon - and while the latter may lead to some speed-bumps in implementation (which a decent dev should be able to handle without missing a beat, anyway), the trade-off is familiarity with the absolute latest and greatest - or at least most-hyped and in-demand for hiring - javascript libraries, frameworks, and buildtools to make yourself useful in just about any modern stack.

As the main instructor, Dan is an amazing fusion of industry vet and natural-born teacher, easily on par with any CS professor I had at USC.  Even if you are already a Javascript developer, Dan will end up teaching you some new concepts, and he'll do a darn good job of making sure you get them.

In addition to the actual technical curriculum, the entire experience is impeccably crafted to provide the right nudges at the proper moments to catapult a particular kind of individual to heights they never thought possible.  The admissions process also seem to do an impressive job of screening for the 'right' kind of person that will benefit from the program in their admissions process, which is important, because your success will depend on the success of your cohort-mates.

Community

This is hands-down Codesmith's greatest asset.  Many of the alumni still come to visit and participate, and they are all now capable, empathetic engineers who provide a great example and relate-able stories to new devs.  The culture fostered by them, the fellows and LTMs, and the core team is one of unquestioned mutual support and desire to succeed - I honestly felt that everyone there believed in me and wanted to see me achieve my goals.

The real heroes at Codesmith are the core operations team for their ownership of the program and complete dedication to each and every member of every cohort.  If just about anything is wrong, Victoria can and will make it right.

The star of the show, finally, is Will, who performs countless acts of voodoo to make the whole thing happen.  These include a genuine, contagious belief in the mission which gives him the power to inspire almost on cue, a demonstrably super-human name recall ability, and a charmingly British fondness for giving memorable toasts when they are needed.  If he is offering you kool-aid, drink it. Every time.

• Mike B • Software Engineer • Graduate

Codesmith is a great place to advance your coding skills to the level of a mid/senior level developer. The staff does an excellent job of pushing students' problem solving skills while making sure you are kept abreast to the latest web technologies. The community built around the institution is really fantastic. There is no shortage of former students/mentors that you can go to with real world questions and insight into life as a coder; and it seems like the CEO still knows every student's name thats ever attended the program. I think one of Codesmith's major differentiators is the quality of their hiring program. They will not stop working with you until you are hired, it doesn't matter how many days/weeks/months ago your class ended. When you get accepted into Codesmith it's not just for 3 months, it's for a lifetime. The network of excellent, smart, driven people that you become a part of will no doubt be vital to you for years to come. As an alumni, you can always go to Codesmith to work on a project, get so advice from one of the staff, or just talk with other devs.

If you are serious about advancing your programming skills to a professional level, I definitely recommend taking a look at Codesmith.

• Michael Choa • Web Engineer • Student

Summary

• Moved from NY to LA to attend Codesmith
    • Worked 5 years prior at home automation tech company as a software engineer
    • Graduated as part of May '16 Cohort 7 class
    • Accepted six figure salary job offer as frontend developer within 2 weeks of graduating Codesmith

Excellent Community & Culture

I think the two things that made my experience so great with Codesmith was the community and culture thriving there.  From the very beginning, we were taught that our experience for the next 3 months wasn't going to be dictated simply by what we each of us could individually accomplish and learn.  No, our experience was going to be heavily inspired by what we could accomplish and build together as a cohort.  Codesmith did an outstanding job making sure that we were always thinking about how to "level up" each other via many different approaches such as pair programming to work on solving problems with a partner or simply creating a space where people could freely exchange ideas and dialogue with one another without fear of judgement.

Great Learning Environment

The academic knowledge that Codesmith teaches to get you up to speed with current technologies and more importantly their emphasis on honing your ability to think like an engineer, I think, are also what makes Codesmith a great program to quickly develop yourself into a great software engineer.  The pace of learning is fast, but they also ensure that you succeed in the program.  You'll become familiarized and well-equipped with the technologies and skills necessary to succeed as a developer today.

Exceptional Job Search & Hiring Support

Hiring Day was an exciting experience and a great way to conclude the program.  There were many top tech companies present there including the company which I eventually joined.  Codesmith was extremely supportive in this process by helping us prepare well in advance.  And to top that off, Codesmith also provided post graduation support, doing regular weekly checkups of how we are doing in our job search process and providing helpful advice to guide us towards the job we're looking for.

Codesmith certainly exceeded my expectations of how much I could get out of such a short condensed program.  I'm really happy to have been a part of it and to have had the fortune of meeting some really bright, like-minded, compassionate people, both the staff and cohortmates alike.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

• Micky • Graduate

I have loved my experience as a Codesmith student because I feel it is a truly self-aware program that really delivers on its pledges. If you read the description above, it says "We prepare our graduates for roles at the leading tech companies in the country. Codesmith's program goes above and beyond a regular coding bootcamp."  This is exactly how Codesmith functions. The program does so much more than provide a great curriculum exposing you to the entire JavaScript ecosystem and its most popular frameworks. It:
    1.  pushes you to expect more out of yourself and your classmates than you probably thought previously possible or were used to in previous walks of life (students regularly work until midnight)
    2. thoroughly exposes you to the mindset of a true problem-solving software engineer
    3. puts you through an exhaustive hiring program full of whiteboarding sessions, mock interviews, multiple resume iterations, and Github and social media profile preparation (THEY WANT TO GET YOU HIRED), all throughout the second half of the program so that you have all the tools you need the minute you graduate. All of that is in addition to dedicated post-graduation hiring support featuring regular check-ins, follow-up lectures and on-site discussions. Though Codesmith boasts great hiring numbers, a student does occasionally struggle to get a job. I can say with certainty that this is not for lack of trying by the CS staff. In the rare case that a graduate hasn’t found employment, they are still strategizing with that person to get him/her hired months out of the program.
    To be clear, this is not a program that places you into a job. They do open their expansive network to students, which includes a hiring day event at the end of the program that regularly leads to a handful of phone screens and on-sites, but the rest is up to you. They give you all the tools to succeed, and then some. You have to have the confidence, the drive and the ability to translate everything you learn over those 3 months into the career you want.

• Bryan • Software Engineer • Graduate

Nothing in life is guaranteed.

Codesmith is no different and they can't guarantee you a job, but they give you the best opportunity in trying to get one. They can only show you the door and show you opportunites, but it is up to you to take those opportunites, if you don't, then you miss your chance. If you think Codesmith is a program that will hold your hand the whole way, then stop now and dont apply to Codesmith. This program is only for the ones who really want to be great software engineers and make a difference in the community and to push themselves and others to be the best they can be. I will not sugar coat it, this program is tough and very intense, but what you get out of it are skills and techniques that are priceless. Having the ability to code, gives you the freedom to now take ideas and bring them to life with just your mind and a laptop (not many other skills you learn today can have that sort of benefit).

Codesmith isnt just teaching their students how to code for three months and get a job. They are trying to teach you a lifestyle of how to learn and keep learning. Since languages will always be changing and new technology will be discovered, software engineers have to learn to adapt and Codesmith helps you do just that. If you are applying to Codesmith here are some expectations that you need to keep in mind.

The Codesmith program is 3 months and budget in another 1- 3 months for looking for a job. Just because you finish the program DOES NOT mean you are finished. You have really only just begun! The job search starts once the program is done and it ends up being even more time intensive than the course because of all the jobs that Codesmith encourages you to apply to weekly. This work is all for your benefit though because the main reason most people will be doing the program is to get a software engineering job at the end. So, DO NOT take a vacation after the program, wait until you have SIGNED your offer! Like I said earlier, Codesmith can't guarantee you a job, you have to put in the work like everyone else to get a job. However, you havea benefit over the competition who didn't do Codesmith, the training and coaching for coding interviews and whiteboarding that Codsemith offers on top of many other things you will have learned once you have finished the program! I felt so prepared and confident going into interviews even though I had never had a software engineering job or even job experience in software until I started the program. On top of all the hours of practice interviews and whiteboarding sessions, Codesmith also has a Hiring Day event where 20-30 companies come and watch you showcase your final projects and go through lightning interviews with you. Some students even get onsite interviews from many of these companies! Just because you do get this event DOES NOT mean you stop applying for jobs outside of the hiring partners that come to the event. This is where many people might feel discouraged if they don't get an interview with one of the hiring partners but you CAN NOT give up! You have to keep pushing through and all of your classmates are supporting you and using their networks to help everyone get jobs. Everyone in my cohort was supportive and reached out to anyone they knew who were hiring software engineers. Codesmith creates THIS community and thats what sets it apart from many of the other bootcamps.

Codesmith is a program like nothing else I have ever experienced. Being surrounded by other students who wanted to learn how to code just as badly as I did, really pushed all of us to strive for success. Codesmith gives you the best learning environment and their curriculum is only getting better due to their iterative process from cohort to cohort. If you are willing to put everything you have into this program, then Codesmith is the right place for you and your life will forever be changed.

• Being Real
    - 12/20/2016
    Michael • Software Engineer • Graduate

I wanted to add more detail to my initial review.

My time as a student was stressful, but rewarding. I was constantly trying to cram info into my brain at a rapid pace, and sometimes it was overwhelming, but I had some really solid people around me to help me through it. They would constantly take me on food dates, which really helped to relieve the pressure.

Circles were also helpful. Circles are where you talk about how you're feeling with other students and a member of staff, and they help you get through whatever troubles you're having. I wish they had it more as a student, because it was always nice to vent, but I still appreciate having it at all.

Aside from the emotional stress, I loved my time here. The bonfires, the relay races, the people... I miss it all. Codesmith has really outdone itself by consistently bringing in beautiful people who are not only smart, but empathetic.

Life at Codesmith was tough, but because of that, I'll never forget it.

• Michael • Software Engineer • Graduate

Wow. Just... wow. This program was something else. Before I came here I remember I was lacking confidence in my ability to bring something to life with code, as well as a sense of belonging. Now, flip both upside-down. I feel like I could code anything. I can design API's, websites, databases - everything. And if I can't right now, Codesmith trained me to figure it out. To put my head down and solve the problem. This skill is so difficult to teach, but Codesmith figured out how to do it. Don't forget about the sense of belonging, though. That piece is crucial, too.

The people I've met at Codesmith are all insanely brilliant. Not only that, but they're also extremely humble, and just good people. They'll stay up for hours with you late into the night to help you figure out that problem you just can't wrap your head around. They're family to me in all honesty.

Overall, Codesmith has given me a family I know I can always count on, and additionally, it made me hireable. That's exactly what they promise, and they kept it.

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

100% of job obtainers reported salaries.

We continue to be impressed by our grads as the majority (68%) accept offers of over $110k, ranking Codesmith LA the highest median starting salary for CIRR-member programs.

For transparency, here is the breakdown of our graduates earning over $110k from 7/01/2018 - 12/31/2018:
  • $110-120k: 17.9%