smu-boot-camps-logo

SMU Boot Camps

Akron, Dallas, Dallas

SMU Boot Camps

Southern Methodist University (SMU) Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time, and 24-week, part-time web development courses, and 24-week, part-time data science, financial technology (FinTech), and cybersecurity courses in Dallas, TX and online. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, Database Theory, MongoDB, MySQL, Git, Java, and more.

The data science curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript (D3.js, Leaflet.js), HTML/CSS, API Interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, Machine Learning, and more. Students will enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The FinTech curriculum covers a host of popular tools and methods such as Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Both the online and on-campus SMU Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, mock interviews, one-on-one career coaching, and more. Upon program completion, students will receive a certificate in Data Science or a certificate in Full-Stack Web Development from SMU Professional and Online (SMU PRO) and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data science, financial technology, or cybersecurity.

SMU Boot Camps are offered in collaboration with Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent SMU Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (21) reviews for SMU Boot Camps →

Recent SMU Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationDallas
    At SMU Cybersecurity Boot Camp, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. SMU Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
    Payment plans available
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationDallas
    This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
    LocationDallas
    Get hands-on training and instruction in Financial Technology and Analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your work or college schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, only two days a week, with convenient evening and weekend hours. Students have access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
    Payment plans available
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationDallas
    SMU Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationDallas
    SMU Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.

2 Scholarships

• $500 SMU Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive SMU Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (Dallas)
  • $500 SMU Boot Camps Scholarship

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Dallas)
    • Financial Technology - Part-Time (Dallas)

• A Worthy Challenge
    - 2/21/2019
    Alexander Osborn  User Photo
    Alexander Osborn • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I found and enrolled in this program shortly after graduating with my Bachelor's. I already knew I wanted to pursue web development, and I figured having a program like this on my resume would help get my foot in more doors. I must say, the content of the course and the backing of the career services has provided me with the confidence to hop back into the job market armed with the right tools.

Is it right for me?
    I am but a humble computer programmer who was looking to add more tools to my toolbelt. Many of my classmates were from all walks of life, looking to mix things up a bit. Whatever the reason, if you are interested in knowing what makes the latest web applications tick and want to be part of that, then you are definitely in the right place.

Is it difficult?
    They don't call this a "bootcamp" for nothing. You will be tested; your problem-solving skills will be exercised to the max; you will be frequenting StackOverflow and online documentation until your brain hurts. But nothing can top the sheer satisfaction making a complex program FINALLY produce the expected output. I want to be able to look back someday at a complex program I had a part in operating in the wild and say to myself "Hey, I made that happen." So save yourself or BUCKLE UP!

How's the workload?
    The brochure said to expect about 20 hours a week outside of class on homework and prep-work in addition to the 10 hours of lecture per week. That's a pretty accurate estimation on average. Some of the more trivial projects for me took 5 to 10 hours at most on some weeks. However, some of the real tricky monsters had me buried in documentation and tests for close to 30 or more on other weeks. If you already work a significant number of hours at your current job, be prepared for some late nights.

Do I need a programming background before starting this course?
    It helps, but it's not going to make or break you. You may have to go through a bunch of examples and get down in the weeds before something finally clicks, but it's not impossible.

Career Services and you
    The program offers career services for students who are interested. Should you choose to opt-in to it, they help get your resume and online presence spruced up to show employers the key points they look for in potential hires. They also offer a bunch of resources to peruse and make use of. A great support system if you need some guidance in the job hunt.

Should I go for it?
    Some things in life aren't worth achieving if they're easy. Believe me, you will be tested, but the challenge was worth it. Now is the right time to jump into the tech field, because who knows what computers will be capable of in 10 years.

Sunday, Feb 24 2019
    We're thrilled you enjoyed the program, Alexander! Thank you for sharing your boot camp journey and providing useful feedback for prospective students to keep in mind. Like you mentioned, this course is challenging but worth it. Congratulations on graduating, we're confident you will go on to do great things with your newfound knowledge!
  • Jeuel Viveros  User Photo
    Jeuel Viveros • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I am 42 years old and after owning a restaurant for 16 years and getting burnout, my business partner and I decided to move on and get out of the restaurant business. Since over the years, I helped friends, other restaurants, and different types of business to design logos, flyers, banners, and whatever printing need they had, I figured it would be great to expand my printing designing experience to the digital world, so I started studying on my own. It got to a point where I got stuck with Javascript and couldn’t learn more, so I decided to search for courses and learned that I could do a Boot Camp at SMU. The cost of the course was a deterrent at first, but I figured I would be forced to learn in such an intensive way, watched several online videos about and concluded that it was worth the cost. I am glad for my decision, I don’t think I would ever learn as much as I did on my own, this course opened my eyes to computer languages, libraries, frameworks, databases… that I don’t think I would even know that I needed to learn, showed me a broad horizon that now I can choose what direction I want to take. Bruce was an incredible instructor, with such a vast knowledge and did explain us in many different ways when we couldn’t understand certain concepts, Tyler and Henry were so patient with me when I would come to a section before class with so many questions and many times completely lost, they would point me in the right direction and not always tell me what to do, but where to look for solutions. I learned how to learn in this course and that alone is priceless. Thank you all so much for your patience, kindness, and sharing the knowledge.
    Friday, Sep 11 2020
    Way to go, Jeuel! We're honored you chose our program to make a significant career transition and expand your technology skills. It's great to hear that you were able to be exposed to a variety of programming languages, libraries, frameworks, and databases throughout your learning journey. We also have to agree that Bruce, Henry, and Tyler are all pretty fantastic—we couldn't do what we do without our amazing instructional team. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! We're confident in your new skill set and can't wait to see what you'll accomplish in the future.
  • Jonathan Alpart  User Photo
    Jonathan Alpart • Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub
    I'm halfway through my Full-stack web dev Bootcamp and it is shocking how much we have already covered and how much we have absorbed. We've learned HTML5 and CSS (quickly!), GitHub, Javascript, node.js, express.js, deploying apps with Heroku, and MySQL.

I've already created about a dozen apps and have a great understanding of all the material thus far. The instructors are very engaged and care about your success. There are a ton of resources outside of class as well if you get stuck, including tutors you can schedule for free weekly hour-long sessions, "instant" tutoring for 15 minutes on quick issues, a Slack channel to communicate with classmates and instructors with questions, feedback, comments, etc, and an entire Career Coach department dedicated to helping you maximize your leverage of the course material as well as personal qualities and relevant work experience into getting hired. Highly recommended!

Improvements to the program could include:
    - training the instructors and TAs to be just a little bit stronger in introducing new concepts effectively
    - tightening up the disorganized BootCampSpot.com website which we must navigate to sign into class, submit homework, locate class and career resources, etc
    - I cannot really judge the Job Assistance since I'm still in the course and haven't begun job hunting, but there is an ongoing side program throughout the course that has you actively thinking about and working towards resume building, interview preparation etc. So far however my experience leads me to believe that the future Job Assistance will be excellent as well.
    Wednesday, May 27 2020
    Amazing, Jonathan! We're thrilled you're absorbing new knowledge and have already created your own projects. It's great to know you're enjoying the curriculum and taking advantage of all the boot camp's available resources.

We're constantly optimizing our program offerings and feedback like yours truly helps us do that. Congratulations on hitting the halfway point! We commend all your hard work thus far and can't wait to help you finish out your studies.
  • Very good
    - 2/20/2019
    Benjamin Arthur Massey  User Photo
    Benjamin Arthur Massey • Student Verified via GitHub

I just graduated from this course and it was an extremely good choice for someone that is ready to start a carreer. The staff is incredibly helpful and willing to help no matter how stressful or complicated the problem is that you are experiencing. the TA's not only just graduated from the course but continue to expand thier knowledge of the subject which in turn helps the students. after six months of extremely hard work and dedication I would recomend this course to anyone that has a good work ethic and is ready to change carrers.

Sunday, Feb 24 2019
    Way to go, Benjamin! We're happy you found our team to be helpful in navigating challenging problems. Congratulations on your recent graduation, we applaud all your hard work! Best of luck as you move forward.
  • A Great Course
    - 2/20/2019
    Alec Harris  User Photo
    Alec Harris • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I just recently graduated from the course this past weekend, and I am very satisfied with it. The instructors are phenomenal, career services is very helpful, and I definitely feel like I learned a lot. I entered the course with some programming experience in Python, but no experience in web development. I am happy to say that I am now more than capable of building functional, complex websites and have already landed two job interviews, so clearly the skills that I've learned and projects I've created are of interest to employers.

My only complaint with the course is that at times the curriculum feels a bit outdated. We spent a lot of time on jQuery and Bootstrap, but neither seem to be particularly valued by most employers. We spent only a small amount of time on React, but most jobs I would like to apply for require it, and I feel that spending more time on it in class would have been greatly beneficial. Overall, this isn't a huge problem, as with the knowledge I have now, I don't feel like it will be difficult to polish my skills in areas we didn't spend as much time on, and it is useful to have skills that are no longer cutting edge so that I can work with older code bases. However, it is still a tad bit disappointing that I feel like I have no real use for some of the early technologies we learned in the class.

That said, I would still highly recommend the course to anyone who is interested in becoming a web developer. It is definitely worth the price.

Friday, Feb 22 2019
    Thank you for your review, Alec! We're thrilled you found our entire boot camp team to be helpful and supportive. We understand you would have liked to spend more time focusing on React. Our program prides itself on teaching students how to learn, providing a strong foundation they can use to master additional languages and concepts following graduation. We're constantly working on improving our curriculum to ensure individuals are learning the most valuable technologies, so we truly appreciate you sharing this feedback. Congratulations on graduating! All the best as you move forward.
  • Osman Caliskan  User Photo
    Osman Caliskan • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I have just finished and graduated from this program couple days ago.

Before this course, I found couple alumni on  linkedin and asked them some questions regarding the course. After hearing positive responses from them I had decided to apply.

Our program was 24 weeks long and we had classes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. It was a flex program, so I did not have to quit from my job. Majority of the classroom were full-time employed people.

When I started this course I had no prior knowledge about web development and coding.

This course is not definitely easy, but  with hardwork and dedication you will absolutely learn a lot of things that you never achieved by yourself. It requires at least 20-25 hours self study each week. At the beginning of the course,we were clearly told that this course requires self study. This course provides excellent resources and free online tutoring. Also each lessons are recorded, so you can watch them again when you need them.

Instructors are very knowledgeable and  each classes has at least two TA's to make sure students understand lesson content. During the course we  have learned HTML, CSS, Javascript, Node JS, Express JS, MySql, MongoDB, React JS. At the end of the course, I was able to create my own ecommerce website.

Overall my experience with SMU Bootcamp is very positive and I highly recommend this course to everyone who is looking for a new career in this field.

Wednesday, Feb 20 2019
    Amazing, Osman! We're happy to hear you successfully learned the fundamentals of full-stack web development and completely agree that although this course is not easy, with hard work and dedication you can master the material. Congratulations on your recent graduation and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best in your coding endeavors.
  • Niko Roberts  User Photo
    Niko Roberts • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Why choose SMU?

Not only does this program provide incredible support and resources, well versed and experienced instructors, and some of the most dedicated TAs, but you have the added benefit of the SMU name when you leave which looks great on resumes and lets potential employers know you are serious.

How is SMU's bootcamp different from the others?

There are multiple reasons in my opinion that make SMU stand out. One is the overall passion the staff has for seeing their students succeed and doing everything they can to help you be successful. The instructors are experienced, not only in web development but in teaching fairly difficult subjects to students of various backgrounds.

Another reason is the time and flexibility presented in this course. Many bootcamps are 3 month full-time programs(and SMU does have the option I believe) but for a lot of people like myself it can be very trying even down right impossible to cram all that learning into a three month period, let alone maintain a job throughout. SMU offers a 24 week(6 month) part-time schedule which is far more achievable and allows extra time to really absorb everything you're learning.

Final Thoughts

I highly recommend this bootcamp! The amount of support received throughout my experience was wonderful. I personally got a little behind early on and my instructors and TAs reached out with genuine concern and support, finding any and every way they could to assist me through difficult times and ensuring my success. Not only is this program manageable, affordable, and enjoyable, but the entire community is there for you when you struggle. Instead of leaving you behind when you fall, they help you up and walk along side you to make sure you meet your goals. SMU is #1 in my book and I guarantee your experience here will truly be life changing.

Monday, Feb 18 2019
    Way to go, Niko! We're thrilled you had a positive student experience and felt supported by our entire instructional team. We love what we do, so reviews like yours truly resonate with us. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate you sharing your boot camp journey! Best of luck in all your coding endeavors.
  • Julio Sanchez  User Photo
    Julio Sanchez • Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I just finished and graduate 2-16-19

Should you attend?

This is an easy yes!  I tried teaching myself how to code for about 2 years (on and off) before joining SMU Coding Bootcamp.  Once I got HTML and CSS I got to javascript and I just couldn't get myself to learn it.  The reason was that I wasn't consistent and I never tried building anything with the knowledge I had.  I kept bouncing from tutorial to tutorial.  Attending the boot camp fixed that and my ability to learn and understand javascript and the other technologies I learned skyrocketed.

Is it easy?

No, but it is VERY, VERY doable!  Do not join without knowing you will dedicate at least 20 hours of self-study each week.  We were told from the very beginning that we spend 10 hours in class and need to study 20 hours on our own, so the majority of the leaning is done on your self-study time.  However, the boot camp gives you structure and excellent recourses with your instructor, TA's and free online tutoring (1 hr per week).

Frustration and Doubt

You WILL be frustrated and you will think you're not getting and just falling behind.  Trust me, everyone feels like this!  I'm pretty sure my last 8 to 10 weeks were nothing but frustration.  You will not be able to see the improvements you're making but your Instructor and TA's can see it.  Do not give up.  You will get it and you won't believe what you know on the last day from the first day.

Veteran's

If you are a Veteran the course is 100% paid for by your 9/11 GI Bill and you get a housing stipend.  Nothing better I can say about that!

Career Service's

For reasons that fit my situation, I did not make full use of career services, but I did attend some of the online sessions.  I was very impressed with the quality and knowledge of the team that is set up to help you land a job at the end.  The sessions and "assignments" offered by Career Services are not mandatory so it's very easy to ignore them and think you'll catch up later.  If you want/need a job after graduation DO NOT fall behind with this.

Final Thoughts

This is obviously the only boot camp I've attended so I don't have anything to really compare it against.  That said, I know that I never would have gained the amount of knowledge I know now on my own...I tried.  The instructors and TA's were awesome and ALWAYS available and willing to help.  SMU Coding Boot Camp was one of the best choices I made in 2018.

If you want to get a better idea of my journey you can check out my YouTube channel where I document it.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrPq8rboAHlocWzbrTGIlQw

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions.

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/julio-sanchez-a41404b9/

Twitter: @TechLifeJulio

Friday, Feb 15 2019
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Julio! We're glad you benefited from the structure of the program and the support from our entire boot camp team. Great advice for prospective students: do not give up. Congratulations on your upcoming graduation, we love receiving feedback like yours! We’re cheering you on as you move forward in your career.
  • Henry Winget  User Photo
    Henry Winget • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

It's always a little scary changing jobs. It's frightening changing careers.
    Fortunately, I chose the right one.

In January 2018, my experience with coding was, well, Myspace layouts in the mid 2000's to junior computer science courses 7 years ago in high school. In July, I went from barely getting my way around a command line prompt to pumping out full-stack web applications I could be proud of.

I will say, this is not a magic pill you can swallow, nor is it to be looked at like a passive investment you can throw money at to instantly become a coding wizard. It's a serious amount of work that takes serious dedication. You MUST have an inviting, open-mind with a desire to learn, yearning to go home and research more about what you didn't digest in class, discipline in practice, and you need to be able to handle rejection. Your computer will (likely) reject every problem you try to solve 9 times out 10 until you try that euphoric number 10, and your current solution works as desired (sometimes).

Ultimately, everything you do boils down to 0's and 1's. If you do not have any of the traits above, you will be hitting 0's and not meeting the necessary conditionals, yet if you can do all of the above, you are a perfect, sweet, beautiful 1 and can do whatever you want.

The class begins by walking you down memory lane of the beginnings of the internet and how absolutely horrible we had it. You'll learn how to operate a command line, HTML and CSS (Myspace anyone?), then you'll get into Javascript and Jquery and you'll feel terrible about every life decision you made to that point. But don't panic, the class will move fast, and you won't feel confident and comfortable with every step. But you will practice, and you will learn on your own, and then you'll practice, and then you'll watch some kid on YouTube breeze through something you thought was practically impossible, and then you'll practice, and then you'll do your homework, and then you will get more practice.

You'll learn what an API is, move on to database management like Firebase and MySQL, and those together will change your views on how the world handles, stores, and processes information (sometimes, a lot of the times, your personal information!). You'll get into Node.js and not have any idea what it is until you start doing it and continue to do it and, of course, practice. And after that, you might still not know what it is, but you might, probably just know what it does but, eventually, you'll get into firing up an Express server and BOOM, you've created a full-stack application with no clue on how to replicate it aside from looking at previous class examples and/or your code.

And that's okay, keep doing that.

After that, holy smokes MongoDB, why do we even use SQL databases anymore? To make a long story short on that, it's flexible, easier to query (and store data) and there are dozens of free services that do most of that for you. But, on the other hand, SQL has the upper hand when it comes to joining and organizing two or more sets of data. But that's not relevant right now.

What I was getting to this entire time was the mac-daddy React.js. This is going to be very painful, but it is going to be the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE CLASS. I said that right, it will combine your entire set of skills up to that point and test your patience on multiple levels. React.js is a front-end framework (what does that mean? *answer: GOOGLE IT*) that the lizard people over at Facebook developed that changed the game for web development (I'm leaving Angular and Vue out of the conversation because I don't know them and I don't talk to strangers). But for real, it's a tough-TOUGH part of the curriculum because it leaves a lot of what you've done with HTML/Handlebars/Jquery by the wayside and makes you rethink the way you construct your applications. Luckily, elements of the above still apply which means you can squiggle by, but it will be an essential part of your hiring process as multiple companies are looking for Full Stack MERN (MongoDB/Express/React/Node) Developers.

This class will not hold your hand through the experience. You will be challenged. You will need to practice. You might be in luck, like I was, and have an awesome, engaging, experienced instructor and supported by patient, graduates of the program in teaching assistants and it will make your life easier.

I landed a contract position with an IT service management company two months after the course ended, and you'll see me in February as a patient, graduate of the program, teaching assistant.

I recommend this to you on the previous conditions of 0's and 1's.

var student;

if(student === 1) {

student = fullStackDeveloper;

} else {

student = unsuccessful;

}

Remember, Google and YouTube are your friends, reviewing your, or other people code is your partner, asking for help is your doctor, and practice is your job.

Good luck!

Monday, Oct 15 2018
    Amazing, Henry! We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and providing prospective students a detailed glimpse of the boot camp journey. It's great to hear you enjoyed the curriculum and were supported by our entire instructional team. Congratulations on completing the course and on your exciting new career role! We wish you all the success in your future endeavors.
  • Jason Warner  User Photo
    Jason Warner • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hat's off to the entire staff that put together our Coding Bootcamp experience. Their passion for helping each student succeed far exceeded my expectations. As previously mentioned in the comments, the instructors are top industry professionals, knowledgeable about the technologies being taught and offer industry insight that you wouldn't get without on campus classes. You also have TA's available, ones that have already gone through the course with tremendous success. They understand the struggles and are their to guide you along the way. Our student success manager and career services team are also very helpful. Point blank, this team is full invested in your individual success.

As far as technologies, you start with a foundation in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and jQuery. You are then exposed to more complex, but very useful tools, that help round out your front end skills before diving into database structures and back end technologies. Before you know it, you are designing a full fledge application using the MERN stack. After 7 months, you'll have an understanding of MVC frameworks, user authentication, JSON Web Tokens, React, ES6, and much more.

The course is rigorous, fast paced, and demanding, but the hard hours are worth it. I feel much more qualified in my career transition than if I were to have studied on my own. I highly recommend this Coding Bootcamp to all interested in starting a web development career.

Thursday, Jul 26 2018
    Thank you for your review, Jason! We are truly passionate about enabling student success, so we're thrilled to hear you enjoyed our curriculum and our entire team of instructors, TAs, Student Success Manager, and career services. Like you mentioned, this course is fast-paced and demanding, but worth it. Congratulations on all the hard work you dedicated and on graduating from such a rigorous program! We wish you continued success in all your future goals.
  • Amazing program
    - 7/19/2018
    Amber Phillips  User Photo
    Amber Phillips Verified via LinkedIn

I had no experience coding before starting this bootcamp. My experience was soley in the financial industry. I was referred by a friend to attend SMU's bootcamp because I have wanted to break into the tech industry for quite sometime now. After going through this program all I can say is wow. The sleepless nights are worth it when you go through this program. It is very hands on and challenging to say the least. The instructional staff are professionals who have experience in the industry. You get a student success manager, career services, and access to Teachers Assistants who are willing to help you every step of the way.

Friday, Jul 20 2018
    Way to go, Amber! We are so happy you chose our program to break into the tech industry. You are completely right that this is a hands-on and challenging course, requiring additional time outside the classroom to master the topics and concepts. As such, it's great to know our entire team supported you every step of the way. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Diane Reeves • Graduate
    Just graduated from the Southern Methodist University Full Stack Coding class and my background is graphic design and fashion design. So if this creative non technical person can learn coding, anyone can with the right program. The SMU part time 6 month program, was the right one for me. Great instruction from Bruce Van Horn and supportive patient TA's, Henry Winget and Tyler Calvert. This program also gives you a free tutor. William Jones was mine who was another asset to my journey of understanding and success. The class is fast pace but not unreasonable, but I recommend just like anything don't fall behind. You will be taught how to code and most importantly how to work through a problem when you get stuck. That alone in priceless. So glad I did it and enjoying the next steps of working with another added benefit, a well connected career services center.
    Wednesday, Sep 16 2020
    Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Diane! We appreciate you choosing our program to learn a completely new skillset and commend all the hard work you dedicated to your studies. Like you mentioned, this is a fast-paced course, one that will require extensive hours both inside and outside of the classroom, so we're glad you took advantage of our boot camp team's support. We also have to agree that Bruce, Henry, and Tyler are all pretty fantastic. Congratulations on graduating, we're rooting you on in all that you do!
  • Mr
    - 9/13/2020
    David Obembe • Mechanical engineer turned data Analyst • Graduate
    It was a 6 month datascience bootcamp, very interesting, very informative and very useful in building a solid portfolio. There was a lot to learn in a short time so there were some modules that you wouldn't be able to fully grasp. Either way it opens the door to the datascience and It makes it easier for you to at-least understand the main topics. YOU ONLY GET OUT AS MUCH AS YOU PUT IN(if you do the work and trust the process, I believe it would be worth it).

I attended the course during the pandemic so most of it was online. Personally I think this was beneficial because the lecturers were supportive and I didn't have to struggle with travel time. On the other hand, I felt like we couldn't develop the solid bond between all the classmates(something that definitely would have happened if we met in person). Also it would be really hard if you work full time.
    Monday, Sep 14 2020
    Thank you for your review, David! We're thrilled to hear you had a positive boot camp experience and successfully learned the fundamentals of data science. Like you mentioned, you definitely get what you put in, so we commend all the hard work you dedicated to your studies. We strive to form a collaborative classroom environment, both in-person and online, so we appreciate your feedback as we're continually optimizing our program offerings. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in your future endeavors!