smu-boot-camps-logo

SMU Boot Camps

Dallas, Dallas

SMU Boot Camps

Southern Methodist University (SMU) boot camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time web development courses, and 24-week, part-time data science, financial technology (FinTech), and cybersecurity courses. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The fintech curriculum covers Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Both the online and on-campus SMU Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, mock interviews, one-on-one career coaching, and more. Upon program completion, students will receive a certificate from SMU Continuing and Professional Education (CAPE) and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data science, financial technology, or cybersecurity.

Southern Methodist University (SMU) Boot Camps are offered in collaboration with Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent SMU Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (21) reviews for SMU Boot Camps →

Recent SMU Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationDallas
    SMU Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
    Payment plans available
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationDallas
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
    LocationDallas
    Get hands-on training and instruction in financial technology and analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your current schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, and gain access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
    Payment plans available
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationDallas
    SMU Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationDallas
    SMU Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.

2 Scholarships

• $500 SMU Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive SMU Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (Dallas)
  • $500 SMU Boot Camps Scholarship

• Financial Technology - Part-Time (Dallas)
    • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Dallas)
  • Mr
    - 9/13/2020
    David Obembe • Mechanical engineer turned data Analyst • Graduate
    It was a 6 month datascience bootcamp, very interesting, very informative and very useful in building a solid portfolio. There was a lot to learn in a short time so there were some modules that you wouldn't be able to fully grasp. Either way it opens the door to the datascience and It makes it easier for you to at-least understand the main topics. YOU ONLY GET OUT AS MUCH AS YOU PUT IN(if you do the work and trust the process, I believe it would be worth it).

I attended the course during the pandemic so most of it was online. Personally I think this was beneficial because the lecturers were supportive and I didn't have to struggle with travel time. On the other hand, I felt like we couldn't develop the solid bond between all the classmates(something that definitely would have happened if we met in person). Also it would be really hard if you work full time.
    Monday, Sep 14 2020
    Thank you for your review, David! We're thrilled to hear you had a positive boot camp experience and successfully learned the fundamentals of data science. Like you mentioned, you definitely get what you put in, so we commend all the hard work you dedicated to your studies. We strive to form a collaborative classroom environment, both in-person and online, so we appreciate your feedback as we're continually optimizing our program offerings. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck in your future endeavors!
  • Ka-Ri Walker • Design Technology Solution Architect • Student

Hi,

A little about me and why I enrolled in a data science Bootcamp. I attended college in the late 90s and unfortunately had to leave before finishing to join the workforce. I have been working in my current industry for 20 years although hard to advance I was able to make some advancements. However, there is a ceiling in most industries for individuals without certifications and/or college degrees. So time after time I have taken every available online resource to advance my knowledge in programming, design applications that are relevant in my current field. I have spent about 6 months in the past year trying to ensure I was advancing and found that many industries are changing fast with the vast amounts of data available and highly underused. I spent hours online learning as much as possible but, it was apparent that I need even more and began to research Bootcamps. What stood out to me is that SMU college had Bootcamp that provided more than just the training it also provided guidance in many aspects that were attractive to me.

The course is very challenging in every way. You will be required to take your success into your own hand and put everything you have into it. The 3 day a week course work is great however, you will need to push yourself to find every available resource you can to be successful course work. I find that its 100% up to you what you get from and out of the course.

The course opens with Excel and VBA which is great to get your feet wet, however, I would have liked more Power BI and or tools that are available as of today. however, I do realize there are many companies that are still using basic excel and VBA. Looking over the curriculum I would have liked more R or time in emerging technologies. the overall curriculum to me made sense and built on the weeks past.

I am doing my review at the end of week 13 and it has for me been such a blast!

SUA SPONTE

Friday, May 03 2019
    Thank you for sharing your current experience, Ka-Ri! We're glad to hear our program is helping you advance your skill set. We're constantly optimizing our curriculum to ensure individuals are learning the most valuable technologies, so we appreciate your feedback. Continue working hard, we can't wait to see you successfully complete the boot camp!

• Cheddi Charles • High School Math Teacher • Graduate

When I just started the program, I was a bit nervous since I did not have much experience in this academic field. I was given the motivation from my instructors and tutors that I am doing great with the fact I have to do a lot of work on my own. There were days that went pretty good and there were other days that you fell like giving up. The  assisitance from my instructor, classmates and tutors were extremely good and there is this family-like atmosphere that made you feel that you are not alone.

At the end of the course I can say I learnt a lot of new information which to me sets the foundation of becoming an expert in this  full stack develpment. Whether you are learnig about JS, REACT or the different databases such MYSQL or MONGO , I was thrilled of so much can be done with these information. I will say I did not regret it but you have to be GRIT it after all , success comes by working smart and perseverence.

Sunday, Feb 24 2019
    Thanks so much, Cheddi! It's great to hear our instructional team motivated you, especially through challenging days when you need it the most. Great advice — success comes with perseverance and working smart. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Coding Boot Camp
    - 2/14/2019
    Jeff Crump • Student

The course moved quickly, which is to be expected in a boot camp.  The in-class work and homework assignments were appropriate for learning the material that was presented in the lectures.  The expectation that was set before I started the class was that I would need to spend at least 15 hours a weeki outside of class to learn the material.  As it turns out, I needed to spend closer to 20 hours per week to keep up.  Overall, the course was both challenging and a lot of fun.  I would recommend this class to anyone who is motivated to become a developer but needs to develop the necessary skills.

Thursday, Feb 14 2019
    Congratulations on graduating, Jeff! We're glad you enjoyed the curriculum and the program as a whole. Like you mentioned, prospective students will have to spend extensive time outside the classroom to master the course material. Thank you for your review, we wish you the best in all your future endeavors!
  • Edwin Martinez • Graduate
    This course is the one to take if you want teachers and student success managers that want to see you succeed. Not only do they support you all the way through the program through various avenues they also assist you in being career ready!
    Thursday, Feb 14 2019
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Edwin! We're passionate about what we do, so we're thrilled to hear you felt supported by our entire team. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best in your future aspirations!
  • Sandra Marquez • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate

I relocated from El Paso, Tx to Dallas, Tx with the sole purpose of attending the
    SMU Coding Bootcamp. The entire process from the beginning to end was a delightful
    journey. The program is well executed with plenty of support to aid you along
    the way. Having a background in Logistics, this field was entirely new for me, but
    boy did I learn more than I could have ever expected. I learned to build games,
    create servers, work with libraries, store information on databases and so on.
    The takeaway was substantial and now I am a new person. I went from having no
    knowledge to building beautiful applications in the span of six months. As I
    mentioned before the support offered was a great addition to the course. Having
    either your private tutor or a one on one in class in addition to the instructors
    support. Hats off to Mr. Shantanu, Carlos, Joey, Andrew and Kendrick for all their
    help along the way. I also would like to thank Norma for all her support and
    guidance on the journey towards employment with my new knowledge and I must add
    Netreia who was always there making sure all my needs were met throughout the entire
    course. I recommend this program to anyone who is thinking of either a) entering a
    new field or b) expanding their current knowledge within the industry.

Monday, Feb 05 2018
    Hi Sandra,

Congratulations on completing the boot camp! We're glad that you found this course to be a delightful experience, and that you learned so many valuable new skills through our program.

Receiving feedback like this makes us incredibly proud of our team as a whole for having provided you with the support you needed to be successful. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. We wish you the very best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Good Course
    - 10/19/2017
    Tyler Lackey • Jr. Software Engineer • Graduate

I had a good experience with SMU's coding bootcamp. All the teachers and TA's are real helpful and friendly. I landed a new postion as a Jr. Software Engineer a month or two before class had even ended.

Monday, Oct 23 2017
    Hi Tyler,

Congratulations on your new position as a Jr. Software Engineer! We're glad that you had such a positive experience with this program. It makes us proud of our team to hear that your instructors and TA's provided you with the help you needed. We're cheering you on as you move forward in your career.
  • Colin McDonnell • Graduate

I attended the SMU coding bootcamp from April-October of 2017. Before taking this course I had no knowledge of web or software development. To be honest, I was not tech savy in the slightest. Fortunately my instructors were highly knowledgable and passionate about coding. Matt Vella was my teacher and I never felt left behind with his teaching style. He made sure we didn't move on to the next technology/language until we understood the current lesson. In just 6 months, Matt and the teacher assistants, Megan and Tiffany helped transform me into a confident developer. I am excited for my new career to start and cannot praise this program enough.

Monday, Oct 23 2017
    Thank you so much for your review, Colin! We're thrilled to hear that our program has had such a positive impact on your career. We know the importance of quality instruction and academic support, so it's excellent that our instructors and TA's provided you with the guidance and assistance you needed to become a confident web developer.

It means a lot to us that our program has earned your praise. We hope you're proud of all the hard work you put into this course. Congratulations on completing the program, we wish you the very best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Worth it
    - 2/14/2019

If you have the time, outside of your current job to dedicate to this program, it is worthwhile

Thursday, Feb 14 2019
    Thank you for your review, we're happy to hear you found our program to be worthwhile! All the best as you move forward.