product-school-logo

Product School

Austin, Boston, Boulder, Chicago, Denver, London, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Orange County, San Francisco, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Toronto

Product School

Product School was founded in 2014 and offers 4-week and 8-week, part-time product management courses to professionals in a live online classroom. The curriculum contains a mix of practical, hands-on projects; group activities; and real-world case studies with a focus on highly relevant skills needed for the next generation of software product leaders. Product School students learn how to build digital products from end-to-end, lead cross-functional teams, and land their next product job or promotion. Courses are taught by senior-level product managers who work at technology companies such as Google, Facebook, Netflix, Airbnb, PayPal, Uber, and Amazon. Classes are held in the evenings or on weekends to ensure that both instructors and students can maintain their full-time jobs.

To apply, candidates should fill out an online application form. Graduates may be eligible to receive industry certificates in Product Management, such as PMC™, PLC™, and PEC™. Product School prepares students for product management interviews to enable them to expand their professional network through access to a private community of over one million product professionals, including alumni, mentors and hiring managers from top technology companies.

In addition to training for individuals, Product School delivers custom product training to Fortune 500 companies seeking to upskill their existing teams or onboard new talent. Committed to building a product management community, Product School has published the Amazon bestseller, The Product Book, and hosts over 1,000 free events per year, The Proddy Awards, and ProductCon, the largest multi-city conference in the world for product managers.

Recent Product School Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (194) reviews for Product School →

Recent Product School News

• Product Executive Certificate™

OnlinePart Time4 Weeks
    We offer different funding options to make financing your learning easy!
    Choose from interest-free monthly installments, or spreading the cost up to 36 months.
  • Product Leadership Certificate™

• Product Management Certificate™

Tuition PlansDifferent payment plans available
  • C W • Software Engineer • Graduate

I was lucky enough to attend the Product School December 2016 - February 2017.

Having worked as a software engineer for the last 5 years I thought I had an excellent idea of what it would be like to step into a product management role. I was happily mistaken.

My experience was excellent.  The quality of students was exceptional, with talents and interests that far reaching.  Joel, my instructor,  was a leader in the field, able to bring countless real life experiences to the table as examples. Material which could have been very basic was brought to life with Joels enthusiasm and insights into the product management field. Joel has also been a major support throughout this process and I see him as a huge asset to have in my future endeavors.

The Product School delivered exactly what I wanted, an in depth look a product management and a network of peers whom I hope to do great things with in the future.

• Cody C • Graduate

I took the Dec 2016 to Feb 2017 cohort that just ended yesterday. Prior to the class, I was looking for a course that fit my background and after speaking with two former instructors, I figured this was the best course for me.

Overall, I definitely recommend the course for people looking to understand and demystify Product Management. My instructor was Joel Palathinkal and, perhaps I am bias since I didn't have any other instructor but, he really made the class worth the money. For one, spending your Saturdays for 6 hours to learn outside of work is not an easy task but Joel's energy really made it alot easier. He also had the foresight to ask us for a course review in the middle of the class, instead of at the end. This was incredibly helpful because we shifted from theoretical and conceptual discussions, to much more pointed lectures on specific workflows and tools used by Joel in his workplace. His knowledge in the PM space also comes clear during potential interview questions that some of the students have received. He also makes himself avaliable during all sorts of hours during the day to ask him questions and get feedback. He also brought in guest speakers and made the content much more digestible in real-world application.

The only feedback for improvement I have is for the curriculum itself. I think that it has to be edited to fit the needs of the NYC market where most students don't necessarily come from a technical background. Had Joel not shifted the direction of the class midway, I'm not sure how satisfied I would have been with the course. We focused on specific case studies, features, etc that the curriculum or book didn't go into depth about. I also wished that there were more technical discussions on frameworks and specific languages best used in varied cases.

Otherwise, the course equips you with the knowledge and confidence you need to either deconstruct a product or feature or transition into a PM role. Definitely recommend the course and definitely recommend Joel

• J C • Student

I took the weekend class from Dec to Feb 2017 in NYC. I started looking into product management courses and after comparing a few, decided to go with Product School based on their curriculum and a great experience with Brad, whom I interacted with during the initial consultation. I was debating between two instructors/cohorts within Product School and Brad gave me insight on the instructors' styles and strengths. After I started the course, I was happy with my decision and choice of instructor.

The course was taught by Joel Palathinkal, and Brad was right about him bringing energy and life to class. His enthusiasm made the 6 hour weekend class easy. The parts I found most valuable about the class was the "What would Joel do?" discussions. Our class often asked him what he would do in certain scenarios, or how he would answer various interview questions. His answers adds an extra dimension to what we would've come up with ourselves. Joel also made himself available outside of class and followed up with us individually to see if we had further questions.

We also had the opportunity to meet Carlos, the founder in our class one day, and boy does he have a lot of energy! From the way he talks you can tell that he truly has a passion for product management and how to make the knowledge and tools more accessible to people. It's great to be part of a community that is open to share their experiences as well as offer help when you need it.

As for the curriculum itself, it is an intro class and gives you an high level understanding of what product management is like and the terminology used in the industry. It's a course for people with various backgrounds so there's a mix of hard skills and soft skills. As I already work in a position that works with multi-functional teams, I wish more deeper-level hard skills were covered in class. Others who are more specialized may find the discussions on soft skills (which there was a good portion of in each class) new and useful.

Overall, I'd recommend this course.

TL;DR: Intro to PM course taught by great instructor who is knowledgeable about the subject and open to share all his experiences and insights. Best for those who are not currently working in product management. You will be part of a community that is active and passionate about what they do.

• Frances Coronel • Ambassador at Fullstack Academy • Graduate

I attended the Saturday cohort in NYC from October to December 2016. While I really enjoyed being with a great set of peers, I felt some parts of the curriculum were lacking and not in-depth enough. The lecture slides are also not exactly pleasing to the eye sometimes and can come off as tacky.

Thankfully, I had a brilliant instructor who was very down to earth and was able to relate all of the lectures back to his personal experiences as a product manager. He was very real and straightforward when it came to feedback and advice which I can really appreciate.

What I feel good paying 3K for was the people I was surrounded with who all had interesting backgrounds and a desire to work more in product and also my instructor whose personal anecdotes and knowledge were far more valuable than what the curriculum had to offer. As usual, it really comes down to the people.

If there was a way to just get in a room with my instructor spewing out all he knows with some cool people surrounding me, I probably would have paid for that versus what he was paid to teach formally.

• Joe F. • Graduate

I was a student at Product School NYC during the summer of 2016.  I learned a ton, and not only from the instructor but from the other students as well as the guests that were brought in to help teach, share their experiences, and provide feedback on our projects/resumes/etc.

I would highly recommend Product School to anyone who has at least a couple years of work experience, but has never worked directly in a product management role.  My classmates came from all backgrounds, but everyone had relevant work/professional/life experiences that give them a different perspective on the PM role.

The course provided an overview of every aspect of a software PM's job, and introduced me to the tasks, the terminology, the software that a PM needs to be familiar with.

• Worth it
    - 10/28/2016
    Juan Acosta • Graduate

I found out about Product School through one of my mentors. After doing quite a bit of research, analyzing the curriculum, attending a meetup hosted by PS, and reaching out to the CEO, I came to the conclusion that this was he right program for me. I applied and very soon got an interview over the phone. The phone interview was to see if I as a right fit for the program; despite being younger than most of the program applicants, my experience and my future goals aligned very well with the curriculum and program mission. My goal in attending Product School was to apply a methodology to the product I am building as well as be prepared for any future career opportunities or endevours. Product School went beyond my expectations. In my opinion, the price of the program is far below its actual value.

I attended the Saturday cohort taught by Ben Shanken, Product Manager at Lyft. Ben is an amazing instructor with amazing talent and evident passion for product. I now consider Ben one of my great mentors and hope to continue learning from him. Ben related the Product School curriculum to all of his past product experience. This is where Product School excels above their competitors - relating methodology to actual real life product management; theory is nice, but when you introduce people, teams, and unique problems, this is where theory falls apart. I learned more from Ben’s experiences than I have ever learned in all the PM books I have read. Thanks to Ben and the PS team I feel a lot more confident in tackling real company problems in the future.

Throughout the program I was also able to learn from Carlos, the CEO. I also joined in on a few courses of the week cohort. This allowed me to meet different product managers with different backgrounds and unique experiences. The Slack community of product managers is also available to me and one that I will continue to tap into for support, knowledge, and mentorship. I am big on having mentors and PS has expanded my network of mentors tremendously.

The curriculum covered everything from customer interviews, to metrics, to thigs like public speaking and team communication. It re-inforced a lot of the things I have read on my own and taught me some new tools and techniques to apply to my product carreer. Product Management methodology is so new and it is such a niche carreer that it is sometimes vey difficult to find all of the information you need all in one place - PS succeeds at this too. The past few years I have done Product Management for several companies without the title or standarized methodology, PS helped me consolidate my experiences in order to advance my carreer opportunities. I now feel extremely confident of my skills as a PM thanks to Ben and the PS curriculum.

Overall, Product School has been an amazing and very rewarding experience. My classmates are now people I can reach out to for support. I will forever be thankful for the program, curriculum, staff, and mentors; I highly recommend the program for anyone wanting to begin or accelerate their product management journey.

• John K. • Product Marketing Manager • Graduate

I took the Product School class in New York, taught by Rayyan. Each week, we tackled a different aspect of product management, from scrum/working with developers to product marketing. The discussions were engaging, and I met a lot of great classmates. For me, the best part of the class was learning about common tools product managers use (Marvel, Sketch, etc.) and then using them in my course project. Pretty cool!

The team at Product School puts on great extracurricular events and has a strong network in NYC that you become a part of after you complete the program.

• Peter Ng • Product Manager • Student

Product School is not only for people who want to transition to be Product Managers, but also for experienced product manager to reinforce their skill sets and advance their careers.

I signed up for the Summer weekend cohort started in mid-June 2016 in its new Silicon Valley location. The reason I signed up for Product School was to learn the latest tools and skills for a Product Manager. I have been in Product Management in the past 5-6 years in an enterprise cloud company. I had taken Pragmatic Marketing many years ago; but that's more focus on outbound PM skill set. And I wanted to focus more on product design as a product manager. That's why I like the curriculum of Product School to complement what I already learned.

My instructor, Alok, was very knowledgeable about the consumer and enterprise software space as a PM. He was very supportive and helpful throughout the class. The material and the exercise were very good and useful. I think the money was well spent on this class and I highly recommend this training to anyone who wants to be Product Managers.

• Dan Clark • Graduate

I highly recommend Product School to those interested in furthering their product management skills. Product School will provide you with a solid foundation in product management within 8 weeks. Like others have said, the course is demanding, and you get out of it what you put into it.

I attended the evening course in San Francisco.  My class was professionally diverse, consisting of current product managers and those aspiring to be one (like me). The class size was small, interactive, and collaborative. The course materials are excellent and our amazing instructor (Michael Rosenthal) shared his real-world experiences and molded to course to the requests and experience levels of the class. The classes consisted of a balance of lecture and practical exercises, combined with project-based homework.

In addition to being there for you during the course, Product School, my instructor, and my classmates have kept in touch to provide support and encouragement since completion. Also, students receive free, lifetime access to a wide variety of Udemy courses, Product School and class-specific Slack channels, and Product School’s weekly seminars.

• James • Graduate

In writing this review, I hope people leave with not only a better understanding of the product management landscape, but also discover how effective Product School is at setting up their students for success in a product management role.

I joined Product School's weekday cohort under the tutelage of Greg and haven't looked back since. My product management journey began when I co-founded my company and built our mobile app so I started off knowing a few things about building products. However, it wasn't until I went through my first week with Greg did I realize that Product School could be the game-changer I needed to successfully begin my career in product management.

The on-boarding process was very professional and personable. Jake, the campus director was always there to answer questions, provide updates, and in general guide me through the process. The next step was to have a 1-to-1 with the CEO so that he could have some face-time to determine whether or not I'd be a good fit. Everything went seamlessly and I couldn't be happier with the process. There were a few changes in instructors for the cohort I chose due to scheduling problems but it was completely understandable because these instructors do have full-time jobs and things tend to just pop-up sporadically. In the end, I'm glad things happened the way they did because I couldn't have asked for a better instructor.

Greg knew exactly what he wanted out of each class and from each student. He took the curriculum and personalized it with his own experiences and thoughts. Product School provides a great blend of the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge that product managers need on the job. However, what really sold me was their use of hands-on activities, group work, and projects. We were assigned a final project to build a new product or product feature, and our homework every week accumulated into the necessary steps to develop our final project presentation. I thought this was a great way for us to commit to the program and allow us to manage our project well. Throughout the entire course, Greg was always there not only for questions and advice about our in-class work, but also for networking and interview help outside of class. He connected us with recruiters, gave us tips about approaching other product managers, and helped immensely with interview prep all throughout the course. All in all, I'd have to say that Product School does a great job of finding extremely talented, intelligent, and passionate instructors that genuinely want to see you succeed.

Another great aspect of Product School is their ability to diversify. As a product manager, you'll most likely have to work with engineers, designers, other PM's, etc. My cohort was great because I got to work with professionals of all backgrounds. The diversity provided many perspectives and insights that ultimately created a great environment for us to learn as aspiring product managers.

With all this being said, product management is a very difficult and competitive career to jump into without any prior experience. I won't guarantee that Product School will get you a role instantly upon graduation. What I can say 100% confidently is that Product School will set you up in the best way possible with the technical skills, network, and confidence to succeed as a product manager. Product School truly seems to care for each of their cohorts and it's shown by their ability to foster an ongoing community, their numerous weekly meet-ups/networking events, Jake's follow-up e-mails, and their numerous resources such as their newsletter, and free courses to help sharpen skill-sets and best practices. I can guarantee you that I don't regret my decision of joining and graduating from Product School.

• Jeroen Goddijn • Product Manager • Graduate

Let me tell you about the time I went to Product School... I signed up for the weekend cohort that started July 9, 2016 on the San Francisco campus.

I doubted between the weekday cohort and the weekend cohort for a while, but finally decided on the weekend cohort for 2 reasons:
    1. the better mix of backgrounds of co-students
    2. the resume of the instructor (Josh Anon)

Now, I am transitioning from a Project Management background to a Product Manager role and was looking for a structured and hands-on way of learning a framework for Product Management. Because I was already doing PM work in my current role, but realized I was not reaching my full potential and that there had to be a better way. And I didn't get disappointed.

Our instructor (Josh Anon) is absolute GOLD when it comes to teaching Product Management. He has a long track record with big name companies, and applies everything he's learned along the way (especially at Pixar), which shines through in his teaching methods.

Josh has completely overhauled/updated the curriculum and used our cohort to beta-test it. Now the curriculum has a better structure and is more cohesive, and as a result it sticks better. For homework you'll read chapters of his soon to be published book "Product Book: How To Be An Awesome Product Manager" as a preparation for class. The lecture materials are very cohesive and consistent with the learnings from the book. I really enjoyed reading the book (it's an easy read), and will read it again soon.

In every class there will be exercises where you apply what you've learned in a group assignment, which really helps to make it 'stick'. AND, this is a great way to get to know your classmates better too. (I would recommend the weekend cohort from a networking perspective too, since you get to spend a 1 hour lunch with your classmates every Saturday).

And you'll work on a Final Project during the first 6 weeks, wherein you go through the entire life-cycle of Product Management, right from distinguishing your customers/personas to creating the best product/market fit, determining the MVP and your launch plan.

Now, I know, a lot of people are saying you can probably learn most of this by searching the internet and reading everything available. And I am sure you can... But do you really want to spend that much time scavenging the internet and just reading (and taking for truth) whatever you can find? And how much do you think will actually stick if you read it without any structure? And are you really going to apply all that knowledge to a real product to really experience the whole process?

I really wanted to learn in an efficient and structured way and believe Product School (and their instructor Josh Anon) has delivered on that. Besides that, the instructor is highly available for any questions or help you need throughout the course and even afterwards. And the instructors will share personal experiences when using examples or to elaborate on any questions the class asks them, which helps you learn too. And I really connected with some of my classmates and we'll try to meet up on a regular basis for drinks or dinner and exchange experiences and learnings.

So, for me it was money well spent and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking to transition into Product Management or wants to learn a structured framework. I do agree that it would be even more awesome if they would go more in-depth into certain topics (i.e. User Research), but that is not feasible within this time-frame and I believe that at most companies this work (i.e. User Research) will be done by experts anyway, so you can learn that from them in your next PM role.

• Faran Najam

Whether you're a rookie in the tech scene or a seasoned veteran, if you want to get a jumpstart into product management then Product School is for you!

The role of a Product Manager varies from company to company, and even though many of us work with them on a day to day basis, there's still a lot left on the table for understanding what value they bring to the product/organization. My Product School instructor did an amazing job to explain the role of a Product Manager, what tools he/she can use to make decisions, and how they become the perfect advocate for the customer. The lesson plan was maximized to cover the key concepts in 8 weeks time, and homework was given to reinforce the teaching.

Product School does a great job at selecting the best candidates. I am still in touch with all of my classmates, and we are all supporting each other on our paths to become a Product Manager.

Now, this program doesn't guarantee you'll be a Product Manager the second you graduate. Product School is all about providing students with the fundamentals they'll need to begin their product management journey. If you put enough time and effort into fully understanding the teachings, and continue on your education path post-Product School, then you'll walk into your interviews with a major advantage over the competition.

It's been 4 weeks since I completed Product School, and I am getting calls back from companies. It's only a matter of time before my education pays off!