prime-digital-academy-logo

Prime Digital Academy

Kansas City, Minneapolis

Prime Digital Academy

Prime Digital Academy offers an intensive, 20-week full-stack coding bootcamp and an 18-week UX design bootcamp in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Working directly with Twin Cities tech employers, Prime Digital Academy has created programs that equip emerging engineers and designers with the skills they need to make immediate contributions. Prime students learn modern technologies, practical methodologies, and critical behavioral skills through carefully crafted curriculum and real-world projects for pro-bono clients in the community. Prime’s immersive programs empower learners from diverse backgrounds to begin their new careers in months, not years.

Prime’s full-stack engineering course prepares students with the skills and hands-on experience to develop complex software to solve businesses problems. Prime’s user experience design curriculum prepares students with professional practice in research, design and prototype software that is usable and meaningful. Prime graduates have been hired by nearly 200 companies in Minnesota, and the tight-knit learning community continues long after graduation, with students participating in mentorship, community education and ongoing alumni career support.

Recent Prime Digital Academy Reviews: Rating 4.87

all (104) reviews for Prime Digital Academy →

Recent Prime Digital Academy News

Read all (4) articles about Prime Digital Academy →
  • Full Stack Engineering

LocationKansas City, Minneapolis
    Prime prepares our students to join the industry as entry-level software engineers through a program centered around a 14 week immersive classroom experience. We’ll use modern technologies like HTML / CSS, Javascript, AngularJS, React.js and Node.js to give you foundational knowledge in software engineering you’ll be apply in any technical environment.
    36 and 60 month financing plans available from SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7
    Scholarship$500 scholarship to student of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota, Minneapolis, and St. Paul grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
    Prep Work6 Weeks of required, flipped-classroom study and prep assignments.
  • User Experience Design

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationMinneapolis
    Prime’s 18-week immersive User Experience Design program was crafted to help people with interests in design, organization and technology build the foundational skills to start a career in user experience. Prime works hand-in-hand with industry employers to ensure that graduates are ready for the challenges of building complex experiences that are valuable for businesses and resonate with users.
    36 and 60 month financing terms available from SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7
    Scholarship$500 scholarship to each person of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota and Minneapolis grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
    Prep Work6 Weeks of Online Pre-Work
  • Skyler Burgard • Software Engineer • Student
    Prime Digital Academy is an excellent program that I would recommend to anyone looking to get into tech. They gave me the proper tools to succeed and flourish as a software engineer and a human. The staff is extremely supportive, nice, and helpful the entire time offering their knowledge on all things tech and business.

The community and network they offer outside of actual code is also amazing. They surround you with alike individuals from all sorts of different backgrounds and life paths. Anyone looking to get into tech should check out Prime. 10/10 experience
  • Software Engineer
    - 9/25/2020
    Ashleigh McGinnis • Graduate
    A really great and challenging program! Prime took me from little to no experience in code to knowing an abundance of it in just 20 weeks! Really turned my life around for me!!
    The staff there is great, super helpful and is really genuine in caring about your education. Just all around they are amazing people. Plus you get the opportunity to meet amazing people in your cohort and stay connected!
  • Ailea • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I love Prime. They're always making sure you're getting the most out of the material. They treat you with respect and are always willing to help out. I asked so many questions and they were always ready to answer without making me feel stupid. They even talked me out of a downward spiral on a semi-regular basis.
  • Courtney Overby • Graduate
    Prime was a huge leap of faith for me, and I am so glad I did it. Prime is hard, but once you commit to it and you succeed, it is beyond gratifying. Scott and Myron are so personable and patient. They really understand what it takes to not only teach, but to learn as a student. Although it is meant to and stretch you, Scott and Myron are amazing instructors. They are patient, thorough, and care so much about their students. Rachael is on top of it all- she is truly such a help behind the scenes and with helping you get yourself ready to job hunt. All 3 of them tell it like it is, but go above and beyond to watch us succeed. I definitely miss it already.
  • luke ma • Graduate
    Up until this point in my life, i have not been so certain of most choices I made. Deciding to attend Prime Digital Academy was by far the most life changing.
  • Lindsay Thron • UX / UI Product Designer • Graduate
    Prime is an incredible program! I’m so happy I trusted them to help me level up and develop new skills. Their approach prepares students for careers well beyond UX methods and approaches. Some of the takeaways include engaged, genuinely caring staff; reminders that you are not your work; practicing progress over perfection; learning how to embrace a growth mindset; working with real clients on actual opportunities; identifying and leveraging one another’s strengths; channels for open, honest conversations; a mentorship program for additional support ...I could go on.

For context, my background includes a degree in graphic design from a traditional 4-year university. I’ve held multiple positions at companies ranging from corporate to startups were my responsibilities were skewed more towards either
    marketing and/or eCommerce. In 13 years since undergrad graduation I wasn’t able to establish a secure career path. This is what I was looking for.

Before applying to Prime I did research with people in UX roles to learn their path into the field; researched online programs; met with Prime alum; and had a call with a Prime staff member. Ultimately, I realized Prime was a path that would set me up for the most success – and I also didn’t want to be competing with Prime grads during the job hunt and/or in a role.

Fast-forward to being a graduate, the curriculum and support has more than adequately prepared me to take what I’ve learned and bring it into practice. When I was applying to jobs and interviewing Prime’s credibility allowed me have a much better response rate than I’ve experienced in the past, as well as stronger in-person conversations / interviews. I ended up receiving a job offer 2 weeks before graduation. Very happy I decided to attend Prime!
  • David S • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I attended Prime Digital Academy from Aug 2019 to January 2020.
    Amazing instructors and community. Solid technical instruction for people who are new to computers and for people who have programming experience.  Because of what I learned at Prime I got a job as a software engineer before graduation, started the next day.

I came in not knowing if Prime was the right choice, if "full-stack web development" was worthwhile and hoped it was rigorous enough. Prime exceeded my expectations, I learned a ton about programming concepts and was able to build development muscles with hundreds of hours of practice building projects.  Their carefully crafted curriculum offers a challenge to new learners and scales for people already comfortable with programming.

We learned React (the most popular web development front end library) but you also design databases and the necessary relationships/tables, build it and then integrate it into the server you've spun up to provide data to your front end.  Thinking like a front end designer made my APIs and Database Schemas better, thinking like a back end developer made my UIs better too.

Two other benefits of Prime are the career services and the network of other Prime grads.  I felt very supported applying for jobs and having a network of people to help me learn about workplaces in the Twin Cities.  The career services team gets each grad ready for the job application, interview, and negotiation process.  I was able to consult them on my job offer immediately after hearing from my recruiter. After talking to graduates of other boot camps this really sets Prime apart.

• Max Maher • Front End Developer • Graduate

It's very true that you will get out of your experience at Prime Digital Academy what you put into it, and that if you work hard it can be a life-changing experience.  I graduated in October 2019, and even as early as May I really didn't have any fundamental knowledge in JavaScript.  Now, I've recently accepted a Front End Developer position at a local company and can't believe the jumpstart this has been for my new career.

The atmosphere at Prime is incredibly caring.  Everyone wants you to succeed - your cohortmates, your instructors, the career development staff, everybody.  You will become very close with your cohort and they'll almost feel like family as you go through a rigorous curriculum.  Some of the greatest moments are when you get to start building a solo project and really see how much you can flex the new skills that you learned.  The curriculum is delivered at a quick, but manageable pace, and it won't take long for you to learn a whole lot.

I would have liked to have had more instructor feedback following the solo and group projects.  A lot of work goes into those, and I think we could have learned a lot with some good, constructive criticism following the completion of that work.  Additionally, I think it would have suited the curriculum well to spend more time on new React concepts (such as Hooks in React 16).  While that was introduced, it would have been good to have more practice working with React code in a way that deviated from the way we were used to it.  Finally, I think more assignmetns where the job is to read code that someone else has written and interpret what that code is doing would go a long way toward improving code literacy.

These are all very minor points of feedback - this program does an incredible job of teaching you how to think like a software developer, and provides you with the skills you need to grow professionally in this field.  I would absolutely recommend Prime for any person looking to get into software development as the way to go.

• James J • Graduate

I was looking for a career change. I had little to no coding knowlege before decided to go into Tech.  I had a not so favorable experience with a startup program that went under third way through the first class.  I explored other programs but found none that would put me in the best postion to earn a job in Tech.  Then I found Prime.

Prime Academy is a fullly fleshed out coding school.  You will learn to code, the theory of code, solo and team project building, industry networking, interviewing techniques and all things needed to gain employment.  The staff is knowledgeable, intuitive, passionate, caring and determined.  You will not only become a software engineer.  You will become a better more well rounded individual that will be a true asset to any prospective employer.

I am now fully confident that I am prepared for a long and productive career in Tech. All thanks to the outstanding staff and awesome program created by Prime Academy.

• Chase • Software Engineer at TravelNet Solutions • Student

I attended the Prime Digital Academy Software Engineering program in the beginning of 2019 and graduated in June. At first I felt unsure if this was going to be a smart decision because of the expense, but based on what I had heard about the program, I knew that I was paying for quality. I experienced this as soon as I visited the campus. I would show up to the campus during tier 1 just to get a feel for the buildings and for the people at prime. Nothing but welcoming hearts from every individual who worked there. None of them are the same, but they all have a common goal: *to see you succeed*. I spent a lot of time speaking with these people individually (Fred, Mary, Ally, Dane, and many current students.

It was a challenging program. I would not reccommend working while attending prime. On top of the work load, there are many curve-ball life challenges that I saw happening to pretty much everyone while I was there. Including staff. So many people had their own problems, and we all felt for them because it doesn't take long for your cohort to become a family. One of the things that Prime promotes is that you are engaged with your classmates so you get a true experiece of working with others, not in competition but in community.

To sum this up, expect to work hard in order to Read, Write, Speak, and Teach code. In the process, you'll have as many human experiences as you do machine.

• Nicholas Tourville • User Experience Designer • Graduate

I couldn't recommend Prime more highly. I was finishing up a PhD in philosophy and struggling on the academic job market when I decided to move back home to Minnesota and switch into an in-demand field. Prime quickly prepared me to become a UX designer and I got a great job within three weeks of graduating.

The Prime community and culture is fantastic. The instructors and staff are all exceptionally qualified, but you also learn a lot from fellow students and alumni (many alumni come back as mentors or guest lecturers). I felt motivated and supported throughout the program and even after graduation.

UX design is also a great field to get into from my experience. The work is fun and interesting, the people are great, and it pays well. If you're on the fence, apply now!

• Tony Gillen • UX Specialist at Granicus • Graduate

I had spent most of my professional career as a web generalist and have always wanted to get into user experience. Facing unemployment gave me time to examine what I really wanted to do and Prime Digital Academy gave me the opportunity to do it.

A curriculum taught by instructors with experience as professionals, the course work is very hands-on with projects from real-world clients allowing us to practice user experience. The program encourages progress over perfection with solid support in every step, which culminated in a high-level team project and presentation. Support staff prepared us for the job market with guidance in interviewing, resume writing, networking, and public speaker as well as our own personal development. Mentors also supported us with their own professional advice and portfolio critiques. In addition, learning alongside my cohort gave

My interview during career day, where I could really share my work and progression over my 18 weeks eventually led to my full-time position as a UX professional.

I am thankful for my experience at Prime and now get to work professionally doing something I love everyday.