prime-digital-academy-logo

Prime Digital Academy

Kansas City, Minneapolis

Prime Digital Academy

Prime Digital Academy offers an intensive, 20-week full-stack coding bootcamp and an 18-week UX design bootcamp in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Working directly with Twin Cities tech employers, Prime Digital Academy has created programs that equip emerging engineers and designers with the skills they need to make immediate contributions. Prime students learn modern technologies, practical methodologies, and critical behavioral skills through carefully crafted curriculum and real-world projects for pro-bono clients in the community. Prime’s immersive programs empower learners from diverse backgrounds to begin their new careers in months, not years.

Prime’s full-stack engineering course prepares students with the skills and hands-on experience to develop complex software to solve businesses problems. Prime’s user experience design curriculum prepares students with professional practice in research, design and prototype software that is usable and meaningful. Prime graduates have been hired by nearly 200 companies in Minnesota, and the tight-knit learning community continues long after graduation, with students participating in mentorship, community education and ongoing alumni career support.

Recent Prime Digital Academy Reviews: Rating 4.87

all (104) reviews for Prime Digital Academy →

Recent Prime Digital Academy News

Read all (4) articles about Prime Digital Academy →
  • Full Stack Engineering

LocationKansas City, Minneapolis
    Prime prepares our students to join the industry as entry-level software engineers through a program centered around a 14 week immersive classroom experience. We’ll use modern technologies like HTML / CSS, Javascript, AngularJS, React.js and Node.js to give you foundational knowledge in software engineering you’ll be apply in any technical environment.
    36 and 60 month financing plans available from SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7
    Scholarship$500 scholarship to student of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota, Minneapolis, and St. Paul grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
    Prep Work6 Weeks of required, flipped-classroom study and prep assignments.
  • User Experience Design

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationMinneapolis
    Prime’s 18-week immersive User Experience Design program was crafted to help people with interests in design, organization and technology build the foundational skills to start a career in user experience. Prime works hand-in-hand with industry employers to ensure that graduates are ready for the challenges of building complex experiences that are valuable for businesses and resonate with users.
    36 and 60 month financing terms available from SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7
    Scholarship$500 scholarship to each person of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota and Minneapolis grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
    Prep Work6 Weeks of Online Pre-Work
  • Prime ROCKS!
    - 2/28/2020
    Dane Schmidt  User Photo
    Dane Schmidt • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Prime Digital Academy changed my life.  Not only did I receive top level software engineering skills and practices, but they totally revolutionized the way I approach new topics and learn them.  The instructors here are top notch and willing to give any and all extra effort necessary to make sure that the students are understanding and comfortable with the materials discussed.

The classroom setting is awesome and very conductive to learning.  Not only did we do daily deep dives into some of the most cutting edge tech on the planet.  But we also learned a ton about different development styles, business practices and teamwork and communication.

I left Prime feeling empowered and fully setup for success in the future.  Prime taught me that I can learn and do anything I want as long as I have the right approach and set proper expectations for myself along the way.

I cant recommend Prime enough and I look forward to working with them in the future through mentor ship and other community activities.

Prime Digital Academy is life changing!
  • Iris Noh  User Photo
    Iris Noh • JavaScript Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I recently graduated in January 2020 and was offered two jobs a week after graduation (one I got offered 5 minutes before graduation!). 5 months ago I was working in what felt like a dead-end job in corporate wellness (where it's difficult to grow in career and salary) and am now working as a software engineer that is extremely rewarding, fun, great pay with TONS of growth opportunities. I never would've thought that I could be working as a software engineer and so quickly at that. I really attribute that to Prime.

My time at Prime Digital was such a wonderful experience. You can really learn how to code anywhere nowadays. Another bootcamp or on your own (there's so many online courses out there!) but Prime does an amazing job at creating a fully immersive atmosphere that is both challenging and incredibly rewarding. Prime also offers many opportunities and experiences that no one else does (career counseling, technical interview practice, real client projects, etc). On top of that, Prime Digital has an amazing reputation and network. Almost every job interview I went into has heard of Prime and what the students there are learning and capable of. The staff and instructors at Prime are all amazing as well. Super personable and you can tell they really care about each student there. They really equip you for success. Best bootcamp out there and gain more than just coding knowledge and skills coming out of it.

• Edith Emmings  User Photo
    Edith Emmings • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My first job after Prime is more than double what I was making prior as a research scientist in academia. It has truly changed my life.

Salary aside, Prime is extremely special. The cohort system brings together 15-22 strangers from entirely different backgrounds. Then we go through this intensive, transformative, journey where we become really close and supportive and trusting.

It is truly exposure to professional experience more than it is a "classroom." The project management methodologies and collaborative strategies used during our client project intentionally mimic the professional work place. We have relevant experience to speak to in interviews, and a sense of what to expect going into the work force.

The career support is incredible. We are coached on everything from how to approach a pod of people at a networking event, to building relationships with recruiters, to negotiating salary, cover letters, resumes, following up on applications. Prime was awesome and the best decision I ever made. I highly recommend.

• Truly special
    - 11/10/2019
    Macy  User Photo
    Macy • Student Verified via GitHub

I graduated from Prime in Nov 2019 and highly recommend the Full-stack Software Engineering bootcamp. The quality of the instructors, curriculum, and career support was top notch. Prime brings in speakers each week who are professional software developers, project managers, entrepreneurs, and recruiters in Kansas City. Our group project was an app for a local nonprofit that delivers fresh produce into food deserts. I was blown away by Prime's holistic approach; public speaking practice, Scott's learning framework ( self-awareness, humility, logic, action ), and mentorship all helped me grow as a person and a developer. I'm grateful to my cohort, the Prime staff, and all the folks that lent their time to help us grow into thoughtful developers.

I got 2 job offers and will start my new job just 2 weeks after graduation.

• Shanice   User Photo
    Shanice • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended Prime as a way to get the skills to get into Software Engineering and they give you so much more than that! The instructors come down to your level and explain concepts to you over and over again. You are never made to feel dumb for not knowing or understanding something. The staff is extremely helpful and approachable no matter what you need help in from crafting emails, to helping you understand an error in your code. This program is intense because you learn so much in 20 weeks but the instructors will literally be there every step of the way! I would do it again if they would let me lol

• Luke Becker  User Photo
    Luke Becker • Associate Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

Before coming to Prime, I was a year out after graduating from the University of Missouri with a Business degree. Always fascinated by the field of technology and not enjoying my current job, I began taking online classes and tutorials to teach myself how to code. Wanting to finally switch my career path, I began to research all kinds of coding bootcamps, both online and in-person. I had visits, meetings, and phone calls with many prospective bootcamps and they all felt eerily similar. I had a creeping suspicion that none of them genuinely cared about my success or were transparent about their curriculum/process, and all they really wanted was my money. Then, I met with the staff at Prime.

Now as corny as it sounds, right off the bat, I could feel that the people here were different. From the get-go they were incredibly transparent at what all I was going to get out of this intense experience and did just as much work to make sure I was good fit for them, as me making sure they were a good fit for me. I really liked how they were continuously adapting the curriculum to the newest technologies and to best fit the needs of the local market. They also seemed to actually care about what I had planned for my future and my success. After building my trust in the instructors from the meetings we had, I decided to pull the trigger, which was still nerve-racking because of the considerable investment.

20 weeks later and I have to say that my experience at Prime was one of the most positive and beneficial of my entire life. And I say this because this is NOT just a technical coding bootcamp. Prime's curriculum emphasizes the importance of so many other things outside of the technical spectrum–like communication, collaboration, speaking, the psychology behind being a great developer, and strategies for learning and growing as a person–while also providing you an unbelievable foundation for technical skills in the most current technologies. They also guide and emphasize the importance of networking, and to constantly be building friendships/mentorships around yourself and your community to help you grow as a software engineer. (You will consitently be visited by great local engineers and people working in tech within the area and are able to pick their brain about their career, which I really enjoyed).

Now I will also say it was also incredibly difficult at times and super demanding–you really have to have your priorities straight to commit to this level. There will definitely be times when you are humbled and you must be self-aware enough to let go of your pride. Despite this though, you are surrounded by great people to help pull you through these difficult times of doubts. Not just the instructors, but also your other classmates.

Returning full circle, Prime does truly care about you as a person and your success. And I really made this realization when I understood that the success of their business really depends on the success of their students. In a way, they are betting on you just as much as you are betting on them.

Business aside, I believe the staff are just honest, good people that really enjoy and get satisfaction out of helping people navigate what can be a difficult time in their lives. Even after being done with graduation, they have continued to stay connected with me and give me guidance. They have really enforced helping me stay involved with the entire community and connections they've built throughout program. I really appreciate this and look forward to staying connected with them for the future to come.

I am trying to think of negatives to not sound like a dang salesman here, but it's really hard. I guess my only feedback would be having more higher look lectures on the theory and concepts behind software engineering–mainly because I really found those super fascinating.

I know it's a big investment, but I promise you, if you are committed, you will get an unmatched bang for your buck. Also, if you have any more doubts, they had me placed before we even graduated, which is insane.

• Brandon Wiedemeier  User Photo
    Brandon Wiedemeier • Senior Business Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

A full intense immersion program of 20 weeks.  Focused in a multitude of technological languages, public speaking, diversity and inclusion, and creating a modern Software Engineer professional.  The instructors are very hands on and take an extream interest in your success.  Open to all, with any level of expierence, Prime for me has opened up doors I didnt even know exisited.  The whole Prime community, cirriculum, and expierence was mind blowing.  I can not recommend this program enough for those interested in a professional lifestyle change.  I LOVE PRIME!!

• Michael O'Donnell  User Photo
    Michael O'Donnell • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I could not be happier with my experience at Prime Digital Academy. From the first day, it was obvious how much the staff cared about my personal success. My instructor, Dane Smith, was incredibly patient and knowledgeable. Immersion programs are stressful and difficult, but the Prime staff keep you motivated and on-track. You can change your life so quickly with Prime, and I would wholeheartedly recommend this program to anyone and everyone who is ready for an incredible and transformative experience.

• Full-Stack Engineer
    - 10/24/2019
    Allyson Holdahl  User Photo
    Allyson Holdahl • Full-Stack Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Prime Digital Academy is a fully-immersive hands-on intensive computer program. There are two track options: 20-week Full-Stack Engineering or 18-week User Experience Design.

• Ben Ragsdale  User Photo
    Ben Ragsdale • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My experience at Prime was wonderful, challenging, gratifying. Everyone involved in the operation of Prime is invested in the positive outcomes of its students. The instructors, particularly my instructor Mary, are passionate, engaged, helpful, and empathetic. The assignments are, for the most part, well thought out, fun, and challenging.

A few notes of possible improvement:

1. Spend time during class on effectively navigating documentation
      1. This is a crucial skill in the workplace – to be able to effectively browse, skim documentation and find what you are looking for
      2. Could also include tips on navigating Stack Overflow

2. Instructor code reviews for solo and group projects
      1. Our weekend assignments and code challenges were reviewed by instructors. Those reviews were extremely helpful in guiding our work and promoting best practices
      2. Students need instructor reviews for their solo and group projects. The peer review process is great for reviewer and reviewee, but this should be combined with instructor review of projects. Mistakes, bad practices are often missed by peer reviewers because the peers aren’t aware of them or aren’t sure or are being polite. In any event, instructors have the authority and experience peers don’t yet have to point out problems
  • Jarvis  User Photo
    Jarvis • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I learned about the program from a friend of mine who completed it, and we had a lengthy conversation about his experience. This inspired me to continue researching about other programs that were out there, but I decided to go with this one because of the personal referral and the scholarship/funding options. Paying for the program took some luck and extensive planning. Make sure to apply for any local, state, or federal grants/scholarships. The application process gives you just a small taste of what is to come. Be very open to new things and do not be a jerk. This industry is fueled by collaboration, teamwork, and perseverance. Be curious and be hungry to learn! Imposter syndrome is REAL and you'll experience it very often but don't give up. Every day will be a new challenge so feel free to ask for help and give help if you can. The group learning approach is awesome! Good luck!

• Walter  User Photo
    Walter • QA Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Really amazing experience for me. The curriculum is technically rigorous with additional instruction in soft skills, job searching, networking etc. My instructors were amazing and staff members provided me with excellent advice in job searching. For Minneapolis job searchers an added bonus is access to the Prime alumni network which yielded me a couple interviews and eventually a job. Make sure to reseearch the MSP TechHire grant, it was the deciding factor for me attending.