prime-digital-academy-logo

Prime Digital Academy

Kansas City, Minneapolis

Prime Digital Academy

Prime Digital Academy offers an intensive, 20-week full-stack coding bootcamp and an 18-week UX design bootcamp in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Working directly with Twin Cities tech employers, Prime Digital Academy has created programs that equip emerging engineers and designers with the skills they need to make immediate contributions. Prime students learn modern technologies, practical methodologies, and critical behavioral skills through carefully crafted curriculum and real-world projects for pro-bono clients in the community. Prime’s immersive programs empower learners from diverse backgrounds to begin their new careers in months, not years.

Prime’s full-stack engineering course prepares students with the skills and hands-on experience to develop complex software to solve businesses problems. Prime’s user experience design curriculum prepares students with professional practice in research, design and prototype software that is usable and meaningful. Prime graduates have been hired by nearly 200 companies in Minnesota, and the tight-knit learning community continues long after graduation, with students participating in mentorship, community education and ongoing alumni career support.

Recent Prime Digital Academy Reviews: Rating 4.85

all (80) reviews for Prime Digital Academy →

Recent Prime Digital Academy News

Read all (4) articles about Prime Digital Academy →
  • Full Stack Engineering

LocationKansas City, Minneapolis
    Prime prepares our students to join the industry as entry-level software engineers through a program centered around a 14 week immersive classroom experience. We’ll use modern technologies like HTML / CSS, Javascript, AngularJS, React.js and Node.js to give you foundational knowledge in software engineering you’ll be apply in any technical environment.
    36 and 60 month financing plans available from SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7
    Scholarship$500 scholarship to student of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota, Minneapolis, and St. Paul grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
    Prep Work6 Weeks of required, flipped-classroom study and prep assignments.
  • User Experience Design

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationMinneapolis
    Prime’s 18-week immersive User Experience Design program was crafted to help people with interests in design, organization and technology build the foundational skills to start a career in user experience. Prime works hand-in-hand with industry employers to ensure that graduates are ready for the challenges of building complex experiences that are valuable for businesses and resonate with users.
    36 and 60 month financing terms available from SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7
    Scholarship$500 scholarship to each person of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota and Minneapolis grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
    Prep Work6 Weeks of Online Pre-Work

• Edith Emmings  User Photo
    Edith Emmings • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My first job after Prime is more than double what I was making prior as a research scientist in academia. It has truly changed my life.

Salary aside, Prime is extremely special. The cohort system brings together 15-22 strangers from entirely different backgrounds. Then we go through this intensive, transformative, journey where we become really close and supportive and trusting.

It is truly exposure to professional experience more than it is a "classroom." The project management methodologies and collaborative strategies used during our client project intentionally mimic the professional work place. We have relevant experience to speak to in interviews, and a sense of what to expect going into the work force.

The career support is incredible. We are coached on everything from how to approach a pod of people at a networking event, to building relationships with recruiters, to negotiating salary, cover letters, resumes, following up on applications. Prime was awesome and the best decision I ever made. I highly recommend.

• Truly special
    - 11/10/2019
    Macy  User Photo
    Macy • Student Verified via GitHub

I graduated from Prime in Nov 2019 and highly recommend the Full-stack Software Engineering bootcamp. The quality of the instructors, curriculum, and career support was top notch. Prime brings in speakers each week who are professional software developers, project managers, entrepreneurs, and recruiters in Kansas City. Our group project was an app for a local nonprofit that delivers fresh produce into food deserts. I was blown away by Prime's holistic approach; public speaking practice, Scott's learning framework ( self-awareness, humility, logic, action ), and mentorship all helped me grow as a person and a developer. I'm grateful to my cohort, the Prime staff, and all the folks that lent their time to help us grow into thoughtful developers.

I got 2 job offers and will start my new job just 2 weeks after graduation.

• Shanice   User Photo
    Shanice • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended Prime as a way to get the skills to get into Software Engineering and they give you so much more than that! The instructors come down to your level and explain concepts to you over and over again. You are never made to feel dumb for not knowing or understanding something. The staff is extremely helpful and approachable no matter what you need help in from crafting emails, to helping you understand an error in your code. This program is intense because you learn so much in 20 weeks but the instructors will literally be there every step of the way! I would do it again if they would let me lol

• Luke Becker  User Photo
    Luke Becker • Associate Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

Before coming to Prime, I was a year out after graduating from the University of Missouri with a Business degree. Always fascinated by the field of technology and not enjoying my current job, I began taking online classes and tutorials to teach myself how to code. Wanting to finally switch my career path, I began to research all kinds of coding bootcamps, both online and in-person. I had visits, meetings, and phone calls with many prospective bootcamps and they all felt eerily similar. I had a creeping suspicion that none of them genuinely cared about my success or were transparent about their curriculum/process, and all they really wanted was my money. Then, I met with the staff at Prime.

Now as corny as it sounds, right off the bat, I could feel that the people here were different. From the get-go they were incredibly transparent at what all I was going to get out of this intense experience and did just as much work to make sure I was good fit for them, as me making sure they were a good fit for me. I really liked how they were continuously adapting the curriculum to the newest technologies and to best fit the needs of the local market. They also seemed to actually care about what I had planned for my future and my success. After building my trust in the instructors from the meetings we had, I decided to pull the trigger, which was still nerve-racking because of the considerable investment.

20 weeks later and I have to say that my experience at Prime was one of the most positive and beneficial of my entire life. And I say this because this is NOT just a technical coding bootcamp. Prime's curriculum emphasizes the importance of so many other things outside of the technical spectrum–like communication, collaboration, speaking, the psychology behind being a great developer, and strategies for learning and growing as a person–while also providing you an unbelievable foundation for technical skills in the most current technologies. They also guide and emphasize the importance of networking, and to constantly be building friendships/mentorships around yourself and your community to help you grow as a software engineer. (You will consitently be visited by great local engineers and people working in tech within the area and are able to pick their brain about their career, which I really enjoyed).

Now I will also say it was also incredibly difficult at times and super demanding–you really have to have your priorities straight to commit to this level. There will definitely be times when you are humbled and you must be self-aware enough to let go of your pride. Despite this though, you are surrounded by great people to help pull you through these difficult times of doubts. Not just the instructors, but also your other classmates.

Returning full circle, Prime does truly care about you as a person and your success. And I really made this realization when I understood that the success of their business really depends on the success of their students. In a way, they are betting on you just as much as you are betting on them.

Business aside, I believe the staff are just honest, good people that really enjoy and get satisfaction out of helping people navigate what can be a difficult time in their lives. Even after being done with graduation, they have continued to stay connected with me and give me guidance. They have really enforced helping me stay involved with the entire community and connections they've built throughout program. I really appreciate this and look forward to staying connected with them for the future to come.

I am trying to think of negatives to not sound like a dang salesman here, but it's really hard. I guess my only feedback would be having more higher look lectures on the theory and concepts behind software engineering–mainly because I really found those super fascinating.

I know it's a big investment, but I promise you, if you are committed, you will get an unmatched bang for your buck. Also, if you have any more doubts, they had me placed before we even graduated, which is insane.

• Brandon Wiedemeier  User Photo
    Brandon Wiedemeier • Senior Business Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

A full intense immersion program of 20 weeks.  Focused in a multitude of technological languages, public speaking, diversity and inclusion, and creating a modern Software Engineer professional.  The instructors are very hands on and take an extream interest in your success.  Open to all, with any level of expierence, Prime for me has opened up doors I didnt even know exisited.  The whole Prime community, cirriculum, and expierence was mind blowing.  I can not recommend this program enough for those interested in a professional lifestyle change.  I LOVE PRIME!!

• Michael O'Donnell  User Photo
    Michael O'Donnell • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I could not be happier with my experience at Prime Digital Academy. From the first day, it was obvious how much the staff cared about my personal success. My instructor, Dane Smith, was incredibly patient and knowledgeable. Immersion programs are stressful and difficult, but the Prime staff keep you motivated and on-track. You can change your life so quickly with Prime, and I would wholeheartedly recommend this program to anyone and everyone who is ready for an incredible and transformative experience.

• Full-Stack Engineer
    - 10/24/2019
    Allyson Holdahl  User Photo
    Allyson Holdahl • Full-Stack Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Prime Digital Academy is a fully-immersive hands-on intensive computer program. There are two track options: 20-week Full-Stack Engineering or 18-week User Experience Design.

• Ben Ragsdale  User Photo
    Ben Ragsdale • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My experience at Prime was wonderful, challenging, gratifying. Everyone involved in the operation of Prime is invested in the positive outcomes of its students. The instructors, particularly my instructor Mary, are passionate, engaged, helpful, and empathetic. The assignments are, for the most part, well thought out, fun, and challenging.

A few notes of possible improvement:

1. Spend time during class on effectively navigating documentation
      1. This is a crucial skill in the workplace – to be able to effectively browse, skim documentation and find what you are looking for
      2. Could also include tips on navigating Stack Overflow

2. Instructor code reviews for solo and group projects
      1. Our weekend assignments and code challenges were reviewed by instructors. Those reviews were extremely helpful in guiding our work and promoting best practices
      2. Students need instructor reviews for their solo and group projects. The peer review process is great for reviewer and reviewee, but this should be combined with instructor review of projects. Mistakes, bad practices are often missed by peer reviewers because the peers aren’t aware of them or aren’t sure or are being polite. In any event, instructors have the authority and experience peers don’t yet have to point out problems
  • Jarvis  User Photo
    Jarvis • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I learned about the program from a friend of mine who completed it, and we had a lengthy conversation about his experience. This inspired me to continue researching about other programs that were out there, but I decided to go with this one because of the personal referral and the scholarship/funding options. Paying for the program took some luck and extensive planning. Make sure to apply for any local, state, or federal grants/scholarships. The application process gives you just a small taste of what is to come. Be very open to new things and do not be a jerk. This industry is fueled by collaboration, teamwork, and perseverance. Be curious and be hungry to learn! Imposter syndrome is REAL and you'll experience it very often but don't give up. Every day will be a new challenge so feel free to ask for help and give help if you can. The group learning approach is awesome! Good luck!

• Walter  User Photo
    Walter • QA Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Really amazing experience for me. The curriculum is technically rigorous with additional instruction in soft skills, job searching, networking etc. My instructors were amazing and staff members provided me with excellent advice in job searching. For Minneapolis job searchers an added bonus is access to the Prime alumni network which yielded me a couple interviews and eventually a job. Make sure to reseearch the MSP TechHire grant, it was the deciding factor for me attending.

• Julie Zembik  User Photo
    Julie Zembik • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Prime was a great experience! They have a solid foundation of teaching, encouraging you to be independant while learning a skillset, and improving your soft skills! I graduated in March 2019 and I wish I did this sooner!

The environment at Prime Digital Academy is very supportive and their door is always open to you. They want you to succeed in many ways. Along with teaching you the MERN stack, they help with soft skills like public speaking, paired programming, code reviews, and livesolves. They also have great career development opportunities such as inviting recruiters to come help review your resumes, have working Alumnis and outside industry personnel come volunteer their time to be your mentors, hosting intimate seminars about various techs, and at graduation, host a career day to have you speak with Tech Recruiters! There is support after graduation too!

Going through Prime Digital Academy might not be for everyone as it's fast paced and if you prefer a more traditional form of learning, this may not be right for you.

• Konou Vang  User Photo
    Konou Vang • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Enrolling into Prime Digital Academy Kansas City has truly the best decision I have made in my life. Today was graduation and I was happier today than I was when I received my Bachelors or my Masters. Words cannot sum up the value of what I learned, not just coding but personally as well. Now that I got my personal feeling about this program out of the way, I want to dive into what I have learned technically.

I built a full stack fully functional application that incorporates AWS that I use in my business. I then worked in a four member team to build a fully functional application to serve a client's need that incorporated the use of Google Calendar API and Twilio API! That's TWO APPLICATIONS that are in use! How many bootcamps can claim that?! That's just a part of the professional technical skills they teach. They also work on speech using the Toastmaster's method and taught us how to fail so that we can succeed. I'm not going to lie when I say that I don't get nervous to present in front of a crowd, but failing in front of my peers allowed me to succeed on the big presentation day.

Prime Digital Academy is the embodiment of Furious Learning. The instructors make sure that we are emotionally ready to learn, they lecture, and then give us assignments to reinforce and retain the information. It's not a joke when I say that you could be spending 60 to 80 hours a week on the accumulation of those assignments and weekend challenges.

I can only give the staff 5 stars but I wish I can rate them higher because they gave up 110%. Truly amazing people!

Prime might not be for everyone but when you put in the time and effort, it will change your life.

• Austin Burgard  User Photo
    Austin Burgard • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Prime is amazing and the best decision I've made in my professional life.

TL;DR

Prime is a full-time, intensive program. It doesn't fit everybody's learning style or life situation. As I began to look into software engineering I was uncertain about many of the options in Kansas City. I was even more wary of my online options, not because they aren't good (I have no experience with them) but because of my learning style.

I came across Prime while doing research on local programs and I set up an appointment that forever changed the trajectory of my life. This program is not easy. The instructors will push you to the point of failure. I wish I would've known that because then it would've made my first few weeks a bit more bearable. But it's when you get to the point of failure that you're ready to learn.

The instructors take massive amounts of personal time to help whenever there is a question but you have to be willing to ask. You can't get help until you put your pride away and ask. They bring in tech companies from the community, they teach how to speak, and they enable us to do real projects that help real clients.

We learn full-stack JavaScript. The curriculum goes deeper than any other program I've researched. We go deep into JavaScript, React, Redux, Node, SQL, etc. As I said, this isn't for the faint of heart and you will be pushed. You'll need to rely on your fellow team members, the instructors, and your support system. If you can't make it through the program you only pay for what you were taught. So, yes it's expensive, it's full-time, but it takes that kind of commitment to become a good software engineer and transition to a new career. Take the risk on yourself, you won't regret it.

I loved the cohort I was in. We all came from diverse backgrounds and that enabled us to work well together. There were times of friction, as in any group, but we rallied and encouraged each other to press on and now we're graduating.

Prime cares deeply for its students. I have never encountered a more helpful and loving group of people. One of the major positives is that they don't leave you after you graduate. They stick by your side and keep you accountable. They give you all the tools you need to succeed and are by your side every step of the way.

Prime not only made me into a software engineer but they helped me to grow as a person. I was pushed like never before, I wanted to quit on day 2, but I trusted the system and I'm incredibly thankful I did. I'm forever grateful to the wonderful people at Prime KC. They're amazing people, instructors, and friends.

• "Prime Is Real"
    - 5/21/2019
    Ben Pollack  User Photo
    Ben Pollack • UX/UI Designer for Thomson Reuters • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

That was a quote from one of my cohortmates. Prime really is the best decision I could have made to transition my life as an adult switching careers. Before this program I was working paycheck to paycheck doing dead end retail and food service jobs. Having a degree in Grpahic Design, I understood the WHAT of design but Prime really teaches the WHY of design. The instructors, Ange and Kyre and Bryce, are so knowledgeable and really have your back. All of the staff at Prime are helpful and truly want you to succeed. The comeraderie amonst cohortmates and staff is unparalleled. One motto that seems to permeate through the entire schooling is "we all succeed as long as EVERYONE succeeds". One thing I had heard about bootcamps was the cut-throat nature of them. Prime is the direct opposite of that. Even alumni students truly WANT you to succeed. The program is intense, long hours, but so well worth it. I was able to find a job right away (in fact I got the job offer the day of graduation) and the staff is so helpful in finding something that is right for each student.

• Sarah B.   User Photo
    Sarah B. • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prime was one of the best decisions of my career. I went from having no coding experience to having a job as a software engineer in six months. I would defiantly recommend this program to anyone who is willing to put their time and all energy into learning code.

• Jonny  User Photo
    Jonny • UX Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prime helped give me the foundation I needed to become a UX Designer in the industry as well as networking and mentor opportunities.

If you put in the time and effort, you'll be rewarded.

The staff is invested in seeing you succeed and the instructors are awesome.

• Carina A. Lofgren  User Photo
    Carina A. Lofgren • UX Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prime gives you a blueprint, building tools and all the consultation you can ask for. It is up to you what to do with it.

Prime is structured enough to give you an appropriate scope of the many facets of the UX process, but flexible enough to allow you to explore areas that interest you most.

Prime not only prepares you to be a UXer but also to be a competitive and knowledgeable candidate in the industry. If you put in the work, there will be results.

I am happy to say two months after graduating I am happily employed!

Undoubtedly worth it.

• Life Changing
    - 11/2/2017
    Eric Austin  User Photo
    Eric Austin • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I don't know how else to describe it.
    In 20 weeks I went from being a competent computer user to designing and writing fully functional computer programs.
    Trust the curriculum, trust the instructors, trust the staff. They all want to see you succeed.
    I would recommend this program to anyone.

• Lisa Schoofs  User Photo
    Lisa Schoofs Verified via LinkedIn

If you’re in the Twin Cities and are serious about getting into software development, this is absolutely the place to go.

The curriculum is here legit. It’s been carefully crafted, and is continually improved upon. They teach full-stack Javascript, but they do an excellent job teaching you the broader concepts in programming. They set you up for success after school by teaching you how to teach yourself new technologies - a skill that is immensely valuable in a field that is always changing. I was a part of the first cohort to go through their software development program since it switched from 18 weeks to 20 weeks. I thought the additions they’ve made were great - there’s a solid introduction to OOP, more insights & material for ongoing career success/getting a job, and I think the overall pacing of the in-classroom time benefitted greatly from the change.

The people that come through the door here are great. The staff are amazing, and are genuinely invested in your success & well-being. I think your experience could vary a little bit based on the cohort you’re with and your primary instructors. I happened to hit the jackpot, and had a phenomenal group of people to learn alongside and instructors to learn from. We got a chance to interface with most of the instructors at some point during the program, benefitting from their various experiences & coding styles.

They do a great job of setting you up for success post-Prime. While you’re in school, they offer support on resumes, networking, LinkedIn, etc. They set you up with mentors in the industry. When you’re done with school, the support continues. Plus, you have a network of Prime grads that are happy to help others out with continued learning and connections.

If you think this might be the place for you, I’d definitely recommend stopping by for an open house or giving them a call. And/or just apply and see what happens. You won’t regret it.

• Keith Tomlinson  User Photo
    Keith Tomlinson • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prime Academy was a life changing experience. It is a weird place, in beautiful way.

Every piece of Prime Academy is intentionally designed. The courses were designed by a true educator, someone who considers how people best learn and removes all pretense of formality focusing solely on the student's success.

It is a challenging experience and should only be entered into by people who are committed 100%. It takes everything you have, but the gains are massive.

Prime cares about its community and the impact those people will have on the greater world. This place knows that collaboration, not competition, is where the real joy exists. Relationships and soft skills are highly empasized. Get ready to be a seasoned public speaker!

I would start again tomorrow.

• Max Maher • Front End Developer • Graduate

It's very true that you will get out of your experience at Prime Digital Academy what you put into it, and that if you work hard it can be a life-changing experience.  I graduated in October 2019, and even as early as May I really didn't have any fundamental knowledge in JavaScript.  Now, I've recently accepted a Front End Developer position at a local company and can't believe the jumpstart this has been for my new career.

The atmosphere at Prime is incredibly caring.  Everyone wants you to succeed - your cohortmates, your instructors, the career development staff, everybody.  You will become very close with your cohort and they'll almost feel like family as you go through a rigorous curriculum.  Some of the greatest moments are when you get to start building a solo project and really see how much you can flex the new skills that you learned.  The curriculum is delivered at a quick, but manageable pace, and it won't take long for you to learn a whole lot.

I would have liked to have had more instructor feedback following the solo and group projects.  A lot of work goes into those, and I think we could have learned a lot with some good, constructive criticism following the completion of that work.  Additionally, I think it would have suited the curriculum well to spend more time on new React concepts (such as Hooks in React 16).  While that was introduced, it would have been good to have more practice working with React code in a way that deviated from the way we were used to it.  Finally, I think more assignmetns where the job is to read code that someone else has written and interpret what that code is doing would go a long way toward improving code literacy.

These are all very minor points of feedback - this program does an incredible job of teaching you how to think like a software developer, and provides you with the skills you need to grow professionally in this field.  I would absolutely recommend Prime for any person looking to get into software development as the way to go.

• James J • Graduate

I was looking for a career change. I had little to no coding knowlege before decided to go into Tech.  I had a not so favorable experience with a startup program that went under third way through the first class.  I explored other programs but found none that would put me in the best postion to earn a job in Tech.  Then I found Prime.

Prime Academy is a fullly fleshed out coding school.  You will learn to code, the theory of code, solo and team project building, industry networking, interviewing techniques and all things needed to gain employment.  The staff is knowledgeable, intuitive, passionate, caring and determined.  You will not only become a software engineer.  You will become a better more well rounded individual that will be a true asset to any prospective employer.

I am now fully confident that I am prepared for a long and productive career in Tech. All thanks to the outstanding staff and awesome program created by Prime Academy.

• Chase • Software Engineer at TravelNet Solutions • Student

I attended the Prime Digital Academy Software Engineering program in the beginning of 2019 and graduated in June. At first I felt unsure if this was going to be a smart decision because of the expense, but based on what I had heard about the program, I knew that I was paying for quality. I experienced this as soon as I visited the campus. I would show up to the campus during tier 1 just to get a feel for the buildings and for the people at prime. Nothing but welcoming hearts from every individual who worked there. None of them are the same, but they all have a common goal: *to see you succeed*. I spent a lot of time speaking with these people individually (Fred, Mary, Ally, Dane, and many current students.

It was a challenging program. I would not reccommend working while attending prime. On top of the work load, there are many curve-ball life challenges that I saw happening to pretty much everyone while I was there. Including staff. So many people had their own problems, and we all felt for them because it doesn't take long for your cohort to become a family. One of the things that Prime promotes is that you are engaged with your classmates so you get a true experiece of working with others, not in competition but in community.

To sum this up, expect to work hard in order to Read, Write, Speak, and Teach code. In the process, you'll have as many human experiences as you do machine.

• Nicholas Tourville • User Experience Designer • Graduate

I couldn't recommend Prime more highly. I was finishing up a PhD in philosophy and struggling on the academic job market when I decided to move back home to Minnesota and switch into an in-demand field. Prime quickly prepared me to become a UX designer and I got a great job within three weeks of graduating.

The Prime community and culture is fantastic. The instructors and staff are all exceptionally qualified, but you also learn a lot from fellow students and alumni (many alumni come back as mentors or guest lecturers). I felt motivated and supported throughout the program and even after graduation.

UX design is also a great field to get into from my experience. The work is fun and interesting, the people are great, and it pays well. If you're on the fence, apply now!

• Tony Gillen • UX Specialist at Granicus • Graduate

I had spent most of my professional career as a web generalist and have always wanted to get into user experience. Facing unemployment gave me time to examine what I really wanted to do and Prime Digital Academy gave me the opportunity to do it.

A curriculum taught by instructors with experience as professionals, the course work is very hands-on with projects from real-world clients allowing us to practice user experience. The program encourages progress over perfection with solid support in every step, which culminated in a high-level team project and presentation. Support staff prepared us for the job market with guidance in interviewing, resume writing, networking, and public speaker as well as our own personal development. Mentors also supported us with their own professional advice and portfolio critiques. In addition, learning alongside my cohort gave

My interview during career day, where I could really share my work and progression over my 18 weeks eventually led to my full-time position as a UX professional.

I am thankful for my experience at Prime and now get to work professionally doing something I love everyday.