prime-digital-academy-logo

Prime Digital Academy

Kansas City, Minneapolis

Prime Digital Academy

Prime Digital Academy offers an intensive, 20-week full-stack coding bootcamp and an 18-week UX design bootcamp in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Working directly with Twin Cities tech employers, Prime Digital Academy has created programs that equip emerging engineers and designers with the skills they need to make immediate contributions. Prime students learn modern technologies, practical methodologies, and critical behavioral skills through carefully crafted curriculum and real-world projects for pro-bono clients in the community. Prime’s immersive programs empower learners from diverse backgrounds to begin their new careers in months, not years.

Prime’s full-stack engineering course prepares students with the skills and hands-on experience to develop complex software to solve businesses problems. Prime’s user experience design curriculum prepares students with professional practice in research, design and prototype software that is usable and meaningful. Prime graduates have been hired by nearly 200 companies in Minnesota, and the tight-knit learning community continues long after graduation, with students participating in mentorship, community education and ongoing alumni career support.

Recent Prime Digital Academy Reviews: Rating 4.87

all (103) reviews for Prime Digital Academy →

Recent Prime Digital Academy News

Read all (4) articles about Prime Digital Academy →
  • Full Stack Engineering

LocationKansas City, Minneapolis
    Prime prepares our students to join the industry as entry-level software engineers through a program centered around a 14 week immersive classroom experience. We’ll use modern technologies like HTML / CSS, Javascript, AngularJS, React.js and Node.js to give you foundational knowledge in software engineering you’ll be apply in any technical environment.
    36 and 60 month financing plans available from SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7
    Scholarship$500 scholarship to student of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota, Minneapolis, and St. Paul grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
    Prep Work6 Weeks of required, flipped-classroom study and prep assignments.
  • User Experience Design

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationMinneapolis
    Prime’s 18-week immersive User Experience Design program was crafted to help people with interests in design, organization and technology build the foundational skills to start a career in user experience. Prime works hand-in-hand with industry employers to ensure that graduates are ready for the challenges of building complex experiences that are valuable for businesses and resonate with users.
    36 and 60 month financing terms available from SkillsFund and Climb Credit
    Tuition PlansPay $1500 Deposit and remaining balance in Week 7
    Scholarship$500 scholarship to each person of color accepted into the program. Additional Minnesota and Minneapolis grant-based tuition support may be available for eligible accepted students.
    Prep Work6 Weeks of Online Pre-Work
  • Alex Calvillo  User Photo
    Alex Calvillo • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    To set the stage, Prime Digital Academy isn't a school that just accepts your money and says "sure take a ride." It's student focused and goes through a process to not only ensure your success (as long as you are willing to work for it), but sets you up with skills beyond "traditional" schooling. This is certainly the most technically and brain bending curriculum I've been challenged with, but it has also been the most rewarding. And after you've finished a challenging lecture, you move into an instruction block to improve your own self-development outside of tech. This is what sets it apart. The student as a whole, even less as a student and more as a software engineer entering the field; that's the difference. I feel just as prepared if not more than CS grads I know and can't wait for the next steps.
  • David Walton  User Photo
    David Walton • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Not going to drag this out but I quit a career after 18 years, went out on a limb, and signed up for this and I could not have asked for anything better.  100% the instructors care and want you to succeed.  It isn't easy, you have to do things you won't want to do, but you will grow.  Do it.  Yourself 5 months from now would thank you.
  • Adam  User Photo
    Adam • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I started researching education in software engineering, I was torn between a boot camp or finishing my 4 year degree.  I come from a home that greatly values a 4 year degree so I was a little skeptical about a 20 week boot camp.  I also had looked at all of the reviews on this site and had a really hard time believing that so many people could have so many positive things to say, it really seemed too good to be true.  I love doing research, so I started going over all of the boot camps in the area trying to find out what would be the best.  My research repeatedly led me back to Prime, so I finally decided to send them an email and set up a meeting.  I'll be honest, $15,000 is a lot of money to me and even after the meeting I was still really nervous.  It's not nice to say, but the only thing that calmed my anxiety was that they had a very fair refund policy!

But let's be fair, if you're reading this you're in the same boat as I was.  It's a scary step to take.  I'm so glad that I took it though.  The curriculum goes deep into the technologies that they teach.  I spent 3 years at a major technological university and I think we were deeper into technology in about 6 weeks.  They teach each topic fully enough that by the end of the week I would be confident that I could move on to the next section without issue.  They also exposed us to additional technologies that they didn't teach, but instead challenged us to learn and apply to what we were building.

The instructors were fantastic.  We developed a very close relationship with them which made it very easy to ask the questions we needed to ask.  Our group had to do remote learning due to Covid-19, but the instructors went out of their way to make sure we were communicating with them and each other.  I don't think there was a time that I didn't feel supported whether it was with my education or searching for a job.

As far a job assistance, no they are not just going to hand you a job when you complete the course.  But what they will do is put you in a great position to find a job.  The education they provide is centered around what many employers find important.  They also do weekly job search trainings where they assist you with cleaning up or creating your resume and prepare you for finding a job.  They put us in touch with a mentor group who give us a different perspective of getting employed in the software development field.

As a student, you have to know that the course is immersive.  To say that it is full time is an understatement.  In the second and third tier, you must be certain that you can dedicate around 60 hours or more each week to your education.  Some of the base content takes less time, but there are always a lot of "stretch" goals that solidify the understanding of the topics that are very important to attempt to complete.  The course requires a lot of patience.  There are times that you will feel frustrated, and that's not unusual.  It's not uncommon to feel overwhelmed by a topic on Thursday, only to be very comfortable with the topic by the following Monday.  Just know that there are tons of resources there for you to use and sometimes you have to swallow your pride, ask questions, and trust the program.

Overall, I am so glad that I decided to attend Prime.  The education I received has put me in a great position to get a better job and the support continues on past graduation.  I feel like the decision to come here has positively impacted my life and has set me on the path to success.
  • Colby  User Photo
    Colby • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Are you ready to grow? To challenge yourself? To invest in your future? To affect change and to create opportunity - for yourself and for others? To build both a career and a community? To learn skills that can be applied in any field, business, or industry?

Did you answer yes? Then consider Prime Digital Academy for an experience that will enrich you both professionally and personally. I did - and I have grown, I have been challenged, I have invested, and I have built. As a recent graduate, this is just the beginning, in the best possible way and I am confident and well prepared for it.

This program asks you to commit. To succeed, you HAVE to commit - know this going in. What is required? 20 intensive weeks (including most weekends for coding challenges that you do on your own) so consider if this is something you can do without exception and if this is a good time in your life. Be realistic and know there several cohorts each year so if you aren't quite ready now, you have options! Reach out to Prime and have a conversation.

After that conversation, the application process is the first place to start. Even if you don't have coding experience, they provide you with tutorials that include what you need to accomplish the assessment tasks. The application is a pretty good indicator of whether this is the right direction for you. If you genuinely enjoy the application tasks and find yourself inspired, then you may be on the right path. Did you find those tasks hard? That's ok, don't rule yourself out just because of that. Keep reading and I'll explain why.

Hard is ok. If you are accepted and enroll, you will learn to embrace hard - but you won't be doing it alone. You will be supported by a generous and incredible network of staff, peers, mentors, and alumni and you WILL learn to rely on them. The sooner you learn to trust yourself, your progress, your decision to do Prime, and all those people I just mentioned, the more you will get out of Prime. You will explore and dig for strength and capability you might not have known you possess. You will discover a whole new way to learn that you haven't experienced before, and that learning will be meaningful. I have a background in higher education so believe me when I say Prime is a refreshing, engaging, holistic approach of applied learning and discovery.

The skills and technologies Prime teaches are relevant and keep current with the job market. How do I know this? Because local working professionals serve as mentors, guest speakers, and participate in mock interviews. They tell it like it is, sharing what their day-to-day is like. Because Prime is a part of the community. Prime hosts events (remote and in-person). Prime has community partners. During Prime you work on real projects, real solutions - including one for a local non-profit. This is as real as it gets.

Only you know you. Take an inventory of where you are and where you want to be. Ask questions, research, put yourself out there. That's what I did and now I am proud to be a Prime graduate. I am looking forward to my career as a full-stack software engineer - that sounds pretty good, right? Now it's your turn.
  • Cole Chelton  User Photo
    Cole Chelton • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    Prime Digital Academy was game changing. It's an extremely intense program that has prepared me for my career in software development. Prime taught me so much, and the staff is incredibly supportive. Prime also gave me a wonderful introduction into the tech community here in Kansas City as well. Also, I never would've imagined that I'd come out of Prime with the professional network I have now.
  • It's been amazing
    - 6/18/2020
    Hyunsu Kim  User Photo
    Hyunsu Kim • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I was looking for a coding boot camp, Prime's graduates told me it's worth every single dime which seemed hard to believe. Now that I went through the program, I find myself agreeing with them. What I loved about this program is that this program doesn't just teach how to code. You get to practice speeches every week which will prepare you to be a better professional. Also, you will have a guest speaker every week as well which will allow you to hear from professionals from the industry who all have different backgrounds and different positions. This is definitely a well-rounded program and definitely recommend it!
  • Deanna Riddle  User Photo
    Deanna Riddle • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Prime Digital Academy is a fully immersive Bootcamp. It will change your life positively in all fashions. Not only will you learn to program and become a software engineer. You learn about yourself, the science behind learning, and how to overcome mental blocks.  Prime is a lifestyle. It is "A Hard School for Smart People." The instructors Scott Bromander & Myron Schippers are the best teachers I have experienced in all my education. Racheal Bromander is a networking/placement guru, and our biggest supporter. If you follow the program and listen, you will succeed. Prime Digital Academy was the best decision I have made to date for my professional career!
  • Ursus Cohort
    - 6/18/2020
    Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Verified via LinkedIn
    Prime was an incredible experience. From the beginning, I could tell the instructors really cared about the success of each one of us and that never let up throughout the 20-week program. I'm writing this review after graduating during Covid-19, and I can say that Prime has prepared me for the job hunt by drilling in both technical skills and soft skills. If you're on the fence about a coding boot camp or looking for a career in software development consider Prime as your prime choice.
  • Dustin Fedie  User Photo
    Dustin Fedie • Sr Software Programmer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I wish I had gone through Prime sooner. As others note, it is an intense 20 week immersion program designed to get you acquainted with software development. They prepare you not only with the technical skills necessary, but also the personal and "soft" skills that often go underappreciated in a modern workplace. The staff are ridiculously generous and care deeply about your success. Do not doubt yourself; the staff at Prime surely won't. They teach you to believe in yourself and are there to offer support in any way they can.

You will come through the other side a better person, with skills in an amazing field that is in high demand. I highly recommend Prime to anyone looking for a new career. You do not need to be a "techhie"; anyone can find their stride and succeed here.
  • Tyto Cohort
    - 2/28/2020
    Joshua Ganote  User Photo
    Joshua Ganote • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was a barista for five years looking for a more creative role that didn't feel like I was making the same thing every day. I went to a HTML/CSS workshop one night and made the decision to apply after that. The staff seemed to really enjoy what they were doing and they cared about helping me reach my goals. The program can be difficult at times, but the support from the staff and my classmates made it so that I never felt alone or that I wasn't keeping up. By the end of the program, we were all family, and it will be tough to not see them every day. I had one job offer by the end of the program, and I was also in various stages of interviewing with other companies by graduation. The program works if you show up and do the work.

I was apart of the third cohort in Kansas City. We graduated on February 28, 2020
  • Travis Johnston  User Photo
    Travis Johnston • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I recently graduated from Prime and it was one of the best experiences of my life! I have friends that have attended similar boot camps and they have all said that the curriculum at Prime is way more in-depth. The staff at Prime are amazing and will set you up to succeed in the tech industry. Beyond that, they will teach you valuable soft/life skills. I can't say enough good things about Prime. If you’re wanting to break into the development industry I HIGHLY recommend attending Prime!!!