practicum-logo

Practicum

Practicum

Practicum is a 30-46 week, online coding bootcamp offering tracks in Data Science, Data Analysis, and Software Engineer and aimed at sparking career change. Each bootcamp includes full access to an interactive online platform, real-life projects, tutor support from experienced developers, code reviews, online webinars, and live-coding sessions. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if a student doesn't secure a position within six months of graduating, Practicum guarantees to refund their money.

Practicum is open to students of all experience levels. The only requirement is a high school diploma.

With an average employment rate of 71%, Practicum’s career acceleration program provides graduates with the competitive edge they need to succeed. From resume-building to job offer negotiation, Practicum supports their students and graduates every step of the way. Students graduate with professional certificates and portfolios with 6-15 projects to show to potential employers. Practicum graduates have landed tech jobs at companies, such as Tesla, Accenture, Nielsen, and Microsoft.

Recent Practicum Reviews: Rating 4.83

all (156) reviews for Practicum →

Recent Practicum News

• Data Analyst

Data Analytics , Data Structures, Data Visualization, Python, SQL
      Start Date June 16, 2022
      Over this 6-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data analyst and build a portfolio of 12 projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from various industries (e-commerce, taxi services, advertising, and more) and are designed to highlight a range of skills relevant to business analytics, hypothesis testing, and presenting results. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      Tuition PlansUpfront cost: $8,500; Monthly cost: $1,250
      June 16, 2022 - Online
    • Data Scientist

Start Date June 16, 2022
      Over this 9-month course, you will master the skills required to become a data scientist and build a portfolio of 15+ projects. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. The projects are based on real data from a range of industries: e-commerce, taxi services, mining, and more. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      Tuition PlansUpfront cost: $11,000; Monthly cost: $1,400
      June 16, 2022 - Online

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, Node.js, SQL
      Start Date June 23, 2022
      Over this 10-month course, you'll acquire the skills you need to become an excellent software engineer. Practicum stands on the quality of the programs; if you don't secure a position within six months of graduating, we'll refund your money — guaranteed. Theory and practice will take place on our interactive platform. You'll work on six real, industry-level projects: a webpage made with HTML & CSS; an adaptive website; an interactive social network; a website built with React, a back-end server using Node.js; and a full-fledged independent web application. Each project you submit will be checked line-by-line by an industry professional. Their feedback will help you polish your work and make sure your portfolio stands out to employers. In addition to educational projects, you will work on case studies for real companies, add professional-level projects to your portfolio. Students will have the opportunity to enroll in our free Career Prep Course and Career Acceleration Program. More than 5,000 students have already chosen Practicum. With your community of peers always accessible via Slack, expert technical assistance, and ongoing emotional support, you'll never feel alone.
      Tuition PlansUpfront cost: $8,900; Monthly cost: $950
      June 23, 2022 - Online
    • Kerwin Thompson  User Photo
      Kerwin Thompson • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Practicum thus far. The content is quite engaging, and the community support is extremely warm and encouraging.
      You can be confident that even if you have little knowledge or no prior experience with web development, you will be taught from the ground up and will receive unwavering support without falling behind.
      To begin with, the price is very reasonable when compared to other Bootcamps, and you can pay in installments. They also have the premise that if you do not get hired within six months of graduating, your investment will be returned. This tells me where their focus is.
      The program is quite extensive. It covers a wide range of topics, including how to manage your time and resources, developer roles and functions, and an in-depth look at your career path as a developer. Practicum has their own custom platform for reading each lesson and practicing code. It’s quite engaging and well structured.
      It’s divided into sections called sprints. Each sprint includes a project that puts your newly acquired knowledge to the test. They are intriguingly difficult, but you are never alone; your tutor is always available to help you when you need it.
      Practicum has an online student guide that contains insightful information as well as literally everything you need to know about their program. Study planning, sprint schedules, recordings of live coding webinars and career conferences, extracurriculars such as Apiary, Code Jams, Senior Student Opportunities; student perks, and more.
      Deadlines are given for completing each section, and the time allotted is reasonable. When your code is reviewed and passed, you will feel a sense of accomplishment. I must say that the code reviewers are first-rate, and they ensure that your code meets industry standards.
      I went into the course thinking I knew enough about CSS and HTML and couldn't wait to get started on the JavaScript portion of the course, but I couldn't have been more wrong. To put it another way, the methodologies taught clarified and reinforced everything I thought I knew.
      When it comes to the community, let's be honest: people will be busy at times. However, the practicum community managers have always responded quickly, and the web tutors are always eager to assist. It makes no difference whether they are assigned to your cohort or not. I messaged about 5 Tutors privately at one point, and they all responded within 48 hours. On the same day, one of them had a conference call with me.
      It is always difficult to learn new material. The most important takeaway from this Bootcamp is that you can always ask for help if you get stuck. You may be in a cohort where the students are not as engaging, but the staff always ensures that the conversations continue.
      Every week, they have something called coworking hours on the Slack channel. Every day, a Web Tutor is assigned to conduct a live conference call to answer any questions. I mean anything, regardless of the sprint or project you're working on. There is also something called Code Jam, which happens a few times a year. You get to work with students from all over the world to build a project. You will also have the opportunity to work on real-world projects with an established tech company before graduating. It is incorporated into the curriculum, but it is entirely optional.
      The program is rather lengthy, but it is worthwhile once completed. Those who focus on the negatives are overreaching. Having said that, it's only been four months and I've met every deadline, I'm not burnt out, and I've never been left hanging. I'm learning and having a great time.
    • Miguel  User Photo
      Miguel • Head of Mk&Comms • Student Verified via GitHub
      I started with the program a few months ago. So far I can say that I'm a CSS/HTML developer and I'm starting to understand javascript (it's hard!).

I started with the course because I wanted to keep building my side digital business without the need to hire developers.

Practicum interactive platform is really amazing, the small exercises that allow me to learn new stuff step by step give me the confidence to keep working on it. The format of real sprints where you must deliver project code on your own is perfect to keep learning how the real life of an engineer works.

Also, there is a very responsive community on slack that supports any question in minutes (no matter the day of the week you have an issue, always there is someone who helps).

Overall a super good experience so far. Hopefully, I will be able to pass the JS path. I recommend you to check some online free introductory videos to understand the logic behind JS before starting with the Practicum BootCamp. I'm sure it will help you.

Go for it!
      - 4/22/2022
      Sam Hudson  User Photo
      Sam Hudson • Student Verified via GitHub
      I've been learning software development on my own for some time, however, after about 4 months on the Practicum bootcamp I've realised that doing a few courses and practice projects is no substitute for a well thought out, rigorous course of study with progressively more challenging projects and detailed feedback - which is exactly what Practicum provides.

The course is longer than other bootcamps I've seen (10 months) so I expected a pretty leisurely pace, but this is not the case at all. There is a lot of study material (with practice problems) to cover in each sprint, and then onto a project. At first I thought 2-3 weeks per sprint would be too long, and I'd be left waiting for new material to be released, but now I know I need to be on the ball, finish the studying and get onto the project ASAP. Some of these projects are very challenging, and I've taken up to 40 hours to complete one of them.

In short - this bootcamp is no joke! You need to commit hard to it. The upshot of that is I have learned an amazing amount. By the end of the first 3 months, I realised that given designs and assets for a website, I can build it out. I'm only one month into the JS portion of the bootcamp, but I can already see a similar fluency beginning to develop. This bootcamp is designed to turn you into a job-ready developer and I absolutely believe that's exactly what it does - this is reinforced by the fact that I regularly see posts from recent graduates announcing getting jobs in the industry.

Practicum is awesome, basically. Great value for what it provides, great (and super helpful) tutors. I'm learning new skills that I can actually use, and getting a 'lot' of practice of writing real code in real projects. I would 100% recommend.
    • Data Scientist
      - 4/17/2022
      Renee Raven  User Photo
      Renee Raven • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      This is a great program of those unfamiliar with the field. If you are new to the field, like myself, you might find yourself spending more time on each 2 week sprint that what they say, but it is time well spent. The curriculum is great. There is solid organization, incremental learning, and you will produce tangible projects that display your learning. The slack forum allows conversations between students and the tutors. Tutors will respond within 24 hours as a rule. Sometimes you will run into technical cliches where the right solution is offered, but the automated grader will not accept it, but that is quickly resolved by reaching out to the tutors who will report it to the technical side.

While I am just starting with the career accelerator portion of the program (optional), I believe that Practicum will help anyone determined to find a good job by helping with resume prep, interview skills, and soft skills. Indeed, during the 9 months the program integrates soft skills with the technical skills so one should feel well prepared for finding an entry level job at graduation.

Initially, the program will guide you every step of the way through the learning materials. As things progress, your tutors will emphasize that you need to start investigating the documentation to find the answers. I believe this mirrors the real world, where your employers will expect you to research things before you ask for help.

Overall, a great program that has given me skills and knowledge. I am very grateful for the opportunity to learn from practicum.

- 3/28/2022
      Michelle Lane  User Photo
      Michelle Lane • Student Verified via GitHub
      I was blessed to attend Practicum by Yandex with sponsorship from Women Who Code and I'm so glad I joined. I was looking for a program that was affordable, beginner-friendly and allowed me to keep my full-time job and that would be hands-on. There is a trial period where you get to try out the program and create a project to see if it's for you before making a commitment. I love how Practicum's program is project-based and how just a couple of months in I had 2 beautiful projects to add to my portfolio. The curriculum is current, and only teaches / enforces the best practices, preparing you for success from the very beginning. The cohorts are small and diverse. A major plus is there is always someone available to help and answer questions if you need it. The staff/teachers/tutors/leads are great. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to get started in tech.
    • Nate Anderson  User Photo
      Nate Anderson • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      Practicum took me from knowing the basics of html and CSS to an MERN stack developer in 10 months.
      Along the way I had a ton of fun, participated in group projects and hackathons, went to talks, worked in sprints, and learned a TON.
      their tutors treat you like family.
      their community managers and tech support treat you like family.
      the classmates that are actually active in chat also treat you like family.

don't be afraid to expand your horizons, if you have the time to commit, you'll come out a STAR.
    • Dor Anaki  User Photo
      Dor Anaki • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      I went to the program with no prior background, and I was worried about the fact that the whole course is at Python and I can't print 'hello world', I discovered a convenient and clear platform with explanations examples and practices, 24/7 technical support.
      The instructors are excellent attentive patient and professional and available .
      sometimes even at 4 AM .
      a one-on-one meeting for further questions is available.
      The course is intensive professionally and includes a lot of material but the staff were able to convey it in a profound relaxed and good way.
    • Lydia Tressel  User Photo
      Lydia Tressel • Graduate Student • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      My experience in Practicum by Yandex's Data Scientist curriculum has been nothing short of an amazing learning experience. I am a busy graduate student and this coding boot camp gives me the ability to learn while being a full-time student in my graduate program. It is a huge commitment, but it has been worth the late nights and seeing the milestones as I go along. Practicum is also great at helping develop your skills beyond learning how to code in Python and Jupyter Notebooks. Throughout the training, they have times to go over soft skills in order to help you understand the ins and outs of working in the tech industry. This is especially helpful for the nervousness of the first week on a new job. They also have a career prep course that is free for the data analyst and the data scientist students to participate in. This course helps students prepare for the grueling interview process. There are so many different aspects that data scientist candidates have to put together for an interview. This includes a GitHub page, portfolio, LinkedIn, and even possibly a website. Practicum by Yandex leads you through this process and answers any and all questions you may have. Overall, my experience has been extremely positive and I know that as I continue to go through the program I will continue to develop my skills both analytically and professionally.
    • Alper Arslan  User Photo
      Alper Arslan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
      I just finished the Data Science course of Practicum by Yandex. There is only the final project at the moment. Finally, I feel lucky to have learned a lot of theory and had the opportunity to practice. Concepts with well-chosen examples, tasks after lessons, projects, webinars, Slack channels for support, code readers, tutors, instructors and community managers... When you add also yourself, there seems to be nothing missing. Regular study is the most important thing that I learned, then hard work comes.  Congratulations to the Practicum team.
    • MD. JUNAYED AHMED  User Photo
      MD. JUNAYED AHMED • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I have graduated from Practicum by Yandex in web development program. I had basic front-end skills. One day a friend of mine suggested to me Practicum for their advanced web development course. After seeing what skills I can obtain from the course I immediately signed up. I wanted to become an expert in the front-end/web development field, that's why I decided to start learning with Practicum. I was really amazed by the learning process they used for students. All the lessons are made of the most important and useful contents along with a good amount of coding-test sections where I was able to apply the knowledge I obtained from specific lessons. Most amazing part was, after every sprint/topic I got a real life project which was reviewed by an expert to determine if I was doing it properly or not. Reviewer's were really helpful to improve my code efficiency and quality. Going through all the sprints and challenges I was able to gain confidence in my skills. One more thing about Practicum worth mentioning is their support system. Tutors, community manager, and learning support team they all were really helpful. With them I always got my issues solved almost immediately. I really recommend this course to everyone, especially those who want to build a career in web development.
    • Valentina Anthonio  User Photo
      Valentina Anthonio • Verified via LinkedIn
      Wondering why it's the best? And I would say there is no better place to learn not just to code but also to understand the concepts. Coming from a finance and accounting background, I needed something that would accord me both theoretical and practical lessons. I only have a few sprints to finish and can confidently say, I have no regrets since starting.
      My interest in data science all started at a time when I started my MBA. I decided on a topic that required skills that I didn’t have. All I could tell myself after going through some basics was, I might as well see this through the end.
      Fast forward, I started looking for a place where a beginner like me would be feel left out.  I have enjoyed every moment spent going through this course. From the lessons, working on projects, or interacting with the support team when I encounter problems while coding.  And the icing for me is the weekly webinars which provide you with lessons beyond what has been taught on the platform plus the support from the tutors. Even the pop-up comments you get when you submit your work as you go through each lesson cracks you up some things, the feeling that you are not alone in it.
      The projects to complete after every sprint and be graded on are always challenging but always worth it. And even the reviewer’s comments go beyond just reviewing your code. They provide you with additional information to read on so as to improve your code better at the next sprint. Following these recommendations places you ahead of the curve.
    • Luna Hasse  User Photo
      Luna Hasse • Student Verified via GitHub
      I bought the intro web development course for $50 and it was absolutely worth the money. It solidified my decision to buy the full course. The staff is super helpful and communicative and the lessons are engaging. I went into it knowing some HTML and CSS basics, but not knowing any JavaScript. My only issue was that the JavaScript portion went a bit fast for me, so it might be a good idea to do a little bit of learning on your own first before buying the full course. However, buying the intro course will give you a great idea of how ready you are for the full course, and I would recommend it to anyone wondering whether the full course would be right for them.