NEXT Academy offers a 10-week Full-Stack Web Development bootcamp in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and remote 8-week Front-End Web Development courses and 12-week Digital Marketing courses. NEXT Academy was founded by self-taught programmer and bootcamp graduate, Josh Teng. NEXT Academy partnered with the Malaysian government agency, Malaysian Global Innovation & Creative Centre (MaGIC) in 2014 - jointly officiated by U.S. President Obama, Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Razak and Founding CEO Cheryl Yeoh who previously sold her company to Walmart Labs, to grow the tech startup ecosystem in Malaysia.
The primary goal of NEXT Academy is to equip passionate individuals to become entrepreneurs, marketers and developers — the key ingredients to get a startup running. Students learn in a hands-on style and are presented with a set of challenges to solve each day. By the end of the course, students will build a fully-functional web app.
Today, over 1,000 students have graduated from NEXT Academy and are employed with some of the biggest startups in the region including GrabTaxi, KFIT, Mindvalley, REV Asia, Business Insider, Says, and Uber. Some multinational corporations have also hired graduates from NEXT Academy as well. Ninety-nine percent (99%) of all graduates have either started their own startups or joined a company as a coder, marketer, or designer!
NEXT Academy is part of the 500 Startups' portfolio.
Recent NEXT Academy Reviews: Rating 4.1
Recent NEXT Academy News
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week10 Weeks
Start Date Rolling Start Date Cost RM11,500 Class size N/A Location Kuala LumpurTechnology is transforming our world. The fourth Industrial Revolution (IR4.0) is coming and experts predicted that 40% of the jobs would be replaced by 2025. Coding will be the fundamental skill you need. This 10-week, intensive Quantum Degree is the fastest route to becoming a full-stack developer with both front-end and back-end skills. Graduate with the ability to think like a programmer and be able to easily learn any new languages or frameworks.
Minimum Skill Level None Prep Work There is no need to prepare for the interview. We will provide you with your prepwork upon passing the interview. Placement Test No Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost RM4,950 Class size N/A Location Kuala LumpurJoin Us For A Face-to-Face Mentor Guided Approach On Launching Digital Marketing Campaigns. What is better than launching real products and having the first hand experience to create your marketing funnel for leads and sales? In 5 weeks, master in-demand skills and obtain a 360-degree understanding of the digital marketing ecosystem. Receive real-world experience in digital marketing that will get you ready for a career in digital marketing or accelerate your company’s growth.
Minimum Skill Level None Prep Work None Placement Test No Interview No
In PersonFull Time2 Weeks
Minimum Skill Level None Prep Work None Placement Test No Interview No Start Date None scheduled Cost RM6,999 Class size N/A Location Kuala LumpurTechnology is transforming our world. The fourth Industrial Revolution (IR4.0) is coming and experts predicted that 40% of the jobs would be replaced by 2025. Coding will be the fundamental skill you need. This 6-week, intensive Quantum Degree is the final module that enables you to build full-stack web apps after you have learned how to build frontend websites and web apps. Graduate with the ability to think like a programmer and be able to easily learn any new language or framework.
Minimum Skill Level N/A Placement Test No Interview Yes
NEXT Academy Reviews
93 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
Honestly, I really think that the full stack web dev bootcamp NEXT is well planned - where we actually learned things step by step - things that we thought weren't useful was in fact fundamental and essential to the next level of learning and giving us way too many "aha" moments. End result of the bootcamp - I'm so damn confident I can create anything. It doesn't matter if we didn't know - we've learned to learn.. and learning them fast.
- Very Rewarding- 11/27/2018Voon Shun Zhi • Student • Graduate • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
It is a very rewarding experience that you will have ever had in your coding journey in Next Academy. In Next Academy, i met mentors who are ready to help you when you need one and a bunch of friends who cheer you up when you burnt out. If you ask me why i chose Next academy instead of learning myself online, i would say Next Academy offers you mentorship. Without mentorship, it is so easy for me to give up but with a mentorship i will never give up or doubt myself in coding and these 10 weeks is enough to provide me the foundation to explore more languages and framework until today. Thanks Next Acdemy for the amazing 10 weeks!
- A++ for North Americans attending.- 5/10/2018Stephanie • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
This review comes from a Canadian who travelled to Kuala Lumpur just to attend NEXT Academy. If you are a North American who cannot see the value in paying $8000+ to a bootcamp in youre area, and have the freedom to move to Asia for 3-4 months, I HIGHLY reccomend NEXT academy. The mentors are great, and you leave the bootcamp a self sufficient programmer. You may not know absolutely everything you need to get your dream job right when you graduate, but this course gives you the tools to teach yourself absolutely anything. Don't worry about the fact that NEXT cant really help you with job assistance in Canada, if you work your ass off in this course, you don't need to worry about that. Youll get your own job.
- No regrets, fully recommended!- 10/11/2017Alvin • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
The bootcamp has very helpful mentors with great attitude. It is designed in a way where you learn the more challenging fundamentals before learning the easier way of doing it, which I appreciate, especially if I want to go further into programming. One of my better decisions in my adult life is to pick up this very important skill. No regrets, fully recommended.
- bad worse worst- 10/7/2017Our complaint went nowhere • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
You're reading from the one that studied here,,
Misleading marketing. (no coding background needed) (will get jobs)
Learn non worthiness coding language.
98% of your grads get jobs? puihhh,
Never spend such money here, you're WASTING your TIME and MONEY !
NEVER study , apply or even read anything from their website.
Response From: Josh Teng of NEXT AcademyTitle: FounderSunday, Mar 04 2018Hi,
I'm Josh, the founder of NEXT Academy. I've worked with my team to further understand where you're coming from and I would like to personally apologize that you had a bad experience. We take this very seriously because it's what my team and I are dedicating our lives towards - the empowerment of people to pursue careers in technology. Clearly, there's something that we have failed with your experience.
We have stopped making any claims about the percentages of students getting jobs since early 2017. The reason why we stopped isn't that our quality and commitment have dropped, in fact, we are dedicating far more resources and attention than ever to ensure a good outcome for our students.
The reason why we removed the claim was because between Q4 2016 - Q2 2017, we removed our admission interview and failed to communicate to incoming students about the preparation necessary prior to joining the bootcamp (yes, you can join the bootcamp as a beginner, but there are a few things that potential students need to prepare for. we address those in the admission interview). We have since restarted the admission interviews to prevent students from having known bad experiences.
We have made many improvements consistently to the bootcamp and curriculum since Q2 of 2017 and are continuously doing so. One of the biggest being a MONEY BACK guarantee for students who fail to secure a job after attempting the bootcamp. We have, obviously, some terms in place to prevent people from gaming the system since we have bills to pay.
Again, I would like to sincerely apologize. I ensure you that we are not working on NEXT Academy to make a quick buck - there is also a high cost operating a physical academy employing highly demanded engineers. NEXT Academy has been around for close to 4 years and we plan to be for decades to come. The only way we can remain in business is to ensure a good outcome for you and others.
For others who are reading this and have thoughts about joining NEXT Academy, I hope you will continue to consider us. And may I suggest that you go on LinkedIn and search for students who have attended NEXT Academy and have a conversation with them just so you get more opinions before parting with hard earned cash.
To the person who left this review, I'm not sure who you are but I would like to hear from you. If you are comfortable reaching out, do email me at email@example.com.
- Taught me how to think like a programmer- 9/19/2017Ton Pham • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
I enjoyed learning Web Development at NextAcademy. When I started the bootcamp in NextAcademy, I hadn't touched a computer in about a year. I wouldn't say I was tech-savvy at all. But after the course, I feel like I learned a lot. I don't think you have to be very tech-savvy or know all the latest trends to get into programming. NextAcademy will teach you how to think like a programmer and teach you all the basics you need to be a junior developer. I do feel like I have a lot more to learn, but with what I learned at NextAcademy I feel that I can start a career as a programmer and be able to contribute to a project.
I felt that the mentors were very patient and really wanted us to learn. They always were near by in class or a instant message away to help us. I really appreciated that!
- The mentors were super helpful!- 9/16/2017Justin Khor Cheng Ee • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
- Met a lot of friends with similiar passion- 9/15/2017Mohd Adam • Graduate • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
I would totally recommend this course to my other friends that wish to become a programmer. Here you don't only learn about coding, but also life experience. I also get to know more friends that really have the same passion to code. With that said, I totally enjoyed my stay here for the past 10 weeks and I really hope to cross path with Next Academy again.
- Intense but immersive!- 9/12/2017Max Jala • Graduate • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
Had a great time at NEXT Academy. The course may be intense but it fully immersed me into the world of coding. Coming from a management background I was not always looking for a career in tech. After experiencing and enjoying this bootcamp, I am definitely going to pursue a career as a programmer in some shape or form.
- Rewarding journey- 9/12/2017Fu Hong Yi • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
I would recommend the course to anyone who is aspiring to become a web developer. With that said, the course is pretty hard which is the reason I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is not totally serious about committing. However, if they choose to put it full effort it will be a rewarding journey. It has been for me, I learn as much as I have learned in my previous 25 years combined.
- Look Elsewhere- 9/9/2017KW Lai • firstname.lastname@example.org • Student • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
DId the web development bootcamp. Very little instruction and every day you will show up and work through an online interface that lags and is mostly copied and pasted from github. Would recommend codeacademy, freecodecamp, treehouse or even a udemy/edX course instead- save yourself the money for what is essentially a highly overpriced study hall. If you must do a bootcamp, look elsewhere/compare other bootcamps and ask to watch a class first.
Response From: Colin of NEXT AcademyTitle: Program CoordinatorMonday, Sep 11 2017Hi, I'm Colin, the Program Coordinator at NEXT Academy.
We view students' input and concerns seriously and constantly work with our students/graduates especially on matters related to curriculum. Unfortunately, I could not find your student record in our system. I have also tried to get in touch with you via your email address on Course Report but was not able to reach you. May I know which intake are you from?
- Extremely worth it- 5/27/2017Nicholas Tan • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
- Conducive environment to learn- 5/24/2017Naeem Niran • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
Next Academy's space is pretty conducive, and the mentors are very good at explaining on how to solve the problems I've faced. Also the people I've met during my 9 weeks in Next Academy are very friendly and helpful in making the learning experience better.
- It was a brain-drenching experience- 5/23/2017Alex Chew • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
- Learnt how to be an independent coder- 5/22/2017Wyn Wai • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
The course is really intensive as there's a lot to learn in such a short period of time. But as long as you put your heart into it, you will get what NEXT is advertised which is to build an app in 9 weeks. You also learn how to be an independent coder as the mentors will guide you how to solve the problem yourself but not give you the solution right away. Overall it's a great experience and I'm glad that I joined the bootcamp.
- Learnt so much in 9 weeks.- 5/21/2017Muhamad Arief Rahman • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
I've learnt a lot from Next Academy. The mentors have really taught me a lot about programming which I was not able to learn by myself before this.
I've really enjoyed the process of kickstarting my programming skill with Next Academy, they have a great syllabus and efficient ways of teaching coding to people like me who does not have any background in tech.
I've never learnt so much in 9 weeks before.
- Fast-paced environment to learn coding- 5/21/2017Verron Leong • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
- This was one of the best experiences in my life.- 5/18/2017Will • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
- Met a lot of interesting people here- 5/17/2017nathalie • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
At the beginning, I joined the bootcamp with the intention of learning to code. Halfway through the journey, I felt that it was a very good journey for self-discovery, as well as meeting interesting people and facing problems together.
Even though I don't feel confident that I'll be a good software developer yet, but yes i will keep going and try my best.
The mentors, Gloria and Aiman were very good. Gloria for her way of teaching and Aiman for super friendliness.
- Great place to learn- 4/10/2017Charles Lee Yang Kai • Graduate • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
- Challenged me to think differently- 4/9/2017George Chin • Graduate • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
The iOS Development Bootcamp is fun and quite challenging. I've learnt a lot in this bootcamp and managed to complete all the problems and challenges in the curriculum. I'm happy that I joined the bootcamp because it has opened up my mind to think differently.
- Tough journey but worth it- 4/8/2017Samantha Yinz • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
You just need to get yourself prepared to push further when you sign up for this. I have zero coding background, neither front-end nor back-end, and I struggled in the first 2 weeks. At one point, I reached a breaking point and thought that the overwhelming pace is slowly killing my interest in learning to code. This, however was overcame the moment I continue to push myself through the whole 9 weeks. Fun peers, committed coding environment, crazy hours, superbly short lunch hour (what lunch?) and dedicated mentors. Get yourself in if you want to get a feel of how a coder's life is. The journey has never been easy, but now I can happily say that: YES, I CAN CODE!
- Intense bootcamp but impressive outcome- 4/7/2017charlotte • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
If like me, you knew a bit about front end, but you really wanted to know more about how a full web app is working, this place is where you should go ! It is really intense, but if you like to learn you will be really impressed of what you will be able to do after 9 weeks :) ! Great friends i am sure i will keep ! Great mentors !
- Good Learning Environment for Coding- 4/7/2017Sayaka Chua • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Development Course • Campus: Kuala Lumpur
- Fun and learning experience- 4/3/2017Seow Yung Hoe • Graduate • Campus: Kuala Lumpur