next-academy-logo

NEXT Academy

Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur, Online

NEXT Academy

NEXT Academy offers a 10-week Full-Stack Web Development bootcamp in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and remote 8-week Front-End Web Development courses and 12-week Digital Marketing courses. NEXT Academy was founded by self-taught programmer and bootcamp graduate, Josh Teng. NEXT Academy partnered with the Malaysian government agency, Malaysian Global Innovation & Creative Centre (MaGIC) in 2014 - jointly officiated by U.S. President Obama, Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Razak and Founding CEO Cheryl Yeoh who previously sold her company to Walmart Labs, to grow the tech startup ecosystem in Malaysia.

The primary goal of NEXT Academy is to equip passionate individuals to become entrepreneurs, marketers and developers — the key ingredients to get a startup running. Students learn in a hands-on style and are presented with a set of challenges to solve each day. By the end of the course, students will build a fully-functional web app.

Today, over 1,000 students have graduated from NEXT Academy and are employed with some of the biggest startups in the region including GrabTaxi, KFIT, Mindvalley, REV Asia, Business Insider, Says, and Uber. Some multinational corporations have also hired graduates from NEXT Academy as well. Ninety-nine percent (99%) of all graduates have either started their own startups or joined a company as a coder, marketer, or designer!

NEXT Academy is part of the 500 Startups' portfolio.

Recent NEXT Academy Reviews: Rating 4.1

all (93) reviews for NEXT Academy →

Recent NEXT Academy News

• All 3-in-1 Full Stack Web Development Bundle (10 weeks)

HTML, Python, JavaScript, SQL, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    RM11,500
    Kuala Lumpur
    Technology is transforming our world. The fourth Industrial Revolution (IR4.0) is coming and experts predicted that 40% of the jobs would be replaced by 2025. Coding will be the fundamental skill you need. This 10-week, intensive Quantum Degree is the fastest route to becoming a full-stack developer with both front-end and back-end skills. Graduate with the ability to think like a programmer and be able to easily learn any new languages or frameworks.
    None
    There is no need to prepare for the interview. We will provide you with your prepwork upon passing the interview.
  • Digital Marketing Product Launch bootcamp

Digital Marketing, Growth Hacking
    RM4,950
    Kuala Lumpur
    Join Us For A Face-to-Face Mentor Guided Approach On Launching Digital Marketing Campaigns. What is better than launching real products and having the first hand experience to create your marketing funnel for leads and sales? In 5 weeks, master in-demand skills and obtain a 360-degree understanding of the digital marketing ecosystem. Receive real-world experience in digital marketing that will get you ready for a career in digital marketing or accelerate your company’s growth.
    Interview
  • Frontend Web Development (2 weeks)

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Front End
    RM3,499
    Kuala Lumpur
    Regardless of industry, coding is the fundamental skill you need as technology transforms and automates our world. Cash in on this opportunity to build solutions for your industry. Start your first step into coding with this beginner friendly Quantum Degree, but be ready as you will learn beyond beginners' concepts. Learn front-end web programming skills and begin your journey as a web developer. This course will teach you how to build and design your own websites using HTML & CSS, design interactive features from scratch using JavaScript. You’ll be able to upgrade to the 10-week Full Stack Web Development Quantum Degree after you’ve completed this course.
    Interview
  • Front-end Web Development With React JS (2 weeks)

React.js
    RM3,499
    Kuala Lumpur
    Companies want to build amazing frontend experiences and user interfaces for better user experience. Plain HTML/ CSS/ JS is sufficient to make a page look nice but if you want to build a highly interactive web interface to enhance your business, improve user experience and impress them; using a front-end framework such as React JS by Facebook is going to make it more feasible. On top of that, with Javascript and React knowledge, you can go a step further by learning React Native to create mobile apps! You’ll be able to upgrade to the 10-week (full time) Full Stack Web Development Quantum Degree after you’ve completed this course.
    Interview
  • Python Web Development (6 weeks)

Python, SQL
    RM6,999
    Kuala Lumpur
    Technology is transforming our world. The fourth Industrial Revolution (IR4.0) is coming and experts predicted that 40% of the jobs would be replaced by 2025. Coding will be the fundamental skill you need. This 6-week, intensive Quantum Degree is the final module that enables you to build full-stack web apps after you have learned how to build frontend websites and web apps. Graduate with the ability to think like a programmer and be able to easily learn any new language or framework.

• Mr.
    - 2/8/2018
    Chia Shanq Yeet  User Photo
    Chia Shanq Yeet • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Honestly, I really think that the full stack web dev bootcamp NEXT is well planned - where we actually learned things step by step - things that we thought weren't useful was in fact fundamental and essential to the next level of learning and giving us way too many "aha" moments.  End result of the bootcamp - I'm so damn confident I can create anything. It doesn't matter if we didn't know - we've learned to learn.. and learning them fast.

• Very Rewarding
    - 11/27/2018
    Voon Shun Zhi • Student • Graduate

It is a very rewarding experience that you will have ever had in your coding journey in Next Academy. In Next Academy, i met mentors who are ready to help you when you need one and a bunch of friends who cheer you up when you burnt out. If you ask me why i chose Next academy instead of learning myself online, i would say Next Academy offers you mentorship. Without mentorship, it is so easy for me to give up but with a mentorship i will never give up or doubt myself in coding and these 10 weeks is enough to provide me the foundation to explore more languages and framework until today. Thanks Next Acdemy for the amazing 10 weeks!

• Stephanie • Graduate

This review comes from a Canadian who travelled to Kuala Lumpur just to attend NEXT Academy. If you are a North American who cannot see the value in paying $8000+ to a bootcamp in youre area, and have the freedom to move to Asia for 3-4 months, I HIGHLY reccomend NEXT academy. The mentors are great, and you leave the bootcamp a self sufficient programmer. You may not know absolutely everything you need to get your dream job right when you graduate, but this course gives you the tools to teach yourself absolutely anything. Don't worry about the fact that NEXT cant really help you with job assistance in Canada, if you work your ass off in this course, you don't need to worry about that. Youll get your own job.

• Alvin • Graduate

The bootcamp has very helpful mentors with great attitude. It is designed in a way where you learn the more challenging fundamentals before learning the easier way of doing it, which I appreciate, especially if I want to go further into programming. One of my better decisions in my adult life is to pick up this very important skill. No regrets, fully recommended.

• bad worse worst
    - 10/7/2017
    Our complaint went nowhere • Graduate

You're reading from the one that studied here,,

Misleading marketing. (no coding background needed) (will get jobs)

Learn non worthiness coding language.

98% of your grads get jobs? puihhh,

Never spend such money here, you're WASTING your TIME and MONEY !

NEVER study , apply or even read anything from their website.

Response From: Josh Teng of NEXT Academy
    Title: Founder
    Sunday, Mar 04 2018
    Hi,

I'm Josh, the founder of NEXT Academy. I've worked with my team to further understand where you're coming from and I would like to personally apologize that you had a bad experience. We take this very seriously because it's what my team and I are dedicating our lives towards - the empowerment of people to pursue careers in technology. Clearly, there's something that we have failed with your experience.

We have stopped making any claims about the percentages of students getting jobs since early 2017. The reason why we stopped isn't that our quality and commitment have dropped, in fact, we are dedicating far more resources and attention than ever to ensure a good outcome for our students.

The reason why we removed the claim was because between Q4 2016 - Q2 2017, we removed our admission interview and failed to communicate to incoming students about the preparation necessary prior to joining the bootcamp (yes, you can join the bootcamp as a beginner, but there are a few things that potential students need to prepare for. we address those in the admission interview). We have since restarted the admission interviews to prevent students from having known bad experiences.

We have made many improvements consistently to the bootcamp and curriculum since Q2 of 2017 and are continuously doing so. One of the biggest being a MONEY BACK guarantee for students who fail to secure a job after attempting the bootcamp. We have, obviously, some terms in place to prevent people from gaming the system since we have bills to pay.

Again, I would like to sincerely apologize. I ensure you that we are not working on NEXT Academy to make a quick buck - there is also a high cost operating a physical academy employing highly demanded engineers. NEXT Academy has been around for close to 4 years and we plan to be for decades to come. The only way we can remain in business is to ensure a good outcome for you and others.

For others who are reading this and have thoughts about joining NEXT Academy, I hope you will continue to consider us. And may I suggest that you go on LinkedIn and search for students who have attended NEXT Academy and have a conversation with them just so you get more opinions before parting with hard earned cash.

To the person who left this review, I'm not sure who you are but I would like to hear from you. If you are comfortable reaching out, do email me at josh@nextacademy.com.

• Ton Pham • Graduate

I enjoyed learning Web Development at NextAcademy. When I started the bootcamp in NextAcademy, I hadn't touched a computer in about a year. I wouldn't say I was tech-savvy at all. But after the course, I feel like I learned a lot. I don't think you have to be very tech-savvy or know all the latest trends to get into programming. NextAcademy will teach you how to think like a programmer and teach you all the basics you need to be a junior developer. I do feel like I have a lot more to learn, but with what I learned at NextAcademy I feel that I can start a career as a programmer and be able to contribute to a project.

I felt that the mentors were very patient and really wanted us to learn. They always were near by in class or a instant message away to help us. I really appreciated that!

• Justin Khor Cheng Ee • Graduate

It was a great experience for me, I've learnt a lot in these 3 months thanks to the mentors!! They did really well in helping and guiding us throughout the whole bootcamp and I'm super grateful to them.

• Mohd Adam • Graduate

I would totally recommend this course to my other friends that wish to become a programmer. Here you don't only learn about coding, but also life experience. I also get to know more friends that really have the same passion to code. With that said, I totally enjoyed my stay here for the past 10 weeks and I really hope to cross path with Next Academy again.

• Max Jala • Graduate

Had a great time at NEXT Academy. The course may be intense but it fully immersed me into the world of coding. Coming from a management background I was not always looking for a career in tech. After experiencing and enjoying this bootcamp, I am definitely going to pursue a career as a programmer in some shape or form.

• Fu Hong Yi • Graduate

I would recommend the course to anyone who is aspiring to become a web developer. With that said, the course is pretty hard which is the reason I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is not totally serious about committing. However, if they choose to put it full effort it will be a rewarding journey. It has been for me, I learn as much as I have learned in my previous 25 years combined.

• Look Elsewhere
    - 9/9/2017
    KW Lai • m572567@mvrht.net • Student

DId the web development bootcamp. Very little instruction and every day you will show up and work through an online interface that lags and is mostly copied and pasted from github. Would recommend codeacademy, freecodecamp, treehouse or even a udemy/edX course instead- save yourself the money for what is essentially a highly overpriced study hall. If you must do a bootcamp, look elsewhere/compare other bootcamps and ask to watch a class first.

Response From: Colin of NEXT Academy
    Title: Program Coordinator
    Monday, Sep 11 2017
    Hi, I'm Colin, the Program Coordinator at NEXT Academy.

We view students' input and concerns seriously and constantly work with our students/graduates especially on matters related to curriculum. Unfortunately, I could not find your student record in our system. I have also tried to get in touch with you via your email address on Course Report but was not able to reach you. May I know which intake are you from?
  • Extremely worth it
    - 5/27/2017
    Nicholas Tan • Graduate

The Web Development Bootcamp was one of the most challenging things I've gone through, but it was extremely worth it. The mentors are very understanding and willing to help!

• Naeem Niran • Graduate

Next Academy's space is pretty conducive, and the mentors are very good at explaining on how to solve the problems I've faced. Also the people I've met during my 9 weeks in Next Academy are very friendly and helpful in making the learning experience better.

• Alex Chew • Graduate

Even though the 9 weeks was a brain-drenching experience, tiring and lots of sleepless night, but if I was given a chance to go back in time to make a decision to go through the Web Development Bootcamp again, without any doubt i will!!

• Wyn Wai • Graduate

The course is really intensive as there's a lot to learn in such a short period of time. But as long as you put your heart into it, you will get what NEXT is advertised which is to build an app in 9 weeks. You also learn how to be an independent coder as the mentors will guide you how to solve the problem yourself but not give you the solution right away. Overall it's a great experience and I'm glad that I joined the bootcamp.

• Muhamad Arief Rahman • Graduate

I've learnt a lot from Next Academy. The mentors have really taught me a lot about programming which I was not able to learn by myself before this.

I've really enjoyed the process of kickstarting my programming skill with Next Academy, they have a great syllabus and efficient ways of teaching coding to people like me who does not have any background in tech.

I've never learnt so much in 9 weeks before.

Perfect.

• Verron Leong • Graduate

The Web Development Bootcamp was fast-paced and effective. They have loving and caring mentors to help us throughout the 10 weeks. All you need is to put 100% of your commitment to go through this bootcamp. Well done NEXT Academy.

• nathalie • Graduate

At the beginning, I joined the bootcamp with the intention of learning to code. Halfway through the journey, I felt that it was a very good journey for self-discovery, as well as meeting interesting people and facing problems together.

Even though I don't feel confident that I'll be a good software developer yet, but yes i will keep going and try my best.

The mentors, Gloria and Aiman were very good. Gloria for her way of teaching and Aiman for super friendliness.

• Charles Lee Yang Kai • Graduate

It has been a fast-paced 9 weeks of learning but Next Academy's bootcamp provided a great platform for students to learn how to code and meet awesome people.

• George Chin • Graduate

The iOS Development Bootcamp is fun and quite challenging. I've learnt a lot in this bootcamp and managed to complete all the problems and challenges in the curriculum. I'm happy that I joined the bootcamp because it has opened up my mind to think differently.

• Samantha Yinz • Graduate

You just need to get yourself prepared to push further when you sign up for this. I have zero coding background, neither front-end nor back-end, and I struggled in the first 2 weeks. At one point, I reached a breaking point and thought that the overwhelming pace is slowly killing my interest in learning to code. This, however was overcame the moment I continue to push myself through the whole 9 weeks. Fun peers, committed coding environment, crazy hours, superbly short lunch hour (what lunch?) and dedicated mentors. Get yourself in if you want to get a feel of how a coder's life is. The journey has never been easy, but now I can happily say that: YES, I CAN CODE!

• charlotte • Graduate

If like me, you knew a bit about front end, but you really wanted to know more about how a full web app is working, this place is where you should go ! It is really intense, but if you like to learn you will be really impressed of what you will be able to do after 9 weeks :) ! Great friends i am sure i will keep ! Great mentors !

• Sayaka Chua • Graduate

Great place to learn web development, they set up a good environment and learning process to pick up coding in 9 weeks.