hackbright-academy-logo

Hackbright Academy

San Francisco

Hackbright Academy

Hackbright Academy is a software engineering school for women in San Francisco, Dallas, and Lehi founded in 2012. In addition to in-person classrooms in the US, Hackbright Academy also offers their courses online. The school offers a 12-week, immersive full-time software engineering program and a 43-week, part-time program, both of which cover the fundamentals of computer science and modern web development such as the command line, Python, JavaScript, HTML & CSS, Git, Flask, Django, pair programming, SQL/ORMS/NoSQL, and deployment. The part-time program covers the same content as the immersive program, but is designed for students who want to maintain their jobs. Hackbright also offers a 4-week part-time prep course, which teaches the foundations of programming; and a week-long immersive prep course.

Prospective applicants will need to fill out an online application detailing their interests and personality, then complete a coding challenge and two interviews. Hackbright's ideal candidate has a desire to learn software development and has prior exposure to programming.

Hackbright Academy provides students with mentorship, tech talks, and career services. After graduation, Hackbright Academy connects graduates with Silicon Valley companies looking to expand their engineering teams as alumnae work at companies like Amazon, Facebook, and Slack. Hackbright Academy offers deferred tuition, limited scholarships, and payment plans for qualified students.

Recent Hackbright Academy Reviews: Rating 4.48

all (86) reviews for Hackbright Academy →

Recent Hackbright Academy News

Read all (73) articles about Hackbright Academy →
  • Full-Time (12-week) Software Engineering Program

LocationSan Francisco
    Hackbright offers a full-time, 12-week Software Engineering Program that empowers women to become software engineers in 12 weeks. The immersive program is an intensive Monday through Friday course with classes from 10 am to 6 pm. Core instruction includes the fundamentals of computer science and modern web development such as the command line, Python, JavaScript, HTML & CSS, Git, Flask, Django, pair programming, SQL/ORMS/NOSQL, deployment and more! Students will enjoy a host of other benefits including mentorship, tech talks and career services. After graduation, Hackbright Academy connects graduates with Silicon Valley companies looking to expand their engineering teams. Graduates who accept a full-time job from one of the companies in the Hackbright network will be refunded a portion of their tuition. Payment plans are also available. Hackbright's ideal candidate has an inspired desire to learn software development and has prior exposure to programming.
    Deposit$250 Non-Refundable
    Deferred tuition, and lending via SkillsFund and Climb.

Graduates of the Prep course are eligible for a discount.
    Tuition PlansHackbright Academy offers a deferred tuition program to select, eligible students. If eligible, that means no tuition payments until you are hired. Click here: http://hba.io/2ADhSeP
    ScholarshipWe have four scholarships available from our partners who are committed to changing the gender ratio in tech. Learn more: http://hba.io/2zahyUp
    Minimum Skill LevelKnowledge of the following areas (in any programming language) and ability to demonstrate in a technical interview: Basic datatypes (strings, integers, booleans) and variables, conditional logic, looping, lists or arrays, and basic functions.
    Prep WorkNone, but there is a Prep Course available in order to obtain training to pass the technical interview.
  • Hackbright Prep Course

Python
    LocationSan Francisco
    This is a 4-week part-time night course will teach you the basic fundamentals of programming. You will leave with a foundation in Python and be introduced to HTML, CSS, and Flask. The course is geared to those who are planning to apply to a bootcamp or considering shifting their careers.
    We are partnered with lending partners SkillsFund and Climb. Please email finance@hackbrightacademy.com if you have questions.
    ScholarshipWWC and Hackbright Academy are offering a full scholarship to Hackbright Prep.
  • Part-Time (24-week) Software Engineering Program

GitHub, Python, CSS, Django, Git, HTML, JavaScript, SQL, Algorithms, Data Structures
    LocationSan Francisco
    The part-time software development program is stimulating, exciting and fulfilling. Our challenging curriculum is based on 5 years of training students, providing tangible feedback, and helping each individual improve throughout the learning process. Students can partake in Hackbright's life-changing Software Engineering Program while working. The Part-Time Software Engineering Program will teach you the fundamentals of computer science in addition to modern web development. This part-time program includes labs and lectures on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, plus Saturdays. One of the most in-demand languages to learn in the industry is Python – the core language of our curriculum. Companies that use Python include Google, Yelp, and Dropbox to name a few. Mastering Python here will help you start thinking like an engineer. You can feel confident that you’ll walk out of the door ready to tackle any engineering role.
    Deposit250 Non- Refundable
    We understand that your education can be a big investment and that’s why we’ve partnered with leading lending partners like SkillsFund to provide you affordable payment alternatives. Check out the options below and please feel free to email finance@hackbrightacademy.com if you have questions! Click here to learn more.
    Tuition PlansNo
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    ScholarshipNo
    Minimum Skill Level40 hours of coding practice
    Prep Work5-10 hours remote work per week for the 3 weeks leading up to the start of course
  • Jennifer Grace  User Photo
    Jennifer Grace • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had a positive experience at Hackbright Academy. Hackbright was a supportive and positive environment for me to learn how to code and prepare for the job search.

First of all, I was super impressed with the collaboration environment among the students. It did not feel like a competition where there is a sole "winner" of Hackbright. I feel like we ALL came out as winners at the end and we all helped each other in our own way, whether it was emotional support or help and ideas technically. I definitely got that "these are my people" feeling!

There was a lot of support and encouragement from the educational staff and career services team as well. The quality of my instructors was excellent as well as the TA's and lab instructor. The instructors were great about checking in with the students making sure we were understanding the material and encouraged us to ask questions. They were also very good about requesting feedback after each lecture. A school that takes feedback seriously is a good sign in my opinion!

Hackbright tries hard to set you up for success, already connecting each student with 3 mentors that work in the tech industry. All three of my mentors were helpful and involved. I still communicate and meet with them even though the fellowship is over. I have a much bigger network now than I did before Hackbright!

Career services were also strong. Very organized and thought out material. The last two weeks of the fellowship was career services focused, bringing in people from the industry to talk to us and give us a wealth of advice for the job search.

Of course, make sure to put in the hard work, time, and dedication to make the most of Hackbright!

• Chung Nguyen  User Photo
    Chung Nguyen • Graduate Verified via GitHub

As you can tell from the ratings, I really enjoyed my time at Hackbright. I'm more of a list person, so let's make some lists.

Pros:

• Excellent structure. First five weeks: lecture in the morning, lab, lunch, lecture in the afternoon, lab. Homework. Weekend assessments. Weeks six through ten: lecture in the morning, work on your projects the rest of the time. Weeks eleven and twelve: lectures and guest speakers on career things (interviewing tips, negotiations, whiteboarding, field trips). It's a very professional setup and I felt well cared for. [Side note: I also felt like I probably could have learned all the things I learned at HB on my own, but it would have taken at least 4x longer and be much more frustrating, so that alone justifies the tuition for me.]
    • Lots of feedback mechanisms in place. After every lecture / talk / event, there's a survey. And they take the survey results seriously and implement your feedback (if warranted). HB is not perfect, but they sure do work hard and constant improvement.
    • The network. Besides the people who work at HB, you become a part of this amazingly supportive alumnae community. I was actually really afraid of being with the same classmates all the time and also with a lot of women who may want to socialize a lot, but the end result was that I could put in however much effort into socialization as I wanted. I didn't feel pressured to grab lunch or talk. And regardless of my lack of socialization investment, I still felt like one of the team. And it was a great team. I really miss my cohort. And HB.
    • The mentors. I had varying degrees of closeness with my mentors but they were all amaizing and oh-so helpful! So cool that HB has this in place to further support us.
    • Career support. The career services team is resourceful, encouraging, and supportive. We updated our resumes, LinkedIn, wrote cover letters, ... we basically had everything in place to hit the ground running for the job search as soon as the program was over. I lucked out and landed a job with a partner company about a month after the program ended. I was prepared to allot myself 3 - 6 months for the job hunt, as that is a more reasonable / likely amount of time.

Cons:

• It's not cheap. Plus, you'll be doing it full time (plus!) so you won't be able to get a job. I feel really privileged to be able to take this leap, but I understand that not everyone can do it. Definitely consider your personal financial situation thoroughly before leaping.
    • It's tough. The program is tough. Software development is not easy work. It requires attention to detail, problem solving skills, patience, teamwork. This is a double-edged sword because I was thinking back on my old job where I knew most of the things to know and was not very challenged and made decent money. I definitely could've stayed on that trajectory. But I love challenges, so I went to HB and I know now that I'll be challenged for the rest of my life. Know this before you choose this path. :)

If you have any questions about my experience, feel free to read my blog post on it and reach out to me with questions. Happy to answer them!

• Julia Fairbrother • Graduate
    The Hackbright Academy program I attended was a full time, 12-week full stack web development bootcamp for women and people who are gender diverse. Their mission is to change the ratio within the job field and help create personalized paths to a software engineering career. Hackbright offers an online learning experience, however, still builds a community within the constraints of a screen. During the course we attended class from 10am-6pm Monday through Friday. We would split our time between lectures, pair-programming labs, lightning talks, and project time. The Hackbright instructors made sure no one fell behind by constantly checking in and making sure we were receiving the adequate support we needed. Every Friday, we would have team building time along with advice from the Outreach team on how we could prepare ourselves on being successful after the program in regards to the job search.

Throughout the program we focused on core programming, data structures/APIs, and web technologies. The tech stack we primarily focused on was a combination of Python, Flask, CSS, HTML, React, AJAX/Jinja, Bootstrap & SQLAlchemy.

In terms of preparing us for our job search after Hackbright, they did an amazing job. Nearing the end of the program, the academy sets up a Demo Night to show off our Independent Projects to major companies (Amazon, Walmart, Twilio, WePay, Dialoggbox). Personally, the week following graduation I was in communication with three companies and received two job offers the next Friday.

I joined Hackbright to pivot my career with more of a technical emphasis and it did just that. Very appreciative of my time with the wonderful staff, instructors, and fellow Hackbright alums.
  • NAN • Developer • Graduate
    TL;DR: If being in an all-women environment has value for you, there is no better option than Hackbright. Also, I only had to apply to two jobs to get an SWE role. Actually, I was offered both jobs, but chose the one I liked better. So, that's pretty fantastic ROI. The most important skills I gained from Hackbright were not technical ones (in fact, my job uses an entirely different stack than the bootcamp taught), but more how to think like an SWE and how to learn like an SWE. The lessons, labs, and projects taught me how to approach problems and how to solve them, and the experience gave me confidence that I could really do those things on the job.

Longer version: I researched multiple bootcamps before choosing Hackbright Academy. I was very drawn to the all-female (or female-identifying) cohorts, as that mattered to me in terms of my own level of comfort. That was, by far, the best part of my experience with Hackbright - meeting so many talented and capable women both in the cohort itself and through our teachers, TAs, and mentors. I feel like I would not have done as well in a mixed-gender educational environment.

My bootcamp was fully remote, and I think Hackbright did a nice job of making the virtual lessons as engaging as possible, and the instructors gave us regular breaks as well as trying to keep things interactive and fun. It was a full-time program, which was pretty intense, I have to admit. There was about an hour of homework most nights (after having done a full work day of classes/lessons/labs), and then longer homework and assessments on the weekends. The volume of work relaxed a little during project season, but not a ton, so you really have to make sure you have the time and energy to commit to the full-time program for those months.

My likes (aka what was great):
    • Remote learning. They did it very well, and it was cool to meet and work with people from all over the country.
    • Women-empowered experiences. Because most of the staff and instructors are also female, there were many built-in role models for us to see. Some of the presentations and discussions did touch on how to navigate a male-dominated industry (though there probably could have been even more of that, in my opinion)
    • Building the cohort and relationships. We had mini-groups within the 22-woman cohort, as well as other pairings for labs and such. This allowed you to meet and get to know pretty much everyone. Additionally, each mini group hosted an end-of-week activity twice during the program, which was often a fun trivia game or something like that. I got to know my mini-group mates very well, and still am in touch with a couple of them. I also got to know several of the other women very well and am maintaining friendships and professional relationships with them. Because of the intensity of the program, you do feel like you know each other well, and it is nice to stay in touch!
    • Python lessons. These foundational weeks and lessons were, by far, the strongest of the program. The instructors and TAs really knew their stuff on Python, and helped us get a solid foundation before branching off into other languages and other learning. Like I said above, my job doesn't use Python at all, but the learning process we used for Python really helped me build confidence in my ability to learn, and also helped me see that I could translate that learning and that process to other languages.
    • Project season. The instructors and project advisors really force you to stay accountable and on track for your project, which I definitely needed. They also help you see what is a reasonable chunk of code to write, debug, and test within the sprints. It was amazing to me that our whole cohort was able to go from blank pages to fully functioning web apps in just a few weeks. So cool! And, you end up with a nice project to use in your portfolio or during job interviews (though, I admit that neither of my interviews cared at all about my project or even looked at it....)

My beefs (aka constructive feedback):
    • The instructional quality varied throughout the bootcamp, as there were many different instructors who worked with us on the various topics and lessons. Some instructors were simply AMAZING, and some...were not. No one was awful or mean or anything, but some just seemed to be better teachers or perhaps even to care more than others. Some also seemed to have deeper technical knowledge about what they were teaching than others.
    • I would say that about 85-90% of the topics and lessons were very solidly planned, organized, and presented. There were a handful, though, that seemed almost like afterthoughts or that just were not the same quality of preparation and/or instruction as the other topics. Mostly, those were the soft skill-focused lessons and some of the lessons on testing (QA) and on Java, as well as group projects that just felt kind of "tossed together" at the last moment.
    • The one-on-one stuff - advisor meetings, extra tutoring help, study hall time with the instructor, feedback sessions, career one-on-one, etc - was the most valuable time and information I got. (Ok, that's not a beef, I guess.) However, I think there wasn't enough of it. If that is where the bulk of the value is, then I think it could be a bit more frequent. We only had one feedback meeting in 3 months. Maybe they should be monthly instead. And, the 1-on-1 career stuff was awesome, but voluntary for sign up. It could be required to make sure everyone does it at least once. Advisor meetings were every other week, but I wish they had been weekly.
    • Since Hackbright is part of a parent group that includes Dev Mountain (and maybe more bootcamps?), some of the staff are shared between multiple bootcamp programs, and so are some of the activities. For example, I went to one post-bootcamp hiring event that included students from non-Hackbright programs (but part of the parent group), and it was a bit shocking to experience the non-Hackbrighters in the hiring event. To be blunt, most of the hiring groups were male, and the male students (non-Hackbrighters) often dominated the virtual space with the hiring groups. Basically, it was hard for a girl to get a word in edgewise. Since I only did this one event, I don't know if Hackbright hosts more/separate women-only hiring events, but I kind of assume they are all combined to save on staffing time/demand and also to give potential employers the largest possible group of candidates. Nonetheless, it was jarring, and I wasn't fully prepared for the "man's world" hiring space after going through three months of female-empowered learning and career spaces.

Summary: As stated above, I think Hackbright excels in its niche of female-focused SWE learning and community building. I absolutely recommend it for that aspect, along with all the other value that is there in the program.
  • It has been great!
    - 10/5/2019
    Eloisa Furnaguera • Student

Coming to Hackbrigt has been an amazing experience overall.

Starting with the curriculum, I feel it has everything that you need to dive into the Software Engineering basics, and then taking it further until you are ready to make a full stack developed web app.

As soon as you finish with the Software Engineering course, Hackbright makes sure you are fully prepared to start looking for a full time job as a Software engineer, they give you tours with different hiring companies and you can have one-o-ones with hiring engineers to know about their hiring process.

Whiteboarding is another thing that I have learned at hackbright, which is truly helpful when you are going to be expected to do in every interview to get a job.

But the MOST IMPORTANT thing for me is the mission that Hackbright gives me, #ChangeTheRatio, and empowering other women that want to become a Software Engineer.

• Melissa • Forecast Analyst • Student

I have great things to say about this bootcamp,

I took the Part Time because I was working a full time job at the same time, and even though you are expected to do work after hours, its totally doable.

One of the things I liked the most about the course is that they not only prepare you into the technical aspect of Software Engineering, they also support you, give you advise and a whole week  dedicated completely to the job search that you are going to endure after finishing with the course.

Hackbright always made me feel empowered and the community as well as the instructors are amazing supporting you in every step of the course.

• Best decision!
    - 7/19/2018
    Margarita • Graduate

Hackbright has a very supportive environment. I am glad I joined Hackbright and thankful to everyone. Even after I finished, the staff is still very helpful with any questions I might have plus there is a mentor that comes twice a week at the alum lounge which I think is awesome and definitely helps during job searching time.

There is just too many amazing words to describe Hackbright.

• Suriya Mohan Selvaraj • Graduate

There are full-time and part-time positions available. I took the Full-Time and my experience with Hackbright was so good. Because the culture they bring in is not competitiveness but growth on support. The most I liked is pair Programming

• Benish Sarinelli • Student

As a working adult and parent, it was a difficult decision to quit my full-time job and attend Hackbright. I made the switch strategically by first attending their weekend boot camp course and then their prep course to get a feel of how they structure their coursework and teaching style. From the very beginning, I was blown away by their supportive and nurturing environment. They are really passionate about changing the ratio in tech and this mission is reflected in everything they do(i.e. teaching approach, opportunities for women, mentorship, etc). I am forever grateful to have spent the past 5 months (prep program + full-time program) with amazing women who are on a mission to become awesome SOFTWARE ENGINEERS! The passion to learn is contagious at Hackbright and I love it!

• Amee • Graduate

I cannot thank the Hackbright staff and my fellow cohort enough for my experience attending this bootcamp. Throughout my 12 weeks, I felt extremely supported by everyone I came into contact with, and the instructors readily make themselves available to help your software engineering journey in anyway they can. I feel this same support even after graduating and going into my job search period. If you are considering attending a coding bootcamp, I 100% recommend Hackbright.

• Duygu Ebcim • Graduate

I can't imagine a better place to start a new career.. Before applying Hackbright I had a very few coding experience and confidence in my skills.. It was such an intense program with updated curriculum which prepares you to the actual engineering field. The instructors were amazing, they were so eager to teach, help and very patient to us. I always felt their full support and belief in me during the bootcamp. At the beginning of the program I didin't take the career development sessions that serious but after a couple of weeks, I realized that how these people are working hard for us to build up our carreer, network and future with us.. So what is different after Hackbright? I definitely learned how to program.. Now I have a project that I build by myself, I learned a lot of technologies, algorithms.. I am building up a network on this field, I am still connected to my instructors, friends, alumni group and ofcourse career team..  And the most important one is that now I believe in myself during my engineering career.. The instructors, career team, their curriculum, their partner companies are all amazing.. As a graduate, I can definitely say that this was the best decision that I make in my career..

• Tal Yaacovi • Product Engineer • Graduate

My experience at Hackbright really exceeded my expectations for what a bootcamp could offer. I thought the curriculum was really strong and focused on the right areas to help me land a job as a software engineer. Although Python was the main language we learned, the program didn't spend the 10 educational weeks on making us experts in Python at the expense of learning other languages and frameworks. Instead, we learned enough Python to be comfortable, productive, and most importantly, be able to continue learning and teaching ourselves after the program. This allowed us to spend time on other critical topics like Computer Science fundamentals (memory, data structures, algorithms, runtime, etc.), JavaScript / jQuery / AJAX, and new technologies like React.

Besides the curriculum, the other area I think Hackbright excels in is the teaching staff. They know the material extremely well and care so much about the success of their students. This, combined with the caliber of students that Hackbright admits, who are all kind, supportive individuals, makes for a very supportive learning environment.