hackbright-academy-logo

Hackbright Academy

Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose

Hackbright Academy

Hackbright Academy is a software engineering school for women in San Francisco, California founded in 2012. The school offers a 12-week, immersive full-time software engineering program and a 24-week, part-time program, both of which cover the fundamentals of computer science and modern web development such as the command line, Python, JavaScript, HTML & CSS, Git, Flask, Django, pair programming, SQL/ORMS/NoSQL, and deployment. The part-time program covers the same content as the immersive program, but is designed for students who want to maintain their jobs. Hackbright also offers a 4-week part-time prep course, which teaches the foundations of programming; and a week-long immersive prep course.

Prospective applicants will need to fill out an online application detailing their interests and personality, then complete a coding challenge and two interviews. Hackbright's ideal candidate has a desire to learn software development and has prior exposure to programming.

Hackbright Academy provides students with mentorship, tech talks, and career services. After graduation, Hackbright Academy connects graduates with Silicon Valley companies looking to expand their engineering teams as alumnae work at companies like Amazon, Facebook, and Slack. Hackbright Academy offers deferred tuition, limited scholarships, and payment plans for qualified students.

Recent Hackbright Academy Reviews: Rating 4.54

all (79) reviews for Hackbright Academy →

Recent Hackbright Academy News

Read all (67) articles about Hackbright Academy →
  • Full-Time (12-week) Software Engineering Program

LocationSan Francisco
    Hackbright offers a full-time, 12-week Software Engineering Program that empowers women to become software engineers in 12 weeks. The immersive program is an intensive Monday through Friday course with classes from 10 am to 6 pm. Core instruction includes the fundamentals of computer science and modern web development such as the command line, Python, JavaScript, HTML & CSS, Git, Flask, Django, pair programming, SQL/ORMS/NOSQL, deployment and more! Students will enjoy a host of other benefits including mentorship, tech talks and career services. After graduation, Hackbright Academy connects graduates with Silicon Valley companies looking to expand their engineering teams. Graduates who accept a full-time job from one of the companies in the Hackbright network will be refunded a portion of their tuition. Payment plans are also available. Hackbright's ideal candidate has an inspired desire to learn software development and has prior exposure to programming.
    Deposit$250 Non-Refundable
    Deferred tuition, and lending via SkillsFund.

Graduates of the Prep course are eligible for a $1,500 discount.
    Tuition PlansHackbright Academy offers a deferred tuition program to select, eligible students. If eligible, that means no tuition payments until you are hired. Click here: http://hba.io/2ADhSeP
    ScholarshipWe have four scholarships available from our partners who are committed to changing the gender ratio in tech. Learn more: http://hba.io/2zahyUp
    Minimum Skill LevelKnowledge of the following areas (in any programming language) and ability to demonstrate in a technical interview: Basic datatypes (strings, integers, booleans) and variables, conditional logic, looping, lists or arrays, and basic functions.
    Prep WorkNone, but there is a Prep Course available in order to obtain training to pass the technical interview.
  • Hackbright Prep Course

LocationSan Francisco
    This is a 4-week part-time night course will teach you the basic fundamentals of programming. You will leave with a foundation in Python and be introduced to HTML, CSS, and Flask. The course is geared to those who are planning to apply to a bootcamp or considering shifting their careers.
    Deposit$99 non-refundable deposit due upon enrolling
    We are partnered with lending partner Affirm to provide alternative payment options. You can enroll in the payment program here or email finance@hackbrightacademy.com if you have questions.
    ScholarshipWWC and Hackbright Academy are offering a full scholarship to Hackbright Prep. Learn More: http://hba.io/2zdo8JV Hackbright Academy offers partial scholarships to a limited number of students each quarter. Learn more: http://hba.io/2zd8NJj
    Minimum Skill LevelBeginner - 10 hours of coding experience.
  • Part-Time (24-week) Software Engineering Program

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Django, CSS, Data Structures, Algorithms, SQL, Python, GitHub
    LocationSan Francisco
    The part-time software development program is stimulating, exciting and fulfilling. Our challenging curriculum is based on 5 years of training students, providing tangible feedback, and helping each individual improve throughout the learning process. Students can partake in Hackbright's life-changing Software Engineering Program while working. The Part-Time Software Engineering Program will teach you the fundamentals of computer science in addition to modern web development. This part-time program includes labs and lectures on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, plus Saturdays. One of the most in-demand languages to learn in the industry is Python – the core language of our curriculum. Companies that use Python include Google, Yelp, and Dropbox to name a few. Mastering Python here will help you start thinking like an engineer. You can feel confident that you’ll walk out of the door ready to tackle any engineering role.
    Deposit250 Non- Refundable
    We understand that your education can be a big investment and that’s why we’ve partnered with leading lending partners like SkillsFund to provide you affordable payment alternatives. Check out the options below and please feel free to email finance@hackbrightacademy.com if you have questions! Click here to learn more.
    Tuition PlansNo
    Refund / GuaranteeNo
    ScholarshipNo
    Minimum Skill Level40 hours of coding practice
    Prep Work5-10 hours remote work per week for the 3 weeks leading up to the start of course
  • Chung Nguyen  User Photo
    Chung Nguyen • Graduate Verified via GitHub

As you can tell from the ratings, I really enjoyed my time at Hackbright. I'm more of a list person, so let's make some lists.

Pros:

• Excellent structure. First five weeks: lecture in the morning, lab, lunch, lecture in the afternoon, lab. Homework. Weekend assessments. Weeks six through ten: lecture in the morning, work on your projects the rest of the time. Weeks eleven and twelve: lectures and guest speakers on career things (interviewing tips, negotiations, whiteboarding, field trips). It's a very professional setup and I felt well cared for. [Side note: I also felt like I probably could have learned all the things I learned at HB on my own, but it would have taken at least 4x longer and be much more frustrating, so that alone justifies the tuition for me.]
    • Lots of feedback mechanisms in place. After every lecture / talk / event, there's a survey. And they take the survey results seriously and implement your feedback (if warranted). HB is not perfect, but they sure do work hard and constant improvement.
    • The network. Besides the people who work at HB, you become a part of this amazingly supportive alumnae community. I was actually really afraid of being with the same classmates all the time and also with a lot of women who may want to socialize a lot, but the end result was that I could put in however much effort into socialization as I wanted. I didn't feel pressured to grab lunch or talk. And regardless of my lack of socialization investment, I still felt like one of the team. And it was a great team. I really miss my cohort. And HB.
    • The mentors. I had varying degrees of closeness with my mentors but they were all amaizing and oh-so helpful! So cool that HB has this in place to further support us.
    • Career support. The career services team is resourceful, encouraging, and supportive. We updated our resumes, LinkedIn, wrote cover letters, ... we basically had everything in place to hit the ground running for the job search as soon as the program was over. I lucked out and landed a job with a partner company about a month after the program ended. I was prepared to allot myself 3 - 6 months for the job hunt, as that is a more reasonable / likely amount of time.

Cons:

• It's not cheap. Plus, you'll be doing it full time (plus!) so you won't be able to get a job. I feel really privileged to be able to take this leap, but I understand that not everyone can do it. Definitely consider your personal financial situation thoroughly before leaping.
    • It's tough. The program is tough. Software development is not easy work. It requires attention to detail, problem solving skills, patience, teamwork. This is a double-edged sword because I was thinking back on my old job where I knew most of the things to know and was not very challenged and made decent money. I definitely could've stayed on that trajectory. But I love challenges, so I went to HB and I know now that I'll be challenged for the rest of my life. Know this before you choose this path. :)

If you have any questions about my experience, feel free to read my blog post on it and reach out to me with questions. Happy to answer them!

• It has been great!
    - 10/5/2019
    Eloisa Furnaguera • Student

Coming to Hackbrigt has been an amazing experience overall.

Starting with the curriculum, I feel it has everything that you need to dive into the Software Engineering basics, and then taking it further until you are ready to make a full stack developed web app.

As soon as you finish with the Software Engineering course, Hackbright makes sure you are fully prepared to start looking for a full time job as a Software engineer, they give you tours with different hiring companies and you can have one-o-ones with hiring engineers to know about their hiring process.

Whiteboarding is another thing that I have learned at hackbright, which is truly helpful when you are going to be expected to do in every interview to get a job.

But the MOST IMPORTANT thing for me is the mission that Hackbright gives me, #ChangeTheRatio, and empowering other women that want to become a Software Engineer.

• Melissa • Forecast Analyst • Student

I have great things to say about this bootcamp,

I took the Part Time because I was working a full time job at the same time, and even though you are expected to do work after hours, its totally doable.

One of the things I liked the most about the course is that they not only prepare you into the technical aspect of Software Engineering, they also support you, give you advise and a whole week  dedicated completely to the job search that you are going to endure after finishing with the course.

Hackbright always made me feel empowered and the community as well as the instructors are amazing supporting you in every step of the course.

• Best decision!
    - 7/19/2018
    Margarita • Graduate

Hackbright has a very supportive environment. I am glad I joined Hackbright and thankful to everyone. Even after I finished, the staff is still very helpful with any questions I might have plus there is a mentor that comes twice a week at the alum lounge which I think is awesome and definitely helps during job searching time.

There is just too many amazing words to describe Hackbright.

• Suriya Mohan Selvaraj • Graduate

There are full-time and part-time positions available. I took the Full-Time and my experience with Hackbright was so good. Because the culture they bring in is not competitiveness but growth on support. The most I liked is pair Programming

• Benish Sarinelli • Student

As a working adult and parent, it was a difficult decision to quit my full-time job and attend Hackbright. I made the switch strategically by first attending their weekend boot camp course and then their prep course to get a feel of how they structure their coursework and teaching style. From the very beginning, I was blown away by their supportive and nurturing environment. They are really passionate about changing the ratio in tech and this mission is reflected in everything they do(i.e. teaching approach, opportunities for women, mentorship, etc). I am forever grateful to have spent the past 5 months (prep program + full-time program) with amazing women who are on a mission to become awesome SOFTWARE ENGINEERS! The passion to learn is contagious at Hackbright and I love it!

• Amee • Graduate

I cannot thank the Hackbright staff and my fellow cohort enough for my experience attending this bootcamp. Throughout my 12 weeks, I felt extremely supported by everyone I came into contact with, and the instructors readily make themselves available to help your software engineering journey in anyway they can. I feel this same support even after graduating and going into my job search period. If you are considering attending a coding bootcamp, I 100% recommend Hackbright.

• Duygu Ebcim • Graduate

I can't imagine a better place to start a new career.. Before applying Hackbright I had a very few coding experience and confidence in my skills.. It was such an intense program with updated curriculum which prepares you to the actual engineering field. The instructors were amazing, they were so eager to teach, help and very patient to us. I always felt their full support and belief in me during the bootcamp. At the beginning of the program I didin't take the career development sessions that serious but after a couple of weeks, I realized that how these people are working hard for us to build up our carreer, network and future with us.. So what is different after Hackbright? I definitely learned how to program.. Now I have a project that I build by myself, I learned a lot of technologies, algorithms.. I am building up a network on this field, I am still connected to my instructors, friends, alumni group and ofcourse career team..  And the most important one is that now I believe in myself during my engineering career.. The instructors, career team, their curriculum, their partner companies are all amazing.. As a graduate, I can definitely say that this was the best decision that I make in my career..

• Tal Yaacovi • Product Engineer • Graduate

My experience at Hackbright really exceeded my expectations for what a bootcamp could offer. I thought the curriculum was really strong and focused on the right areas to help me land a job as a software engineer. Although Python was the main language we learned, the program didn't spend the 10 educational weeks on making us experts in Python at the expense of learning other languages and frameworks. Instead, we learned enough Python to be comfortable, productive, and most importantly, be able to continue learning and teaching ourselves after the program. This allowed us to spend time on other critical topics like Computer Science fundamentals (memory, data structures, algorithms, runtime, etc.), JavaScript / jQuery / AJAX, and new technologies like React.

Besides the curriculum, the other area I think Hackbright excels in is the teaching staff. They know the material extremely well and care so much about the success of their students. This, combined with the caliber of students that Hackbright admits, who are all kind, supportive individuals, makes for a very supportive learning environment.

• Parul • Graduate

Overall, Hackbright offers a comprehensive curriculum for web development and core computer science fundamentals. As a bootcamp, the emphasis of learning is on practical tools, which can be immediately applied in a work setting. Specifically, we learned Python (its built-in data structures, object-oriented programming), Flask, Jinja, jquery and more. The instructors are incredibly capable and humble - sometimes we encounter coding problems that may take longer to debug, but the instructors manage to show us how to become good problem-solvers and continuously learn.

In terms of structure, the first five weeks involved 2 lectures each day followed by 2 labs with a partner. Pair programming helped refined students' abilities in communicating about code and software, reinforcing the lecture concepts. The next five weeks were dedicated to projects, which was a great application of the skills we had learned.

There were subject areas that I wished we had investigated more, such as algorithms and data structures. Or at least, it would have been nice to have more structure to the coding challenge section. However, the bootcamp is limited time and must also teach students to independently study these concepts as they leave.

Overall, I chose Hackbright for its emphasis on balance and community — the bootcamp 100% lived up to the expectations I had in these two areas.

Balance: In terms of my personal work habits, I knew I needed ~some~ structure, which Hackbright provided during the day for 8 hours. Basically, I needed someone to point me in the right direction day-to-day and teach me about practical tools. In the evening, I felt free to google away about whatever sparked my curiosity, like concurrency or playing a CLI game. This approach doesn’t work for everyone, but it did for me.

Community: For background, Hackbright is a bootcamp for women and has a clear focus of changing the ratio in tech. Beyond anything else, Hackbright impressed me with its ability to cultivate and sustain a supportive community. Now that I’ve completed the program, I know it’s true from firsthand experience: post-bootcamp, I’ve seen or chatted with a fellow Hackbrighter almost every day since. In fact, I’m going to a Hackbrighter’s birthday in a week! The sense of community doesn’t stop there — I feel incredibly lucky to have friends, colleagues, fellow SWEs that will share resources, teach me a new concept and empathize with me.

• Becca • Software Engineer at Reddit • Graduate

I attended Hackbright's prep course and then joined the full time program half way through. My coding experience was limited before hand, and I honestly didn't really know what I was getting myself into.

It was the best decision of my life.

I spent three months surrounded by some of the most inspiring, badass group of women I had ever met as we collectively embarked on the terrifying journey of transitioning into a very difficult career. The support system from these women was a huge key to my success in landing a job at Reddit less than two months after completing the program. One of my Hackbright classmates (who just landed a job at Eventbrite) came from a co-ed bootcamp where she said the culture of sexual harassment and general sexism was rampant. When reported to the staff, the staff said they don’t get involved with interpersonal issues. At Hackbright, that wasn’t an issue. We could worry about learning the really difficult content and building the confidence to go out into the job search and kick ass without feeling objectified and talked down to by our peers.

Aside from the environment, though, there was a strategic reason that I attended an all women’s boot camp: There is a huge push for companies to hire more women, and by attending a bootcamp that specifically trains women, I figured that they’d have relationships with lots of companies worth working for. This turned out to be true.

Ultimately, you will get out of a bootcamp what you put into it, but if you are willing to do the work, Hackbright can get you where you need to be.
  • student
    - 12/31/2017
    Amy • Graduate

Hackbright has an extremely welcoming, inclusive environment. If you're looking for amazing support from your classmates, definitely go here. I found the other women to be intelligent and kind, which makes their network really strong. The curriculum is great for getting a complete overview of the entire web development world. I would say the biggest area that needs improvment is the mentorship program. Some of the mentors were amazing and some were not very good. It's a little hit or miss right now, but they are constantly making improvments. I also really liked the individual project method of learning. It was really hands on and was the best part of the program.