careerfoundry-logo

CareerFoundry

CareerFoundry

CareerFoundry is an online bootcamp that offers flexibly paced programs for career changers in web development, UX design, UI design, and data analytics. Headquartered in Berlin but with a global student base, CareerFoundry has provided tech education since 2013. CareerFoundry combines the flexibility of online learning with the guidance of mentors and tutors through their dual mentorship model, training students to become job-ready in four to 12 month or their money back.

All programs cover the in-demand job skills required as well as real-world tools employed by professionals in the field. The 7-month Web Development Program explores HTML, CSS, JavaScript, API building, server-side development, test-driven development, progressive web apps, native app development, and more and covers how and when to use industry-standard tools including Atom, GitHub, Node, React, Angular, Vue, and Bootstrap and more. The 10-month UX Design Course explores the entire UX design process including ​user​ ​research​ ​and​ ​testing,​ ​rapid​ ​prototyping,​ ​iterative design,​ ​interaction​ ​design,​ ​responsive​ ​design,​ ​and visual​ ​design​, and covers the tools ​​Balsamiq,​ ​Sketch, Figma, ​InVision and more. The 6-month UI Design Program explores responsive design, visual design principles, designing for different platforms, wireframing, mockups, prototyping, testing, and UX design. It covers the tools Sketch, Adobe XD, InVision, Balsamiq, Figma and more. The 9-month Data Analytics Program explores statistical analysis and testing, data visualisation, data querying, predictive analysis and covers the programming language Python and tools Excel, TableauTableu, PostgreSQL and more.

All students will graduate with projects they can show to potential employers to ensure they land their first job. Web development students will create a simple portfolio website and a variety of apps, including a native app as well as a NoSQL database-driven React app complete with its own API. UX Design students work on three complete apps for their portfolio, choosing from various project options. UI Design students build a marketable portfolio that includes the UI for eight projects. Data analytics students work on six projects, covering designing and producing visualizations, dashboards, reports, presentations, and more.

Students have access to a dedicated Career Specialist who provides tailored coaching for job hunting and interviewing. Graduates of the program who do not land a job within six months of graduating are eligible for a full refund.

No previous experience is required to apply for the programs. Students should have access to a computer and an internet connection, and an interest in the topic they are planning to study. Students apply via the CareerFoundry website by connecting with an advisor who can talk through their options. Students will need to pay a deposit to secure their place, then complete the required pre-work before the program commences.

Recent CareerFoundry Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (1146) reviews for CareerFoundry →

Recent CareerFoundry News

Read all (34) articles about CareerFoundry →
  • Data Analytics Program

SQL, Python, Excel, Data Visualization, Data Analytics
    In this program, you'll learn all the job skills, tools, and processes you need to break into your new career as a data analyst—with a job guarantee to boot. You’ll receive individualized mentorship through our dual mentorship model that pairs you with not one but two data professionals to support, advise, and give feedback throughout the program. The program is 100% online and flexibly-paced, and our curriculum is expert-authored and built entirely in-house, providing a rigorous, project-based, and adaptive learning experience. The full journey is split into three parts: Intro to Data Analytics, Data Immersion, and Job Preparation. This setup ensures you start out with the basics, and finish as an expert in data analytics with a professional portfolio with real-world projects to set you apart in the job market. You’ll also have a solid approach to your job search, and the ongoing support of our Career Services Team as you apply for jobs and prepare for interviews as a qualified data analyst.
    Full tuition available through our partner Skills Fund
    Tuition PlansContact us at olivia@careerfoundry.com for tuition plans and pricing in Euros and Pounds.
    Refund / GuaranteeTwo week trial period—cancel and receive a full refund. Job guarantee available for eligible applicants.
    ScholarshipContact us at olivia@careerfoundry.com to learn about scholarships offered.
  • Digital Marketing Program

Social Media Marketing, Digital Marketing
    In this program, you’ll learn all the job skills, tools, and processes you need to become a digital marketer—with a job guarantee to boot. You’ll receive individualized mentorship through our dual mentorship model that pairs you with not one but two marketing professionals to support, advise, and give feedback throughout the program. The program is 100% online and flexibly-paced, and our curriculum is expert-authored and built entirely in-house, providing a rigorous, project-based, and adaptive learning experience. The full journey is split into three parts: Intro to Digital Marketing, Digital Marketing Immersion, and Job Preparation. This setup ensures you start out with the basics and finish as an expert in digital marketing with a professional portfolio with real-world projects to set you apart in the job market. You’ll also have a solid approach to your job search, and the ongoing support of our Career Services Team as you apply for jobs and prepare for interviews. With 96% of our eligible graduates successfully landing jobs within six months of graduation, we’re confident about the quality and effectiveness of our process. Graduate from our Digital Marketing Program, follow our job search guidelines, and you’ll land a job in the field within 180 days of graduation—or your money back.
    Climb Credit, Ascent Funding
    Refund / Guarantee14 days
    Minimum Skill LevelNo marketing experience is required.
    Prep WorkNo prep work is required.
  • Full-Stack Web Development Program

CSS, Front End, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Agile, Algorithms, AngularJS, Git, MongoDB, MVC, Node.js, React.js, REST, Scrum, SQL
    In this program, you’ll learn all the job skills, tools, and processes you need to break into your new career as a web developer—with a job guarantee to boot. You’ll receive individualized mentorship through our dual mentorship model that pairs you with not one but two web development professionals to support, advise, and give feedback throughout the program. The program is 100% online and flexibly-paced, and our curriculum is expert-authored and built entirely in-house, providing a rigorous, project-based, and adaptive learning experience. The full journey is split into three four parts: Intro to Frontend Development, Full-Stack Immersion, and Job Preparation. This setup ensures you start out with the basics, and finish as an expert in web development with specialized knowledge and a professional portfolio with real-world projects to set you apart in the job market. You’ll also have a solid approach to your job search, and the ongoing support of our Career Services Team as you apply for jobs and prepare for interviews as a qualified web developer.
    Financing available via SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans7 monthly instalments or an upfront fee. Contact us at olivia@careerfoundry.com for pricing in Euros and Pounds.
    ScholarshipContact us at olivia@careerfoundry.com to get a $500 scholarship.
  • UI Design Program

Design, Mobile, User Experience Design, HTML, JavaScript
    In this program, you’ll learn all the job skills, tools, and processes you need to break into your new career as a UI designer—with a job guarantee to boot. You’ll receive individualized mentorship through our dual mentorship model that pairs you with not one but two UI professionals to support, advise, and give feedback throughout the program. The program is 100% online and flexibly-paced, and our curriculum is expert-authored and built entirely in-house, providing a rigorous, project-based, and adaptive learning experience. The full journey is split into four parts: Intro to UI Design, UI Immersion, your choice of one specialization (Frontend Development for Designers, or Voice User Interface Design or Animation for UI Designers), and Job Preparation. This setup ensures you start out with the basics, and finish as an expert in UI Design with specialized knowledge and a professional portfolio with real-world projects to set you apart in the job market. You’ll also have a solid approach to your job search, and the ongoing support of our Career Services Team as you apply for jobs and prepare for interviews as a qualified UI designer.
    Financing available via Skills Fund
    Minimum Skill LevelNone required
  • UX Design Program

User Experience Design, Design, Front End, HTML, JavaScript
    In this program you’ll learn all the job skills, tools, and processes you need to break into your new career as a UX designer—with a job guarantee to boot. You’ll receive individualized mentorship through our dual mentorship model that pairs you with not one but two UX professionals to support, advise, and give feedback throughout the program. The program is 100% online and flexibly-paced, and our curriculum is expert-authored and built entirely in-house, providing a rigorous, project-based, and adaptive learning experience. The full journey is split into four parts: Intro to UX Design, UX Immersion, your choice of one specialization (User Interface Design for UX Designers, Frontend Development for Designers, or Voice User Interface Design), and Job Preparation. This setup ensures you start out with the basics, and finish as an expert in UX with specialized knowledge and a professional portfolio of real-world projects to set you apart in the job market. You’ll also have a solid approach to your job search, and the ongoing support of our Career Services Team as you apply for jobs and prepare for interviews as a qualified UX designer.
    Financing available via Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans10 monthly instalments or an upfront fee. Contact us at olivia@careerfoundry.com for pricing in Euros and Pounds.
    ScholarshipContact us at olivia@careerfoundry.com to get a $500 scholarship.
  • Beccy • Student

Today I'm quitting Career Foundry and these are my reasons.

1) I signed up thinking I could do the course at my own pace. CF shouldn't advertise their courses saying "study online at your own pace", it is a misleading statement.

2) When my laptop crashed and I had no computer for 2 weeks, I asked for an extension and was declined on the basis that I wasn't keeping track. If felt like they were saying to me "you're a bad student, and bad students get punished", and this left me stressed.

3) Once I became aware of the time limit, I started rushing my assignments, the quality of my work suffered, and I stopped enjoying it. I was doing the course based on my own app idea, so it was really important that I did it properly and took my time.

4) A lot of people on Course Report have been saying that the course takes 2-3 times longer than the stated 15 hours per week. I don't have a spare 15-30 hours more each week, and I am not willing to pay 2-3 times the amount of money to finish it.

In summary, my experience of CF is that you use misleading advertising jargon, don't put your students learning needs at the core of your value proposition, have poor customer service, and care more about money than a good student experience. I think your company culture comes across as defensive. The only thing that gives your company a heart is your course tutors, they bring life to the subject, where your content is lacking in depth.

Response From: Rosie Allabarton of CareerFoundry
    Title: Blog Editor
    Wednesday, Nov 02 2016
    Dear Beccy

As you know from our email correspondence, we are disappointed that you have chosen to cancel your CareerFoundry course, despite our repeated efforts to try to resolve this situation. We value all of our students, and it was clear from your work that you were a passionate, ambitious and talented UX designer. We are very sorry to see you go, as is your tutor.

I’d like to take the opportunity to address some of the points in your review.

Your wrote in your review: “When my laptop crashed and I had no computer for 2 weeks, I asked for an extension and was declined on the basis that I wasn't keeping track. If felt like they were saying to me "you're a bad student, and bad students get punished", and this left me stressed.”

As we mentioned in our email, after considering your case we did extend your course for 2 weeks free of charge after your laptop broke down. We always try to be empathetic when the personal circumstances of our students’ inhibit their ability to keep up with their coursework, and we do make allowances for those who are unable to study due to their personal situations, within reason.

In your case, we not only extended your course for 2 weeks free of charge, we also offered you an extra month of the course free of charge, including full mentor access, due to the stress you felt you were under from being behind on your assignments. Altogether we offered you an extra 6 weeks of study time for no extra cost. We were extremely sorry that despite this you chose not to continue studying with us.

You wrote in your review: “[you] don't put your students learning needs at the core of your value proposition, have poor customer service, and care more about money than a good student experience. I think your company culture comes across as defensive.”

We were saddened to read that this was your experience of the CareerFoundry team and extremely sorry you felt unsupported by us, despite our best efforts. Our Student Advisors work tirelessly on meeting the needs of our students, to ensure they stay on track in their studies, have a great relationship with their mentor or tutor and have their feet firmly on the career ladder of their new industry by the time they have graduated. The student experience is crucial to everything we do, and the reason we all work so hard.

If you would like to continue the conversation further, we would be only too happy to hear from you again and see if there is any way we can still resolve this. My email address is below.

Best,

Rosie Allabarton

rosie@careerfoundry.com
  • Ilse • marketing manager • Graduate

I highly recommend Career Foundry's Web development course. I had some background in coding, mostly by learning through Codacademy. However, I was looking for something a bit more substantial.

This course is intense, but in the good way. The exercises, topics and skills covered give you a good basic understanding of the webdevelopment spectrum, and leave room for more exploration if you want to dive deeper. Every expersice includes theory, and hands on coding. The results are submitted to your mentor. If something is not working, you will have to fix it. This urges you to learn and think as a coder, where can the bug be?! Sometimes it's frustrating and time consuming, but the eureka (!) moment you 'get it' is very gratifying. By urging you to get it right, Career Foundry also maintains the quality of the curriculum.

My mentor was very helpful. He wrote me long emails explaining where I could improve. Or we used video chat over slack when I got really stuck. He always helped me progress and was very encouraging.

I'm a college graduate, I'm used to communicating in English and I'm used to study by my self. I took the 'part-time' course. I have a full time job (40+) hours a week. Be prepared to spend two night and a weekend-day, or your whole weekend on coursework. I finished within 6 months, it's doable but you have to commit serious time and effort.

Overal, I highly recommend Carreer Foundry

• Seyon Wind • Graduate

Pros:

• Self paced
    • Supportive staff
    • Job placement support

Cons:

• Curriculum needs work
    • Dependent on mentor
    • Not entirely "job-ready"

My frustration with the shortcomings of the UX course content was counter-balanced by the friendly, responsive staff at CF. They addressed all of my questions and concerns quickly and to my satisfaction. This included changing mentors after my first one was non-responsive, and ongoing job support even after I graduated.

After finishing this course I had one end-to-end project piece for my portfolio and a fairly good understanding of the UX design process, but you'll need more than that to get hired as a UX designer, especially if you're coming from an unrelated field.

Companies want to see client work samples, not just student projects. Cold applying to jobs doesn't get you very far - you'll need connections within the design industry to get much needed personal referrals. Unless you're already in a similar role (graphic design, visual design, product management, front-end development, etc.) plan to go to a lot of meetups, workshops, conferences and/or hackathons to build your network.

• Great bootcamp!
    - 10/18/2016
    Alexandre Ouellette

Before enrolling with CareerFoundry, I had tried to learn to program web applications on my own. It was a struggle to find material that guided you properly and made you feel like you could write apps later.

CareerFoundry's web development curriculum is great, it guides you just enough and it pushes you to explore interesting concepts on your own.

My mentor was very nice and available relatively quickly to answer my questions. They would always be able to get me out of a jam. I was enrolled in the program before the tutor/mentor change was made, and I think that having someone to help you prepare for jobs is very important.

What I found to be the best part of the bootcamp is the community of students and staff. Students are encouraged to work together, help each other with issues. The placement staff is also very helpful, they help you setup a good online presence and have many tips and leads regarding finding your next job.

Overall, I was very satisfied with CareerFoundry and can't recommend it enough.

• UI Designer
    - 10/18/2016
    Ansh Deb

The best UI Designer Course I have taken so far. I have tried a few other smaller courses, over time but nothing compares to Careerfoundry. The mentors, the helpful slack group, the instant customer support, everything is TOP NOTCH !!

Moreover, at times I felt overwhelmed at the tasks and how much they expected, but eventually as I reached the end of the course, I realised how thorough those rigorous tasks made me with my work.

Great Experience. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• UI Designer
    - 10/17/2016
    Norman Dubois • UI Designer • Student

I'm currently doing an apprenticeship as a media designer and wanted to learn more about UI/UX Design. I browsed through the internet and found careerfoundry, so I decided to took this class.
    I started in august, so I'm doing this course for 2 months now, and I already learned so much cool things.
    The practically oriented exercises are so much fun and you can really learn a lot from them. If you stuck there's always a great community around you which will help you! The conversations in the slack channel and my fellow students are awesome and it makes a lot of fun to help and support each other! :)
    You'll have a mentor all over the course who will help you doing your exercises and designing your apps. My mentor is amazing and has an answer to all of my questions. Not only is he answering them, he's only giving me some further information, etc... He normaly replies faster than 24h after I asked him something, which is really cool. The feedback I' getting from him is also very helpful and you can learn so much from it! I can't recommend the mentor based approach enough. It's just amazing!

All in all I'm so happy that I took this class, because I already learned so much new and interesting stuff. If you're interested in UI design I can only recommend you taking this class! I'm really enjoying it!

• Terri Rodriguez-Hong • Graduate

Once upon a time.... I was sitting in my first real interview and it was good feeling to be with "the big cheeses" I did not get the job, but the UX Director gave me some really great advice. Terri, you have a solid background, but I think you need more UX, so I recommend you take a class. So that is where my story starts. I took his advice and I look, hunted, look, turn over rocks, check out bootcamps... Wholly crap! Talk about expensive. I would have to sell my left leg to get into a class like that. Fast forwarding now... I came across Careerfoundry... email them some questions they got back to me less then 24 hours. The price was right not too expensive plus I could make payments if I wanted to (paid in full). So I broke down and did the UX course. The UX course was a lot fun and yes some of was dry, not going to lie, but it was something that you had to do and understand what you are learning. They go over surveys, personas, wireframes, design, your resume to your portfolio. The best thing that Careerfoundry has going is the class comes with the mentor. I have to honestly say it is the mentor and the slack community makes a huge differences. The mentor is the key... gonna be honest not all mentors are the same but in my book if you don't gel with your mentor you can get another one. You just have to be proactive about it and let Careerfoundry know or even better tell your mentor what your want and what your needs are. They are there to help you. If you don't say anything nothing will happen they can not read your mind. I realize most students want out of their crappy jobs... trust me been there. There is a process you have to go through.. I know this part sucks you want to take the class and get out of your crappy job. Take your time with the class and learn.. if you can push it then you can... I would recommend Careerfoundry... actually I finish the UX course and yes worked off my tail. I was able to get a UI/UX visual designer job. I almost double my salary, but along the way I had tons of phone interviews some I bomb and some I did good. I had face to face yes some bomb and some was good and the more you have. The more you will be able to hone in your style of interviewing. So don't give up and keep moving forward. I love the UX class so much that I am taking the UI course now with my new gig. So if I can do it then you can do it as well. Don't waste months thinking about it like it... Dive in and click that button. I am glad I did.

• Caroline • UX Analyst • Graduate

I started the CareerFoundry course after already doing a UX design week-long short course with another company. It had been really hard to grasp the basics of UX in a week and althiugh I'd been working as a UX designer for about four months previously, I really needed a confidence boost.

Studying the CareerFoundry course was the making of me.  It is coursework-based and pupils are allowed to work on the UX project of their choice. I chose to redesign my company’s help and support offering which meant I got to learn and also positively impact the company too.

The main benefits for me were:

• the bite-sized lesson plans (I tried to do three each week after work)
    • the bi-weekly Skype sessions with a mentor
    • the after-care following the course.

I’m still in contact with my mentor Sophie Lepinoy who has been a real inspiration to me. I also love the Slack channel as it is a great way of keeping in contact with other graduates and learning about the latest UX developments.

Studying UX with CareerFoundry has given me the confidence that I actually have a useful skill, an identity and a career path. It has also opened doors for me. I got the travel bug in December 2015 and moved from the UK to Christchurch, New Zealand to work as a UX Designer for digital agency, NV Interactive. I then moved to Auckland to work as a UX Analyst for Datacom who are New Zealand’s largest IT company. I genuinely don’t think I would have had the confidence to apply for these roles overseas without my CareerFoundry training.

Response From: Rosie Allabarton of CareerFoundry
    Title: Blog Editor
    Tuesday, Nov 15 2016
    Hi Caroline!

Thanks so much for reviewing CareerFoundry and sharing your experiences working as a UX designer and travelling the world!

Stories like yours are an inspiration to the many people who are looking to make a change in their lives, start a new career and get more satisfaction from what they do day in, day out. Your career path is also proof that with the right education and commitment it is possible to gain the confidence and skills to be the best at what you want to be.

We are so proud of the work you put in, and what you have achieved with the help of our career guidance and UX skills training.

We look forward to hearing more of your adventures in UX design in the months and years to come!

Best,

Rosie

rosie@careerfoundry.com

• Maysoon Al-Quran • Professional Services Engineer • Graduate

I wandered alot on the internet before someone recommended CF for me!

I have been always interested in the UX field and wanted to become an expert in it, unfortunately the more I "googled" it the more it became complex and harder to learn!

CareerFoundry UX course developed a study area, where the material is well organized, resources are available, experts are on-call, 1 on 1 communication channels, and the best of all; the established a community for the students to connect through! Where we can share thoughts, experiences and fun.

I am so confident about my skills, I am starting to lecture my colleagues about UX.

• ALEJANDRO GINES MARTINEZ • Student

I started the web development course in the beginning of April and finished it by the second half of September. I thought I could finish the course in less time. But for someone with no previous experience in coding, I felt that I needed all that time to assimilate and practice all the concepts and the information contained in the course, which is a lot in a very short period of time.

To someone starting a course online like this, I would recommend self-discipline and consistency. It is really easy to get detracted and you do need to spend time on it everyday.

Getting all available support was really important and necessary for me. In this sense, mentoring and tutoring were an underpinning aspect of my experience. As clear and concise as the materials are, I don’t think I would have succeeded without the constant support and feedback from both tutor and mentor. Your tutor is available for you on slack a set of hours every day and I cannot highlight enough how important this is. My mentor was key in my learning process and he also gave the support I needed when I thought that the course wasn’t working for me.

I got very detailed and professional video feedback from my mentor as well, and the mentor calls really helped me keep track and stick to my goals throughout the process.

Course materials and learning resources are comprehensive and constantly updated. The course is structured in such a way that you acquire the core skills that are needed to become a web developer. When I mention skills, I don’t mean the coding languages you learn (you’re trained both in frontend and backend) but a certain attitude and predisposition that all web developers need to have to be successful: being resourceful, resilient, analytic, cooperate with others whilst still being independent enough to find solutions to problems. They train you on how to develop the ability to grasp how code works in general so that every time you learn a new language it’s just easier because you can relate to the languages you already know and establish parallelisms. After all, code is code and all languages follow a certain pattern of syntax with many common aspects. Concerning the languages they teach, I did find necessary to have a few lessons on PHP. Although it’s not the best of backend languages, it’s still broadly demanded by employers and the course doesn’t cover it.

Once you enrol in your course and after your finish your course, you have full access to all those resources online and the great thing about this is that you can still keep learning and studying the updated course materials. This makes easy for you to be always ahead and up to date with changes in web development.

The career advisor team accompanied me all the way through my job searching process even before I had completed the course. They gave me all professional support I needed to have a new CV as a web developer and update my linkedin profile accordingly to fit into the industry standards. And they helped me to find a paid internship as a frontend developer when I finished the course.

In all, as someone without any previous knowledge in coding, I feel the Career Foundry Web development course prepared me to become a junior web developer in every single aspect and they provided me with the skills to take my knowledge further once I finished the course.

However, I don’t want to give a misleading message. No one learns coding in 6 months, and this is not what they promise –in case there’s any confusion. You need to be mentally ready and willing to dot whatever it takes for this to work  for you.  The course is highly demanding in terms of time and energy and you are expected to be really focused, positive, motivated and driven by the desire of experimenting a real career change.

And by the way, they don’t hide this, as they make this very clear before you enrol so that you’re not led to confusion on what the course requires from you.

• Work hard
    - 9/13/2016
    Alexander • Freelancer • Graduate

I did some research before choosing Careerfoundry, and i liked how they were very helpfull, telling me about the course and how it worked. I then decided to start the web developer course, i had some experience from before so the front end went really fast. The ruby on rails part there was some ups and down, i wasnt so lucky to get a good mentor, was almost never online and i had to rely on myself to find all the answers.

I managed to finish this course in 3 months even though choosing the 6 month, never giving up is the answer and as a web developer you need to be independent alot, which i learned. Once though when i got replies it was very vague and didnt really show me where to go.

If i would improve something is having the mentors more active and talking with you.

• Laura Theis

After much research, I decided the length of the course and the affordability of the CareerFoundry Web Developer course fit well for me. The course is a great guided framework of the tools, language and methodology of the development world. If you're looking for a fully-guided fully immersed course, this is not the one for you. I found that it required quite a bit of outisde learning with all the other great web developmer courses suchs Ruby the Hard Way, Ruby Koans, etc. to supplement this course.

Much work and effort will need to be put in on your end, but that's ok!, you're learning a new skill.

You should allow sufficient time for your tutors and mentors to get back to you, but they are a huge resource to get you set in the right direction. Having both a tutor for the technical help and the mentor for job assistance was really great!

Thanks CareerFoundry for helping me to make the jump to a new job!