northwestern-boot-camps-logo

Northwestern Boot Camps

Chicago, Chicago

Northwestern Boot Camps

Northwestern Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time, or 24-week, part-time web development courses, and 24-week, part-time data science, cybersecurity, UX/UI, and financial technology (FinTech) courses. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The fintech curriculum covers Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

The UX/UI program provides hands-on training in user-centric design research, design thinking, visual prototyping and wireframing, interface design, storyboarding, visual design theory, web prototyping with HTML5 and CSS, interaction design with JavaScript and jQuery, and more.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll in the boot camps, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Northwestern Boot Camps are designed for professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or are looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. Upon program completion, students will receive a Certificate of Completion from Northwestern School of Professional Studies and will have a portfolio of projects or learn skills applicable to certifications demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data science, cybersecurity, UX/UI, or financial technology.

Northwestern Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent Northwestern Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.24

all (76) reviews for Northwestern Boot Camps →

Recent Northwestern Boot Camps News

Read all (3) articles about Northwestern Boot Camps →
  • Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationChicago
    Northwestern Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationChicago
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Algorithms, Blockchain, Excel, Machine Learning, Python
    LocationChicago
    Get hands-on training and instruction in financial technology and analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your current schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, and gain access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
    Payment plans available
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

jQuery, MongoDB, Node.js, CSS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, MySQL, React.js
    LocationChicago
    Northwestern Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Node.js, MongoDB, MySQL, jQuery, Git, React.js
    LocationChicago
    Northwestern Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • UX/UI - Part-Time

CSS, Design, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design
    LocationChicago
    Get hands-on training and instruction in UX/UI design methodology, design software skills, front end web prototyping technologies and frameworks including HTML/CSS, interaction design with JavaScript and jQuery, and more. Maintain your current schedule by studying part-time, and apply what you’ve learned toward building a comprehensive portfolio of projects ranging from AI sketches to mobile-responsive web layouts.
    Payment plans available

• $500 Northwestern Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Northwestern Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Chicago)
    • Financial Technology - Part-Time (Chicago)
    - 10/22/2018
    Eric Korslin • Student • Student

Overall, I would give the Boot Camp at Northwestern a solid A.  Our instructor was extremely engaging & knowledgable in the topics relevant to the current job market.  Additionally, he was a motivator who pushed us when necessary...the coarse is by no means a sprint -- more of a marathon.  Regardless, I feel great about the experience, especially when looking at opportunities for career transition in the Chicagoland area.  The Northwestern brand, also, carries a weight all its own, and should help land me on the professional path I've been working toward.

Thursday, Nov 29 2018
    Thank you for your review, Eric! We're thrilled to hear your instructor was extremely knowledgeable and encouraging. Congratulations on completing such a rigorous program, we commend all your hard work. We wish you all the success in your upcoming career search and future endeavors!
  • Motolani A. Alimi • Graduate

I joined the Data-Science bootcamp at Northwestern University because I was seeking a career change and excited for the next chapter or phase of my life. I already loved Statistics and the possibilities with machine learning and Data manipulation with different programming languages such Python & R thrilled me so much, I had a deep hunger for more knowledge and boy! did that get that from day one!

My favorite aspect of the program was the immense support from the boot camp team they truly want to see you succeed and fulfill your destiny and calling. They offered sound advice in regards to what you will experience in a real-time example of work and then we received great feedback on each of the assignments which meant that there is great potential to be on the expert level of each of the subject matter.

My advice for prospective students is to always strive for Excellence but also check your wellness status. You will excel when you feel confident in your craft. Always seek counsel from other experts, they will help you get on the right and comfortable path.

Signing out,

Motols. :-)

Monday, Oct 15 2018
    Amazing, Motolani! We are so glad you chose our program to make such an exciting career change. It's great to hear our entire team supported you throughout your boot camp journey and provided great feedback. Great advice for prospective students — we completely agree that you will excel when you feel confident in your craft. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best moving forward!
  • Cate • Graduate

I really enjoyed the Northwestern Data Science Boot Camp. It is a great way to learn the technical skills needed to start a career in the tech industry. The instructors and TA’s are very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I had recently graduated with a bachelors in Psychology before applying for the boot camp. I did not have any prior programming knowledge before starting the course, however, that didn’t stop me from maintaining an A. They do a great job teaching you the skills from the ground up. You for sure get out what you put into the class. I feel confident that this boot camp gave me the foundation I need to get into the industry.

Friday, Oct 05 2018
    Way to go, Cate! We are glad to hear you had a great student experience and were continually supported by your instructors and TAs. This program is challenging, so we commend all of your hard work — especially as a beginner in the field. Congratulations on graduating, we are rooting you on as you continue forward!
  • Great experience!
    - 7/17/2018
    Scott Saltzman • Technical Project Manager • Student

This course far exceeded my expectations.  The instructor was amazing.  I was a little concerned that I would not be able to keep up with the pace of the course while working a 50 hour work week. This is a very tough course, but the instructor does a great job of keeping you motivated and the instruction staff is always there to help you through any topics you are struggling with.  The program does a great job of getting the students to work together.  Just about any time of day you could message someone in the class for help or share resourses.

Overall, I can not say enough great things about this experiance. The instructors knowledge and energy was second to none. The instructional staff  are all industry professionals. I spent a little over 2 years working with online courses and I could never put it all together.  This course brought it all together for me.

Wednesday, Jul 18 2018
    Thank you so much for your review, Scott! We know it takes real commitment to balance life with the fast-pace of the boot camp, so we commend your dedication to a course as challenging as this one. We are happy to hear our instructional staff kept you motivated and that you were able to collaborate with other classmates. Congratulations on graduating! We hope you're proud of all the hard work you devoted and can't wait to see where your new skills will take you. Best of luck moving forward!
  • Aditi Mishra • Data Analyst • Graduate

I had an incredible and truly life changing experience with the Northwestern Web Development Boot Camp, most of which I attribute to my instructor: Mark Thompson.  I did the Full Stack Flex (part-time) program, and Mark's ability to keep us all engaged until nearly 10 PM at night after a full day at work was nothing short of a miracle.  Class was not only educational, it was actually fun!  It was often the highlight of my day.  Mark was so genuinely excited to teach that I found him doing push ups outside the classroom on more than one occasion.

To provide some background: I have no coding experience.  I have an undergraduate degree in economics and applied math, and I work at MB Financial Bank where I spent 2+ years on the Commercial Finance side.  I'm currently still at MB, but now working with our Data Analytics team and plan to apply elsewhere in the future.

The curriculum, and the speed at which it's taught, is honestly soul crushing LOL.   This class will take over your life.  You will not have time to workout, or get enough sleep, or socialize, or do anything else you want to do, but it is possible to graduate!  Just know what you're getting yourself into.  It will be difficult to dedicate any more than 40 hours a week to your job.

Wednesday, Jun 13 2018
    Way to go, Aditi! Our instructors have a real passion for teaching and student success - we also think Mark is pretty amazing. Like you mentioned, this program does require extensive hours of study, so we commend you for all the hard work you dedicated to the course material - it definitely paid off and shows at your current job role! Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review. We wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.
    - 6/1/2018
    Kelly • Student

I attended the full time, January-April web development boot camp at Northwestern University and had an overwhelmingly positive experience. As a complete beginner to the world of technology and coding, I was concerned I wouldn't be at the right level from the start, or quickly fall behind as the course kicked off. On the first day, I discovered there was a huge range of backgrounds and technical abilities in the class. The instructional team did everything in their power to cater to those who were true beginners and those who were a little more experienced with additional steps and work during class if you were ahead of the game and more complex homework assignments that were optional for all students.

I came out of the class feeling much more confident in my skills than I ever thought possible, and excited about continuing to learn and grow as a developer. At the end of the day, I truly believe it came down to the instructional team. While the program itself (curriculum and career services) should also play a role in your decision when choosing a boot camp, I think it all really comes down to the instructor. We were lucky to have CJ, who was extremely passionate and dedicated to our success. She came in early, stayed late, and occasionally set up additional on campus reviews on the weekends. As a part of the Trilogy curriculum team, we knew she was invested in making sure we were learning languages and technologies that would be the most marketable for us when we completed the course.

The job assistance portion could be improved as we were never connected with real employers, but they are helpful as far as behavioral interview prep, salary negotiation, etc.

Overall, I had a great experience and miss going to class every day!

Monday, Jun 04 2018
    Thank you for your review, Kelly! We are thrilled you had such a positive experience learning valuable web development skills through our program. Like you mentioned, we provide a comprehensive curriculum built for individuals across a wide range of proficiency levels, ranging from those with more experience to novice beginners. Our instructional team is passionate about teaching and enabling student success, so we are thrilled you left the program excited and eager to continue learning and growing as a web developer - we also think CJ is pretty fantastic!

We're glad that you found the interview prep and salary negotiation portions of our career services helpful! While we do not secure direct employment for our students, we work to empower them with the necessary resources and support they need to enter the workforce. We strive to be clear about the scope of our career services assistance, so students can maximize this aspect of the course. We are constantly refining our professional development to best help students, so we appreciate you sharing this feedback. It's our goal for all individuals to leave the program feeling prepared and confident about the job search, so we would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and provide any additional career planning assistance you may need at this time. Please contact me directly at (312) 416-9979. Thank you for your review and we wish you all the best!
  • Daniel • Associate Developer

Let me get this out of the way: you get what you put into this program. You need to commit the time and effort in order to be successful, like anything else. Now, let me explain why this program made it easier for me to grasp the copious amount of information that is jammed into the short six months. The instructors and TAs. Both of my instructors and all of the TAs were so helpful. They went completely out of their way to help out anytime I needed it. Rather it be by coming in early and staying late or hosting off-hour live tutorials a few times a month. I cannot express enough how great this program is.

My main instructor was Mark and the other instructor was Scott. Both of them were absolutely fantastic but my instructor review will primarily be about Mark. Mark is a maestro (or wizard) at coding. He is able to break down the most difficult concepts and explain it in a way that was easy to understand and apply to activities and projects. Mark constantly held off-hour online tutorials for anyone to join to go over the extremely difficult portions of the content.  He actually received the Teaching Excellence Award and rightfully so. The man is better than a majority, if not all, of my professors from my undergraduate program. Everyone wants you to succeed and will go out of their way to help you.

I am still in contact with the job assistance team that is offered through this program. Jobs were constantly sent over to me throughout the program and after. Having received many offers and accepting a new job; they check in periodically to see how I am fairing. Which solidifies my statement on how much they truly care. If you're ready to give 110% I would recommend this to you.

Wednesday, May 02 2018
    Hi Daniel, thank you so much for taking the time to share this review. We’re thrilled you had such a positive experience with this program. It is essential to stay motivated during your boot camp journey, as such, it makes us proud to hear our instructors and TA's worked hard to encourage and support you. It's great you had such high regards for Scott and Mark - we also agree they are pretty fantastic!

Our Career Services team makes it their mission to help students succeed, so it’s wonderful they continue to be of great help to you. We’re really passionate about what we do and strive to provide a supportive student experience, so we’re glad this truly resonated with you! Congratulations on all of the hard work you put into completing the program! We wish you continued success in your future endeavors.
  • Codi • Graduate

I had a great experience with Northwestern Boot Camp. I attended a full time program this winter at the Downtown Chicago campus. My instructor CJ was extremely knowledgable in the subject matter and presented and explained the material very well. She, as well as both of our TAs, were very dedicated to the success of the students in the class. They hosted office hours daily and were available for help outside of the classroom whenever possible. The material and work load was challenging, but manageable as long as you put in the effort. Overall I would recommend this boot camp to anybody interested in and dedicated to learning web development!

Monday, Apr 30 2018
    Codi, it’s great to hear from you and we’re thankful that you took the time to write this review! We’re glad you had such a positive experience with the boot camp and especially your instructor. We think CJ is pretty great too! She has a real passion for teaching and it shows. As far as your advice, we couldn’t agree more. This program is definitely challenging, but you’ve put in the hard work it takes to get the most out of it.

Thank you again for sharing with us. We wish you great success and are excited to see what you continue to accomplish!
  • CG • Student • Student

I was hesitant to sign up for a full time bootcamp knowing the hours of attention needed to be successful in/out of class, so when I found out Northwestern had a part time option I went for it.

Interview process was fairly straightforward. If you have done any coding tutorials/research at all and show your interest in web development you will be fine. I was glad I had already come up with all my boot camp questions before answering my phone call from the trilogy recruiter, as the initial phone call is the start of your interview.

Prework is basic enough to not scare you but gives a sneak peak into the basics of what you'll cover over the six or three month course.

If you are starting from zero as I did, I HIGHLY recommend studying as much as possible through resources like Code School and Udemy to gain as much traction as possible and be prepared for what is coming. Having some knowledge of the base concepts in each technology/language we were going to cover in the course absolutely helped in completing assignments and understanding the material.

My instructor was hands down one of the BEST instructors I've ever had in my life. The encouragement, support, and knowledge he had of anything we discussed was outstanding. He knew exactly when the class needed some emotional support and a pep talk and was honest about his own experience in job seeking and pushing through the discouraging and encouraging parts of entering this job path. My instructor took time to prepare review sessions during office hours, build applications from scratch, and recorded videos on his own if we ran out of time during official class hours. Just enough fun to keep my attention but serious enough to get the work done. It is obvious he genuinely cares about the success of every single student who enters his classroom. I cannot say enough good things about the instruction I had.

Research instructors and read reviews if possible to find an instructor whose teaching style works for you. Everyone is different, and having an instructor that fits well with your learning style is essential to being successful.

Career services is the only part of the course that felt disorganized. The career services isn't necessarily anyone within your city (same goes for your tutor, if you use them--I had a fantastic experience once I got a TA directly linked to the Northwestern Triology program), and I think it would have been more beneficial to have interacted and built a relationship with one career advisor throughout the course instead of being passed around to multiple people. Comments on my online portfolio and resume seemed a little robotic.

Other than that -- amazing experience. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a career change or to upgrade their current skillset. I am a little terrified to begin the job search but feel like I have a lot of people rooting for me.

Friday, Apr 27 2018
    Thank you for this detailed review, CG! We are incredibly happy to hear that your experience was everything we strive so hard to provide. Your observations about the program are extremely helpful for future students to know. We understand our curriculum is intensive and requires serious dedication. Like you suggested, completing the pre-work before the first day of class, as well as staying on top of the coursework, is essential for mastering the concepts and skills.

It's great to hear you had such a positive classroom experience, with your instructor tailoring their teaching style to best help your class learn difficult material. We think the instructional team is pretty amazing too! We carefully select our teaching staff to ensure students receive the support and attention they need, so we are thrilled you felt valued and highly encouraged throughout every step of the way.

This is a challenging program, so it's fantastic you were able to benefit from our tutoring services. Our career services team works every day to help students not only succeed in their initial job search, but in all future tech roles through resume support, technical interview training, portfolio reviews, and more. We strive to set clear expectations and provide individualized support, so we thank you for your feedback, as it helps us continue improving. We’re so excited for your continued success, and wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Andrew Zdunek • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate

Cj Jordan was an excellent instructor who displayed professionalism, knowledge and a great personality. Assistance from the TA's was always positive and the cohort in general was an enjoyable experience.

Thursday, Apr 26 2018
    Thank you so much for sharing your review, Andrew. We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your boot camp experience and thought so highly of our instructional staff - we think CJ is pretty awesome too! Congratulations on all of your hard work and dedication. We wish you the best of luck going forward!
  • Molly • Graduate

I am so glad I took the leap and enrolled in this bootcamp. I went from truly having 0 skills to calling myself an intermediate level developer thanks to the amazing instructional team at Northwestern. The instructors are passionate and knowledgeable. The learning is fully immersive, so you aren't just reading articles or watching videos, you are coding real-life problems. The technologies taught are definitely on point with the job market. A bonus of the program was learning agile methodologies and actually getting that experience working on real projects with other students, to mimic a work environment. In the end I walked away with a strong portfolio, and more importantly, a passion for software development and knowledge of how to keep learning and growing as a developer. The Career Services staff are great also - now that I have graduated they call me weekly to discuss my job search and help me prep responses to interview questions. I feel that I got a great value from the course and will be forever grateful that I went to the Northwestern Coding Bootcamp!

Thursday, Apr 26 2018
    Molly, thank you so much! We love hearing that the course not only provided you with the immersive experience and educational foundation you were looking for, but also empowered your interest in web development. Our instructors are seriously passionate about helping students and about coding itself, so we love knowing that it showed. It's also great to know our career services team has been so useful and encouraging in your active job search. We believe it's important to individually support each student toward achieving their goals. The entire team at Northwestern Coding Boot Camp loves hearing success stories like yours. We believe in all of our students and wish you the utmost success as you go forward!
  • student
    - 4/25/2018
    Mina Slater • Software Engineering Apprentice • Student

My overall experience with NU's coding bootcamp was definitely a positive one. Not quite 100% what I expected, but I would recommend it to anyone looking to gain programming knowledge, and switch careers or expand in their current career. The curriculum was very useful, being a full-stack js program, and we were given a really valuable skill of how to go about learning things on our own. I believe we also got really lucky in our instructor who was part of the team that sets the curriculum for the program, who was able to gauge how we as a class was progressing and adjust the material accordingly. I do feel very empowered to go out and be a programmer after the program, and that is fully credited to our instructional team and Student Success Manager.

Thursday, Apr 26 2018
    Thank you so much for your review, Mina! We’re thrilled to hear that your experience with the program was so positive. It made our team’s day to hear how much you enjoyed the curriculum, the instructors, and the course as a whole. We’re really passionate about what we do and strive to provide a supportive and exceptional student experience. It's great to hear our teams were invaluable resources throughout your boot camp journey. You put in the hard work and time required to make the most out of the course, and we applaud you as you continue to move forward in this new direction. We wish you nothing but the best and know you will be confident in calling yourself a skilled programmer in no time!