northwestern-boot-camps-logo

Northwestern Boot Camps

Chicago, Chicago

Northwestern Boot Camps

Northwestern Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time, or 24-week, part-time web development courses, and 24-week, part-time data science, cybersecurity, and financial technology (FinTech) courses in Evanston and Chicago, Illinois. The full stack web development curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Database Theory, MongoDB, MySQL, Command Line, Git, Java, and more.

The data science curriculum covers a broad array of technologies like programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, API Interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, Machine Learning, R, Git, and more.

The cybersecurity course provides hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The FinTech curriculum includes Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, smart contracts, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll in the boot camps, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Northwestern Boot Camps are designed for professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or are looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. Upon program completion, students will receive a Certificate of Completion from Northwestern School of Professional Studies and will have a portfolio of projects or learn skills applicable to certifications demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data science, cybersecurity, or financial technology.

Northwestern Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent Northwestern Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.16

all (69) reviews for Northwestern Boot Camps →

Recent Northwestern Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationChicago
    At The Cybersecurity Boot Camp, students get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationChicago
    This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
    LocationChicago
    Get hands-on training and instruction in Financial Technology and Analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your work or college schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, only two days a week, with convenient evening and weekend hours. Students have access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
    Payment plans available
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

LocationChicago
    Northwestern Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (Chicago)

LocationChicago
    Northwestern Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (Evanston)

• $500 Northwestern Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Northwestern Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Financial Technology - Part-Time (Chicago)
    • Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Chicago)
  • David  User Photo
    David • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    At first I debated between enrolling in the Data Science and FinTech Boot Camps at Northwestern University. Ultimately I chose FinTech recognizing the curriculum is Data Science with a Finance focus plus the opportunity to attain a more technical understanding of blockchain technology. My experience has been challenge met with great satisfaction upon solving problems and project completion. I think projects which become part of your personal portfolio are a great way to showcase the skills learned in Boot Camp and is work you will admire looking back at. The instructors and TAs have all been excellent teachers sharing industry knowledge and best practices. Overall I view the FinTech Boot Camp as one of the best educational hacks to upskill into a FinTech and/or Data Science career. The course is very practical and covers many tools to help you excel in the workplace. The advice I would give is to give yourself a head start using free online resources to come in with some knowledge of the programming language you will be learning and brush up on your statistics! Following these tips you will be more confident and learn faster.
    Friday, Nov 13 2020
    Amazing, David! Thank you for choosing our boot camp to attain a more technical understanding of blockchain technology. We're glad to hear you developed a great sense of satisfaction after putting in the hard work and completing projects on your own. Great advice for prospective students — preparing beforehand by utilizing online resources and brushing up on your statistics will definitely help you stay ahead. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we appreciate your review! All the best in your future endeavors.
  • Whoa
    - 10/19/2020
    Abraham Jones  User Photo
    Abraham Jones • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Thinking back on my experience of the course, the first word that comes to mind is ‘whoa’. Now after completion of the course, I am thinking what else can I learn and accomplish. I will explain why.  The course was not easy at all. I describe it as one the most difficult accomplishments I have achieved in my life. Most definitely something that I am proud and brag about quite frequently. Instructor William Wright and all TAs will understand the concepts behind decision making of the code that I write. My biggest take-away, was the ‘How’ to tell a story with data.  Another thought of my appreciate of this data boot camp is the instructor could have thought the course of out-of-box, meaning just taught of code, followed instructor notes, and taught us bare minimum. Well that did not happen! Get felt great to know the course was not a waste of time and money.  After each assignment I gain more and more confidence because support was always there when I wanted it.

It hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, when learning something new.  In the beginning of the course, I thought to myself, how can I use this new knowledge to better my career and make more money. After the Python homework assignment, it was clear that I had required the knowledge needed to create opportunities to advance career and make more money. Now it feels great to be in control of my future. However, now having these new knowledge powers, I needed help channeling my power to display for employer. This is where career services come in. I will admit after graduation I was exhausted and had little energy to focus of getting my resume, GitHub and LinkedIn prepared to become employer ready, because I felt I had already exceeded my personal expectations. Michelle Licata, my career coach, help me find a second wind and even help guide me through some personal issue that made it challenging to keep moving forward. Most importantly with Michelle’s coaching I landed my current position as a Business Intelligence Analyst for Uptake.

I also have a new model I commandeered from Angelica Baraona, “think of learning as if you were drinking water from a water hose,” which really resonated and help me understand I wasn’t expected to learn everything all at once. Reminded me that classes were filmed, slack, and class repositories are all resources that will be there after the conclusion of the course. I saw that as placing a bucket under the water hose while drinking lol. Knowing I could come back to review and continue my education post-graduation give me more confidence that I can do it.

I recommend the Data Science and Visualization Northwestern Boot Camp to friends and family. I am also looking for ways to stay involve with the program and taking different course next year.

Monday, Oct 26 2020
    Way to go, Abraham! We're thrilled you had a positive student experience. It's great to hear you gained more confidence with each assignment and benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team — we also have to agree that William, Michelle, and Angelica are all fantastic.

You're completely right that learning a new skill set is challenging and does require hard work. We're glad you were able to tea advantage of our career services and kept moving forward during your job search.

Congratulations on successfully completing the program and on landing an exciting new role! We wish you the best of luck in all that you do.
  • Ankita  User Photo
    Ankita • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated from Northwestern's data science Bootcamp in February 2020. The Bootcamp is a very fast-paced and intense learning experience. I had Python, Postgres, and the basics of HTML knowledge before joining the Bootcamp. However, Bootcamp helped me put that in practice, along with data science fundamentals. I particularly loved the support I got from Travis (Instructor) and TA(s), as well as batchmates. I am talking about my capstone in almost every interview I go through.

I highly recommend this course to shape your career as a data scientist, especially if you come from a non-technical background!
    Sunday, Sep 27 2020
    We appreciate your review, Ankita! We're happy to hear you had a positive student experience and benefited from the support of our instructional team—we also have to agree that Travis is pretty great. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Full Stack Flex
    - 9/17/2020
    Prerona Mukherjee   User Photo
    Prerona Mukherjee • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I am currently enrolled in the Coding Boot Camp at Northwestern. My experience so far has been very positive given my non-technical background. I was introduced to the world of web development in 2016 while working at a digital marketing firm that offered website and application development services. At the time I was a content writer and curious to learn about code. My interest prompted me to apply to the Northwestern Coding Boot Camp.

This course does an excellent job of introducing beginners to the fundamentals of web development. Students gain extensive knowledge about data structures and algorithms and successfully develop original applications. Application development encourages creative thinking, a vital skill required for success in the field. Industry work ethics such as teamwork, time-management, and effective communication are also taught via app development projects. The program offers an impressive cohort of teaching assistants and tutors. These experienced tech professionals assist students with their projects and weekly assignments while providing an overview of trends and best practices in the workplace. The course material is challenging at times. However, there are great support systems in place to ensure student success.

For those looking to transition to a career in tech, I recommend enrolling in Career Services. The Career Services team helps students create career materials such as resumes, cover letters, and portfolios. They provide opportunities to attend panels with engineers at companies like Google. Additionally, students participate in year-round recruiting events with firms like Deloitte, Bank of America, and Liberty Mutual.

Every component of the Northwestern Coding Boot Camp is designed to help students achieve their academic and professional goals. From learning code to interview training, this program allows students to have a competitive edge in the field.

Monday, Sep 21 2020
    Thank you for sharing, Prerona! We're thrilled to hear you're having a positive boot camp experience and chose our program to follow your interest in web development.

We're glad you're enjoying the curriculum as well as the available support resources we have in place. We strive to foster a collaborative classroom environment so it's great that you've been developing key teamwork, time-management, and communication skills.

Great advice on taking advantage of the boot camp's professional development services — this is a great resource to receive additional assistance on your resume, cover letter, portfolios, and more. We commend all your hard work thus far and are rooting you on towards program completion!
  • Ash  User Photo
    Ash • Mewada • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a great experience learning at Northwestern's Data Science and Visualization Boot Camp. The instructor was knowledgeable and presented the materials in a way that was fun and challenging. Both TA's were wonderful and engaged with the students, very helpful with their guidance. Outside of the 10 hrs of classroom learning per week, plan on at least 25-30 hrs per week on homework, group projects, tutoring, and office hours. Its a very fast paced program, and there is a lot to learn. The materials were up to date, and the staff showed us real world applications. I can't comment on the career services portion, as I'm just starting out on that, but so far my contact has been helpful and responsive.
    Thursday, Sep 03 2020
    Amazing, Ash! We're glad to hear you had a positive boot camp experience and benefited from the support of our entire instructional team. Great job on taking advantage of all the available resources, like tutoring and office hours. We hope you'll find the upcoming career services offerings to be just as useful. We truly appreciate your review and are rooting you on in all that you do!
  • Milad Davoodi  User Photo
    Milad Davoodi • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have worked for tech companies but more on the business, operations, and analytical side. I started my own income stream recently and wanted to learn some more technical knowledge to further enhance my capabilities so I can wear more hats. I was a bit hesitant at first but did a lot of research on Bootcamps before deciding to move forward. I am happy I made my decision. I worked alongside brilliant minds with interesting backgrounds. In 6 months, I went from not know how to code at all, to knowing 4 languages with levels of confidence, heavily advanced my mathematical knowledge, and now actively building apps, APIs, and machine learning models with datasets to further increase my skills.

Before joining, where was I?:
    - I am college educated (non engineering or computer science)
    - Worked for innovative and fast paced companies
    - No knowledge of coding
    - Well above average understanding of statistics

How much work is there?
    - Most of my work was outside the class. I spent countless hours outside of class daily to work on the assignments, read more resources, documentation, etc. It takes a ton of work, so you have to be ready
    - Ability to learn on your own; yes there are a lot of resources from classmates, teaching staff, and tutor help. however, you will have so many questions that you have to learn how to answer them on your own.
    - Never lose confidence; They pack in a few years of advanced information with a 6 month time period. It can get overwhelming and stressful. Take it one step at a time. Trust me, it will all come together but you must work at it.

What am I able to do after?
    - I am working on various projects. I am currently building an API for a product that I currently sell. I will be able to share that API with my business partners to sell my product digitally online outside of my own website, and collect necessary data to further enhance the experience.
    - Machine Learning models; if you are like me, I was looking forward to machine learning more than anything, but that is not something you can just jump into as a beginner. START STUDYING STATISTICS. This will help more than anything, the code is there, but the math is the most important. took me several months of a lot of research and practice, but now I am able to make models and neural networks in Python.
    - Building visualizations was a pleasant surprise, while doing it learning and building in JavaScript. very necessary tools for so many businesses
    - I didn't do this to find a job, but I have learned so much and fairly talented at it, so I am even debating on pursuing this side of things...however, I have classmates that found a job during, and others that are actively interviewing for positions related to what they learned. They have an amazing post grad career services.

Wednesday, May 13 2020
    Way to go, Milad! We're thrilled you chose our program to further your current skills and expand your technical capabilities. It's great to hear you enjoyed the curriculum and working alongside your classmates.

Like you mentioned, the course does require extensive hours both inside and outside of the classroom to truly master the topics covered, so we commend all the hard work you dedicated. "Never lose confidence" is great advice for prospective students!

Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp and thank you for your review! We wish you continued success in all that you do.
  • Greg S.  User Photo
    Greg S. • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm in the homestretch of the Northwestern University (Evanston campus) part-time, 24 week bootcamp. I had originally signed up to help round out my graphic design skills, as many positions wanted some type of web development experience (from updating a wordpress site all the way up to SQL database maintenance). What I got from the course was so much more than that.

While the course FLIES by at a blazing speed, you learn so much every class. I've equated it to learning to speak Chinese in that you're learning one language, but also several dialects that go along with it. It's not an easy feat. The instructors and support are excellent and very knowledgable and enthusiastic. Many will go above and beyond when asked for assistance, be that in person or via Slack.

I have a couple of downsides, but they're not dealbreakers by any means.

• I do wish more time was devoted to the front end portion vs. the server/database side, but that's a personal preference, as it's where my interest is. We stop at Bootstrap, but it's widely considered that Materialize is a superior option. While we're equipped with the means to parse documentation, I would've benefitted from learning hands-on.
    • I wish the activities were updated from time to time to reflect changes. For example, we're told early on to replace var with let and const, but all the activities don't. Sometimes our instructor would say "they have ____, but I would do _____ instead." While there's any number of ways to reach the same goal, it would be nice to have the sense that the instructional team and Trilogy are symbiotic. Sometimes the homework assignment instructions were a little convoluted or an important part was buried elsewhere one wouldn't know to look. A streamlining to the Gitlab materials would go a long way.
    • And finally, while it's definitely a real-world application, as it's like 60% of any given workday, getting "Google it" as a response to a question is not the most ideal answer, considering the cost of the course.

Those elements aside, this is a very worthwhile course. Know going in there will be a lot of work and a large time dedication and what you get out of the class is what you put into it. Know that you may run into full-brain syndrome during any given class or coding session. It's normal and will pass. Rely on your classmates, Google, and other research sources and put in as much time as you can and need.

Thursday, May 30 2019
    Thank you, Greg! We're thrilled you chose our program to advance your current skill set. Like you mentioned, this is a fast-paced course, so it's great to hear you benefited from the support of our instructional team. Great advice for prospective learners—reaching out to classmates and utilizing all available resources, will definitely prove to be beneficial.

We appreciate your curriculum and homework feedback, as we're always looking to optimize the student experience. Congratulations on all the hard work you've dedicated thus far, we wish you continued success as you finish out the boot camp!
  • Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • software engineeer Verified via GitHub

I took the part time, 24-week fullstack web development boot camp. The course was a very informative overview for someone like me coming into it with no prior coding experience. It was definitely a challenge, but they emphasized the time and effort it would require when I applied so I was expecting that. I got what I had hoped to get out of the program, which was a software development job immediately following my completion of the bootcamp. My complaint would be that I wish even more time was spent on React. Forget the two days of python and just spend more time on React. The more learning and practice you can do on your own outside of the program, the better off you will be.

Thursday, May 23 2019
    Way to go, Sarah! We're happy to hear you successfully learned the fundamentals of full-stack web development. We understand you would have wanted to spend more time covering React, and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts as our curriculum is constantly being updated to be in line with market demands. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for sharing your boot camp experience! We wish you success in all your future achievements.
  • Syeda Ahmed  User Photo
    Syeda Ahmed • Applicant Verified via GitHub

I graduated in computer science in 2004 but didn’t really work in the field. Now I wanted to pursue my career again and needed a fresh start. Northwestern boot camp turned out to be a great opportunity for me. The curriculum was very challenging but very up-to-date. You will get exposure to as many new technologies as possible.  I attended it part-time but still, it went so fast. They have all the help available, if you are willing to put your time and efforts, it is well worth it. The TA’s are helpful as well and they also provide one-on-one tutoring. They also provide video walk-through for most of the assignments which were very helpful for me. Each assignment was very well explained in great details. The instructors were very dedicated and experienced.

The career service is a great help as well and they offer different opportunities to showcase your projects. The team is very friendly and extremely supportive. You can sense they want you to succeed. Because of this boot camp, I am in the market again. Though I still feel I need to learn a lot, I feel more confident as the projects were very close to real-world experience. Most of all now I know WHAT I need to learn.

If you have a gap in your work and want to update yourself, it is a great option.  It is challenging and fast-paced but totally worth it. Overall I had a wonderful experience.

Thursday, May 23 2019
    Thank you for choosing our program to reignite your career, Syeda! It's great to hear you benefited from the curriculum and found our entire team to be helpful. We applaud all your dedication and are thrilled you feel confident in your newfound skills. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate your review! Best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Arnab  User Photo
    Arnab • Student Verified via LinkedIn

When I decided to enhance my skills to enter the tech industry, I was looking everywhere. After researching several different boot camps, I decided on Northwestern Coding Bootcamp for all the right reasons, a Northwestern University diploma backed with Trilogy's experience in this particular field. But, was it meant for me?

Like anyone from a non-technical background, I had my own apprehensions. Is coding right for me? Will I understand anything? What if I am just too dumb to do this? These all were valid questions and now I can answer these questions for you.

I enjoyed every single class because they are well structured and follows proper taxonomy. We start from scratch and build into complete exercises. This has helped me to understand the fundamentals of various topics clearly that I had no competency in before. My instructor is Ron Bailey, and I cannot tell you how good of a teacher he is. He understands different students' needs and guides us in our individual styles, he is engaging and is really funny! He shares his experiences from the industry and that is an eye-opener for many of us.

Each class has two TA's who are not only available during the class but also during office hours and sometimes even online via Slack. They are also a great emotional support. Yes! emotions are important because the Bootcamp will test you time to time. We also have excellent guest speakers and lecturers all the time.

We also get 1-1 tutoring every week and it has helped me ace many of the concepts that I couldn't cover in class sometimes. Although optional, I recommend everyone to take full advantage of this particular service.

Career services are optional as well but are helpful. It is easy to let it go but if you will follow and work with your career success manager you will not be overwhelmed with all the "small" things that matter; it is easy to overlook things on Github, portfolio, LinkedIn, interview, etc, etc. But, career services can assist one to be on top of their job search while coding all the time!

Monday, Oct 15 2018
    Amazing, Arnab! We are thrilled you had such a great student experience, learning the fundamentals of full-stack web development, and enjoyed every single class. It's great to hear you truly utilized all the boot camp's resources and were supported by our entire team. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the success as you move forward!
  • Brian Connell  User Photo
    Brian Connell • Senior Engineering Manager • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I just graduated from the part-time Data Science bootcamp at Northwestern in October, 2018.  Simply put, the experience greatly exceeded my expectations.  The program administration was very organized and approachable.  There were multiple requests for open feedback indicating an intent for continuous improvement.  The instructional staff and TA’s were very knowledgable and experienced.  The curriculum and content was well organized and ideal for rapid learning.  I have dabbled in javascript for several years as a hobby.  I think the bootcamp is an excellent format to rapidily learn a wide range of new technologies in a short period of time.  It is not something you can easily pick up by reading textbooks on your own.  Instead, you are thrown into new topics over a span of 3-4 classes, with rapid assignments during class.  The homework for each topic is significant, requiring several hours to complete.  While there were times when I was extremely challenged by the content, I always had excellent support from the TA’s and instructional staff.  I was exposed to many, many technologies that I was simply unaware of, like maps using Leaflet.js, Social Media Mining, SQL and API Interactions.  The small interactive class size also created a sense of community which made the journey more fun.  The time flew by.  Like all pursuits, the greater effort, the greater the reward.

Tuesday, Oct 09 2018
    Thank you so much for your review, Brian! We are thrilled to hear your student experience exceeded your expectations. It's great that you felt fully supported by our entire team and enjoyed the curriculum and overall program structure. We have to agree that the greater your effort, the greater your reward will be. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the success in your future endeavors!
  • Alvin Rodis  User Photo
    Alvin Rodis • Senior Systems Analyst • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I have completed the Full Stack Web Development Coding Bootcamp at Northwestern University.  The support I received from Trilogy staff was simply put - awesome.  The program was challenging and I certainly had my ups and downs.  Throughout the duration, I definitely felt encouraged and cared for by the Trilogy staff.
    • My instructor took the time out on the side to check in with me and provide encouragement throughout the program
    • I absolutely leveraged the help of the TAs during office hours.  In turn, they had my back and provided needed help and encouragement along the way
    • My Tutor was awesome and I got so much out of our weekly calls - I had the forum to talk through what I was learning relative to completion of the homework
    • My Student Success Manager was always there when I needed him to answer questions and provide guidance through the program.
    In the end, it was a fantastic experience and I'm glad that I had this team around me.
    Response From: Dartaniel Bliss of Northwestern Boot Camps
    Title: Student Success Manager
    Friday, May 18 2018
    Amazing, Alvin! We’re happy to hear you had such a positive experience learning valuable coding skills through our program. As you mentioned, this course is challenging, so we commend your dedication and hard work. Our team members are passionate about teaching, committed to guiding and encouraging students through complex problems. We are thrilled to hear their dedication and efforts were such valuable resources during your journey. Congratulations on completing the boot camp and thank you so much for your feedback! We wish you continued success in all your future endeavors.