northwestern-boot-camps-logo

Northwestern Boot Camps

Chicago, Chicago

Northwestern Boot Camps

Northwestern Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time, or 24-week, part-time web development courses, and 24-week, part-time data science, cybersecurity, and financial technology (FinTech) courses. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The fintech curriculum covers Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll in the boot camps, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Northwestern Boot Camps are designed for professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or are looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. Upon program completion, students will receive a Certificate of Completion from Northwestern School of Professional Studies and will have a portfolio of projects or learn skills applicable to certifications demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data science, cybersecurity, or financial technology.

Northwestern Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent Northwestern Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.21

all (73) reviews for Northwestern Boot Camps →

Recent Northwestern Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationChicago
    Northwestern Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationChicago
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
    LocationChicago
    Get hands-on training and instruction in financial technology and analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your current schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, and gain access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
    Payment plans available
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationChicago
    Northwestern Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationChicago
    Northwestern Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.

• $500 Northwestern Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Northwestern Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Financial Technology - Part-Time (Chicago)
    • Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Chicago)
  • Testimony
    - 3/23/2021
    Caleb Dunahee  User Photo
    Caleb Dunahee • Student • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The Full Stack coding bootcamp was terrific! I went from not knowing what a terminal was to creating full stack applications. The teachers were great and my cohort was made of the most energetic and fun group of people!
    Thursday, Mar 25 2021
    Way to go, Caleb! It's great to hear you had a positive boot camp experience and benefited from the support of our instructional team. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we appreciate your review! Best of luck in all your future coding endeavors.
  • Tom Veeder  User Photo
    Tom Veeder • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I completed the Northwestern Data Visualization course in May 2020.  This class is well worth the time and tuition.

Big Data has arrived and it’s changing our world for the better.  Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are disrupting almost every category of our lives.  This class was a good introduction to a collection of the most important fundamental concepts of data science.

Expect a rigorous curriculum. The assignments are challenging and have purpose.  I never asked the question “why am I learning this?” The instructors and TAs are solid and available for help if you need it.

The class has been designed to keep you up to date with the latest data science concepts, applications, and programming languages like Python, R, and SQL.

Basic concepts in statistics are taught in this course.  You will learn how data scientists use statistics to analyze structured and unstructured data sets.  In addition, you will learn exploratory data analysis, trend analysis, and data visualizations.

The main benefit of this class is exposure. It moves too quickly to fully master everything taught in class.  The skills acquired by the student will have to be honed through continued self-study. The class lecture videos, notes, and assignments are saved and made available to help the student accomplish this.

Some of the things I learned during this course helped me pass the FDP examination.
    It has become the benchmark certification for students interested in finance and data science.

The classroom at Northwestern’s Wieboldt Hall is a big plus for this program.   It is a good location and provides a great academic environment.

Current events necessitated remote learning with Zoom for the last part of the course.  Online classes were conducted successfully, but I missed the interaction with the instructors and networking with other students.  I hope future students will be able to have this classroom opportunity soon.
    Tuesday, Mar 23 2021
    We appreciate you sharing your boot camp experience, Tom! We're thrilled you successfully learned the fundamentals of data science and visualization. It's great to hear you enjoyed the curriculum and benefited from the help of our entire instructional team. Like you noted, this is a rigorous and fast-paced program with each lesson building on the last. We do find that as the course progresses, students feel more confident in their skills.

Your cohort did experience a disruption due to COVID-19 that resulted in your studies transitioning online for the health and safety of all learners and we're glad this online format was conducted successfully. Congratulations on completing the program, we wish you all the best moving forward!
  • David  User Photo
    David • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    At first I debated between enrolling in the Data Science and FinTech Boot Camps at Northwestern University. Ultimately I chose FinTech recognizing the curriculum is Data Science with a Finance focus plus the opportunity to attain a more technical understanding of blockchain technology. My experience has been challenge met with great satisfaction upon solving problems and project completion. I think projects which become part of your personal portfolio are a great way to showcase the skills learned in Boot Camp and is work you will admire looking back at. The instructors and TAs have all been excellent teachers sharing industry knowledge and best practices. Overall I view the FinTech Boot Camp as one of the best educational hacks to upskill into a FinTech and/or Data Science career. The course is very practical and covers many tools to help you excel in the workplace. The advice I would give is to give yourself a head start using free online resources to come in with some knowledge of the programming language you will be learning and brush up on your statistics! Following these tips you will be more confident and learn faster.
    Friday, Nov 13 2020
    Amazing, David! Thank you for choosing our boot camp to attain a more technical understanding of blockchain technology. We're glad to hear you developed a great sense of satisfaction after putting in the hard work and completing projects on your own. Great advice for prospective students — preparing beforehand by utilizing online resources and brushing up on your statistics will definitely help you stay ahead. Congratulations on successfully completing the course, we appreciate your review! All the best in your future endeavors.
  • Whoa
    - 10/19/2020
    Abraham Jones  User Photo
    Abraham Jones • Business Intelligence Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Thinking back on my experience of the course, the first word that comes to mind is ‘whoa’. Now after completion of the course, I am thinking what else can I learn and accomplish. I will explain why.  The course was not easy at all. I describe it as one the most difficult accomplishments I have achieved in my life. Most definitely something that I am proud and brag about quite frequently. Instructor William Wright and all TAs will understand the concepts behind decision making of the code that I write. My biggest take-away, was the ‘How’ to tell a story with data.  Another thought of my appreciate of this data boot camp is the instructor could have thought the course of out-of-box, meaning just taught of code, followed instructor notes, and taught us bare minimum. Well that did not happen! Get felt great to know the course was not a waste of time and money.  After each assignment I gain more and more confidence because support was always there when I wanted it.

It hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, when learning something new.  In the beginning of the course, I thought to myself, how can I use this new knowledge to better my career and make more money. After the Python homework assignment, it was clear that I had required the knowledge needed to create opportunities to advance career and make more money. Now it feels great to be in control of my future. However, now having these new knowledge powers, I needed help channeling my power to display for employer. This is where career services come in. I will admit after graduation I was exhausted and had little energy to focus of getting my resume, GitHub and LinkedIn prepared to become employer ready, because I felt I had already exceeded my personal expectations. Michelle Licata, my career coach, help me find a second wind and even help guide me through some personal issue that made it challenging to keep moving forward. Most importantly with Michelle’s coaching I landed my current position as a Business Intelligence Analyst for Uptake.

I also have a new model I commandeered from Angelica Baraona, “think of learning as if you were drinking water from a water hose,” which really resonated and help me understand I wasn’t expected to learn everything all at once. Reminded me that classes were filmed, slack, and class repositories are all resources that will be there after the conclusion of the course. I saw that as placing a bucket under the water hose while drinking lol. Knowing I could come back to review and continue my education post-graduation give me more confidence that I can do it.

I recommend the Data Science and Visualization Northwestern Boot Camp to friends and family. I am also looking for ways to stay involve with the program and taking different course next year.

Monday, Oct 26 2020
    Way to go, Abraham! We're thrilled you had a positive student experience. It's great to hear you gained more confidence with each assignment and benefited from the support of our entire boot camp team — we also have to agree that William, Michelle, and Angelica are all fantastic.

You're completely right that learning a new skill set is challenging and does require hard work. We're glad you were able to tea advantage of our career services and kept moving forward during your job search.

Congratulations on successfully completing the program and on landing an exciting new role! We wish you the best of luck in all that you do.
  • Ankita  User Photo
    Ankita • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated from Northwestern's data science Bootcamp in February 2020. The Bootcamp is a very fast-paced and intense learning experience. I had Python, Postgres, and the basics of HTML knowledge before joining the Bootcamp. However, Bootcamp helped me put that in practice, along with data science fundamentals. I particularly loved the support I got from Travis (Instructor) and TA(s), as well as batchmates. I am talking about my capstone in almost every interview I go through.

I highly recommend this course to shape your career as a data scientist, especially if you come from a non-technical background!
    Sunday, Sep 27 2020
    We appreciate your review, Ankita! We're happy to hear you had a positive student experience and benefited from the support of our instructional team—we also have to agree that Travis is pretty great. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Full Stack Flex
    - 9/17/2020
    Prerona Mukherjee   User Photo
    Prerona Mukherjee • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I am currently enrolled in the Coding Boot Camp at Northwestern. My experience so far has been very positive given my non-technical background. I was introduced to the world of web development in 2016 while working at a digital marketing firm that offered website and application development services. At the time I was a content writer and curious to learn about code. My interest prompted me to apply to the Northwestern Coding Boot Camp.

This course does an excellent job of introducing beginners to the fundamentals of web development. Students gain extensive knowledge about data structures and algorithms and successfully develop original applications. Application development encourages creative thinking, a vital skill required for success in the field. Industry work ethics such as teamwork, time-management, and effective communication are also taught via app development projects. The program offers an impressive cohort of teaching assistants and tutors. These experienced tech professionals assist students with their projects and weekly assignments while providing an overview of trends and best practices in the workplace. The course material is challenging at times. However, there are great support systems in place to ensure student success.

For those looking to transition to a career in tech, I recommend enrolling in Career Services. The Career Services team helps students create career materials such as resumes, cover letters, and portfolios. They provide opportunities to attend panels with engineers at companies like Google. Additionally, students participate in year-round recruiting events with firms like Deloitte, Bank of America, and Liberty Mutual.

Every component of the Northwestern Coding Boot Camp is designed to help students achieve their academic and professional goals. From learning code to interview training, this program allows students to have a competitive edge in the field.

Monday, Sep 21 2020
    Thank you for sharing, Prerona! We're thrilled to hear you're having a positive boot camp experience and chose our program to follow your interest in web development.

We're glad you're enjoying the curriculum as well as the available support resources we have in place. We strive to foster a collaborative classroom environment so it's great that you've been developing key teamwork, time-management, and communication skills.

Great advice on taking advantage of the boot camp's professional development services — this is a great resource to receive additional assistance on your resume, cover letter, portfolios, and more. We commend all your hard work thus far and are rooting you on towards program completion!
  • Ash  User Photo
    Ash • Mewada • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a great experience learning at Northwestern's Data Science and Visualization Boot Camp. The instructor was knowledgeable and presented the materials in a way that was fun and challenging. Both TA's were wonderful and engaged with the students, very helpful with their guidance. Outside of the 10 hrs of classroom learning per week, plan on at least 25-30 hrs per week on homework, group projects, tutoring, and office hours. Its a very fast paced program, and there is a lot to learn. The materials were up to date, and the staff showed us real world applications. I can't comment on the career services portion, as I'm just starting out on that, but so far my contact has been helpful and responsive.
    Thursday, Sep 03 2020
    Amazing, Ash! We're glad to hear you had a positive boot camp experience and benefited from the support of our entire instructional team. Great job on taking advantage of all the available resources, like tutoring and office hours. We hope you'll find the upcoming career services offerings to be just as useful. We truly appreciate your review and are rooting you on in all that you do!
  • Milad Davoodi  User Photo
    Milad Davoodi • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn
    I have worked for tech companies but more on the business, operations, and analytical side. I started my own income stream recently and wanted to learn some more technical knowledge to further enhance my capabilities so I can wear more hats. I was a bit hesitant at first but did a lot of research on Bootcamps before deciding to move forward. I am happy I made my decision. I worked alongside brilliant minds with interesting backgrounds. In 6 months, I went from not know how to code at all, to knowing 4 languages with levels of confidence, heavily advanced my mathematical knowledge, and now actively building apps, APIs, and machine learning models with datasets to further increase my skills.

Before joining, where was I?:
    - I am college educated (non engineering or computer science)
    - Worked for innovative and fast paced companies
    - No knowledge of coding
    - Well above average understanding of statistics

How much work is there?
    - Most of my work was outside the class. I spent countless hours outside of class daily to work on the assignments, read more resources, documentation, etc. It takes a ton of work, so you have to be ready
    - Ability to learn on your own; yes there are a lot of resources from classmates, teaching staff, and tutor help. however, you will have so many questions that you have to learn how to answer them on your own.
    - Never lose confidence; They pack in a few years of advanced information with a 6 month time period. It can get overwhelming and stressful. Take it one step at a time. Trust me, it will all come together but you must work at it.

What am I able to do after?
    - I am working on various projects. I am currently building an API for a product that I currently sell. I will be able to share that API with my business partners to sell my product digitally online outside of my own website, and collect necessary data to further enhance the experience.
    - Machine Learning models; if you are like me, I was looking forward to machine learning more than anything, but that is not something you can just jump into as a beginner. START STUDYING STATISTICS. This will help more than anything, the code is there, but the math is the most important. took me several months of a lot of research and practice, but now I am able to make models and neural networks in Python.
    - Building visualizations was a pleasant surprise, while doing it learning and building in JavaScript. very necessary tools for so many businesses
    - I didn't do this to find a job, but I have learned so much and fairly talented at it, so I am even debating on pursuing this side of things...however, I have classmates that found a job during, and others that are actively interviewing for positions related to what they learned. They have an amazing post grad career services.

Wednesday, May 13 2020
    Way to go, Milad! We're thrilled you chose our program to further your current skills and expand your technical capabilities. It's great to hear you enjoyed the curriculum and working alongside your classmates.

Like you mentioned, the course does require extensive hours both inside and outside of the classroom to truly master the topics covered, so we commend all the hard work you dedicated. "Never lose confidence" is great advice for prospective students!

Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp and thank you for your review! We wish you continued success in all that you do.
  • Greg S.  User Photo
    Greg S. • Student Verified via GitHub

I'm in the homestretch of the Northwestern University (Evanston campus) part-time, 24 week bootcamp. I had originally signed up to help round out my graphic design skills, as many positions wanted some type of web development experience (from updating a wordpress site all the way up to SQL database maintenance). What I got from the course was so much more than that.

While the course FLIES by at a blazing speed, you learn so much every class. I've equated it to learning to speak Chinese in that you're learning one language, but also several dialects that go along with it. It's not an easy feat. The instructors and support are excellent and very knowledgable and enthusiastic. Many will go above and beyond when asked for assistance, be that in person or via Slack.

I have a couple of downsides, but they're not dealbreakers by any means.

• I do wish more time was devoted to the front end portion vs. the server/database side, but that's a personal preference, as it's where my interest is. We stop at Bootstrap, but it's widely considered that Materialize is a superior option. While we're equipped with the means to parse documentation, I would've benefitted from learning hands-on.
    • I wish the activities were updated from time to time to reflect changes. For example, we're told early on to replace var with let and const, but all the activities don't. Sometimes our instructor would say "they have ____, but I would do _____ instead." While there's any number of ways to reach the same goal, it would be nice to have the sense that the instructional team and Trilogy are symbiotic. Sometimes the homework assignment instructions were a little convoluted or an important part was buried elsewhere one wouldn't know to look. A streamlining to the Gitlab materials would go a long way.
    • And finally, while it's definitely a real-world application, as it's like 60% of any given workday, getting "Google it" as a response to a question is not the most ideal answer, considering the cost of the course.

Those elements aside, this is a very worthwhile course. Know going in there will be a lot of work and a large time dedication and what you get out of the class is what you put into it. Know that you may run into full-brain syndrome during any given class or coding session. It's normal and will pass. Rely on your classmates, Google, and other research sources and put in as much time as you can and need.

Thursday, May 30 2019
    Thank you, Greg! We're thrilled you chose our program to advance your current skill set. Like you mentioned, this is a fast-paced course, so it's great to hear you benefited from the support of our instructional team. Great advice for prospective learners—reaching out to classmates and utilizing all available resources, will definitely prove to be beneficial.

We appreciate your curriculum and homework feedback, as we're always looking to optimize the student experience. Congratulations on all the hard work you've dedicated thus far, we wish you continued success as you finish out the boot camp!
  • Sarah  User Photo
    Sarah • software engineeer Verified via GitHub

I took the part time, 24-week fullstack web development boot camp. The course was a very informative overview for someone like me coming into it with no prior coding experience. It was definitely a challenge, but they emphasized the time and effort it would require when I applied so I was expecting that. I got what I had hoped to get out of the program, which was a software development job immediately following my completion of the bootcamp. My complaint would be that I wish even more time was spent on React. Forget the two days of python and just spend more time on React. The more learning and practice you can do on your own outside of the program, the better off you will be.

Thursday, May 23 2019
    Way to go, Sarah! We're happy to hear you successfully learned the fundamentals of full-stack web development. We understand you would have wanted to spend more time covering React, and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts as our curriculum is constantly being updated to be in line with market demands. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for sharing your boot camp experience! We wish you success in all your future achievements.
  • Syeda Ahmed  User Photo
    Syeda Ahmed • Applicant Verified via GitHub

I graduated in computer science in 2004 but didn’t really work in the field. Now I wanted to pursue my career again and needed a fresh start. Northwestern boot camp turned out to be a great opportunity for me. The curriculum was very challenging but very up-to-date. You will get exposure to as many new technologies as possible.  I attended it part-time but still, it went so fast. They have all the help available, if you are willing to put your time and efforts, it is well worth it. The TA’s are helpful as well and they also provide one-on-one tutoring. They also provide video walk-through for most of the assignments which were very helpful for me. Each assignment was very well explained in great details. The instructors were very dedicated and experienced.

The career service is a great help as well and they offer different opportunities to showcase your projects. The team is very friendly and extremely supportive. You can sense they want you to succeed. Because of this boot camp, I am in the market again. Though I still feel I need to learn a lot, I feel more confident as the projects were very close to real-world experience. Most of all now I know WHAT I need to learn.

If you have a gap in your work and want to update yourself, it is a great option.  It is challenging and fast-paced but totally worth it. Overall I had a wonderful experience.

Thursday, May 23 2019
    Thank you for choosing our program to reignite your career, Syeda! It's great to hear you benefited from the curriculum and found our entire team to be helpful. We applaud all your dedication and are thrilled you feel confident in your newfound skills. Congratulations on graduating, we truly appreciate your review! Best of luck in all your future endeavors.