kenzie-academy-logo

Kenzie Academy

Kenzie Academy

Kenzie Academy is a college alternative that offers a 1-year, full-time, project-based course in Software Engineering and UX Engineering online or in Indianapolis, Indiana. Students in the Software Engineering program will learn will learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, and Python/Django and graduate as junior full-stack web developers. The UX program covers website design and research and front end coding. The curriculum was created by industry practitioners and designed to parallel today’s workplace. With the aim of mimicking a real career in technology, Kenzie students begin every day with a standup, work in virtual teams, and receive one-on-one mentorship. Beyond technical skills, Kenzie also teaches students the practical knowledge needed to thrive in today’s modern workforce. Designed around the modern student, Kenzie Academy is a college alternative that teaches learners of all ages – with little or no experience – the digital skills that lead directly to a new career in technology.

Kenzie Academy’s program is open to anyone interested in tech with no programming experience required. Prospective students should be familiar with web browsers and search engines and comfortable with symbolic reasoning. Kenzie is looking for people with the right attitude and aptitude for success.

With employer partners throughout the country, Kenzie directly connects graduates to in-demand jobs. Kenzie aims for graduates to leave with the knowledge and confidence to succeed, changing their opportunities, and the full trajectory of their careers.

Recent Kenzie Academy Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (36) reviews for Kenzie Academy →

Recent Kenzie Academy News

Read all (9) articles about Kenzie Academy →
  • FRONT-END WEB DEVELOPER IN PERSON (6 MONTHS)

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Node.js, Agile
    Indianapolis
    Front-End web developers produce HTML, CSS and JavaScript for a website or Web Application so that a user can see and interact with them directly. Students gain hands-on experience deploying interactive web sites for desktop and mobile web browsers using the latest web technologies and frameworks. Students also learn all coding and web development best practices, including team collaboration skills.
    We do not offer ISA for 6-month programs. ISAs are only available for our 12-month programs
    No experience necessary
    Interview
  • FRONT-END WEB DEVELOPER ONLINE (6 MONTHS)

OnlineFull Time
    Indianapolis
    Full stack web developers are people who are familiar with developing all layers of a website or web application, including the front-end and back-end logic and databases, and how the front-end and web-end communicates together. This program is opened to Kenzie students who completed the Front-End Web Developer Track, or qualified students with prior programming training or experience. Students with prior front-end development training will hone their skills in back-end software development, while back-end programmers will hone their front-end development skills. Students learn to develop production ready end-to-end web applications. Students will learn to scale back-end applications, consider performance of the application, and understand security best practices to reduce an application’s vulnerability to hacking. Students will perform 10-20 hours of paid internship work with Kenzie Studio, our consulting arm to cover the partial cost of tuition.
    We do not offer ISAs for 6-month programs. ISAs are only available for our 12-month programs
    monthly payment plans available
    We accept candidates with little to no coding skills
    Interview
  • SOFTWARE ENGINEERING IN PERSON ( 12 MONTHS)

MySQL, HTML, Git, Python, JavaScript, DevOps, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, Front End, Scrum, Agile
    Indianapolis
    The Software Engineer track is designed to train our students to become skilled coders, while also equipping them with core computer science concepts, critical for advancement towards senior roles over time. The foundation of our curriculum includes learning the necessary coding skills as well as a sufficient understanding of how computers and systems work in order to architect, build, and maintain complex applications. Kenzie students who completed the Full-Stack Web Developer Track are eligible to apply for the Software Engineer Track. Students learn core computer science concepts and enterprise programming languages such as Java or equivalent.
    We offer Full ISA and Half ISA financing options
    Monthly payment plan Full ISA: 17.5% of income for 48 months Half ISA: 17.5% o income for 25 months
    Students passing our cultural and technical assessment
    January 21, 2020 - IndianapolisApply by January 17, 2020
  • SOFTWARE ENGINEERING ONLINE (12 MONTHS)

Full ISA and Half ISA available
    monthly payment plan available
    we accept students with little to no coding experience
    January 21, 2020 - IndianapolisApply by January 17, 2020
  • USER EXPERIENCE ENGINEERING IN PERSON (12 MONTHS)

HTML, JavaScript, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, React.js, Front End
    Indianapolis
    The emphasis is on developing proficiency in user experience design and front-end development, while providing a basic introduction to research, visual design, copywriting, project management, and software engineering. Graduates of this program will have the skills needed to be an entry-level User Experience (UX) Designer. A UX Designer's role is directly involved in the process of making a product useful, usable and enjoyable for its users. Through the program, students create a portfolio of individual and team projects that can be shown to future, potential employers. Students also learn to communicate effectively in an interview and professional setting.
    In an Income Share Agreement (ISA), you agree to pay a fixed percentage of your future earned income for a fixed period of time to Kenzie Academy. In exchange, you don’t have to pay the full cost of Kenzie tuition upfront.
    January 21, 2020 - IndianapolisApply by January 17, 2020
  • USER EXPERIENCE ENGINEERING ONLINE (12 MONTHS)

HTML, JavaScript, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, React.js, Agile
    We offer Full ISA and Half ISA options
    monthly payment plan available
    we accept candidates with little to no design and coding skills

• Austin Levine • Student

I enrolled in Kenzie Academy's Full Stack Web Development course 4 months ago. Since then, I have learned a robust amount of in-depth knowledge that more than keeps me occupied! I have been self-taught for many years, but nothing beats the amazing instructors at Kenzie Academy. For awhile, I was far ahead and needed some extra work. One quick question to the instructors led me to be sufficiently challenged and my thirst for learning reinvigorated!

• Kathy  User Photo
    Kathy • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I just wanted to start off by saying how grateful I am to have found Kenzie Academy during this process of "Getting into Tech" journey. I have discovered another side of me that I've given up on due to life-changing events (liked becoming a full-time mom). After going through several assignments/assessments at Kenzie Academy, it has become extremely rewarding to test my capability and knowledge during the learning process. I was so used to doing self-paced learning that when I had access to a coaching/mentorship at Kenzie, I knew I was in good hands and I was no longer afraid to fail. Whenever I had a question or felt stuck on a problem, I always knew I could find help/assistance. They are very supportive and really believe in you. I mean, for a year, they are investing in you without getting paid in return during that time, that tells you that they are trying to change the way education works now and for the future. Everyday, I seriously get excited waking up to look forward to what I'll get to learn next at Kenzie. They have given me a new purpose in my career pathway and I am forever grateful!

• Travis Anderson  User Photo
    Travis Anderson • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I am in my upper 20's, changed my career, previous college degree (unrelated), minor (very minor) experience in coding coming in to Kenzie.

I was looking for an out of my previous career and found this.  I liked that this education model includes the ISA, it shows that the school won't succeed unless the students do.  After I graduated I ended up finding a poisition on my own efforts through networking and applying on my own. I was provided opportunities through the school's resources but either someone else was selected or the the position was less than ideal, (why I gave 4 out of 5 in job assistance).

There are multiple opportunities to teach and coach others, or be coached, so gives  a full breadth of experience.  I will say the majority of the curriculum is really solid, and can teach a beginner what they need to know, but like any fast track programs I recommend putting in effort outside of core hours, and look beyond the scope of what they are teaching.  I do see room for improvement in the back end curriculum, I suppose that would be my only 'complaint', but it was still really good. (curriculum would be 5/5 if they improved the backend)

• Brandi C.  User Photo
    Brandi C. • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

The level of care, concern, and support that I have received from Kenzie since starting in July 2019 have shown me that I couldn't have made a better decision. I love that, even remotely, we are allowed and encouraged to interact and ask questions live during the lecture as opposed to having to wait until later. There are so many coaches available when you have questions. I love the model so far and I am confident things will only continue to get better at Kenzie Academy.

• Hamilton Young  User Photo
    Hamilton Young • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I've been part of the 2nd user experience design chort at Kenzie Academy for 7 months now and i could not be in a better place. When starting at Kenzie I knew almost nothing about UX design but over the past 7 moths I can say i feel more than job ready. Along with the second half of my one year track whitch is front end development . I am now learing how i can take all the designs i've man and actually build them in a full functioning app/website. Dont feel like I am dragging my self into class everyday like some of my college experience was like. I enjoy feeling like im a real work environment learning hands on how my day to day might feel like at a real company.

• Best program ever
    - 8/29/2019
    Haydar Mohammad Hassan  User Photo
    Haydar Mohammad Hassan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I never thought i would make it in the beginning of the software engineering program but everyone in Kenzie Academy stood by my side and helped me through the front end part until i got my certificate, Kenzie Academy treats you as a member of the family.

• Do not recommend
    - 8/14/2019
    Kinga  User Photo
    Kinga • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn

I applied to the marketing program and right away scheduled my interview. The day of I needed to reschedule and made an appointment for the next day. I received a confirmation that J****** was looking forward to speaking to me. The day of a few hours before the scheduled time, my interview was canceled without any real explanation. SO I scheduled my discovery call with A****. The next day AGAIN my interview was canceled, this time I was told that the school is not doing any marketing interviews for now and they will reach out to me when they are ready. Pretty shady and disappointing to say the least!

Something else that is concerning that both J****** and A****, communicated from A****'s email address. In the intro email that I received, it said that the next cohort started in April, yet A**** the October one was still open.

Judging from everyone's great reviews, I am thinking that maybe this has happened to me, because of my age. The school's application does ask for age. Maybe I just have bad luck or this place is not for me. Either way, when and IF the school reaches out to me, I will not be scheduling my interview based on this poor experience so far.

• Zachary Kline  User Photo
    Zachary Kline • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie Academy is an amazing school, giving the feeling of more of a start up tech company than a classroom, students are free to collaborate on project which incrimentally get more challenging and build up your skills bit by bit. The concepts of coding are drilled into your brain by doing hands on coding instead of just following along with an instructor. Going into the course from knowing nothing about coding it is amazing to think where I am now to where I was just a few months ago. I was hesistant as first about the fact that the course is essentially a year long, but if you consider that in many cases you'll be doubling or maybe tripling your salary after you finish the time investment is more than worth it.

• The Perfect Fit
    - 12/24/2018
    Blake  User Photo
    Blake • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Kenzie is the perfect mix of culture and skills training. You'll learn through a well crafted curriculum with industry veteran instructors. You'll learn something new daily and get a chance to demonstrate your new knowledge through collaborative projects. Through Kenzie Academy, you'll gain the exact skills you need to enter the tech industry.
  • Tyler M Ward  User Photo
    Tyler M Ward Verified via GitHub

Kenzie is a fantastic learning environment that all educational fascilities should take note of, and learn from.  I have only been in the program for a little over two months and still feel as though I have learned more than I ever did in college.  The reason for this is their project based philosphy that seeks to teach you how to teach yourself by doing, more than anything else.  No long, drawn out, lectures about arbitrary concepts that couldn't possibly help you anywhere in life.  Kenzie gets you in the habit of working, quite simply because they seem to be attempting to mimic a working environment to a T.  What better way to prepare students to work, than to get them working right now?

• Jennifer Browning  User Photo
    Jennifer Browning • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie Academy has been a wonderfule place to begin my career in Software Engineering. I've been learning vanilla Javascript and React. Next I move on to learn Python. The instructors are patient, kind, and well organized. The program also teaches us how to think logically, helps us focus on long term memory skills and professional skills for the workplace. There are speakers and mentors on campus to pay it forward and answer our questions about the tech industry weekly and Kenzie hosts a monthly innovation series where leading tech advisors from all over come to talk with us.

• Michael McKenzie  User Photo
    Michael McKenzie • Student Cohort • Student Verified via GitHub

I started mid-July, 2018 and am going for the software engineer, 2yr program. It has been such a great experience so far at Kenzie Academy (KA). The school definitely cultivates a positive learning environment that teaches so many valuable skills; including technical programming, soft skills, and prepping for job interviews. The program is split into sections and different instructors head each one so I've been able to get multiple perspectives which has greatly helped me with understanding from different point of views. I've only been here for only 4 months but I have learned so much already. And better yet, KA has partnered with the local Indy community. They host speaker events bringing in local and national tech leaders that we actually get to talk one on one with (last event they brought in Terry Jones a.k.a founder of Travelocity). They provide part time jobs for when we are in school, hold to a strong standard of leaving no one behind, and lastly I've made some great friends that I would have never met. Don't get me wrong, I am challenged everyday here literally pushing my understanding but making sure that I do grasp it as well. The two most important things they teach are learning how to learn (from others but mostly on your own) and critical thinking.

• Scott Hager  User Photo
    Scott Hager • Tier 1 Support, Apple • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I started at Kenzie Academy having already received a Master's Degree from an accredited college, however, I felt as if all of those hours and the time and money I spent on my education was worthless once I actually graduated and was searching for jobs in the career field of my dreams. That's when I stumbled upon Kenzie Academy, they were a local accelerated education school within 20 miles of my home, so I did plenty of research before actually deciding to join up.

It has been the best decision of my life so far, not only do they have plenty to teach, but they have real instructors who themselves have been working in the industry. These instructors take time out of their busy schedules to help educate up-and-coming developers or designers fuel their passions into something meaningful and worthwhile. If ever a problem arises, the environment in which the school is built upon leaves plenty of creative fuel to help students understand why issues arise and how they are quickly solved. The environment that the school is built upon makes you feel like you are at home, there are lounges and plenty of spaces to study and interact with fellow students and instructors, I never get homesick when I am attending school, I make myself at home.

The school also schedules monthly talks with CEO's and business partners who come to the school and talk about their lives and their companies and I feel that is a really fantastic way to connect with people who you might potentially work with someday. This school has rekindled my passion for what I want to do in my life and it's all thanks to this school.

• Jake Berg  User Photo
    Jake Berg • Student Verified via LinkedIn

If you are at all interested in getting into the tech industry and either don't know where to start, or feel like you need a jump start to your career, this is a fantastic course. I spent quite a bit of time trying to learn Javascript on my own and realized how much faster it would be if I had likeminded people around to help propel me forward. The culture is fantastic and everyone there wants to see you succeed.

- 4/4/2018
    Kavitha  User Photo
    Kavitha • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie offers a hands-on learning environment where you learn by doing rather than sitting in front of a lecturer and trying to retain that information. You learn how to learn fast.I love this project based learning aspect at Kenzie. The environment is great. Instructors are super supportive and go above and beyond.  You not only learn to code but you will also learn the soft skills needed . Overall my experience at Kenzie so far is amazing. The curriculum is current. Anybody who wants to become a software developer should consider Kenzie.

- 4/4/2018
    Ryan Agard  User Photo
    Ryan Agard • Student Verified via GitHub

My experience at Kenzie so far has been extremely valuable in my growth as a developer. It is a flexible and fun learning environment, and is designed to create professional coders regardless of their initial starting knowledge. Kenzie provides a vast number of resources for support, and does a great job of teaching students how to think like developers. I am learning more than I ever have in my past attempts at self-teaching, and also having a great time.

• Morgan Shepard  User Photo
    Morgan Shepard • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie Academy is absolutely fantastic. The program is both flexible and challenging. The resources provided are well beyond invaluable. The instruction is in depth and attentive to individual needs. The emphasis on preparation for real world employment situations, be it on the job or the interview process is phenomenal.
    The curriculum is more current than one will find at a 4 year college, due to lack of red tape to inhibit the updating of the curriculum. It's fluid and adaptive and, as a result, quite engaging. The apprenticeship section of the program is designed to not only give you real work experience, but to put you in the position to work for perspective employers while still having access to school resources with which to learn.
    All in all, this is the best educational experience I've ever had.

- 4/3/2018
    Nick Howell  User Photo
    Nick Howell • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'd always been interested in coding and stumbled upon Kenzie.  The experience so far has been amazing!  Everyone is welcoming and the atmosphere of collaboration really makes me feel at home.  I hate studying on my own and the project based learning gets you hands on with the material and really works well for my learning style.

The instructors are really good about giving you additional projects if you find yourself being drawn towards particular topics so that you never get bored.  We've had a ton of interesting speakers (Google, 500 Startups, cryptocurrency experts, etc...) and opportunities to speak with local entrepeneurs who are using tech to solve problems in unique and interesting ways.

The mentorship program provides you with a built in base of industry personnel from a variety of companies who are ready and willing to interact with us on a personal level and provide information that we're interested in.

• Garnetta Matthews-Lincoln

Fast-paced environment. A large amount of course help. Must be dedicated, if you are you will succeed. They care because if you don't succeed they don't get paid! Great place for first-time coders. Must be serious and put in the time and effort.

• Olga Chupp • Student

I highly recommend the Kenzie Software Engineer program. The income share agreement is revolutionary and affordable. The ability to study remotely is extremely convenient. The lecturers and staff are both helpful and friendly.

I was looking to change my career field and Kenzie Academy provided the best opportunity available.I consider the training that I have already received to be invaluable to my future success.

I have always enjoyed coding and Kenzie has given me a practical use for that skill. It feels like I have a brand new space to grow in.

• Janell Huyck • Student

I'm currently enrolled in the Software Engineering program at Kenzie Academy.  The set-up is exactly as described on their website.

The payment arrangements are for real; I didn't have the money upfront for a boot camp, but I'm getting the education I need for a much better paying job.

We are getting real-world advice and questions answered by people who are leaders in the industry.  They dial in for question-and-answer sessions and are really helpful.

The program itself seems really well-thought-out and designed to walk you step-by-step through the learning process of becoming a programmer.  I'm not saying it's easy.  It's really hard.  They're teaching you how to independently learn to program.   At the same time...

There's lots of support from the coaches and facilitators as well as other students.  Seriously: one thing that Kenzie does well is making sure that there are enough people around to help you when you get stuck.  Because you're gonna get stuck or confused.  That's part of learning.

Kenzie doesn't promise a smooth ride.  But they promise to be with you every step of the way.  So far, everything they've told me has been trustworthy.  We're still near the beginning of the program, and I feel confident that it will be a challenging but worthwhile rest of the year and that they will prepare me to find, and actually help me get set up with that dream job.

They're invested in you and it shows.

• Dawn M. Smith • Student

Finding a training program that offers an Income Sharing Agreement (ISA) as a payment option is impossible. I was pleased to find a school that offered this opportunity. The digital marketing program covers not only the fundamentals of digital marketing but also covers the concepts of marketing in general. I would definitely suggest to anyone interested in a digital marketing program consider Kenzie Academy.

• Joe Barror • Student

I am a student of the se July 2019 cohort and i think the way they challenge you to learn is fun and rewarding.

They don't just give you all the answers, they challenge you to do the research necesary to accomplish the task at hand and figure out problems you encounter, and if you have trouble or get stuck they have an amazing support group of staff that is always willing to help. We call our cohort family because that's what it is like. Everyone is willing to help evryone else to achive the same goal. Team work makes the dream work!!!!

I HIGHLY recomend attending Kenzie Academy if you are interesnted in learnig up to date web development technologies.

And with their ISA program anyone can afford to get the education they need to succeed!

GO KENZIE!!!!!!!

• Randy • Student

i highly recommend for those who want a career in tech to look into kenzie ive been here for a little bit over a month and my time here its been amzazing ive learned so much.

• Jonas Troyer • Student

I have been to a top tier university and several other good programs.  I graduated from one of those with dean's list honors.  Here's the key, at Kenzie you learn real-world skills that are marketable to employers right out of the gate. You get skills that can be used immediately in the job market.  Other schools do not teach things that way, everything is theoretical.  Another thing that struck me about the place is that people actually treat you humanely, not like an indentured servant, like I felt at other schools.

• Mauricio Alvarado • Software Engineer Student • Student

I am currently a student at Kenzie, and my experience has been incredible , I feel like I'm learning so much and yet it hasn't even been more than 2 months . I can't wait to see what the future holds . The curriculum and staff and Kenzie is phenomenal not to mention my peer cohort students . Who are AWESOME  we are like a great big team always willing to help each other out and support one another !