kenzie-academy-logo

Kenzie Academy

Indianapolis, Online

Kenzie Academy

Kenzie Academy is a college alternative that offers a 1-year, full-time, project-based course in Software Engineering and UX Engineering online or in Indianapolis, Indiana. Students in the Software Engineering program will learn will learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, and Python/Django and graduate as junior full-stack web developers. The UX program covers website design and research and front end coding. The curriculum was created by industry practitioners and designed to parallel today’s workplace. With the aim of mimicking a real career in technology, Kenzie students begin every day with a standup, work in virtual teams, and receive one-on-one mentorship. Beyond technical skills, Kenzie also teaches students the practical knowledge needed to thrive in today’s modern workforce. Designed around the modern student, Kenzie Academy is a college alternative that teaches learners of all ages – with little or no experience – the digital skills that lead directly to a new career in technology.

Kenzie Academy’s program is open to anyone interested in tech with no programming experience required. Prospective students should be familiar with web browsers and search engines and comfortable with symbolic reasoning. Kenzie is looking for people with the right attitude and aptitude for success.

With employer partners throughout the country, Kenzie directly connects graduates to in-demand jobs. Kenzie aims for graduates to leave with the knowledge and confidence to succeed, changing their opportunities, and the full trajectory of their careers.

Recent Kenzie Academy Reviews: Rating 4.96

all (48) reviews for Kenzie Academy →

Recent Kenzie Academy News

Read all (14) articles about Kenzie Academy →
  • SOFTWARE ENGINEERING IN PERSON ( 12 MONTHS)

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, DevOps, React.js, Data Structures, Algorithms, Node.js, Front End, Scrum, Agile, Python
    LocationIndianapolis
    The Software Engineer track is designed to train our students to become skilled coders, while also equipping them with core computer science concepts, critical for advancement towards senior roles over time. The foundation of our curriculum includes learning the necessary coding skills as well as a sufficient understanding of how computers and systems work in order to architect, build, and maintain complex applications. Kenzie students who completed the Full-Stack Web Developer Track are eligible to apply for the Software Engineer Track. Students learn core computer science concepts and enterprise programming languages such as Java or equivalent.
    We offer Full ISA and Half ISA financing options, along with pay-in-full and payment plans
    Tuition PlansMonthly payment plan of $2,150/month Full ISA: 13% of income for 48 months
    Minimum Skill LevelStudents passing our cultural and technical assessment
    Prep Workhttps://online.kenzie.academy/
    July 28, 2020 - Indianapolis Apply by July 24, 2020
  • SOFTWARE ENGINEERING ONLINE (12 MONTHS)

LocationIndianapolis
    Full ISA and Half ISA available, along with Pay-In-Full or monthly payment plans
    Tuition Plansmonthly payment plan available, $2,150/month Or Income Share Agreement
    Minimum Skill Levelwe accept students with little to no coding experience
    Prep Workonline.kenzie.academy
    July 28, 2020 - Indianapolis Apply by July 24, 2020
  • USER EXPERIENCE ENGINEERING IN PERSON (12 MONTHS)

HTML, JavaScript, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, React.js, Front End
    LocationIndianapolis
    The emphasis is on developing proficiency in user experience design and front-end development, while providing a basic introduction to research, visual design, copywriting, project management, and software engineering. Graduates of this program will have the skills needed to be an entry-level User Experience (UX) Designer. A UX Designer's role is directly involved in the process of making a product useful, usable and enjoyable for its users. Through the program, students create a portfolio of individual and team projects that can be shown to future, potential employers. Students also learn to communicate effectively in an interview and professional setting.
    In an Income Share Agreement (ISA), you agree to pay a fixed percentage of your future earned income for a fixed period of time to Kenzie Academy. In exchange, you don’t have to pay the full cost of Kenzie tuition upfront.
    Tuition PlansPay-in-full, monthly payment plan at $2,150/month, or Income Share Agreement where you pay $100 to get started and nothing until you land a job making $40K/year
    July 28, 2020 - Indianapolis Apply by July 24, 2020
  • USER EXPERIENCE ENGINEERING ONLINE (12 MONTHS)

HTML, JavaScript, Design, User Experience Design, CSS, React.js, Agile
    We offer ISA, Pay-in-full, or payment plans at $2,150/month
    Tuition PlansPay-in-full, monthly payment plan available at $2,150/month, or Income Share Agreement where you pay $100 to get started and 13% a month of your salary once you land a job making over $40K.
    Minimum Skill Levelwe accept candidates with little to no design and coding skills
    Prep Workonline.kenzie.academy
  • Best program ever
    - 8/29/2019
    Haydar Mohammad Hassan  User Photo
    Haydar Mohammad Hassan • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I never thought i would make it in the beginning of the software engineering program but everyone in Kenzie Academy stood by my side and helped me through the front end part until i got my certificate, Kenzie Academy treats you as a member of the family.

• Do not recommend
    - 8/14/2019
    Kinga  User Photo
    Kinga • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn

I applied to the marketing program and right away scheduled my interview. The day of I needed to reschedule and made an appointment for the next day. I received a confirmation that J****** was looking forward to speaking to me. The day of a few hours before the scheduled time, my interview was canceled without any real explanation. SO I scheduled my discovery call with A****. The next day AGAIN my interview was canceled, this time I was told that the school is not doing any marketing interviews for now and they will reach out to me when they are ready. Pretty shady and disappointing to say the least!

Something else that is concerning that both J****** and A****, communicated from A****'s email address. In the intro email that I received, it said that the next cohort started in April, yet A**** the October one was still open.

Judging from everyone's great reviews, I am thinking that maybe this has happened to me, because of my age. The school's application does ask for age. Maybe I just have bad luck or this place is not for me. Either way, when and IF the school reaches out to me, I will not be scheduling my interview based on this poor experience so far.

• Zachary Kline  User Photo
    Zachary Kline • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie Academy is an amazing school, giving the feeling of more of a start up tech company than a classroom, students are free to collaborate on project which incrimentally get more challenging and build up your skills bit by bit. The concepts of coding are drilled into your brain by doing hands on coding instead of just following along with an instructor. Going into the course from knowing nothing about coding it is amazing to think where I am now to where I was just a few months ago. I was hesistant as first about the fact that the course is essentially a year long, but if you consider that in many cases you'll be doubling or maybe tripling your salary after you finish the time investment is more than worth it.

• The Perfect Fit
    - 12/24/2018
    Blake  User Photo
    Blake • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    Kenzie is the perfect mix of culture and skills training. You'll learn through a well crafted curriculum with industry veteran instructors. You'll learn something new daily and get a chance to demonstrate your new knowledge through collaborative projects. Through Kenzie Academy, you'll gain the exact skills you need to enter the tech industry.
  • Tyler M Ward  User Photo
    Tyler M Ward Verified via GitHub

Kenzie is a fantastic learning environment that all educational fascilities should take note of, and learn from.  I have only been in the program for a little over two months and still feel as though I have learned more than I ever did in college.  The reason for this is their project based philosphy that seeks to teach you how to teach yourself by doing, more than anything else.  No long, drawn out, lectures about arbitrary concepts that couldn't possibly help you anywhere in life.  Kenzie gets you in the habit of working, quite simply because they seem to be attempting to mimic a working environment to a T.  What better way to prepare students to work, than to get them working right now?

• Jennifer Browning  User Photo
    Jennifer Browning • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie Academy has been a wonderfule place to begin my career in Software Engineering. I've been learning vanilla Javascript and React. Next I move on to learn Python. The instructors are patient, kind, and well organized. The program also teaches us how to think logically, helps us focus on long term memory skills and professional skills for the workplace. There are speakers and mentors on campus to pay it forward and answer our questions about the tech industry weekly and Kenzie hosts a monthly innovation series where leading tech advisors from all over come to talk with us.

• Michael McKenzie  User Photo
    Michael McKenzie • Student Cohort • Student Verified via GitHub

I started mid-July, 2018 and am going for the software engineer, 2yr program. It has been such a great experience so far at Kenzie Academy (KA). The school definitely cultivates a positive learning environment that teaches so many valuable skills; including technical programming, soft skills, and prepping for job interviews. The program is split into sections and different instructors head each one so I've been able to get multiple perspectives which has greatly helped me with understanding from different point of views. I've only been here for only 4 months but I have learned so much already. And better yet, KA has partnered with the local Indy community. They host speaker events bringing in local and national tech leaders that we actually get to talk one on one with (last event they brought in Terry Jones a.k.a founder of Travelocity). They provide part time jobs for when we are in school, hold to a strong standard of leaving no one behind, and lastly I've made some great friends that I would have never met. Don't get me wrong, I am challenged everyday here literally pushing my understanding but making sure that I do grasp it as well. The two most important things they teach are learning how to learn (from others but mostly on your own) and critical thinking.

• Scott Hager  User Photo
    Scott Hager • Tier 1 Support, Apple • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I started at Kenzie Academy having already received a Master's Degree from an accredited college, however, I felt as if all of those hours and the time and money I spent on my education was worthless once I actually graduated and was searching for jobs in the career field of my dreams. That's when I stumbled upon Kenzie Academy, they were a local accelerated education school within 20 miles of my home, so I did plenty of research before actually deciding to join up.

It has been the best decision of my life so far, not only do they have plenty to teach, but they have real instructors who themselves have been working in the industry. These instructors take time out of their busy schedules to help educate up-and-coming developers or designers fuel their passions into something meaningful and worthwhile. If ever a problem arises, the environment in which the school is built upon leaves plenty of creative fuel to help students understand why issues arise and how they are quickly solved. The environment that the school is built upon makes you feel like you are at home, there are lounges and plenty of spaces to study and interact with fellow students and instructors, I never get homesick when I am attending school, I make myself at home.

The school also schedules monthly talks with CEO's and business partners who come to the school and talk about their lives and their companies and I feel that is a really fantastic way to connect with people who you might potentially work with someday. This school has rekindled my passion for what I want to do in my life and it's all thanks to this school.

• Jake Berg  User Photo
    Jake Berg • Student Verified via LinkedIn

If you are at all interested in getting into the tech industry and either don't know where to start, or feel like you need a jump start to your career, this is a fantastic course. I spent quite a bit of time trying to learn Javascript on my own and realized how much faster it would be if I had likeminded people around to help propel me forward. The culture is fantastic and everyone there wants to see you succeed.

- 4/4/2018
    Kavitha  User Photo
    Kavitha • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie offers a hands-on learning environment where you learn by doing rather than sitting in front of a lecturer and trying to retain that information. You learn how to learn fast.I love this project based learning aspect at Kenzie. The environment is great. Instructors are super supportive and go above and beyond.  You not only learn to code but you will also learn the soft skills needed . Overall my experience at Kenzie so far is amazing. The curriculum is current. Anybody who wants to become a software developer should consider Kenzie.

- 4/4/2018
    Ryan Agard  User Photo
    Ryan Agard • Student Verified via GitHub

My experience at Kenzie so far has been extremely valuable in my growth as a developer. It is a flexible and fun learning environment, and is designed to create professional coders regardless of their initial starting knowledge. Kenzie provides a vast number of resources for support, and does a great job of teaching students how to think like developers. I am learning more than I ever have in my past attempts at self-teaching, and also having a great time.

• Morgan Shepard  User Photo
    Morgan Shepard • Student Verified via GitHub

Kenzie Academy is absolutely fantastic. The program is both flexible and challenging. The resources provided are well beyond invaluable. The instruction is in depth and attentive to individual needs. The emphasis on preparation for real world employment situations, be it on the job or the interview process is phenomenal.
    The curriculum is more current than one will find at a 4 year college, due to lack of red tape to inhibit the updating of the curriculum. It's fluid and adaptive and, as a result, quite engaging. The apprenticeship section of the program is designed to not only give you real work experience, but to put you in the position to work for perspective employers while still having access to school resources with which to learn.
    All in all, this is the best educational experience I've ever had.