Jigsaw Labs is a data engineering bootcamp taught part-time and online. Jigsaw Labs offers a 24-week Data Engineering Bootcamp and a 12-week Web Development Bootcamp with Python. In the Data Engineering bootcamp, students will learn backend programming (Python, SQL, Flask and testing), how to work with professional codebases, DevOps (AWS, Docker), and data pipelines (Pyspark, Airflow, Redshift, DBT). The Web Development with Python course curriculum covers Python, OOP, SQL, Flask, and Dashboards.
The Career Course at Jigsaw Labs covers algorithms, advanced SQL, and refactoring to prepare students for engineering interviews. Students receive six months of online course work via zoom four days per week, followed by six months of bi-weekly post-work group sessions conducted via Zoom.
Recent Jigsaw Labs Reviews: Rating 5.0
Recent Jigsaw Labs News
- Virtualization, Networking, Data Analytics , Algorithms, Spark, DevOps, Data Engineering, Cloud Computing, MySQL, Linux, Data Visualization, Artificial Intelligence, SQL, Python, GitHub, Git, Data Science
OnlinePart Time18 Hours/week24 Weeks
Start Date October 12, 2021 Cost $5,500 Class size 12 Location Online, New York CityThe course is delivered in four modules: backend engineering, professional codebases, devops, and data pipelines. In the professional codebases module, students work with either a startup or an open source project to write code in a professional environment. 1. Backend engineering Students begin with by learning the fundamentals of coding in Python and SQL. This includes working with APIs, object oriented programming, writing tests, and relational databases in postgres. At the end of the module, students complete a solo project of building a data dashboard, where they pull in data from an API, loading it into SQL, and display results with an interactive web-based dashboard. 2. Professional Codebases This module reinforces backend engineering skills, but this time students practice exploring a codebase, reading other developer's code, understanding bugs, and writing professional level code to write a fix. Students will work either on an open source project, or with a startup to complete this work, but do so during class time, and in a classroom environment. 3. Devops In the third module, we'll learn devops skills by learning about containerization and deployment. In doing so we'll learn how to deploy an application using Docker, and AWS with a CI/CD workflow. 4. Data Pipelines In the fourth module, we'll round out our data engineering skills by learning S3, Airflow, and Redshift. We'll also learn to better structure code with DBT, and build dashboards with looker. 5. Post-work After completing the course, students are expected to attend bi-weekly classes where students will work on projects, review course material, and prep for interviews in a classroom environment.
Deposit $1000 FinancingIncome based repayment offered. Tuition Plans Students have the option of an income share agreement where students only pay if they are employed with annual salary of $70,000. Refund / Guarantee Students who complete the career course requirements only pay if they have received an offer of $70,000 in salary within 9 months of completing the program.
Minimum Skill Level Students complete a Python technical interview before being admitted to the course. Prep Work www.jigsawlabs.io Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
More Start DatesOctober 12, 2021 - Online Apply by October 01, 2021
Jigsaw Labs Reviews
10 reviews sorted by:
- Great foundation for Data Science- 3/28/2020Randall • Student • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedInI was in the Programming For Data Science class. The course schedule was part-time (nights and weekends), which was a major reason I signed up.
The course is a great place to start if you are interested in data science. If you can't access and manipulate data, you can't be a data scientist. The curriculum is an intro to all the basics in programming one would need to produce and manipulate data sets. This is exactly what I needed to get started in this field.
Jeff, the instructor, is engaging during class and generous with his time. He was willing to stay after class for questions and very responsive to email. It's obvious that he cares about his students.
The only downside to this class is that the pace is very fast (meaning lots of topics over a short period of time). Overall, I would recommend this class to anyone that wants to get started in data science. You will pick up a lot of great information and meet a great teacher.
- Best instructor you can hope for- 7/2/2021Chris • Data Engineer • Graduate • Course: Data Engineering Career Course • Campus: OnlineTake this bootcamp if you are seriously considering a Data Engineering career. Jeff will challenge you to grow, but also offers a lot of guidance if/when needed. A lot of the topics covered have helpful labs, and the class structure promoted pair and individual practice as well as support you need when making a career change. I got my job offer though his career services, but you have to do your part in studying and preparing. He strategically vets hiring managers and recruiters your way.
- Fantastic experience!- 6/4/2021Eric • Python Engineer • Course: Data Engineering Career Course • Campus: OnlineJeff obviously puts a lot of work into curriculum development. His explanations, readings, and labs are all really top-notch. I also think the curriculum itself is very strong, and he's made a good effort to ensure that the students actually use the tools that are taught (Python, AWS, Flask, Streamlit, PostgreSQL, Docker, Kubernetes, Redshift) when they build out their final projects. Docker and Kubernetes are possibly more DevOps- than Data Engineering-centric, but they're in huge demand, and once I put them on my LinkedIn profile I starting getting all kinds of relevant outreach from recruiters.
Most important, he gets a really good idea what the skills of the students are, and their interests and desires, then goes out and does a lot of legwork to get the students the interviews they need. He's a fantastic advocate. I got several interviews through him, and one of them turned into a job.
Oh, one more thing: he's very generous with his time. There are lots of one-on-ones in class and he provides office hours outside class—and strongly encourages students to use them.
My only con is that I wish he'd spent a little more time on PySpark and possibly NoSQL.
- Excellent Data Engineering Program- 4/16/2021Chris • Course: Data Engineering Career Course • Campus: OnlineI highly recommend the Data Engineering program from Jigsaw Labs. When I started the school, I had been trying to teach myself how to code with books and online tutorials for months. I quickly got up the learning curve with the excellent teaching and curriculum by Jeff (the instructor and founder of Jigsaw). Jeff cares so much about each student's progress and I like how the smaller class size allows for a more personalized learning experience. The curriculum builds a really solid understanding of the fundamentals and then grows this by covering a lot of topics at a quick pace. When I tell my software/data engineering friends what we're learning, they're impressed by how much the curriculum covers.
- Amazing Data Science Course- 3/11/2021Eric • Graduate • Course: Data Engineering Career Course • Campus: New York CityJeff provides amazing mentorship and instruction on the journey into Data Science. This was actually the second data science course I was involved in as the topics can become very complex very quickly. Jeff's understanding and ability to break down these topics made this course extremely enjoyable. To put it simply there are a lot of data science classes out there, but not many Jeff Katz.
The curriculum covered in this class can become overwhelming quickly so I would recommend making sure you have time in your life to focus.
- Data Engineering- 2/1/2021Luis • People Analytics - Reporting & Analytics • Student • Course: Data Engineering Career Course • Campus: OnlineHands down the best curriculum and instructor to introduce you to data engineering and cloud deployment. Jeff's personal approach shows you the intricacies of the industry and the tools needed to make you a sought out candidate. There is no substitute to hands on the keyboard and doing. If you're looking for a fast, highly technical, and relevant course, Jigsaw Labs is the school for you.
- Michele • Data Scientist • Graduate • Course: Data Engineering Career Course • Campus: OnlineJigsaw Labs' 'Data Science Career Course' really helped me level-up my skills in Python, SQL, APIs, building dashboards, machine learning, and project-building. The instructor is extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and flexible (depending on individual student's needs). Jigsaw Labs classes are taught part-time, after work hours (which made it extremely convenient for students with full-time jobs and other daytime obligations). Initially the course was taught in-person, however the boot camp went fully remote in March. Students came in at all skill levels; every class usually involved structured curriculum, lectures/demos from the instructor, followed by practical coding labs that we worked on in groups (in online breakout rooms, with help from the instructor when needed). Even though students came in at all levels of experience, all students came out of the boot camp with more skills and high-level and unique projects to expand their portfolios. A few months into the program, I was able to show the first project I completed at Jigsaw Labs to interviewers, which resulted in me being offered a competitive data science fellowship. Throughout the program, the Jigsaw Labs instructor and curriculum continued to help me improve on my projects and develop new skills; even after the program, the instructor continued to share resources and offer advice about my job search and how I could continue to improve my code and Github portfolio. A few months after completing the course, I landed my first data science job, so I would highly recommend applying to Jigsaw Labs for anyone looking to transition into a data science or data engineering career!
- Course Review- 10/16/2020Campbell Hutcheson • Graduate • Course: Data Engineering Career Course • Campus: New York City
- student- 3/18/2020Shannon • Student • Course: Coding For Data • Campus: New York CityJigsaw Labs is a part time data science class. Jeff is a great teacher because he is very patient and good at explaining things. The class is small so there is lots of one on one attention. The students also work together to reinforce new topics and concepts.
- Journey to data science- 3/16/2020kani • Analytics senior • Graduate • Campus: New York CityIt is easy for skills to stagnate in an ever-changing face of tech. Before Jigsaw, I had been trying online courses with disappointing results. It is difficult to maintain the drive required to study unassisted. While leaning, I also had to satisfy the demands of full-time work. Jigsaw helped me solve this puzzle.
It is a powerful combination hands-first curriculum, a considerate instructor and an engaging cohort that made my experience unique. The focus on industry-oriented knowledge and project-based work is beneficial for professionals with a goal of practical learning. Along with course instruction, the community in our cohort enabled discussions as a part of learning which is essential to progress. The on-demand availability of the instruction was also useful part of understanding.
I feel fortunate to have found Jigsaw at the right time. I would recommend anyone keen on investing their skills to give it a shot.