covalence-logo

Covalence

Covalence

Covalence provides career-changing 12-week, full-time and 6-month, part-time full stack web development educational programs online. In Covalence's Full Stack bootcamp, students learn the essentials of front-end, back-end, and database development by focusing on modern technologies and techniques, such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript (ES6), ReactJS, Node.js, Express, MySQL, and React Native.

Covalence’s Catalyst program is a full-time, immersive 12-week bootcamp delivered online. Catalyst students commit at least 40 hours per week to learn the curriculum through recorded video lectures and real-world project-based assignments. Covalence requires Catalyst students to attend daily webinars and participate in code reviews. Catalyst students have a dedicated instructor while going through the course, and they also have full access to the Covalence Community through Discord where they can receive additional real-time help from fellow students, Covalence alumni, and staff. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of real projects deployed to their GitHub profile, and they will be equipped with the necessary skills to be employed as a junior-level full stack software developer.

For students that are looking for a more flexible option, Covalence's 6-month Molecular program provides the same time-tested Full Stack curriculum as the Catalyst program, but it is offered at a part-time pace and flexible daily schedule. Molecular students receive weekly one-on-one mentoring with an instructor, exclusive features within the student learning portal (that Covalence built), and priority support channels in the Covalence Community. Like their Catalyst counterparts, Molecular students will also have a portfolio of projects ready to show prospective employers at the end of the course, and they'll also be ready to enter the job market as junior-level full stack software developers.

Covalence welcomes students from all backgrounds and experience levels. For both of their programs, students receive additional job prep and career resources, access to submit questions in a Stack Overflow-like Q&A feature in Covalence's student portal, and the ability to submit their assignments for review for personal feedback from an instructor.

Recent Covalence Reviews: Rating 4.65

all (52) reviews for Covalence →

Recent Covalence News

Read all (8) articles about Covalence →
  • Catalyst Software Development Bootcamp (Full-Time)

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, DevOps, Express.js, React.js, Algorithms, Android, Node.js, iOS, Front End, Scrum, Agile, REST, SQL
    Catalyst is a full-time, immersive 12-week bootcamp delivered online. Catalyst students commit at least 40 hours per week to learning the curriculum through recorded video lectures and real-world project assignments. Covalence requires Catalyst students to attend daily webinars and participate in code reviews. Catalyst students have a dedicated instructor while going through the course, and they also have full access to the Covalence Community through Discord where they can receive additional real-time help from fellow students, Covalence alumni, and staff. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of real projects deployed to their GitHub profile, and they will be equipped with the necessary skills to be employed as a junior-level Full Stack software developer. Once students make it through the application process, they can start on any given Monday!
    Deposit$50 application fee
    Financing options are available through SkillsFund
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
    Prep WorkBootcamp Prep course, which is included in the application fee.
  • Catalyst Software Development Bootcamp (Part-Time)

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, DevOps, Express.js, React.js, Android, Node.js, iOS, Front End, Scrum, Agile, REST, SQL
    For students that are looking for a more flexible learning option, Covalence's part-time Catalyst program provides the same time-tested Full Stack curriculum and features as its full-time counterpart, but it is offered at a part-time pace and flexible daily schedule. Part-time Catalyst students receive weekly one-on-one mentoring with an instructor, access to instructor-led webinars, exclusive features within the student learning portal (that Covalence built), and priority support channels in the Covalence Community. Catalyst students will also have a portfolio of projects ready to show prospective employers at the end of the course, and they'll also be ready to start their careers as entry-level Full Stack software developers. Enrollment is always open.
    Deposit$50 application fee
    Financing available through SkillsFund
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
    Prep WorkBootcamp Prep Course, which is included in the application fee.
  • Eric Hubbard • Graduate

Coding/programming was something that was always intriguing to me. In college, I didn't want to attempt learning how to code due to a little bit of intimidation. It just seemed scary and like something I'd never be able to do. After working in an ad agency for almost a year, I quickly discovered what I was doing was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I wanted to learn a skill that made me feel more valuable as an employee.

I began to research programming and found that front-end web development was where I belonged. It was the blend of coding and design that really caught my eye. After a couple months of trying to teach myself through online resources, I decided I needed to take an extra step if I really wanted to learn front-end web development quickly and efficiently. That's where the Depot/U comes in.

I saw a post about the Depot/U on LinkedIn and I knew immediately that the course was my most probable chance at a career change. The Depot/U was close (the only code bootcamp in Alabama) and affordable. After nervously completing the pre-work, I was ecstatic to learn I was accepted.

The 10 weeks spent at the Depot/U were demanding, challenging. and sometimes frustrating. But I never thought to myself "this isn't for me". If it was easy, everyone would do it. I had a strong motivation to learn everything I possibly could. Depot/U had the resources and teachers to provide me with all the knowledge I needed to know to become a front-end web developer. It was a fun and trying experience. The labs and projects they assign you are extemely helpful and rewarding. The instructors are excellent. Not only are they knowledgable developers, they are great overall people.

I was able to land two internships out of the class and I'm very grateful for those opportunities. My second internship lead to a full-time position. All because of the Depot/U. I have loved technology since I was very young, and working with it everyday is pretty much a dream come true. All in all, if you are willing to take the risk and WORK HARD at becoming a developer, the Depot/U is the place for you. Enrolling in the Depot/U was one of the best decisions I've made and I'll never forget the opportunity.

• Chase • Frontend Developer • Graduate

Coming into Depot/U I had no coding experience. I didn't even know what a front or a back end was. Getting started was a struggle. I absolutely love technology and computers, so I thought I would pick everything up super quickly. Some days it seemed like I wouldn't ever get the hang of it. The instructor(s) were extremely helpful and helped me realize that it was going to be that way for a while, and to really learn and understand these new things, I needed to struggle and force myself to learn. That's what the course really offers you that the ads/website don't mention. Not only do you learn all these excellent web skills and technologies, but you learn how to LEARN! Fast! Once I felt like I was getting the hang of things, the rest of the course was a blast. I became more comfortable with my skills on the computer as well as a more social student in the class. I began socializing with the people around me who also just so happened to be experiencing that "Ah ha!" moment, where as before I was too shy to talk to anyone! Throughout the course, there will be multiple companies that come in and talk with the students and explain what they look for when hiring new developers. This was super intimidating for me because they were using technological words that most of us had never heard before. But thanks to Depot/U bringing in those companies, I've had 2 PAID internships straight out of the program. I actually just found out today that I am being hired by the company that gave me my most recent internship! So the opportunities are certainly there. Do your best to take advantage of everything the course has to offer. Finally, a random tip I think anyone looking to take the course should know... Don't be afraid to treat the instructors and staff like your friends. They know a TON! And not only are they extremely nice and helpful with the course work, they are great people to just have a normal conversation with.

- 8/23/2016
    Jacob • Software Engineer • Graduate

I credit Depot/U with exposing me to programming concepts that allowed me to become a software engineer. While the course focused heavily on the front end, we were also exposed to back end and general programming concepts that could be applied across a variety of coding languages and platforms.

The coursework is demanding, especially if you're new to coding; I went in with no experience prior to completing the pre-course work, and the first few weeks in particular were very intense. However, those weeks were essential in my early formation as a coder. Without spending that time in a code-heavy environment with professional developers to assist me, I wouldn't have been prepared for the workplace in nearly as short a time.

Depot/U is an excellent investment for those looking for a career as a developer. Its focus on JavaScript as the primary programming language is apt, as JavaScript is everywhere now, and the focus on front end ensures a shorter amount of time before students are up and coding. The curriculum is still a bit raw--it's barely a year old--but has been refined, and will only get stronger as the program matures.

Also of great benefit to students is exposure to Innovation Depot, Birmingham's startup incubator. Depot/U does a good job of giving students access to several startup CEOs as well as representatives from other companies during the last few weeks of class. These professionals offer different perspectives on life as a developer, and several provide job opportunities.

As with any coding bootcamp, the benefits of Depot/U need to be weighed against the financial cost (reasonable compared to other bootcamps, though you are required to have a Mac), learning style of the potential student, and desire to spend an intensive amount of time immersed in code, both during and after the course. Depot/U teaches the basics of development very well, but the prospective student should also realize that additional time is needed after the course to specialize and master a particular language and platform, though s/he will be well prepared to enter the workplace upon graduation.

My own path through Depot/U was a successful one. This bootcamp gave me the tools to learn a new craft, and helped me discover a career that I love. If you decide to pursue a coding bootcamp, then I would give Depot/U my highest recommendation.

- 8/21/2016
    Doug • Front End Developer • Graduate

I completed the Front End Development course during Summer 2016.  Everything related to the course was as advertised.  It was a very demanding, fast paced experience that allowed me to build my knowledge base and skillset at a much more accelerated pace, in a much more organized manner, and with a much more sound foundation than I could have pulled off learning on my own.

The instructor was extremely helpful throughout the process and always available to assist whenever needed. At the end of the class, Depot/U invited a number of potential employers to attend our final presentations.  After we presented, I was contacted by one of the CEOs at a software development company who had attended and ended up landing an internship with his company, which was exactly the kind of gig I was looking for when I enrolled in the program.

It took a lot of hard work, but if you are looking to make a change and get your foot in the door in tech, I would fully recommend Depot/U.  If you fully commit to the process and fully immerse yourself in the experience - completing with the required prework, showing up to class each day, staying up late night after night by yourself working on assignments, listening to the instructors and guest lecturers, etc. - the process works.

- 8/8/2016
    Michael • Web Developer • Graduate

I graduated with the first class of Depot/U and would highly recommend anyone that is interested in the developer world to give it a try. The agency that I work for found out about Depot/U and realized immediately that it is a great tool to have in any city. I was working in a different department when my agency offered me a chance to take the course and move over to the interactive department. I immediately jumped on the opportunity as I had been practicing front end development on my own for a couple years with no huge improvement. In just 10 weeks, I was able to learn everything I needed to jump directly into the intereactive department and hit the ground running. I recommend doing all the pre-work plus some and you should have a good grasp of the work in class, even though it might take a week or two to click.

I was able to make many connections that help my career progress and I could never say enough about the friends that I have made by taking the course.

- 8/4/2016
    Jay • Front End Engineer • Graduate

I was a student of the first Depot/U developer's boot camp class and highly recommend the course to anyone interested. The instructors were very knowledgeable, approachable, and were always willing to help one-on-one when needed. I learned a lot of new skills at an extremely quick pace during the course. The only warning I would give is about the pace. It is very fast and you might feel lost at first. This is normal. If you are prepared to focus, spend many hours per day coding, and if you enjoy hands-on learning, you will excel in this class. I'd recommend checking out the pre-course work assignments to get a feel for some of the course material.

I consider myself lucky to have participated in the first class for this program. I landed a significantly better job than I previously had, made lots of professional connections, and made lots of great friends that I still keep in touch with.

• Anonymous • BI Analyst • Student

I'm very happy with what I've gained from the Covalence so far. My hope was to go through a curriculum that would logically guide me through the concepts and skills relevant to building modern end-to-end applications. This curriculum definitely does that. However, as an atomic student, I've missed a lot that would easily come with direct help from instructors. I've supplemented the curriculum at times with paid courses by Mosh Hamedani. Between Covalence and Mosh, I'm well on my way.

The course has given me the confidence to continue teaching myself more technical business analysis concepts, which has helped me land a great job. I'm excited to continue learning about modern web/application development and eventually move into a product management role.

The material in this program is very good. They go over it with an online video everyday during the lecture part of the day and you are given an assignment in the afternoon for a “lab”. That is the basic structure of the class. You are pretty much left to struggle through it unless you ask the TA or instructor for help. Everyone seems to go at a different pace. Some people get it easier than others of course, and once someone gets behind some people seem to stay that way. It is EXTREMELY fast paced. The week before our projects were due, our instructor missed the entire week and no-one knew why. Once he returned he explained why he was out, but also said that the students should not need an instructor this late in the course, that students have to build the app on their own. I disagree with this for the simple fact that students are PAYING for an instructor to be there in person, to a point when you all are coming to the same road block you need someone to guide you in a different direction. I understand to a point that the situation that occurred could not be helped. But there was poor communication all around on the part of the instructor and Covalence regarding this issue. That to me is poor business practice. I would take the course again, I learned a lot and enjoyed the material, but there probably needs to be some kind of policy implemented in case an instructor is going to miss a consecutive amount of time.

• Online Content
    - 2/27/2018

I started the course a few weeks ago, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I've been through a bunch of different online options, and I learned some concepts. They were good teachers, but the structure of this online course makes you learn the material at a deeper level. You get labs that you have to complete before moving on, and they aren't guided. You actually create projects locally and push them to GitHub which I like since it builds my portfolio.

Also, the community is great. You are put in a channel with the other classes that are in person as well. There are several hundred people active and the conversations range from coding to cats.

I'm still going through the course, but it is working for me. I am learning at a level I never have before, and I highly recommend it.

I did the Molecular plan so that I get 1:1 support and career services.

• Bham Full Stack
    - 1/8/2018
    Anonymous • Web Developer • Graduate
    I had gone to Jeff State and majored in Web Technologies, but after I graduated, I still felt lost and wasn't comfortable with my skills. All of my textbooks were from the early 2000s and all of my classes were online so I didn't get the chance to make any connections with people in the field. Knowing how fast technology changes, I knew I wasn't ready to land a job in my dream field. I was so excited when I found out about Covalence, I'd be able to learn the most current and relevant techniques/languages and meet people who were interested in the same things I was.

The lectures and instructors were great and helpful! There was a clear path of what all we were learning and what was expected of us. It was definitely hard work and extremely confusing at times, but they do that on purpose in order for it to really sink into your mind. One major downside, however, of my particular cohort was the size of the class. With 30 students and only 2 instructors there to help, it sometimes felt like we were all fighting over time with them and I know I definitely missed out on getting help sometimes. Some students had complaints throughout the course, and it really seemed like the Covalence team had a hard time accepting negative feedback. There was even a (very inappropriate) speech from the CEO delivered in front of our friends and family at graduation blaming the students for their problems with the course.

However, I can't deny that Covalence jump started my career and allowed me to learn more than I could ever imagine in such a short time. I definitely have them to thank for my current and future success. I'd reccomend the course to anyone trying to break into the development field.

• Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

Recently graduated from the Full-Stack program in Birmingham. I did most of the course pre-work and felt comfortable enough to follow through with it. Here's an honest review after some time to reflect on the experience:

** I had no coding experience prior to this course**

The course starts off with "easing into" coding with some simple styling labs. There's one lab a day after the morning lecture where students get to struggle through the exercises. I think Matt Landers (Covalence founder) has smartly used this "struggle through it until you get it" concept to maximize the efficiency of the program. 10 weeks is a very short time to get students quality time and exposure to coding and I do think that struggling through it is the best way (albeit very difficult) way to learn the material. By the time we reached the final projects, I felt like I had most of the tools to feel self-sufficient in creating a full-stack website. Feeling comfortable and feeling independent definitely took some more studying on my end, especially for the "final assessment," to feel like I really had a solid understanding of how everything worked together.

My main frustration with the program came with the misleading job prospect promises. Throughout the program and beyond graduating, Covalence keeps a network of job opportunities and will provide students with job listings for entry-level development jobs. There is a student success coach looking over job listings on job-hunt websites (Indeed, Monster, etc.) and providing advice on resumes and cover letters. She was very helpful where she could be and these are great resources to have! However, they do not live up to the expectations that were set at the beginning of the course. If you're already a proactive person, these resources are what you as an aspiring developer would be using anyway so it really doesn't afford you much of an advantage in the job market. We were told about the great connections that Covalence has with employers, some of whom are actually your mentors in the course, although I literally saw my mentor once - the initial meet-and-greet day. You are also told how rapidly Birmingham is growing and how in-demand web developer skills are currently. These claims are still true! Just know that the bootcamp is your foot in the door to web development. It will require much more work on your part to really be marketable as an entry-level developer in the job market. In reality, you will be doing 95% of the work to get yourself hired so set your expectations accordingly and take the job promises guardedly.

Final thoughts: The program is overall a great program for an accelerated jump into web development. The cost certainly beats the alternative (entirely self-directed learning or Computer Science degree), but the price tag is a bit high for the value IMO. If you already have job prospects, using these skills to supplement existing skills to make you more valuable, or your company is already sending you, it's a slam dunk and you have nothing to lose. If you're quitting your job to change direction and fully jump into web development, make sure you really take time to weigh the pro's and con's. It's literally an investment so make sure you feel like it's worth investing in.

• ["hip","hip"]
    - 8/4/2017
    The course content and instructor exceeded my expectations, and I feel well prepared to venture out into this career. This bootcamp style of learning might not be for everyone because of it's fast pace. It does demand a lot of time inside and outside of the class. I would recommend it to anyone who is wanting a career change into web dev without going through the time and money of traditional college.