covalence-logo

Covalence

Covalence

Covalence provides career-changing 12-week, full-time and 6-month, part-time full stack web development educational programs online. In Covalence's Full Stack bootcamp, students learn the essentials of front-end, back-end, and database development by focusing on modern technologies and techniques, such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript (ES6), ReactJS, Node.js, Express, MySQL, and React Native.

Covalence’s Catalyst program is a full-time, immersive 12-week bootcamp delivered online. Catalyst students commit at least 40 hours per week to learn the curriculum through recorded video lectures and real-world project-based assignments. Covalence requires Catalyst students to attend daily webinars and participate in code reviews. Catalyst students have a dedicated instructor while going through the course, and they also have full access to the Covalence Community through Discord where they can receive additional real-time help from fellow students, Covalence alumni, and staff. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of real projects deployed to their GitHub profile, and they will be equipped with the necessary skills to be employed as a junior-level full stack software developer.

For students that are looking for a more flexible option, Covalence's 6-month Molecular program provides the same time-tested Full Stack curriculum as the Catalyst program, but it is offered at a part-time pace and flexible daily schedule. Molecular students receive weekly one-on-one mentoring with an instructor, exclusive features within the student learning portal (that Covalence built), and priority support channels in the Covalence Community. Like their Catalyst counterparts, Molecular students will also have a portfolio of projects ready to show prospective employers at the end of the course, and they'll also be ready to enter the job market as junior-level full stack software developers.

Covalence welcomes students from all backgrounds and experience levels. For both of their programs, students receive additional job prep and career resources, access to submit questions in a Stack Overflow-like Q&A feature in Covalence's student portal, and the ability to submit their assignments for review for personal feedback from an instructor.

Recent Covalence Reviews: Rating 4.65

all (52) reviews for Covalence →

Recent Covalence News

Read all (8) articles about Covalence →
  • Catalyst Software Development Bootcamp (Full-Time)

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, DevOps, Express.js, React.js, Algorithms, Android, Node.js, iOS, Front End, Scrum, Agile, REST, SQL
    Catalyst is a full-time, immersive 12-week bootcamp delivered online. Catalyst students commit at least 40 hours per week to learning the curriculum through recorded video lectures and real-world project assignments. Covalence requires Catalyst students to attend daily webinars and participate in code reviews. Catalyst students have a dedicated instructor while going through the course, and they also have full access to the Covalence Community through Discord where they can receive additional real-time help from fellow students, Covalence alumni, and staff. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of real projects deployed to their GitHub profile, and they will be equipped with the necessary skills to be employed as a junior-level Full Stack software developer. Once students make it through the application process, they can start on any given Monday!
    Deposit$50 application fee
    Financing options are available through SkillsFund
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
    Prep WorkBootcamp Prep course, which is included in the application fee.
  • Catalyst Software Development Bootcamp (Part-Time)

MySQL, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, DevOps, Express.js, React.js, Android, Node.js, iOS, Front End, Scrum, Agile, REST, SQL
    For students that are looking for a more flexible learning option, Covalence's part-time Catalyst program provides the same time-tested Full Stack curriculum and features as its full-time counterpart, but it is offered at a part-time pace and flexible daily schedule. Part-time Catalyst students receive weekly one-on-one mentoring with an instructor, access to instructor-led webinars, exclusive features within the student learning portal (that Covalence built), and priority support channels in the Covalence Community. Catalyst students will also have a portfolio of projects ready to show prospective employers at the end of the course, and they'll also be ready to start their careers as entry-level Full Stack software developers. Enrollment is always open.
    Deposit$50 application fee
    Financing available through SkillsFund
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
    Prep WorkBootcamp Prep Course, which is included in the application fee.

This Bootcamp was a great kickstart for me. I had have trouble in the past with college courses and how slow they teach different elements of programming. This Bootcamp challenged me and forced me to stay on track. If you are considering this course, be ready for a full force 10-weeks where you are learning something new every day.

The instructors for this course also make it their personal mission to make sure you learn this stuff and will work with you with any questions you have. There was never a time that I was left waiting for answers. If you have a question after hours or on the weekend, the instuctors are always available through the slack channel, taking time out of their personal days to help.

And that is not all! Even after the course is finished, the team is dedicated to finding you a career in this new field. They work with you during to course to find the best way to structure your resume and linkedin profile to best catch potential employers eyes, and after you complete your training they work as a networking connection for you.

Truly there has never been a better way to learn how to become a full stack developer.

• Payton Haisten • Student

This was the perfect class for all types of learners. We were given access to video lectures instead of a in person lecture from an instructor. So if there was a concept that didn't click with one student and it did with the other, then we would be able to go at our own pace to fully grasp the concepts from lecture. The instructor for our class was still very involved, especially when questions would arise and problems persisted. He was knowledable, understanding, patient and wanted all of us to suceed.

The video lectures were also updated when we gave feedback. They were very responsive to all students and their requests to make the content of lectures, labs, etc. better.

Overall, this program prepared me for a new career and to continually imporve my skills and knowledge in the development world.

• Student • Software Developer • Graduate

The course starts off reviewing the prework, but that only lasts a day. In the first week, you're thrown into JavaScript headfirst. It was a challenge to keep up, but I made it out alive and got a job. Highly recommended!

• Mark Kozlowski • Graduate

I just finished Covalence, and it's incredible to think about everything that I've learned over the past 10 weeks. Coming into the course, I knew (very) basic HTML, I know what CSS was, and had taken a couple of JavaScript courses. Leaving the class, I know the basics of building and deploying a fully functional web application with a supporting database. Pretty crazy.

The instructors are top-notch - knowledgeable and always (seriously, always) willing to help. I'm very thankful for them.

If you'd like to see an example of my group's final project, head over to www.filmstack.co and take a look!

• Peyton
    - 8/4/2017
    Peyton Clark • Graduate

I thought that this class was effectively set up and that our instructors did a great job of teaching the material. I understand that through the course of our ten weeks that Covalence lost a couple members of the team, but there seemed to be a seamless transition between the old and new team.

If there is anything that I would say to approve on in the future, it would be to make sure that the students are up to date on the speakers coming in. When Daxco came to speak to our class (the day after I applied for a job with them), none of us had any idea that they were coming until the morning of. There were a couple other times when we were given really short notice about speakers.

Beyond that one gripe, I would give the program high marks. Grayson did a great job, Jeff did a great job, and the rest of the team did a great job.

• Megan Bond • Student

Two things to really consider before applying:

1. If you're a beginner and even if you've done the pre-coursework, think again.  After four days of the bootcamp, I soon realized that I wasn't "up to par".  I had done the pre-coursework and more, and, as much as I was willing and eager to learn, this coding bootcamp was not for the beginner that I was, and I needed more time to fully digest the material and work on my programming skills.  That said, I withdrew after four days by sending an email, and I didn't hear anything back.

2. Think twice about the pro-rated fund.  After withdrawing, I began to get worried since I was now jobless and in need of those funds.  After calling several times, I finally got the person in charge (after A WEEK had gone by), and she sent me an email back that said the prorated fund was according to Tennessee's standards and not prorated by Covalence themselves.  This was not clearly stated in anything that Covalence had sent out previously, and my four days ended up costing $2,000 or more (still undetermined since I still haven't received a refund).  Needless to say, I was quite disappointed and frustrated by the lack of communication on their end and up front for who the program was truly geared for and how the pro-rated system worked.

• Great experience
    - 5/2/2017
    Clay • Student

Covalence provides all the tools necessary for you to effectively reach a new level of expertise as a programmer. It takes a lot of effort from the student in return. There's no secret to replace the hours of hard work. Make sure you're able to fully commit to the time necessary if you're planning on doing any sort of coding bootcamp. The instructors are very, very knowledgeable and approachable to help you get past problems you're stuck on. Part of getting better though is finding the answer yourself too.

If you trust yourself to be disciplined and mildly intelligent, you can do it. Don't be intimidated. Make sure you're building a portfolio of projects on GitHub cause it will help you drastically when interviewing. For those looking to a career change, do it. You'll also enjoy it more the better you get at it, because you'll start to be able to see the progress you're making and the applications you can create.

• Greg Peranich • Senior Network Systems Engineer • Graduate

Last year, I made the tough decision to quit my full time job to pursue a career in software development.  I was fortunate enought to be a part of the first full stack development class at Covalence, which in the end proved to be the greatest facilitator through the journey to make the change.  I was able to learn above and beyond the basics of front/back end javascript development, knowledge which I use every day in my new job.  I would highly recommend the program for anyone that is serious about becoming a software developer.

Though, as with all forms of education, what you get out of the program is directly proportional to the amount of work that you are willing to put into it. What the program offers is a great framework to learn, along with astute instructors that will be able to answer any questions and solve (most) problems that come their way. What the program does not offer is free jobs upon graduation. The impetus is on those within the program to use the available resources to perfect their craft, both within the bounds of the curriculum and on any outside personal projects. Often, the work done outside of class is what will land the job.

Overall, I am a huge fan of what Covalence has to offer. If given the opportunity to go back and decide on taking the course again, I would choose to be a part of it 100% of the time.

• Rachel Hart • Software Developer • Graduate

I was part of the first full stack development course and, as with any new product or offering, there are always some kinks to work out the first time around. At the time that I took the course, I decided to quit my fulltime position and to also take complimentary college classes in conjunction with the Depot/U course.  As busy as I was, in hindsight, I believe more could have been added to the curriculum to better prepare students for actual development jobs.  Specifically, learning the basics of unit testing, debugging tools, practical exposure to development methodologies, interview scenarios completing whiteboard problems, and spending some more time on object oriented languages, instead of just JavaScript, would have better prepared students for employment post-graduation.

I was very fortunate that several local companies were very interested in me as a prospective employee during the time that I was taking the course and I ultimately ended up accepting a position and starting the same week we graduated. I would caution prospective students to not be complacent in any manner with regards to potential employers or jobs. Make sure to update your resume and LinkedIn profile at the start of the course, join networking groups, put yourself out there speaking to recruiters and fellow tech enthusiast; anything to widen your circle of contacts and to grow your support network as you undertake this challenge.

Overall, I am very happy that I chose to invest my time and money in the Full Stack Development course and if I could go back and make the decision again, I would absolutely choose to take the course again.  Last year was a year of change for me and the Depot/U Full Stack Development course was a huge facilitator of the career change I chose to make.

• Rebeccah • QA Engineer • Student

I took the Front End After-Hours class this past fall. I had coded previously while I was in college and had a good basic knowledge, but there were definitely holes in my foundation. I knew that I wanted a career change and looked to Depot/U to gain confidence in my abilities and re-strengthen my foundation.

I felt that I was able to relearn the basics during the class. I have noticed they have since shortened this class to a single week and would agree with that change.

My main goal and the main goal of all of the others in my class was to eventually change careers and I did not feel that this class assisted with that. While in the class I applied for jobs, I got an interview for a QA position. I was really excited because the company I was applying for had a clear goal for career development and it was outlined for me from the beginning of my interview process. I also didn't feel that I was ready to begin work as a software developer coming out of the class. Unfortunately, my excitement was diminished when my teacher called QA a "click monkey position." I have since begun work at the company I interviewed with, in the QA position, and every day I have the opportunity to work towards my goal of development. I believe that those going through the class should be encouraged to join the Tech community in the best way that suits them, everybody needs to start somewhere.

After an interview, I identified a clear void of job interview prep and asked the instructors to assist with this. Unfortunately, nothing came of it and we were unable to work it into the time we had.

If Covalence decides to run the After Hours course again, I would really encourage them to find somebody able to just teach that class. By the end of our work days, the students were exhausted and we really needed somebody in front of us that was fresh and ready to go. Our teacher worked a full time job and our TA was taking the all day full stack class. Both of them had been working 8+ hours by the time they even got to us. At times this class felt overlooked and I felt that I missed out on some of the opportunities afforded to others despite paying the same amount.

In the end, I got what I needed to out of the class and was able to translate that into a successful career change. I am very happy with my decision to take the class, but hope they will take this feedback and make positive changes for the future.

Response From: Matt Morgan of Covalence
    Title: President
    Monday, Mar 06 2017
    Hi Rebeccah,

Thank you so much for the honest and sincere feedback and congratulations on your position as a QA Engineer! QA is a critical piece of the software development lifecycle and I apologize if anyone associated with our program at the time made you feel like that position was anything short of commendable.

The After Hours course was our attempt to give those interested in changing their career an opportunity to do so while also maintaining their current job during normal business hours. While we believe the course still offered the same great opportunities that our full-time courses offer, we too noticed both the burden and disadvantages of having to learn such a mentally intensive curriculum after an already hard day's worth of work. I believe every student in the After Hours course was forced to be mentally tougher and work significantly harder to fully tap into their true potential.

All that being said, we did decide that it was best not to run the After Hours course anymore. We feel that we owe it to our students to understand that the intensity of the course and the stress of another job do not complement each other and that a singular focus is needed if you want to make something as difficult as changing your career as streamlined as possible.

We really appreciate all the feedback and promise to take it into account as we continue to evolve our processes and curricula. We wish you the best of luck in your new career and can't wait to follow up in a couple of months to see how it's been going!
  • Depot/U Review
    - 8/26/2016
    John • Graduate

Coming to Depot/U was one of the best decisions I made in Birmingham.  It taught me how to use technology to solve problems and allowed me to jumpstart my career in technology.  The course was extremely useful in terms of learning a big picture view and then drilling down into specifics - the instructor being very strict with formatting and quality of code has been a great aid in my current job.