covalence-logo

Covalence

Covalence

Covalence provides career-changing 12-week, full-time and 6-month, part-time full stack web development educational programs online. In Covalence's Full Stack bootcamp, students learn the essentials of front-end, back-end, and database development by focusing on modern technologies and techniques, such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript (ES6), ReactJS, Node.js, Express, MySQL, and React Native.

Covalence’s Catalyst program is a full-time, immersive 12-week bootcamp delivered online. Catalyst students commit at least 40 hours per week to learn the curriculum through recorded video lectures and real-world project-based assignments. Covalence requires Catalyst students to attend daily webinars and participate in code reviews. Catalyst students have a dedicated instructor while going through the course, and they also have full access to the Covalence Community through Discord where they can receive additional real-time help from fellow students, Covalence alumni, and staff. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of real projects deployed to their GitHub profile, and they will be equipped with the necessary skills to be employed as a junior-level full stack software developer.

For students that are looking for a more flexible option, Covalence's 6-month Molecular program provides the same time-tested Full Stack curriculum as the Catalyst program, but it is offered at a part-time pace and flexible daily schedule. Molecular students receive weekly one-on-one mentoring with an instructor, exclusive features within the student learning portal (that Covalence built), and priority support channels in the Covalence Community. Like their Catalyst counterparts, Molecular students will also have a portfolio of projects ready to show prospective employers at the end of the course, and they'll also be ready to enter the job market as junior-level full stack software developers.

Covalence welcomes students from all backgrounds and experience levels. For both of their programs, students receive additional job prep and career resources, access to submit questions in a Stack Overflow-like Q&A feature in Covalence's student portal, and the ability to submit their assignments for review for personal feedback from an instructor.

Recent Covalence Reviews: Rating 4.65

all (52) reviews for Covalence →

Recent Covalence News

Read all (8) articles about Covalence →
  • Catalyst Software Development Bootcamp (Full-Time)

Catalyst is a full-time, immersive 12-week bootcamp delivered online. Catalyst students commit at least 40 hours per week to learning the curriculum through recorded video lectures and real-world project assignments. Covalence requires Catalyst students to attend daily webinars and participate in code reviews. Catalyst students have a dedicated instructor while going through the course, and they also have full access to the Covalence Community through Discord where they can receive additional real-time help from fellow students, Covalence alumni, and staff. At the end of the course, students will have a portfolio of real projects deployed to their GitHub profile, and they will be equipped with the necessary skills to be employed as a junior-level Full Stack software developer. Once students make it through the application process, they can start on any given Monday!
    Deposit$50 application fee
    Financing options are available through SkillsFund
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
    Prep WorkBootcamp Prep course, which is included in the application fee.
  • Catalyst Software Development Bootcamp (Part-Time)

REST, Agile, Android, CSS, Express.js, Front End, Git, HTML, iOS, JavaScript, jQuery, Mobile, MySQL, Node.js, React.js, Scrum, SQL, DevOps
    For students that are looking for a more flexible learning option, Covalence's part-time Catalyst program provides the same time-tested Full Stack curriculum and features as its full-time counterpart, but it is offered at a part-time pace and flexible daily schedule. Part-time Catalyst students receive weekly one-on-one mentoring with an instructor, access to instructor-led webinars, exclusive features within the student learning portal (that Covalence built), and priority support channels in the Covalence Community. Catalyst students will also have a portfolio of projects ready to show prospective employers at the end of the course, and they'll also be ready to start their careers as entry-level Full Stack software developers. Enrollment is always open.
    Deposit$50 application fee
    Financing available through SkillsFund
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required.
    Prep WorkBootcamp Prep Course, which is included in the application fee.
  • Jennifer Farnish  User Photo
    Jennifer Farnish • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Becoming a developer was something I had wanted to do for quite some time, but was unsure of how to get there. Having already gotten a degree in accounting, I didn't feel like going back to college was the right choice for me at this time, both for financial reasons and the time investment required. Luckily, a friend recommended Covalence to me and it sounded like the right option.

I had tinkered around with web design back in high school and also took a few online courses more recently, so I knew I enjoyed learning the subject matter, but I wasn't sure how I would translate this into a career change or even which technologies I should be focusing on. Covalence really helped by giving me a clear path, showing me how everything connected from the back end to the front end, and making me feel confident enough to actually look for developer positions!

The curriculum is challenging and I very much encourage any future students to spend lots of time outside of class doing their own independent studying and practice. This is not something you can just half devote yourself to. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll celebrate small victories, and you'll definitely curse out your computer a few times. The last two weeks were particularly challenging as we had to use all the technologies we learned to come up with a group project that we would demo at graduation.  However, I feel like those last two weeks were when I grew the most and I'm very proud of our completed project, a food truck locating web app!

The instructor and TA were top-notch and had the patience of saints, helping us with anything we struggled with. Of course, part of the learning process is the struggle, so often I would just beat my head against the wall until I understood it because I'm stubborn like that, haha. However, they were always there when we needed them.

All that said, what would a review be without a couple of critisms though, right?

One criticism I have of the program was that our class was way too big (around 30 students), but I think that's something they learned their lesson on and will watch out for in future cohorts. Also, the mentor program could be a little more robust with maybe some additional scheduled interactions. We met our mentors very early into the class and didn't really know enough to have a lot of meaningful questions or conversations with them. I think it could even be beneficial to have actual former participants come in to tell their stories and provide some encouragement, especially during the more challenging weeks.

It's also worth noting that there's a very good chance you will not immediately have a job upon completion of the course, so I would recommend any prospective students plan accordingly. I know a lot of us were so busy and stressed with final projects that we didn't feel like we had much time or energy to focus on interviewing during the program. However, don't let that discourage you! It will just save you a lot of stress if you're able to plan ahead for that possibility. Once the course is over, just keep learning and applying and make sure to take advantage of the career success tools (and people) that Covalence provides you.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the program to someone who is looking for a way to transition into the software engineering world, especially if they already have a passion for it. I'm not sure I would have ever gotten to this point on my own and for that I am very grateful for Covalence. I'm very excited to be starting a career I actually enjoy!

• Great kickstart!
    - 1/18/2018
    Patrick   User Photo
    Patrick • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    I was stuck in a series of dead-end jobs that either lacked money, purpose, or both. I originally was looking into engineering school, but found it way too lofty of a price and too long to get through. I learned about Covalence through a friend who refers many people who are trying to break into the world of development, and while i have found free online courses, this is worth it for the benefit of having human interaction and problem solving and learning through teamwork. It is very difficult, as there is a lot packed into the cirriculum, but it's worth the hard work.
  • Covalence Bootcamp
    - 1/17/2018
    Tyson W. McCrary  User Photo
    Tyson W. McCrary • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

My experience with Covalence was great.  Having some knowledge of HTML CSS and Javascript prior to starting the camp, my knowledge of these subjects has improved drastically.  During this bootcamp, differenct aspects where covered along with examples of how it is used in real world applications.  I was introduced to node.js during this bootcamp which as a great asset to have.  I learned how to implent node.js with angular js, and how to use cloud base services such as AWS and heroku.  We also learned about SQL, and how it is used with web development.  During this camp, students had oppurunity to talk with employers in the technology field in which they offered advice about what future employers would be looking for from Junior Web Developers.  All in all, I'm glad to have been apart of this bootcamp, an using the adivce, tips and tricks I have learned, continue to pursue coding not just as a hobby but a potential career in the future.

• Carlton Lewis  User Photo
    Carlton Lewis • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    Covalence not only taught me how to code but how to learn. I was put in a position where it was crucial for me to process what I was being taught before rushing to apply it, which helped me to excel. I believe whole heartedly that taking this class was by far one of the best decisions I have ever made. Covalence challenged and pushed me to learn how to use the skills that I have to help others succeed in this field as well. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a graduate from such a stellar program!
  • Jeff Linn  User Photo
    Jeff Linn • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Covalence taught me the coding fundamentals and advanced tech stack that I use everyday in my work. It helped me to a conquer a mountain of coding information and got me to a point where I can start seeking real, fulfilling employment in web development. Highly recommended.

• Paula Suarez • Graduate
    If you do not have software experience and you want to learn how to code, this is the program for you!  If you have experience and want to continue your learning, this program is for you.  The full time program is a lot of work...you have to put in the time and the effort to learn.  The content and course work builds upon itself seamlessly, and the instructors are there for you every step of the way.
  • Chris Smith • Graduate
    Joining Covalence to learn how to code is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I was in retail/food service for 10+ years before deciding to learn how to code, and Covalence was exactly what I needed. The way they have their courses set up build perfectly to teach you what you need to know. The people they have teaching and meeting up with you are super helpful and knowledgeable. I would absolutely recommend Covalence to anyone interested in coding!
  • Mileage may vary
    - 6/7/2019
    Mack • React Native Developer • Student

You get out of this class what you put in. But if you have any programming background, steer clear, find a more aggressive boot camp to push and challenge you. Covalence caters to those with no programming experience at all and moves at that pace. If that's you - this is probably the program for you, you will have a great experience.

I truly believe they give students a great foundation with which they can work with, but not one in which you'll be ready to provide meaningful impact at a development shop on your first day out of the course. They may try to sell you otherwise.

In my experience, instructors are phenomenal. They have passion and empathy as they were likely a student prior and will help you as much as they can.

Not a bad program, good content, good experience. They could go a ltitle easier on the "let us bring value and meaning to your otherwise devoid life", maybe they already have. Just try to read through the sales pitches and accept them for what they are.

• Nathan Griffith • Student • Student

I started going to Covalence a little over 3 months ago. I initially enrolled in the self-guided plan (Molecular) that offered instructor support via phone, Skype, and  the Discord channel. When they rolled the Catalyst out I decided to go ahead and jump in that. I want to mention I only did this because I liked the idea of being able to go full time which is perfect since i'm currently in college and can finish before I go back. I am currently waiting to start the Catalyst, and I couldn't be more excited! The wonderful people at Covalence will always take swift and efficient measures to make sure you get the help you need. They also are open to listening to the students to ensure their product is properly able to engage us and help us learn.  The instructors literally hand build most of the applications we use and because of that, they are able to change and adapt the platform at a moments notice to make it better for the whole community. If you are concerned that the program is only offered online do not let this deter you from them. I have honestly never seen a more efficient method of learning online than the unique way they have set up their curriculum. Let me tell you I have taken a lot of online courses. Interacting with the team at Covalence with their customized online infrastructure is arguably quicker and more efficient than doing so in person, in a lot of cases. They offer career services, I can't speak on that part too much yet because I'm not done with the program, but I have no doubt it will be of the same high quality just like everything else they offer.

• Nick • Graduate

I had the privilege of being a part of the last in-person Full Stack class at Covalence's Birmingham campus. My instructor, Paul, was an excellent teacher and was very patient with me when I struggled through some of the material. I came into this class with no coding experience at all except for the pre-work for the class. I will say that this made the class extremely difficult for me at times. I would encourage anyone interested in joining a coding bootcamp to start learning right then and there. It will do nothing but help you in the long run. There are tons of free courses online that can get you started. Even though the class was tough, I was able to persevere with help from my instructors and classmates and I can't believe how much we were able to learn in 10 weeks. It is nothing short of amazing how we went from struggling to use HTML to display words on a page to creating a full stack mobile app in such a short amount of time.

I can't comment too much on how much job assistance I will be receiving because I am really just beginning to search. However, so far I have no complaints at all. Kimberly is really nice, helpful, and is always posting potential job opportunities through the community channel on Discord. This online community is a great thing to be a part of in itself. People are always chatting on there and willing to help with side projects, work, etc.

Now that I have gotten all of the praise out of the way, I would like to explain why I gave 4 stars instead of 5. Our class was a little unfortunate to have our instructor find another job around week 7. This would have been totally fine but we never really got a full replacement for him. The last 3 weeks were dedicated to our final project and sometimes it felt like we were waiting around for help because the other instructors were too busy planning for the next class and such. They defintitely did still help us but it would have been nice to have had the dedicated instructor that we paid for. Luckily, our final project still turned out really good and I am happy with my experience overall. This is a great group of people and they seem really passionate about what they do!

• Justin Head • Graduate

My Experience:

I can honestly say that I entered Covalence with very little to no experience in Software Development. I had learned some HTML when I was a teenager, but not much more than your average kid with a myspace page. They give you some pre-course work to do before starting, but I committed to knocking it out very quickly in just a couple days. The first week started with the basics, HTML,CSS on Monday, CSS Frameworks on Tuesday, Wednesday we got to JavaScript and ran through JavaScript drills fast. I remember feeling very stressed at the speed during the first week. I stuck it out and after a difficult lab on the weekend I felt like I was getting the hang of it.

You will constantly learn new things which can feel overwhelming, but it works because you get to implement the stuff you have already learned throughout the way. The curriculum was certainly well thought out, and they continue to add and improve it. A typical day starts with a lecture on what you will be covering that day, then you usually have some exercises/drills to work on that allow you to get some practice, and then a lab of some sort to continue further with practice. Some days you may take the work home with you, but somedays you may finish before class ends. The instructor in class is available to help you when you get stuck, and you have access to the Covalence community with other students, alumni, and instructors that are always willing to help. Our class learned HTML, CSS, CSS Frameworks, JavaScript, JQuery, React, React-Native, Node, Express, MySQL, SCRUM/AGILE, and GIT(with some team branching techniques).

The class concluded after we completed a Final Group Project that is designed to duplicate what it would be like in a developer environment working with SCRUM and git branching. I think my entire group was proud and impressed about what we were able to do in our final project. I learned throughout the group project how to really research and teach myself to do something outside of the curriculum. In my situation this was how to schedule events on the server that would trigger at certain times of the day in Node. During the project I had certain things I wasn't very confident I could do, but by the end of it I realized I had learned more than I gave myself credit for.

After Covalence:

I have only been finished with Covalence for a couple weeks, but I feel really good about working within the tech stack we learned. I have even got some meetings scheduled where I may be developing some pretty cool IOS and Android Apps for some people looking to start businesses. I started trying to build relationships with potential employers and recruiters during the Final Project. I even had a CTO of a local Start up that had received over 6 mill in funding come and visit with me during the Final Project in case he had a Jr Developer role come open. I feel pretty confident that I will gain employment soon, and the instructors have done a good job in helping me understand roles and what to prepare before talking to someone. They have even helped me think through some logic on some individual / freelance projects.

Covalence plans to release more curriculum such as a C# .NET course and I look forward to adding that to my tech stack.

Advice for Prospective Students:

Try to learn some basic HTML, CSS, and JavaScript before going in. The pre-course work is enough, but take your time and retain it. You should expect it to be hard and a lot of work. You will find out that there is not only one way to do things, so don't stress about the instructions on assignments that much. If your like me you probably spent most of your life asking a teacher for assistance when you got stuck, but try and figure it out first. You WILL google for answers to problems or ways to accomplish different things, and that is completely okay and encouraged. If you get your work done before you go home then great, but what else can you work on when you get home? Adding to my assignments at home and going above and beyond the instructions was how I learned additional things and it was very noticeable by the time I got to the final project. I worked every night and every weekend and the course seemed to get easier, but I was just getting better. Remember that learning isn't done when the class ends at 5 no more than it is done when the course is finished.

• Jiovanni Rosario • Application Developer • Graduate

My Background

I spent 4 years automating control systems and working on the front end graphics for HVAC systems but I wanted to step away from HVAC and move more towards Web Development.

When I started looking into Web Development I went to YouTube and some other online resources but it was either too basic, lacked structure, or the content was not up to date. I was ready to throw in the towel and move forward in Buildings but then I discovered that Covalence was moving to Nashville and offered a Full Stack Bootcamp!!

What I learned

Covalence helped me gain confidence in my ability by creating an environment where I learned something new everyday and was held accountable to complete the labs. It was similar to my college experience but without all the extra General Ed classes to focus on. It was challenging and helped me acheive my goal.

I also learned and then helped coach students as an Intructor in the following subjects: HTML/CSS, Angular/React/React Native, Object Oriented Programming, NodeJS, Deployment, SCRUM methodology, Databases, REST API, and Version Control (Github).

Covalence is dedicated to updating their content. So you can be sure that you are learning the latest material needed to be successful. And if you notice anything that should be updated they are receptive to feedback.

Culture

The culture at Covalence is very inclusive and community focused. You're encouraged to ask questions but be prepared to work hard too because you will be challenged. The goal is that as you approach your final project you will still have questions but will also become more indepenent because you have gained confidence in your ability and learned how to read through documentation to find answers. Which is something you'll be doing often in a Developer role.

After Graduation

When you start applying you'll want to do a few things to have the best chance to landing an interview.

1. You worked with Covalence to have a clean resume that tells your story and why you are qualified.

2. You created a personal website/portfolio. (Recruiters love these)

3. You reviewed the basics and read the documentation for X. After 10 weeks you may be amazed to see what you can do but there is always more to learn and you might need to review some basics that were covered in week 1.

4. Understand that you will need to be aggresive in your job search. Job searching is never easy and rejection is going to happened. Its a part of the process. But you will find a match!

5. Ask questions and provide feedback as you run into challenges throughout your job search. Covalence is their to help!