codeworks-logo

Codeworks

Barcelona, Berlin, London, Online

Codeworks

Codeworks is an immersive coding bootcamp with campuses in several locations around the world. Students can attend Codeworks courses in-person or remotely. Programs include 8-week and 12-week, full-time, software engineering and full-stack web development courses. All programs cover HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Node, Express, SQL and NoSQL databases, Angular, and React, with the 12-week course also covering DevOps, continuous deployment and systems architecture.

The courses are divided into two sections: theory and advanced programming topics, then applied learning through building complete products. Codeworks aims to help students build complex apps and gain an advanced understanding of JavaScript. Graduates should be able to build entire applications and contribute to coding projects of any size.

Codeworks is tailored for people at any level with a three-part program process. To apply, candidates must first pass an admission challenge. Applicants with no previous coding experience are offered a remote intro course that covers programming fundamentals, basic JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and more. Once admitted into the program, students complete an 8-week, remote pre-course where covering intermediate programming topics like jQuery, Git, Developer tools, and intro to APIs. Once students pass the pre-course, they can start the main programming course.

All Codeworks programs include hiring events at the end of the course, including portfolio preparation and tech interview training. Finally, all graduates receive lifelong career support, and become part of an international network of alumni and partner companies.

Recent Codeworks Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (107) reviews for Codeworks →

Recent Codeworks News

Read all (7) articles about Codeworks →
  • Corporate training

LocationBarcelona, Online, London, Berlin
    Training programs for tech companies wanting to ramp up their development teams. We’ve designed intensive programs that can take place at your offices or at our campus. This focused training helps your development team master specific topics. Subjects include advanced JavaScript, Angular, React, and Node JS. Custom programs can be created according to your company’s needs.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

LocationBerlin, London, Barcelona, Online
    Our flagship course, and the most complete way to get your engineering career started. Throughout the 12 weeks you learn all the skills of a professional programmer and get to build 3 projects of growing complexity. The course includes 1 week of career orientation, interview training, and introduction to hiring partners. At the end of the program you’re able to make entire applications, and contribute to coding projects of any size. You will learn strong Software Engineering patterns, and understand how to work productively in team with other engineers. For more info, please check: https://codeworks.me/course-software-engineering-immersive-on-site/
    Deposit2000
    Pay a deposit to secure your place, and start to pay back the rest only once you get a satisfying job offer.
    Tuition PlansPay upfront, pay with a loan or pay when you get a job. Check details and availability on our website: https://codeworks.me/financing-options/
    ScholarshipScholarships offered periodically in collaboration with industry partners, check website for details.
    Minimum Skill LevelGood understanding of HTML and CSS, basic programming and JavaScript syntax.
    Prep Workhttps://codeworks.me/faq#interview
  • Web Development Immersive

LocationBerlin, London, Barcelona, Online
    This program gives you the preparation to become a solid web programmer. Throughout the 8 weeks you learn all the fundamentals of functional programming and get to build 1 personal project. The course includes 2 days of career orientation, interview training, and introduction to hiring partners. At the end of the program you’re able to build full-stack applications and understand advanced coding topics. This is our shortest course and the fastest way to get your developer career kickstarted. For more info, please check: https://codeworks.me/course-web-development-immersive-on-site/
    Deposit2000
    Prep Workhttps://codeworks.me/faq#interview
  • Leon  User Photo
    Leon • Full Stack Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Long story short: Codeworks was an amazing experience and I would definitely recommend it.

I'm pretty sure that if you're reading this, you have doubts about coding bootcamps and/or Codeworks. I was the same. I am a skeptical person. Before attending, I was afraid this would be a scam, even though it had all of these positive reviews. The concept of a coding bootcamp and of changing career in so little time felt alien. Attending would involve leaving my job, spending a lot of money and moving to another country. And while I knew I liked coding, I wasn't sure I'd like web development.

I went through the application process anyway, which I thought at first was quite easy. I visited the Codeworks campus while on vacation and I felt it was worth going ahead. So I got accepted in the program, contracted the necessary loan, and moved to Barcelona to do it.

Now I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend. It was an incredible experience. It lasts only three months but the personal growth makes it feel like it lasted much longer. The course ended three weeks ago and I already have an interesting job (which I can start as soon as I have the paperwork done).

Overall it was a lot of fun, it is pretty amazing what they create there in only three months! I think that Codeworks is one of the (or simple the) best coding bootcamp in Europe (can't be sure about other parts of the world as I didn't research it). Here are the reasons that prompt me to think so:

0. It is by far the most intensive. So you can immerse yourself in learning and concentrate in only doing that. This is something that was important to me and I feel it lived up to my expectations.
    1. It doesn't teach you just one stack, so you get the full picture of how things are working and you're not stuck in only one way of doing things.
    2. It makes you work on three projects that you choose. This is one thing that I was looking for: not just working on making a random clone of Airbnb or something else but actually working on stuff that I found really interesting and challenging. There is a lot of diversity in the projects and I think that's one of the strongest point of the course. It is also extremely helpful while looking for a job. The employers almost all went through my Github profiles and talked about my projects during interviews. (Check out my project Scenic Routes at scenicroutes.io)
    3. The teachers are incredible. They knew their stuff (and somehow when Arol explains something it just sticks). The course is also well structured and you continuously built on top of what you already learned. It's also constantly improved and updated with new technologies. Best practices are taught and that's a really important thing too. I also liked that it was mainly taught by doing/example. It makes you learn things fast and build a good foundation to learn more theory after the course ends.
    4. The students are incredible. They say it's because it is highly selective with around 2% acceptance rate and I tend to agree.
    5. The environment is incredible. Like, the space is perfect for doing something like this. There is a huge terrace to relax. Everything you need is on campus (including oranges to press your own orange juice!)
    6. The staff is incredible. Everyone was very welcoming and competent and they all obviously enjoy what they do. The staff is dedicated and every day-to-day problem is dealt with quickly so you don't have to worry about it.
    7. It is a small structure and that's good because that's where the strongest connections are made.
    8. The network you gain is also valuable. I think there are a bit over 100 alumni now and all of those I talked to were more than happy to give advice and recommendations.
    9. The support in the job search was really good too (see some more on that below).

Now, just a couple of points that may be important for future students:

Pre-course
    The pre-course is important: don't skip it and do it seriously. It provides you with the basis for understanding everything that follows. There is a noticeable difference of skill achieved between the people who did and those who didn't.

Commitment
    Another thing I'd like to stress: while CW provide you with an amazing learning environment, it can't do the learning for you. How much you will get out of the course is directly proportional to your commitment to it. Whatever my classmates starting level was, the ones who improved most were consistently those who worked hard and put the hours in.

Job guarantee
    There is no job guarantee per se, and I remember thinking that was a bad point before attending. However now it feels superfluous as graduates definitely have the capacity of finding a (coding) job.
    I applied to three companies, which were presented to me by Codeworks on the last week of the course. I received two offers, refused one because I didn't liked the company and accepted the other (after they raised their offer to a very fair starting salary for the city). As for the last company, I think we both understood that the role proposed wasn't what I was looking and that I wouldn't be the right fit. So no regrets here.
    I also received good support while job hunting. There is a dedicated CW employee for job placement who was available even after hours if the situation required it and gave me great advice (cheers Marc!)

10/10 would attend again.
    If needed you can reach out to me on LinkedIn.

• Olga  User Photo
    Olga • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I've recently finished Codeworks - it was a great experience and one of the best decisions in my life.

I learnt a lot about web development, had hands on experience  developing apps and just had so much fun.

The program is very intense, but it's very well structured so you don't get too overwhelmed. They teach you good practices, put focus on clean code and knowledge of basics.

All the staff are incredible: nice, helpful. Teachers are very knowledgable and are always happy to guide you. And then you also meet incredible people as your classmates and have great time together.

I got out of Codeworks much more than I expected. Attention to detail is impressive: they thought about everything and constantly strive to get even better.

What impressed me as well is the assistance in getting a job: they share they extensive experience and really prepare you for everything that might come up in the application/hiring process.

I loved the 3 months I spent at Codeworks and would recommend it as the bootcamp to go to :)

• Amazing experience
    - 10/31/2018
    Adrià  User Photo
    Adrià • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Fastest way to move deeply into JS world
  • Marco  User Photo
    Marco • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I joined the January batch in 2018 and immediately realized that it was going to be such an AMAZING experience. This by far the best bootcamp in Europe.

Here my considerations:
    - ENVIRONMENT: there are two big areas inside and a kitchen. Outside a wide garden shared with other companies where you can relax and meet other people.
    - THE PROGRAM: it keeps the pace going in depth into the last technologies. People claim the course takes place from 9am to 9pm. Actually it's not true, because sometime you will leave at 10pm and later! And you know what? When you go back home you don't wanna falling asleep, you can't wait to keep studying! I didn't think I could put such a huge amount of information in my mind in a short time and in a constructive way.
    - INSTRUCTORS/STAFF: strongly qualified, they definitely know what they are doing. They will take you out of your comfort zone, you will suffer for it and won't totally understand the huge benefits until you complete the course. I'd like give you a piece of advice: completely trust them!
    - CLASSMATES: their website announce the acceptance is highly selective. I thought: "it's just marketing". I admit I was definitely wrong. I met brilliant minds coming from Europe, USA, Brazil, Thailand, anyone with their own background, often significantly different from each other. That's why the environment is incredibly lively, challenging, inspirational, exciting, so much I had to learn how to manage my adrenaline during the first weeks. It was such a nice feeling, but.....I couldn't sleep! :)
    It was hard to say goodbye to each one as the relationship has grown to more than classmates, especially with someone of them. We preferred to say "see you later"!
    - JOB: you will implement three projects even useful to improve your CV. During the last week you will be prepared for the hiring day getting important tips about how to manage your job hunting after CW. Once you leave Codeworks you won't be alone: you will join the Codeworks X slack community with a job-hunting channel, then you keep in touch with a person from their staff until you will find a job. 100% of Codeworks alumni found a job: again, it's not marketing, it's true!

Personally I even found Codeworks really useful for improving my English (I came from good B2/poor C1 level), as everybody speaks very good and fluently.
    Lastly I would like to address over 30 people scared about applying Codeworks because of their age: I'm 44 and have a family, for sure companies don't select employees by age......be confident, your effort will definitely pay off and change your life.....at least......it literally changed mine for sure! Good luck!

• Very worthwhile
    - 4/13/2018
    Evan Hendrix  User Photo
    Evan Hendrix • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After only three months (4 if you count the precourse (which is very well done and didactic)) I feel very prepared to start work as a web developer. The course covers many of the theory one might learn in a CS curriculum and offers exposure to modern JS  frameworks and tools like React/Redux, Angular, Node, Express, Koa, Mongo, Mongoose, Monk, SQL, Webpack, and Git. There are others but these were the main ones. There was a surprisingly thorough emphasis on common (not exclusive to JS) programing patterns and idioms, which I appreciated. The course is lead by the two founders Arol and Alex who are both great people and good, knowledgeable instructors. While working on assignments and projects there were two to three former teaching assistants who were all former students. The TA's were generally very helpful as well.

The downsides for me were just that there were not more complete code reviews throughout the course. There were two. However I understand to do that would have required hiring another instructor.

The school is a nice open space with lots of light and super nice terrace for relaxing and having lunch. There was a relaxed, but focused atmosphere and my classmates were all bright people who were as motivated to learn as I was.

In summary I will say that I had hoped for an experience like this, but was pleasantly surprised to have found it with Codeworks.

• Leonardo Di Vittorio  User Photo
    Leonardo Di Vittorio • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I found out about Codeworks via the relations with my University. Coming here was the best thing I could ever do. I completed my knowledge about coding and now, just after 3 months, I'm able to create Wonderfull projects (some are deployed already!), and I feel ready to hit the job's world. The environment here is amazing, everybody is so motivated that push you so hard. I suggest Codeworks to everybody that really wants to start coding and have a career in this field.

P.S. Barcelona is the right place where to do this.

• Full Endorsement
    - 1/4/2018
    Chad Hamre  User Photo
    Chad Hamre • Founder Verified via GitHub
    Why I loved it it:

1. Barcelona is very cool city
    2. The program is JS based
    3. The program is not for total beginners
    4. The program is very intensive (pre-course and six 12hr days per week)
    5. The program was less expensive than some.
  • Isabella Chen  User Photo
    Isabella Chen • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

At Codeworks, you hit the ground running and accelarate all the way to the end. I began coding five months before Codeworks. Had I continued at my self-taught pace, it would probably take me another year before I could even think of applying for junior positions as a developer. After three months at Codeworks, I have the confidence to apply for jobs that list two + years experience as a requirement. But the best thing is that now I can develop my own apps. This is the most empowering thing. If I have an idea, I know I can make it a reality, how amazing is that?

The lecturers and teaching assistants at CW are excellent. Each have their own strenghs, and I learned and grew a lot as a developer by working beside each of them. This is something you cannot get by teaching yourself coding at home, alone. When you get stuck at Codeworks, you get to work with a pro and see how they think about your problem and how they help you come to the answer yourself. Eventually you begin to see patterns in how good programmers frame their problems and you learn how to frame your problems. This, I think, is the most important trait of a programmer, being able to ask the right question.

The lectures, excercises and live coding sessions are also excellent and very well thought out. Especially the excercises to teach algorithms and data structures. Implementing a hash table is a lot more fun than reading the Wikipedia article about hash tables. Believe it or not. In the junior part, we nailed how to set up a server in one week and front-end frameworks in two. The lecturs and excercises are designed so you get to see the big picture from the very start, unlike many other coding resources online which only show you techniques to achieve a desired effect. Here, you understand how all the pieces fit together so you can use all the tools in a very flexible way.

I look at the demos of other bootcamps, and I think the apps that are developed at codeworks have a larger variety in terms of what they do and the technology used. In my batch and the batch before me the apps worked on were 1. Facebook Events App 2. Slack Bot 3.Chrome extension with Google Maps 4.ECommerce with the Twitter API 5. File transfer on IPFS ... the variety is huge. Some other bootcamps have apps that are more or less some version of a website that does standard website things. I think this is because CW students are able to use the technology more flexibly because we actually learn development in a very deep way.

Its definitely the most rewarding experience of my life, and also extra stars for their effort to address the gender gap in tech.

• Jean-Marie Porchet  User Photo
    Jean-Marie Porchet • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Word of warning: if you want to join Codeworks because you want to sightsee Barcelona, look elsewhere.
    The intensity of this course is BRUTAL.
    Me and most fellow students thought that the "6 days per week, 12 hours per day" advertised on their website was probably marketing speak. Well we were in for a surprise!
    Not only did we follow this schedule, we also usually stayed longer (usually one hour more, sometimes several) and came on Sundays to make sure we finished the exercises and were ready for the weekly assessments.
    There is no "work/life balance" concept in Codeworks, your life has to become work otherwise you will fall behind.
    If like me you have a family and your spouse is not self-reliant, you're going to have a hard time.

But if your personality type is "whatever it takes" and you *do* dedicate yourself 100% to this course for 3 whole months, you will become a GREAT developer.

Most students didn't have a programming background before the precourse, but at the end of the bootcamp they can teach you about down-to-earth JavaScript concepts (redux stores, context, ...) as well as Computer Science concepts (data structures, algorithm complexity, database structures).

JavaScript has a bad rap because of the hordes of self-called "developers" (aka one-trick ponies).
    Brilliant JavaScript developers are hard to come by; brilliant developers that can teach are a lot rarer. But brilliant developers that can not only teach but also *mentor* (which is what you should be looking for when joining a bootcamp) are like unicorns. And you will find TWO of them in Codeworks.

I'm not too keen on relocating for a job because of my family, so I've looking for jobs in my area, even though it's quite small (french part of Switzerland). But before the end of the final week, one of the cofounders of the bootcamp had prepared a list of 10 job offers for me to apply.
    I finished less than a week ago, and I've already started interviewing for 3 positions (frontend and fullstack) less than 5km away from my place, and every day I've got new contact requests from recruiters on LinkedIn.
    It's also the first time I can look at a job offer and say "Yep, I actually match ALL of the requirements on that job offer" (and I'm 38 years old btw so I've seen more than a couple)

• Don  User Photo
    Don • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before applying to Codeworks I interviewed five different bootcamps. Yes, I interviewed them, five of them. When provided with my set list of questions Alessandro (co-founder and CEO) replied with all the right answers.

The experience I was looking for was to learn, work, and live as a Software Engineer/Developer. Codeworks delivered! I can now confidently say that I am a Software Developer.

• Daniel • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Codeworks was one of the hardest things I have done in my life, but it was so worth it! The course is great, the instructors are always there to help you when you get stuck, and the career support after you finish the course is amazing (Thanks Marc). During the 3 months I spent at Codeworks, I would have never thought beforehand that I would have learned so much in that time. The knowledge you gain is way ahead of what typical bootcamps provide, which will put you ahead of others when looking for jobs. Would definitely recommend it to anyone!
  • Alex Teodorescu • Software Engineer • Graduate
    I did the remote EST Software Engineering Immersive in April of 2021 and it was an incredible experience. I had very little development knowledge going into the program but found a job and started working as a full-stack software engineer in September of the same year. If you are looking for a path to start a new career in software development and are ready to commit then Codeworks will give you the skills to make it happen!

Codeworks Outcomes

$N/A

Of the students who enroll at Codeworks, 98% graduated. 67% of graduates were job-seeking and 100% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of . Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 40 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

We do not report median salary as our graduates find jobs in many different cities around the world, with different economies and costs of living. For this period out graduates secured salaries 24% above the average for Software Engineers in their location.

More information at codeworks.me/outcomes