codeworks-logo

Codeworks

Barcelona, Berlin, London, Online

Codeworks

Codeworks is an immersive coding bootcamp with campuses in several locations around the world. Students can attend Codeworks courses in-person or remotely. Programs include 8-week and 12-week, full-time, software engineering and full-stack web development courses. All programs cover HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Node, Express, SQL and NoSQL databases, Angular, and React, with the 12-week course also covering DevOps, continuous deployment and systems architecture.

The courses are divided into two sections: theory and advanced programming topics, then applied learning through building complete products. Codeworks aims to help students build complex apps and gain an advanced understanding of JavaScript. Graduates should be able to build entire applications and contribute to coding projects of any size.

Codeworks is tailored for people at any level with a three-part program process. To apply, candidates must first pass an admission challenge. Applicants with no previous coding experience are offered a remote intro course that covers programming fundamentals, basic JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and more. Once admitted into the program, students complete an 8-week, remote pre-course where covering intermediate programming topics like jQuery, Git, Developer tools, and intro to APIs. Once students pass the pre-course, they can start the main programming course.

All Codeworks programs include hiring events at the end of the course, including portfolio preparation and tech interview training. Finally, all graduates receive lifelong career support, and become part of an international network of alumni and partner companies.

Recent Codeworks Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (99) reviews for Codeworks →

Recent Codeworks News

Read all (7) articles about Codeworks →
  • Corporate training

LocationBerlin, London, Online, Barcelona
    Training programs for tech companies wanting to ramp up their development teams. We’ve designed intensive programs that can take place at your offices or at our campus. This focused training helps your development team master specific topics. Subjects include advanced JavaScript, Angular, React, and Node JS. Custom programs can be created according to your company’s needs.
  • Software Engineering Immersive

LocationOnline, Berlin, London, Barcelona
    Our flagship course, and the most complete way to get your engineering career started. Throughout the 12 weeks you learn all the skills of a professional programmer and get to build 3 projects of growing complexity. The course includes 1 week of career orientation, interview training, and introduction to hiring partners. At the end of the program you’re able to make entire applications, and contribute to coding projects of any size. You will learn strong Software Engineering patterns, and understand how to work productively in team with other engineers. For more info, please check: https://codeworks.me/course-software-engineering-immersive-on-site/
    Deposit2000
    Pay a deposit to secure your place, and start to pay back the rest only once you get a satisfying job offer.
    Tuition PlansPay upfront, pay with a loan or pay when you get a job. Check details and availability on our website: https://codeworks.me/financing-options/
    ScholarshipScholarships offered periodically in collaboration with industry partners, check website for details.
    Minimum Skill LevelGood understanding of HTML and CSS, basic programming and JavaScript syntax.
    Prep Workhttps://codeworks.me/faq#interview
  • Web Development Immersive

LocationOnline, Berlin, London, Barcelona
    This program gives you the preparation to become a solid web programmer. Throughout the 8 weeks you learn all the fundamentals of functional programming and get to build 1 personal project. The course includes 2 days of career orientation, interview training, and introduction to hiring partners. At the end of the program you’re able to build full-stack applications and understand advanced coding topics. This is our shortest course and the fastest way to get your developer career kickstarted. For more info, please check: https://codeworks.me/course-web-development-immersive-on-site/
    Deposit2000
    Prep Workhttps://codeworks.me/faq#interview
  • Aric Jiang  User Photo
    Aric Jiang • Full-time Full-stack Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Before I made my decision to apply for enrollment at Codeworks, I was a bit skeptical. My family was even more skeptical. But after I spoke with an old family friend who is the Vice President of the tech department at a very large corporation, he offered to review the course curriculum. After his review, he gave me his approval along with some caveats. And so my parents and I decided to go for it. I borrowed some money from a friend and my parents took some money out of their life savings to cover the tuition costs. Even though I had my doubts in the success rates at Codeworks, I knew that if I worked hard enough and I made it through this course, I would have a very good chance at landing an actual junior position as a software engineer. Their curriculum is solid and it gives you a great foundation to build on. After graduating from this course I applied for an internship at ironforge and I landed my first full-time position as a developer in just less than four weeks after the completion of the course. The course was not easy. There were moments where I felt like I was not cut out for this. But I didn’t give up and the instructors and tutors were always there to encourage and support you when your struggling. I learned so much in just a short amount of time and I’m very glad that I joined Codeworks. It was well worth the money and time. The instructors are very knowledgeable and they have a lot of hands on experience. If your wondering if Codeworks is the right choice for you, I would say that you have a lot of choices but if you really want to be ready to start your career after the course as a junior software engineer then you should go for it. If you have any questions you can find me on LinkedIn! And I’d be more than happy to share my experience!
  • Mihael Machado de Souza  User Photo
    Mihael Machado de Souza • Full-stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    You feel stuck in your current position or that your job is unrewarding. You always had an affinity to tech and want to make it onto the field but don't have the financial resources or time to go through a CS degree. Well, Codeworks might just be what you're looking for.

Now, don't get me wrong, Codeworks is no magic bullet. What they'll provide you, above all else, is a great environment filled with like-minded people who are committed to making the same change you are. That is the energy you will feed on and that will drive you to put in the work and the overtime, and do it happily. On top of that, you will have access to a well-structured curriculum focused on current market technologies and a team of very knowledgeable and helpful instructors and support staff whose goal is to help you succeed.

It is NOT and easy program, it's not meant to be. The first half will be spent giving you a bit of foundational CS knowledge, before moving on to backend and frontend technologies and databases. These will form the basis of your experience, always with a practical, hands-on coding perspective. The second half will be focused on building projects and putting those topics you've learned into action. Now, this second part is as much about coding as it is about cooperating with others in achieving a common goal. Building a strong product in a team means that everyone is doing their part and no one is getting left behind or overwhelmed, and communication and realistic goal-setting will be what gets you and the team over the finish line successfully.

When all is said and done, you'll find that in a relatively short time period you have a great basis for a software developer role, have products under your belt you can show off, and have learned how to approach tech problems in a methodical way. At that point, you'll be well on your way into making into the field and Codeworks will still be there to support you until you do (which might just be faster than you even expected!), and then after if you so desire.
  • James Chamberlain  User Photo
    James Chamberlain • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I signed up for Codeworks' Software Engineering Immersive course after deciding to switch careers. Doing so was one of the best decisions of my life. Within three weeks of finishing the course I secured my first role as a developer.

After deciding that I'd apply to study with Codeworks, I was fortunate enough to be able to spend three months preparing for the course full-time. If you have other responsibilities, you should perhaps plan to give yourself at least 6 months to complete the application process and pre-course materials. The admissions team are all really friendly and can help advise based on your personal situation.

The course itself is split into two six week sections, with a short break in-between. The first half of the course consists of daily exercises and coding challenges and are supported by short lectures, code reviews, and study materials. A typical day starts with a code challenge and then dives straight into lectures and a Q&A session. You'll spend most of the day coding alongside a partner to solve a tough exercise and at the end of the day review a solution with an instructor. During my cohort they were experimenting with delivering lectures via pre-recorded video. Whilst video lectures are a good idea, this first iteration wasn't great. That said, you soon come to see that the lectures are a tiny part of the learning experience.

Codeworks' teaching philosophy follows the firehose method. You will be exposed to so many ideas and new technologies so quickly at times it will feel extremely overwhelming. All I can say is put your trust in the methodology and in your instructors. Get comfortable with feeling out of your depth and confused - that's partially the point! You're being trained to encounter difficult concepts and seek out the information you need in order to understand and apply them. Weekly assessments will help you identify areas that you need to work on, and guidance is only ever a help request away. All of the instructors were extremely friendly and were fantastic at helping you find answers and process difficult concepts.

Following the first six weeks, you'll have a week off. During this break, you'll likely spend the first half sleeping and the second half preparing for your first senior project. The second half of the course consists of three projects. With these you'll have the opportunity to build an app from scratch all by yourself, to review, test, and improve someone else's project in a pair, and finally to work in a team to deliver a more ambitious application. I would fully recommend doing the entire 12 week course as every project teaches you something slightly different. I found this invaluable when talking about my experience in job interviews.

In the final week you'll start preparing for your job hunt. Once the course ends you'll want to keep up this momentum and start applying. I'd recommend that you plan to make time for the job hunt - keep a month free after the course ends. My job hunt ended up being almost as intense as the course. There's a careers advisor on hand to help provide advice and motivation during this phase.

I originally felt nervous about signing up for a bootcamp. Even with Codeworks' competitive pricing, it was still the largest sum of money I've ever spent. Following an unpredictable year of freelance work, I couldn't afford for this course not to result in a job. I can now confidently say that all that nervousness was unnecessary. Codeworks prepares you extremely well for the current job market, though you get as much out of the course as you put in.

If you are both willing and able to push yourself harder than you ever have done before, can afford to commit to a challenging and exhausting few months, and bring plenty of enthusiasm and positivity I can't recommend it enough. It's tough but it's worth it. If you're completely new to coding and unsure whether it's for you, I'd recommend trying out Harvard's free CS50x course - it'll put you in a good place to start your Codeworks application!
  • Gabor  User Photo
    Gabor • Verified via LinkedIn
    1. Getting in is more difficult than other bootcamps - the application process is similar to interviewing for a company. Codeworks have a great selection process, including the pre-course, where you can prove to yourself that you’re willing to put in the time and effort: if you put the 20 in they take you to 100!

2. Syllabus is well-rounded, comprehensive, and up to date - No, Codeworks won’t teach you everything you would learn in a 3 year CS degree, but it gives you a very good practical insight into a range of technologies and concepts across the stack and you walk out with a much better understanding of development in its entirety. Maybe JavaScript isn’t the fanciest programming language out there but the end goal of the course isn’t mastering JS, it’s just a tool to learn more about software development and for that, it’s perfect as there’s a vast amount of libraries and resources that support JS.

3. Bang for your bucks - Yes the course is intense and 6 days a week, 10+hrs/day sounds scary but once you're in it you wish you had another 3 hours to do more coding every day.
    The support from TA’s and tutors is overwhelming, everyone is super friendly and there to answer your questions. The portfolio projects are, again a reflection of the effort you put in it, check out the Codeworks Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/Codeworks) there’s some mind-blowing projects that students created in 1-2 weeks.

4. The Codeworks outcomes data is real, thanks to outstanding career support! - Looking for a job as a bootcamp grad can be a dreadful experience at times but thankfully CW puts a real emphasis on this part which makes the process so much easier and less painful. Getting a job is a job itself, so you get a 1 to 1 meeting weekly with their Outcomes Lead who’s got a wealth of experience in hiring and always went the extra mile to help me at every step of the way.

• Worth it
    - 6/15/2021
    Christian Schmutte  User Photo
    Christian Schmutte • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    After a long research I finally decided join CodeWorks, as in joining at all, then which bootcamp and was very pleased. Two weeks after graduating I received an offer from a well-known company.
    As for my background I started learning to code in 2018 in my free time. Despite my prior experience it still was a very challenging, eye-opening and rewarding experience and I learned a lot.
    Being self-taught I faced major issues hurting my success landing a:
    - lack of clarity what you need to know,
    - working in a team (big one)
    - foundational software engineering skills (think beyond web-dev plus escaping tutorial-hell)
    - career support
    I was able to get over all of them, it gave me a lot of clarity, passion and confidence on what's important to work in this industry. The technical knowledge (which is top notch) is only part of the puzzle here. You'll not only learn but embody foundational software engineering skills. It's designed to be challenging, so don't expect to just 'download the knowledge' into your head. It's hard and that's a good thing. You'll receive top-notch support from instructors, career-support team and your peers, that help you grow in the long run.
  • Shaun Martin  User Photo
    Shaun Martin • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I was a student at Codeworks between January and April 2021 at the Berlin Campus. I took the full 12-week Software Engineering course.

I would highly recommend Codeworks to anybody who is interested in becoming a Developer. I signed up for the course as I was looking to start a career as a Developer and was impressed by the reviews I saw online.

I can honestly say that it really did live up to what I was hoping for. 6 weeks after the course finished, I had multiple job offers from different companies in Berlin for Developer roles. I am now working as a Full Stack Developer with a great company and a great salary.

The course is very fast paced and you definitely need to get yourself a bit of experience with coding and a general idea of what being a Developer entails. It is 12 hours a day for 6 days a week so you have to accept that you will not have any sort of social life for 3 months. You also very much get out of it what you put in, so you need to really concentrate and push yourself to learn new things very quickly.

Some pros and cons of Codeworks...

Pros:
    - The campus in Berlin is really nice with great facilities
    - The team in Berlin and the wider company are super friendly and helpful
    - The content and tech stack is very relevant in regards to what company and employers are using
    - Once you finish, you receive lifetime career support and guidance which is really helpful

Cons:
    - It is expensive
    - The lectures are not given face-to-face, they are pre-recorded videos with Q&A sessions afterwards

I would say that the pros definitely outweigh the cons, and if you are serious about becoming a Developer then it is a really great option. It's probably one of the smartest things I have ever done!
  • Codewroks Review
    - 5/28/2021
    Jérôme Haas  User Photo
    Jérôme Haas • Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    It’s been three months since I completed Codeworks - herewith I would like to share my experience with Codeworks.

TLDR:
    - I was a self-taught front-end developer.
    - I choose  the Codeworks bootcamp because I wanted to take it to the next level for my career.
    - I learned a lot just from the course preparation during the application process.
    - Codeworks provides a great environment to really learn a lot in a short period of time.
    - I was able to get a job quickly after the Codeworks bootcamp.

What I did before Codeworks:
    I was a self-taught front-end developer with two years of working expirience.

Why I chose Codeworks:
    I thought about two ways to develop my career as a web developer:
    - Study CS at an university
    - Attend a coding bootcamp
    Going to university seemed like the safest way to become a professional. However it would be very time consuming and a big financial investment, I thought. On the other hand, coding bootcamps seemed to be very short, intensive and affordable. But I didn’t know what output I could expect from a coding bootcamp and if employers in Switzerland would accept such a certificate from a coding bootcamp.
    However, I decided to attend a coding bootcamp because it seemed to be the most pragmatic way and I liked the hands-on approach that coding bootcamps tend to use.
    I decided to apply for the Codeworks bootcamp because it seemed to be the most intensive yet rewarding bootcamp and the curriculum seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.

About the coding bootcamp:
    The three months were split into two parts. In the first part, we were taught advanced JavaScript, algorithms, data structures, advanced CSS, databases, backend frameworks, frontend frameworks and other topics in sprints. Usually we had classes in the morning, time to practice and build something with the new knowledge in the afternoon and in the evening we reviewed our work with an instructor. The pace of these sprints was fast and very intense. Each week started with an exercise where we had to apply the knowledge from the previous week to make sure we understood the concepts. All along, we had instructors by our side to answer all our questions and they guided us through our journey at Codeworks.
    Overall, the first part was very challenging for me and took all of my attention. However, with seven days a week and over twelve hours a day just learning about these technologies, I was able to keep up with the course.  The result was highly rewarding and I was stunned that after only seven weeks everything we had learned so far started to fall in place and everything made sense - so we were able to develop a working fullstack application in less than four hours.
    In the second part, we were able to use our new skills to start developing applications. For the first project, we were free to develop something which we could freely choose and we had one week  of time to develop it. For the second project, we had to work in a team of two to choose a project from a fellow student and implement tests to this project to become comfortable with legacy code. The third project was a group project where we had to develop (in our case in a team of six) with an idea we came up with ourselves.
    For all three projects, we again had professional support from our instructors, who helped us with obstacles and made sure we wrote clean code and followed best practices.
    In the last week, Codeworks prepared us for the job search. We practiced technical interviews, wrote resumes, and most of us started applying for jobs.

Outcome:
    In the last week of the Codeworks bootcamp, I got an offer for a one-month freelance project where I could use the technologies I had just learned. After that month, I started applying for jobs in Switzerland. After one month of intensive work, I get three offers, from which I choose one that I am very happy with at the moment I write this review.

Summary:
    I highly recommend Codeworks to anyone who wants to grow as a developer and is passionate about code.

• Codeworks Review
    - 5/27/2021
    Cristobal  User Photo
    Cristobal • Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    TLDR: Codeworks is 100% worth it if you are willing to put in the effort. It is as intense as they say as you will be coding for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. The curriculum is very well structured and goes over a massive amount of topics. By the end of the course, you will be versed both in the frontend as in the backend. One small piece of advice, though, before doing a bootcamp, make sure you want to transition into tech since a bootcamp, especially Codeworks, is not meant to get a taste - it is the full experience.

PROS:
    - Sticks to their promise of helping you find a job. The job support is excellent, and Marc will guide you through the interviewing process and advise you until you find your tech job.
    - Great instructors, classmates, and learning environment.
    - The curriculum has a focus on modern technologies that are most in-demand.
    - Goes over topics that aren't covered at many bootcamps like data structures, algorithms, dev-ops, and more.
    - Very intense, and the curriculum is well thought out, so you don't burn out.

CONS:
    - Time went by way too fast
    - Some topics I wanted to dig deeper into were taught over a day since the focus is on horizontal learning rather than vertical.

So, the long story now. Codeworks is a place filled with amazing people. Quite diverse also. Here you will find people who previously worked in hospitality, tech, education, marketing, management, you name it. There are also people from a computer science background who want to gain experience working with the latest web technologies. This is one of the things that makes the Codeworks experience so enriching.

As for myself, I was transitioning into tech for some time and decided I needed to polish some of my skills, mainly the backend. This was when I decided to do a bootcamp. When choosing the bootcamp, my main criteria was:

1. A place that took you from 40 to 80 and not from 0 to 40. This is quite important since I am convinced that you can take the first steps into programming using online resources. Most bootcamps didn't meet this criterion out of the bat since they dedicated a substantial part of their curriculum to elementary topics. Don't get me wrong, here you will go deep into the fundamentals, but it will make a massive difference if you have some programming experience.
    2. A place where you have an admissions process since a big part of the experience depends on who your fellow students are. This is a big thing to look out for in bootcamps, and during my research, I found that Codeworks has one of the most rigorous admissions/pre-course.
    3. A full stack oriented curriculum with a hands-on and team-oriented approach. Here you will work on 3 big projects which 2 of them are with a team. Also, during the first half of the course, you will be doing paired programming exercises for the better part of the day every day.
    4. A good location, but this is more subjective, so I won't go into detail.

Overall, Codeworks was the only bootcamp in Europe that met all criteria, and although it is one of the more expensive options, the outcome more than compensates for this fact.

If you are finally convinced to join Codeworks, my best advice is to make the most out of your time is to come prepared. Don't just brush over the pre-course, which in itself is already a bootcamp of its own. And if you are not entirely convinced yet, just reach out to the alumni so they can tell you about their own experience and outcome.
  • Amazing experience
    - 5/23/2021
    Djordje  User Photo
    Djordje • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Hi everyone, my name is Djordje and I was a Codeworks remote student in the begining of 2021.
    Before the bootcamp I was a flight attended, and I was a bit skeptical that in 3 month you can learn that much, even without any coding background. But, I was wrong. Pre-course and the course prepare you, and teach you so much, that now in my job I have more or less the same knowledge as the people who are working for a year.  It is really intense bootcamp where you won't be able to do anything else, but code, for 12 weeks. You will read, study, write and dream code. You will be coding for 6 days a week, and 12  hours per day and you need to be ready for  this both physically and mentally. Even the aplication process and pre-course are really demanding in a way that you will need to make a small game before the bootcamp. The teachers are excellent, always trying to give you the best answers and solutions. Even if sometimes seems that you are stuck, and some things are super confusing, the curriculum is made in that way, that in the end everything makes sense. By the end of 3 month, you will be prepared to search for a job with 3 real-life projects in your CV.
    I was able to find a job in less than a month after finishing the bootcamp and without any pre-knowledge in the field. I am really satisfied  with the knowledge and support I got. All recommendations! 10/10
  • Caroline  User Photo
    Caroline • Frontend developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Codework is the best decision I have made. I was looking for a change of career and was looking for an intense and challenging Bootcamp to learn everything there is know to become a web developer. I liked the fact that there was a pre-course to ensure that everyone had the same basic JS knowledge before actually starting the course. The curriculum is really well planned and takes into account the latest changes in the industry. Classes are qualitative, and there are a lot of practical exercises and "real life" experiences. On top of that, the support from the teachers is amazing. The Bootcamp is crazy intense but doable if you are really motivated, and definitely worth it in my opinion!
  • Alexandra Donchenko  User Photo
    Alexandra Donchenko • Software engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I finally decided that I wanted to attend a Bootcamp, I researched reviews like you do right now. I could not believe that something that does have 5 starts reviews everywhere is not a scam. But I took a “leap of faith” and decided to go with Codeworks.

The admission process already showed me why they have a high success rate, it was a challenge but doable one.

After I passed the admission process, it was time to start pre-course. Pre-course was no joke either. Again, it was a challenge but there are weekly support sessions to get you unstuck.

The course itself was exactly as described, intensive. They are serious when they say 12 hours a day, but most of us also spent Sundays reviewing and getting ready for weekly assessments. During the Junior part, you will focus more on learning new concepts and technologies. During the Senior part, you put it into work by building projects.
    Last week is focused on getting you ready for the job hunt.

Barcelona campus is beautiful, spacious, and safe during times of pandemic.
    Instructors, TA’s and admission team are friendly and dedicated to making you succeed.

About my outcome: As my background is in nursing I was not sure if I would fit, manage, or get hired. Codeworks gave me the tools and support necessary to succeed and 5 weeks after graduation I was offered a position of Software engineer in the company of my dreams.
  • Pierre Lejay  User Photo
    Pierre Lejay • Frontend Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I chose Codeworks because it was the most intense and hardest to join of all the bootcamps I could find. As expected, this led to a high level of motivation and skill in my fellow students, which is the best environment to learn in my opinion.

Pros:
    - Well-designed curriculum. By the end, you will know what you need to know to get a job and keep learning by yourself
    - Learn by doing. Most of the time is spent learning through exercises while pairing with another student, with help available to get you unstuck while needed. Closest thing you can get to individual tuition
    - Decent job search support. They won't put you in contact with companies directly, but you don't need it. They will teach you the best way to sell yourself and provide ongoing guidance as needed. I found a job within 5 weeks and that was actually slower than the average.

Cons:
    - Intense. Make sure that you have the energy and environment required to follow through
    - Takes longer to get into than most bootcamps. Past the admission process, the pre-course work can take up to 160h to do properly (assuming limited prior knowledge). Don't rush it or you will struggle at the start.
    - Javascript only. Does one thing and does it well. That may be a con to some but was a pro for me: learning the language is actually a fairly small part of it. The main value comes in learning the Javascript ecosystem and tools, which you will need to land a front end or full stack job. You will learn programming concepts either way, but how many jobs out there require Ruby ?

Codeworks Outcomes

$N/A

Of the students who enroll at Codeworks, 98% graduated. 67% of graduates were job-seeking and 100% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of . Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 40 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance

We do not report median salary as our graduates find jobs in many different cities around the world, with different economies and costs of living. For this period out graduates secured salaries 24% above the average for Software Engineers in their location.

More information at codeworks.me/outcomes