unc-charlotte-boot-camps-logo

UNC Charlotte Boot Camps

Charlotte

UNC Charlotte Boot Camps

UNC Charlotte Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time courses in web development, and 24-week, part-time courses in data analytics, cybersecurity, and financial technology (FinTech). The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The fintech curriculum covers Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

UNC Charlotte Boot Camps are designed for professionals and students who are actively pursuing a career change or advancement or are looking to gain a new skill set.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, mock interviews, and more. Graduates receive a Certificate of Completion from UNC Charlotte Continuing Education, completing the web development, data analytics, and FinTech programs with a portfolio of projects to demonstrate their working knowledge, or gaining skills applicable to industry certifications in our cybersecurity program.

UNC Charlotte Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UNC Charlotte Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.71

all (39) reviews for UNC Charlotte Boot Camps →

Recent UNC Charlotte Boot Camps News

Read all (3) articles about UNC Charlotte Boot Camps →
  • Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationCharlotte
    The Cybersecurity Boot Camp at UNC Charlotte is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
    Tuition PlansPayment plan available
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationCharlotte
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Python, Machine Learning, Excel, Blockchain, Algorithms
    LocationCharlotte
    Get hands-on training and instruction in financial technology and analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your current schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, and gain access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

CSS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, MongoDB, MySQL, Node.js, Git, React.js
    LocationCharlotte
    The Coding Boot Camp at UNC Charlotte is a 12-week, full-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

HTML, jQuery, Node.js, MongoDB, CSS, JavaScript, MySQL, Git, React.js
    LocationCharlotte
    The Coding Boot Camp at UNC Charlotte is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.

2 Scholarships

• $500 UNC Charlotte Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive UNC Charlotte Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Charlotte)
  • $500 UNC Charlotte Boot Camps Scholarship

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Charlotte)
    • Financial Technology - Part-Time (Charlotte)
  • Donnie
    - 1/26/2019
    Donnie  User Photo
    Donnie • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I recently graduated from the UNCC Full Stack Program and had no real web development experience prior to beginning the program. I decided to attend the UNCC Coding Bootcamp at the recommendation on one of my co-workers at the financial company we worked for. I started working with him toward the end of his program and personally watched how he was able to finish the boot camp and turn that into a job offer with a local financial company as a QA Engineer testing their platform all with no prior experience with development. This proved the effectiveness of the program and from that point, I was convinced to start the same program in the next cohort.

This program while very rewarding is difficult. It is intensive and will require an extremely large investment of your time but once finished you will have learned or been exposed to the full spectrum of tools necessary to be a full stack developer. This program moves extremely fast also and you must dedicate time to develop your craft even after you graduate (Even after graduating I am working just as hard if not harder on learning other tools and reinforcing what I learned in the boot camp) Always Be Coding should be your mantra. The boot camp does not guarantee you a job once finished but if you go through the process of not only learning the technical aspects but also developing your portfolio and following the steps advised by career services you will put yourself in a position to gain employment.

The instructors have over 50 years of real-world experience in the industry and know their stuff. They are always available and truly want you to succeed and find employment after the program is over.

I am currently freelancing and hope to land a permanent position soon and will tell you that I have multiple degrees including an MBA and will say that this program is the best decision I have ever made. What you learn you can apply immediately and will be the best decision you could make for your future as well.

Monday, Jan 28 2019
    Amazing, Donnie! You're completely right that this program is difficult but completely rewarding. We're glad you enjoyed your instructors and continue to work on advancing your web development skills. Congratulations on graduating! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Annalisa  User Photo
    Annalisa • Junior Programmer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I signed up for the full time UNCC Coding Bootcamp because I was looking to start a new career quickly. It is a very fast-paced course, which was perfect for my career goals, but was a struggle at times as you would barely have time to learn a concept before moving onto something new. The instructor, Jeff Hoffman, was amazing. He answered all my questions in great depth, and put in time before and after class to help his students with their homework, on top of making sure he was prepared for each and every lesson.

I would advise anyone interested in this course to be aware that taking it does not guarantee you a job. While developers might be in high demand, there are a lot of junior developers out there. Be prepared after this course to continue learning and developing on your own, improving your skills before you find someone willing to hire you.

Tuesday, Jul 03 2018
    Thank you so much for your review, Annalisa! We are happy you chose our program to start a new career. This is a fast-paced program that requires students to put in extensive time and effort to master the course material in a short amount of time, so we commend all the hard work you dedicated. We are thrilled your instructor was always prepared and knowledgeable - we also think Jeff is amazing!

You are completely right that our career services are built on the principle of empowerment, and we do not secure direct employment for students. We strive to prepare and coach students as they work to find the job that's right for them through individualized support, technical interview training, portfolio reviews, resume/social media profile support, and more. As you noted, it's important for students to continue learning and developing their skills, even after graduating from the course, in order to reinforce their career search. We truly appreciate your feedback as we are constantly refining our services to best help students prepare as they step out into the job market. Congratulations on graduating and we wish you great success going forward!
  • Tyler Olli  User Photo
    Tyler Olli • Full Stack Developer • Applicant Verified via LinkedIn

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at UNC Charlotte's Full Stack Coding Boot Camp, I was actually the first class to graduate from the program. I was working full time, and taking the course at night, so I did have some difficulty getting all of the homework and assignments done. Please be aware this is a VERY INTENSIVE COURSE. You truly get out what you put into it. That being said. you definitely learn a lot in a short amount of time, the MERN Stack (MongoDB, Express, React, and Node) is something that I see a lot of employers here in Charlotte looking for (Angular is also another framework that is highly sought after). In terms of jobs, honestly, you will most likely have a lot of difficulties finding one. I myself struggled to try to find a new job after graduation (originally was an entry-level web developer trying to transition into a Jr. - Mid Level position) and ended up starting my own company, Bright Digital Solutions

Overall I would highly recommend this boot camp for anyone who is looking to take their coding to the next level and land a better job. Just know you REALLY have to apply yourself. You will essentially have no life for 6 months, spend each and every waking hour coding, but you will learn to love what you do and will have a very fulfilling career afterward. This program does not guarantee you a job by any means, but if you continue to improve your portfolio, work on as many side projects as possible, and constantly commit code to your Github account, you will be alright. The creator of this boot camp gave us some wise words of wisdom upon graduation, and I hope I am not out of line by saying this here. Make sure to follow your ABC's - always be coding. There should never be a day go by where you are not writing at least one line of code.

I wanted to give a shout out to my instructors, Kevin Fauth and Terra Taylor, as well as Steve CaChat. I wouldn't be at the place I am at now, both in my career path and coding skills, without you guys. To anyone reading this, please feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn if you have any questions about the boot camp!

Friday, Jun 22 2018
    Way to go, Tyler! We are thrilled you had such a positive experience learning valuable web development skills. We know it takes serious commitment to balance a full-time job with such an intensive program, so we commend for all the hard work you dedicated to this rigorous course. It is very true that you only get out what you put in, and individuals will have to seriously apply themselves to mastering the course material. It's great to hear you felt supported and encouraged by our entire team - we are all passionate about student success!

You are absolutely right that the job search can be strenuous, and requires hours of commitment on behalf of students. Like you mentioned, while we do not secure direct employment for our students, we strive to equip, coach, and guide students as they work to find the role that's right for them. We have to agree that if you continue to improve your portfolio, work on side projects, and frequently commit to your GitHub account, you can be successful! This is great advice. Congratulations on graduating and starting your own company. We are cheering you on as you go forward!
  • Erin  User Photo
    Erin • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This full stack web development course was great!!! I was looking for a career change, and I looked into this program. It had great reviews. I spoke with the rep and did the screening interview and assessment, was approved to apply, and before I knew it I was starting class. I had ZERO prior knowlege of coding or computers in general. And 6 months later, here I am eligable for hundreds of great dev jobs in the city. Kevin and Darin were amazing instructors. I honestly couldn't have gotten better. Their intellegence and level of experience is off the charts.

As for the TAs, they were the cream of the crop. All of them graduates from the program so they KNOW what we go through, how to help, and what works. They were all available before and after every class and always available on the Slack channel. They really do care, want you to succeed and go above and beyond to help you get it. Be sure to let them, and the instructors that they are appreciated, they all work so hard.

All in all, it was one of, if not the best choices I've ever made. I've only been out 2 weeks, and am getting ready to being the job hunt. Some fellow classmates had jobs before the course was even over. I did thte part-time program being that I work full time. Those 6 months flew by! My only advice is time management. We are all busy, but make time for class, homework, reviewing class lectures, redoing activities.

I won't lie, it is A LOT OF INFORMATION that you cover in 6 short months. THere are times when you will want to give up, want to brush off an assigment, but don't. I promise it's with sacrifice and time. It's hard. It is a HUGE commitment, and your dedication is the only way to succeed. You get out of it what you put into it. So make the effort, you will thank yourself.

The career services has just changed leadership, as of today  as I'm writing this review, so as of now my review of them is not flattering. At all. It has been a joke to say the least. Just networking through class has yielded more results. BUT, hopefully the new leadership will make the very much needed changes and improve the services for the next cohort, and for our cohort from here on out.

Wednesday, Jun 20 2018
    Thank you for your review, Erin! We’re happy to hear you had such a positive experience learning valuable coding skills through our program. Our instructors and TAs are truly passionate about enabling student success, so it's great to know you always felt supported and properly guided - we also think Kevin and Darin are amazing! We know it takes real commitment to balance a career with an intensive paced course like this one, so we commend you for all you were able to accomplish throughout your journey.

We regret our career services has not met your expectations so far. While we do not secure employment for students, we strive to provide individualized support through technical interview training, portfolio reviews, resume/social media profile support, and more.  We do take student feedback like yours seriously and are constantly refining our career services to best help students prepare for the job search. We look forward to working with you post-graduation to provide you with the career support you need to feel equipped for the job search and appreciate your patience during the transition in leadership.

We applaud you for all the hard work and dedication you invested in learning the course material, as well as starting your job search! It is our goal for all students to leave the program feeling prepared with the proper assistance and resources to find the right tech role for them. If there is any other way in which we can support you at this time, please reach out to me at (704) 601-6030. Congratulations on graduating and best of luck as you move forward in your endeavors!
  • Awesome Experience
    - 5/23/2018
    Stephen Chapman  User Photo
    Stephen Chapman • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I enrolled in the Full-Time (12-week), Full Stack Flex Web Development bootcamp in October 2017 and finished in February 2018.

There wasn't a whole lot of information available about this bootcamp but I decided to take the plunge anyway --  I was really hungry for a life change.

Overall it was a great life changing experience.  My instructor, Jeff, was a fantastic teacher and a really fun guy.  The TAs in my class were super helpful and available.

I highly recommend the full-time bootcamp if you can swing it.  You can totally immerse yourself with 30 other students all trying to accomplish the same thing ... a life and career change.  The energy and anticipation in the room is really great.

One of the cool things about my experience is that I not only rekindled a love for coding that I had in high school, but I also found that I like teaching code almost as much as I like writing code.  Realizing this, I jumped at an opportunity to become a Teacher Assistant for the bootcamp part-time ... something I wouldn't have imagined I'd be doing a year ago sitting in my cubicle as an engineer.  I now not only have new coding knowledge, but a lot more confidence with public speaking!

A few notes:

• I had taken a C++, Java and Visual Basic class in high school and so I had a fundamental understanding of programming prior to this class which was very helpful.  My fellow classmates  who had no coding experience definitely struggled with the pace of the class.
    • When they say that you will be spending 20+ hours a week out side of class... it is 100% true!  I sometimes sat down on Saturdays and coded for 12 hours straight.
    • The curriculum for this class is all about exposure.  It sets you up and points you in the right direction.  I found though that unless I sat down and crunched through things on my own, the concepts would not stick.  You have to write your own code, even when you feel like you have no idea what you are doing.

Ultimately, this class is a shortcut to becoming employment ready in the coding world.  Where as it might take somebody 2 years of learning on their own, this class can chop that in half ... and like I said a fair number of my classmates landed a job in 3 months after the class ... which is a total turn around time of 6 months (3 months of class + 3 months after class).  Not bad for making a complete career/life change.

Wednesday, May 23 2018
    Thank you for your review, Stephen! We are happy to hear our instructors and TAs were so helpful during your significant life change - we also agree Jeff is pretty fantastic! Thank you for coming back to TA for us, we are really passionate about education and truly appreciate your enjoyment of teaching and writing code. Like you noted, this is an immersive course, one that requires a serious amount of dedication and practice outside of class. We applaud you for all the hard work and long hours you put in to master the topics, it definitely paid off. Congratulations on completing the boot camp! We wish you great success moving forward.
  • Devin DiNapoli  User Photo
    Devin DiNapoli • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I joined the Bootcamp with no knowledge in web development or any sort of coding at all, with exception of some prior C++ from high school/college. I took a break from University a few years back, and was absolutely terrified to go back into the classroom again. However, the transition of going back into the classroom was not a struggle whatsoever.

The instructors and and TA's were absolutely INCREDIBLE. They were all extrememly helpful, and 99% of the time they were available to help with any issue I had. The student success advisor, as well as our career services advisor, were VERY helpful as well. Anita gave all of us the necessary tools to find a job in the always growing job market.

The program itself is tough, that's for sure. It's not for everyone, but if you're willing to put in the time, effort, and work, you'll come out being an incredible developer. You come out of the course being knowledgable in both front end and back end development, which will give you the upperhand when applying for jobs, as well as building applications!

Yes, it might take some time to find a job afterwards, but you just have be patient and keep coding. Yes, I'm still seeking employment, but it's only been a few weeks since I've graduated, and I already have some job interviews lined up. So to look back at how I was when I first started to now, I think that says a lot about this program.

I highly reccomend taking this course. It is WELL worth the money. Think of it as an investment for your future self!

Wednesday, May 23 2018
    Amazing, Devin! We are thrilled you had such a positive experience with our program, successfully learning the fundamentals of full-stack web development. We commend you for stepping back into a classroom setting and putting in the hard work to fuel your success. It's great to know our entire team was so helpful throughout every step of the boot camp journey - we also agree Anita is pretty great! You are completely right that if you rigorously study and put in the effort, you will be prepared to step out into today's job market as a web developer. Congratulations on graduating, we know you will go on to do great things in your future endeavors!
  • Karin Hermann  User Photo
    Karin Hermann • Rock Climbing Coach • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I enrolled in the second session of the coding bootcamp after a lot of hesitation and was given a good sales pitch about future employers lining up at my door and all of the opportunities we would have to get involved in the tech scene in Charlotte.

I felt very much like we got a very broad base of knowledge that many employers don’t think is enough, and now there are hundreds of us with the same education so every resume gets sent back with a “Sorry, we just have too many junior developers with the same credentials and no experience.”

The instructors were great but I think it was a waste of money as I am now in debt and still can’t find a job.

Wednesday, Apr 04 2018
    Hi Karin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience with us. We want to first congratulate you on seeing the course through to the end and finishing strong! We are aware that completing a rigorous program like ours requires extensive hours of review and practice.

It's great to hear that you were happy with your instructors and that they were able to provide a positive learning experience. We are constantly working to ensure the success of our students and are very proud of the passion and support that our instructional staff provides.

Because we teach such a wide array of technologies in a short amount of time, our curriculum focuses on giving students a high level, hands-on understanding of the topics covered in class, with the goal of students expanding on that understanding outside of class. We regularly audit and update our curriculum based on the market demands and employer input, and the companies that we engage with do feel that we teach a robust set of skills to make our students competitive job seekers.

We regret to hear that your time with our career services team did not meet your expectations due to the departure of your original career director. After their departure, Anita Smalls stepped in as career director, providing various professional development services such as 1:1 coaching, resume support, portfolio reviews, and more. Our records indicate that after you expressed dissatisfaction with the level of support you were receiving, both Anita and our Vice President of Career Services, attempted to reach you on several occasions, starting in January. While they were not able to personally reach you, we did continue sending additional job opportunities in your area. Were any of these opportunities of interest to you? We know job seeking is difficult and strenuous, which is why we encourage students to submit a number of quality applications on a weekly basis; this helps students maximize their networking and increase their possibilities of securing a well-matched position.

The career services team strives to be clear about expectations for our job support. While we cannot secure a job for you, we are here to empower you with the tools and preparation needed to find the right role. We were able to provide you with feedback on your career ready tools and hope you found that to be helpful.

Our goal is for all students to leave the program feeling equipped for success and confident in their skills. As our career services do not end at graduation, we would love the opportunity to provide you with any additional career readiness support you need at this time to help you put your best foot forward as you continue the job search. Please contact me directly at (704) 601-6030 so we can further discuss your needs.
  • Amazing Experience
    - 8/23/2017
    Daniel Oliveira  User Photo
    Daniel Oliveira • Teaching Assistant • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

This bootcamp has been one of the best educational experiences I have ever had. It is fast-paced, and challenging but in the end you'll have all the necessary skills required for the Charlotte job market. The amount of resources and support from the entire team is unrivaled. I'm amazed at all the skills I gained in this course and even convinced a buddy of mine to take the bootcamp. I highly recommend this bootcamp to anyone pursuing a career as a developer.

Thursday, Aug 24 2017
    Hi Daniel,

Congratulations on completing the program, and thank you so much for your review! We’re thrilled that you had such a positive boot camp experience. Though it can be challenging to learn so many new concepts in such a short amount of time, our team works hard to provide our students with the support they need to be successful. We really appreciate your recommendation of this course to others, and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

• Dzmitry Dubarau  User Photo
    Dzmitry Dubarau • Web Developer at Bank of America • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I went to the UNCC Coding Bootcamp without any knowledge about code or programming. It was the best experience I ever had, the teaching and student support staff is amazing, the program is unique and constantly getting updated to fit the current market need in Charlotte area. The Bootcamp gives you tools and skillset to become a great Full Stack Web Developer. However, it is not easy, you have to put in a lot of time to reach your goal.You have to be prepared to work in the team, learning, Google-ing and have fun!

Monday, Aug 07 2017
    We love reading reviews like yours, Dzmitry! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We’re glad that you enjoyed our market-based curriculum. As you mention this program can be challenging and requires students to commit themselves to learning, and practicing their skills. Our instructors, TAs, and career services team are all about helping students succeed, so we’re thrilled to know that you felt their support throughout the journey.

Congratulations on completing the program, we wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

• Matt White  User Photo
    Matt White • Node JS Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Like other reviewers have mentioned, this is a legitimately hard course. Depending on your background, this may be one of the harder educational ventures in your life. However, in my opinion, it is absolutely worth it. If you put in the time and effort, you will definitely come out of this program with the skills necessary to succeed in the marketplace.

That being said, you must approach this program with the proper attitude. If you do the bare minimum, your chances of breaking into development post-graduation are slim. That may sound harsh, but it's the reality of the situation, and if you know this going in you are far more likely to succeed. The good news is, you are constantly surrounded by people who truly want to push you and help you to achieve your goals. TAs, instructors, and career services are committed to helping you every step of the way. I can honestly say this is one of the few times in education where I felt everyone in the organization went above and beyond in terms of guiding me.

So, is this course right for you? If you thrive on a challenge and know coding is the career path for you, then I would wholeheartedly recommend this program.

Friday, Jul 28 2017
    Thank you so much for your review Matt, your willingness to participate made you a pleasure to have in class. As you mention, this course does require dedication in practicing the skills covered so that you can absorb the material well.  This is an excellent insight, and important for future students to understand.

We’re glad that you felt supported in achieving your goals. Our instructors, TAs, and Career Services team make it their mission to help students succeed. We’re so proud to hear that they went above and beyond to guide you during your boot camp experience. Congratulations on all of the hard work you put into completing the program, we’re cheering you on as you move forward in your career.
  • Nick • Student
    This camp is definitely a bit pricey in comparison to other bootcamps, but it was worth every penny! The instructors and TAs were amazing and the post course support is second to none!
    Monday, Nov 29 2021
    Thanks, Nick! It's great to hear you benefited from the support of our entire team both during and after the boot camp. We appreciate your review and wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Shawn • Graduate
    There are a ton of positives and negatives to the Full Stack Web Development coding bootcamp at UNC Charlotte. I will address both of these from my honest perspective as a full time student in hopes that it provides future students a true insight into what to expect as well as hopefully assist UNCC and Bootcamp Spot with improving the program.

My starting point for context:
    Prior to starting this course I had written ZERO lines of code. I didn’t do the pre-course work either, which honestly you should do. I am naturally a little above average at learning speed, so don't go into this thinking you can just breeze through it.

Overall Course Experience:
    I had a great experience with this course and I would highly recommend it to certain people. I do not think this course would be great for everyone. You need to truly have a passion for learning to code, A LOT of time to dedicate to learning outside of class, and be a decently fast learner. You have 20 hours of class time a week, and it’s suggested you need to put in 40 hours outside of class. That’s not an exaggeration, I was putting in close to 90 hours a week in the second and third month of the course.

I only have positive things to say here. Our instructor was Anthony Cooper and I cannot speak highly enough of him. He is a very experienced coder and understands the entire full stack for web development. He was incredibly relatable and approachable, which I find to be extremely important for an educator. He was so incredibly patient with every student that struggled and we all certainly had moments where we struggled. There was never a moment that I encountered a problem in my code that Anthony could not solve. He even tried to adapt his teaching styles for each student’s learning style, which is incredibly difficult. He went above and beyond to help any student even outside of class hours, including weekends. He is truly a brilliant individual and my class was so lucky to have him, and UNCC is equally lucky to have an amazing educator such as him.

Our Teaching Assistant was Maxwell Allee and again, I can’t say enough great things about them. Max was so much more than just a TA, they were basically a second instructor. Their knowledge was incredible and I do not think I could have completed this course without their help along with the help from Anthony. They were so incredibly passionate about coding that it was infectious, just speaking about code to Max got me amped to code even more frequently. I don’t know when they actually had time to have a personal life or sleep because they were always helping a student. A difficult part about getting help with coding is that you don’t know how to phrase the question for someone else to understand the situation, Max was exceptional at understanding what someone was asking and getting you to your solution without just giving you the answer. Max facilitated learning above all else. They also had to help students through personal issues that came up throughout the course, which takes a lot of compassion. I can’t speak for each student, but the consensus was that Max was incredibly understanding and helpful in those moments. UNCC was so lucky to have them as a TA for 2 years, and they’ll be lucky when they decide to hire them back as an instructor (Max has moved on to a corporate job right after our course ended).
    While Anthony and Max were both incredible individually, they were even better as a pair. Both are truly full stack developers, and understand the course work inside and out, however Anthony excels at front end development and Max excels at back end development. Their expertise brought so much to the class and gave different learning perspectives which helped so much since everyone learns differently. I do not believe it is possible for there to be a better teaching pair out there. I feel bad for prospective students because you will not have this pair of incredible educators. I wish I could more eloquently describe just how incredible these two were.

Student Success Manager:
    The SSM role in this course is basically the in between person between the students and the university. A student advocate in my experience. Ours was actually a substitute SSM, I believe she was on loan from another university, her name was Gemini Sanford. She may be the kindest most compassionate person I have ever met. In my dealings with her I can say I felt so incredibly comfortable, safe, and heard. She went above and beyond any normal expectations of an SSM, and without her I would not have completed this course. I’ve spoken to a lot of my classmates about this program prior to writing this, it’s not my place to say their personal and private issues that came up, I will say that every one I’ve talked to has only the highest praise for Gemini. She was always the most positive and excited person on presentation days, she genuinely cares about your growth and happiness. She helped so many of us through so many different issues, she is the ideal person for a job like this. I hope one day to be as good at anything as she is at her job.

I am giving this 5 stars but I do have negatives to point out in this section.

Anthony Cooper did a wonderful job presenting the curriculum and it is well designed to take you from not knowing how to code to being able to make a fully dynamic web application.

You will learn the MERN stack, please research what that is and the pros and cons to that stack vs other stacks. You will be learning javascript, it will be your programming language. You’re not going to learn Python, C#, or Ruby… etc. You’re not learning to make mobile apps, or video games (I did end up making browser based games though).

The course is well designed to amp up along the path. It starts out slow teaching the basics like HTML and CSS. As you get into javascript it is designed to not overwhelm you by throwing you directly into something like React, each unit is a stepping stone to something further down the line. I feel like they taught us Handlebars just to make React a bit easier to comprehend.

The curriculum is designed for the part time 24 week course, and this is where a lot of negatives come in. The full time course is the same curriculum but just the time cut in half (I don’t think they even change any wording, they refer to things being an odd or even week for homework when that makes no sense when you have 2 homework assignments per week not 1). Where this becomes a pretty noticeable problem is with homework. In the part time it’s pretty easy to just have it due on the same day each week. In the full time it ends up changing, and you typically have homework due one day after you finish the unit it’s related to. There were many homework assignments that I spent 20+ hours on, trying to do that within a day and a half is tough. Homework should be due the day you finish the following unit.

There are no days built in for catch up if your class falls behind. Adding a day or two to the schedule and being more fluid to adjust the schedule would help a lot. Possibly even making it a 13 week course, I know this hurts the marketing and increases overhead but one additional week would really help the students.

The assessment for entry to the course is not very selective. This can become a problem if everyone isn’t dedicated and able to put in the extra time outside of class, they can slow down the entire class or not contribute to group projects. A more selective process for the full time course than the part time course would really be a great benefit.

I will say they have a lot of assistance for your resume building. They provide great feedback and have a lot of example material to assist you. That is about where my positives end for job assistance.

Their sales staff are incredible, and I say that with a ton of sales experience. They certainly built up their career services department in our discussions. They claim to have a ton of industry contacts which will help you get a job post graduation, I have not found that to be the case. They have a job board but no referral system. They build up events like demo days where you’re supposed to have interaction with potential employers, however the last one had maybe 2 companies there.

Most of my interactions with their career services staff have been copy and paste emails where the person doesn’t even change the signature name.

Do not take this course with the expectation that they will find you a job or even be a big help in the endeavour.

Where I am at currently:
    I can make any website my mind can think up. I can create a backend server with authentication, and databases. Probably the most valuable thing to employers, I can work with React which allows a much more dynamic web experience. I can’t believe how much I learned in 12 weeks.

Synopsis:
    If you truly have a desire to learn coding to advance your knowledge and begin your journey, this is a great course. You need to be able to put in over 60 hours a week though! I just hope you get as lucky as I did with my instructor, TA, and SSM. If you are thinking of taking this course because it’ll get you a job right after graduation, this might not be the course for you.

Friday, May 28 2021
    Thank you for sharing your boot camp experience, Shawn! We couldn't agree more that in order to succeed in this program you will truly need to be passionate about coding and dedicate extensive time both inside and outside of the classroom.

We're thrilled you found our entire team to be valuable resources providing guidance and encouragement throughout your learning journey—we also think that Anthony, Maxwell, and Gemini are pretty fantastic at what they do, going above and beyond to help each student. Like you noted, our curriculum builds upon each topic and we find that learners become more and more confident in their skills as the course progresses. As the industry continues to evolve, our curriculum is continually being optimized using extensive market and employer research, so we appreciate your feedback.

Like you mentioned, our admissions process includes an interview and a timed, critical thinking and problem-solving assessment that applicants must pass with a score of 70 or above in order to move forward. Throughout the process, we do our best to emphasize the rigor of the program and ensure students are a good fit. We're continually optimizing our admissions experience and insight like yours helps us do just that.

You're correct that our professional development services are built on the principle of empowerment. While we do not secure employment for students, we do provide individualized support through technical interview training, portfolio reviews, resume/social media profile support, and more. We hope you were able to benefit from your coaching sessions and these other resources.

Congratulations on graduating, we appreciate you sharing your helpful advice to prospective students who are looking to delve into web development! We wish you all the best and are rooting you on in all your future coding endeavors.