truecoders-logo

TrueCoders

TrueCoders

TrueCoders is a software development bootcamp based in Birmingham, Alabama, which offers an intensive full-time 10-week course or a part-time 6-month evening course. Both courses cover C#, .NET, Java, the ASP.NET MVC framework, relational databases like SQL, webkit based debuggers VPN, RDP and a basic working knowledge of networking and file permissions. TrueCoders also specializes in source control and students will receive in-depth instruction on Git. TrueCoders aims to provide new coders with the tools needed to find a position in the digital job market including marketable skills, career navigation, and a support community.

TrueCoders is meant for career switchers and those with no prior programming experience who wish to enter the tech industry. The application process for both classes begins by scheduling an interview online. A member of their staff will soon follow up with a call. If accepted, students are required to learn onsite at their Birmingham or Auburn campuses.

Before graduation, TrueCoders prepare their students for the job market by improving their resumes, helping them create networking opportunities, and hosting practice interviews. TrueCoders also focuses on communication skills and teaches students how to leverage connections they may have in the tech industry (including fellow students). TrueCoders actively fosters community and friendship with weekly social activities in and out of the classroom such as soccer matches or laser tag. After graduation, the TrueCoders placement team works with graduates to make introductions, set up interviews, coaching before interviews sending out job applications.

Recent TrueCoders Reviews: Rating 4.95

all (22) reviews for TrueCoders →

Recent TrueCoders News

• Developer Accelerator Track

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, Python, .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, Java
      Auburn, Birmingham
      The 10-week full-time course covers C#, .NET, Java, the ASP.NET MVC framework, relational databases like SQL, webkit based debuggers VPN, RDP and a basic working knowledge of networking and file permissions.
      Financing available via SkillsFund & Climb Credit
      None
      We assign prep work to each student before joining
      Interview
    • Developer Night Course

Auburn, Birmingham
      Learn software development with enterprise technology in 6 months The schedule for this course is either Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesday and Thursdays. Classes meet from 6:30pm - 8:30PM. Lab is on Friday from 5:30pm-8:30pm 2 hours of lab is required. Our next class starts September 2nd 2019. The class cost $9500 for the full 6 months of training and includes our placement team working during the 6 months and after with you full-time until you’ve been placed in a developer position. Financing options are available.
      We offer financing through Climb Credit and SkillsFund
      None
      We assign prep work to each student before joining
      Interview

• John William Jones III  User Photo
      John William Jones III • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Truly a lifechanging course to go through. The teachers are pleasant and knowledgable, the environment is friendly and encouraging, and ultimately goes by in a breeze.

Not to say the coursework is easy mind you, no the course is one of the most difficult I've ever gone through, but the teachers are there with you every step of the way.

10/10 would recommend to someone who even has a slight interest in coding, computers, or technology.

• TrueCoders
      - 8/6/2019
      KaDarius  User Photo
      KaDarius • Quality Assurance Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Before starting at TrueCoders, I was in a sales role where I felt my talents weren't being nurtured or appreciated. After hearing about TrueCoders, I dove headfirst into one of the best decisions I've made thus far in life. Although challenging and at times somewhat impossible, progressing through the course not only taught me a new skill but also a different way of thinking in terms of tackling a difficult problem.

IT is a beautiful world in its own that many people who could and would be perfect in it never quite get to experience. TrueCoders molds you and grooms you into a quality programmer that can easily become an asset to any team in any space.

If you're intimidated by large classrooms or dread the thought of moving through semester after semester hoping you land a job in your field; TrueCoders can help! Software companies NEED bodies right now. There's no lack of jobs in the space, and tech is constantly growing in this field. It was my best decision to date, and I am grateful to all those involved in my development.

• Francesca Marciani  User Photo
      Francesca Marciani • Software Quality Assurance Tester • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After leaving academia, I floated in a bizarre purgatory between two realms: "What I Know I Don't Want to Do" and "What Next?" I strung together a series of gig economy and tutoring part-time jobs, and dreamed of one day being able to use the term "full-time employee." I was bored with my current non-trajectory, desirous of a dynamic career, and hungry for a challenge.

Enter TrueCoders, right around when I was considering beginning my own, one-woman math tutoring endeavour. I had seen ads for tech bootcamps before, in cities like San Francisco, Austin, and New York -- all horrendously out of geographical reach and out of price range for someone with neither money nor experience to her name. Still, the idea of being a woman in software development intrigued me. I read stories of women who had left their jobs as teachers, librarians, academics -- all to enter the field of technology. They'd taken the leap, so why couldn't I? When I heard through trusted word of mouth about TrueCoders' high job placement rate and their devotion to sending their graduates into tech jobs (and not just jobs), I put on my best "Struggling Millennial" business casual outfit and went to meet with Daniel Walsh.

A year later, and here I am, one of those women with one of those origin stories. After six weeks of an intensive 8-week course, I had studied, clawed, and fought my way to C# competency, enough that a local company offered me a highly-paid internship position. I repeat: I interviewed with two amazing companies weeks before I had even completed the course, and that was enough to place me where I am today: a full-time employee for the same company, writing code, problem-solving, and destroying bugs. I get to tell people I work in tech, which -- let me tell you -- always feels good. I get to ride along in a field that is always changing and will never bore me, and I get to contribute my skills to software that serves a public good. TrueCoders, in essence, both returned to me my zest for life, and helped me to convert my imagination to reality.

But if you're reading this review, I'm betting that you couldn't care less about my ego. Let me tell you what makes TrueCoders a great launching point for your switch into tech:

• Small classes and individual attention. My class felt particularly special, as we were composed of overachievers who expected nothing but the best of ourselves. The instructor at the time, Cody Winton, recognized this and encouraged our unending thirst for improvement.

• Peer and instructor support. My classmates were interested in helping one another both inside and out of the classroom, some of them forming study groups after class. The level of caring for one another's success still stands out as unique in my long history of learning. However, Cody was also extremely willing to provide help one-on-one, and was never judgmental toward my struggles. The current instructors, Chip Elmer and Brandon Dowds, are genuinely patient, compassionate, and highly effective teachers, and will work tirelessly with you to fill in your knowledge gaps as you go.

• Job-hunting support. From Week 1, Daniel was there to ask us the kinds of companies we were interested in and the salary ranges we were looking for, and to provide us with resume templates. These resumes were reviewed and offered suggestions for improvement, and I learned how to market myself more efficiently. As we broadened our developer skills, Daniel began sending off our resumes to local companies and getting us interviews (!). I sat with him for a couple of mock interviews until I was ready to embark on the real thing. Additionally, throughout the course, he would give us tips for presenting ourselves: getting business cards, social networking on LinkedIn, and actively asking for informational calls. There were also multiple occasions on which representatives from various companies came to speak to the class and meet us, facilitating our network-building.

• Evolutionary. The course belongs to everyone in it, and both the instructors and Daniel are receptive (and responsive!) to feedback. Suggestions for how the course is run or for what kind of material is taught is never treated as arrogant or unwelcome. TrueCoders is adaptable and constantly evolving to meet students' needs, as they simultaneously keep an eye on the demands of the Birmingham tech market. They want you to graduate with the skills you need to enter the labor force as soon as possible.

• Outside interest. The need for skilled tech workers in Birmingham is high, and TrueCoders attracts a great deal of interest from companies in need of developers and support. TC is also wanted and welcomed by the local community for what it provides; for instance, I can remember a couple of occasions on which we were paid surprise visits by businesses, or by their free food samples!

• Community. Long after you've graduated from TrueCoders, you are remembered by your classmates and instructors alike. I have never passed up an opportunity to return to TC to meet (or attempt to assist) new students, catch up with old classmates, and chat with Daniel. Once you've graduated, there will always be a place for you. The giveback is also ongoing, as it's in everyone's best interest that you enjoy what you're doing. If you don't, you will be helped by TrueCoders in finding another job.

It's my hope that this review has been helpful -- and hopefully even a little inspiring -- to you. Now, kick off your shoes and jump in. Life waits for no one, so why wait for life?

• Steven Bustamento  User Photo
      Steven Bustamento • Web Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

At TrueCoders I went on a journey that took me from minor and various jobs in the service industry, without a degree, to ending up as a developer working in industry and working on a handful of side projects with the skillsets that I developed during my course.
      This course was fast paced, but with wonderful instruction and a strong curriculum that sets you up for success. My favorite part of what I learned in the course was I got comfortable solving problems in this world and through the course I got the fundamentals to teach myself and learn more in the tech world.

You couldnt ask to be around better people than at TrueCoders. They are dedicated to every students success, and work very hard to best position their students for success.

I met wonderful people at my time at TrueCoders, and learned so much. This 8 week course is fast paced, but if you put effort into it - you can definitely achieve!

• Serdar Yagci  User Photo
      Serdar Yagci • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TrueCoders gave me more than what I expected. I've was hired on at FIS here in Birmingham as Software Engineer. Job interview also is a big part and they'll teach you every step. YOU'LL NEVER BE DISAPPOINTED!

• Jacob Watson  User Photo
      Jacob Watson • Business Analyst and Automation Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I went through the 8 week dev course, and was hired on at BBVA at graduation. I wish I could go through the course again just for fun. Daniel is a great guy and keeps everything fun
    • Web Developer
      - 6/28/2019
      Carlton Gannett  User Photo
      Carlton Gannett • Web Developer @ Healthgrades.com • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TRUECODERS IS AWESOME and will change your life

After going to the developer accelerator track I got a job making 60k+ a year without a college degree. They will help you and coach you through the whole process of finding a job. What's great about TrueCoders is the instructors: They are right there for when you don't understand something or you are missing something. Getting that push here and there when you aren't getting it will dramatically speed up your ability to learn programming and get a job.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PROGRAMMING OF ANY SORT  AND ARE THINKING ABOUT SIGNING UP - DO IT

• Chris A. • Student

I researched several boot camps that would teach back end skills that are in demand.  I had seen a TrueCoders advertisement and a few people suggested I reach out to them.  Daniel replied to me within the hour and we were sitting down the next day.  All of my questions were answered and it has been a good decision.  The work is challenging but they provide you plenty of resources.  The staff is very friendly and well-connected when it comes time to network and find that first job.  They help you with resume, LinkedIn profiles, and interviewing skills.  It's a very good value.

• student
      - 8/20/2019
      Kris Dixon • Student

I was worried before I started that I would not understand anything or be able to keep up during class, but that was unfounded. The instructors take the time to make sure you fully understand the material and encourage questions and are willing to work with students after class hours. I feel much more confident in my coding abilities after these 10 weeks. TrueCoders also makes sure that students are ready for job interviews and I feel confident that I will soon land a job after graduating. After going through TrueCoders, I do not see how people would be able to learn as much through on line bootcamps.

• McGuire Price • Student

Going into the course I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to keep up with the curriculum. I always tended to stay away from coding because it looked incredibly daunting and foriegn. However, I chose to take a chance with TrueCoders after hearing about its sucess and I am so thankful I did. Now I feel confident in my ability to comfortably code and feel I can take on projects that come my way. The classroom dynamic allows each student to have inidivdual assistance from the teacher (something that I find is an obstacle in online bootcamps) and the practical coding education is paired well with the job placement aspect of the course that helps connects the student with jobs all over Birmingham due to TrueCoders outstanding reputation.

If you want to pursue a career in coding, this is 100% the course you need to take. You will not be able to find a better bootcamp!

• Tanner Riddle • Graduate

My time at TrueCoders was spent learning valuable skills that prepared me for everyday tasks in the software development field. The teachers were fantastic and genuinely cared about your success. I will forever be appreciative to the people at TrueCoders.

• Nathan Rice • Graduate

Most of my working life has been spent under the $13/hr mark, and now, because of the training and experience I gained in 10 weeks, I'm now working in a career making a salary over 50k a year. I'm definitely getting out everything I put in.

• TrueCoders rules
      - 8/1/2019
      Sam M • Graduate

TrueCoders taught me the basics of what I needed to get an entry level job as a software developer. I still am in denial -- am I really working as one now? I nearly quadrupled my salary within a year because of learning to code and finding a developer job. Very much life changing.

The instructors are very helpful and knowledgable, and they provide excellent support for job placement. Very much worth the time and money if you're seriously considering a job in software development.

• Vincent Tafolla • Graduate

I went into this course knowing only a little bit about coding and 10 weeks later I know way more than I would’ve ever known on my own!

• A Fantastic Course
      - 6/30/2019
      Jared Clark • Graduate

I recently graduated from the ten-week daytime course, and I loved every minute of it. The staff were very friendly, and the classes allowed for a lot of hands-on experience. I'm confident that I'm now prepared to start my career as a software developer.

• Chris Finney • Software Engineer • Graduate

When I attended TrueCoders, I had previously attended another Birmingham coding Bootcamp the year prior.

The differences were night and day. In the previous one, instructors were only interested in getting through the lesson materials and assign some poorly written homework assignment that was never reviewed, while at TrueCoders, the instructor focused on the why of software engineering and provided feedback on every single project we completed.

The instructor in my class left to go work as a software engineer at Facebook now, but I can attest to the current instructor Chip as being one of the smartest, patient, and humble people I’ve ever met. I’ve set through probably a dozen live coding sessions from other people but Chip is by far the best I’ve seen.

As far as the job hunt goes, they actually practice soft skills and technical interviewing, job searching tactics, and whiteboard style questions. When I graduated, I got two offers from two different jobs that were from postings Daniel from TrueCoders shared with me. Seven months after I graduated, I had the opportunity to interview with a Silicon Valley startup and Daniel helped me prepare for that interview as well (which I got an offer that included a 60% pay increase from my previous)

There’s no doubt in my mind that TrueCoders is worth it. I don’t know where I’d be if it wasn’t for them, but I can say my quality of life is much better because of them.

• Software Developer
      - 6/29/2019
      Mitchell Barfield • Software Developer • Graduate

Most of my work life has been in kitchens. Once I got married and had a son, I realized that I needed a career that will leverage my strengths and be rewarding for the next 40 years. I enjoy computers and video games, so I began learning to code. I studied for a year before realizing that I needed a jumpstart to get into my new career. TrueCoders is exactly what I needed to bring about the change that brought my wife home full time.

The staff at TrueCoders is great. The instructors are helpful and meet you where you are without a sense of elitism or annoyance. If you show that you are committed then they will be committed to helping you succeed.

The curriculum is focused on teaching you how to learn how to code. It’s a bit like teaching someone to read as opposed to teaching them about a particular book. This opens up job possibilities, prepares you for future tech changes, and instills confidence that you can do it. Although you can show up with zero experience, I’m glad I took some time to look at the basics beforehand. It ensured I wasn’t behind the curve and helped me know that this is something that I’m actually interested in.

That being said, it was important that I jumped in with both feet and committed myself to the career change because it’s a difficult subject and the TrueCoders experience works if you work for it.

I don’t regret my decision at all because I’m doing what I planned to do serveral years ago, accomplished the goals I set out, and I have TrueCoders to thank for giving me a way to do that.

• Nathan Broom • Automated Tester • Graduate

I have worked an odd combination of jobs since graduating college a couple of years ago. I coached soccer, assisted a dentist, yard work, research, demolition, Chick-fil-A, and I was even an instructor at an axe throwing place! All of these jobs had good parts of them, but I always felt like I was leaving my most valuable skills on the table. I knew that I was great with details, problem solving, and strategic thinking. I always thought I should have been an architect or an engineer. Unfortunately my college degree is in philosophy and classical languages…

So there I was, slaving away, frying chicken in the back of a Chick-fil-A, wondering how I could bridge the gap between my dreams and my qualifications. That’s when I came across an add for TrueCoders on Facebook. It said something along the lines of, “Become a software developer in 10 weeks. Average starting salary $50,000”.

I immediately thought “wow...what a scam. There’s no way.” But I was also curious. I started reading everything I could about TrueCoders, coding bootcamps, and software development. I ended up setting up a phone call with Daniel and eventually met with him in person. He was very helpful and knowledgeable about the tech industry in Birmingham.After talking with him I decided to go for it. I started the 10 week Developer Accelerator course a week later. The instructors Chip and Brandon are incredibly skilled coders and teachers. They can definitely teach you what you need to know to become a developer!In addition to great coding instruction, TrueCoders also provides you with all the knowledge and coaching you need to build a great resume and navigate job interviews.

Without a doubt TrueCoders changed my life. I went from making $13/hr to $24/hr in just 10 weeks!  I went from a practically zero career options to the entire tech scene being open to me. TrueCoders works!

Questions you might have:

Can I actually get a job after the program?

-Absolutely! I was hired a week before I graduated.

Is it really worth the cost?

-$9,500 to make $50,000 sounds like a good ROI to me.

• Whit Stroup • Graduate

I was a little skeptical of coding bootcamps when I first learned about them but after hearing great things about TrueCoders I decided to give it a shot.

The instructors are great people that will work with you and do whatever it takes to help get you up to speed and get you hired! Outside of class hours it is highly recommended you meet with them for extra help that they are more than willing to give. They are full of knowlege and have many connections in the Software Devellopment field. If you are looking for a course that not only gives you the technical skills you need but also helps you land a job, this is an awesome bootcamp to be part of and the best one in Alabama!

• Steve • Digital Project Manager / Agile Coach • Student

I have worked in IT and development for more than a decade, although I'm not a developer. The core principles and philosophy of the course is very well thought out, and is correctly focused on what is important in real-world development. The principles listed on the wall, and the structure of the class is all based around "hands dirty" writing code immediately, and creating quality code that others will inherit. I recognize the importance of this focus, because I deal with this issues on a daily basis in my work.

I originally had reservations about starting the full-time day course because I was awaiting job offers at the same time. Daniel and Chip became conversational friends, and it was very easy to continue the discussion of my options. I received and accepted an offer during the first week of class, but I still wanted to continue the course. It was very easy to switch to the upcoming scheduled evening class.

The instructors are really, really good. I've taught at the college level, including software methodologies; and I've had 6 years of college level academics. TrueCoders has found instructors who bring an incredible palette of knowledge, teaching ability, curiousity, fun, and patience. The background and skill set of starting students in both the day and evening classes varies widely, and the instructors make sure that's not an obstacle. If a question is asked and the instructors don't immediately know the answer, they have a "let's see!" mentality, and they teach students solid practices of how to learn on their own.

I have heard multiple students across the two classes say they have taken CS courses at a four year degree, but never learned how to actually write real-world usable code, or compile a working application. TrueCoders is the type of environment where acadmic theory is not a 4 year obstacle to overcome, and students will create working applications within weeks; and full-stack applications by the end of the course.

The course covers the right mix of technologies for the current market. Time is limited, but if there was more time, the curriculum could use some expansion into AWS / cloud based applications, and DevOps or CICD release / production processes.

The instructors and administrators also focus heavily on the ultimate point of this knowledge, getting a career in development. This conversation starts early, and resources are provided; from guest speakers, resume and interviewing workshops, and networking within the local tech community.

• Cruz Sanchez • QA Automation Specialist Regions Bank • Graduate
      Before Truecoders I was working for myself with my dad as a welder and Hydraulic mechanic. I was happy doing that for 3 years however we were not making enough money for both of ourselves to live comfortably and keep the company floating, so I decided to take it upon myself to leave and work somewhere else so there would be more money for my dad and the company. I ended up working at a competitor shop and I ended up hating it and hating pretty much my life, only good thing i had to look forward to was coming home to my wife and the weekends. By complete random chance I heard about Truecoders on the radio, called Daniel that same day and ended up starting class the following week on July 9th, 2018. Honestly it felt strange, I was very nervous since I was sitting in a classroom instead of working. On to the meat of this review, I had absolutely no knowledge of coding before Truecoders, I was a complete beginner. I've always been decent with computers and navigation but no programming. The class started off a little slow in the first couple of days but once we got the terminology down it really started picking up. By the middle of week 2 we had already learned about methods and classes. Once week 4 came around we had pretty much covered all the basics of C# and some advanced topics. In all we covered C#, SQL, JAVA, some python, and ASP.NET. Chip the instructor was excellent, he is extremely knowledgeable about programming and was always willing to keep everyone on the same pace. If you needed to stay after for a one on one he never turned anyone down. The class itself was very relaxed. We would take one break in the morning, lunch and then one before class was over. We were always playing ping pong or XBox if we had a "quick minute". Once it was time to start job placement Daniel took over on that front. He works with you every step of the way until you are placed, that also is true after you graduate. Truecoders is the only school around Birmingham that will help place you after graduation and if you have already gotten a job and are wanting to change locations. Frequently Daniel would bring in influencers of HR reps from different companies to talk to the class. We would have resume building sessions and mock interviews to help us prepare for real tech interviews. Also we would do white board challenges in class like they would in a real interview. In closing I would like to say Truecoders is and amazing opportunity for someone to change their life. At the time of writing this it's been almost one whole year since I started at Truecoders. I've been recently reflecting on how different my life is compared to last year. I know for a fact that if you feel stuck or are just looking for a change of pace, Truecoders is the place for you. I would do it all again without question. If you have any further questions feel free to look me up on Facebook (Cruz Sanchez) or shoot me an email at: cruzsanchez9209@gmail.com. I'm very passionate about the school because I know for a fact you can go from knowing nothing about coding to getting a career in programming in 2 months. Thank you for reading my review, Cruz Sanchez