truecoders-logo

TrueCoders

Auburn, Birmingham, Huntsville

TrueCoders

TrueCoders is a software development bootcamp based in Birmingham, Alabama, which offers an intensive full-time 9-week course or a part-time 6-month evening course. Both courses cover C#, .NET, Java, the ASP.NET MVC framework, relational databases like SQL, webkit based debuggers VPN, RDP and a basic working knowledge of networking and file permissions. TrueCoders also specializes in source control and students will receive in-depth instruction on Git. TrueCoders aims to provide new coders with the tools needed to find a position in the digital job market including marketable skills, career navigation, and a support community.

TrueCoders is meant for career switchers and those with no prior programming experience who wish to enter the tech industry. The application process for both classes begins by scheduling an interview online. A member of their staff will soon follow up with a call. If accepted, students are required to learn onsite at their Birmingham or Auburn campuses.

Before graduation, TrueCoders prepare their students for the job market by improving their resumes, helping them create networking opportunities, and hosting practice interviews. TrueCoders also focuses on communication skills and teaches students how to leverage connections they may have in the tech industry (including fellow students). TrueCoders actively fosters community and friendship with weekly social activities in and out of the classroom such as soccer matches or laser tag. After graduation, the TrueCoders placement team works with graduates to make introductions, set up interviews, coaching before interviews sending out job applications.

Recent TrueCoders Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (51) reviews for TrueCoders →

Recent TrueCoders News

• Software Engineering Night Track

LocationAuburn, Birmingham, Huntsville
      Learn software development with enterprise technology in 6 months The schedule for this course is either Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesday and Thursdays. Classes meet from 6:30pm - 8:30PM. Lab is on Friday from 5:30pm-8:30pm 2 hours of lab is required. Our next class starts September 2nd 2019. The class cost $9500 for the full 6 months of training and includes our placement team working during the 6 months and after with you full-time until you’ve been placed in a developer position. Financing options are available.
      Deposit10%
      We offer financing through Climb Credit and SkillsFund
      Minimum Skill LevelNone
      Prep WorkWe assign prep work to each student before joining
    • Software Engineering Track

MySQL, HTML, Git, C#, .NET, ASP.NET, Java, SQL, Python
      LocationAuburn, Birmingham, Huntsville
      The 9-week full-time course covers C#, .NET, Java, the ASP.NET MVC framework, relational databases like SQL, webkit based debuggers VPN, RDP and a basic working knowledge of networking and file permissions.
      Financing available via SkillsFund & Climb Credit
      Minimum Skill LevelNone
      Prep WorkWe assign prep work to each student before joining

• Juody Bun  User Photo
      Juody Bun • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I graduated a few weeks ago from the first TrueCoders class of the Huntsville location. It was refreshing to be surrounded by like-minded individuals who were passionate about technology and coding. From day one, I knew my future success was a priority. The curriculum was adapted to meet the demands of current technologies utilized in the industry. Job assistance workshops on a weekly basis and opportunities for extended learning for specific topics when available are offered to both current and former students.

While the extensive content in the course provided the building blocks of knowledge I needed to enter a career with confidence, it was my instructor Cruz who provided the greatest example for achievement. He is a hard-working individual who deeply cares about each of his students. His devotion and encouraging attitude helped me push through the hardest parts of the course. He has even assisted me after the course to ensure that my job searching is going well. As I continue to interview, I remain confident that I will secure a position soon as a software developer. TrueCoders taught me to view everything as a life lesson and I recommend the program to anyone who seeks an exciting career in the coding industry.
    • TrueCoders Reiew
      Andrew McMahon  User Photo
      Andrew McMahon • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      The team at TrueCoders definitely cares about your success and will put in time to help you learn baseline coding principles and skills to find a job. The in-person aspect of the class is definitely desirable, as almost all real-world programming jobs will involve a team-oriented setting, and in addition you get grouped with other ambitious and intelligent young developers from whom you can learn. I highly recommend considering TrueCoders if you are looking to get your foot in the door in the programming world.
    • Ryan  User Photo
      Ryan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      TrueCoders is amazing bootcamp, it got me back into programming like I wanted to. Cruz is honestly one of my favorite teachers I've ever had, he puts his all into teaching you the material. He goes above and beyond what I expected going into this class. I'm very happy I met him and took this class.
    • Great Teaching
      Michael Cerase  User Photo
      Michael Cerase • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I loved my time at TrueCoders, it offered a great structure to learn new programming techniques as well as a teamwork environment to learn professionally. Now we are moving on to really hitting the job assistance and I look forward to kickstarting my career!
    • Forrest  User Photo
      Forrest • Opportunity Seeker • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      Starting the program I was hesitant about how much I would actually be able to learn in an 8 week period. On my first day I didn't even know how to write a "Hello World" statement, but at the end of the program I was completing projects I never thought I would be able to.
    • TrueCoders Review
      John  User Photo
      John • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      TrueCoders is a very unique coding program which not only teaches programming but also HOW to get a job in the industry. And unlike many other coding bootcamps you are not only able but encouraged to continue to work with all the staff to help get you a job. The only thing that could be improved is if the 9 week class was split up into 2 levels like a slower pace and faster pace track.
    • Amazing Program
      Jack F  User Photo
      Jack F • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      As a student with basically no coding background at all, this course was incredible. The instructor explained abstract concepts in a clear way and emphasized pragmatic learning. I was thoroughly impressed with my progress.
    • Kyle  User Photo
      Kyle • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I was tired of working myself into the ground just to make ends meet. I always had an interest in tech but erroneously believed that every job required a bachelor's degree. I tried to learn on my own but always seemingly got sidetracked.

When I heard about TrueCoders I was very skeptical. At the time there were a lot of dark truths coming to light about the shady business practices of coding bootcamps. I set up a meeting with the school owner and the day I went to meet him I also met the person who would eventually become my instructor.

The program on paper seemed too good to be true but, being a third shift security guard at the time, I felt like I didn't have much to lose.

Everything I had been privately studying we had surpassed in the first week. It was so intense that there were nights I'd only sleep a few hours just to make sure I got my assignments done. The immersion really forced me to change the way I thought to thinking more programatically.

My instructor, possibly the best teacher I've ever had somehow taught me to teach myself which is an invaluable skill in this field.

By the end of the program I was having fun writing  my final project , a roguelike dungeon crawl, in Python.

Within a month I was hired by a staffing agency to go work at bbva. I suddenly had a job where people treated you as an adult. My pay had doubled. Continuing to learn on the job was invaluable.

I literally would have never had this opportunity if I hadn't given TrueCoders an opportunity.

Thank you Daniel and Chip!
      Jackson Griggs  User Photo
      Jackson Griggs • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TrueCoders is a technical school where I learned the basics of coding in less than 10 weeks, friendly enviroment, would 100% recommend for anyone trying to get into the Software Development Industry.

Nicholas Pickett  User Photo
      Nicholas Pickett • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

True Coders was a very great experience. Very interactive and informative. I would definitely reccommend for anyone who is looking to get into the software developing field.

Timothy Tidwell  User Photo
      Timothy Tidwell • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This is a great program providing assistance until you are hired as a developer! The community you can build within this class is amazing. Great atmosphere! Really is a good place to get your foot in the door as a developer no matter the age!

• Best experience
      Wahome Mwai  User Photo
      Wahome Mwai • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I learned more than I would have in my college. Great class and communitty, I'll miss these guys.

• Birmingham,AL
      Nathanial McCay  User Photo
      Nathanial McCay • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

They are a short 10 week program that make sure you learn the necessary requirements to get in the coding field and make you feel at home in the process. They will also work with recruiters and employers to get you a job.

• Great School
      Hunter Elam  User Photo
      Hunter Elam • Software Dev • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Speedy-Program that covers a large variety of skills and brings out talent and techinques in everyone in the classroom. Equall treatment across all boards when dealing with TrueCoders they really want you to learn code and how to be proffessional and to help YOU get a JOB!

• John William Jones III  User Photo
      John William Jones III • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Truly a lifechanging course to go through. The teachers are pleasant and knowledgable, the environment is friendly and encouraging, and ultimately goes by in a breeze.

Not to say the coursework is easy mind you, no the course is one of the most difficult I've ever gone through, but the teachers are there with you every step of the way.

10/10 would recommend to someone who even has a slight interest in coding, computers, or technology.

- 8/6/2019
      KaDarius  User Photo
      KaDarius • Quality Assurance Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Before starting at TrueCoders, I was in a sales role where I felt my talents weren't being nurtured or appreciated. After hearing about TrueCoders, I dove headfirst into one of the best decisions I've made thus far in life. Although challenging and at times somewhat impossible, progressing through the course not only taught me a new skill but also a different way of thinking in terms of tackling a difficult problem.

IT is a beautiful world in its own that many people who could and would be perfect in it never quite get to experience. TrueCoders molds you and grooms you into a quality programmer that can easily become an asset to any team in any space.

If you're intimidated by large classrooms or dread the thought of moving through semester after semester hoping you land a job in your field; TrueCoders can help! Software companies NEED bodies right now. There's no lack of jobs in the space, and tech is constantly growing in this field. It was my best decision to date, and I am grateful to all those involved in my development.

• Francesca Marciani  User Photo
      Francesca Marciani • Software Quality Assurance Tester • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

After leaving academia, I floated in a bizarre purgatory between two realms: "What I Know I Don't Want to Do" and "What Next?" I strung together a series of gig economy and tutoring part-time jobs, and dreamed of one day being able to use the term "full-time employee." I was bored with my current non-trajectory, desirous of a dynamic career, and hungry for a challenge.

Enter TrueCoders, right around when I was considering beginning my own, one-woman math tutoring endeavour. I had seen ads for tech bootcamps before, in cities like San Francisco, Austin, and New York -- all horrendously out of geographical reach and out of price range for someone with neither money nor experience to her name. Still, the idea of being a woman in software development intrigued me. I read stories of women who had left their jobs as teachers, librarians, academics -- all to enter the field of technology. They'd taken the leap, so why couldn't I? When I heard through trusted word of mouth about TrueCoders' high job placement rate and their devotion to sending their graduates into tech jobs (and not just jobs), I put on my best "Struggling Millennial" business casual outfit and went to meet with Daniel Walsh.

A year later, and here I am, one of those women with one of those origin stories. After six weeks of an intensive 8-week course, I had studied, clawed, and fought my way to C# competency, enough that a local company offered me a highly-paid internship position. I repeat: I interviewed with two amazing companies weeks before I had even completed the course, and that was enough to place me where I am today: a full-time employee for the same company, writing code, problem-solving, and destroying bugs. I get to tell people I work in tech, which -- let me tell you -- always feels good. I get to ride along in a field that is always changing and will never bore me, and I get to contribute my skills to software that serves a public good. TrueCoders, in essence, both returned to me my zest for life, and helped me to convert my imagination to reality.

But if you're reading this review, I'm betting that you couldn't care less about my ego. Let me tell you what makes TrueCoders a great launching point for your switch into tech:

• Small classes and individual attention. My class felt particularly special, as we were composed of overachievers who expected nothing but the best of ourselves. The instructor at the time, Cody Winton, recognized this and encouraged our unending thirst for improvement.

• Peer and instructor support. My classmates were interested in helping one another both inside and out of the classroom, some of them forming study groups after class. The level of caring for one another's success still stands out as unique in my long history of learning. However, Cody was also extremely willing to provide help one-on-one, and was never judgmental toward my struggles. The current instructors, Chip Elmer and Brandon Dowds, are genuinely patient, compassionate, and highly effective teachers, and will work tirelessly with you to fill in your knowledge gaps as you go.

• Job-hunting support. From Week 1, Daniel was there to ask us the kinds of companies we were interested in and the salary ranges we were looking for, and to provide us with resume templates. These resumes were reviewed and offered suggestions for improvement, and I learned how to market myself more efficiently. As we broadened our developer skills, Daniel began sending off our resumes to local companies and getting us interviews (!). I sat with him for a couple of mock interviews until I was ready to embark on the real thing. Additionally, throughout the course, he would give us tips for presenting ourselves: getting business cards, social networking on LinkedIn, and actively asking for informational calls. There were also multiple occasions on which representatives from various companies came to speak to the class and meet us, facilitating our network-building.

• Evolutionary. The course belongs to everyone in it, and both the instructors and Daniel are receptive (and responsive!) to feedback. Suggestions for how the course is run or for what kind of material is taught is never treated as arrogant or unwelcome. TrueCoders is adaptable and constantly evolving to meet students' needs, as they simultaneously keep an eye on the demands of the Birmingham tech market. They want you to graduate with the skills you need to enter the labor force as soon as possible.

• Outside interest. The need for skilled tech workers in Birmingham is high, and TrueCoders attracts a great deal of interest from companies in need of developers and support. TC is also wanted and welcomed by the local community for what it provides; for instance, I can remember a couple of occasions on which we were paid surprise visits by businesses, or by their free food samples!

• Community. Long after you've graduated from TrueCoders, you are remembered by your classmates and instructors alike. I have never passed up an opportunity to return to TC to meet (or attempt to assist) new students, catch up with old classmates, and chat with Daniel. Once you've graduated, there will always be a place for you. The giveback is also ongoing, as it's in everyone's best interest that you enjoy what you're doing. If you don't, you will be helped by TrueCoders in finding another job.

It's my hope that this review has been helpful -- and hopefully even a little inspiring -- to you. Now, kick off your shoes and jump in. Life waits for no one, so why wait for life?

• Steven Bustamento  User Photo
      Steven Bustamento • Web Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

At TrueCoders I went on a journey that took me from minor and various jobs in the service industry, without a degree, to ending up as a developer working in industry and working on a handful of side projects with the skillsets that I developed during my course.
      This course was fast paced, but with wonderful instruction and a strong curriculum that sets you up for success. My favorite part of what I learned in the course was I got comfortable solving problems in this world and through the course I got the fundamentals to teach myself and learn more in the tech world.

You couldnt ask to be around better people than at TrueCoders. They are dedicated to every students success, and work very hard to best position their students for success.

I met wonderful people at my time at TrueCoders, and learned so much. This 8 week course is fast paced, but if you put effort into it - you can definitely achieve!

• Serdar Yagci  User Photo
      Serdar Yagci • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TrueCoders gave me more than what I expected. I've was hired on at FIS here in Birmingham as Software Engineer. Job interview also is a big part and they'll teach you every step. YOU'LL NEVER BE DISAPPOINTED!

• Jacob Watson  User Photo
      Jacob Watson • Business Analyst and Automation Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      I went through the 8 week dev course, and was hired on at BBVA at graduation. I wish I could go through the course again just for fun. Daniel is a great guy and keeps everything fun
    • Web Developer
      - 6/28/2019
      Carlton Gannett  User Photo
      Carlton Gannett • Web Developer @ Healthgrades.com • Graduate Verified via GitHub

TRUECODERS IS AWESOME and will change your life

After going to the developer accelerator track I got a job making 60k+ a year without a college degree. They will help you and coach you through the whole process of finding a job. What's great about TrueCoders is the instructors: They are right there for when you don't understand something or you are missing something. Getting that push here and there when you aren't getting it will dramatically speed up your ability to learn programming and get a job.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PROGRAMMING OF ANY SORT  AND ARE THINKING ABOUT SIGNING UP - DO IT

• Brian • Student
      Before enrolling in TrueCoders, I had spent 9 years at Apple honing my people skills and working adjacent to the tech industry, but never really getting my hands directly into development. After deciding to pursue my dream career as a game developer, I founded a games studio and dove head first into learning the tools and programming languages I would need to make this dream a reality. That's where TrueCoders came in. I was recommended to TrueCoders by my brother Brandon, who had just completed the program and landed a great front-end development job in Birmingham. This course has really jump-started my personally journey to making my dream a reality, and the my future as a developer is now firmly in my own hands.
    • Awesome experience
      - 3/11/2020
      Nicholas Bridgeforth
      True coder is a great place to learn coding.
      The professors work with you until you understand the information. They make sure your comfortable with the lesson before moving on and they offer one on one help after class if needed. They also help with job placement and applications all around great experience.
      - 12/2/2019
      Ryan Smith • Software Developer • Graduate

TrueCoders is a fantastic program that teaches you the basics of coding, and is there to help you understand it. They're very supportive and will help you no matter what. TrueCoders is 100% committed on making sure you find the right developer job, and making sure it's the right job for you. I'm thankful that I have made many friends in my class, and I will miss them terribly. Highly recommend this course, and will always praise how amazing TrueCoders is. Cheers!

• Fun While Learning
      Charlie • Student

While the curriculum is taken seriously, it isn't often you can have so much fun in a class while also really learning. The projects guided us through the application of core programming principles that would have felt very abstract without them. The instructor was more than willing to slow down or speed up the cadence of the class depending on our understanding, in which the rigidity of other schools (i.e. college) can hinder the true learning experience. It was also clear how established the instructor already is in the world of programming and the desire to spread that wealth of knowledge is real. More than that, the camaraderie established in the class creates a community of like minded individuals that completely round out the experience and always give you a fallback if you need additional assistance. I've recommended this class to all my friends and would recommend it to anyone who wants to better their programming skills.