TrueCoders is a software development bootcamp based in Birmingham, Alabama, which offers an intensive full-time 9-week course or a part-time 6-month evening course. Both courses cover C#, .NET, Java, the ASP.NET MVC framework, relational databases like SQL, webkit based debuggers VPN, RDP and a basic working knowledge of networking and file permissions. TrueCoders also specializes in source control and students will receive in-depth instruction on Git. TrueCoders aims to provide new coders with the tools needed to find a position in the digital job market including marketable skills, career navigation, and a support community.
TrueCoders is meant for career switchers and those with no prior programming experience who wish to enter the tech industry. The application process for both classes begins by scheduling an interview online. A member of their staff will soon follow up with a call. If accepted, students are required to learn onsite at their Birmingham or Auburn campuses.
Before graduation, TrueCoders prepare their students for the job market by improving their resumes, helping them create networking opportunities, and hosting practice interviews. TrueCoders also focuses on communication skills and teaches students how to leverage connections they may have in the tech industry (including fellow students). TrueCoders actively fosters community and friendship with weekly social activities in and out of the classroom such as soccer matches or laser tag. After graduation, the TrueCoders placement team works with graduates to make introductions, set up interviews, coaching before interviews sending out job applications.
Recent TrueCoders Reviews: Rating 4.93
Recent TrueCoders News
In PersonPart Time6 Hours/week26 Weeks
Start Date None scheduled Cost $9,500 Class size 20 Location Auburn, Birmingham, HuntsvilleLearn software development with enterprise technology in 6 months The schedule for this course is either Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesday and Thursdays. Classes meet from 6:30pm - 8:30PM. Lab is on Friday from 5:30pm-8:30pm 2 hours of lab is required. Our next class starts September 2nd 2019. The class cost $9500 for the full 6 months of training and includes our placement team working during the 6 months and after with you full-time until you’ve been placed in a developer position. Financing options are available.
Deposit 10% FinancingWe offer financing through Climb Credit and SkillsFund
Minimum Skill Level None Prep Work We assign prep work to each student before joining Placement Test Yes Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost $9,500 Class size 20 Location Auburn, Birmingham, HuntsvilleThe 9-week full-time course covers C#, .NET, Java, the ASP.NET MVC framework, relational databases like SQL, webkit based debuggers VPN, RDP and a basic working knowledge of networking and file permissions.
Deposit N/A FinancingFinancing available via SkillsFund & Climb Credit
Minimum Skill Level None Prep Work We assign prep work to each student before joining Placement Test No Interview Yes
41 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
- Jackson Griggs • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via GitHub
- Student- 11/7/2019Nicholas Pickett • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Timothy Tidwell • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Best experience- 11/7/2019Wahome Mwai • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Birmingham,AL- 11/7/2019Nathanial McCay • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Great School- 11/7/2019Hunter Elam • Software Dev • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
Speedy-Program that covers a large variety of skills and brings out talent and techinques in everyone in the classroom. Equall treatment across all boards when dealing with TrueCoders they really want you to learn code and how to be proffessional and to help YOU get a JOB!
- TrueCoders - 8/20/19- 8/20/2019John William Jones III • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
Truly a lifechanging course to go through. The teachers are pleasant and knowledgable, the environment is friendly and encouraging, and ultimately goes by in a breeze.
Not to say the coursework is easy mind you, no the course is one of the most difficult I've ever gone through, but the teachers are there with you every step of the way.
10/10 would recommend to someone who even has a slight interest in coding, computers, or technology.
- TrueCoders- 8/6/2019KaDarius • Quality Assurance Engineer • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
Before starting at TrueCoders, I was in a sales role where I felt my talents weren't being nurtured or appreciated. After hearing about TrueCoders, I dove headfirst into one of the best decisions I've made thus far in life. Although challenging and at times somewhat impossible, progressing through the course not only taught me a new skill but also a different way of thinking in terms of tackling a difficult problem.
IT is a beautiful world in its own that many people who could and would be perfect in it never quite get to experience. TrueCoders molds you and grooms you into a quality programmer that can easily become an asset to any team in any space.
If you're intimidated by large classrooms or dread the thought of moving through semester after semester hoping you land a job in your field; TrueCoders can help! Software companies NEED bodies right now. There's no lack of jobs in the space, and tech is constantly growing in this field. It was my best decision to date, and I am grateful to all those involved in my development.
- Francesca Marciani • Software Quality Assurance Tester • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
After leaving academia, I floated in a bizarre purgatory between two realms: "What I Know I Don't Want to Do" and "What Next?" I strung together a series of gig economy and tutoring part-time jobs, and dreamed of one day being able to use the term "full-time employee." I was bored with my current non-trajectory, desirous of a dynamic career, and hungry for a challenge.
Enter TrueCoders, right around when I was considering beginning my own, one-woman math tutoring endeavour. I had seen ads for tech bootcamps before, in cities like San Francisco, Austin, and New York -- all horrendously out of geographical reach and out of price range for someone with neither money nor experience to her name. Still, the idea of being a woman in software development intrigued me. I read stories of women who had left their jobs as teachers, librarians, academics -- all to enter the field of technology. They'd taken the leap, so why couldn't I? When I heard through trusted word of mouth about TrueCoders' high job placement rate and their devotion to sending their graduates into tech jobs (and not just jobs), I put on my best "Struggling Millennial" business casual outfit and went to meet with Daniel Walsh.
A year later, and here I am, one of those women with one of those origin stories. After six weeks of an intensive 8-week course, I had studied, clawed, and fought my way to C# competency, enough that a local company offered me a highly-paid internship position. I repeat: I interviewed with two amazing companies weeks before I had even completed the course, and that was enough to place me where I am today: a full-time employee for the same company, writing code, problem-solving, and destroying bugs. I get to tell people I work in tech, which -- let me tell you -- always feels good. I get to ride along in a field that is always changing and will never bore me, and I get to contribute my skills to software that serves a public good. TrueCoders, in essence, both returned to me my zest for life, and helped me to convert my imagination to reality.
But if you're reading this review, I'm betting that you couldn't care less about my ego. Let me tell you what makes TrueCoders a great launching point for your switch into tech:
- Small classes and individual attention. My class felt particularly special, as we were composed of overachievers who expected nothing but the best of ourselves. The instructor at the time, Cody Winton, recognized this and encouraged our unending thirst for improvement.
- Peer and instructor support. My classmates were interested in helping one another both inside and out of the classroom, some of them forming study groups after class. The level of caring for one another's success still stands out as unique in my long history of learning. However, Cody was also extremely willing to provide help one-on-one, and was never judgmental toward my struggles. The current instructors, Chip Elmer and Brandon Dowds, are genuinely patient, compassionate, and highly effective teachers, and will work tirelessly with you to fill in your knowledge gaps as you go.
- Job-hunting support. From Week 1, Daniel was there to ask us the kinds of companies we were interested in and the salary ranges we were looking for, and to provide us with resume templates. These resumes were reviewed and offered suggestions for improvement, and I learned how to market myself more efficiently. As we broadened our developer skills, Daniel began sending off our resumes to local companies and getting us interviews (!). I sat with him for a couple of mock interviews until I was ready to embark on the real thing. Additionally, throughout the course, he would give us tips for presenting ourselves: getting business cards, social networking on LinkedIn, and actively asking for informational calls. There were also multiple occasions on which representatives from various companies came to speak to the class and meet us, facilitating our network-building.
- Evolutionary. The course belongs to everyone in it, and both the instructors and Daniel are receptive (and responsive!) to feedback. Suggestions for how the course is run or for what kind of material is taught is never treated as arrogant or unwelcome. TrueCoders is adaptable and constantly evolving to meet students' needs, as they simultaneously keep an eye on the demands of the Birmingham tech market. They want you to graduate with the skills you need to enter the labor force as soon as possible.
- Outside interest. The need for skilled tech workers in Birmingham is high, and TrueCoders attracts a great deal of interest from companies in need of developers and support. TC is also wanted and welcomed by the local community for what it provides; for instance, I can remember a couple of occasions on which we were paid surprise visits by businesses, or by their free food samples!
- Community. Long after you've graduated from TrueCoders, you are remembered by your classmates and instructors alike. I have never passed up an opportunity to return to TC to meet (or attempt to assist) new students, catch up with old classmates, and chat with Daniel. Once you've graduated, there will always be a place for you. The giveback is also ongoing, as it's in everyone's best interest that you enjoy what you're doing. If you don't, you will be helped by TrueCoders in finding another job.
It's my hope that this review has been helpful -- and hopefully even a little inspiring -- to you. Now, kick off your shoes and jump in. Life waits for no one, so why wait for life?
- TrueCoders helped me change my life- 7/1/2019Steven Bustamento • Web Engineer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
At TrueCoders I went on a journey that took me from minor and various jobs in the service industry, without a degree, to ending up as a developer working in industry and working on a handful of side projects with the skillsets that I developed during my course.
This course was fast paced, but with wonderful instruction and a strong curriculum that sets you up for success. My favorite part of what I learned in the course was I got comfortable solving problems in this world and through the course I got the fundamentals to teach myself and learn more in the tech world.
You couldnt ask to be around better people than at TrueCoders. They are dedicated to every students success, and work very hard to best position their students for success.
I met wonderful people at my time at TrueCoders, and learned so much. This 8 week course is fast paced, but if you put effort into it - you can definitely achieve!
- TRUECODERS made my dream TRUE!- 7/1/2019Serdar Yagci • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- A great course with great people- 6/29/2019Jacob Watson • Business Analyst and Automation Engineer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Web Developer- 6/28/2019Carlton Gannett • Web Developer @ Healthgrades.com • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via GitHub
TRUECODERS IS AWESOME and will change your life
After going to the developer accelerator track I got a job making 60k+ a year without a college degree. They will help you and coach you through the whole process of finding a job. What's great about TrueCoders is the instructors: They are right there for when you don't understand something or you are missing something. Getting that push here and there when you aren't getting it will dramatically speed up your ability to learn programming and get a job.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PROGRAMMING OF ANY SORT AND ARE THINKING ABOUT SIGNING UP - DO IT
- TrueCoders- 12/2/2019Ryan Smith • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Auburn
TrueCoders is a fantastic program that teaches you the basics of coding, and is there to help you understand it. They're very supportive and will help you no matter what. TrueCoders is 100% committed on making sure you find the right developer job, and making sure it's the right job for you. I'm thankful that I have made many friends in my class, and I will miss them terribly. Highly recommend this course, and will always praise how amazing TrueCoders is. Cheers!
- Fun While Learning- 11/7/2019Charlie • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
While the curriculum is taken seriously, it isn't often you can have so much fun in a class while also really learning. The projects guided us through the application of core programming principles that would have felt very abstract without them. The instructor was more than willing to slow down or speed up the cadence of the class depending on our understanding, in which the rigidity of other schools (i.e. college) can hinder the true learning experience. It was also clear how established the instructor already is in the world of programming and the desire to spread that wealth of knowledge is real. More than that, the camaraderie established in the class creates a community of like minded individuals that completely round out the experience and always give you a fallback if you need additional assistance. I've recommended this class to all my friends and would recommend it to anyone who wants to better their programming skills.
- Highly Recommend- 11/7/2019Stefano • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
These guys are awesome. They are very knowledgeable and make learning code enjoyable. Well as enjoyable as ;earn code can be. It’s an intense project base training course that touches several languages. If you put in the effort, they will set you up to succeed. They’re job placement is second to none. From resumé assistance to putting you in front of recruiters. If you are looking for a fast track into the world of coding. I can highly recommend TrueCoders.
- James • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
I am graduating from TrueCoders this Friday! It has been an amazing experience and I have learned a ton while doing it. There are a couple of things that set this bootcamp apart from other bootcamps in Birmingham. First, this bootcamp has an actual classroom with real teachers that are there in person for you to interact with. Not just a collection of online courses and coursework. Second, there is a very strong focus on job placement, interview prep, resume prep, and just general professionalism. There are a couple of staff members that are there solely to prepare you to succeed in the professional world. About five of the other graduates already have jobs and the class isn't even over yet. All in all I have learned a ton and feel ready to interview for jobs in the tech world. It has been a great experience.
- Amazing- 11/7/2019John Clark • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
My accolades to Chip Elmer, Daniel Walsh, Mike Doyle, Nathan Rice, Will Jones, Tanner Riddle, Brandon Dowds and Aziza Hurt. These are the people who helped change my life. I owe them my confidence, my skill, and my loyalty. TrueCoders is more than a bootcamp. They provide more than a service, they provide a family. Thank you TrueCoders; may your code stay dry and documentation stay clear.
- Incredible Program- 11/7/2019Wesley Hendon • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
TrueCoders is a fantastic course for anyone who is either brand new to the tech field, or already has some previous programming experience. It is not an easy course for either level of experience!
The course goes beyond just lessons by incorporating 4-6 technical projects throughout the course, which is a great way to implement everything you will learn during class. The projects also help fill out your resume, which will help greatly in job placement.
Speaking of job placement, the folks at TrueCoders are incredibly committed to helping every single student find a job, both during your 10 weeks (or 6 months for the longer course), and after the course as well. I'm graduating tomorrow, but my experience with TrueCoders is not even close to being over! I will be coming in every day after graduation for job placement assistance, which other bootcamps might not be as comfortable with.
- Software Development & Database Management- 11/7/2019Don Thomason • Operations Executive/Business Owner/Entrepreneur • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
I highly recommend TrueCoders for anyone in the Birmingham and Auburn areas and soon to be Huntsville, Alabama.
Regardless of your coding experience and learning style, the program and instructors will support and challenge your development in order for you to continue enhancing your skills and knowledge while adding value to your employer or your own personal business goals.
- BootCamp Birmingham- 11/7/2019Patrick • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
My class was made up of about 25 students ranging in age from 18 to 60. Some, like me, are changing career paths. Others students grew up around coding or didn't want to go the traditional college route.
I chose the 10 week daytime course, though TrueCoders also offers a 6 month evening course. Either way, know that you will be covering a lot if information very rapidly. It is hard! You will be frustrated. You will doubt your decision to enroll. You will wonder if coding is right for you. However, if you stick it out, it gets better. Concepts begin to gel and the different components come together.
It takes a big investment of both money and time. It's worth it. A lot of my fellow student s landed jobs before graduation. I'm confident my turn will come. TrueCoders will stand with you until you do.These are good people who really want you to be successful.
- Great School- 11/7/2019Charleston • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
- Full Stack Development- 11/7/2019Matthew Welch • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
I attended TrueCoders during the Mark 9 Class at the main campus in Birmingham and I will say that if you want to get into software development , THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!! Daniel Walsh is an amazing guy and will help you in anyway you need. Michael is a great instructor and is their with you through the whole process from day one. I highly recommend True Coders!
- Chris A. • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
I researched several boot camps that would teach back end skills that are in demand. I had seen a TrueCoders advertisement and a few people suggested I reach out to them. Daniel replied to me within the hour and we were sitting down the next day. All of my questions were answered and it has been a good decision. The work is challenging but they provide you plenty of resources. The staff is very friendly and well-connected when it comes time to network and find that first job. They help you with resume, LinkedIn profiles, and interviewing skills. It's a very good value.
- student- 8/20/2019Kris Dixon • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
I was worried before I started that I would not understand anything or be able to keep up during class, but that was unfounded. The instructors take the time to make sure you fully understand the material and encourage questions and are willing to work with students after class hours. I feel much more confident in my coding abilities after these 10 weeks. TrueCoders also makes sure that students are ready for job interviews and I feel confident that I will soon land a job after graduating. After going through TrueCoders, I do not see how people would be able to learn as much through on line bootcamps.