TrueCoders is a software development bootcamp based in Birmingham, Alabama, which offers an intensive full-time 9-week course or a part-time 6-month evening course. Both courses cover C#, .NET, Java, the ASP.NET MVC framework, relational databases like SQL, webkit based debuggers VPN, RDP and a basic working knowledge of networking and file permissions. TrueCoders also specializes in source control and students will receive in-depth instruction on Git. TrueCoders aims to provide new coders with the tools needed to find a position in the digital job market including marketable skills, career navigation, and a support community.
TrueCoders is meant for career switchers and those with no prior programming experience who wish to enter the tech industry. The application process for both classes begins by scheduling an interview online. A member of their staff will soon follow up with a call. If accepted, students are required to learn onsite at their Birmingham or Auburn campuses.
Before graduation, TrueCoders prepare their students for the job market by improving their resumes, helping them create networking opportunities, and hosting practice interviews. TrueCoders also focuses on communication skills and teaches students how to leverage connections they may have in the tech industry (including fellow students). TrueCoders actively fosters community and friendship with weekly social activities in and out of the classroom such as soccer matches or laser tag. After graduation, the TrueCoders placement team works with graduates to make introductions, set up interviews, coaching before interviews sending out job applications.
Recent TrueCoders Reviews: Rating 4.94
Recent TrueCoders News
In PersonPart Time6 Hours/week26 Weeks
Start Date None scheduled Cost $9,500 Class size 20 Location Auburn, Birmingham, HuntsvilleLearn software development with enterprise technology in 6 months The schedule for this course is either Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesday and Thursdays. Classes meet from 6:30pm - 8:30PM. Lab is on Friday from 5:30pm-8:30pm 2 hours of lab is required. Our next class starts September 2nd 2019. The class cost $9500 for the full 6 months of training and includes our placement team working during the 6 months and after with you full-time until you’ve been placed in a developer position. Financing options are available.
Deposit 10% FinancingWe offer financing through Climb Credit and SkillsFund
Minimum Skill Level None Prep Work We assign prep work to each student before joining Placement Test Yes Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost $9,500 Class size 20 Location Auburn, Birmingham, HuntsvilleThe 9-week full-time course covers C#, .NET, Java, the ASP.NET MVC framework, relational databases like SQL, webkit based debuggers VPN, RDP and a basic working knowledge of networking and file permissions.
Deposit N/A FinancingFinancing available via SkillsFund & Climb Credit
Minimum Skill Level None Prep Work We assign prep work to each student before joining Placement Test No Interview Yes
51 reviews sorted by:
- Only Applicants, Students, and Graduates are permitted to leave reviews on Course Report.
- Post clear, valuable, and honest information that will be useful and informative to future coding bootcampers. Think about what your bootcamp excelled at and what might have been better.
- Be nice to others; don't attack others.
- Use good grammar and check your spelling.
- Don't post reviews on behalf of other students or impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity.
- Don't spam or post fake reviews intended to boost or lower ratings.
- Don't post or link to content that is sexually explicit.
- Don't post or link to content that is abusive or hateful or threatens or harasses others.
- Please do not submit duplicate or multiple reviews. These will be deleted. Email moderators to revise a review or click the link in the email you receive when submitting a review.
- Please note that we reserve the right to review and remove commentary that violates our policies.
Click here to log in or sign up and continue.
- Career Change for the Better- 3/27/2020Juody Bun • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Huntsville • Verified via LinkedInI graduated a few weeks ago from the first TrueCoders class of the Huntsville location. It was refreshing to be surrounded by like-minded individuals who were passionate about technology and coding. From day one, I knew my future success was a priority. The curriculum was adapted to meet the demands of current technologies utilized in the industry. Job assistance workshops on a weekly basis and opportunities for extended learning for specific topics when available are offered to both current and former students.
While the extensive content in the course provided the building blocks of knowledge I needed to enter a career with confidence, it was my instructor Cruz who provided the greatest example for achievement. He is a hard-working individual who deeply cares about each of his students. His devotion and encouraging attitude helped me push through the hardest parts of the course. He has even assisted me after the course to ensure that my job searching is going well. As I continue to interview, I remain confident that I will secure a position soon as a software developer. TrueCoders taught me to view everything as a life lesson and I recommend the program to anyone who seeks an exciting career in the coding industry.
- TrueCoders Reiew- 3/13/2020Andrew McMahon • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedInThe team at TrueCoders definitely cares about your success and will put in time to help you learn baseline coding principles and skills to find a job. The in-person aspect of the class is definitely desirable, as almost all real-world programming jobs will involve a team-oriented setting, and in addition you get grouped with other ambitious and intelligent young developers from whom you can learn. I highly recommend considering TrueCoders if you are looking to get your foot in the door in the programming world.
- An amazing piece of my life- 3/13/2020Ryan • Graduate • Campus: Huntsville • Verified via LinkedInTrueCoders is amazing bootcamp, it got me back into programming like I wanted to. Cruz is honestly one of my favorite teachers I've ever had, he puts his all into teaching you the material. He goes above and beyond what I expected going into this class. I'm very happy I met him and took this class.
- Great Teaching- 3/13/2020Michael Cerase • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Huntsville • Verified via LinkedInI loved my time at TrueCoders, it offered a great structure to learn new programming techniques as well as a teamwork environment to learn professionally. Now we are moving on to really hitting the job assistance and I look forward to kickstarting my career!
- Surprising Experience- 3/13/2020Forrest • Opportunity Seeker • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedInStarting the program I was hesitant about how much I would actually be able to learn in an 8 week period. On my first day I didn't even know how to write a "Hello World" statement, but at the end of the program I was completing projects I never thought I would be able to.
- TrueCoders Review- 3/13/2020John • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via GitHubTrueCoders is a very unique coding program which not only teaches programming but also HOW to get a job in the industry. And unlike many other coding bootcamps you are not only able but encouraged to continue to work with all the staff to help get you a job. The only thing that could be improved is if the 9 week class was split up into 2 levels like a slower pace and faster pace track.
- Amazing Program- 3/13/2020Jack F • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Absolutely changed my life- 2/17/2020Kyle • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedInI was tired of working myself into the ground just to make ends meet. I always had an interest in tech but erroneously believed that every job required a bachelor's degree. I tried to learn on my own but always seemingly got sidetracked.
When I heard about TrueCoders I was very skeptical. At the time there were a lot of dark truths coming to light about the shady business practices of coding bootcamps. I set up a meeting with the school owner and the day I went to meet him I also met the person who would eventually become my instructor.
The program on paper seemed too good to be true but, being a third shift security guard at the time, I felt like I didn't have much to lose.
Everything I had been privately studying we had surpassed in the first week. It was so intense that there were nights I'd only sleep a few hours just to make sure I got my assignments done. The immersion really forced me to change the way I thought to thinking more programatically.
My instructor, possibly the best teacher I've ever had somehow taught me to teach myself which is an invaluable skill in this field.
By the end of the program I was having fun writing my final project , a roguelike dungeon crawl, in Python.
Within a month I was hired by a staffing agency to go work at bbva. I suddenly had a job where people treated you as an adult. My pay had doubled. Continuing to learn on the job was invaluable.
I literally would have never had this opportunity if I hadn't given TrueCoders an opportunity.
Thank you Daniel and Chip!
- TrueCoders- 11/7/2019Jackson Griggs • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via GitHub
- Student- 11/7/2019Nicholas Pickett • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- TrueCoders- 11/7/2019Timothy Tidwell • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Best experience- 11/7/2019Wahome Mwai • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Birmingham,AL- 11/7/2019Nathanial McCay • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Great School- 11/7/2019Hunter Elam • Software Dev • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
Speedy-Program that covers a large variety of skills and brings out talent and techinques in everyone in the classroom. Equall treatment across all boards when dealing with TrueCoders they really want you to learn code and how to be proffessional and to help YOU get a JOB!
- TrueCoders - 8/20/19- 8/20/2019John William Jones III • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
Truly a lifechanging course to go through. The teachers are pleasant and knowledgable, the environment is friendly and encouraging, and ultimately goes by in a breeze.
Not to say the coursework is easy mind you, no the course is one of the most difficult I've ever gone through, but the teachers are there with you every step of the way.
10/10 would recommend to someone who even has a slight interest in coding, computers, or technology.
- TrueCoders- 8/6/2019KaDarius • Quality Assurance Engineer • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
Before starting at TrueCoders, I was in a sales role where I felt my talents weren't being nurtured or appreciated. After hearing about TrueCoders, I dove headfirst into one of the best decisions I've made thus far in life. Although challenging and at times somewhat impossible, progressing through the course not only taught me a new skill but also a different way of thinking in terms of tackling a difficult problem.
IT is a beautiful world in its own that many people who could and would be perfect in it never quite get to experience. TrueCoders molds you and grooms you into a quality programmer that can easily become an asset to any team in any space.
If you're intimidated by large classrooms or dread the thought of moving through semester after semester hoping you land a job in your field; TrueCoders can help! Software companies NEED bodies right now. There's no lack of jobs in the space, and tech is constantly growing in this field. It was my best decision to date, and I am grateful to all those involved in my development.
- Francesca Marciani • Software Quality Assurance Tester • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
After leaving academia, I floated in a bizarre purgatory between two realms: "What I Know I Don't Want to Do" and "What Next?" I strung together a series of gig economy and tutoring part-time jobs, and dreamed of one day being able to use the term "full-time employee." I was bored with my current non-trajectory, desirous of a dynamic career, and hungry for a challenge.
Enter TrueCoders, right around when I was considering beginning my own, one-woman math tutoring endeavour. I had seen ads for tech bootcamps before, in cities like San Francisco, Austin, and New York -- all horrendously out of geographical reach and out of price range for someone with neither money nor experience to her name. Still, the idea of being a woman in software development intrigued me. I read stories of women who had left their jobs as teachers, librarians, academics -- all to enter the field of technology. They'd taken the leap, so why couldn't I? When I heard through trusted word of mouth about TrueCoders' high job placement rate and their devotion to sending their graduates into tech jobs (and not just jobs), I put on my best "Struggling Millennial" business casual outfit and went to meet with Daniel Walsh.
A year later, and here I am, one of those women with one of those origin stories. After six weeks of an intensive 8-week course, I had studied, clawed, and fought my way to C# competency, enough that a local company offered me a highly-paid internship position. I repeat: I interviewed with two amazing companies weeks before I had even completed the course, and that was enough to place me where I am today: a full-time employee for the same company, writing code, problem-solving, and destroying bugs. I get to tell people I work in tech, which -- let me tell you -- always feels good. I get to ride along in a field that is always changing and will never bore me, and I get to contribute my skills to software that serves a public good. TrueCoders, in essence, both returned to me my zest for life, and helped me to convert my imagination to reality.
But if you're reading this review, I'm betting that you couldn't care less about my ego. Let me tell you what makes TrueCoders a great launching point for your switch into tech:
- Small classes and individual attention. My class felt particularly special, as we were composed of overachievers who expected nothing but the best of ourselves. The instructor at the time, Cody Winton, recognized this and encouraged our unending thirst for improvement.
- Peer and instructor support. My classmates were interested in helping one another both inside and out of the classroom, some of them forming study groups after class. The level of caring for one another's success still stands out as unique in my long history of learning. However, Cody was also extremely willing to provide help one-on-one, and was never judgmental toward my struggles. The current instructors, Chip Elmer and Brandon Dowds, are genuinely patient, compassionate, and highly effective teachers, and will work tirelessly with you to fill in your knowledge gaps as you go.
- Job-hunting support. From Week 1, Daniel was there to ask us the kinds of companies we were interested in and the salary ranges we were looking for, and to provide us with resume templates. These resumes were reviewed and offered suggestions for improvement, and I learned how to market myself more efficiently. As we broadened our developer skills, Daniel began sending off our resumes to local companies and getting us interviews (!). I sat with him for a couple of mock interviews until I was ready to embark on the real thing. Additionally, throughout the course, he would give us tips for presenting ourselves: getting business cards, social networking on LinkedIn, and actively asking for informational calls. There were also multiple occasions on which representatives from various companies came to speak to the class and meet us, facilitating our network-building.
- Evolutionary. The course belongs to everyone in it, and both the instructors and Daniel are receptive (and responsive!) to feedback. Suggestions for how the course is run or for what kind of material is taught is never treated as arrogant or unwelcome. TrueCoders is adaptable and constantly evolving to meet students' needs, as they simultaneously keep an eye on the demands of the Birmingham tech market. They want you to graduate with the skills you need to enter the labor force as soon as possible.
- Outside interest. The need for skilled tech workers in Birmingham is high, and TrueCoders attracts a great deal of interest from companies in need of developers and support. TC is also wanted and welcomed by the local community for what it provides; for instance, I can remember a couple of occasions on which we were paid surprise visits by businesses, or by their free food samples!
- Community. Long after you've graduated from TrueCoders, you are remembered by your classmates and instructors alike. I have never passed up an opportunity to return to TC to meet (or attempt to assist) new students, catch up with old classmates, and chat with Daniel. Once you've graduated, there will always be a place for you. The giveback is also ongoing, as it's in everyone's best interest that you enjoy what you're doing. If you don't, you will be helped by TrueCoders in finding another job.
It's my hope that this review has been helpful -- and hopefully even a little inspiring -- to you. Now, kick off your shoes and jump in. Life waits for no one, so why wait for life?
- TrueCoders helped me change my life- 7/1/2019Steven Bustamento • Web Engineer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
At TrueCoders I went on a journey that took me from minor and various jobs in the service industry, without a degree, to ending up as a developer working in industry and working on a handful of side projects with the skillsets that I developed during my course.
This course was fast paced, but with wonderful instruction and a strong curriculum that sets you up for success. My favorite part of what I learned in the course was I got comfortable solving problems in this world and through the course I got the fundamentals to teach myself and learn more in the tech world.
You couldnt ask to be around better people than at TrueCoders. They are dedicated to every students success, and work very hard to best position their students for success.
I met wonderful people at my time at TrueCoders, and learned so much. This 8 week course is fast paced, but if you put effort into it - you can definitely achieve!
- TRUECODERS made my dream TRUE!- 7/1/2019Serdar Yagci • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- A great course with great people- 6/29/2019Jacob Watson • Business Analyst and Automation Engineer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via LinkedIn
- Web Developer- 6/28/2019Carlton Gannett • Web Developer @ Healthgrades.com • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham • Verified via GitHub
TRUECODERS IS AWESOME and will change your life
After going to the developer accelerator track I got a job making 60k+ a year without a college degree. They will help you and coach you through the whole process of finding a job. What's great about TrueCoders is the instructors: They are right there for when you don't understand something or you are missing something. Getting that push here and there when you aren't getting it will dramatically speed up your ability to learn programming and get a job.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PROGRAMMING OF ANY SORT AND ARE THINKING ABOUT SIGNING UP - DO IT
- Excellent Experience- 3/13/2020Brian • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: BirminghamBefore enrolling in TrueCoders, I had spent 9 years at Apple honing my people skills and working adjacent to the tech industry, but never really getting my hands directly into development. After deciding to pursue my dream career as a game developer, I founded a games studio and dove head first into learning the tools and programming languages I would need to make this dream a reality. That's where TrueCoders came in. I was recommended to TrueCoders by my brother Brandon, who had just completed the program and landed a great front-end development job in Birmingham. This course has really jump-started my personally journey to making my dream a reality, and the my future as a developer is now firmly in my own hands.
- Awesome experience- 3/11/2020Nicholas Bridgeforth • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: HuntsvilleTrue coder is a great place to learn coding.
The professors work with you until you understand the information. They make sure your comfortable with the lesson before moving on and they offer one on one help after class if needed. They also help with job placement and applications all around great experience.
- TrueCoders- 12/2/2019Ryan Smith • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Auburn
TrueCoders is a fantastic program that teaches you the basics of coding, and is there to help you understand it. They're very supportive and will help you no matter what. TrueCoders is 100% committed on making sure you find the right developer job, and making sure it's the right job for you. I'm thankful that I have made many friends in my class, and I will miss them terribly. Highly recommend this course, and will always praise how amazing TrueCoders is. Cheers!
- Fun While Learning- 11/7/2019Charlie • Student • Course: Software Engineering Track • Campus: Birmingham
While the curriculum is taken seriously, it isn't often you can have so much fun in a class while also really learning. The projects guided us through the application of core programming principles that would have felt very abstract without them. The instructor was more than willing to slow down or speed up the cadence of the class depending on our understanding, in which the rigidity of other schools (i.e. college) can hinder the true learning experience. It was also clear how established the instructor already is in the world of programming and the desire to spread that wealth of knowledge is real. More than that, the camaraderie established in the class creates a community of like minded individuals that completely round out the experience and always give you a fallback if you need additional assistance. I've recommended this class to all my friends and would recommend it to anyone who wants to better their programming skills.