spiced-academy-logo

SPICED Academy

Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg

SPICED Academy

SPICED Academy offers full-time, 12-week coding bootcamps and data science bootcamps in Berlin, Germany. The Full Stack Web Development program covers JavaScript, HTML, CSS, jQuery, MV Frameworks, NodeJS, and SQL. The data science bootcamp teaches data analysis in Python, machine learning, data visualization, SQL, noSQL, data infrastructure, and GitHub. Students will learn vital skills like effective communication, problem-solving, and self-awareness.

Prospective applicants will participate in a 60-80 hour prep course, finishing with an assessment that is part of the selective application process.

Working with experienced teachers, SPICED Academy students will receive an extensive education and unique industry insights. In addition to programming, students also learn personal and professional development skills in self-awareness and career development. Students will build a portfolio, get interview tips, and create a resume that will get them noticed. After graduation, students have the opportunity to meet SPICED Academy partners, with the aim of getting jobs as junior software developers.

Recent SPICED Academy Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (58) reviews for SPICED Academy →

Recent SPICED Academy News

Read all (5) articles about SPICED Academy →

LocationCologne
    Unser projektbasierter Lehrplan ist flexibel, um einer Vielzahl von Interessen gerecht zu werden, und so konzipiert, dass du mit Kompetenzen ausgestattet wirst, die sich auch in 5 Jahren noch auszahlen werden.
    Unsere Data Science Kurse in Deutschland sind zertifiziert für den Bildungsgutschein der Agentur für Arbeit.

LocationHamburg

LocationBerlin
    Our Data Science Program is a full-time, 12 week intensive course based on-site in Berlin. You will develop all the skills needed to begin a successful career as a data scientist; known as “the sexiest job of the 21st century”. Our rigorous course will hone your abilities in Pythonprogramming, pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PostGreS, MongoDB, Docker, data visualization andmore. You will complete exciting projects each week, individually and in small teams, allowing you to learn the most effective way there is: by doing.
    Payment plans available
    Minimum Skill LevelFamiliarity with mathematic concepts
    Prep Work40 - 60 hours
  • Full Stack Web Development

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js
    LocationCologne
    Unser 12-wöchiges Full Stack Web Development Bootcamp gibt dir die nötigen Werkzeuge an die Hand, und vermittelt dir die nachgefragtesten Technologien des Markts, damit du nach dem Abschluss eine schnelle Karriere als Web Entwickler*in starten kannst.
    Unsere Webdevelopment Kurse in Deutschland sind zertifiziert für den Bildungsgutschein der Agentur für Arbeit.
  • Full Stack Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationBerlin
    The full stack web development program covers JavaScript, Python, HTML, CSS, jQuery, MV Frameworks, NodeJS, and SQL. Classes are 9am to 6pm, 5 days per week.
    Options available
    Prep Work40 - 80 Hour preparation course material is provided.
    - 1/19/2017
    Thilo • Graduate

I always wanted to learn how to code, made several attempts with online coding schools but never got very far. Therefore after long considerations, I finally decided to enrol in a coding bootcamp. I can only say I have not regretted my decision for even one moment.

I joined SPICED in the second cohort and was impressed by how quickly I was able to program pretty complex things. Their curriculum focuses plainly on JavaScript, which makes a lot of sense in my opinion. That leaves enough room to really learn the language and not just a few frameworks. We were taught JavaScript the hard way, by first doing challenges in vanilla JavaScript before later learning how much easier it can be done with a library or framework. That way I feel comfortable to program almost anything I want in JavaScript or pick up any new framework by myself, which I have already done quite a few times.

• Moaaz Ashour • Student

I still remember the first time I met Shilpa, the Director of Programms and Community at SPICED, for the first time after she gave me an appointment to check out SPICED HQ.

She was so friendly, so was Frederik, SPICED CEO and Founder, and David, CTO and Head Coach.

From day 1, David, the most godly-skilled head coach I've ever met, started the course with full enthusiasm. He's just so good in delivering the information and let'em sink in! As of every single day of the course, he kept teaching us in a way that feel that he is giving his 100%. Besides his JavaScript-every-couple-days-fifteen-minutes-theoritical portion, he always have practical challenges for us; what is called white board challenges. Prepare yourself also for the most common interview questions for developers he will train you for.

Day in day out, we programmed and built awesome apps using the lastes frameworks, libraries and technologies. All what I can say about that is you have to be prepared for an instensive 9 hours of programming every day that you wish you had before (if you are really willing to learn). In my experience, I would spend three months in an intensive bootcamp rather spending, at least, tripple the amount of time watching free online courses, even paid ones! I did that before I went to SPICED and I wouldn't say that it was a waste of time, but It was so easy to forget! At the bootcamp, they wouldn't let me leave the class before I understand what they were trying to teach me. That was for me a BIG PLUS becuase it showed me how much they care.

Ok wait a minute.. did I say "they"? Who are they?

Well, I already mentioned David but there are also 2 teachers/assistants.

First is Julia, SPICED Teaching Assistant & Developer. One of the most experienced array-fan developer that you will ever meet!

You'll know her more once you meet her.

Oh, and make sure to be on time or she would like to have a lil chat with you over a cup of coffee. Ask me about that. Well, let's face it > you are being serious and you want to learn? you be on time. Period. That proved me, again, how much they care about their students.

Second is Matt, SPICED Teaching Assistant & Developer. Matt is more of a friend than a teacher to me. His skills are just beyond mind and I am proud to say that he taught me once! He, David and Julia make just a great team. I have been taught by masters!

Shilpa did an awesome job in workshops she led at SPICED. She taught us lots of useful tips of how to create our CV as developers (should be unique), make our cover letters (because you have to) and along with Matt, how to organize our LinkedIn profile. Basically, everything you need to be job ready.

I would really recommend paying them a visit and check the school out. You'll know what I am talking about once you are there!

As of Jan 16, I am in my 6 weeks period of programming a

Moaaz.

• Obay Mardini • Graduate

My experience at Spiced was one of the best experience in my life. Four months full of challenges. I meet very smart classmates and teachers, who have a great impact in my life.

In my Demo Day I was offered to work for a company that I'm working for right now.

• Happy happy times!
    - 11/27/2019
    Anonymous • Front-End Developer • Graduate

Very happy and intense experience. I was especially happy with the job assistance and all the instructors.

learned alot during the 3 months at SPICED. The teachers and atmospthere are great and inspiring.

• Great Intro
    - 7/5/2018

I think the course is a really great intro into the world of programming and Javascript.

I like the way the curriculmn is laid out, with every new lesson feeling a little more complex than the last.

I like the exposure to two different frameworks: Vue and React, but I felt the job market asks more for React and Angular.

At times, the course can really challenge you which is a really good lesson to determine if this is something you want to do long term.  Those uncomfortable challenging moments will persist once you enter the job market...so really assess if this is something you want.

Some things the course doesn't offer that I've found to be important (reflections after entering the job market) is exposure to the git process when programming as a team or in groups.  I think this is really crucial to first days on the job, and will just take more time to learn. The course doesn't touch upon or discuss testing, which can really set yourself apart when looking for a job (often times the coding challenges ask for these).

Also keep in mind that after graduating this 12 week course, you will still be very very beginning and have a LOT more to learn on the job.

• Disappointing
    - 3/9/2018

My experience at SPICED started out well - but as the course proceeded, I quickly recognized that the program didn't have the value I was hoping for. I wish the program was much more transparent upfront - otherwise I wouldn't have invested so much money into it This review isn't meant to be bitter - but more of a constructive critique.

Generally, the staff were super nice. I thought David (the head instructor) was affable – However, after overhearing him mutter an insult under his breath about me (after asking a javascript question), it was alienating - it hurt - and it made me less comfortable talking with him – which is unfortunate, since I thought he was a nice guy.

The typical day consisted of a short presentation (30-45min) in the morning - followed by a task to complete. The proceeding 6 hours you were left on your own to actually learn the material - usually from youtube instructional videos & stack overlow. It reminded me of that quote from Good Will Hunting "“You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.”

I get it – a lot of the learning process is self teaching. But it’s also about inspiration from instructors – and further, being around motivated, smart peers.

More than half of my cohort left a few weeks in– instruction became bleak- sitting in a giant, empty room - watching instructional Youtube videos, alone. With an instructor I felt I couldn’t ask questions to – 100% demotivating.

I also get it. The program can’t be as selective as programs such as App Academy, Flatiron, Hack Reactor,etc. It’s new and it needs as many students as possible – so they’re not in the position of turning anyone away. This invariably leads to a bad mix of students.

Are there better programs out there, definitely. I’m hoping SPICED has grown up and revamped their course – it was a shame – the basic pieces were there. But the Instructors and Adminstrators should not be proud of what happened.

• Very disappointing
    - 12/27/2017
    Anonymous • student • Graduate

I have no idea where all these positive reviews are coming from. This was not the experience my colleagues and I had during this course. Most people, even those who weren't feeling as challenged as some of us were, felt that as much as the teacher was very knowledgeable, he was the opposite of supportive and helpful. If he didn't like you or was in a bad mood, nothing to do but try to figure out how to complete this course with the help of other students (unless you want to feel worse about yourself). Which is definitely not what 8,000€ should get you...

Beyond that, it was clear that the curriculum was not meant to be taught in 3 months. Most other places take 5-6 months, but it seems that the school wanted to tap into the 3-month visa crowd. The speed and difficulty (basically no gradual learning of very complex concepts) made most of us who had limited backgrounds feel constant frustration and confusion, and we left the course very insecure about our abilities.

Basically, if you have a CS degree, you'll do fine and be a bit challenged in this course. Anyone else, I suggest going to a more professional, longer course, where the well-being and success of the students is prized higher than the tuition price.

The rest of the staff and the actual location and facilities were great though.

I always wanted to live in Berlin, and I decided to join SPICED to increase my job prospects.

The staff are great, the curriculum is tough but I think it has to be in order to get the jobs I want!

All in all I was very happy and couldn't be happier to recommend SPICED.

• SUPER!
    - 9/1/2016

I was a participant in one of their courses which was on July 16.

They are so profisional when it comes to teaching. They have very qualified instructors.

Their courses are intensive so if you have to be prepared to spend your time wisely.

By the end of the course, they offer Job Assistance. Do your best and your job oppurtunity is their for you once you finish.

My advice is to pay them a visit and experience that by yourself.