spiced-academy-logo

SPICED Academy

Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg

SPICED Academy

SPICED Academy offers full-time, 12-week coding bootcamps and data science bootcamps in Berlin, Germany. The Full Stack Web Development program covers JavaScript, HTML, CSS, jQuery, MV Frameworks, NodeJS, and SQL. The data science bootcamp teaches data analysis in Python, machine learning, data visualization, SQL, noSQL, data infrastructure, and GitHub. Students will learn vital skills like effective communication, problem-solving, and self-awareness.

Prospective applicants will participate in a 60-80 hour prep course, finishing with an assessment that is part of the selective application process.

Working with experienced teachers, SPICED Academy students will receive an extensive education and unique industry insights. In addition to programming, students also learn personal and professional development skills in self-awareness and career development. Students will build a portfolio, get interview tips, and create a resume that will get them noticed. After graduation, students have the opportunity to meet SPICED Academy partners, with the aim of getting jobs as junior software developers.

Recent SPICED Academy Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (58) reviews for SPICED Academy →

Recent SPICED Academy News

Read all (5) articles about SPICED Academy →

LocationCologne
    Unser projektbasierter Lehrplan ist flexibel, um einer Vielzahl von Interessen gerecht zu werden, und so konzipiert, dass du mit Kompetenzen ausgestattet wirst, die sich auch in 5 Jahren noch auszahlen werden.
    Unsere Data Science Kurse in Deutschland sind zertifiziert für den Bildungsgutschein der Agentur für Arbeit.

LocationHamburg

LocationBerlin
    Our Data Science Program is a full-time, 12 week intensive course based on-site in Berlin. You will develop all the skills needed to begin a successful career as a data scientist; known as “the sexiest job of the 21st century”. Our rigorous course will hone your abilities in Pythonprogramming, pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PostGreS, MongoDB, Docker, data visualization andmore. You will complete exciting projects each week, individually and in small teams, allowing you to learn the most effective way there is: by doing.
    Payment plans available
    Minimum Skill LevelFamiliarity with mathematic concepts
    Prep Work40 - 60 hours
  • Full Stack Web Development

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, Mobile, CSS, React.js
    LocationCologne
    Unser 12-wöchiges Full Stack Web Development Bootcamp gibt dir die nötigen Werkzeuge an die Hand, und vermittelt dir die nachgefragtesten Technologien des Markts, damit du nach dem Abschluss eine schnelle Karriere als Web Entwickler*in starten kannst.
    Unsere Webdevelopment Kurse in Deutschland sind zertifiziert für den Bildungsgutschein der Agentur für Arbeit.
  • Full Stack Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, SQL
    LocationBerlin
    The full stack web development program covers JavaScript, Python, HTML, CSS, jQuery, MV Frameworks, NodeJS, and SQL. Classes are 9am to 6pm, 5 days per week.
    Options available
    Prep Work40 - 80 Hour preparation course material is provided.
  • Pearla   User Photo
    Pearla • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I entered SPICED Academy a couple of months after graduating from a bachelor's of economics. I am passionate about development economics and technology and I want to work in social entrepreneurship. I had been trying to learn how to code for a long time, so I chose a bootcamp for an intense learning environment, and I decided on Berlin both because I adore the city and because its tech scene is thriving (and it's great for beginners, so many meetups!). I fell on SPICED by chance but it’s after my Skype call with Shilpa, the Director of Programs and Community, that I knew SPICED was the right fit for me.

I wasn’t wrong. Frederik (SPICED CEO), David (Head Coach), Matt (Coach), Paul (Marketing Manager) and previously mentioned Shilpa, have managed to create an inclusive, supportive and superior learning environment, where any student with the right motivation can grow and excel. I have gotten so much more out of SPICED than I had even hoped to. I still cannot believe I managed to create 4 quality Full Sack Applications, using JavaScript, Node.js, Express.js, PostgreSQL, Angular.js, React.js and many more! I have to say, I went home exhausted every evening, and had a couple of coding dreams... It’s an intense 12 weeks! But I finished the day proud of what I had achieved, and excited about what I’d learn the next morning.

I believe that the most important thing about SPICED is the quality of teaching, as it is the reason you would choose a bootcamp over an online course. David and Matt are incredible teachers and form a great team. They were always there for us if we needed them, whether it was for a quick question, or to save us after a couple of frustrating hours facing a bug we were initially determined to solve ourselves. Other than learning a programming language from scratch, I realised that my problem solving skills immensely improved too. Following David and Matt’s example, we slowly learn how to identify where the problem comes from and how best to solve it, and soon enough you know why your app is crashing, on your own! Another key skill you learn is simply how to learn on your own - which is something that you will have to continuously do as a developer.

Another thing I loved about SPICED was its community. The cohorts are small and cohesive. Your classmates come from very different backgrounds and countries, but everyone sticks together and helps each-other during the bootcamp and even beyond the 12 weeks. I have made friends and good memories during my time at SPICED, and now away from Berlin I miss our well-deserved beers and a chats on Fridays.

Overall, I recommend SPICED because of:

• Its quality instructors.
    • Its curriculum that teaches the best practices to be a good programmer.
    • The care and work they put into improving themselves and making each student’s experience the best it could be.
    • Their career workshops that help you be more self-aware, confident and job-ready.
    • And finally because you want to take your first steps as a Full Stack Developer in a kind and caring family.

• Worth It 100000%
    - 8/22/2017
    Carolyn  User Photo
    Carolyn • Technical Writer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before SPICED, I had been working in the Berlin tech/startup scene for about two years as a journalist. After a startup I was working for went under, I knew I wanted to expand my knowledge and find a new comfort in the industry. I stumbled across SPICED by chance, but I'm so glad that I did.

I'm not going to lie to you. My time at SPICED was frustrating, exhausting and emotionally draining... but it was also equally fulfilling, rewarding and empowering. Learning a new skill can be rough, especially if you're starting from literally nothing. Fortunately, you're immersed in a supportive environment throughout the entire process. The cohorts are small, so it's easy to become close and ask for help from your classmates - plus David and Matt are always there if you get stuck.

Having worked in Berlin tech before, I didn't think that I needed the career workshop part of the program - but I was totally wrong. Shilpa was such a valuable asset to my success post-SPICED, helping me craft my career story and pitch my skills to potential employers. While I decided to accept a role in technical writing, I had also received multiple interviews and offers for Frontend and JavaScript developer positions. All of this happened within weeks of my graduation.

That's why, for the most part, SPICED receives top marks from me. But not everything is perfect, so there are some downsides: SPICED is still a growing community, so the network you gain is pretty small compared to other big boot camps like General Assembly. This is changing, and there are some alums trying to plan meetups for graduates and current students outside of official SPICED events. I also wish there had been more on pair programming, testing or other workflow aspects of development within the curriculum. But hey, there's only so much you can do in 12 weeks!

Overall though, 12/10 would suffer through it again.

• Mathieu  User Photo
    Mathieu • full-stack developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am a musician from France, and decided to join the full-stack course at the SPICED Academy in April 2017. I just finished the course and I'm now focused on finding a job in France.

I was a beginner and was wondering what we could learn in just 12 weeks. I had now idea about front-end, back-end, databases and large concepts of web development so that was really a new start for me... And we learnt a lot ! That's crazy, I feel now prepared to find a job of developer, and this is because of the amazing work of Shilpa, David, Matt, Frederik and Paul.

In a cosy atmosphere, Matt and David were very involved and passionate teachers, extremely supportive, giving me more confidence. They were always available to help, and I really enjoyed the content of the course. Big point for me : I see all the time on the jobs offer the languages and frameworks we learnt, and I have the feeling that part of the course is useful in the daily like of a developer.

I had to work a lot during my experience at SPICED, to don't feel overwhelmed by all the new technologies, concepts that we had to use everyday. Obviously, 12 weeks of coding doesn't make you an experienced programer, so you will have to keep being curious, working on new projects, all the time, but it's an habit you can easily take during the course, because it's a part of Matt and David's pedagogy.

As I was not used to look for a job, to write a CV and a cover letter, the career workshop was super useful for me and I learnt a lot from Shilpa and everybody's experience. I still using all the tools, tips, and references she gave us, for finding a job that fits with your expectations, and I'm already seeing the positive results.

During those three months, I learnt something I wanted to learn since a long time, and I had way more than what I expected. I also met amazing people, teachers, other students, that I consider now as friends and I will keep tons of good remember of my experience there.

That's why I give the max rate for the SPICED Academy !

• Karen Nemeth  User Photo
    Karen Nemeth • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I've been a tech recruiter in Silicon Valley (with companies such as Facebook) for many years and I must say that if you've been wanting to start a career in web development while wanting to explore new cultures, there's no better place to be than the Spiced Academy. Spiced has some of the best curriculum and teachers focused on critical thinking/fundamental skills needed in both interviews and when on the job. They'll help you go from knowing very little about the digital world to securely programming your own ideas in less time than a typical college internship. After graduating, they'll help you to successfully navigate the exploding Berlin tech scene.

Probably the best thing about Spiced is its Javascript focused curriculum (the most popular tech stack amongst startups, yet not bootcamps for some reason) along with a teacher who seems to have solved every issue in web development. He's passionate about passing on this knowledge and helping students learn from their mistakes. This is not just another for-profit coding school that seem to be popping up in every city. Spiced is committed to producing an academic structure that prepares students to tackle any challenge they see with curiosity and courage. It's an attitude that I'd always look for when hiring for software developers in the past.

Lastly, Spiced is a great way to get introduced to a new city and make new friends. There are hosted meetups, hackathons, and happy hours to get to know one another and the larger community. If you're looking for a reasonably priced entry into a new career in a fun, vibrant, international city, the Spiced Academy is the place to be.

• Rafael Toledano Illán  User Photo
    Rafael Toledano Illán • Architect & Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am an architect but a couple of years ago I became very interested in computer science and coding. I decided it was something I definitely wanted to learn, but I couldn't find the will to do it by myself online, nor the time to take a university degree.

After reviewing several bootcamps both in the US and in the EU, I finally found the right one! Much better than anything in London, Barcelona, Madrid... Why?

- First of all, they have a great professional team. Everyone, from the CTO to the teaching assistants will be there to help you and give you advice.

- Second, they have a great curriculum: for the first time in my education life I was learning actual USEFUL stuff. Things companies require the moment you start applying for a job. And it's not a few weeks, it's actual months, so we go deep into everything we learn.

- Third, they have a great space in Berlin, really beautiful offices full of light, space to work, a really nice kitchen...

- Last, but not least, the price. It's an investment, and it's much cheaper than all the american bootcamps, and quite well priced among the europeans. If you work hard on it -and they'll make it easy- you can get a job after graduation in a matter of weeks!

Looking back, I can say it was one of the best choices of my career. Completely worth it!

• Salva • Student
    We all get that this is NOT a university program, this is a bootcamp where people with previous degree/ or comparative experience should be allowed, it should be clear from the beginning that you won't learn to code in 3 months.
    Unfortunately everybody can get in and the course is even sold as appropriate (the cost is almost 10k) for unexperienced/ starters coders which is very close to a scam......
    Once started you jump on a high speed train and there is no support at all/ no time to catch up with your colleagues/ teachers, which turns up to be very demotivating for your learning process. Totally not recommended if you want to learn to code
  • Not for neophyts
    - 1/9/2020
    Jonathan • Graduate

I was happy that I managed to complete the bootcamp but beware, the methodologies and ways of teaching are not very well adapdted to neophyts. The sooner you start preparing for the course, the better. The freebootcamp pre-training is far from enough.

The pace is extremely fast which doesn't leave time to process and digest information so don't hesitate to get external help if possible.

The number of teachers is not enough for the number of students which can be very frustrating while working on projects.

If you manage to survive until the end, you will be able to create and do nice things with a bit of confidence but the foundation will not be stable and strong.

Bear also in mind that you will only be fed knowledge about coding and not much about what it is to be a web developer.

• Amazing
    - 8/29/2019
    Joe • Graduate

From non-programing brain to building a web application on my own. It took a lot of hard work, but worth it very much.

• Just do it!
    - 1/15/2019
    Sergio Herrero • Graduate

I reccommend to anyone reading this and considering attending a SPICED bootcamp to just do it.

It is objectively worth it.

And nothing you read in reviews will compare to how unbelieveblely amazing of an expirience it will actually be.

• Super!
    - 9/14/2018
    Angeliki • Junior Front End Developer • Graduate

Spiced is intensive as they promise but totally worth it!

Basically you get everything Shilpa describes on the first contact.

I found new ways to express my creativity while gaining skills that are in very high demand on the job market, and landed a nice job.

Not to mention all the pizza !!!

• Amazing experience
    - 7/20/2018
    Konstantin • Graduate

I just finished the first ever Data Science course at SPICED and I couldn‘t be happier about the whole experience.

The curriculum is great and well thught out. Every week we covered a new topic, which can be summarized like this:  In the first 4 weeks we covered the basics of coding/data science (python/pandas/numpy/scikit-learn/Machine Learning theory), then in the next 4 weeks we focused on deep learning (Tensorflow/Keras) and all kinds of different neural networks, and finally in the last 4 weeks we looked at topics like distributed computing, databases, deploying of python projects and of course worked on our final project.

Kristian, the head teacher, is just amazing. He knows everything about Python and Data Science, and - maybe even more importantly - you can see that he really enjoys teaching. This makes for a very special combination! He is great at explaining difficult topics in a simple manner, so you can pick them up quickly. Also, he is always trying to make the curriculum as interesting for the students as possible. So for example, each week he asked us what areas of that week’s topic are of special interest to us, so he could adjust the topics/material according to our interests. I think he is what makes this data science program really special. In addition, the whole environment (employees/fellow students/equipment/facilities etc) at SPICED is very pleasant and makes for a great learning atmosphere.

All in all, I’m very happy I decided to take this course. I had a great time at SPICED and learned a great deal! I would definately do it again.

• Andrés Calles Weill • Senior Consultant - Business Innovation • Graduate

After several years as a Customer Success/Account Manager in the B2B SaaS sector, I decided to learn how to program and code. I was first drawn to SPICED because it's located in Berlin, but I ultimately decided to join its Full Stack Web Development program because of its people.

The entire team at SPICED is determined to help you reach your goals, whatever those might be. Personally, I knew before joining SPICED that I did not want to become a developer. I wanted to complement my business experiences in tech with real life coding knowledge. Additionally, I knew that I wanted to join a company in a hybrid role that combined client relations and product management. I was able to land this job after one month of graduating from SPICED.