spiced-academy-logo

SPICED Academy

Berlin

SPICED Academy

SPICED Academy offers full-time, 12-week coding bootcamps and data science bootcamps in Berlin, Germany. The Full Stack Web Development program covers JavaScript, HTML, CSS, jQuery, MV Frameworks, NodeJS, and SQL. The data science bootcamp teaches data analysis in Python, machine learning, data visualization, SQL, noSQL, data infrastructure, and GitHub. Students will learn vital skills like effective communication, problem-solving, and self-awareness.

Prospective applicants will participate in a 60-80 hour prep course, finishing with an assessment that is part of the selective application process.

Working with experienced teachers, SPICED Academy students will receive an extensive education and unique industry insights. In addition to programming, students also learn personal and professional development skills in self-awareness and career development. Students will build a portfolio, get interview tips, and create a resume that will get them noticed. After graduation, students have the opportunity to meet SPICED Academy partners, with the aim of getting jobs as junior software developers.

Recent SPICED Academy Reviews: Rating 4.73

all (52) reviews for SPICED Academy →

Recent SPICED Academy News

Read all (4) articles about SPICED Academy →
  • Data Science

LocationBerlin
    Our Data Science Program is a full-time, 12 week intensive course based on-site in Berlin. You will develop all the skills needed to begin a successful career as a data scientist; known as “the sexiest job of the 21st century”. Our rigorous course will hone your abilities in Pythonprogramming, pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PostGreS, MongoDB, Docker, data visualization andmore. You will complete exciting projects each week, individually and in small teams, allowing you to learn the most effective way there is: by doing.
    Payment plans available
    Minimum Skill LevelFamiliarity with mathematic concepts
    Prep Work40 - 60 hours
  • Full Stack Web Development

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, SQL, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationBerlin
    The full stack web development program covers JavaScript, Python, HTML, CSS, jQuery, MV Frameworks, NodeJS, and SQL. Classes are 9am to 6pm, 5 days per week.
    Options available
    Prep Work40 - 80 Hour preparation course material is provided.

• Merle  User Photo
    Merle • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I have had the plan to switch work sectors for a while now. And since trying to teach myself on top of a fulltime job was tremendously slow and not overly rewarding, I decided to take a more drastic step and focus on coding fulltime. So I applied for the boot camp at SPICED, which turned out to be one of the best steps I took.

I joined the boot camp as an absolute JS beginner, while I had dipped my toes a little into other programming languages and concepts, I had never connected the dots in the way that I did over the course of the three months at SPICED. Plus my coding skills were super limited by the time I started the boot camp let alone develop full-stack applications. Those 12 weeks of classes and projects basically took me from writing simple blocks of code to writing full-stack applications. That being said, coding is a constant learning process and by the time you finish, there is definitely still a hell lot to learn. However, those weeks truly show you, what you are capable of learning in a short period of time, if you set your mind to it, dedicate your time and keep pushing - and by that I mean basically code, code, code.

SPICED is intense and hard. I had days that felt wonderfully easy, where I felt completely on top of what we were covering followed by days where I simply felt like I was never going to fully get it. Thankfully you are in an environment, where

1. you are not the only one going through these feelings but there is a whole bunch of you going through these things at the same time
    2. there are teachers there to guide you through it and they are incredibly helpful and supportive in catalysing your learning progress.

I am still amazed and proud of what I learned to build in this short amount of time. During the first half of the course, you cover a lot of different aspects of web development and build up the fundamentals to start full-stack development projects during the second half of the course. Once you have graduated, you can still come to campus and work there so you will still be able to ask for help in the six weeks after you have completed the course.

The boot camp provides a great environment for you to learn and grow, but you are the one that has to do the learning and growing, no one can do that for you. This might sound rather silly and obvious, but the bottom line is, you have to pull your own weight. You have to get comfortable with not knowing everything, sometimes not understanding everything straight away, and most frustrating of all: learn how to ask the questions that help you figure development problems out, when all of this is completely new to you.
    SPICED is quite fast paced and pushes your comfort zone of how much you are capable to learn, absorb and take in. For me maybe one of the most valuable takeaways is not necessarily how much can code by heart today, but having build up the skillset and confidence in myself that I will be able to figure things out and learn the things I don't know or understand yet. Basically, SPICED teaches you the skills needed to jumpstart a continuously ongoing learning process.

Altogether I highly recommend SPICED as an amazing starting point for anyone that wants to learn how to code and pursue a professional career in this field, but be ready to push your comfort zone of learning.

• Tim  User Photo
    Tim • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Had a super time at my bootcamp with SPICED.

Speaking of my cohort in Oct2018, they had selected a diverse range of students.
    For a total of 18 weeks!!! (12week bootcamp + extended 6weeks) you are free to use and stay at the facilities as long as you wish and receive help by the teachers.

This is important for the time after the course bc you should be able to master coding challenges to prove you are familiar with your craft while you're on the job hunt.

The curriculum is always up-to-date and according to the needs of the industry.

I only had wished to learn things about pair-programming or working on a project as a team.

David and his team are very committed to support and provide a holistic and contagious coding environment/ learning experience.
    + you get to meet a community of kind (and smart) people.

In the end it's up to a students entitlement of what one gets out of this bootcamp.

I learned myself the hard way and can't stress enough to be really prepared for the course with their prep material (JavaScript in general) and during the course to ASK AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, since these are prerequisites you need anyway to work in software development.

Enjoy your journey.

• Andrea A.  User Photo
    Andrea A. • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Attending SPICED Academy was one of the best decisions I have made. Since I was moving from the US to Berlin for this course, I did a substantial amount of research in order to find the right school for me and I ultimately chose SPICED. I applied in March 2018 to start in the October 2018 cohort and during that time I completed the prep course work several times to get a good grasp on the concepts. I joined the bootcamp as a complete beginner and once I finished the course, I was amazed at the incredible progress I made, how much I learned, and the applications I was able to build. The teachers are incredibly helpful and always willing to help you work through a problem but also ensure you understand why that problem occurred in the first place.

That being said, this course is also incredibly demanding - it is a bootcamp after all! I spent an average of 10-12 hours every day at school for 6 days of the week. This is a fast-paced learning environment where you are challenged on a daily basis and expected to learn by doing. One of the first things I learned at SPICED was getting comfortable with certain parts of your application not working and how to patiently troubleshoot and work with your peers to figure things out together. This is all part of the learning process! There were times when I was incredibly frustrated and other times when I was overjoyed because I made something work on my own.

In all, I absolutely recommend SPICED for anyone interested in making a commitment to learning programming. It was a gratifying experience that provided me with the skills necessary to apply to the workplace as a junior developer. You just have to be willing to put in the work in order to truly see progress in your abilities and get the most out of this course.

• Lisa Kramarenko  User Photo
    Lisa Kramarenko • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Graduating from SPICED Academy is truly a life-changing experience. You will learn an insane amount of things in encouranging and motivating atmosphere, you will master soft skills as well as tech skills necessary to land a job, you will always find support from the staff and you will work really really hard -- and in the end it's all gonna be worth it. You will get everything you need to get an entry level job -- provided you are willing to work hard and be proactive. Even after graduation you can always ask for help.

Every day I went there with excitement and joy about what I'm going to learn and build today. I was never bored and always challenged. I absolutely loved it and had no trouble finding a junior position.

I recommend preparing beyond the prep course they provide you with though and mess with a code a bit beforehand -- it will make your life much easier.

Stuff to improve: more teachers and including more materials on git, testing and production environment.

• Marten  User Photo
    Marten • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am already recommending SPICED to many friends, so why not share my experience  here:

If you feel like you want to know how to code and get a job as a developer, you should put them to the top of your list.

I did extensive research before opting for this bootcamp and can honestly say that ,while there might be good alternatives, SPICED was the perfect choice.

Things to highlight:

1. Up-to-date curriculum & tech stack

2. Staff that cares about your personal & technical development

3. Great help through the staff & alumnis even after graduation

• Dilshod  User Photo
    Dilshod • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Based on my experience I can tell you - if your goal is to get nice job as a developer then this bootcamp is for you.

From this bootcamp you will get 3 most important things:
    1. Self-confidence as a developer;
    2. Up to date coding skills;
    3. Your dream job.

...

• Tom Givol  User Photo
    Tom Givol • Student Verified via GitHub

If you are looking for an awesome atmosphere, super central, comfortable and impeccably equipped space, a knowledgable and friendly staff that excels at lecturing just as much as in private tutoring and more than anything else: sharing an intensely satisfying learning experience with a group of like-minded peers who are in this together  - look no further!

It would have been great if the bootcamp had 2-4 more weeks so more content could be thought and get the students extremely well prepared for the job marked (in 12 weeks you got to "well prepared" status). It would have also been really swell if it was possible to do frequent code reviews for each student multiple times (which demands a lot of manpower, something no bootcamp that I know of has). But going back from fantasy into actual reality - SPICED do the absolute best with what they got.

p.s The career workshop was really awesome. Learned and grew from it just as much as I did from the coding lessons.

• Thibaut Valarche  User Photo
    Thibaut Valarche • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

When I first entered SPiced Academy, I had almost zero knowledge of web developement. With spiced Academy, I got the necessary backgrounds to become web developer. Courses are well structured and teachers very professionals. The ambiance in genral is also very sympathic.

• Marco C  User Photo
    Marco C • Full-Stack Software Developer - Uplause • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I went to Spiced-Academy last April-June and I should say that it is right up there on my list of " The best decisions I've made". Prior to attending the bootcamp, I've been studying in a University as a Software Engineer but I felt that I wasn't learning enough. The school is theory heavy and you learn little on the practical side. I did my research and found about Spiced. After talking to Shilpa, I decided to enroll and boy I did it right. Before starting the bootcamp, they will give you a homework and for future students, pay attention to the homework and do your research before hand. Most students get problem during the first couple of weeks because they're in the state of shock. If you prepare enough, you won't experience this coding stuporous state. :)

The mentors are really good. They are always there and if you get stuck at something, they can help you but try to do it first before you ask, that way you are sure you're not asking a stupid question.

The course is very intensive and even after you get home, you will have to do some study or exercises so be ready to dedicate your time, you are in Berlin to learn and not as a tourist. Make friends because it will make your life so much easier.

If your only purpose is to land a job as a developer after you graduate, this is not for you. There is no assurance that you will get a job when you graduate. If you like coding and you want to learn (and you are 100% sure of that) then this course is for you.

Overall the experience is tantamount to nothing. The things I learned in 2 years in school is nothing compare to what I learned in 3 months in this bootcamp.

• Marcus  User Photo
    Marcus • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I also attended the first Data Science cohort and I can fully support the positive comments made below by Konstantin. The course at SPICED Academy was very valuable and intensive likewise. We got more than just a brief hands-on introduction on each topic as often seen before in online courses. Kristian was awesome at teaching and he fostered our abilites to code steadily. He always took into consideration what the participants were interested in and set the focus within the main topics variable and very encouraging. The curriculum was very concise and Kristian was always capable of making a clear connection between the topics covered and the tech stack used.

After graduation we now know a lot more about clean, well-structured and object-oriented coding in Python and respective frameworks, and about getting a project from development to employment. We have also got a profound understanding of the underlying theories of both supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques, when to use them and how to evaluate them in the right manner. All in all, it has been the course I was looking for. I got everything at hand I need to know to dive deeper in any Data Science related topic and I feel well prepared for future work. Beside the course itself I think that it`s been a nice working environment with plenty of pleasant people to talk with and to share experiences.

• Dejan Vjestica  User Photo
    Dejan Vjestica • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Intense, friendly and open environment for fast and solid entry into web development.

Plus: Competent and friendly staff, well equipped work space, good caffe and hipster drinks

Stuff to get better: more teachers

• It was ok
    - 6/22/2018
    Monika Ibovnik  User Photo
    Monika Ibovnik • Solution Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I have been trying to learn to code for a long time, however alone I was jumping all over the place and never focused on one technology long enough to start a career as a programmer. I came to SPICED with some knowledge of basic JavaScript, however I have never written a full app, just some small console programms. I found the Curriculum of the course very nicely put together, that allows students to build up upon their skills and teaching the things that get you hired. I also liked career workshops that helped me to craft a nice american-style CV that I was not ashamed to send to companies.

If you want to change career I would recommend a bootcamp, however be warned that a bootcamp is not for everyone - I really advice you to prepare with some free online courses, I think it's not stressed enough by SPICED. Maybe you're one of those who grasp new things quickly, but I won't bet on that especially if you're paying for the bootcamp from your own pocket.

• Raul Iglesias  User Photo
    Raul Iglesias • Fullstack Developer intern • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the Full Stack Bootcamp at SPICED Academy between Sept.17 and Nov.17.

The experience was hard, I worked every single day for 3 months, between 10 and 12 hrs a day, I suffered under stress and banged my head against the laptop when I couldn't figure out how to solve the problems. However, I did not regret any single minute of it. It was an extremely gratifying time, where I changed from my old me to this new me that I am right now (professionally speaking :-) ).

The curriculum at SPICED goes gradually from learining basic Javascript, HTML and CSS stuff during the first half of the course, to managing both the frontend and backend of relatively complex apps. I found the exercises and projects to be very well designed to learn more and more difficult concepts gradually. At the end, when you get into the final project, which you choose and design on your own, I felt like I had really learnt a lot. I found myself being able to architect and build the idea I had in mind.

The atmosphere at SPICED was great, I went very gladly to school every day, looking forward to meet my classmates, the teachers, the school team and the students from other cohorts. I hold the teachers (Dave and Matt), as well as the other employees of the school (Shilpa, Paul and the CEO Frederik) in the highest regard for the job they do running the place. Besides their professionalism, they were always extremely freindly and helpful, always taking care of us making sure we had the best time possible at school. My classmates were also amazing people. We developed a great and tight relationship and learnt to work together, help each other and count on one another when needed. The body of students at SPICED is amazingly diverse, coming from all corners of the world, but somehow they all turn out to be really great and funny people. We worked and studied together, but we also played together, partied together, ate together, chilled together... As the weeks went by I found myself more and more comfortable at school and it began to feel almost like a big family.

Thanks to the preparation I received at SPICED I am to say that I was able to find an entry-level position pretty quickly after the bootcamp. Within just two months, even with Christimas and New Years in between, I got offered a paid internship as Fullstack Developer. Currently (Mar.18) I am beginning my second month of internship, I am learning tons of stuff, frontend and backend, and there is much more to come. If everything goes well I will be hired as junior developer right after the internship. As far as I know, all the students from my cohort that graduated with me have landed a job as developers of various levels.

I can say that my life has completely changed after doing the bootcamp at SPICED. Before I had a job where I was terribly unhappy and which I could not see myself performing any single day more. Now, after some months of hard but gratifying work, I have a job with great prospects, in a firm which offers me a chance to learn and grow, and with a team I cherish and admire.

If you are not affraid of a challenge, if you are ready to work hard for a certain period of time and you are looking for a change in your life, do not hesitate and take part in SPICED Academy's program. You will not regret it a single day!

• Matthieu  User Photo
    Matthieu • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before I came to SPICED I graduated in Communication Sciences and Sociology at University and had almost no experience at all in programming. 6 weeks after the graduation, I land a 12 months internship as Junior Software Developer.

When I decided to enroll I was sceptical about how much it is possible to learn in 12 weeks with no prior experience. Today I can say that I am amazed on how much I learned at SPICED. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't an easy journey, I had to work a lot but everything is made for you to success if you put the right amount of work.

First, the teachers are amazing. I think there is a well balanced teaching team between Matt, David and now Ivana. They know what you will experience and they will push you out of your limits so that you will progress fast and learn the right skills to get a job.

The job assistance teached by Shilpa is really usefull! I started with very little professional experience and had no idea on how to behave in front of interviewers and after the training and the advices we got, I felt more confident in my interviews and I was able to set my goals in order to find the right position for me.

Finally, I would advice anyone that is ready to work hard to change his carreer path to study at SPICED!

• Stephan  User Photo
    Stephan • Junior JavaScript Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Before i came to spiced i had been studying towards a degree in computer science. I knew alot of theoretical stuff, and had a little experience with some languages, but i did't feel i was ready to get a job.

Over 12 weeks at Spiced, i learn a huge amount about full stack web development. 4 weeks after graduating, i received two job offers, and i'm now working as a junior javascript developer.

The ciriculum was great. I got alot of support from the teachers and other staff members, and my classmates were awesome.

Although i had been studying before signing up to Spiced,  some of my classmates had never coded before, and went on to make amazing apps. Regardless of your current experience level, if you work hard, and your prepared to leave your comort zone, you'll be amazed at what you're capable off after graduating.

• David  User Photo
    David • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Learning coding at SPICED was such a great experience! You work together with like-minded people and learn from the great teachers at SPICED - your goal: to learn how to code for the web in a professional capacity.

I graduated SPICED in September 2017. 6 weeks later I got a job as a Full Stack Software Developer. In just 4.5 months I basically turned my life around. But don't expect to just cruise through it - you will only truly succeed if you put yourself into it 100%.

The 3 months at SPICED felt like a true bootcamp experience for me - I didn't have much time for anything else, but it was 100% worth it for me. The great staff members and the helpful teachers were always there to help.

All things considered: If you want to learn how to code and are dedicated to that cause, then go for it. You won't regret it!

• Julian  User Photo
    Julian • Full Stack Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Being a student at SPICED was such a great experience. You will have a great place to work, a cohort of like-minded people who have the same goals as you and great teachers to give you a well-rounded education.

I graduated from the course in November 2017 and got a developer job only a few weeks after graduating. I would recommend everyone with the right mindset to apply for the course to become a web developer.

Be prepared to work hard. You should be willing to put in extra work. It will not be enough to just work the minimum required hours. This is a commitment for 3 months and you should use this time to put in 100% of your energy. If this is what you are looking for SPICED is the right place for you.

The curriculum will provide everything you need to understand what full-stack JavaScript development is about and you will be able to create applications with a lot of great features. I would still recommend everyone who is interested to do some coding before joining - both in order to be sure about your goal to become a developer and to have a basic overview once you start.

To sum up, SPICED was an awesome experience and I really learned a lot. I can only recommend joining the Bootcamp!

• Alex G  User Photo
    Alex G • Frontend Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I graduated from Spiced Academy's full stack developers course eight weeks ago, and today I have signed a contract as a Frontend developer at an established start-up in Berlin. I feel that Spiced Academy's course was very relevant and up to date and that  the curriculum prepared me well for the technical questions that came up during the interviews. I would not have landed this job without Spiced Academy.

The course is fast moving and you do need to be somewhat self-reliant. The lectures and course notes are clear and well organised and guide you in completing the exercises and projects but you a given a lot of freedom in your approach to the solutions. It was important to ask for help when stuck as the instructors do not always check in with you. I liked this style of teaching as I feel it is more realistic of the real world and increased my confidence of tackling technically challenging  problems by myself, although it may not suit everyone.  When I did need additional help, both instructors, David and Matt, were approachable, friendly and extremely supportive. I was impressed with their  knowledge and like their different approaches to problem solving and teaching. I learnt a lot from both.

The first half of the course focus on learning the basic and fundamentals of web development. There is a lot of information to learn and I didn't realise at the time how important so of it was. During the second half of the course, the projects become bigger and what we had learnt in the first half came together and I felt like a full stack developer. I found that the projects from the second half gave me a good portfolio to put on my GitHub to showcase my abilities but most to the technical questions in the job interviews were based on what we had learnt in the first half of the course.  .

I had completed a couple of free online coding courses  before joining spiced and this definitely helped and I would recommend this. However, without Spiced I think I would have struggled to know what I should be focused on learning and I would have struggle to stay motivated. I definitely would not have learnt so much in such a short time.

My favourite part of the course were the React projects, my least favourite part of the course was the Backbone project. However, having said that, the interviewers seemed to like that I had knowledge of an older library such as Backbone and could compare working in it with the more modern React. For that reason alone I am now glad it was included in the curriculum.

I am in my late 30's and I was concern that my age may be an issue as tech is a young person's game. During the course, my age was not an issue at all and all ages mixed well together. Afterwards, during the job hunt,  I do believe I possibly did not progress with some job application because of my age, however where I was offered an interview I was told that they saw my age as a positive and liked that I had previous experience in a different field.

The career works shops was more relevant for people that have not had much experience in the job hunt process so a lot of it I already knew  but I did take away some good tips that helped  during the job search and it was also a useful refresher and motivational component.

My cohort was also amazing people from many different countries and I am glad to have had this experience with. They made it easy to stay motivated through the 12 weeks and the job search.

In summary I found the course to be fun, interesting, challenging, relevant and believe it offers good value for money.  However, it is hard work and you will need to take responsibility for your own learning and success. I would not hesitate to do it over again.

• Do it!
    - 9/1/2017
    Ina  User Photo
    Ina • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I have a background in HR and I had worked in couple of tech startups and in IT consultant resourcing. I however realised I wanted to gain a deeper understanding of software development and be able to code myself. I was already living in Berlin and I was researching the different bootcamp opportunities here. I soon noticed that SPICED and its Full Stack Web Development program would be the best option because of its interesting and encompassing curriculum and the positive reviews I read about it.

I haven´t regret my decision a single moment. I could never have been able to believe how much you can learn in only 12 weeks. I still remember watching the previous cohorts´ final projects and thinking I could never be able to build anything like that. But as the 12 weeks passed I noticed I had grown from someone who was struggling with Codeacademy´s exercises to being able to create full stack web applications. Many thanks to the excellent teachers David and Matt!

If you are determined, willing to work hard and want to learn to code in a supportive and encouraging environment, SPICED is the right place for you.

• Best decision!
    - 9/1/2017
    Olof Reimegård  User Photo
    Olof Reimegård • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had studied product design and wanted to go from making physical products to software. I did a bit of studying on my own through codecademy and such but had a hard time keeping up my own pace and knowing what to do next. I started looking at developer boot camps and SPICED caught my attention, I was a bit causious as I didn't believe that three months was enough time to fully learn what was promised but decided to reach out and book a meeting with Shilpa. She was happy to meet me and answer any and all questions i had, i got to meet with the teachers and even sit in on one of the lectures.

I made the decision to do the course and since the first day I haven't looked back. David and Matt, the two teachers are competent and willing to help at all times, the curriculum feels tailored for the job and is constantly updated to match the fast changing job market. The career workshops helps prepare you for getting a job when you graduate and most importantly, SPICED feels like a little family, you spend 8-10 hours a day in school so having a good atmosphere and work environment is very important.

If you feel willing and ready to really dive inte coding then this course is for you. With that said i wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants to take a lot of days off or keep a job on the side, the course really is full-time!

• Pearla   User Photo
    Pearla • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I entered SPICED Academy a couple of months after graduating from a bachelor's of economics. I am passionate about development economics and technology and I want to work in social entrepreneurship. I had been trying to learn how to code for a long time, so I chose a bootcamp for an intense learning environment, and I decided on Berlin both because I adore the city and because its tech scene is thriving (and it's great for beginners, so many meetups!). I fell on SPICED by chance but it’s after my Skype call with Shilpa, the Director of Programs and Community, that I knew SPICED was the right fit for me.

I wasn’t wrong. Frederik (SPICED CEO), David (Head Coach), Matt (Coach), Paul (Marketing Manager) and previously mentioned Shilpa, have managed to create an inclusive, supportive and superior learning environment, where any student with the right motivation can grow and excel. I have gotten so much more out of SPICED than I had even hoped to. I still cannot believe I managed to create 4 quality Full Sack Applications, using JavaScript, Node.js, Express.js, PostgreSQL, Angular.js, React.js and many more! I have to say, I went home exhausted every evening, and had a couple of coding dreams... It’s an intense 12 weeks! But I finished the day proud of what I had achieved, and excited about what I’d learn the next morning.

I believe that the most important thing about SPICED is the quality of teaching, as it is the reason you would choose a bootcamp over an online course. David and Matt are incredible teachers and form a great team. They were always there for us if we needed them, whether it was for a quick question, or to save us after a couple of frustrating hours facing a bug we were initially determined to solve ourselves. Other than learning a programming language from scratch, I realised that my problem solving skills immensely improved too. Following David and Matt’s example, we slowly learn how to identify where the problem comes from and how best to solve it, and soon enough you know why your app is crashing, on your own! Another key skill you learn is simply how to learn on your own - which is something that you will have to continuously do as a developer.

Another thing I loved about SPICED was its community. The cohorts are small and cohesive. Your classmates come from very different backgrounds and countries, but everyone sticks together and helps each-other during the bootcamp and even beyond the 12 weeks. I have made friends and good memories during my time at SPICED, and now away from Berlin I miss our well-deserved beers and a chats on Fridays.

Overall, I recommend SPICED because of:

• Its quality instructors.
    • Its curriculum that teaches the best practices to be a good programmer.
    • The care and work they put into improving themselves and making each student’s experience the best it could be.
    • Their career workshops that help you be more self-aware, confident and job-ready.
    • And finally because you want to take your first steps as a Full Stack Developer in a kind and caring family.

• Worth It 100000%
    - 8/22/2017
    Carolyn  User Photo
    Carolyn • Technical Writer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Before SPICED, I had been working in the Berlin tech/startup scene for about two years as a journalist. After a startup I was working for went under, I knew I wanted to expand my knowledge and find a new comfort in the industry. I stumbled across SPICED by chance, but I'm so glad that I did.

I'm not going to lie to you. My time at SPICED was frustrating, exhausting and emotionally draining... but it was also equally fulfilling, rewarding and empowering. Learning a new skill can be rough, especially if you're starting from literally nothing. Fortunately, you're immersed in a supportive environment throughout the entire process. The cohorts are small, so it's easy to become close and ask for help from your classmates - plus David and Matt are always there if you get stuck.

Having worked in Berlin tech before, I didn't think that I needed the career workshop part of the program - but I was totally wrong. Shilpa was such a valuable asset to my success post-SPICED, helping me craft my career story and pitch my skills to potential employers. While I decided to accept a role in technical writing, I had also received multiple interviews and offers for Frontend and JavaScript developer positions. All of this happened within weeks of my graduation.

That's why, for the most part, SPICED receives top marks from me. But not everything is perfect, so there are some downsides: SPICED is still a growing community, so the network you gain is pretty small compared to other big boot camps like General Assembly. This is changing, and there are some alums trying to plan meetups for graduates and current students outside of official SPICED events. I also wish there had been more on pair programming, testing or other workflow aspects of development within the curriculum. But hey, there's only so much you can do in 12 weeks!

Overall though, 12/10 would suffer through it again.

• Mathieu  User Photo
    Mathieu • full-stack developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am a musician from France, and decided to join the full-stack course at the SPICED Academy in April 2017. I just finished the course and I'm now focused on finding a job in France.

I was a beginner and was wondering what we could learn in just 12 weeks. I had now idea about front-end, back-end, databases and large concepts of web development so that was really a new start for me... And we learnt a lot ! That's crazy, I feel now prepared to find a job of developer, and this is because of the amazing work of Shilpa, David, Matt, Frederik and Paul.

In a cosy atmosphere, Matt and David were very involved and passionate teachers, extremely supportive, giving me more confidence. They were always available to help, and I really enjoyed the content of the course. Big point for me : I see all the time on the jobs offer the languages and frameworks we learnt, and I have the feeling that part of the course is useful in the daily like of a developer.

I had to work a lot during my experience at SPICED, to don't feel overwhelmed by all the new technologies, concepts that we had to use everyday. Obviously, 12 weeks of coding doesn't make you an experienced programer, so you will have to keep being curious, working on new projects, all the time, but it's an habit you can easily take during the course, because it's a part of Matt and David's pedagogy.

As I was not used to look for a job, to write a CV and a cover letter, the career workshop was super useful for me and I learnt a lot from Shilpa and everybody's experience. I still using all the tools, tips, and references she gave us, for finding a job that fits with your expectations, and I'm already seeing the positive results.

During those three months, I learnt something I wanted to learn since a long time, and I had way more than what I expected. I also met amazing people, teachers, other students, that I consider now as friends and I will keep tons of good remember of my experience there.

That's why I give the max rate for the SPICED Academy !

• Karen Nemeth  User Photo
    Karen Nemeth • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I've been a tech recruiter in Silicon Valley (with companies such as Facebook) for many years and I must say that if you've been wanting to start a career in web development while wanting to explore new cultures, there's no better place to be than the Spiced Academy. Spiced has some of the best curriculum and teachers focused on critical thinking/fundamental skills needed in both interviews and when on the job. They'll help you go from knowing very little about the digital world to securely programming your own ideas in less time than a typical college internship. After graduating, they'll help you to successfully navigate the exploding Berlin tech scene.

Probably the best thing about Spiced is its Javascript focused curriculum (the most popular tech stack amongst startups, yet not bootcamps for some reason) along with a teacher who seems to have solved every issue in web development. He's passionate about passing on this knowledge and helping students learn from their mistakes. This is not just another for-profit coding school that seem to be popping up in every city. Spiced is committed to producing an academic structure that prepares students to tackle any challenge they see with curiosity and courage. It's an attitude that I'd always look for when hiring for software developers in the past.

Lastly, Spiced is a great way to get introduced to a new city and make new friends. There are hosted meetups, hackathons, and happy hours to get to know one another and the larger community. If you're looking for a reasonably priced entry into a new career in a fun, vibrant, international city, the Spiced Academy is the place to be.

• Rafael Toledano Illán  User Photo
    Rafael Toledano Illán • Architect & Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I am an architect but a couple of years ago I became very interested in computer science and coding. I decided it was something I definitely wanted to learn, but I couldn't find the will to do it by myself online, nor the time to take a university degree.

After reviewing several bootcamps both in the US and in the EU, I finally found the right one! Much better than anything in London, Barcelona, Madrid... Why?

- First of all, they have a great professional team. Everyone, from the CTO to the teaching assistants will be there to help you and give you advice.

- Second, they have a great curriculum: for the first time in my education life I was learning actual USEFUL stuff. Things companies require the moment you start applying for a job. And it's not a few weeks, it's actual months, so we go deep into everything we learn.

- Third, they have a great space in Berlin, really beautiful offices full of light, space to work, a really nice kitchen...

- Last, but not least, the price. It's an investment, and it's much cheaper than all the american bootcamps, and quite well priced among the europeans. If you work hard on it -and they'll make it easy- you can get a job after graduation in a matter of weeks!

Looking back, I can say it was one of the best choices of my career. Completely worth it!