product-school-logo

Product School

Austin, Boston, Boulder, Chicago, Denver, London, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Orange County, San Francisco, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Toronto

Product School

Product School was founded in 2014 and offers 4-week and 8-week, part-time product management courses to professionals in a live online classroom. The curriculum contains a mix of practical, hands-on projects; group activities; and real-world case studies with a focus on highly relevant skills needed for the next generation of software product leaders. Product School students learn how to build digital products from end-to-end, lead cross-functional teams, and land their next product job or promotion. Courses are taught by senior-level product managers who work at technology companies such as Google, Facebook, Netflix, Airbnb, PayPal, Uber, and Amazon. Classes are held in the evenings or on weekends to ensure that both instructors and students can maintain their full-time jobs.

To apply, candidates should fill out an online application form. Graduates may be eligible to receive industry certificates in Product Management, such as PMC™, PLC™, and PEC™. Product School prepares students for product management interviews to enable them to expand their professional network through access to a private community of over one million product professionals, including alumni, mentors and hiring managers from top technology companies.

In addition to training for individuals, Product School delivers custom product training to Fortune 500 companies seeking to upskill their existing teams or onboard new talent. Committed to building a product management community, Product School has published the Amazon bestseller, The Product Book, and hosts over 1,000 free events per year, The Proddy Awards, and ProductCon, the largest multi-city conference in the world for product managers.

Recent Product School Reviews: Rating 4.84

all (194) reviews for Product School →

Recent Product School News

• Product Executive Certificate™

OnlinePart Time4 Weeks
    We offer different funding options to make financing your learning easy!
    Choose from interest-free monthly installments, or spreading the cost up to 36 months.
  • Product Leadership Certificate™

• Product Management Certificate™

Tuition PlansDifferent payment plans available

I just finished the 8-week Product Management course at Product School and have only the best things to say about the course and the CEO/instructor Carlos!

I believe this course is useful for two categories of people - those who are new to product management (even if they have interacted with PMs before) and those who are looking to start their own companies but do not have a product manager in the founding team.

It really is a hands-on course that takes you through a live project (that you conceptualize and develop) - to get the most out of the course, you should be prepared to put in significant effort. The effort is certainly worth it! By the end, you will have a very good idea of whether a PM career is for you, how to handle a PM job and how to go about getting a PM job. For those who wish to pursue their live project further, there is plenty of great info on how to quickly validate the idea and take it to market.

Carlos' energy is unbelievable - and very contagious! As other reviewers have already pointed out, his connections in the startup scene, and his willingness to go out of his way to help you can make a big difference.

The course is a great way to start along the road to becoming a PM. You do get to find out a lot of "inside info" that you would not otherwise come across. You also get to try out many of the tools that PMs would need to be familiar with - including design tools and A/B testing tools. Again, what you take away is proportional to your own interest and effort!

Overall, I would certainly recommend the course as an effective introduction to Product Management.

• Adrian Ostolski • Product Manager • Graduate

I took the 8-week part-time Product Management course at Product School. It was a very good investment in my career. I was a QA Engineer and I wanted to become a Product Manager. I would not have been able to do this without taking this course. Well, technically maybe I could, but I don’t think I would have known what I was doing without this experience. It has been invaluable to me.

After researching the various schools in San Francisco that teach Product Management, I selected Product School because they were professional, passionate, and reasonably priced. What I got was more than I even expected. The course was life-changing, they provide tons of connections, and they are constantly providing perks, discounts on professional tools, and opportunities for networking and job openings. Carlos, the CEO, is very passionate. You can’t listen to him talk without feeling excited and motivated. For me, this had a huge impact and I now feel that I can really do my future dream, which is to start my own startup with my husband (an unintended side effect). Since CEO's are essentially their own Product Managers at early startups. I learned so much from this course and it gave me a lot of confidence about my decision to become a Product Manager.

Some things I loved about the course:

• The course is part-time so you can take it while working a full-time job or going to school

• There are week nights or weekend classes (I took the week nights)

• The course is just 8 weeks, so it is packed full of information but I liked that I could be finished and start on my next step sooner

• It’s very hands on, meaning that you will be creating your own product

• You will also work with others in your class and build a great network of other Product Managers

• It’s very cost effective, compared to other Product Management courses

• Product School actually takes the time to mentor you, help with your resume, and public speaking skills

• They help you in the job search process, in every step, throughout the course and after

• Food was provided, so that you didn’t have to worry about making time for it between work and class

• My favorite class was the day we had resume reviews and mock interviews because this feedback was excellent and so helpful

• Carlos’ connections are amazing. Everyone who was brought in for class was extremely knowledgeable. Although Carlos taught our class himself, he also brought in a Senior Recruiter from LinkedIn, and other Product Managers from top companies and local startups.

• Several of my classmates got PM jobs before class was even over

• The school has weekly Meetup events, which once a student, you can attend for free for life

I think that this course is the best Product Management school around, and I would recommend it to anyone coming from a technical background who is thinking about becoming a Product Manager or is already a PM and wants to become a better one.

• Gaurav Tater • Graduate

This review is for the 16 week coding & product management course. I just finished my entire 16 week course. Casey, Hamid and Carlos were my instructor and they are one of the best instructors you could get for this course. I did come from a non-technical background so I am impressed with the course and myself to be able to have a good understanding of product management at the completion of the course.

The best part about the course is the instructors and what is amazing the energy, passion and keenness they share to teach this course. Carlos and Hamid are available at any time of the day to guide and answer questions. What I really like is how I met other students who are in the same boat as I am and being able to share experience and frustation even after the class.

Highly recommended for people for are looking for career change in the field of PM. Great stepping stone.

• Peter Wang • Student

This review is for the 14 week coding & product management course. I finished the 6 week coding course and it was INTENSE. Jason was my instructor and he has a very caring soul. I came from a non-technical background so I was very impressed with the course and myself to be able to have a very good understanding of coding at the completion of the course. Jason is able to take a complex concept and break it down into very manageable pieces.

I am currently in week 1 of the PM portion of the course and I have to say I LOVE Carlos' teaching style.  It is very obvious within 10 minutes of the course that you can tell he has the passion for teaching this subject. Carlos is not only a very knowledgable instructor but he is also very caring as well. He definitely has your back throughout the whole program and you can sense that on day 1.

• Francisco de la Pena • Co-Founder Twister Labs. CTO Realsec, Inc • Graduate

I took the 8-week Product Management course at Product School and have very positive feedback for anyone looking to take the course.  When I took the course I was Technical Director at Realsec, Inc and wasn’t really looking for a new job but I wanted to improve my Product Management skills. I was doing my job but I couldn’t help to feel that I wasn’t performing at 100%. The course greatly exceeded my expectations mostly because I wasn’t looking for a technical training or tons of literature on the subject of Product Management (I can google that myself.) I was more interested in all the other (soft) skills required to become a great PM, I also really liked how everyone in class had a technical background.

After the course, I co-Founded Twister Labs, the company behind GoProover.com, a platform that helps people improve their lives while overcoming fun challenges in a variety of fields, no matter what their goals are.

This is definitely not a traditional course where you are overwhelmed with piles of mostly pointless literature. It is instead a course where you learn best practices for any aspiring PM from actual PMs. It’s not the kind of course where the instructor tells you exactly what to do in every situation, but a course where you get guidelines, general rules and tricks that you only obtain through years of experience. It’s a very practical course, plenty of group activities.

About the course itself, here are some facts:

- The network that you have access to is really amazing. In my class (I took the Weekend course) there were engineers from Google, Cisco, Symantec, PwC and Microsoft among other companies. At least half of the class drove every weekend all the way from Silicon Valley to San Francisco just for the course and we all made it to the end. No dropouts.

- The instructors and guest speakers were all experienced professional in their own fields and work for some of the best companies in their area. For example:

- Carlos, taught most of the course. He has co-founded at least 3 companies related to education. One of them got into 500Startups and won the best startup prize at Startup Chile. He was also an instructor at General Assembly.

- AB Testing was taught by a Product Manager at Optimizely

- Online Marketing was taught by a Product Manager at ReTargeter

- Our resume was personally reviewed by a Senior Recruiter at Linkedin

- We did mockup interviews with recruiters from at least 3 companies looking for PMs at that time

- The Demo Day was hosted by Riviera Partners (recruiting firm in SoMa) and they invited several companies looking to hire PMs

- We were asked to provide a few names of companies that we’d like to work for and the Product School team helped with personal introductions to these companies

- We all got our resumes reviewed by Hired.com and were offered to publish them in their site

- We got access to a platform called PerkHub where you find hundreds of discounts and free versions of apps like JustInMind or Balsamiq (Prototyping)

- You get access to the weekly meetups where Product School brings experts in different fields to discuss hot-topics in the Product Management area. I absolutely recommend this meetups, not only for the guest speakers that are always relevant (Founder of Do.com, Nir Eyal author of Hooked, etc), but for the networking.

- We receive every week - even after the course is over- the PM ToolKit, an email with job offers, news, tools and other resources to keep us up to date in the trends in Product Management.

Summarizing, this is probably the best Product Management course you can take in the Bay Area and, at a very reasonable price for a 8-weeks course. It’s even cheap if you think of all the perks included in the tuition. Only the resume review and mock up interviews would cost hundreds of dollars. Not to mention the privileged treatment in some hiring processes at selected companies.

I would recommend this course to any engineer looking to transition from Engineering into a Product Management roll.

My experience with product school was great. Management is very flexible and tailored the course material to cover all aspects of product management.
     Our instructor Shilpa Vir came with a strong background in Product Management with many years of industry experience. She is very knowledgeable and gave many practical examples from her own expertise. Under her guidance and with the knowledge we gained in the class, we were able to successfully deliver our final project starting from setting the product goal & Business objective to GTM strategy & Market funneling.
     Our classes were very interactive, and she encouraged all students to participate in class discussions and share their insights. I would highly recommend Shilpa as instructor to anyone who is interested in taking a course at Product School.
  • Overall Experience:

I enrolled for an 8 week part-time Product Management Certificate and attended the first-week session but decided to withdraw from the course.

Just keep in mind, they are very unsupportive (although understandable) when a student wants to withdraw. And it goes against fundamental ethics in Product Management.

My advice to anyone wanting to enroll for any of the Product School Courses is

• Do your research very well before paying the tuition amount. I mean really well.
    • Most of the reviews here are written by students who are made to write reviews after 2nd week and final week class.
    • Topics taught in the course doesn't get you the job, not even a call if you are trying to transition into PM. Knowing concepts and a mock project is just like reading a book on swimming and mock project is your bath-tub.
    • I withdraw from the course because, I strongly feel, this course makes more impact when you just transitioned to APM/PM Role from your current role or from school.
    Ask as many people as you can, read reviews not just written by Product School students but look for opinions on Blind as well.

• Value Added
    - 5/19/2020
    Anonymous • Product Analysis & Design • Student
    Product School has quite an eclectic group of students - I greatly value the varied perspectives from those across all product management disciplines. Product management tools that I wasn't aware of were brought to my attention. Found the lecture content digestible and most importantly, Professor Joel P. authentically cared about our progression and made himself available to us!

As an added bonus, Product School's slack channel is filled with gems!

I was a part of the Product School cohort in 2017 for its eight weeks Product Management course.

Prior to joining the course, I had served as an associate PM for a year at a startup in the Bay Area but I wanted to learn more about product management to gain an overall understanding of the field.

The first best part of the program was the instructor who was also an active PM at a company in Silicon Valley. So I got to learn what a day to day life as PM entails and what are some pitfalls to avoid and how to approach various situations. The second best part was the diversity of the batch itself. My batch had about 10 students from varied backgrounds such as engineers, designers, and marketers.
    Overall it was a great experience that helped me understand what I need to learn in the future to pivot my career in product management.

- 8/1/2018
    Anonymous • Chief Product Officer • Student

Took this class to sharpen my skills in product management. Great coursework and instructors - would suggest this course to anyone looking to round out their product management skillset.

• Anonymous • Freelancing • Graduate

Throughout my experience, I have gone through product lifecycle in different types of a product without knowing that I'm going through such a thing. Having Product School clearing it up with case study experience from instructors and guest speakers. The work that product school is giving to student help clears up my confusion with product related work and the engaging curricular is fun with classmates of a different work background.

I hope Product School is able to achieve their goal further to bring as many product managers into the tech world where is demanding to bring the whole product together. The job work is still new and soon it will be a full career path.

Now I know where I can improve my craft to work as a full fletch Product Manager. Thank you Product School.

• Anonymous • Management Consultant • Graduate

I took the Product Management course (weekend schedule) in Seattle. They have their own textbook which sets the framework of the class content, but it is still highly dependent on the instructor. I enjoyed my class a lot for the below top 2 reasons:

1)  My instructor Mikko Ollila is a veteran Product Manager with experience in multiple different companies (across industries and org sizes). He was able to demonstrate the topics by giving us plenty of real work examples that come from his professional experience. When we asked questions, he gave us different perspectives rather than "the correct answer". I benefited a lot from learning from him.

2)  My cohort was great. We all come from different organizations and have different backgrounds. We asked questions and shared our own experience during the class, which was truly beneficial to each other. Also, it was a great chance to know more people and make new friends.