manchester-codes-logo

Manchester Codes

Leeds, Manchester

Manchester Codes

Manchester Codes offers part-time coding bootcamps in back end, front end, and full stack software development, both online and at their Manchester campus. The flagship 24 Week Intensive bootcamp covers HTML, CSS and React fundamentals, along with the basics of Node.js, Express, and MongoDB. Students will build portfolios containing several projects to demonstrate their skills for entry-level Software Development roles.

Manchester Codes students need little to no prior coding experience but must have a desire to enter the tech industry with an understanding of JavaScript fundamentals, basic workflow, and programming best practices such as Test-Driven Development, Pair Programming, and Object-Oriented Programming. The application process involves course-specific technical challenges to gauge students’ potential.

Manchester Codes strongly encourage applicants from underrepresented groups. Our part-time and evening classes exist to help decrease the digital skills gap and lack of diversity within the tech industry. For all those who complete the course, we offer career guidance in writing CVs and cover letters, approaches to technical tests, and interview preparation.

Recent Manchester Codes Reviews: Rating 4.76

all (17) reviews for Manchester Codes →

Recent Manchester Codes News

• Software Engineer FastTrack

Cost£5,500
      LocationLeeds, Manchester
      Our flagship 24-week intensive course covers the fundamentals of JavaScript, including key programming concepts. It later delves into frontend development with React, HTML and CSS, before moving onto backend development with Node.js, Express, and MySQL. Over the duration of the course students build up portfolios containing several projects to demonstrate the skills necessary to obtain an entry-level Software Development role.
      Deposit£1,000
      Option to pay interest free over 12 months.
      ScholarshipManchester Codes offers a £500 discount to applicants who identify as a woman or non-binary, BAME or disabled.
      Minimum Skill LevelBeginner friendly
      Prep WorkApplicants are required to take our free online Introduction to Programming course (20-25 hours of study) prior to course start.
    • Life Changer
      - 5/11/2022
      Dan Hembery  User Photo
      Dan Hembery • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      After spending 12 years as a general manager in hospitality I wanted to pursue a career in tech, something I had wanted to do since leaving school. I had completed the free course they offer a few times over the years, but hadn’t taken the plunge until now, and so glad that I did.

I was completely new to coding, other than a brief into to C++ in college (about 2 weeks worth) and had reservations about how quickly I could learn the skills to change career.

The course starts at an easy pace, guides you through setting up your machine, a look at some of the common developing languages (HTML, JavaScript) and builds upwards from there.

You study twice a week in the evenings for 3 hours, where tutors give detailed lectures, provide support, and just generally create an environment where your class can ask questions and share ideas. You’ll build small projects on the side which you can work on in your free time, and all the team at Manchester codes are readily available to you via Slack if you want to reach out to them, even if just for a general chat. There’s Saturday drop in sessions which are optional but a good way to meet people in your cohort and to get one to one help from a tutor if you need it.

One of the main benefits of choosing Manchester Codes is that you are entering into a supportive community of past and present students / tutors / external hiring managers, who genuinely want to see you succeed. Past students/tutors pass back job opportunities from the companies they work for, hiring managers look to employ students from Manchester Codes specifically and advertise their roles directly, and there is a dedicated careers advisor with great connections who will help you get your foot in the door.

Like any learning, you get out what you put in.. I only needed to spend a couple hours of my free time to begin with, and by the end of the course It was about 15-20… but I quickly learned to love what I was doing and further my knowledge, and gained the confidence I needed to not only apply, but be successful in getting my first tech job, before I’d even finished the course, and I’m so happy I took that first step 6 months ago.

For anyone wanting to get into this industry and is unsure of how.. this is the perfect place to start.
    • Khalid Safy  User Photo
      Khalid Safy • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      I would gladly recommend Manchester Codes to anyone considering a career change into software engineering.

Completing a boot camp was a decision I considered and weighed for a long time before finally pulling the trigger. I was concerned about the viability of switching careers with no prior experience and whether a boot camp could realistically prepare you/ultimately help get you a job in the industry. I can safely say that my experience with Manchester Codes was everything I could have hoped for and more.

I considered a number of boot camps initially, but settled on Manchester Codes due to the comparatively lower cost and positive online reviews. I wondered whether more expensive boot camps would be worth the difference and whether that difference would ultimately count towards preparing me for a successful entry into the industry. I can safely say that this was the best value for money move I've ever made.

The tutors were reassuring, patient and understanding throughout. As someone who went into the course somewhat anxious about whether it was possible, this was key in helping me maintain a positive approach on the course. There is a good mix of tutors/mentors who have gone through the boot camp route themselves and also those that took a more traditional route. Everyone was always willing to help in any way you could want, but it's important to remember that you have to be willing to identify when you need help and to seek it. There is a high concentration of really awesome people in the Manchester Codes community and you will be part of that throughout and following the course.

The course content itself was nice and practical with a good variety of challenges and resources. The projects you build track well with your learning progress and maintain an ideal level of difficulty all the way through.

The post-course assistance was really helpful and the role I ultimately landed came through a referral from the course recruiter. I was assisted with CV reviews and general advice on interviewing all the way through.

If you've spent some time looking into development as a career and practised on your own to be sure that this is something you want to commit to, then you will not go wrong with Manchester Codes. It's important to ensure you can commit 14-21(ish) hours a week consistently throughout. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help, everyone is happy to assist and have been there before.

Good luck and don't stress!
    • Alex  User Photo
      Alex • White • Student Verified via GitHub
      The instructors are very knowledgeable and are always available for support or feedback. The course material is excellent and you learn real world skills with the projects you do.
      The pace of the course is intense but very satisfying to see how much you learn in such a short period of time.
      The careers advice during the course is priceless and if you put the effort in you will have no problems getting an interview / job offer.
      Not only do you learn new skills but you become part of an amazing community that continues after the course.

• Dean  User Photo
      Dean • Software and Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      Great course ran by people who care about your time on the course, your progress, and helping to find you a job after. I went from a very different career into software/web development, and thanks to throwing myself deeply I found a job just before completing it. I made good friends from my cohort, and it is lovely to be part of a thriving community. Fully recommend to anyone looking to enter coding as a career.
    • Aishah   User Photo
      Aishah • Junior Front End Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      It's been a few months since I finished Manchester Codes and it's safe to say I would not be securing a Front End Engineer role now, when I didn't even know the basics less than a year ago without Manchester Codes.
      I was looking for a bootcamp that I would be able to manage along side my busy full time job and MC stood out for me more than other schools due to all their success stories, as well as them making a conscious effort to make the course more accessible for under-represented people. The price of the course is reasonable compared with other coding schools, however it is a lot of money to have to commit to, so having the diversity grant available definitely made it more accessible for me.

The course itself was probably one of the toughest things I've done to date - very fast paced it does require a lot of commitment (20 hours a week is recommended) however I did find myself spending every spare minute I had working on projects! The tutors are really helpful, approachable and have the very up to date knowledge on development so no questions went unanswered. In terms of the content delivery - I did find it a bit powerpoint heavy and wordy when it came to projects and I found myself looking for more video content that would aid my learning. I think adding more of this in would make MC even better.

If you are looking for a coding school, I would highly recommend Manchester Codes. Even after finishing the bootcamp I still feel part of the community and the team have been more than happy to give me advice and support as I begin my new career. One piece of advice I would give is before jumping straight in, do some self learning beforehand and familiarise yourself with terminology and basic concepts; I think this would have made my experience a bit easier as I would have been able to pick up new concepts faster than I did, and probably would have spent fewer evening shouting at my computer!
    • Billy Morrison  User Photo
      Billy Morrison • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
      When looking for courses it was absolutely crucial to me to find a part time boot camp so that I could keep a roof over my head while developing my career. Manchester Codes provided this perfectly giving me the flexibility to really dive into the course material and lectures whilst still holding down my job. The course itself was challenging, offering core modules and additional optional projects should you have a good knowledge of the tools. The stand out feature for me was the level of support. Manchester Codes has built a great network of like minded developers eager to help each other learn. I am pleased to say that I have now landed my first junior developer role at a large tech company thanks to the wonderful team at Manchester Codes.
    • Anna  User Photo
      Anna • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
      I'm just finishing the 6 month part-time Software Engineering Fast Track course. Overall, I'm really pleased I decided to join Manchester Codes. I've learnt a lot in a relatively short space of time and I've met some truly amazing people - both staff and fellow students.

The big plus - I've just landed my first role as a developer! While I could have gotten to this point on my own eventually, I know I wouldn't be here now without Manchester Codes. The career guidance, CV help, support + encouragement and networking opportunities provided by various members of the team were major factors in building my confidence and job-readyness.

The tutors are all knowledgeable and experienced and the round the clock support via Slack exceeded my expectations. Also, they are all lovely easy-to-talk-to people who help create a relaxed and friendly atmosphere in the cohort, which can be challenging when remote (especially as previously they were not remote).

The course content, I believe, gives a reasonable enough grounding in the included topics and if you complete all the projects and study related concepts and topics, you will be ready to apply for jobs at the end or soon after the end of the course.

However, this will not happen just by attending lectures and following the walkthroughs. It is really important that to get the most out of a course like this that we take responsibility for our own progress and dedicate an extra 15-20 hours a week to studying/coding. This will require some strict time management and self-discipline if you are working full-time. And perhaps some favours from partners/family to help lessen your homelife responsibilities if possible.

I had already done a Udemy web development course before I started at Manchester Codes and this meant that much of what I learnt with Manchester Codes was already partly familiar to me. I found having this foundation really helped - Manchester Codes went further on each topic and I was able to build on this previously gained understanding. I think this made it easier for me than some others who were starting from near 0. For this course and any bootcamp, you will find you need to use materials from other sources such as FreeCodeCamp to help support your learning - and there's not much point in the bootcamps recreating what's already out there, so I think it's fair enough.

Things in my opinion Manchester Codes could improve:

Materials

The projects are well chosen and their outcomes useful and educational, but some guides were confusingly written, and there were some mistakes in places which caused frustration for students when projects didn't work properly (all problems were solved though!). Also, they are all text-based, more visuals would be appreciated, perhaps even videos.

Lectures

Sometimes lectures felt disjointed from the project we were working on. All topics were useful, but for me, it would have been better to tie in lectures to the project being worked on at the time. Also more lectures needed exercises and practical elements. I'm not a fan of lectures about programming to be honest. It's hard to take in especially after a day's work! Shorter lectures with exercises for us to try during class time would have been more effective. This was done at some points but mostly not. (And when we did get to do exercises in class it was really fun!)

Recap - things they are great at:

-Teaching programming skills - code alongs, demos, explanations
      -Setting projects that will help you get job-ready
      -Support with all your coding woes
      -Careers Support
      -Networking
      -Community building
      -Taking feedback - they ask for it every week and often adapt accordingly
    • Khalid Nur • Graduate
      Brilliant from start to finish. The course material and teachers really blew me away. The course teachers work in the tech industry also which means your getting the most up-to date techniques and best practices! Worth it for sure !!!
    • Shabina • Junior software developer • Graduate
      Studying coding with Manchester Codes was the best decision I made. From the supportive mentors and tutors, excellent learning materials and lectures and the supportive community they have created, I feel very lucky to have been a part of it!

The course is intense, and you do have to commit atleast 20 hours on top of the 6 hours per week of classes, so be sure you’re able to make that time commitment before undertaking the course. I would also recommend doing some free courses online (such as free code camp) so you have some knowledge of the concepts beforehand which will definitely give you a head start.

The support with finding a job is also great! From CV reviews, general tips, the lunch and learn videos with various companies, I felt very supported and less overwhelmed when it came to applying for jobs and I truly believe I would not have gotten a job less than 1 month after graduating had it not been for the guidance Manchester codes provided.

• Dave • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate
      It’s thanks to Manchester Codes that I landed my first job as a software engineer! Their course is specifically designed to give students the skills and experience they’ll need to enter the industry. The team were super friendly and supportive, as were my co-students, so although the course was hard work it was also a lot of fun. If you’re looking for a route into software development Manchester Codes is definitely worth checking out!
    • Scott Hannabuss • Frontend Software Engineer
      Over lockdown I decided I needed a career change. I was working in recruitment and although I didn't dislike the role I knew it wasn't what I wanted to be doing for the rest of my life either. Full-time bootcamps were out of the question as I could not afford to give up working full-time, so Manchester Codes was the perfect option. The course is intense and is a big commitment (the 20 hours per week of independent study the course recommends outside of lectures is a realistic expectation), however it was worth every hour and every penny. The tutors and classmates were so supportive, and the careers guidance was vital in me securing a full-time role in software development.
    • Aniko • Graduate
      My experience with Manchester Codes was great. I mean it was possibly one of the toughest period of my life, even if I have had lots of experiences in working and studying. The course is really intense but in the same time it was also one of the most rewarding experience in my life. Apart from the usual challenges, my cohort faced Covid, only few weeks after we started. Manchester Codes as an organization handled it wonderfully though and overcome the difficulties quickly. I have to mention that in my opinion - even if the tutors are there and helped us to find every silly typos in the code - the course is not for those who expect non-stop hand holding. It prepared us for the real word where indeed our best friend is google.  I secured my first developer position at a wonderful startup after 2.5 months. From my point of view the course prepared me for the job as I was able to do some real work after the first few weeks already.